PDA

View Full Version : Plumlee Appreciation

johnb
03-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Marshall's Duke career is winding down. Maybe he'll play one more game, maybe 6. Obviously, he and his brothers have a meant a lot to us. And just as obviously, the broken nose scene is as good as it gets outside of a Stallone movie. But if you have thoughts about him, have at it. Here's how he has progressed, statistically. Just as he progressed every year in high and in college, it's quite striking that he became a vital college player when his high school numbers wouldn't have indicated he'd even be able to make a Duke team. Can't teach height, of course, but it's still impressive when you consider the high school stat sheets for our other players. Of course, his hs team won 4 straight state championships, so it's not like he didn't know success.

Freshman year: 2.1 ppg HS /0.1 ppg Duke
Sophomore year: 3.4 ppg HS/1.3 ppg Duke 3.1 rebounds per game HS/2.2 rpg Duke 1.3 blocks per game HS/0.6 bpg Duke
Junior year: 8.6 ppg HS/2.2 ppg Duke 8.0 rbg HS/2.4 rpg Duke 2.6 bpg HS/0.6 bpg Duke
Senior year: 11.5 ppg HS/8.2 ppg Duke 10.3 rbg HS/8.6 rpg Duke 2.5 bpg HS/1.5 bpg Duke

*hard to read... can't make the columns work out very well...

Henderson
03-11-2016, 12:39 PM
If we're toasting Marshall Plumlee, count me in. I'd argue that his contribution to Duke far exceeds what is captured in his stats.

kAzE
03-11-2016, 12:43 PM
All 3 Plumdogs were huge contributors and it'll be very sad to not have one on the team next year. At least we have 3 times the chance (maybe 4, with Maddie being a great athlete as well) of seeing a 2nd generation of talented Plumlees in ~20 years!

Thanks Marshall!!

53n206
03-11-2016, 03:29 PM
A great warrior for Duke, as were his brothers. We can only hope that he will have great success in his life. Be it military or professional basketball. And as someone previously stated perhaps the most important Plumee to Duke is his mother. Thank you Mam.

revmel53
03-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Marshall came to Duke with talent, but not as much as either of his brothers. He waited out his time, became a Second Lieutenant, played basketball, and did it all the right way. We will certainly miss him. His intelligence, courage, resolve and humility will ensure a great future in whatever endeavor he chooses. Here's to you Marshall!

Channing
03-11-2016, 03:35 PM
nothing to add but three cheers for each brother...

BandAlum83
03-11-2016, 03:43 PM
nothing to add but three cheers for each brother...

Here here! 3 cheers for each!

And while we're at it:

3*3=9

9f!!!
9f!!!
9f!!!
9f!!!
9f!!!
9f!!!
9f!!!
9f!!!
9f!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-11-2016, 03:47 PM
3 X 9F's to MP1http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif, MP2http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifand MP3!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

dukelifer
03-11-2016, 04:01 PM
Marshall came to Duke with talent, but not as much as either of his brothers. He waited out his time, became a Second Lieutenant, played basketball, and did it all the right way. We will certainly miss him. His intelligence, courage, resolve and humility will ensure a great future in whatever endeavor he chooses. Here's to you Marshall!

And sense of humor!

Indoor66
03-11-2016, 04:10 PM
I like and admire all three brothers. They are each a credit to themselves, their family and to Duke. We have been fortunate to enjoy them over the past nine years. To my knowledge, there is no other group of three brothers who can meet together and each wear their National Champion rings. What an accomplishment.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2016, 04:29 PM
Felt like Marshall overcame more to become a real contributer at Duke, and I love him all the more for it.

Many thanks, MP3, and I hope you have a few weeks of basketball remaining.

Rich
03-11-2016, 04:45 PM
Let's not forget that Mason was actually the first to be recruited and Miles came over as a result of the Stanford coaching change. And Marshall deserves credit for seeing all that was good with the Duke system and decided to follow his brothers' footsteps. Most younger brothers in that situation would have decided to pave their own path. The Plumlees will certainly go down in Duke lore and NCAA history as the only three brothers to have NCAA basketball championship rings (as far as I know). Kudos to Perky and Leslie for a job well done.

weezie
03-11-2016, 05:02 PM
Everybody above has articulated so many nice and true impressions, all well-deserved. I remember seeing high school senior Marshall for the first time when he visited his brothers in JPJ while we played the hoos. What a fine young man he has developed into from being one skinny, long-haired teenager.

