PDA

View Full Version : Al Featherston's article Front Page

weezie
03-11-2016, 08:21 AM
Anyone who is able to read the first third of Al's article today, and not have their eyes tear up, most likely is someone who shouldn't be posting here...

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2016/3/11/11200536/embracing-grayson-allen

Faison1
03-11-2016, 08:40 AM
Anyone who is able to read the first third of Al's article today, and not have their eyes tear up, most likely is someone who shouldn't be posting here...

I don't know if my eyes teared up, but it was a great article all the same. Al's stuff is always a must read. Adding him and Jim to the lineup is huge for all of us.

When reading Al's articles, I am always blown away that members of the media (especially UNC media) can be so biased. Isn't it their job to be impartial?

As I've grown older, I've become more mature in my reactions to the Duke/UNC rivalry, and yet, I don't get the same feeling from UNC fans. Why is that? Is there something in the groundwater that makes UNC fans terminally teenaged?

Newton_14
03-11-2016, 08:59 AM
I don't know if my eyes teared up, but it was a great article all the same. Al's stuff is always a must read. Adding him and Jim to the lineup is huge for all of us.

When reading Al's articles, I am always blown away that members of the media (especially UNC media) can be so biased. Isn't it their job to be impartial?

As I've grown older, I've become more mature in my reactions to the Duke/UNC rivalry, and yet, I don't get the same feeling from UNC fans. Why is that? Is there something in the groundwater that makes UNC fans terminally teenaged?

Evidently that answer is yes. We celebrate ACC Day each day of the tournament where I work and we wear our team gear. Today I have on my Grant Hill black jersey. I stop at a convenient store on the way in for a bottle of water. As I am walking out after paying, some dumb dufus unc cheat fan that I have never seen before in my life... hollers at me from 10 feet away... "Hey why are they saying on the news that Duke is tired huh huh huh"

I come dangerously close to telling him to lay off the crack pipe, but instead just rolled my eyes and walked out.....

Unreal... but that's how they roll.... I hope ND runs them out of the gym today!

elvis14
03-11-2016, 09:20 AM

Thanks weezie for posting that link. I had to share on Facebook with a caption about how Coach K can show us how to be the best even when you lose. Grayson's a great kid and ESPN should be ashamed for vilifying him this season.

NashvilleDevil
03-11-2016, 09:29 AM
Thanks weezie for posting that link. I had to share on Facebook with a caption about how Coach K can show us how to be the best even when you lose. Grayson's a great kid and ESPN should be ashamed for vilifying him this season.

They should be but they won't because all they care about is clicks. I am also a little disappointed in Jay Williams not sticking up for a fellow player and saying enough is enough with vilifying him. I think Bilas has kind of done that but it has been crickets from Williams.

Faison1
03-11-2016, 09:39 AM
They should be but they won't because all they care about is clicks. I am also a little disappointed in Jay Williams not sticking up for a fellow player and saying enough is enough with vilifying him. I think Bilas has kind of done that but it has been crickets from Williams.

It's funny how Bilas tripped all over himself to defend Harrison Barnes during his freshman year, but does relatively little for one of his own. I guess I still like Jay, but man, his love for UNC is inexplicable!! I just don't get it....did he want to go there?

Henderson
03-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Good link. Thanks.

I thought it was an extraordinary signal also that Coach K brought Grayson Allen to his post-game press conference. No one dared ask stupid questions about or of Grayson, who answered those posed of him with articulate dignity. It was as though K was saying, "This is my guy; mess with him, you're schisting on me."

That embrace by K when GA fouled out reminded me of the Arizona-Duke game at the Meadowlands in February of 1989. Late in the game, freshman Christian Laettner went to the line for a crucial 1-and-1. The game was on the line, and the pressure was on Laettner. He missed the front end, Arizona got the rebound, and Arizona won by 2.

When the buzzer sounded, Coach K immediately rushed to Laettner and put his arms around him, talking to him. Even in the immediate aftermath of a nationally-televised loss in a battle of titans (Sean Elliot starred for AZ at the time), K was looking ahead and protecting his player from overthinking the loss. Watching on TV, I was impressed.

