03-13-2016, 05:45 PM
Surprised to see UVA a 1 seed...

BigZ
03-13-2016, 05:45 PM
Oregon shocker over MSU

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Oregon shocker over MSU
Really, UVA is a shock over MSU also. Unless you care about that dumb RPI thing.

weezie
03-13-2016, 05:52 PM
Go Jackrabbit!

BigZ
03-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Hope Heels get MSU in their bracjet

wavedukefan70s
03-13-2016, 05:56 PM
A argument for kentucky being the most dynamic and impressive team?
Examples given were for a win over a overhyped south carolina team.
That is a real head shaker.
Msu not being a 1 seed is a surprise.as Gomer Pyle says:surprise ,surprise,surprise!

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-13-2016, 05:57 PM
Can we get a Kenny vs Dougie gladiator style duel to the death?

SCMatt33
03-13-2016, 05:59 PM
Hope Heels get MSU in their bracjet

I'll second that! Just relieved they don't get nova

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-13-2016, 06:01 PM
Is Bill Self showing off those bakery championships in the background there?

Wander
Michigan State had the worst loss of any of the potential #1 seeds (home to Nebraska) - I think that was basically the difference.

But let's stop the faux outrage over UVA or Oregon and focus on something we can all agree on: this 2 hour format is useless and horrible.

subzero02
This new format is waaaaaaayy too drawn out. I don't give a dang about bill self's opinion. Keep revealing the regions. This isn't fair to fans.

Bluedog
03-13-2016, 06:02 PM
I'll second that! Just relieved they don't get nova

Agreed, but Nova in Philly would theoretically be a road game. I'm sure MSU will be Virginia's 2 in the Midwest, so not much difference for them really.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-13-2016, 06:03 PM
This new format is waaaaaaayy too drawn out. I don't give a dang about bill self's opinion. Keep revealing the regions. This isn't fair to fans.
Good lord now they are doing picks before revealing the next region. This sucks.

weezie
03-13-2016, 06:03 PM
This South looks messy

subzero02
03-13-2016, 06:04 PM
I spoke too soon... oh Charles. I love you but save it for after all of the regions have been revealed.

DukeTrinity11
03-13-2016, 06:06 PM
Good lord Chuck is annoyingly hilarious, he clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

DukeTrinity11
03-13-2016, 06:07 PM
The South Region looks like a gauntlet. Kansas will have to potentially beat UConn, Maryland/Cal and Nova/Miami just to reach the Final Four.

Good luck with that March Chokehawks!!!

DukieTiger
03-13-2016, 06:10 PM
This reminds me of the time CBS used a new version of One Shining Moment- which was promptly replaced by the original the following year.

duke4ever19
03-13-2016, 06:10 PM
Is Bill Self showing off those bakery championships in the background there?

I hope that wasn't his basketball team shooting in the background. 90% of those shots were not even close to going in.

BigZ
03-13-2016, 06:12 PM
Bring on the Seahawks

subzero02
I like it... 4 seed in the west vs. Unc wilmington

wavedukefan70s
Did he really have to bring grayson allens name up ,seriously.

Troublemaker
03-13-2016, 06:13 PM
Dream bracket. (No jinx no jinx no jinx).

Dr. Rosenrosen
That's rich... Doug Gottlieb commenting on a college kid's "shenanigans"... What an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..

FerryFor50

Love any chance to beat up on any UNC school.

weezie
03-13-2016, 06:15 PM
The sooner... not crazy about that one...

subzero02
03-13-2016, 06:16 PM
Of course Dougie picks us to lose to Baylor... experience tells me not to give him any "credit"...

dukeSF
03-13-2016, 06:16 PM
https://twitter.com/ericsports/status/709139994045091842/photo/1

Tripping William
03-13-2016, 06:17 PM
Given the alternatives, I'll take this Road any day that ends in "y." Let's do this!

NYBri
03-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Not a bad draw. Still have to play, but not a bad draw at all.

TKG
03-13-2016, 06:19 PM
I have been forced to pull for Kentucky.