Just so very proud of him and his family. We've been blessed to watch Marshall grow strong and proud.
Nothing but the best wishes for him as he begins the next phase of his life.

Love you Marshall!

OldPhiKap
03-11-2016, 07:13 PM
Hard to think of a guy who worked harder for us. I'd want him in my foxhole.

Great career Lt. Plumlee, get a bunch more on the way out!

cspan37421
03-11-2016, 07:24 PM
I'm sure every player cares deeply about winning. No one showed it through his effort and demeanor more than Marshall. He is embodiment of the fans' emotions on the court.

Love the guy and all the Plumlees. What a credit they each are to their family and to Duke. Many thanks for many years of tenacity in the post!

jimsumner
03-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Hard to think of a guy who worked harder for us. I'd want him in my foxhole.

Great career Lt. Plumlee, get a bunch more on the way out!

But you'd have to dig a really big foxhole.

84crazy
03-11-2016, 08:59 PM
I'll just ad how lucky I felt to be watching the State game seeing him not only play with a broken nose but go out and win it for us.

Furniture
03-11-2016, 09:05 PM
What a fantastic young man! I think he one of my favourite Duke players ever!!
I absolutely love any interview he does. Often very funny but also very intelligent and extremely well spoken.
On the court he is a warrior!
I look forward to watching him in the NBA next season!!

Pghdukie
03-11-2016, 09:31 PM
Least we not forget, his career at Duke is not over. Please don't talk about him and his career in the past tense.

ncexnyc
03-11-2016, 09:59 PM
The young men that stay the course will always have a special place in my heart.

We watch them grow and improve just as if they were one of our own children. They become part of a bigger family, the Duke family.

I wish Marshall the best and thank him for the time and special moments he gave us as a player.

Doria
03-11-2016, 10:00 PM
I echo what everyone else has said. He seems like a great kid all around. I wish him all the best, in whatever he chooses to pursue.

jv001
03-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Marshall came to Duke with the reputation of being the best low post player of the 3 brother Plumlees. He has shown that to be true if you consider how he plays the position. Mason was more effective at the 5 position( I know what K says about positions) but he did it in a different manner. I'm proud of how much Marshall has improved and his never give up attitude. I loved the way he threw that dang mask the other day. I'm hoping to see Marshall up to the Final Four and maybe two more games. God bless you young man, GoDuke!

PS: Don't ever misspell a word in the topic block. You can't change it.

budwom
03-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Marshall came to Duke with the reputation of being the best low post player of the 3 brother Plumlees. He has shown that to be true if you consider how he plays the position. Mason was more effective at the 5 position( I know what K says about positions) but he did it in a different manner. I'm proud of how much Marshall has improved and his never give up attitude. I loved the way he threw that dang mask the other day. I'm hoping to see Marshall up to the Final Four and maybe two more games. God bless you young man, GoDuke!

I love what Marshall has done, but he definitely did not come to Duke with the reputation as the best low post Plumlee. Not by a long shot.
Which makes his accomplishments even more impressive.

Edouble
03-12-2016, 10:21 AM
I love what Marshall has done, but he definitely did not come to Duke with the reputation as the best low post Plumlee. Not by a long shot.