Duke went to the Final Four that year.

daveduke76
03-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Thanks weezie for posting that link. I had to share on Facebook with a caption about how Coach K can show us how to be the best even when you lose. Grayson's a great kid and ESPN should be ashamed for vilifying him this season. Gotta love Coach K, very, very impressed with him and how he is handling this. I guess there is no re-course, seems the refs are reading the ESPN drivel

devildeac
03-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Good link. Thanks.

I thought it was an extraordinary signal also that Coach K brought Grayson Allen to his post-game press conference. No one dared ask stupid questions about or of Grayson, who answered those posed of him with articulate dignity. It was as though K was saying, "This is my guy; mess with him, you're schisting on me."

That embrace by K when GA fouled out reminded me of the Arizona-Duke game at the Meadowlands in February of 1989. Late in the game, freshman Christian Laettner went to the line for a crucial 1-and-1. The game was on the line, and the pressure was on Laettner. He missed the front end, Arizona got the rebound, and Arizona won by 2.

When the buzzer sounded, Coach K immediately rushed to Laettner and put his arms around him, talking to him. Even in the immediate aftermath of a nationally-televised loss in a battle of titans (Sean Elliot starred for AZ at the time), K was looking ahead and protecting his player from overthinking the loss. Watching on TV, I was impressed.

And, Laettner (may have) said something to the order of "won't happen again." And we all know how that turned out...

OZZIE4DUKE
03-11-2016, 11:20 AM

Former Duke Law grad former President Richard Nixon was at that game and got into the locker room afterwards. He too consoled Laettner and told him "I'm sure you'll make them next time." He was never more right in his life! :cool:

Duke76
03-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Former Duke Law grad former President Richard Nixon was at that game and got into the locker room afterwards. He too consoled Laettner and told him "I'm sure you'll make them next time." He was never more right in his life! :cool:

Man oh man I hope he stays!

TNTDevil
03-11-2016, 12:10 PM
It's funny how Bilas tripped all over himself to defend Harrison Barnes during his freshman year, but does relatively little for one of his own. I guess I still like Jay, but man, his love for UNC is inexplicable!! I just don't get it...did he want to go there?If I'm not mistaken, it was down to Duke and UNC as Williams' final choices.

JTH
03-11-2016, 12:42 PM

I have always believed that the juvenile mentality of the average unc fan is largely attributed to the behavior of the Dean. He was legendary for brattish whining and belittling of everyone and everything not carolina. If you are old enough to remember listening to his comments, especially on his weekly TV programs, you will understand what I am talking about. Of course, there have been references to this in other posts as well. Dean had many fine qualities but this was a major flaw that is still ingrained in their DNA.

You could reasonably argue that it may have actually began with Frank McGuire. He certainly nourished a "everybody is against us" mentality. But Dean really made the kool-aid that the sheep keep on drinking.

weezie
03-11-2016, 02:04 PM
...Today I have on my Grant Hill black jersey. I stop at a convenient store on the way in for a bottle of water. As I am walking out after paying, some dumb dufus unc cheat fan that I have never seen before in my life... hollers at me from 10 feet away... "Hey why are they saying on the news that Duke is tired huh huh huh"...

Good show! I sported the 2010 National Champions shirt today and got harassed on main street in our little 'burg. I love the deep moronic streak in the unwashed plebians.

Gotta love Coach K...

Always.

I have always believed that the juvenile mentality of the average unc fan is largely attributed to the behavior of the Dean...

Yea, well there's that and then see above for the moronic streak...and the lack of washing, etc. Cud-chewing hillbillies.

ingrjc1
03-11-2016, 02:04 PM
It's funny how Bilas tripped all over himself to defend Harrison Barnes during his freshman year, but does relatively little for one of his own. I guess I still like Jay, but man, his love for UNC is inexplicable!! I just don't get it...did he want to go there?

I loved watching Jay as a Duke player and really wished I could have seen a long NBA career. I hate what happened to him and I give him credit for picking himself up. That said, I am not a fan of his reporting or commentary. I think he tries to hard to be impartial. I don't think that he adds that much value to the conversations on Game Day. I really did not like his stance on GA. I may read his book, because again, I give him a ton of credit for bouncing back from a personal tragedy. I just wish he was better on camera, but he is a bit out of place IMO.