Troublemaker
03-13-2016, 06:20 PM
https://twitter.com/ericsports/status/709139994045091842/photo/1

Thanks!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CddfDpYUMAAJ1TJ.jpg

AvlDukie
03-13-2016, 06:20 PM
UNC and Kentucky in the Sweet 16??
Love it!!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-13-2016, 06:22 PM
I'm thrilled with our bracket! No carolinahttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif , no Kentucky, no Maryland, no other ACC teams!

And now, we can beat unc to win the National Championship this year! LGD! GTHc!
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

beach rev
03-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Don't sleep on UNCW. Kevin Keatts has them playing well. Very good guard play and some big bodies. I think we'll advance, but this is not an easy first round game.

Troublemaker
03-13-2016, 06:25 PM
Higher resolution for the uncovered half of the bracket:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CddbUBbVIAEWav4.jpg

Troublemaker
03-13-2016, 06:27 PM
Don't sleep on UNCW. Kevin Keatts has them playing well. Very good guard play and some big bodies. I think we'll advance, but this is not an easy first round game.

Oh, for sure. I fully expect a tough 1st and 2nd round game, and we could lose either round. That was basically unavoidable as a 4 seed. Me liking the bracket has to do with how everything else shaped up.

JPtheGame
03-13-2016, 06:28 PM
Great bracket. In the first hour where they discussed the south only, I just knew we were going to pop up as the 4 to play MD. Compared to that, Ill take this draw anytime. Very favorable by comparison

gurufrisbee
03-13-2016, 06:31 PM
South is ridiculously easy. Kansas and the collection of the wildly overrated.

EVERYONE will be picking Baylor to beat Duke in the 2nd round.

This two hour format absolutely sucks. No one wants talking heads to sit around and pick chalk. BOR-ING!

Charles is entertaining but he clearly knows nothing about Seth Davis. Davis went to Duke but goes out of his way to be anti-Duke all the time. The only shock so far is that he didn't pick UNC-Wilmington.

slower
03-13-2016, 06:33 PM
Charles is entertaining but he clearly knows nothing about Seth Davis. Davis went to Duke but goes out of his way to be anti-Duke all the time. The only shock so far is that he didn't pick UNC-Wilmington.

Chuck knows nothing about LOTS of things. And Kenny Smith is just...a clown. Of course, I'm not even watching the show.

wavedukefan70s
03-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Providence is a solid team for the other shade of blue.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-13-2016, 06:39 PM
South is ridiculously easy. Kansas and the collection of the wildly overrated.

EVERYONE will be picking Baylor to beat Duke in the 2nd round.

This two hour format absolutely sucks. No one wants talking heads to sit around and pick chalk. BOR-ING!

Everyone knows nothing. We'll be playing Yale. Not Baylor.

gurufrisbee
03-13-2016, 06:42 PM
I don't think it will stop them, but I do like the idea of NC having to battle through Providence (who I also hate), Kentucky (who I also hate), and then West Virginia. They might make the Final Four, but they'll at least be challenged and beaten up to get there.

subzero02
03-13-2016, 06:42 PM
I would gladly take Yale... providence was my tournament sleeper until now. I think ewe in sea will be too much for the friars... just 1 question? Do you like pina coladas?

NM Duke Fan
03-13-2016, 06:43 PM
Interesting that the CBS bracketology I posted in the other thread today came out exactly like they predicted, at that particular time anyways: 4 seed in the West. I don't expect any easy games, but I too like this bracket, considering the alternatives!

gocanes0506
03-13-2016, 06:43 PM
UNX Wilmington will make the 2nd game tough. They like to push the pace and will make team tired. Then Baylor will want to come in and beat those tired bodies with physicality.

Bluegrassdevil1
03-13-2016, 06:45 PM

Playing Yale in Lovecraft country? Totally unfair home court advantage for the Amtrakers!

But seriously...

Baylor is not a great match-up, so LET'S GO BULLDOGS!

But the Bears were not a great match-up in '10, so who knows?

gurufrisbee
03-13-2016, 06:45 PM
Virginia has the toughest road. Second weekend they'll play Purdue or Iowa St who are both really good and then Michigan State. Yikes.

Henderson
03-13-2016, 06:48 PM
1. #4 Seed. As good as we could have hoped for.

