PDA

View Full Version : NCAAT: Midwest Discussion Thread (uVa/Iowa St, Gonzo/Cuse)

JBDuke
03-13-2016, 07:35 PM
This is the collector thread for the Midwest Regional contests for the first two weekends of the NCAA Men's Tournament. It's also for picking who you think will win.

Henderson
03-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Izzo time.

Edouble
03-13-2016, 07:46 PM
Wow... UVA gets Sparty for a third year in a row, and in Chicago, no less, should the chalk hold. My UVA friends are pissed.

It's clear that UVA was the lowest ranked #1 seed and MSU was the highest ranked #2 seed, so it makes sense that they are matched up, but still, three years in the same region!

dukelifer
03-13-2016, 07:49 PM
Izzo time.

Already in the books as is their loss in th FF.

gurufrisbee
03-13-2016, 07:51 PM
I'm not convinced at all that Michigan State is better than Virginia, but I am convinced their half of this bracket is WAY easier than UVA's, because I think Purdue and Iowa State are two of the most dangerous teams in the field.

Saratoga2
03-13-2016, 08:21 PM
I expect MIchigan State to get through to the second week while UVA may struggle to do that. I give the edge to Michigan State getting to the final 4.

weezie
03-13-2016, 08:29 PM
I'm thinking the hoo is peeved enough after last year's burp and yesterday's frustration to make it all the way to Houston. hoo is smart, sparty, not so much.
While Izzo is the superior coach, Tony has the overall talent bump. Perrantes is the swing factor.

jipops
03-13-2016, 08:37 PM
Hard not to go with Sparty on this. What a bummer for UVA to get them once again.

Edouble
03-14-2016, 09:51 AM
I expect MIchigan State to get through to the second week while UVA may struggle to do that. I give the edge to Michigan State getting to the final 4.

I doubt UVA misses on the Sweet 16. While we all know that no #1 seed has ever lost their first game, something like 95% of #1 seeds make it through to the second weekend. It is really rare for a #1 seed to lose in its 8/9 matchup.

whereinthehellami
03-14-2016, 11:06 AM
I'm gonna go with Purdue over UVA in the elite 8. I could see the hoos looking ahead to MSU, who I think will get to the final 4.

I heard Bilas likes SH to get to the sweet 16, they are on a bit of a roll.

captmojo
03-14-2016, 12:22 PM
I selected UVA for the simple reason that they were the only 1 seed left, after choices I made in the other regions.

Wander
03-14-2016, 09:05 PM
Before the brackets came out, I was thinking of Purdue as a final four sleeper and Little Rock as an upset team. Oh well. I went with Little Rock on this one, and to balance it out made the opposite choice for similar feelings I had on Cal/Hawaii.

Virginia isn't going to lose to Michigan State three years in a row, are they? Has anyone ever been knocked out by the same team 3 years in a row? Poor UVA.

freshmanjs
03-14-2016, 09:08 PM
I doubt UVA misses on the Sweet 16. While we all know that no #1 seed has ever lost their first game, something like 95% of #1 seeds make it through to the second weekend. It is really rare for a #1 seed to lose in its 8/9 matchup.

86% actually, so more like 1 in 7 #1 seeds don't make it (not 1 in 20). i wouldn't call that "really rare."

Edouble
03-15-2016, 09:27 AM
86% actually, so more like 1 in 7 #1 seeds don't make it (not 1 in 20). i wouldn't call that "really rare."

Good work. I had no idea where to find the exact figure, I just know that it's always a safe bet to put #1 seeds in the Sweet 16, unless you have a fairly good reason not too.

I'll retract "really rare", change my wording to "uncommon", and stick with UVA in the Sweet 16.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2016, 09:37 AM
This is a tough region. I like UVa, but I have a hard time seeing them surviving this bracket. I like another UVa/Izzo matchup, with UVa being a little beat up after getting that far.

CDu
03-15-2016, 11:21 AM
I think UVa and MSU are clearly the class of this region. Obviously anything can happen, but this is the region I view as most likely to see the top seeds face off in the Elite 8.

superdave
03-15-2016, 11:43 AM
I think UVa and MSU are clearly the class of this region. Obviously anything can happen, but this is the region I view as most likely to see the top seeds face off in the Elite 8.

Agreed, but I sometimes feel that MSU underachieves when people expect them to make a run, and over-achieves when they are counted out. They are a hard team to get comfortable with.

I also like Purdue and Gonzaga to cause some trouble in this region.

Brogdon is playing at a very high level. I will be cheering for Virginia to make a run, but I do worry they dont have the athletes up front to win against other elite teams.

CDu
03-15-2016, 11:56 AM
Agreed, but I sometimes feel that MSU underachieves when people expect them to make a run, and over-achieves when they are counted out. They are a hard team to get comfortable with.

I also like Purdue and Gonzaga to cause some trouble in this region.

Brogdon is playing at a very high level. I will be cheering for Virginia to make a run, but I do worry they dont have the athletes up front to win against other elite teams.

It helps that the other elite teams in their group are also weak up front. Michigan State is just solid in the frontcourt - I'd actually take UVa's combo of Gill and Tobey over Costello and Davis. Utah doesn't have much size aside from Poeltl. And Iowa State is actually a bit undersized up front.

Purdue certainly might give UVa trouble inside with their trio of monsters inside, but UVa's discipline and better talent on the perimeter would win the day there I think.

Bluedog
03-15-2016, 12:05 PM
Wow... UVA gets Sparty for a third year in a row, and in Chicago, no less, should the chalk hold. My UVA friends are pissed.

It's clear that UVA was the lowest ranked #1 seed and MSU was the highest ranked #2 seed, so it makes sense that they are matched up, but still, three years in the same region!

Nope, Oregon was the lowest ranked #1 seed. The s-curve doesn't exist, though, so Michigan State got geographic preference to Chicago over Anaheim as the top #2 seed.

Troublemaker
03-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Like others, I picked MSU mostly because they have an easier path to the Elite 8. Utah is less threatening than Purdue / ISU. An actual UVA-MSU matchup would be a coin-flip to me.

flyingdutchdevil
03-15-2016, 12:39 PM
This is such a tough bracket. If I'm UVA, MSU, ISU, or Purdue, I'm pissed off. Actually, MSU should be kinda happy given that they got - by far - the easiest 3 seed in Utah. Pac-12. Gross.

Smart money is on MSU, but I really like the UVA pick here. I think the ACC is highly underrated (again) this year and UVA is going to cause some serious damage.

CDu
03-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Like others, I picked MSU mostly because they have an easier path to the Elite 8. Utah is less threatening than Purdue / ISU. An actual UVA-MSU matchup would be a coin-flip to me.

I would agree with this logic. If I had to choose which team is more likely to make it out of the region, it's MSU. If I'm assuming both get to the Elite 8, it's a tossup. I think I picked UVa in that toss-up. I would not be surprised to see Utah lose prior to the Sweet 16 anyway. And I wouldn't be completely shocked if MSU played Purdue in the Elite-8.

whereinthehellami
03-17-2016, 03:02 PM
So much for my Iona pick. It is looking like the dream of a perfect bracket will end too soon, again.

flyingdutchdevil
03-17-2016, 03:02 PM
So much for my Iona pick. It is looking like the dream of a perfect bracket will end too soon, again.