Yeah, agree. I think jv001 meant that he came to Duke with the reputation of being the purest center of the three, as opposed to a 4/5 hybrid-type. IIRC, this was because Marshall did not have the mobility and athleticism of his brothers.

duke blue brewcrew
03-12-2016, 10:28 AM
It's been an amazing ride since MP1 first stepped on campus. Each Plumlee became a National Champion in the process, and engrained themselves in the hearts of Duke fans forever. Maybe none more so than MP3, who showed heart, perserverance, toughness, growth, and grit every step of the way during his Duke career. It's clear that MP3 is his own man, and not scared to take a different path from most. Watching MP3 blossom into a man while at Duke has been fun to see, and somehow during the process he may have become my favorite Plumlee of them all. Tip of the cap Lt.MP3, and thank you for all you did during your time at Duke, and for all you will be doing for our country in the future.I'll be cheering for your success no matter where you end up next.

yancem
03-12-2016, 10:50 AM
MP3 has had a wonderful and well deserved senior year. He has shown great heart and his contributions on the court have had a huge impact on how the season has gone. Without him things could have gone off the rails in a major way after Jefferson got hurt. But he rebounded like a Greek hero and found ways to provide some much needed post scoring. All of which reminds me of preseason discussions regarding the front court. I wonder how those who felt he could have a Zoubek like senior season feel now? I haven't broken down the numbers to compare but I would say that he has pretty matched the Beard in impact. It has been completely awesome watching MP3 play this season.

budwom
03-12-2016, 11:34 AM
yep, now we gotta pitch in and get him a nose guard that allows him to see the basket. The one he wore vs
ND looked like it came from Dollar General.

n8lbs
03-12-2016, 12:43 PM
yep, now we gotta pitch in and get him a nose guard that allows him to see the basket. The one he wore vs
ND looked like it came from Dollar General.

I think Marshall uses smell and hearing to locate the basket.

jv001
03-12-2016, 02:36 PM
Yeah, agree. I think jv001 meant that he came to Duke with the reputation of being the purest center of the three, as opposed to a 4/5 hybrid-type. IIRC, this was because Marshall did not have the mobility and athleticism of his brothers.

This is exactly what I meant. I just didn't state it well. Thanks for saying it better than I did. My wife was hurrying me out the door and I can't type that fast. :cool:GoDuke!

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-12-2016, 03:01 PM
I've said a couple things in other places already but would love to say them again.

MP3 is the guy every father would LOVE to see his daughter bring home. He's got it ALL! Strength, smarts, good looks, sensitivity, bravery and oh that sense of humor.

And as for that foxhole thing???? I'd wish for him in any foxhole any loved one of mine is ever in.

Sooner or later most everybody you admire or look toward as a hero will let you down somehow. But, I can't believe he EVER will.

Thanks Big Guy!
Love, Ima

PS And my hat's off to those Plumlee parents. If we could only bottle their talent for raising kids!!! All five of theirs are blue ribbon worthy!

jv001
03-12-2016, 03:04 PM
I've said a couple things in other places already but would love to say them again.

MP3 is the guy every father would LOVE to see his daughter bring home. He's got it ALL! Strength, smarts, good looks, sensitivity, bravery and oh that sense of humor.

And as for that foxhole thing???? I'd wish for him in any foxhole any loved one of mine is ever in.

Sooner or later most everybody you admire or look toward as a hero will let you down somehow. But, I can't believe he EVER will.

Thanks Big Guy!
Love, Ima

PS And my hat's off to those Plumlee parents. If we could only bottle their talent for raising kids!!! All five of theirs are blue ribbon worthy!

I can't give you anymore sporks for a while but someone can for me, I'm sure. Great post! GoDuke!

vick
03-12-2016, 03:10 PM
If we're toasting Marshall Plumlee, count me in. I'd argue that his contribution to Duke far exceeds what is captured in his stats.

I agree, but his stats this year were pretty darn good, so let's celebrate those as well! Here are what I have as the top ORTGs of ACC players in conference play (minimum 10 MPG) in the last 20 years:

1. Shane Battier ('99) - 148.0
2. Shane Battier ('00) - 138.3
3. Tyler Thornton ('14) - 137.8
4. Drew Nicholas ('02) - 136.4
5. Marshall Plumlee ('16) - 135.2

Really impressive jump in efficiency from last year, and a significant part of why we had one of the two best offenses in the conference this year.

