PDA

View Full Version : The NCAA Tournament and rules changes

BandAlum83
03-11-2016, 07:02 PM
A lot has been made of this years' freedom of movement rules and the application of said rules during the regular season. In particular, there seems to be general consensus that the rules changes have not seemed to make much difference with regards to off ball movement and screens, etc. Many believe that Grayson has, in particular, not been the beneficiary of the change as believed he should have been (especially post-villain identification).

All this being said, I was listening to a pod cast the other day (can't remember which one) which included an interview with an NCAA rules and referee official. It was clear that the conference referees are not supervised by the NCAA, which puts out guidelines for emphasis each year.

The interview I heard made clear that the emphasis on FOM will be reiterated during the tournament with the goal of consistent application.

I am thinking that if true, this could greatly benefit our team, on both sides of the ball. Free movement would really benefit Grayson (Brandon and Luke also) for obvious reasons, and on the defensive side of the ball we aren't the type of team to constantly body up or impede flow. We are more geared toward denying passing lanes and fronting players, from my amateur eye.

Any thoughts on this from the much more experienced analysts out here?

Doria
03-11-2016, 07:05 PM
I am not a more experienced analyst, but I'm pretty skeptical (though I'd like this to be true!). The tournament has almost always seemed to allow more physical play than the conference season, at least in terms of the ACC. But maybe this is just a biased misconception I've had, based on Duke's general supposed preferred style. I do think this would benefit Duke, certainly, if true. If you remember which podcast you were listening to, please post, as I'd be interested in listening and it sounds interesting, anyway.

BandAlum83
03-11-2016, 07:14 PM
I am not a more experienced analyst, but I'm pretty skeptical (though I'd like this to be true!). The tournament has almost always seemed to allow more physical play than the conference season, at least in terms of the ACC. But maybe this is just a biased misconception I've had, based on Duke's general supposed preferred style. I do think this would benefit Duke, certainly, if true. If you remember which podcast you were listening to, please post, as I'd be interested in listening and it sounds interesting, anyway.

The more physical play in the NCAAT was certainly the case back in the day. I remember people often saying ACC teams were at a disadvantage against Big 10 and Big East teams because the ACC was "too soft". I do believe that there seems to be much more consistency across conferences these days from my untrained eye.

When I get to my Kindle, I'll find the podcast I heard.

cspan37421
03-11-2016, 07:19 PM
The tournament has almost always seemed to allow more physical play than the conference season, at least in terms of the ACC.

That has been my observation too. The prevailing ethos has been "let the players decide" - which unfortunately also means "let the players cheat." Refs really don't want to get noticed in the tournament.

Except maybe Ted Valentine.

BandAlum83
03-11-2016, 07:34 PM

It was an ESPNU podcast:

http://c.espnradio.com/s:J1X3L/audio/2685403/espnucb_2016-02-22-123603.64k.mp3?ad_params=zones%3DPreroll%2CPreroll 2%2CMidroll%2CMidroll2%2CMidroll3%2CMidroll4%2CMid roll5%2CMidroll6%2CPostroll%2CPostroll2%7Cstation_ id%3D648

-jk
03-11-2016, 07:46 PM
It's certainly true that during the regular season, the refs are independent contractors working for the conferences. In the NCAA, you must meet the NCAA's criteria to advance. Most refs want to advance.

However, there are a lot of competing criteria - I think the NCAA also wants refs who manage the egos (both on and off the bench), don't freeze in the spotlight, don't make horribly wrong calls, etc. Freedom of movement will only be a small part of the overall picture.

I miss flowy hoops!

-jk

weezie
03-11-2016, 08:08 PM
...I think the NCAA also wants refs who manage the egos (both on and off the bench), don't freeze in the spotlight, don't make horribly wrong calls, etc...

jk, you forgot to include the need for refs to "manage their OWN egos" :cool: