PDA

View Full Version : Nose watch

rthomas
03-10-2016, 09:08 AM
The nose looked ugly. Any word on whether Plumlee will play today or in the near future?

NYBri
03-10-2016, 09:09 AM
The nose looked ugly. Any word on whether Plume will play today or in the near future?

I have no information, but I would bet that he will be on the court today.

OldPhiKap
03-10-2016, 09:10 AM
I thought this would be a thread on Dean Smith.

tbyers11
03-10-2016, 09:13 AM
The nose looked ugly. Any word on whether Plumlee will play today or in the near future?

According to this tweet (https://twitter.com/RCorySmith/status/707701670814289921), a mask has been ordered.

That makes me believe that MP3 will be playing today with a mask

OldPhiKap
03-10-2016, 09:16 AM
According to this tweet (https://twitter.com/RCorySmith/status/707701670814289921), a mask has been ordered.

That makes me believe that MP3 will be playing today with a mask

"Jason Plumlee"

duke blue brewcrew
03-10-2016, 09:17 AM

BAHAHAHAHAHA! Where is the emoji that's crying hysterically from laughter?! In all seriousness, IMHO there's no way Lt. MP3 misses today's game. My guess is, he'll be playing in a protective mask of some kind. Who know's what impact that'll have on him, but after watching him come back in yesterday and make play after play WITH the broken nose and no mask, there's no way he doesn't play today.

***My opinion plus $3 will get you a cup of coffee most places in the US.

Doria
03-10-2016, 09:18 AM
Certainly in the post-game presser, Coach K seemed to take it granted that he'd play (or at least, I took his comments that way).

MCFinARL
03-10-2016, 09:36 AM
BAHAHAHAHAHA! Where is the emoji that's crying hysterically from laughter?! In all seriousness, IMHO there's no way Lt. MP3 misses today's game. My guess is, he'll be playing in a protective mask of some kind. Who know's what impact that'll have on him, but after watching him come back in yesterday and make play after play WITH the broken nose and no mask, there's no way he doesn't play today.

***My opinion plus $3 will get you a cup of coffee most places in the US.

My opinion is no more expert than yours, but I agree completely. This is Marshall Plumlee we are talking about, in the last ACC tournament of his career, and the one in which is role is most important to the team. He will be on the court playing unless a squad of doctors and coaches forcibly holds him back.

Reddevil
03-10-2016, 09:47 AM

I know that you know that we live in a glass house with this right?

As for Marshall, it's only a flesh wound (you know what I mean here too)!:cool:

devildeac
03-10-2016, 09:58 AM

In K's post-game presser, he made at least two references to his own proboscis saying (paraphrased) he was an expert on noses, especially large ones. Funny stuff.

devildeac
03-10-2016, 10:00 AM
If we win by a point or two today and MP has a good game, will the headline be "Duke Edges ND by a Nose." :rolleyes:

Or will there be another distasteful espn reference to another hated white Duke player? :mad:

Rich
03-10-2016, 10:04 AM
Certainly in the post-game presser, Coach K seemed to take it granted that he'd play (or at least, I took his comments that way).

He also mentioned that he wasn't sure if Plumlee would need a mask, but looked at Grayson and Brandon, chuckled, and said that Plumlee would probably want to wear a mask. I don't really get the joke, but he clearly was having fun with it.

weezie
03-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Gonna be one heck of a shiner with all that blood pooling under the eye!

Merlindevildog91
03-10-2016, 10:05 AM
If we win by a point or two today and MP has a good game, will the headline be "Duke Edges ND by a Nose." :rolleyes:

Or will there be another distasteful espn reference to another hated white Duke player? :mad:

"Plumlee, Duke look down their noses at Irish after victory"?

OldPhiKap
03-10-2016, 10:06 AM
I hope his mask has the little bars over the mouth like Silence of the Lambs.

mgtr
03-10-2016, 10:24 AM

Just out of curiosity, has there ever been a hated Duke player who was not white?

Jeffrey
03-10-2016, 10:26 AM
MP3 is The Man! Going back in the paint yesterday, with a broken nose, is not something most would have done!

When I was 15, I got in a fight with a much larger 17 year old, who took my Coke. The fight was broken up and he wanted to finish it. I never told anyone, but his class ring broke my nose. His 6 inch height and 50 pound weight advantage did not matter to me, at all. But, just touching my nose really hurt and I totally wimped out. Watching MP3 play yesterday, in the paint, without protection, was extremely impressive. He did not modify his play, at all. IMO, we just saw Bobby Hurley level toughness.

