PDA

View Full Version : NCAAT: South Region Discussion Thread (Kansas/Nova)

JBDuke
03-13-2016, 07:40 PM
This is the collector thread for the South Regional contests for the first two weekends of the NCAA Men's Tournament. It's also for picking who you think will win the region.

gurufrisbee
03-13-2016, 07:49 PM
Every team in the top nine other than Kansas and Miami is wildly overrated.

Saratoga2
03-13-2016, 08:25 PM
Kansas is the top #1 seed for a reason, although they also have had trouble advancing with good teams in the past. Villanova has the same history so I am picking a bit of a dark horse. Maryland looks good on paper, but they too seem to be missing team chemistry. I am going with Cal as the most likely dark horse to make the final 4.

luburch
03-14-2016, 07:38 AM
I hope Nova doesn't flop this year for their sake. Tired of hearing about how poorly they perform in the tournament each year.

TexHawk
03-14-2016, 10:04 AM
Well, my gast is officially flabbered. Chicago makes about a million times more sense for KU. Huge alumni base, familiarity with the venue, TexHawk already had tickets, etc. I guess I should be happy that KU didn't end up there with Michigan State (my nightmare scenario), but geez, it would have been so easy to swap UVA/MSU into the South, and KU/Villanova into the Midwest.

It appears to me that Nova's loss to Seton Hall messed everything up. The committee couldn't justify putting them with UNC, with the regional games in Nova's backyard. So they had to be moved somewhere, and they wanted to give MSU some sort of reward for winning the Big10 Tournament. But putting KU in Louisville meant that they had to bend over backwards to keep Xavier, Indiana, UK, and Purdue away from there, for fear of the #1 seed being disadvantaged.

Frustrating but also fascinating.

whereinthehellami
03-14-2016, 10:55 AM
There are some potentially interesting second round games in this bracket; Md-Cal, Az-Miami, and Temple-Nova. Md looks good on paper and has loads of potential but something is wrong, locker room?

Bluedog
03-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Well, my gast is officially flabbered. Chicago makes about a million times more sense for KU. Huge alumni base, familiarity with the venue, TexHawk already had tickets, etc. I guess I should be happy that KU didn't end up there with Michigan State (my nightmare scenario), but geez, it would have been so easy to swap UVA/MSU into the South, and KU/Villanova into the Midwest.

It appears to me that Nova's loss to Seton Hall messed everything up. The committee couldn't justify putting them with UNC, with the regional games in Nova's backyard. So they had to be moved somewhere, and they wanted to give MSU some sort of reward for winning the Big10 Tournament. But putting KU in Louisville meant that they had to bend over backwards to keep Xavier, Indiana, UK, and Purdue away from there, for fear of the #1 seed being disadvantaged.

Frustrating but also fascinating.

I don't get it either, but I would have think that if KU did get Chicago, MSU would definitely have been the #2 there as the top 2 seed (unless they changed the rules from last year...). In the past, as long as they somewhat balance it with the 3s and 4s, doesn't matter if a region has the top 1 and 2. They give priority to geography for those teams and Chicago is the preferred site for MSU and KU (I thought). I would also like to know the committee's rationale for giving KU the South over the Midwest. Tough region and was really glad that Cal got revealed instead of us as the #4 as I was getting nervous (and as the "top" #4 seed as revealed on the full seeding list after the brackets were released, I'd think we WOULD have been sent to Louisville - another odd geographic decision, but one I'm good with...).

Troublemaker
03-14-2016, 12:42 PM
Fred Van Fleet and Ron Baker are seniors. Will be interesting to see how far they can take it in their last go-round in the tourney.

It starts tomorrow against Vandy. The #12 Kenpom team Wichita St is in a play-in game.

Doria
03-17-2016, 11:13 AM
Cal's leading scorer fractured his hand, forcing me to change my pick to MD :(

brevity
03-17-2016, 03:43 PM
Cal's leading scorer fractured his hand, forcing me to change my pick to MD :(

Cal’s Tyrone Wallace to miss NCAA Tournament with broken hand (http://www.sfchronicle.com/collegesports/article/Cal-s-Tyrone-Wallace-to-miss-first-round-NCAA-6895910.php?t=6958884035).

