PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Notre Dame ACC Quarters (3/10, 2:30ish, ESPN)

pfrduke
03-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Let's go Duke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2016, 05:16 PM
Survive and advance! Let's go get them Fightin' Irish.

*leaves to curse the tip off time*

Bob Green
03-09-2016, 05:30 PM
The staff needs to have a plan to deal with Bonzie Colson. He ate us up in the regular season game.

DtrainBuckshot
03-09-2016, 06:10 PM
The staff needs to have a plan to deal with Bonzie Colson. He ate us up in the regular season game.

Marshall nose what to do.

devildeac
03-09-2016, 06:14 PM
They might score 100 tomorrow:rolleyes::eek: .

Doria
03-09-2016, 08:05 PM

Yeah, we've gotta avoid getting Bonzie'd again (please). He ate us up in the ACCT last year, as well; IIRC, he set a (then) career high against us in the tournament.

devildeac
03-09-2016, 08:17 PM
Yeah, we've gotta avoid getting Bonzie'd again (please). He ate us up in the ACCT last year, as well; IIRC, he set a (then) career high against us in the tournament.

And perhaps another career high this year at CIS:confused::mad: .

Doria
03-09-2016, 08:20 PM
And perhaps another career high this year at CIS:confused::mad: .

Yeah, I didn't remember if it really was a career high, so I didn't say it, but I certainly remembering feeling like it was, even if it technically wasn't. Man, it'd be awesome if he'd go pro after this year, so we don't have to deal with him for another two, sigh.

FerryFor50
03-09-2016, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I didn't remember if it really was a career high, so I didn't say it, but I certainly remembering feeling like it was, even if it technically wasn't. Man, it'd be awesome if he'd go pro after this year, so we don't have to deal with him for another two, sigh.

He likely won't go pro (at least not NBA) because he's that good.

He just tends to go off on Duke and disappears or plays average against everyone else.

Doria
03-09-2016, 08:25 PM
He likely won't go pro (at least not NBA) because he's that good.

He just tends to go off on Duke and disappears or plays average against everyone else.

Oh, sure, I agree. It was just wishful thinking.

MarkD83
03-09-2016, 08:30 PM

I wonder if he had a cousin named bootsie who went to st johns

cptnflash
03-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Pretty sure we'll win this one. Notre Dame is dangerously overseeded at #4 in the ACC. After this though, all bets are off. Need to root for UNC and UVa to succumb to upsets before we get to them in the semis/finals.

MCFinARL
03-09-2016, 11:02 PM
Pretty sure we'll win this one. Notre Dame is dangerously overseeded at #4 in the ACC. After this though, all bets are off. Need to root for UNC and UVa to succumb to upsets before we get to them in the semis/finals.

Maybe, but would you rather play Pitt than UNC? I'm not sure I would, given how they thrashed Duke in the regular season.

Doria
03-09-2016, 11:53 PM
Maybe, but would you rather play Pitt than UNC? I'm not sure I would, given how they thrashed Duke in the regular season.

I'm not sure I'd rather play Pitt, but I'm sure I'm going to be rooting for Carolina to lose, anyway. Call me shortsighted...

killerleft
03-09-2016, 11:56 PM

I'm always up for another go at the almost-blue rules breakers. We owe both teams, so let's just get there and jump-ball it!:cool:

Doria
03-10-2016, 02:25 AM
I'm always up for another go at the almost-blue rules breakers. We owe both teams, so let's just get there and jump-ball it!:cool:

That's a good point that we owe both of them payback. Still, I just can't not root for Carolina to lose. I'm probably incurring terrible karma, but eh. Ideally, I'd love to beat Notre Dame, the winner of Pitt/UNC, and Miami, for the revenge factor. I'm probably admitting to being a terrible person, lol.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-10-2016, 02:37 AM
That's a good point that we owe both of them payback. Still, I just can't not root for Carolina to lose. I'm probably incurring terrible karma, but eh. Ideally, I'd love to beat Notre Dame, the winner of Pitt/UNC, and Miami, for the revenge factor. I'm probably admitting to being a terrible person, lol.