2. Providence. Not bad. It's not Spokane.

3. ##1, 2, 3, and 5 are all beatable teams for Duke. None is a cakewalk (nor is our opener).

4. Even Anaheim (knock wood) is not bad. None of the other schools is close enough to drive there either (except #15 Cal St. Bakersfield).

All in all, I have to like it.

gurufrisbee
03-13-2016, 06:51 PM
2. Providence. Not bad. It's not Spokane.

Some of us were rooting for Spokane. I'd be courtside if that had happened.

dukelifer
03-13-2016, 06:51 PM
Virginia has the toughest road. Second weekend they'll play Purdue or Iowa St who are both really good and then Michigan State. Yikes.

Virginia is already out. Michigan State is in. Happens every year.

Troublemaker
03-13-2016, 06:52 PM
Here are the 13 seeds ranked by KenPom:

#61 - Hawaii
#73 - Iona
#74 - UNC-W
#91 - Stony Brook

So we definitely got a fair shake with the 13 seed. Not that anyone was saying otherwise.

Troublemaker
03-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Here are the 5 seeds ranked by Kenpom:

#10 - Purdue
#14 - Indiana
#23 - Maryland
#24 - Baylor

Once again, a fair shake. I would probably prefer Indiana to Baylor despite the ranking, but I mean, we can't ask for the world here.

Doria
03-13-2016, 06:57 PM
Thrilled with our draw. We could clearly lose any of these games, but I'm plenty okay with the teams in our half.

Well, Virginia has to beat Michigan State sometime, right?

Agree with guru about Carolina's path; assuming they get past Providence, it'll be a game I probably won't be able to stand to watch in UNC-KY. (Also, hate WV, too.)

gurufrisbee
03-13-2016, 06:59 PM
Three regions down and these nimrods haven't picked one single first round upset. Who do they think watches this show? Geena from Accounting? Why don't they just tell us who has the best mascot or the cutest hair cuts? An extra hour for this garbage?

Devilwin
03-13-2016, 07:00 PM
Baylor is too good for us? Really? This Duke team beat UVA, UNC, Indiana, and others better than Baylor...No respect..:mad:

wsb3
03-13-2016, 07:01 PM
I jokingly said to my wife a few weeks ago. She is a UNCW grad that it was possible for a Duke vs UNCW opening round game. I hate it. :mad:

I am from the Wilmington area..lived here my entire life-now at Carolina Beach the past 14 years & I would pull for UNCW like crazy against any other team in the nation but DUKE.

Win or lose UNCW will press the entire game & the last thing I wanted to see was a pressing team considering our thin team. They also will not quit. They came back from 20 to beat Hofstra. I have watched them play from behind the entire game & keep pressing until the other team wore down & they won. So don't get comfortable if Duke is up 10-15 points for a stretch unless there are seconds left in the game.

gurufrisbee
03-13-2016, 07:03 PM
I'll probably get in trouble for this, but I'm really hoping in a few days we can say that UNCheaters got beaten by Fair Dick.

TruBlu
03-13-2016, 07:05 PM
#1: GO Duke!

#2: GO Seeds 2-3 and 5-16 in the East Bracket! (Up until the championship game)

Atlanta Duke
03-13-2016, 07:06 PM
I have been forced to pull for Kentucky.

But either UK or UNC is gone after they play in the sweet sixteen - thank you committee

kmspeaks
03-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Does anybody know when game times will be announced?

gurufrisbee
03-13-2016, 07:10 PM
Yes, if they could have added UConn to the East region and then dropped the entire region into a bottomless pit, that would have been just perfect.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-13-2016, 07:10 PM
I caught the GA comment but I must have missed the UNC cheating commentary, right? Because someone MUST have said something about 5 level 1 infractions, right?

TKG
03-13-2016, 07:15 PM
I caught the GA comment but I must have missed the UNC cheating commentary, right? Because someone MUST have said something about 5 level 1 infractions, right?