Jeffrey
03-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Just out of curiosity, has there ever been a hated Duke player who was not white?

Yes, but they were not the best player on their team.

CDu
03-10-2016, 10:29 AM
I can't imagine that he won't play, but I can't imagine he'll feel good out there. A lot of toughness from him.

Sir Stealth
03-10-2016, 10:29 AM
He also mentioned that he wasn't sure if Plumlee would need a mask, but looked at Grayson and Brandon, chuckled, and said that Plumlee would probably want to wear a mask. I don't really get the joke, but he clearly was having fun with it.

I think it may have been a reference to Marshall being open about his fondness for his own appearance.

dukelifer
03-10-2016, 10:38 AM

Overheard on the bench

Coach K: Need to take you out, worthy Marshall?
Plumlee: 'Tis but a scratch!
Coach K: A scratch? Your nose is almost broken off!
Plumlee: No, it isn't.
Coach K: What's that, then?
Plumlee: [after a pause] I've had worse.
Coach K: You liar!
Plumlee: Come on, put me back in!

The rest is Duke history.

Henderson
03-10-2016, 10:41 AM

Oh, man, you just won the internet. If you get a prize, consider paying for getting the coffee out of my keyboard.

I was thinking the same thing. It wasn't just the nose (which undoubtedly bled internally), but the nasty gash under his eye. He's going to look like one mean dude.

devildeac
03-10-2016, 10:55 AM

Daniel T. Ewing?

Shane Floppier?

Maybe not hated like GA but perhaps lots of scorn?

duke blue brewcrew
03-10-2016, 10:59 AM
Daniel T. Ewing?

Shane Floppier?

Maybe not hated like GA but perhaps lots of scorn?

Does the post flying elbow Gerald Henderson get added to that list?

devildeac
03-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Does the post flying elbow Gerald Henderson get added to that list?

Another good nominee.

Maybe add Dahntay "push-up" Jones?

OldPhiKap
03-10-2016, 11:08 AM
The folks in Maryland don't like Jason Williams.

Jeffrey
03-10-2016, 11:09 AM

Do they like anyone in a Duke uniform? I'm not sure they're aiming the batteries and bottles at any particular player or parent.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-10-2016, 11:13 AM

I'd love to see fans dislike Grayson for the same reasons they disliked Jason Williams.

MP3 will not be deterred in his final ACC Tournament. He could lose an arm and would still be on the floor swatting shots with the other today.

JPtheGame
03-10-2016, 11:19 AM

"Cut me, mick."

MP3 is moving into Nolan smith territory in regards to beloved Duke players.
Every sentence spent on encouraging hate towards Grayson is a wasted opportunity to bring attention to a player like Marshall that everyone should love.

devildeac
03-10-2016, 11:20 AM

Another good one. After all, he did taunt a BC thug, err, player with a couple ball/pass fakes who was trying to make a steal with less than 10 seconds to go in the game and Duke up double digits, IIRC.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-10-2016, 11:21 AM
"Cut me, mick."

MP3 is moving into Nolan smith territory in regards to beloved Duke players.
Every sentence spent on encouraging hate towards Grayson is a wasted opportunity to bring attention to a player like Marshall that everyone should love.

MP3 is everything I like about college basketball these days. Can't say enough about his work ethic and how he has persevered through adversity over the years.

JNort
03-10-2016, 12:03 PM

Quinn Cook

Pre Maryland Rasheed Sulaiman

Austin Rivers

Seth Curry

Henderson
03-10-2016, 12:06 PM

Yeah but they don't like strangers' automobiles, public statuary, or the neighbors' bushes either. Consider the source.

Jeffrey
03-10-2016, 12:14 PM
Yeah but they don't like strangers' automobiles, public statuary, or the neighbors' bushes either.

I disagree. I've seen them trying to drive strangers' automobiles, almost making love to public statuary, and sleeping in their neighbors' bushes.

BandAlum83
03-10-2016, 12:47 PM
My opinion is no more expert than yours, but I agree completely. This is Marshall Plumlee we are talking about, in the last ACC tournament of his career, and the one in which is role is most important to the team. He will be on the court playing unless a squad of doctors and coaches forcibly holds him back.

The thought of anyone being able or even attempting to forcibly hold that man back is laughable!

Tom B.
03-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Marshall wasn't the only Plumlee whose face took a beating from another Dukie yesterday. In last night's game between the Miami Heat and the Milwaukee Bucks, Justise Winslow caught Miles Plumlee in the face with an elbow on a rebound. Doesn't sound like Miles' nose was broken, though.