Speak for yourself. I'm still at 100% ;)

CDu
03-17-2016, 03:56 PM
Bennett just collapsed on the sideline for UVa. Hope he's okay.

whereinthehellami
03-17-2016, 04:00 PM
They were taking his pulse. What are these teams doing to their coaches:)

Wahoo2000
03-17-2016, 05:19 PM
Alma Mater loyalty aside, I have a very tough time picking us to advance beyond MSU. Their rebounding and shooting is just absolutely insane (from a kenpom/efficiency standpoint).

They're a very similar style of play to us over all - and I just feel like they're a little more talented at pretty much every spot besides PF. Izzo's experience/record in the tourney also gives him an advantage over Bennett.

MSU has all the hallmarks of a title team to me - final four experience the previous season, a PoY favorite, a HoF caliber coach, amazing defense and rebounding, and great 3pt shooting. I'm going to pray they fall asleep at the wheel and lose in the second round or sweet 16 - because I feel like they're one of those teams that will raise their level of play as they progress through the tournament.

MChambers
03-17-2016, 05:26 PM
Getting ahead of ourselves here, I'd think Virginia can take MSU. I like MSU a lot, but they really struggled in the second halves of the Maryland and Purdue games in the Big Ten tourney. If Valentine doesn't create for them, they don't score. And Valentine isn't really that quick, so he can be defended. Having said that, it will be a heck of a game.

Troublemaker
03-17-2016, 06:40 PM
Alma Mater loyalty aside, I have a very tough time picking us to advance beyond MSU. Their rebounding and shooting is just absolutely insane (from a kenpom/efficiency standpoint).

They're a very similar style of play to us over all - and I just feel like they're a little more talented at pretty much every spot besides PF. Izzo's experience/record in the tourney also gives him an advantage over Bennett.

Getting ahead of ourselves here, I'd think Virginia can take MSU. I like MSU a lot, but they really struggled in the second halves of the Maryland and Purdue games in the Big Ten tourney. If Valentine doesn't create for them, they don't score. And Valentine isn't really that quick, so he can be defended. Having said that, it will be a heck of a game.

Yes, I think MChambers makes a great point. MSU has a very good offense but it's not that balanced; they are extremely reliant on Valentine being great (scoring himself and assisting teammates) to make them efficient. To his credit, he's come through over and over again, and they have the #2 offense in the country according to kenpom. But I don't think UVA should be afraid of the the MSU matchup because UVA has Brogdon, perhaps the best perimeter defender in the country. If Brogdon can force Valentine into an average day, UVA should win. Easier said than done, of course. No doubt that would be one of the best individual matchups of the tournament should it occur.

Wander
03-17-2016, 06:54 PM
LOL @ Purdue not even trying to get a shot with 5 seconds left in a tie game

CDu
03-17-2016, 07:31 PM
Well, Purdue got hosed at the end of double OT. They should have been on the line. But shouldn't have gotten there in the first place.

pfrduke
03-17-2016, 07:33 PM
Well, Purdue got hosed at the end of double OT. They should have been on the line. But shouldn't have gotten there in the first place.

You thought he was fouled? I thought on both replays his foot just slipped (a common problem today)

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-17-2016, 07:33 PM
I thought the guy traveled. Didn't look like Purdue player really even touched him.

Troublemaker
03-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Before the brackets came out, I was thinking of Purdue as a final four sleeper and Little Rock as an upset team. Oh well. I went with Little Rock on this one, and to balance it out made the opposite choice for similar feelings I had on Cal/Hawaii.

Nice!

CDu
03-17-2016, 08:21 PM
I thought the guy traveled. Didn't look like Purdue player really even touched him.

He grabbed the guy's arm before the travel.

-jk
03-17-2016, 08:37 PM
He grabbed the guy's arm before the travel.

Was it called a flagrant 1?

-jk

CDu
03-17-2016, 08:56 PM
You thought he was fouled? I thought on both replays his foot just slipped (a common problem today)

The defender hacked the driver's right arm as he Euro-stepped by. The fall itself was not caused by a foul per se, but there was pretty clearly a hack of the arm before that.

BandAlum83
03-17-2016, 10:10 PM
LOL @ Purdue not even trying to get a shot with 5 seconds left in a tie game

Madness was the Purdue player with 5 seconds in regulation holding the ball in the backcourt.

I think he probably didn't realize the score, thought he was up, and was waiting to be fouled. Poor kid.

I'll say again here, I am amazed at how poorly so many teams play in the last seconds of a game. So many get lousy last shots, or no shot at all. Our K-coached teams always get at least a good look at the basket and have a chance. We don't always make the shots, but we get a shot.

BandAlum83
03-18-2016, 01:58 PM
Syracuse is looking like the team that beat Duke. Up over 20.

Go ACC! (except UNC, of course)

Doria
03-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Syracuse is looking like the team that beat Duke. Up over 20.

Go ACC! (except UNC, of course)

Yep, just was going to post the same thing. I did have Syracuse to win, but I really didn't think they'd be so dominant. Glad to see the ACC doing so well, with the exception noted above.

pfrduke
03-18-2016, 03:03 PM
Very visually appealing score right now in St. Louis - score matching seed:

15 - Middle Tennessee State - 15
2 - Michigan State - 2

tbyers11
03-18-2016, 03:08 PM

2 - Michigan State - 2

Taking it to the next level of numerical dorkiness, that was the score at 15:02 on the clock as well

killerleft
03-18-2016, 03:13 PM
Madness was the Purdue player with 5 seconds in regulation holding the ball in the backcourt.

I think he probably didn't realize the score, thought he was up, and was waiting to be fouled. Poor kid.

I'll say again here, I am amazed at how poorly so many teams play in the last seconds of a game. So many get lousy last shots, or no shot at all. Our K-coached teams always get at least a good look at the basket and have a chance. We don't always make the shots, but we get a shot.

Sadly, Trajan Langdon is not so sure of this.

BandAlum83
03-18-2016, 03:37 PM
Sadly, Trajan Langdon is not so sure of this.

Truthfully, this is a VERY repressed memory for me. I was forced to watch the game way from home in a city which seemingly cared nothing about this game (San Francisco). I couldn't find a Duke watch party (it was somewhat more difficult back then), and I felt very frustrated and lonely as I watched the game.

Until now, all I could really remember about the game was that Langdon basically put the team on his back and was forced to do it all himself and came up short.

I just watched the final possession - totally forgotten until now. All I can really say is that I recall now thinking he got mugged, otherwise would have gotten a shot off. :(

It was the second most disappointing Duke game I can remember. The 86 final being the most disappointing. In both cases, I truly believed Duke was the best team in the nation.

The best team doesn't always win, of course. I've always felt, BTW, we got one back in 2010. ;)

BandAlum83
03-18-2016, 03:46 PM

2 - Michigan State - 2

Appealing in so many ways. I would love to seethe great Izzo take a hit to his "Izzo always has his kids playing their best in March" reputation.

Not to mention see all the talking heads explode.

And to not have to have UVA go through them yet again.

And expose the B1G for the lesser conference it is.

And.......

subzero02
03-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Does anyone know what's the biggest upset in the history of the kenpom.com rankings? MSU is #3 and MTSU is #123. A difference of 120 is pretty huge but I am guessing there have been larger ranking disparities in upsets.

Doria
03-18-2016, 04:54 PM
Ha, my bracket is destroyed for the Midwest region.

(Also, Virginia is breathing a sigh of relief.)

BD80
03-18-2016, 04:55 PM
No wonder MSU was "upset" that they didn't get a #1 seed

75Crazie
03-18-2016, 04:56 PM
I find myself in familiar, uncomfortable territory this year ... rooting for teams I don't like based on their likelihood to be able to beat the Cheaters ... but I can't help it, this game was delicious.