Surely Seth Davis weighed in.........

azzefkram
03-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Our draw is not easy but completely doable. While I always want to win the ACC Tourney, I think our earlier than wished for exit will be a blessing in disguise. UNCW may press but we should be rested and they are one of the worst teams in the country when it comes to sending the opposing team to the line.

gofurman
03-13-2016, 07:21 PM
I jokingly said to my wife a few weeks ago. She is a UNCW grad that it was possible for a Duke vs UNCW opening round game. I hate it. :mad:

I am from the Wilmington area..lived here my entire life-now at Carolina Beach the past 14 years & I would pull for UNCW like crazy against any other team in the nation but DUKE.

Win or lose UNCW will press the entire game & the last thing I wanted to see was a pressing team considering our thin team. They also will not quit. They came back from 20 to beat Hofstra. I have watched them play from behind the entire game & keep pressing until the other team wore down & they won. So don't get comfortable if Duke is up 10-15 points for a stretch unless there are seconds left in the game.

interesting.. I would much rather NOT play a pressing team too. Even if you win you are generally more tired for the next game - mentally and physically .. much more taxing bringing the ball up the court vs a press than just walking it up relaxed as is the case vs most teams.

*Please someone scout UNCW for us - someone like wsb3 who knows them or has seen them a little. Impressive win over ETSU (as a Furman guy I can attest that ETSU is good for the SoCon and UNCW beat em by 20 !). ETSU was right with Chattanooga in the SoCon and Chatt is a 12 seed

***One thing I REALLY want to see if they press is ... if we beat the press DO NOT pull back and let their D recover !!! ATTACK it. Every basketball player and analyst agrees with this. If you beat the press and get a 2 on 1 or some man advantage then go to the rim. Don't waste a 2 on 1 and just stop attacking once across half-court and let their other guys get back for a 5 on 5. Duke has a bad habit of this - Example: You all recall Clemson beating the living crap out of Duke a few years ago with Oliver Purnell running that press/?? We would cross half court, maybe have a two on one or 3 on 2 and not use it! The press is akin to the blitz in football - its going to cause turnovers and pressure but to really beat it you ought to go after it aggressively. Throw to the man-on-man recvr in football parlance. You don't see football teams block every blitzing LB and then just handoff - they throw to a recvr streaking down the field bc there is no safety to help. Sports 101. Duke sometimes seems happy just to get across half court and let the D recover. With regards to the press, if you beat it.. BEAT IT.

DU82
03-13-2016, 07:27 PM
I'll probably get in trouble for this, but I'm really hoping in a few days we can say that UNCheaters got beaten by Fair Dick.

That's Fairleigh Rediculous to the locals. Mad they beat Wagner, but go Knights (assuming they can beat FGCU.)

NM Duke Fan
03-13-2016, 07:29 PM
Just saw that Duke was the 13th seed on the 68 team seeding list, not bad at all, no wonder we got a 4!

Henderson
03-13-2016, 07:32 PM
That's Fairleigh Rediculous to the locals. Mad they beat Wagner, but go Knights (assuming they can beat FGCU.)

They spell things funny in Jersey. I thought Redicule was just J.J. hate.

left_hook_lacey
03-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Massive meltdown about Duke always getting a cake walk in the tournament in 3......2.......1.........

dukelifer
03-13-2016, 07:48 PM
Just saw that Duke was the 13th seed on the 68 team seeding list, not bad at all, no wonder we got a 4!

Beat 2 1 seeds with 6 players-has to count for something ;) Pretty surprised though as Duke was limping into the dance.

Atlanta Duke
03-13-2016, 07:48 PM

Someone apparently agreed and took some action to address the delay:)

A supposedly leaked official NCAA tournament bracket was posted on Twitter during Sunday's CBS two-hour selection show. It ended up being 100 percent correct.

It was nearly an hour later by the time the network had officially announced all 68 teams, with Syracuse getting in and Monmouth -- and its entertaining bench players -- missing out.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14966467/ncaa-tournament-bracket-apparently-leaked

NM Duke Fan
03-13-2016, 07:50 PM
Beat 2 1 seeds with 6 players-has to count for something ;) Pretty surprised though as Duke was limping into the dance.

Yes, I would bet it counted for a lot and I agree that it should! We just missed being a 3 seed, which really would have brought out the howls from the critics ...

Pghdukie
03-13-2016, 07:50 PM
Brackets are all set. Now freeking TV has to get their grubby hands on it and screw it all up. Gottlieb is the worse.Tru TV 2nd, and 10pm start times suck !