Henderson
03-12-2016, 07:24 PM

I know exactly what you mean and I agree. But without starting another discussion about what counts as "athleticism", I'd point out that Marshall committed himself to getting the most out of his body that he could. He was a monster of conditioning and strength training. And he graduated. Over his career at Duke, he's become "strong" in every sense of that word.

dukelifer
03-13-2016, 08:40 AM
I know exactly what you mean and I agree. But without starting another discussion about what counts as "athleticism", I'd point out that Marshall committed himself to getting the most out of his body that he could. He was a monster of conditioning and strength training. And he graduated. Over his career at Duke, he's become "strong" in every sense of that word.

Well to be fair - he needed to get strong just to compete for food at the Thanksgiving Day table.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2016, 12:17 PM

Yes, this absolutely. I think I saw MP3's signing with Duke as more of a "legacy" move by Duke than a talented roster pick up. I assumed based on reports that his ceiling was "tough practice grinder with 5 mpg and a crowd favorite."

So glad to be wrong. His determination and off-season work have allowed the Duke staff (who clearly can't develop big men) to sculpt him into an integral part of this team's talent and character. I wish they would do as many ESPN pieces on MP3's work, military service, and attitude as they do on Grayson.

THANK YOU MP3! Whatever you do post-Duke, thousands of people will be rooting for you. Your work ethic is inspiring and your positivity is something we all should aspire to.

Let's go play six more games!

Son of Jarhead
03-25-2016, 12:24 AM
Thank you, Marshall! Your effort, character, hunger, intensity, commitment, and loyalty may be matched but they will never be beaten. Best wishes always!

(Now that his last game in a Duke uniform is over, I just had to bring this thread back to the top.)

Furniture
03-25-2016, 12:26 AM
We are going to see him again in the NBA!
Thanks for everything Marshall. Really going to miss you!!

NashvilleDevil
03-25-2016, 12:27 AM
Thank you Marshall, national champion, Duke graduate, and Duke Blue Planet legend. Also thank you to the Plumlee family for the last 6 years

Doria
03-25-2016, 12:27 AM
Yep, wish it could've lasted a little longer, but I'll always be grateful for all you gave us (that goes for "this" incarnation of our team, as well). I've had a great time watching all the guys this year, and Marshall was a big part of that. Best wishes for all future endeavors.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-25-2016, 12:36 AM
MP3 is one of my top warriors in Duke history. I put him with Nate James.

There is no higher praise.

Thank you for your service at Duke and beyond.

toughbuff1
03-25-2016, 12:39 AM
Marshall, thank you for everything you've given Duke. You left it all out in the floor every time out, and it's been a pleasure to watch your growth over the course of your career. You were an integral part of our championship last season, and you emerged as a real leader this one.
It was fun to listen to your sense of humor in all of those videos, and that three pointer you hit against Presbyterian will be forever etched in my memory. Not just for the shot, but for the sheer joy it brought all of your teammates. Best of luck in the future, I know that if you attack whatever is in store for you with the same gusto you did as a Blue Devil, you are sure to succeed.

cruxer
03-25-2016, 12:41 AM
Marshall has been fantastic to watch. I love his passion and we know he'll do great things, whether that's active duty or in the NBA!

And with that the Plumlee era is over! 2 nattys, 2 sweet 16s and 2 elite 8s. Not a bad haul....

-c

Dev11
03-25-2016, 12:46 AM
Marshall Plumlee anchored this team in a way I don't many people expected heading into the season. Best of luck to him.

Since this is "Plumlee Appreciation," thanks to Perky and Leslie for giving Duke nearly 21 feet of ferocious dunking prowess. We will never see their like again.

moonpie23
03-25-2016, 12:57 AM
thank you, marshall......for all you've given....

DukeTrinity11
03-25-2016, 01:08 AM
Thank you Marshall, you"ll be missed!! Thank you for choosing to serve our country!

Listen to Quants
03-25-2016, 01:09 AM
And, he delivered one of the iconic moments of Duke competitive history, tossing away the face mask, fearless.

opossum
03-25-2016, 01:10 AM
We could have an entire roster of Plumlee grandkids come through Duke sometime in the 2040s. We might have to change the names on the back of the jerseys to first names (Mark P, Miles P Jr., Melvin P, Mason P Jr., and Marshall P Jr. could be the starting lineup, with a few more younger M. Plumlees on the bench). I hope I live to see a second Plumlee Era of Duke basketball. I loved the first one!