Wallace, the lone scholarship senior in Cal’s rotation, is averaging a team-best 15.3 points with 5.3 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game. He is coming off a season-high 26 points in the Bears’ overtime loss to Utah last week in the Pac-12 tournament semifinals.

pfrduke
03-18-2016, 12:02 AM
My picking philosophy this year was to pick against the Pac-12, which I thought was completely overrated all season. My one exception to that was Arizona. Whoops.

g-money
03-18-2016, 01:06 AM
It looks like Gary Williams has a new protege in Sean Miller:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/story/_/id/15001573/arizona-coach-sean-miller-sweated-shirt-much-had-change-half

jjasper0729
03-18-2016, 05:57 AM
It looks like Gary Williams has a new protege in Sean Miller:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/story/_/id/15001573/arizona-coach-sean-miller-sweated-shirt-much-had-change-half

somebody go to target and buy that man a pack of undershirts!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2016, 06:20 AM
somebody go to target and buy that man a pack of undershirts!

Yeah, he was the subject of much ridicule in the house where I was watching the game. Most common comment of the night from women was "wow, where's that guy's wife?" From men it was "he's a one man wet tee shirt contest."

Billy Dat
03-18-2016, 09:31 AM
Fred Van Fleet and Ron Baker are seniors. Will be interesting to see how far they can take it in their last go-round in the tourney.

It starts tomorrow against Vandy. The #12 Kenpom team Wichita St is in a play-in game.

After the waxing they put on Arizona last night, I think this team can actually win the whole dang thing!

They can beat Miami, if the seeds hold they can certainly beat Villanova, and that would set up Bill Self's worst nightmare, playing them in a regional final one year past when the Shockers upset them in the second round. If they get to Houston, they will be completely confident that they can win the whole thing. They (Fred and Ron - sounds like the Weasleys) have more NCAA tournament games under their belt then any other backcourt. In this year of parity and "seniors" wouldn't it be fitting for the Shockers to Shock the World?

Aside from our Blue Devils, I am on the Shockers bandwagon.

Troublemaker
03-18-2016, 12:27 PM
After the waxing they put on Arizona last night, I think this team can actually win the whole dang thing!

They can beat Miami, if the seeds hold they can certainly beat Villanova, and that would set up Bill Self's worst nightmare, playing them in a regional final one year past when the Shockers upset them in the second round. If they get to Houston, they will be completely confident that they can win the whole thing. They (Fred and Ron - sounds like the Weasleys) have more NCAA tournament games under their belt then any other backcourt. In this year of parity and "seniors" wouldn't it be fitting for the Shockers to Shock the World?

Aside from our Blue Devils, I am on the Shockers bandwagon.

No doubt, I'm on the bandwagon as well, BDat!

So far so good, as you said. The Shockers pounded fellow "11 seed" Vanderbilt by 20 in the play-in game, then smothered 6-seed Arizona last night, 65-55.

They are now 2.5-pt favorites over Miami.

If I were one of the 5 fans in the country rooting for 3-seed Miami, I would be somewhat upset that the 6-seed lost and yet somehow my team is going to be an underdog in the Round of 32.

As a Duke fan, I'm just glad Wichita St wasn't a 12 seed in the West instead of an 11 seed in the South.

RepoMan
03-18-2016, 12:54 PM
No doubt, I'm on the bandwagon as well, BDat!

Agree with all of that, and I think they will keep rolling. It is kind of too bad they are matched up against Miami though. Larranaga has shown that he knows how to coach in the tournament.

JetpackJesus
03-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Great game from Hawaii today. Happy to see them perform well.

Edouble
03-18-2016, 07:28 PM
Great game from Hawaii today. Happy to see them perform well.

They're gonna have to lei it all on the line against the Terps.

JetpackJesus
03-18-2016, 08:35 PM
So I just saw the replay of the final basket in the Iowa/Temple game. They had an above the rim angle that showed a pretty egregious push in the back by the Iowa player who scored the game winner. I would be an angry Owl if I cared about Temple.