I am fine with UNC losing today/tomorrow, but I would relish the chance to whoop them again. Really, the only way to get that sour taste out of my mouth from Saturday.

Doria
03-10-2016, 03:05 AM
I am fine with UNC losing today/tomorrow, but I would relish the chance to whoop them again. Really, the only way to get that sour taste out of my mouth from Saturday.

Yeah, and truthfully, I feel we match up better with UNC. But I just can't pull for them... It's hard wired in me at this point. (Though I'm markedly less worried about Pitt on a neutral floor, rather than at the Zoo, but we'll see how they look tomorrow. I reserve the right to change my mind! :o)

Saratoga2
03-10-2016, 08:55 AM
Yeah, and truthfully, I feel we match up better with UNC. But I just can't pull for them... It's hard wired in me at this point. (Though I'm markedly less worried about Pitt on a neutral floor, rather than at the Zoo, but we'll see how they look tomorrow. I reserve the right to change my mind! :o)

Putting the cart before the horse aren't we? ND is the challenge today and one we will probably struggle to meet. Colson is our matchup problem. No Amile and a weakened Matt spell difficulty for our defense of him.

Doria
03-10-2016, 09:16 AM
Putting the cart before the horse aren't we? ND is the challenge today and one we will probably struggle to meet. Colson is our matchup problem. No Amile and a weakened Matt spell difficulty for our defense of him.

Not really. The discussion was about the first game and who we'd be rooting for, and my comment was a direct response to that.

I already gave my admittedly brief thoughts on Notre Dame, but I'd say the more expanded version is nearly identical to what I said in the pre-game thread for our regular season meeting with them. I was concerned about Colson then, and I have no reason not to be concerned with him now, since he proved me right by going out and having yet another ridiculous game against us then. We have a bad record against Mike Brey and the Irish, and I've certainly never taken a win against them for granted since he's been there.

MCFinARL
03-10-2016, 09:43 AM
Not really. The discussion was about the first game and who we'd be rooting for, and my comment was a direct response to that.

I already gave my admittedly brief thoughts on Notre Dame, but I'd say the more expanded version is nearly identical to what I said in the pre-game thread for our regular season meeting with them. I was concerned about Colson then, and I have no reason not to be concerned with him now, since he proved me right by going out and having yet another ridiculous game against us then. We have a bad record against Mike Brey and the Irish, and I've certainly never taken a win against them for granted since he's been there.

Yes, Mike Brey, more than any other coach I can think of (although I'm sure the experts on this board may think of several), seems always to have a good strategy for playing Duke and (perhaps because he once was his assistant) doesn't seem even slightly intimidated by matching up against Coach K. And we will be tired, not to mention banged up. And then there is that infuriating Bonzie Colson, who has apparently made torching Duke his personal basketball mission.

So it's going to be a tough row to hoe. Hoping for the best but not counting on it. Go Duke!

BeachBlueDevil
03-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Someone needs to step up and shutdown Bonzie..... The guy plays well against Duke and that hast to stop today. Jackson is also a good player and I'd like to see DT draped all in his face every time he crosses the half court line and Duke needs to deny Vastruia any catch and shoot options.

Billy Dat
03-10-2016, 09:48 AM
I am sick of Duke losing to ND. It's a battle of who has the best offense versus who has the worse defense.

Jackson/Vasturia/Colson/Auguste are a formidable crew. Freshman Matt Ryan, who is a kid from my area, has been coming on.

It's time for the teacher to start getting back at his student. Come on K, show Brey who is boss! Push him back to his mock turtleneck look!

SirIronDuke
03-10-2016, 10:45 AM
This is the rivalry of the future. Duke and ND (along with Stanford and Northwestern) sit at the pinnacle of schools that try to be great in both academics and sports. Now that ND is in the ACC Duke is going to be butting heads with them in every sport, every year.