Plumlee finished with a season-high 18 points in 24 minutes and helped the Bucks in key situations in the fourth quarter.

He took an elbow to the face from Heat forward Justise Winslow, resulting in a flagrant-1 foul on Winslow and a four-point play for the Bucks. Winslow grabbed a defensive rebound but caught Plumlee in the face, and the Bucks player made both free throws.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/bucks-vs-heat-b99684438z1-371588591.html

devildeac
03-10-2016, 01:31 PM
Hope Jeter will be able to sniff a few quality minutes of PT today, too.

Reilly
03-10-2016, 01:38 PM

Snouts so important how many minutes he plays, to my mind, but how well.

dukelifer
03-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Marshall wasn't the only Plumlee whose face took a beating from another Dukie yesterday. In last night's game between the Miami Heat and the Milwaukee Bucks, Justise Winslow caught Miles Plumlee in the face with an elbow on a rebound. Doesn't sound like Miles' nose was broken, though.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/bucks-vs-heat-b99684438z1-371588591.html

What is it with current/former Duke players elbowing other current/former Duke players. Two Plumlees in one night with elbows to the nose? Odds on that have to be astronomical.

OldPhiKap
03-10-2016, 01:48 PM
What is it with current/former Duke players elbowing other current/former Duke players. Two Plumlees in one night with elbows to the nose? Odds on that have to be astronomical.

I dunno. There ARE a lot of Plumlees . . . .

(wish there was one more brother though!)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-10-2016, 01:50 PM

Jeter has shown a little promise the last few games and certainly played some meaningful minutes yesterday. Would love to see him continue that. I'd wager most fans here are more optimistic about Duke's interior next season with his development and the return of AJ.

BD80
03-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Nose watch?

Well, for a few moments, Marshall was able to easily watch his nose, but only with his right eye; the nose had completely vacated the field of vision of his left eye.

With the swelling, he'll probably be watching around his nose for a few days.

Doria
03-10-2016, 05:49 PM
I have never broken my nose, so does anyone know what the time frame for recovery on it is?

flyingdutchdevil
03-10-2016, 05:49 PM
I have never broken my nose, so does anyone know what the time frame for recovery on it is?

It'll take more than a week, I can guarantee that.

Doria
03-10-2016, 05:50 PM
It'll take more than a week, I can guarantee that.

Ah, okay, thanks.

Kfanarmy
03-10-2016, 06:35 PM
They're going to need to modify / get a different mask and he needs to spend some good quality time at the FT line for the next few days.

weezie
03-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Can't they customize it to easily removable?

TruBlu
03-11-2016, 07:33 AM
Can't they customize it to easily removable?

Or a flip-up, kinda like a welder's mask or knight's helmet.

Heck, the way the refs let other teams play rough with us, let him wear a football helmet.

devildeac
03-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Or a flip-up, kinda like a welder's mask or knight's helmet.

Heck, the way the refs let other teams play rough with us, let him wear a football helmet.

Why stop with just a helmet:

hudlow
03-11-2016, 10:31 AM
An easily removable mask is one thing....getting it back in place quickly and correctly to safely dive back into action immediately might be the bigger problem.

DukieInKansas
03-11-2016, 10:33 AM
An easily removable mask is one thing...getting it back in place quickly and correctly to safely dive back into action immediately might be the bigger problem.

It seemed to come off pretty easily when he tossed it toward the bench after a foul. ;)

nmduke2001
03-11-2016, 10:41 AM

I broke my nose my junior year and senior year of high school while playing basketball. The second time required surgery, though I was able to wait until the season was over. I played the very next game. The surgery corrected a deviated septum and set the nose.

They're going to need to modify / get a different mask and he needs to spend some good quality time at the FT line for the next few days.

The surgeon (who coincidentally was a Duke MD practicing in NM) had me return my mask. I saw him right before my first game with the broken nose and told him that we had purchased a mask at the medical supply store. He asked how much it costs. We told him a few hundred bucks (that was a lot a coin for my family). He told me to stop on the way home and return it. He said, "Your nose is already broken, you're already going to have surgery when the season is over. What's the worst that can happen if you don't have the mask?" So I played the remaining 5 or 6 games without the mask and had surgery 2 days after we were eliminated from the state tournament. Recovery from the surgery was a few weeks but my case was unique because I had an appendectomy 4 days after the rhinoplasty.