CDu
03-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Wichita St playing shockingly bad, and Miami playing with unbelievable confidence. It is 27-6 Miami. WSU might set a new low for points in a half in the tourney at the pace

Mabdul Doobakus
03-19-2016, 12:39 PM
Wichita St playing shockingly bad, and Miami playing with unbelievable confidence. It is 27-6 Miami. WSU might set a new low for points in a half in the tourney at the pace

Pretty surprising, given that Wichita St was favored in this game. I wonder if that's the first time an 11 seed was favored against a 3 seed. I wonder if it will be the last.

Still a lot of time left, though...

And as I say that, a 9-0 run for Wichita St. Wouldn't be the first time I'd seen a team down 20+ points in the first of half of a tourney game come back to win.

CDu
03-19-2016, 01:07 PM
Pretty surprising, given that Wichita St was favored in this game. I wonder if that's the first time an 11 seed was favored against a 3 seed. I wonder if it will be the last.

Still a lot of time left, though...

And as I say that, a 9-0 run for Wichita St. Wouldn't be the first time I'd seen a team down 20+ points in the first of half of a tourney game come back to win.

They are chalking it up to fatigue, as they are plating on very short rest for the third game in 4 days. Kind of unfair for them to play the late night game Thursday and then the noon game Saturday.

Indoor66
03-19-2016, 01:30 PM
They are chalking it up to fatigue, as they are plating on very short rest for the third game in 4 days. Kind of unfair for them to play the late night game Thursday and then the noon game Saturday.

Ya buys your tickets and ya takes your chances.

CDu
03-19-2016, 01:39 PM
The Shockers are scrappy. They have cut it to 5, and Miami looks flummoxed. If WSU has legs left, the stretch run should be fun to watch.

Mabdul Doobakus
03-19-2016, 01:42 PM
Miami has completely lost its nerve here. Would be a pretty rough loss.

CDu
03-19-2016, 01:45 PM
WSU is on a 37-15 run and now has the lead. Holy cow.

Mabdul Doobakus
03-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Miami failing to even take a shot on many of their possessions. 15 turnovers now. Only 29 shots to Wichita State's 44. Miami shooting 55% to Wichita State's 36%, you'd think they'd be well ahead.

pfrduke
03-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Miami failing to even take a shot on many of their possessions. 15 turnovers now. Only 29 shots to Wichita State's 44. Miami shooting 55% to Wichita State's 36%, you'd think they'd be well ahead.

Nice response by Miami to push the lead back out to 7 after WSU came all the way back. They got their composure back after completely losing their composure, which is not an easy thing to do.

CDu
03-19-2016, 02:02 PM
Nice response by Miami to push the lead back out to 7 after WSU came all the way back. They got their composure back after completely losing their composure, which is not an easy thing to do.

Yup. They pulled it together seemingly just in time, and are now back in the driver's seat. Scrappy game. Both teams expending a lot of energy.

mapei
03-19-2016, 02:10 PM
Miami in a great position now. Can't believe I'm rooting for them.

BandAlum83
03-19-2016, 02:10 PM
What more to say..taking over when it's on the line

CDu
03-19-2016, 02:13 PM
Miami got Good Rodriguez today. An unbelievably inconsistent player, but he brought it today.

BandAlum83
03-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Miami got Good Rodriguez today. An unbelievably inconsistent player, but he brought it today.

He brought it the first half (7/7 16 points), and the last 3 minutes of the game (10 points)

He was MIA (no pun intended) during the shockers big comeback.

jv001
03-19-2016, 02:36 PM
I found my self rooting for Miami today. After hearing Angel's post game interview shortly after the game ended, I love his thanking his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! GoDuke!

Mabdul Doobakus
03-19-2016, 02:46 PM
Yeah, hard to turn it back around when things are falling apart like that, but sometimes you see one team expend so much energy on a comeback that they seem to have nothing left once the comeback is done, which may have happened here. Wichita St could have easily just run out of gas.