Doria
03-18-2016, 04:57 PM
I find myself in familiar, uncomfortable territory this year ... rooting for teams I don't like based on their likelihood to be able to beat the Cheaters ... but I can't help it, this game was delicious.

Yeah, I was wrestling with this at the end of the game, but I can't but be happy for a true underdog.

CDu
03-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Two of my elite 8s are done, but my Final Four (KU, UK, OU, UVa) are alive. Hoping I only get three of my final four right.

BandAlum83
03-18-2016, 05:42 PM
Totally clearing out the lane for Virginia. :)

Got another tough 15-2 going with Oklahoma right now.

blazindw
03-18-2016, 06:44 PM
No 2 seed who has spent time at #1 in the AP poll during the season has ever lost to a 15 seed. Until Sparty did it today. Probably the biggest upset in the history of the NCAA Tournament.

Source (https://twitter.com/d1scourse/status/710952620945440768)

Troublemaker
03-19-2016, 08:46 PM
Great job by Bennett to go small. Completely changed the game. They're too quick for Butler to guard.

We actually saw a glimpse of this in the game in Cameron. Duke was in control of the game in the second half until UVA played 4 guards to get back into it.

Troublemaker
03-19-2016, 08:52 PM
It also helps that Brogdon can apparently shut down anyone 1 thru 5 apparently. Chrabascz has been quite since Brogdon moved onto him.

Doria
03-19-2016, 09:05 PM
Man, I've had to actually do some work after the Duke game (to make up for watching more of the tourney than I should have yesterday), and I turn in to see this? Virginia, what are you doing?!

JBDuke
03-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Man, I've had to actually do some work after the Duke game (to make up for watching more of the tourney than I should have yesterday), and I turn in to see this? Virginia, what are you doing?!

Winning! Survive and advance!

jv001
03-19-2016, 09:42 PM
I really like this Virginia team. They are solid on offense and great on defense. Plus they have a great young coach and a terrific leader in Brogdon. Rooting for them to reach the FF. GoVA and GoDuke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troublemaker
03-19-2016, 10:03 PM
I really like this Virginia team. They are solid on offense and great on defense. Plus they have a great young coach and a terrific leader in Brogdon. Rooting for them to reach the FF. GoVA and GoDuke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, you can do that, but here's my annual warning about UVA fans: they most definitely are NOT rooting for Duke. They have Maryland-level hatred for Duke, except with better SAT scores and seersucker suits. If you went to Charlottesville, sat down in a Denny's and retold Coach K's "Here's to never forgetting tonight" Denny's story, you would get punched. Or at least your food would get spat on in the kitchen. You must understand -- UVA fans loathe the Duke program.

However, I am open to the idea of being "bigger fans" not letting that stand in the way of rooting for a likable UVA team and coach.

arnie
03-19-2016, 10:14 PM
Okay, you can do that, but here's my annual warning about UVA fans: they most definitely are NOT rooting for Duke. They have Maryland-level hatred for Duke, except with better SAT scores and seersucker suits. If you went to Charlottesville, sat down in a Denny's and retold Coach K's "Here's to never forgetting tonight" Denny's story, you would get punched. Or at least your food would get spat on in the kitchen. You must understand -- UVA fans loathe the Duke program.

I agree and think this hate applies to all other ACC team fans (with exception of BC fans who likely don't know which schools are in ACC). I've therefore lost interest in rooting for other ACC teams in the tourney.

dukelifer
03-19-2016, 10:18 PM
Zags putting a hurting on Utah. Do they qualify as a cinderella anymore?

dukelifer
03-19-2016, 10:26 PM
This region is opening up now.

Doria
03-19-2016, 10:51 PM

However, I am open to the idea of being "bigger fans" not letting that stand in the way of rooting for a likable UVA team and coach.

I'm sure that's true, but which other ACC team's fans are Duke-friendly? State fans generally loathe us, too, though I think they probably hate Carolina more, if forced to choose.

And I am willing to admit it was pretty hard for me to pull for Miami this morning, but I made the sacrifice for the sake of the ACC's reputation (it can take a hit with the Heels).

Wahoo2000
03-20-2016, 01:01 PM

I think you're mistaking "UVA fans on twitter and message boards" for "UVA fans". Is there an extremely vocal group on thesabre (and no doubt twitter) that scream hatred for K and some of the more the chippy guys like Allen, Winslow, Dhantay, Laettner, etc? Absolutely. Do those people really encapsulate what MOST Virginia fans think? Not at all.

Being an alum, I have absolutely a ton of friends/family/etc who are very serious UVA fans. Most of them respect the heck out of the Duke program, although I think they do root against you guys on occasion - I call it the "haven't they won enough" mentality. But there are times for sure when they root for Duke - especially if you're up against a team outside the conference who also has a great tradition.

Personally, I don't really root for OR against Duke (except when it affects UVA), I just enjoy watching your games for the talent - on the bench just as much as on the floor.

akg4y
03-20-2016, 01:40 PM
As fans you guys are much more knowledgeable and respectful than most other ACC board posters... the UNC fans are atrocious, I made the mistake of wandering over to their forums before the ACC Championship game and they were already complaining and making excuses about officials and fouls before we even played.

Troublemaker
03-20-2016, 01:46 PM
I think you're mistaking "UVA fans on twitter and message boards" for "UVA fans". Is there an extremely vocal group on thesabre (and no doubt twitter) that scream hatred for K and some of the more the chippy guys like Allen, Winslow, Dhantay, Laettner, etc? Absolutely. Do those people really encapsulate what MOST Virginia fans think? Not at all.

Being an alum, I have absolutely a ton of friends/family/etc who are very serious UVA fans. Most of them respect the heck out of the Duke program, although I think they do root against you guys on occasion - I call it the "haven't they won enough" mentality. But there are times for sure when they root for Duke - especially if you're up against a team outside the conference who also has a great tradition.

Personally, I don't really root for OR against Duke (except when it affects UVA), I just enjoy watching your games for the talent - on the bench just as much as on the floor.

My impression is exaggerated -- I don't think punches would really be thrown -- but it isn't solely based on the internet. Many, many years ago, I attended some outdoors social event in Charlottesville; can't recall what it was, but there were thousands in attendance and lots of sundresses, seersucker jackets, and alcohol. I was wearing a Duke hat and was pestered about it constantly for several hours by strangers, usually good-naturedly, which I don't mind. It was just surprising to me that so many UVA fans cared so much about Duke, i.e. rooted against us. I had naively thought that because we were both good academic schools that we would mutually root for each other or something. But no, there definitely is some resentment that many UVA fans feel towards Duke. When Coach K built his program in the early 80s, it was UVA that was competing with UNC to be the best ACC program, and Duke replaced UVA in that role ever since. That's how I explain it.

All that said, you're right about the numbers and about there being a vocal minority, I'm sure. I do have friends who are UVA grads that are only casual fans of the basketball program, and they couldn't care less about rooting against or for Duke. It is your diehard fans that are somewhat appalling in their obsessive hatred for Duke and K. And yes, they have a presence on twitter.

CameronDuke
03-20-2016, 01:52 PM

I think there are certainly UVA fans that respect Duke but I have to agree with the sentiment that most I have encountered don't cheer for Duke. I wouldn't say they hate Duke like some do but I don't see them rooting for Duke. I'd actually say most I have met personally pull against Duke. I get it - it's kind of similar to people pulling against the Patriots and Yankees. They both have had success over the years (Yankees not so much lately), but most UVA fans I have encountered have the mindset you mentioned: "Hasn't Duke won enough?" I get it.