Henderson
03-13-2016, 07:57 PM
The CBS show was horrible. Sir Charles didn't know how to use the high-tech board, and no way was Dougie ("Is that my phone?") Gottlieb was going to help. And stretching it out was such a cynical attempt to increase ad revenue. They know that if they post the brackets first, everyone will be staring at the brackets and looking at matchups instead of following the talking heads, let alone the commercials.

Well, guess what CBS: If I wait less than two hours, I can get a complete bracket without listening to an uninsightful Dougie or ill-prepared Charles, and without looking at any of your sponsors' stupid ads. Neener frickin' neener.

diablesseblu
03-13-2016, 08:12 PM
The CBS show was dreadful, but at least they did not make the boneheaded gaffe that just occurred on ESPN.

Rece, Seth and "the Jays" are on set talking about the Big 10 teams in the tournament. The graphic listing the teams comes on the screen as they talk. It stays on the screen for a bit. Maryland is not listed as a Big 10 team!

They did not address the error. Am sure SVP was/is not happy.

DUKIE V(A)
03-13-2016, 08:12 PM

We should be able to handle the press and get easy buckets. I prefer that style to a more rugged one.

devildeac
03-13-2016, 08:30 PM
We should be able to handle the press and get easy buckets. I prefer that style to a more rugged one.

Counterpoint: We didn't handle the l-ville press very well (but perhaps the Seahawks won't be as grabby/pushy as the Cardinals were).

weezie
03-13-2016, 08:32 PM
...Am sure SVP was/is not happy.

And with that I can sleep well.

WakeDevil
03-13-2016, 08:43 PM
Massive meltdown about Duke always getting a cake walk in the tournament in 3...2....1.....

The fine folks at IC have already taken care of that.

jipops
03-13-2016, 08:53 PM
Thrilled with our draw. We could clearly lose any of these games, but I'm plenty okay with the teams in our half.

Well, Virginia has to beat Michigan State sometime, right?

Agree with guru about Carolina's path; assuming they get past Providence, it'll be a game I probably won't be able to stand to watch in UNC-KY. (Also, hate WV, too.)

I'm thrilled with it also. Of course we could very well drop the first game. But I think matchups with any of the top seeds in the region are winnable games. The least winnable may actually be A&M.

I didn't watch the selection show but sounds like Baylor is going to be the popular pick over us. This seems to ignore the fact that they haven't been playing well offensively lately either. I'm totally fine with everyone else jumping on that bandwagon though. If the matchup does occur, it could very well end up being a brick fest.

NashvilleDevil
03-13-2016, 08:56 PM
Counterpoint: We didn't handle the l-ville press very well (but perhaps the Seahawks won't be as grabby/pushy as the Cardinals were).

Duke did handle the Louisville press well until Derryck went out. Duke led most of the 2nd half by double digits until Derryck's shoulder hit the floor.

I'm sure Duke will be on upset alert after the Lehigh and Mercer games. UNCW will want to join that list so the boys need to be ready. My question about UNCW is their age, Mercer was incredibly old for a college team, several 5th year guys if I recall. I want to say the same thing applies with Lehigh plus they had the best player on the floor in McCollum.

If Grayson can get freedom of movement I like Duke's chances to win convincingly. If the officials have bought into the ESPN narrative that Grayson is not deserving of getting anything then Duke will struggle. Thursday would also be a nice time for Ingram to show what he's made of, just don't want him pressing thinking he has to do everything to show he could be the #1 pick.

jipops
03-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Massive meltdown about Duke always getting a cake walk in the tournament in 3...2....1.....

To be fair, it is a favorable draw. But it is far, far from being a cakewalk. The cheats fans have no room to talk whatsoever. Their 2 seed is the weakest by a wide margin. Rated even lower than Indiana and Wichita St according to kenpom.

kmspeaks
03-13-2016, 09:08 PM
Duke did handle the Louisville press well until Derryck went out. Duke led most of the 2nd half by double digits until Derryck's shoulder hit the floor.