Admittedly, I wasn't able to watch the last 8 minutes or so, just followed it on my phone, so I don't really know what happened. Maybe Miami just started to hit some timely 3's. On to the next round.

dukelifer
03-19-2016, 08:50 PM
Kansas pulling a Duke- blowing out their opponent at the half. Happy to see UConn fans suffer after all the suffering they made me do over the years.

uh_no
03-19-2016, 08:52 PM
Kansas pulling a Duke- blowing out their opponent at the half. Happy to see UConn fans suffer after all the suffering they made me do over the years.

uconn fans realized how bad this team was offensively....and that they were probably going to lose to kansas.

Source: am a uconn fan.

Troublemaker
03-19-2016, 08:55 PM

uconn fans realized how bad this team was offensively...and that they were probably going to lose to kansas.

Source: am a uconn fan.

I sometimes go into a game expecting a Duke loss, but I still suffer if they are pounded. The score is 44-21 as I type this! Of course, that rarely happens and the quick cure is to turn off the game. Then, you don't suffer.

uh_no
03-19-2016, 09:02 PM
I sometimes go into a game expecting a Duke loss, but I still suffer if they are pounded. The score is 44-21 as I type this! Of course, that rarely happens and the quick cure is to turn off the game. Then, you don't suffer.

this butler uva game is turning out quite nicely :)

Doria
03-19-2016, 09:03 PM

Well, I still hold 1999 and 2004 against them, but I wouldn't have minded seeing them win against Kansas, whom I also dislike (you guys may reasonably observe that it seems I dislike every non-Duke team, and that may not be entirely untrue, but I reserve particular dislike for the ones we've lost to in the NCAAT; heck, I really didn't want Louisville in the ACC because I am still not over 1986).

jipops
03-19-2016, 10:06 PM
Kansas seems to know how to close. Impressive finish.

Faustus
03-20-2016, 12:24 PM
Well, at least that UConn mom in the terrible Buffalo Wild Wings commercial won't be gone from her kids "for a week... maybe longer" anymore. Art School grad dad can once again lord over her how much better his degree is than hers, too. Back home you go, Mom!

BD80
03-20-2016, 12:40 PM
Well, at least that UConn mom in the terrible Buffalo Wild Wings commercial won't be gone from her kids "for a week... maybe longer" anymore. Art School grad dad can once again lord over her how much better his degree is than hers, too. Back home you go, Mom!

"for a week... hopefully longer"

dukelifer
03-20-2016, 12:58 PM
Kansas seems to know how to close. Impressive finish.

Nova putting on a clinic. Wow

DukieInKansas
03-20-2016, 08:40 PM

Unless they are watching the women's tournament.

Ultrarunner
03-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Rasheed just took over against Hawaii and triggered a big run.

dukelifer
03-20-2016, 08:52 PM
Rasheed just took over against Hawaii and triggered a big run.

clearly he learned that by playing at Duke

Faustus
03-20-2016, 08:54 PM
Touche

royalblue
03-20-2016, 08:57 PM
I know the tourney can not look out for everything but if The rainbow warriors had pulled this off should they not have been put in the West because of how far they have to travel already?

gurufrisbee
03-21-2016, 01:37 AM
I know the tourney can not look out for everything but if The rainbow warriors had pulled this off should they not have been put in the West because of how far they have to travel already?

I heard them say the basketball team has been on the mainland for three weeks now. *cough* student-athlete *cough*

I like the title change, but you left the "w" out of Maryland's name.

BandAlum83
03-21-2016, 01:24 PM

Ouch! My latent bias just smacked me in the face. That never occurred to me.

As a self aware, white male, I do like to be made aware of any bias I make retain. But to be fair, the women's tournament doesn't cost the US economy billions in lost productivity.

DukieInKansas
03-21-2016, 01:43 PM
Ouch! My latent bias just smacked me in the face. That never occurred to me.

As a self aware, white male, I do like to be made aware of any bias I make retain. But to be fair, the women's tournament doesn't cost the US economy billions in lost productivity.