I have been pulling for UVA all year and will continue to pull for them. Duke has my allegiance but I find Tony Bennett extremely likable and personable. When he went down against Hampton my heart was in my throat. If you don't like Malcolm Brogdon you don't know what's right about college athletics. I would love to see Duke and UVA both in the final four. I don't see UVA as a team that deserves to be hated on or disliked. They do things their way, Bennett has built a program the right way, and they graduate players at a good clip. I do think many fans of UVA I have met don't pull for Duke, however. It doesn't really bother me, though. UVA hasn't had the sustained level of success that Duke has, although they might. If UVA can get to a final four or further this year, next year will be the metric by which I call them a perennial power contender or not. Losing Brogdon, Tobey, and Gill will hurt a lot (even losing a good leader like Nolte will hurt), but they bring back capable guys (Perrantes, Wilkins, Shayok, Thompson, Hall, Nichols, and a good recruiting class). If they can be in the top 4-5 in the league again next year, and make a run at another sweet 16 or even an elite eight, they will officially be a program with sustained success. I hope they do, that's the best for the league. If they revert back to a 6-8 ACC team and fizzle out in the NCAA Tournamene like 2015, I think they're a solid program but not a national power.

NashvilleDevil
03-20-2016, 08:11 PM
With 16:02 left in the game the score was Cuse 40 MTSU 39. Cuse out scored the Blue Raiders 35-11 the rest of the way. Now they play the Zags.

TexHawk
03-20-2016, 09:43 PM
From a style/x-o standpoint, UVA vs ISU should be one of the more fun games of the tournament. By KP, the best offense remaining against the best defense. (UVA's offense is much much better than ISU's defense though.) The 'Clone fans should have a crowd advantage, their fans travel really well.

I usually go with the better defense (and against the team that can't defend my sister), but it could get interesting if the perimeter shots fall. Georges Niang can stretch any D, and Monte Morris never turns the ball over.

Blue KevIL
03-25-2016, 06:54 PM
Virginia will be playing a road game in Chicago tonight.
Heavy heavy Iowa State presence inside the United Center.

Wager accordingly

devildeac
03-25-2016, 07:23 PM
Virginia will be playing a road game in Chicago tonight.
Heavy heavy Iowa State presence inside the United Center.

Wager accordingly

Wonder when their team is scheduled to appear. :rolleyes:

ISU down by 2 TDs about 6-7 minutes into the game.

dukelifer
03-25-2016, 07:30 PM
Wonder when their team is scheduled to appear. :rolleyes:

ISU down by 2 TDs about 6-7 minutes into the game.

Looks like the top seeds came to play this weekend. Great if Virginia made it back to the FF. A 32 year drought.

dukelifer
03-25-2016, 08:30 PM
Looks like the top seeds came to play this weekend. Great if Virginia made it back to the FF. A 32 year drought.

Iowa State playing better in the second half

jipops
03-25-2016, 09:06 PM
UVA's defense stays impressive even through an offensive drought. ISU plays no defense at all.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-25-2016, 10:43 PM
I have to admit, as much as I would like to see UNC lose, it would be kinda frigging cool if one entire half of the bracket was ACC teams later tonight.

Let's go Cuse! Looked like they were going to get shot out of the gym early. Way to fight back in.

Eternal Outlaw
03-25-2016, 11:50 PM
Cuse got the stop but the refs blew that call. Cooney made a great steal and just stayed inbounds, ref on the baseline calls foul, ref from around half court with a terrible angle runs in and says out of bounds. Review but apparently they weren't (and said couldn't) reviewing a single player out of bounds call. Unbelievable for a ref in that position to run in and make that call when there was no way he could see for sure if he touched the black barely.

Doria
03-25-2016, 11:53 PM
Glad that blown call didn't cost them. Nice to see G. have a good game. Congrats to Syracuse.

InSpades
03-25-2016, 11:55 PM
That was one of the worst ref calls ever... glad it didn't hurt 'Cuse.

I always have to root for the Duke guys (even the ones who leave) so it is great to see Gbinije doing so well and taking his team so far.

Amazing that the ACC has 4 of the final 8 and a guaranteed 2 of the final four.

Furniture
03-26-2016, 12:57 AM

I always have to root for the Duke guys (even the ones who leave) so it is great to see Gbinije doing so well and taking his team so far.

Another great game by really loud G! Congratulations! Very nice well spoken interview with him at the end too!
Very happy for him!!!!

Blue KevIL
03-26-2016, 01:32 AM

And, most importantly for the ACC, 1 guaranteed in the National Title Game.

dukelifer
03-26-2016, 07:18 AM
I have to admit, as much as I would like to see UNC lose, it would be kinda frigging cool if one entire half of the bracket was ACC teams later tonight.

Let's go Cuse! Looked like they were going to get shot out of the gym early. Way to fight back in.

Well- more money for the ACC. The problem for the top seeds is that they are playing teams that know them well. These games will be interesting- particularly Syracuse UVA

dukelifer
03-26-2016, 07:19 AM
Glad that blown call didn't cost them. Nice to see G. have a good game. Congrats to Syracuse.

G may be old but he is going to get an NBA contract out of this.

dukelifer
03-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Virginia struggling with the zone. Their O can be very limited at times.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-27-2016, 06:27 PM
ACC Tourney round two is live! Cuse looks good early.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-27-2016, 06:36 PM
ACC Tourney round two is live! Cuse looks good early.

"Early" being the key.

wavedukefan70s
03-27-2016, 06:48 PM
Virginia has found the gas pedal.

dukelifer
03-27-2016, 08:01 PM

And just crashed the car! What happened?

El_Diablo
03-27-2016, 08:01 PM

And drove off a cliff.

devildeac
03-27-2016, 08:02 PM
And just crashed the car! What happened?

19-2 'Cuse run over the last ~ 5 min. Epic.

wavedukefan70s
03-27-2016, 08:04 PM
I dunno .i was eating this lovely wheat and zuchini /squash spaghetti my wife made.turned the channel wow.they look like they had the same meal.....;/

mpj96
03-27-2016, 08:05 PM
Hard to see UVA pulling it out at this point.

dukelifer
03-27-2016, 08:07 PM
19-2 'Cuse run over the last ~ 5 min. Epic.

Amazing. UVA was up by 11 and I went to do something else- turned in on and down by 6.

wavedukefan70s
03-27-2016, 08:07 PM
Overtime maybe?

Doria
03-27-2016, 08:11 PM
I went to see Batman v Superman with my roommate because I figured I could trust UVA to take care of business. Unbelievable.

El_Diablo
03-27-2016, 08:11 PM
Congrats to UNC on Syracuse's win.

bleedingblue88
03-27-2016, 08:12 PM
Has a team ever had as easy a run to the championship game as UNC (assuming they take care of Notre Dame)??? This is a ridiculous cake walk.

dukelifer
03-27-2016, 08:13 PM
Has a team ever had as easy a run to the championship game as UNC (assuming they take care of Notre Dame)??? This is a ridiculous cake walk.

It's over!

Eternal Outlaw
03-27-2016, 08:13 PM
All there is left to do now is Oklahoma and Villanova to play 2+ overtimes on Saturday to hand the title to UNC.

Unbelievable

Troublemaker
03-27-2016, 08:14 PM
1-and-done tournament.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if UVA won 9 out of 10 times against Cuse. (I know the dork polls estimate less dominance).

But that 10% got dialed up today.

kmspeaks
03-27-2016, 08:14 PM
This means Carolina fans have to thank the selection committee for their cakewalk to the Final Four right?