One of the current generation of Plumlees could even be head coach by then.

Many thanks from this fan to a great family. I will miss the Plumlee spirit and guts on the court. And congratulations to Marshall on a great year!

MartyMcJames
03-25-2016, 02:14 AM
I like and admire all three brothers. They are each a credit to themselves, their family and to Duke. We have been fortunate to enjoy them over the past nine years. To my knowledge, there is no other group of three brothers who can meet together and each wear their National Champion rings. What an accomplishment.

Miles came as an afterthought to Mason, played his way into the NBA. Mason had the highest ceiling. Marshall came on and made the best improvement during his career. Thank you Leslie & Perky Plumlee.

Coballs
03-25-2016, 02:22 AM
Marshall clearly loved playing for Duke, worked his tail off, was tough as nails and became a tremendous leader. He is an absolute credit to the team and the University.

gep
03-25-2016, 03:36 AM
Thank you Marshall, you"ll be missed!! Thank you for choosing to serve our country!

THIS... As much as I respect Marshall for his efforts in Duke basketball, his commitment to serving his country... our country... is exemplary.

And, he delivered one of the iconic moments of Duke competitive history, tossing away the face mask, fearless.

Marshall is one "bad-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this."...:cool:

We could have an entire roster of Plumlee grandkids come through Duke sometime in the 2040s. We might have to change the names on the back of the jerseys to first names (Mark P, Miles P Jr., Melvin P, Mason P Jr., and Marshall P Jr. could be the starting lineup, with a few more younger M. Plumlees on the bench). I hope I live to see a second Plumlee Era of Duke basketball. I loved the first one!

One of the current generation of Plumlees could even be head coach by then.

Many thanks from this fan to a great family. I will miss the Plumlee spirit and guts on the court. And congratulations to Marshall on a great year!

THIS... too. Must be a GREAT family to raise such GREAT kids. (sorry I don't know much about their sister).

vfefrenzy
03-25-2016, 07:01 AM
I for one will miss the greatest 3-pt shooter in Duke history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv7A3r0a7Ns

Saratoga2
03-25-2016, 07:06 AM
At the beginning of the year, I viewed Marshall as a journeyman player with no real moves around the basket other than the dunk and only fair hands for a big man. I didn't expect a lot and as he played next to Amile I didn't see a lot of development. Then in the first half of the Kentucky game he dominated their front line and I realized he could be a much greater contributor if he played with fire. He relapsed a little after that, especially after Amile was injured, and appeared to think that his importance on the floor was such that he had to avoid fouls at any cost. The result is that he played softly. I think the coaches put a bee in his bonnet and said when on the floor you have to play aggressively, just avoid the silly fouls. As we moved into the ACC schedule you could see a different Marshall out there with aggressive play on most nights and the results became impressive and he became our best front court man by far with rebounding, rim protection and scoring that he had seldom shown before.

Congratulations to Marshall for his many years in the program and for making such a significant leap in his performance in his final year. The team made the sweet 16 due in part to his greatly improved play. I will miss seeing him in the future. Good luck to him in his service career and may he stay safe and have a great future going forward.

BeachBlueDevil
03-25-2016, 07:58 AM
Marshall was never the best player on court while at Duke. He took his bumps and sat on the pine a fair bit and early in his career battled foot issues. All things that could discourage someone. Plumlee took it all in stride and became a good player and great leader while at Duke. I'm sad that his time is over, but his efforts were much appreciated and his time at Duke could be a lesson to anyone to never quit, give it your all and the results in the end will make it all worth it.

OldPhiKap
03-25-2016, 08:45 AM
Hard to think of a kid who gave more effort for Duke. Nice career, Marshall. Thanks, and deepest appreciation. -- OPK

DukeDevilDeb
03-25-2016, 10:13 AM
... was knowing I'd never see Marshall in a Duke uniform again! Big guy, you were SO important to us this year and lived up to the great Plumlee tradition. Thank you for an amazing stay at Duke!

cspan37421
03-25-2016, 10:42 AM
I'm going to be going through it next season! Maybe Maddie could transfer in?