True, the women's tournament isn't as much a money maker. For some reason I always thought the women were getting together for the women's tournament in this ad. Must be an anti-UConn men's team bias on my part. The UConn women's team is much more likely to stay around for all 3 weeks than their men's team.

pfrduke
03-24-2016, 07:38 PM
When Bad Angel Rodriguez shows up Miami is such a disjointed team. They really rise and fall depending on whether or not he's on his game and so far tonight, not.

pfrduke
03-24-2016, 07:44 PM
And then Good Angel Rodriguez shows up and the Canes go on a 12-0 run.

Troublemaker
03-24-2016, 08:07 PM
When Bad Angel Rodriguez shows up Miami is such a disjointed team. They really rise and fall depending on whether or not he's on his game and so far tonight, not.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/181/407000742_544ee4a604.jpg

dukelifer
03-24-2016, 08:47 PM

Nova plays very fast.

gocanes0506
03-24-2016, 08:52 PM
Nova making Miami look bad. The Nova vs Kansas game should to be good.

dukelifer
03-24-2016, 08:55 PM
Nova making Miami look bad. The Nova vs Kansas game should to be good.

Nova peaking a game early. Still they are impressive tonight.

Doria
03-24-2016, 08:57 PM
I will admit that I probably didn't take Nova as seriously as I should have. Making Miami look really terrible.

Duke79UNLV77
03-24-2016, 09:00 PM
Wish Nova were in Carolina's region.

dukelifer
03-24-2016, 09:03 PM
Wish Nova were in Carolina's region.

You don't want to have your best game in the sweet 16. But Nova has been rolling so far in the tourney. Still hard to trust them.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2016, 09:44 PM
So much for an all-ACC Final Four. How about 3 ACC plus Maryland? With Maryland losing first, of course.

gumbomoop
03-26-2016, 04:52 PM
You don't want to have your best game in the sweet 16. But Nova has been rolling so far in the tourney. Still hard to trust them.

I assume almost all are in full-out ABC-mode right now. I and quite a few others have said UVa is our second-favorite ACC team, so perhaps they would top a hypothetical EK preference poll for the 2016 NC. I would think a Hoos-Heels semi would be roughly a toss-up, with Heels a slight favorite. Sure hope Bennett, Brogdan, Gill bring it against Cuse.

For purposes of tonight's games, I further assume most strongly prefer to see KU top Nova, as the Heels must be solid favorites tomorrow. I won't count out ND, but having to assume the Heels make the FF, I feel nearly obligated to root for KU tonight. But I prefer to see Nova win with another impressive game.

I don't watch much bball outside the ACC, and haven't seen much of this NCAAT. So, 2 questions: Does KU likely match up with Heels better than does Nova? And are almost all of you hoping that KU wins tonight?

dukelifer
03-26-2016, 05:00 PM
I assume almost all are in full-out ABC-mode right now. I and quite a few others have said UVa is our second-favorite ACC team, so perhaps they would top a hypothetical EK preference poll for the 2016 NC. I would think a Hoos-Heels semi would be roughly a toss-up, with Heels a slight favorite. Sure hope Bennett, Brogdan, Gill bring it against Cuse.

For purposes of tonight's games, I further assume most strongly prefer to see KU top Nova, as the Heels must be solid favorites tomorrow. I won't count out ND, but having to assume the Heels make the FF, I feel nearly obligated to root for KU tonight. But I prefer to see Nova win with another impressive game.

I don't watch much bball outside the ACC, and haven't seen much of this NCAAT. So, 2 questions: Does KU likely match up with Heels better than does Nova? And are almost all of you hoping that KU wins tonight?
I would say yes. Kansas has good balance and depth. Nova can beat anyone as they can shoot the ball and go fast- but no real size.

Doria
03-26-2016, 08:44 PM

State is my second favorite... team (technically, or what's left of one). But I like UVA, too, and would be happy for them to win it this year. I can usually find reasons to cheer for most of the traditional ACC teams with the exception being our 15-501 neighbors.