Oh no, in uNC world the selection committee only controls upsets when it's in Duke's favor.

JBDuke
03-27-2016, 08:15 PM
What a complete choke by the Cavaliers. They got rattled by Syracuse's press and couldn't regain their composure. The Orange close with a 29-8 run. Bennett loses a game after having a double digit lead at half for the first time in his career. Yikes.

wavedukefan70s
03-27-2016, 08:15 PM
Gotta ride Oklahoma.

El_Diablo
03-27-2016, 08:16 PM
First time ever that a #10 seed has advanced to the Final Four.

Channing
03-27-2016, 08:16 PM
I just threw up in my mouth a little...

I'd be interested to know the likelihood of cuse winning with 9 minutes left.

devildeac
03-27-2016, 08:17 PM
Wait! Brey said the Irish can't/won't/don't lose on St. Patrick's Day or Easter. Wonder if he was wearing his unc hat and/or rubbing his lucky sheep's foot when he tweeted that :rolleyes: .

Dr. Rosenrosen
UVA in the running with N Iowa for worst collapse in NCAA history.

One UNC win away from the first annual All Cheaters Classic.

duke79
I can NOT believe UVa lost this game !! They were up by 16.......at one point. Epic failure. They went totally flat in the second half and could not handle the zone but also it looks they were playing as if the game were over at the end of the first half. They lost all momentum. Reminds me a little of the Duke/Yale game where Duke went totally flat but luckily had a big enough lead to hold on. Not the case for UVa. I feel bad for Tony Bennett and the UVa players. They deserved to be in the Final Four, IMO.

devildeac
03-27-2016, 08:19 PM
I'm getting sicker by the minute.

dukelifer
03-27-2016, 08:21 PM
I can NOT believe UVa lost this game !! They were up by 16....at one point. Epic failure. They went totally flat in the second half and could not handle the zone but also it looks they were playing as if the game were over at the end of the first half. They lost all momentum. Reminds me a little of the Duke/Yale game where Duke went totally flat but luckily had a big enough lead to hold on. Not the case for UVa. I feel bad for Tony Bennett and the UVa players. They deserved to be in the Final Four, IMO.

Can never relax. No reason for this collapse, though.

Atlanta Duke
03-27-2016, 08:22 PM
Feel bad for Coach Bennett and the UVA seniors - what an awful way to go out.

And now we have the ghost of sanctions past squaring off against the ghost of sanctions future if Syracuse and UNC get together next Saturday night - presumably not a discouraging word will be heard about that during the broadcast

Dr. Rosenrosen
I'm getting sicker by the minute.
I demand an immediate investigation into possible game fixing. How else does one explain what is happening for the cheats?

duke79
Can never relax. No reason for this collapse, though.

Yea.....a team should NEVER relax......but, to me at least, it just looked like UVa lost the momentum and could never get it back. I feel bad for them. I'm sure it's not a happy time right now in their locker room.

duke79
03-27-2016, 08:26 PM

And now we have the ghost of sanctions past squaring off against the ghost of sanctions future if Syracuse and UNC get together next Saturday night - presumably not a discouraging word will be heard about that during the broadcast

Let's hope ND beats Carolina !!

DUKIE V(A)
03-27-2016, 08:26 PM

Why would anyone do that? Still plenty to discuss about Laettner, Wojo, JJ, Grayson, and Coach K.

Furniture
03-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Congrats to the orange. What a great game!! Unbelievable!!

Tripping William
03-27-2016, 08:29 PM
UVA 2016 meet Duke 1998. *sigh*

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-27-2016, 08:29 PM
Stunning finish. Jim B can hang his hat on this unlikely run.

cbarry
03-27-2016, 08:30 PM
I demand an immediate investigation into possible game fixing. How else does one explain what is happening for the cheats?

Absolutely disgusting. :( Syracuse has nothing in its arsenal to challenge UNC. UVA at least would have made the Cheats work for it. Carolina will beat Syracuse by 20-30 points. All of the teams that could challenge Carolina keep losing. Maybe God really IS a Tar Heel. I can find no other explanation. I'm just disgusted right now.

dukelifer
03-27-2016, 08:37 PM

UNC's own Kenny Smith has picked every elite 8 game correct. Clearly there is something going on

gumbomoop
03-27-2016, 08:38 PM
Postgame hallway interview with Bennett. He is a very impressive man. After a crushing, crushing loss, he maintained a steady demeanor, spoke eloquently, praised Syracuse, made no excuses. I hope he stays at Virginia forever.

DUKIE V(A)
03-27-2016, 08:43 PM
Postgame hallway interview with Bennett. He is a very impressive man. After a crushing, crushing loss, he maintained a steady demeanor, spoke eloquently, praised Syracuse, made no excuses. I hope he stays at Virginia forever.

Completely agree. Bennett, Brogdon, Gill, and Tobey also complete class in the post-game. All exceptionally well-spoken and extremely gracious. Easy to see how UVA has become such a power.

BlueandWhite
03-27-2016, 08:43 PM
Yea....a team should NEVER relax...but, to me at least, it just looked like UVa lost the momentum and could never get it back. I feel bad for them. I'm sure it's not a happy time right now in their locker room.

Also feel badly for the Hoos and for their seniors...wow. Brogdon was 2-14 from the field, kinda hard when your best player can't buy a bucket & your team doesn't respond well to Syracuse's defensive pressure. Hats off to the Orange.

UNC will take them out, but I'm picking Villanova to upset both OU and the Heels to win it all. I think Nova has by far the best team D of the teams left and that will be the difference.

FerryFor50
03-27-2016, 08:45 PM
Never want to hear another unc fan complain about how easy a road a Duke team has again after this tournament. Best case scenario in just about every situation, starting with the weak #2 seed they got.

dukelifer
03-27-2016, 08:45 PM
Completely agree. Bennett, Brogdon, Gill, and Tobey also complete class in the post-game. All exceptionally well-spoken and extremely gracious. Easy to see how UVA has become such a power.

Need that FF appearance to be a true power. Those monkeys are hard to get off your back.

wavedukefan70s
03-27-2016, 08:48 PM
Never want to hear another unc fan complain about how easy a road a Duke team has again after this tournament. Best case scenario in just about every situation, starting with the weak #2 seed they got.

I started the ball rolling on that
Elsewhere. Im curious to see how it develops.

eddiehaskell
03-27-2016, 08:50 PM
Sky parting for UNC:

One man show in #9 Providence
Kentucky knocked out by Indiana
#1 Virginia has epic meltdown
#6 seed Notre Dame in elite 8 (Gonzaga had bigs to maybe compete)
#1 Kansas gets dropped (probably the stiffest competition left)

How many times have we seen a path to the championship game open up like this? Wow - the Heels don't even have to be this good to roll through.

Watch Notre Dame play like the #16th best team that Brey keeps talking about. Fingers crossed they don't!!!!!!

ncexnyc
03-27-2016, 08:55 PM
I can NOT believe UVa lost this game !! They were up by 16....at one point. Epic failure. They went totally flat in the second half and could not handle the zone but also it looks they were playing as if the game were over at the end of the first half. They lost all momentum. Reminds me a little of the Duke/Yale game where Duke went totally flat but luckily had a big enough lead to hold on. Not the case for UVa. I feel bad for Tony Bennett and the UVa players. They deserved to be in the Final Four, IMO.
I believe Clint Eastwood said it best in the Unforgiven. "Deserves got nothing to do with it."

indy1duke
03-27-2016, 09:32 PM
It just about made me sick watching uva choke the game away to Syracuse and their cheating coach. If Notre Dame doesn't pull off a miracle against the biggest cheaters in the history of NCAA basketball we are guaranteed to have one cheating program in the national finals. TBS will doubtless respond to that story by focusing on the GA tripping scandal.