Duke79UNLV77
03-11-2016, 02:38 PM
I loved watching Jay as a Duke player and really wished I could have seen a long NBA career. I hate what happened to him and I give him credit for picking himself up. That said, I am not a fan of his reporting or commentary. I think he tries to hard to be impartial. I don't think that he adds that much value to the conversations on Game Day. I really did not like his stance on GA. I may read his book, because again, I give him a ton of credit for bouncing back from a personal tragedy. I just wish he was better on camera, but he is a bit out of place IMO.

I actually think Williams is excellent at his job now, after a slow start. He brings a nice balance of enthusiasm and knowledge and has built a rapport with Greenberg, after they initially seemed to lack chemistry. As for Grayson, I did see Williams question the phenomenon with the game day crew. He recalled how he had acted out as a player against BC after taking shots in the mouth and wrote a letter of apology afterwards, but never was the subject of national hate like the white Duke players are.

Faison1
03-11-2016, 09:04 PM
If I'm not mistaken, it was down to Duke and UNC as Williams' final choices.

I meant Jay Bilas...not Jason Williams.

I still love Jason Williams. It's Jay Bilas I have a slight problem with.

Edouble
03-12-2016, 01:23 AM
If I'm not mistaken, it was down to Duke and UNC as Williams' final choices.

I believe that is mistaken. I heard it that Jason Williams was set to go to Rutgers and be a hometown hero until his mother put him in the car and drove him crying, down to Durham (not joking) to visit Duke. I have also heard that he was not offered by UNC because Bill Guthridge had already signed Adam Boone. Can't take two players at the same position unless they are two years apart: The Carolina Way.

I meant Jay Bilas...not Jason Williams.

I still love Jason Williams. It's Jay Bilas I have a slight problem with.

FWIW, I knew you were referring to Bilas both times in your post.

Steven43
03-12-2016, 10:23 AM

I gave up a long time ago on expecting much of anything from Jason Williams. Of all the Duke basketball players of note during the past 30 years he has been the most disappointing in his post-Duke life.

DukeDevilDeb
03-12-2016, 10:48 AM
I gave up a long time ago on expecting much of anything from Jason Williams. Of all the Duke basketball players of note during the past 30 years he has been the most disappointing in his post-Duke life.

I had Jason and Duhon in class at the same time. I got to know both of them pretty well... especially Duhon whose wedding I attended. It breaks my heart to see what has happened to him.

But I knew from Jason that UNC had been MUCH higher than Duke on his play list. He wanted to be a Tar Heel but didn't get the same type of love from them that he did from K. His mama was thrilled that he was going to play at Duke--meant he would get an education along with playing for the best coach ever!

As time went on, Jason toed the party line. He really never bashed the Carolina program or team; he was always Duke positive. What makes me most proud of him is that he graduated in three years. Do you know what that took on his part? It was remarkable.

He won a National Championship (I'll never forget Duhon handing him the ball at the very end. Chris told me later that Jason had always dreamed of throwing the ball up at the end of a winning NC, and Chris wanted to make that dream come true) AND he graduated from Duke AND he went high in the draft to a team that had a great history and could have risen to greatness (or at least goodness) again.

Then he got on that damn motorcycle. As it would any of us, the nearly fatal accident changed him significantly. I haven't read his book, and I really don't want to. But Jason the Devil wasn't wearing the Duke blue that go him to the NBA and to the ranks of great college players. Why? That I don't know. Bilas always seems to bend over backwards to prevent the perception that he is Duke biased. But Jason seems to revert to really bad judgement at times. The sign about not starting Meeks... really? Inappropriate and unprofessional.

I suspect that Jason is still, many years later, healing from the accident that rocked his world and changed his life. He could do that and still be a supportive Duke star but seems to choose not to. But we may not be seeing the 'real' Jason Williams now. I keep hoping that wonderful kid will shine through.

And, on a final note, I wish he would go back to being Jason. Never liked "Jay" as his NBA name. Go Devils!