And yes, I have watched several Kansas games throughout the year (maybe 3-5), with varying degrees of attention, and I'd imagine that they are the better match up for Carolina. Nova looked awfully good last round, but their style is exactly the way Carolina likes to play, without the size. I mean, if Nova shoots the lights out, they can realistically beat almost anyone, but I don't see them withstanding an average night against the better teams left.

Certainly, I actually like Nova quite a bit better than Kansas, but my interests are squarely in seeing Carolina lose, so I've gotta keep my lunch down and pull for Kansas.

dukelifer
03-26-2016, 09:20 PM
State is my second favorite... team (technically, or what's left of one). But I like UVA, too, and would be happy for them to win it this year. I can usually find reasons to cheer for most of the traditional ACC teams with the exception being our 15-501 neighbors.

And yes, I have watched several Kansas games throughout the year (maybe 3-5), with varying degrees of attention, and I'd imagine that they are the better match up for Carolina. Nova looked awfully good last round, but their style is exactly the way Carolina likes to play, without the size. I mean, if Nova shoots the lights out, they can realistically beat almost anyone, but I don't see them withstanding an average night against the better teams left.

Certainly, I actually like Nova quite a bit better than Kansas, but my interests are squarely in seeing Carolina lose, so I've gotta keep my lunch down and pull for Kansas.

Nova is making Kansas work. They are better than I thought. Good game.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-26-2016, 09:30 PM
Nova is making Kansas work. They are better than I thought. Good game.

Tense well-played game. Real athletes on both teams. Fun to watch.

dukelifer
03-26-2016, 09:39 PM
Tense well-played game. Real athletes on both teams. Fun to watch.

7 point lead. Kansas feeling the pressure. Nova is not scared.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-26-2016, 10:38 PM
Crazy shots and great intensity. Two heavyweights.

dukelifer
03-26-2016, 10:44 PM
Crazy shots and great intensity. Two heavyweights.

4 point game with 3 minutes left. Nova showing grit. Could two number 1's go down?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-26-2016, 10:49 PM
Building to a crazy finish.

dukelifer
03-26-2016, 10:53 PM
Building to a crazy finish.

What a ball game.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-26-2016, 10:55 PM
Little bit of everything.

Cue my obligatory rant about "going to the monitor" and how it kills the flow of an excellent game.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-26-2016, 10:57 PM
This is the closest high caliber game of the tourney so far.

dukelifer
03-26-2016, 10:58 PM
Little bit of everything.

Cue my obligatory rant about "going to the monitor" and how it kills the flow of an excellent game.

A little hesitation and it looks like Kansas is out.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Here we go back to the monitors...

duke09hms
CMon Kansas, no way Nova can hang with UNC ...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-26-2016, 10:59 PM
Nice strategy by Villanova on the inbound

dukelifer
03-26-2016, 11:00 PM
over

wavedukefan70s
03-26-2016, 11:01 PM
My brackets dead.im having to ride my wifes bracket. Whom i might add picks her teams by the prettiest colors......smh

dukelifer
03-26-2016, 11:02 PM
CMon Kansas, no way Nova can hang with UNC ...

Can only hope for a miracle tomorrow. Nova is a crazy tough team though. Time to burn my bracket- it's done.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-26-2016, 11:02 PM
Really great game. Nova's 10-0 run to go from down 5 to 5 ahead early in the second half was the difference maker.

Scrappy, talented team of great shooters. Nova/OU is going to be fun.

Tomorrow, the second ACC tournament starts.

dukelifer
03-26-2016, 11:07 PM
Really great game. Nova's 10-0 run to go from down 5 to 5 ahead early in the second half was the difference maker.

Scrappy, talented team of great shooters. Nova/OU is going to be fun.

Tomorrow, the second ACC tournament starts.

They had not been hitting at all in the 2nd half and then got on a roll. They are a good team that plays well together.

Doria
03-26-2016, 11:30 PM
Wow, I totally stand corrected on Villanova's strength. I am just so used to early exits from them that I couldn't take them seriously.