Blue KevIL
03-27-2016, 09:39 PM
First time ever that a #10 seed has advanced to the Final Four.

Since the expansion of the NCAA Tournament to 64 teams in 1985, Syracuse is now the 13th Unranked team to reach the Final Four.
Of those 13 teams, 4 teams received Zero Votes in the Final AP Poll. The Orange are the 4th team to fit that distinction as well.

juise
03-27-2016, 09:54 PM
Sky parting for UNC:

One can only assume that the heavens are preparing us for a vacated title.

(Go Irish!)

Duke79UNLV77
03-27-2016, 09:56 PM
I believe Clint Eastwood said it best in the Unforgiven. "Deserves got nothing to do with it."

"We've all got it comin', kid."

weezie
03-27-2016, 10:01 PM
Postgame hallway interview with Bennett...I hope he stays at Virginia forever.

Boy, just among the neighbors here in the Piedmont, they are heart-broken but also staggered that the pack-line is the only game in Cville. No adjustments, no way to stem the flow once syr figured out how to run and shoot over the all of a sudden invisible pack line. Tony comes across as a wonderful guy, as does this year's hoo team. But gosh, where's the next gear?

eddiehaskell
03-27-2016, 11:00 PM
After they take out Cuse, UNC will have beat 24-12 Notre Dame, 23-14 Syracuse, 23-10 Providence and 21-14 FGCU.

Anyone know the last time a team went to the championship without playing a team with single digit losses?

Edit: Indiana 27-8, but still...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-27-2016, 11:04 PM
"We've all got it comin', kid."

"I'll see you in hell..."

"Yup."

BANG

(One of my favorites)

gumbomoop
03-28-2016, 12:54 AM
Boy, just among the neighbors here in the Piedmont, they are heart-broken but also staggered that the pack-line is the only game in Cville. No adjustments, no way to stem the flow once syr figured out how to run and shoot over the all of a sudden invisible pack line. Tony comes across as a wonderful guy, as does this year's hoo team. But gosh, where's the next gear?

It's a fair, if painful, question. I'd have to see the last 9:33 again, from the point at which UVa appeared to be pulling away, 54-39. My uncertain recollection is that it was less a failure of the pack line than a combination of crucial 3s by Lydon and Richardson, plus the lame turnovers during Syracuse's very surprisingly effective press. UVa was pretty clearly befuddled by the press, and in these final 9 minutes Boeheim looked masterful; he outcoached Bennett by a mile this time.

It seems that the Hoos' offensive collapse was the biggest culprit, as Syracuse's defensive system caused rushed, contested shots and turnovers, which led to a helter-skelter last 7-8 minutes, during which almost everything went right for Syracuse and wrong for UVa.

Now as to the implied larger "next gear" question, that might refer to the Hoos' unexpectedly early departure each of the last 3 NCAATs. I suppose at this exact moment, Hoo fans may be forgiven for thinking the glass half empty, but Bennett has developed a top-tier program in a/the top-tier conference. Plenty of time over the off-season to debate next season, but Bennett has a good core returning, a highly promising transfer, a highly promising redshirt, and a solid set of recruits.

Deep gloom right now, but doom going forward is uncalled for, IMO. Bennett is a steady, admirable person, refreshingly straightforward. Hoo fanatics should be confident, without "demanding," that Bennett will win a fair number of games in future NCAATs, including FF games.

eddiehaskell
03-28-2016, 04:43 AM
Season MVP for Syracuse (and perhaps UNC): Amile Jefferson

If Amile isn't injured Duke doesn't lose to Syracuse by 2 at home. Roberson doesn't grab 20 rebounds with Amile mixing it up. Without this win I doubt Syracuse makes the tourney. They only had 3 decent-good wins (UConn, ND and Duke). With the season playing out the same they finish with 14 losses and only two semi decent wins. 18-14 = NIT

Who would've imagined Amile's injury could possibly set up UNC for a title?

CameronDuke
03-28-2016, 08:51 AM
This year was as good of a shot as Virginia can ask for to reach a final four. Playing a 10 seed who went 9-9 in their league in an elite eight matchup doesn't happen very often. Being up 15 points with 9:32 left in the game against said team and I'm sure Virginia could nearly taste the final four. That was a meltdown of epic proportions for Virginia. I haven't seen them lose their identity on offense under Tony Bennett as bad as they did yesterday down the stretch. The press by Cuse created turnovers, yes, but when Virginia was breaking the press, it sped Virginia up to the point where they weren't slowing the ball up over the half court line and running their patented, deliberate offense that runs clock. They were rushing layup attempts and shooting way too soon when breaking the press, and missing most of those shots. Even Brogdon, Mr. Goldenboy All-ACC walk on water All-American fell victim to this on offense. He finished 2-14 from the floor in his final collegiate game, too. Just shows you how tough it is to make a final four or win it all in college basketball. I'll say this, Tony Bennett is likable and has my respect. He has built a program. Virginia is here to stay. But, the way Virginia plays makes them vulnerable to collapses like yesterday. They run what Bennett wants them to run almost to perfection. Their offense and defense, when things are going right, looks flawless at times. But when faced with adversity like when pressed yesterday, it seems Virginia is so used to robotic like offensive sets and schemes that they forget how to improvise and be basketball players. They simply looked like they lacked the playmaking athleticism to get buckets down the stretch yesterday. I saw 3 Virginia players passing the ball around the perimeter of the zone down the stretch yesterday A LOT when Cuse when on their 25-4 run. They got rattled which is uncharacteristic for Virginia. They are good front runners but when things go sour and they are forced into uncomfortable positions, I doubt their system's ability to allow their players to improvise and simply make plays.

Losing Brogdon, Gill, Tobey, and Nolte will be tough. Like others have said, they bring in a talented transfer and recruiting class but will they be 1-seed, elite eight, top 2 in the ACC good? I'll have to see it to believe it next year. Hats off to them if they are.

gumbomoop
03-28-2016, 09:56 AM
This year was as good of a shot as Virginia can ask for to reach a final four... That was a meltdown of epic proportions... I doubt their system's ability to allow their players to improvise and simply make plays.

Losing Brogdon, Gill, Tobey, and Nolte will be tough. Like others have said, they bring in a talented transfer and recruiting class but will they be 1-seed, elite eight, top 2 in the ACC good? I'll have to see it to believe it next year. Hats off to them if they are

Just shows you how tough it is to make a final four or win it all in college basketball. I'll say this, Tony Bennett is likable and has my respect. He has built a program. Virginia is here to stay.

I've excerpted several points from CameronDuke's post, and altered the order a little.

Because of the first points that CameronDuke makes here, UVa fans and college bball observers generally may well wonder whether Bennett's system is too rote, fundamentally flawed come tournament time. Although I don't think too-early departures in the last three years proves UVa will never win the NC under Bennett, this epic fail is a stunning, numbing capstone to the Hoos' promising 3-year run.

Looking to 2016-17, I'd guess they won't fall to the bottom half of the ACC, but neither will they be top-2. I do expect them to make the 2017 NCAAT.

Long-term, as CD says, Bennett has built a program to last. Will Austin Nichols stay two years? If yes, in 2017-18, Bennett will presumably have 5 solid seniors (Nichols, Hall, Shayok, Thompson, Wilkins), big men to help Nichols (Diakite, Salt), and a group of sophomores that is probably a top-10 2016 recruiting class. That holds some promise to be an excellent team.