I'm sure Duke will be on upset alert after the Lehigh and Mercer games. UNCW will want to join that list so the boys need to be ready. My question about UNCW is their age, Mercer was incredibly old for a college team, several 5th year guys if I recall. I want to say the same thing applies with Lehigh plus they had the best player on the floor in McCollum.

If Grayson can get freedom of movement I like Duke's chances to win convincingly. If the officials have bought into the ESPN narrative that Grayson is not deserving of getting anything then Duke will struggle. Thursday would also be a nice time for Ingram to show what he's made of, just don't want him pressing thinking he has to do everything to show he could be the #1 pick.

For me this is the biggest question mark, not just for Duke, but for filling out my bracket in general. How will freedom of movement be enforced? In the past the tournament has typically been even more physical than the regular season and I think FOM was pretty much thrown out the window by the halfway mark of the conference season. However, there has been discussion here about statements from the NCAA wanting FOM enforced consistently in the tournament. The amount of physicality that will be allowed might change my predictions for teams like UVA or West Virginia to name a few. It's something I'll be watching throughout the tournament for sure.

jipops
03-13-2016, 09:10 PM
Brackets are all set. Now freeking TV has to get their grubby hands on it and screw it all up. Gottlieb is the worse.Tru TV 2nd, and 10pm start times suck !

Look on the bright side. No more college games televised by that trashy espn network this season. None of the big time games at least.

-jk
03-13-2016, 09:12 PM
For me this is the biggest question mark, not just for Duke, but for filling out my bracket in general. How will freedom of movement be enforced? In the past the tournament has typically been even more physical than the regular season and I think FOM was pretty much thrown out the window by the halfway mark of the conference season. However, there has been discussion here about statements from the NCAA wanting FOM enforced consistently in the tournament. The amount of physicality that will be allowed might change my predictions for teams like UVA or West Virginia to name a few. It's something I'll be watching throughout the tournament for sure.

I posted earlier about how the NCAA will look for freedom of movement as just one of many criteria for advancement. Not sure how it'll rank, though. I suspect maintaining control in a chippy game will rank higher...

I miss flowy hoops!

-jk

brumby041
03-13-2016, 09:31 PM
Massive meltdown about Duke always getting a cake walk in the tournament in 3...2...1....

I live in Maryland - the Terp fans are losing their minds over Duke's 4 seed compared to Maryland's 5. The inferiority complex is alive and well!

Henderson
03-13-2016, 09:37 PM
I live in Maryland - the Terp fans are losing their minds over Duke's 4 seed compared to Maryland's 5. The inferiority complex is alive and well!

Richly deserved too.

diablesseblu
03-13-2016, 09:37 PM

They should feel inferior if ESPN doesn't even place them in the correct conference!

4xduke
03-13-2016, 09:44 PM
gametime - darn, same time as class I have to teach - cancel class?

NashvilleDevil
03-13-2016, 09:46 PM

No. Have the game on during class.

awhom111
03-13-2016, 09:48 PM

Here is the entire list to clear up any confusion for anyone:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CddomRHWEAI1uba.jpg

jv001
03-13-2016, 09:48 PM
The fine folks at IC have already taken care of that.

Why would you want to put yourself through that. It's bad enough that I have to associate with them on a day to day basis. GoDuke!

Wander
03-13-2016, 09:51 PM
Lame job on Monmouth, selection committee.

Funny to see the NCAA pissy about the bracket getting leaked. Switch away from that lame 2 hour format.

DukieInKansas
03-13-2016, 11:47 PM

And discuss its relevance to your subject matter. Don't know what you teach, so it could be interesting.

Bluedog
03-14-2016, 12:05 AM
If we were the top #4 technically, how did we get assigned out west? Fine with our placement, but would have thought we'd go South (not East or Midwest since wouldn't put us with UNC or UVa). Seems like the geographic rules this year are funky. Nobody seems to understand why Kansas as the overall #1 was sent South instead Midwest. Lunardi, JWill all confused..

BandAlum83
03-14-2016, 01:42 AM
If we were the top #4 technically, how did we get assigned out west? Fine with our placement, but would have thought we'd go South (not East or Midwest since wouldn't put us with UNC or UVa). Seems like the geographic rules this year are funky. Nobody seems to understand why Kansas as the overall #1 was sent South instead Midwest. Lunardi, JWill all confused..