Oklahoma-Villanova sounds like a great game. But regardless of the winner, I think that with Virginia's pace, Carolina has a significant advantage if they can make it through their next two games. That isn't to say they're guaranteed to win, but I don't see any real way they won't be the fresher team (unless, inexplicably, they get down big, and spend all game having to play from behind, but Virginia's just not a great team if one wants that specific result). Down to three bullets against them. Let's hope Easter is kind to the Irish.

jipops
03-26-2016, 11:34 PM
There is very little standing between the cheats and their 1st title with eligible players in 34 years. Such a bummer that Kansas lost.

Blue KevIL
03-27-2016, 12:29 AM
With the Kansas loss, the AP #1 team going into the tournament has now failed to win the NCAA Tournament in 34 of the past 40 seasons (1977-2016).

The six teams to break through and win a National Championship: Kentucky-78, North Carolina-82, Duke-92, UCLA-95, Duke-01 & Kentucky-12.

In the first 28 years of the NCAA Tournament coinciding with the AP Poll (1949-1976), the AP #1 team going into the tournament won 15 Championships.
UCLA 7: (64, 67, 69, 71, 72, 73, 75), Indiana 2:(53, 76), Kentucky 2: (49, 51), San Francisco 2: (55, 56), North Carolina 1: (57) & NC State 1: (74).

gofurman
03-27-2016, 12:45 AM
Can only hope for a miracle tomorrow. Nova is a crazy tough team though. Time to burn my bracket- it's done.

Do you all really not think Nova has much chance were they to play unc? I mean, they beat Kansas who was supposedly the best.. And crushed everyone prior including Miami - that one gives me hope. They blew Miami out.

I don't hold out much hope for notes dame... ^*%*^ But who of the remaining teams do you think could beat unc in order of likelihood ?

I would say UVA (great D team, no fear of unc from prior matchup)... Then Nova, then Oklahoma. In that order. Do you all disagree? Do you think it better that we pull for Oklahoma? Nova plays some great team ball and can bury threes most nights and Ochefu is a load. No hope for ND or the Cus. What do you all think are the three best teams to challenge unc? In order?

Blue KevIL
03-27-2016, 01:14 AM
In the first 28 years of the NCAA Tournament coinciding with the AP Poll (1949-1976), the AP #1 team going into the tournament won 15 Championships.
UCLA 7: (64, 67, 69, 71, 72, 73, 75), Indiana 2: (53, 76), Kentucky 2: (49, 51), San Francisco 2: (55, 56), North Carolina 1: (57) & NC State 1: (74).

CORRECTION: Should be 14 of 28 seasons. UCLA was not ranked #1 going into the 1975 NCAA Tournament -- Indiana was #1.
The AP Poll continued to release polls during the NCAA Tournament in 1973-74 & 1974-75.
NC State was #1 in 1974 and also won.
Indiana lost to Kentucky in the 1975 Elite Eight; UCLA was ranked #1 going into the 1975 Final Four.

duke09hms
03-27-2016, 01:19 AM
Do you all really not think Nova has much chance were they to play unc? I mean, they beat Kansas who was supposedly the best.. And crushed everyone prior including Miami - that one gives me hope. They blew Miami out.

I don't hold out much hope for notes dame... ^*%*^ But who of the remaining teams do you think could beat unc in order of likelihood ?

I would say UVA (great D team, no fear of unc from prior matchup)... Then Nova, then Oklahoma. In that order. Do you all disagree? Do you think it better that we pull for Oklahoma? Nova plays some great team ball and can bury threes most nights and Ochefu is a load. No hope for ND or the Cus. What do you all think are the three best teams to challenge unc? In order?

Maybe all those DBR posters who said UNC had no chance of winning the title this year can enlighten us with stats, win-loss records, and RSCI rankings . . .

If Cuse beats UVA it's probably over ... Nova has no chance against UNC, whereas at least I can see Hield going off on UNC. Let's go ND!

Why do you think Nova has a better shot than OK?

gofurman
03-27-2016, 02:14 AM
Maybe all those DBR posters who said UNC had no chance of winning the title this year can enlighten us with stats, win-loss records, and RSCI rankings . . .

If Cuse beats UVA it's probably over ... Nova has no chance against UNC, whereas at least I can see Hield going off on UNC. Let's go ND!