CameronDuke
03-28-2016, 11:43 AM
I've excerpted several points from CameronDuke's post, and altered the order a little.

Because of the first points that CameronDuke makes here, UVa fans and college bball observers generally may well wonder whether Bennett's system is too rote, fundamentally flawed come tournament time. Although I don't think too-early departures in the last three years proves UVa will never win the NC under Bennett, this epic fail is a stunning, numbing capstone to the Hoos' promising 3-year run.

Looking to 2016-17, I'd guess they won't fall to the bottom half of the ACC, but neither will they be top-2. I do expect them to make the 2017 NCAAT.

Long-term, as CD says, Bennett has built a program to last. Will Austin Nichols stay two years? If yes, in 2017-18, Bennett will presumably have 5 solid seniors (Nichols, Hall, Shayok, Thompson, Wilkins), big men to help Nichols (Diakite, Salt), and a group of sophomores that is probably a top-10 2016 recruiting class. That holds some promise to be an excellent team.

I wholeheartedly agree Virginia will make the 2017 NCAA Tournament. But the three year run Brogdon's senior class had in the 2014, 2015, and 2016 seasons will be hard to replicate for a long time under Bennett. He is one heck of a coach. Maybe I am wrong and they start another run like they had from 2014-2016 sooner rather than later. It's just gotta be so demoralizing and deflating for that program right now when everything seemed to be lined up for Virginia to reach the final four. It seems the program was banking on getting to the final four this year from all the Virginia fans I talked to, everything I read, and simply how their bracket shook out. Michigan State went down in the first round and all they have to do is hold a 15 point lead with 9:32 left against Syracuse, a 10 seed they beat earlier this season. I'd take Virginia 9,999 times out of 10,000 to win that game given those circumstances. It just wasn't meant to be. I give Tony Bennett all the credit in the world for how he handled the post game presser as well as his players, most notably Brogdon. I was devastated for them. Bennett quoted an old church hymn about weeping in the night but finding joy in the morning. This senior class did something that won't be done again for a while if you ask me. 89-19 in three years overall, 45-9 in the ACC with two regular season titles and an ACC Tournament title as well. Those are eye popping numbers. However, only one regional title appearance to show for it and no regional titles or final four births. That's gotta be tough. I think it's going overboard to say Virginia will regress to the point that they'll miss the NCAA Tournament next year but I will be shocked if they win the ACC regular season, ACC Tournament, or make the final four next year. They just don't return enough offensive firepower by the loss of Brogdon, Gill, and Tobey. Maybe Diakate, Perrantes, Thompson, Hall, Shayok, Nichols, and Guy or Jerome are enough to score next year. I could be wrong. If Bennett goes on another 89-19 run in the next three years with the group he returns, I would move him into the top five current NCAA coaches nationally, NCAA Tourament performance or not. But the monkey on his back and the program's back of subpar NCAA Tournament performance is a tough one to overcome. Most of the Virginia fans I had the pleasure of conversing with this season said it was all about the NCAA Tournament this season. They enjoyed the dominance in the ACC that Virginia showed in 2014 and 2015 but 2016 was about the final four and hopefully further. Just crushing anyway you look at it to lose like that yesterday. One thing is certain and that is a lot of guys will have to take on larger roles next year to get back to an elite eight and win it. Again, hats off to them if they do. It will be fun watching Bennett have new personnel to work with next season, probably the season he will get most judged by for his coaching ability yet at Virginia due to 4 seniors graduating this season. Next year's team is plain and simple all Bennett's recruits and personnel. Most were this year, but it is Tony's show to run next year. He will certainly approach the challenge with humility, dignity, and class (things that can be questioned with programs like Syracuse and UNC), but as we've all seen, class doesn't necessarily translate into final fours or winning in March.

jhmoss1812
03-28-2016, 11:55 AM
This pretty much sums up how I feel lol

CameronDuke
03-28-2016, 12:02 PM
This pretty much sums up how I feel lol

That's how most Virginia fans I have talked to and seen feel, too. Definitely a bummer. I can't think of a bigger meltdown than that. Duke Kentucky in the 1998 regional final was rough. Duke was up as many as 18 in the first half and up 49-39 at the half and Kentucky came back to win 86-84 under Tubby Smith. Duke was a 1 seed that year but Kentucky was a 2. Maybe the Northern Iowa vs. Texas A & M round of 32 game this year was as bad? Northern Iowa blew a 12 point lead with 44 seconds left to lose in double OT. But yesterday was just as hard to watch as both of those, if not more, especially considering the seeds of Virginia and Syracuse and what was at stake!

jhmoss1812
03-28-2016, 12:08 PM
That's how most Virginia fans I have talked to and seen feel, too. Definitely a bummer. I can't think of a bigger meltdown than that. Duke Kentucky in the 1998 regional final was rough. Duke was up as many as 18 in the first half and up 49-39 at the half and Kentucky came back to win 86-84 under Tubby Smith. Duke was a 1 seed that year but Kentucky was a 2. Maybe the Northern Iowa vs. Texas A & M round of 32 game this year was as bad? Northern Iowa blew a 12 point lead with 44 seconds left to lose in double OT. But yesterday was just as hard to watch as both of those, if not more!

No doubt but give Syracuse a lot of credit for making a lot of shots down the stretch. That put a lot of pressure on us and we crumbled. No other way to describe it really. Obviously disappointed because we had such a great opportunity to make the Final Four but also hard to be too upset with an Elite 8 appearance either. Drowning myself in whiskey last night definitely helped ease the pain. It'll be interesting to see next year's squad. We'll obviously take a step back but kind of hard to maintain a 1 or 2 seed every year. I mean, even Duke can't do it so you know it's gotta be tough. I'm really excited to see how some of the role players step up and see how some of the transfers and incoming recruits look. Lastly, I was really proud of how Bennett and the UVA players handled the loss. As disappointed as I was, I can only imagine how hard it was for them. Really special class of players that had really special careers at UVA. Hopefully, they helped build the foundation that will eventually lead UVA to the Final Four and a national championship.

CameronDuke
03-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Yes give Cuse a ton of credit. They hit shots and the switch to the press for a short stretch of the game by Boeheim really caught Virginia off guard. Boeheim, love him or hate him, has won for a long time at Cuse. He obviously got caught up in some egregiously illegal practices which is a shame but he can still coach. I didn't like hearing some people's analyses I read elsewhere saying he blew the doors off Bennett in terms of out coaching him yesterday. Not sure what else Bennett could do when his players were breaking the press but then rushing possessions and taking it right to the rim for missed layups. Maybe he could have called a timeout during the 25-4 run but I still think Virginia got rattled and may have still been sped up on offense. It didn't help that Cuse hit just about everything during their run. Richardson went unconscious and that sometimes is insurmountable. I'll tell you what I think. The Pete Gillen and Dave Leitao days are over. This group of seniors laid down the foundation for a program with staying power. Like you said, even we Duke fans know a 1-seed perennially is unrealistic. But Virginia will be at worst an NCAA Tournament team most years from here on out under Bennett. That's a heck of an accomplishment. Most teams in college basketball can't say that, if not the vast majority. I am excited, too, to see what he can do. I am a Duke fan through and through but Virginia has been my second favorite ACC team for a long time. Next year, Virginia will go as far as Perrantes takes them. He is going to be counted on for leadership and scoring. It will be fun to see Brogdon back at the JPJ one day to see his jersey get retired and hang in the rafters for the rest of time. Guys like him don't come around very often in NCAA athletics period, much less a basketball program. I would love to see him have a long NBA career (I'm thinking the Spurs would make a nice fit for his game), but with his two degrees from UVA, he is positioned for a great life after basketball. Very well spoken, grounded gentleman. Reminds me a lot of Grant Hill with his ability to articulate and his demeanor.