On a more serious note, I hope Marshall is able to play pro somewhere for awhile. One might look at his defense and say it's lacking, but I suspect that he was operating under restrictions much of the time ... DO NOT FOUL OUT (much like Jahlil last year, or even more so, we couldn't afford to lose him to foul trouble). Not that he's got an offensive repertoire anything like his brothers - not yet anyway - but I suspect he's capable of anything he sets his mind to doing, and new circumstances may enable him to play with less defensive reserve, and showcase other facets of his offensive game. The Euro game may suit him well - he is quite deadly from three-point land, you know. ;)

weezie
03-25-2016, 10:51 AM
Hard to think of a kid who gave more effort for Duke...

Seconded and approved. Some, most, of these guys really do get into your heart, don't they?

Reddevil
03-25-2016, 10:54 AM
I'm gonna miss this guy! He reminds me of why I became a college BB fan in the first place. Watching puppies become pack leaders has always been a big part of the draw for me. Marshall did exactly that. All the best to him. He will be an asset wherever he goes of course.

mgtr
03-25-2016, 11:12 AM
If some one should ask, "What does it mean to become a man?" just point to Marshall Plumlee.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-25-2016, 11:44 AM
I'm going to be going through it next season! Maybe Maddie could transfer in?

On a more serious note, I hope Marshall is able to play pro somewhere for awhile. One might look at his defense and say it's lacking, but I suspect that he was operating under restrictions much of the time ... DO NOT FOUL OUT (much like Jahlil last year, or even more so, we couldn't afford to lose him to foul trouble). Not that he's got an offensive repertoire anything like his brothers - not yet anyway - but I suspect he's capable of anything he sets his mind to doing, and new circumstances may enable him to play with less defensive reserve, and showcase other facets of his offensive game. The Euro game may suit him well - he is quite deadly from three-point land, you know. ;)

This is an excellent point. He was the extent of our interior game. I hadn't considered that the coaches likely held him back to a large degree to keep him on the floor.

I hate for him that Jefferson ended up missing so much of the season - I think it would have helped him blossom even more with a true 4 standing next to him under the basket.

grossbus
03-25-2016, 11:54 AM
Marshall was great this year. Thanks for all 5 years!!

superdave
03-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Marshall accepted a limited role for four years with a great attitude. He stepped up when called upon.

This season, he got his chance and made the most of it. I would even say he over-performed his talent level. He won several games for us this season with big plays and hustle. What a great senior year for him. I hope he sticks in the league a little while and makes General in his military career!

diablesseblu
03-25-2016, 12:59 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/marshall-plumlee-and-the-heartbreak-of-march/15599912/

grossbus
03-25-2016, 04:39 PM
great article. thanks for posting.

bjornolf
03-25-2016, 04:53 PM
Thanks for everything you did in your time here, Marshall. Best wishes and prayers for you in your future endeavors in the US Army. Thanks for your service to our great nation! We'll be pulling for you.

Delmer
03-28-2016, 02:10 PM
Great Year Marshall- Best of luck to you !!

Newton_14
03-29-2016, 11:25 AM
Marshall has been fantastic to watch. I love his passion and we know he'll do great things, whether that's active duty or in the NBA!

And with that the Plumlee era is over! 2 nattys, 2 sweet 16s and 2 elite 8s. Not a bad haul...

-c

?????
6 Sweet 16's (09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16)
3 Elite 8's (10, 13, 15)
2 Final Fours (10, 15)
2 National Titles (10, 15)

COYS
03-29-2016, 11:46 AM
?????
6 Sweet 16's (09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16)
3 Elite 8's (10, 13, 15)
2 Final Fours (10, 15)
2 National Titles (10, 15)

Yeah, that's pretty dang good. Also, Mason set the record for most dunks in Duke history, IIRC. Given that Miles and Marshall had quite a few dunks, too, the Plumlees are basically guaranteed to go down on history as the guys who dunked on Duke's opponents more than anyone else.

In fact, for fun I googled highlight reels for all three brothers while they were at Duke. I'd almost forgotten how monstrous some of their throw-downs were. It's definitely a fun stroll down memory lane.