Why do you think Nova has a better shot than OK?

Maybe you are right. I guess I would say best chance to take unc is UVA then Ok or Nova equal... Ok has won in a great league and Hield is crazy good. He can shoot the three even as a step back shot. But it's not just him. They have two,other guys that impress me (Woodard? And Nmbr 11?). Obviously you can't do all this w one guy. They win even if it's his off night. I know they have at least some size. And if you can beat Oregon etc you are v good. Nova is good w a ton of shooters who can get Hot plus a legit center in Ochefu. They are kinda like us but w a better Center and a much much better PG (and decision making in general) for now w a senior Arcidiacono plus others. So I see Nova as Duke plus 10-15 points. And Duke plus ten-15 could win any game

I guess I see ND as a 10+ point underdog to UNC but UVA would be a 5 point dog at most... And Nova or OK would be a 5 pt dog most to UNC. At least two tough games I hope. I. Hope.

Doria
03-27-2016, 02:32 AM
Realistically, I can't hold out much hope for Notre Dame, but I wouldn't say they have zero chance. If they can avoid a straight-up blowout and keep it close, they should have a chance.

Vasturia needs a good game, especially. In the ACCT, they missed a truckload of shots from all over. They've gotta make those, and need stellar games from Gill and Tobey. Can't give Carolina the ball, either. I think the defense will be solid. Not too much need for intense game planning here. I'm sure ND knows what it must do to have a chance. It'd certainly be huge if they could pull an Easter miracle.

But yes, I think UVA would have arguably the best shot. Syracuse played them pretty close, but it really didn't feel that close. I'd much prefer to take my chances with Virginia (plus, I'm fine with them winning it all).

OK could give them a game, too, but I'm not confident there. I've seen three of their losses + the squeaker with Harvard (early, I know), but the things that gave the trouble in their losses won't be things that the Heels lack. And I'm impressed by Nova, but would be even less optimistic of their chances.

But regardless, ND steps to the plate first, so go Irish! Have a great Easter!

dukelifer
03-27-2016, 08:15 AM

A rested UVA has the best chance as they know UNC. If UNC gets to the final game I am not sure they will lose. Nova plays great team basketball so I would not count them out. But OK killed them in Dec so I am not sure how that will go. Hield is having a great tourney. However, UNC will beat OK. I am preparing myself for a UNC victory. All indications point to a championship.

CDu
03-27-2016, 09:36 AM
There is very little standing between the cheats and their 1st title with eligible players in 34 years. Such a bummer that Kansas lost.

I disagree. There is UVa and either Oklahoma or Villanova, both of whom are terrific and appear to be every bit as good as UNC.

Oklahoma has the size and defensive chops to handle Brice Johnson, and they have the nation's best player in Hield. Villanova has size, but they have the ability to stretch UNC out like we did. And UVa has already beaten UNC once, and may well be the best team in the field.

Heck, even Notre Dame is capable of beating UNC.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-27-2016, 09:38 AM
A rested UVA has the best chance as they know UNC. If UNC gets to the final game I am not sure they will lose. Nova plays great team basketball so I would not count them out. But OK killed them in Dec so I am not sure how that will go. Hield is having a great tourney. However, UNC will beat OK. I am preparing myself for a UNC victory. All indications point to a championship.
They've won three games against mid to low seeds. And they get one more of those in ND. But then have to beat two really good teams in a row. I'm not conceding the championship to them just yet.

dukelifer
03-27-2016, 10:59 AM
I disagree. There is UVa and either Oklahoma or Villanova, both of whom are terrific and appear to be every bit as good as UNC.

Oklahoma has the size and defensive chops to handle Brice Johnson, and they have the nation's best player in Hield. Villanova has size, but they have the ability to stretch UNC out like we did. And UVa has already beaten UNC once, and may well be the best team in the field.

Heck, even Notre Dame is capable of beating UNC.
Well there are many who think coaching also matters and so unless Syracuse wins- there is only one coach left that has won a championship and he has 2. All the teams left can beat UNC but everything is currently in their favor.