Wahoo2000
03-28-2016, 03:11 PM
I'll also echo statements that Syracuse played GREAT in that last 10 minutes. I think even if we eliminated the turnovers and mental errors we had, we probably only would've won by about 4-5 points.

That was tough to take. No doubt the disappointments of the last 2 tournament exits was felt by everyone on the floor even moreso than the "pressure" 'Cuse was applying (with was fantastic). Those 2 things combined had us completely rattled - something I've NEVER seen from these UVA teams over the last 3 or so seasons. In the end, we tightened up just enough, and they made just enough hero-plays to get us.

Opportunity aside (and that is INCREDIBLY difficult to do given how close we were) this IS still a step forward for the program. Not the collapse obviously, but getting to an E8 - something we hadn't done in 20+ years. It's also telling to me how far we've come as a program in a short time that NOT getting a final four is a massive disappointment.... especially when we weren't even ranked in the top 5 for the majority of the season.

As to next year, I'd forecast us being more of a top 10-20 team than a 1-10 team. Bennett has shown to be masterful in getting the players to execute his system, but they need time on the floor together to acclimate. My guess is that our returning upperclassmen will be a little better than expected, but that the highly touted recruits and transfers may take a little time to acclimate. We will be MUCH more athletic next season, especially in the frontcourt, so perhaps that will help the D return to the level it was at in 14-15. We were definitely "down" defensively this year.

CameronDuke
03-28-2016, 03:28 PM
I'll also echo statements that Syracuse played GREAT in that last 10 minutes. I think even if we eliminated the turnovers and mental errors we had, we probably only would've won by about 4-5 points.

That was tough to take. No doubt the disappointments of the last 2 tournament exits was felt by everyone on the floor even moreso than the "pressure" 'Cuse was applying (with was fantastic). Those 2 things combined had us completely rattled - something I've NEVER seen from these UVA teams over the last 3 or so seasons. In the end, we tightened up just enough, and they made just enough hero-plays to get us.

Opportunity aside (and that is INCREDIBLY difficult to do given how close we were) this IS still a step forward for the program. Not the collapse obviously, but getting to an E8 - something we hadn't done in 20+ years. It's also telling to me how far we've come as a program in a short time that NOT getting a final four is a massive disappointment... especially when we weren't even ranked in the top 5 for the majority of the season.

As to next year, I'd forecast us being more of a top 10-20 team than a 1-10 team. Bennett has shown to be masterful in getting the players to execute his system, but they need time on the floor together to acclimate. My guess is that our returning upperclassmen will be a little better than expected, but that the highly touted recruits and transfers may take a little time to acclimate. We will be MUCH more athletic next season, especially in the frontcourt, so perhaps that will help the D return to the level it was at in 14-15. We were definitely "down" defensively this year.

I agree that UVA will be a 10-20 ranked team at least to start the season. One thing I haven't read or heard much about from Virginia fans after last night is Justin Anderson. If he's on the court yesterday, does Virginia make a final four? My answer is yes. They actually may have won the national title this season with Justin Anderson. What might have been...

freshmanjs
03-28-2016, 04:15 PM
I agree that UVA will be a 10-20 ranked team at least to start the season. One thing I haven't read or heard much about from Virginia fans after last night is Justin Anderson. If he's on the court yesterday, does Virginia make a final four? My answer is yes. They actually may have won the national title this season with Justin Anderson. What might have been...

I think all top programs could say something like that. Duke might have won the NC if Tyus Jones were back. Can't really say UVA would have made the final4 with their guy back without also assuming everyone else has their guys back too.

Troublemaker
03-28-2016, 04:36 PM
Looked at the play-by-play to confirm something I thought I saw. From 9:47 to 3:27 of the second half, Syracuse scored on 12 consecutive possessions. I think when UVA looks at the game film, they'll probably be most disappointed by that.

Still, obviously a great season, senior class, and coach. Much to be proud of. I agree with others on a step back for UVA next season (but still NCAA tourney) and possible major contention in the year after that, although we'll have to see how the young guys develop.

Next year's team is plain and simple all Bennett's recruits and personnel. Most were this year, but it is Tony's show to run next year.

Bennett has been the coach at UVA since the 2009-10 season. Unless they have an 8th-year senior, I think all the players were his recruits this season.

Rich
03-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Bennett has been coach at UVA since the 2009-10 season. Unless they have an 8th-year senior, I think all the players were his recruits.

Pretty sure Kyle Wiltjer and Perry Ellis have been playing since 2009-10, but I can't think of anyone on UVA.

The one thing that struck me about Bennett is that his calm (almost zombie) demeanor never changed throughout the game or even after during the press conference. If I'm a UVA fan I'd like to see someone with more emotion. I think he's a great coach, and in certain situations that calm demeanor is an asset, but I also like a coach who can get fired up when his team needs him to. He seems to lack that quality.

CameronDuke
03-28-2016, 04:54 PM
I think all top programs could say something like that. Duke might have won the NC if Tyus Jones were back. Can't really say UVA would have made the final4 with their guy back without also assuming everyone else has their guys back too.

And we all know how much whining we had to read about Duke not having Amile this season from our own fan base...

Wahoo2000
03-28-2016, 06:56 PM
Pretty sure Kyle Wiltjer and Perry Ellis have been playing since 2009-10, but I can't think of anyone on UVA.

The one thing that struck me about Bennett is that his calm (almost zombie) demeanor never changed throughout the game or even after during the press conference. If I'm a UVA fan I'd like to see someone with more emotion. I think he's a great coach, and in certain situations that calm demeanor is an asset, but I also like a coach who can get fired up when his team needs him to. He seems to lack that quality.

He absolutely does get fired up from time to time. He knew our guys were a ball of nerves yesterday. They felt so much pressure after going out earlier the last couple years and add in the pressure of this "easy path to the final four" and you get everybody super-tight. Bennett was trying to exude calm and confidence, that's all.

I think we were fine yesterday if we'd avoided the little run of hero-shots they started making. We also would've been fine if we avoided silly turnovers. Basically, we had to make several errors AND 'Cuse had to play GREAT to win. Both things happened. You just hope that the experience of being in that spot in that big of a game helps the guys who are around the next time we get there.... whether that's just Bennett/staff or some of the current underclassmen too.

devildeac
03-28-2016, 07:41 PM
He absolutely does get fired up from time to time. He knew our guys were a ball of nerves yesterday. They felt so much pressure after going out earlier the last couple years and add in the pressure of this "easy path to the final four" and you get everybody super-tight. Bennett was trying to exude calm and confidence, that's all.

I think we were fine yesterday if we'd avoided the little run of hero-shots they started making. We also would've been fine if we avoided silly turnovers. Basically, we had to make several errors AND 'Cuse had to play GREAT to win. Both things happened. You just hope that the experience of being in that spot in that big of a game helps the guys who are around the next time we get there... whether that's just Bennett/staff or some of the current underclassmen too.

Wait! Somebody made some "hero-shots" against y'all? Nah, that only happens to Duke :rolleyes:;) .

jv001
03-28-2016, 07:55 PM

If I'm a Wahoo fan, I can't ever see anyone else coaching the team. Most teams would kill for Bennett to be their head coach. He's one of the bright up and coming college coaches. GoDuke!