Miami is seeded ahead of us, so we would be the most likely to get sent the furthest, right?

Bluedog
03-14-2016, 01:50 AM
Miami is seeded ahead of us, so we would be the most likely to get sent the furthest, right?

Yes, but Miami is a 3 seed. As the "top 4", we should theoretically be slotted in the most geographically convenient region as long as it doesn't run afoul of other bracketing rules. But maybe you're bringing up a good point and they try to avoid two teams from the same conference be among the top for seeds in a given bracket? I thought they just try to avoid match ups before the Elite 8 for teams within the same conference, but maybe there's another rule. Again, happy to be in the West over the South, though.

BandAlum83
03-14-2016, 01:55 AM
Yes, but Miami is a 3 seed. As the "top 4", we should theoretically be slotted in the most geographically convenient region as long as it doesn't run afoul of other bracketing rules. But maybe you're bringing up a good point and they try to avoid two teams from the same conference be among the top for seeds in a given bracket? I thought they just try to avoid match ups before the Elite 8 for teams within the same conference, but maybe there's another rule. Again, happy to be in the West over the South, though.

I'm pretty sure two teams from the same conference cannot be in the top 4 of a region. I would think they would also try to avoid two in the top 5, but it isn't as formalized. So once Miami was slotted, Duke was the last to be slotted and got sent out west.

Tom B.
03-14-2016, 01:30 PM
I'm pretty sure two teams from the same conference cannot be in the top 4 of a region. I would think they would also try to avoid two in the top 5, but it isn't as formalized. So once Miami was slotted, Duke was the last to be slotted and got sent out west.

I think this is correct. And while we're in the West Region, we do get to play the first two rounds in Providence, which isn't a bad location for us -- especially given the concentration of Duke alumni in the Acela corridor. It's really the best we could do after Raleigh (which we knew was going to go to UNC and Virginia) and Brooklyn.

That's the biggest difference between being a 4 seed instead of a 5 seed. As a 4 seed, we get to be a "pod leader" and get some geographic consideration for our early round games -- but as a 5 seed, it would've been anybody's guess. (If you squint real hard, you can see Maryland waving hello from Spokane.)

brevity
03-14-2016, 03:22 PM
Belated observations:

1. Sounds like I picked a really good year to skip the Selection Show.

2. The Selection Committee hated, HATED the Big Ten. Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana, Maryland, and possibly Iowa were all demoted one seed line from collective expectations. You can't blame it entirely on their RPI reliance: Michigan State is 11th, but Maryland and Purdue are both in the top 15.

3. Maryland's fall to a 5 seed cleared the way for Duke to play their first weekend in Providence rather than Denver or Spokane.

4. The South Regional got the 3rd, 4th, and 5th best Pac-12 teams: 4 seed California, 6 seed Arizona, and 8 seed Colorado. Kind of like the East last year, which had 2 seed Virginia, 4 seed Louisville*, and 8 seed NC State.

* Despite earlier mutterings about never having top 4 seeds in a region from the same conference, it was necessary last year. There were 5 ACC teams with a 4 seed or better.

weezie
03-14-2016, 03:39 PM

And discuss its relevance to your subject matter. Don't know what you teach, so it could be interesting.

Naaah, give 'em a pop quiz. Who cares what they think!

Obviously, I was never cut out to be a teacher :eek:

CameronBornAndBred
03-14-2016, 06:52 PM
While perusing the bracket, I had a bit of a thought. What will Ozzie's look like this year since we aren't favored? I think I know.

:cool:

duketaylor
03-14-2016, 07:52 PM
I'm pretty to almost completely sure that conference foes cannot meet until at least the sweet 16, hence as the other ACC members ahead of us have priority in placement as to region, not pod assignment. We would've had priority over region assignment to the other ACC members. On an aside, VCU was slated as a 7 seed, and Oregon St. a 10, until VCU lost to St.Joe's, then the committee flipped them, so take VCU, as they're a 5-point favorite already. Came down to the final being on Selection Sunday.

hsheffield
03-18-2016, 07:27 PM

Dr. RR called it on 3/13