We should just sit back and enjoy the spectacle of two great historic programs going at it. I feel lucky to be here and witness this rivalry from the start...

Indoor66
03-10-2016, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure I'd rather play Pitt, but I'm sure I'm going to be rooting for Carolina to lose, anyway. Call me brilliant and wise...

FIFY. the cheats should always lose.

DukeFanSince1990
03-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Being in IT has its perks. Like being in control of the web filter during the ACC tournament. :cool::D

devildeac
03-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Did Matt get a reprimand and/or suspension for his elbow yesterday? :rolleyes:

nmduke2001
03-10-2016, 11:26 AM

Bonzie is the dirtiest player in the ACC. Watch how he always makes contact after the whistle is blown or elbows during a box out. Just take a little time to watch him away from the ball. You'll be shocked at the level of chippiness in his game.

devildeac
03-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Bonzie is the dirtiest player in the ACC. Watch how he always makes contact after the whistle is blown or elbows during a box out. Just take a little time to watch him away from the ball. You'll be shocked at the level of chippiness in his game.

Couldn't be "dirtier" than our own GA. Maybe espn (aka unc tv) will feature that today.

:rolleyes:

Indoor66
03-10-2016, 12:06 PM
I am tuning in now to watch the prelim match - at which time I fully anticipate a unCheat loss by 50+ points! :cool:

devildeac
03-10-2016, 12:13 PM
I am tuning in now to watch the prelim match - at which time I fully anticipate a unCheat loss by 50+ points! :cool:

I want whatever you put in your coffee this am. Pitt (more than likely) will rollover/fold/underachieve/play dead/(fill in your own word or phrase) and lose by double digits.

(but will be delighted to be proven wrong)

Indoor66
03-10-2016, 01:47 PM
I want whatever you put in your coffee this am. Pitt (more than likely) will rollover/fold/underachieve/play dead/(fill in your own word or phrase) and lose by double digits.

(but will be delighted to be proven wrong)

Jamie is such a wimp. His boys are rolling over and fading fast and licking your lips does not help.:mad::cool:

devildeac
03-10-2016, 01:51 PM
Jamie is such a wimp. His boys are rolling over and fading fast and licking your lips does not help.:mad::cool:

As I predicted in the ACCT thread, IIRC. The Pitt swoon is on.

elvis14
03-10-2016, 01:56 PM
I know that ND generally plays their best against Duke but I did see where they have lost 3 of their last 5 games. Hopefully the peak of their season was the last time they played us!

uh_no
03-10-2016, 02:04 PM
I'm ready for this one:

jacone21
03-10-2016, 02:08 PM
I'm ready for this one:

Could you have chosen an uglier picture for your attachment? Couldn't wait for a cheerleader or something to be on screen? Geez! Think of the children!

-jk
03-10-2016, 02:09 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

uh_no
03-10-2016, 02:10 PM
Could you have chosen an uglier picture for your attachment? Couldn't wait for a cheerleader or something to be on screen? Geez! Think of the children!

you can also notice what's up on the laptop screen is certainly not outlook...

nocilla
03-10-2016, 02:14 PM
I know that ND generally plays their best against Duke but I did see where they have lost 3 of their last 5 games. Hopefully the peak of their season was the last time they played us!

Well we've lost 3 of our last 6... Hopefully we haven't peaked yet.

timmy c
03-10-2016, 02:16 PM
I'm ready for this one:

Can I work remotely from your cubicle today?

subzero02
03-10-2016, 02:17 PM
The Blue Phantom will play today...

DukeFanSince1990
03-10-2016, 02:19 PM
I'm ready for this one:

Lets do this!

riverside6
03-10-2016, 02:21 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Notre Dame, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/tbd-at-notre-dame-basketball-live-stats-3102016-2-pm

Kfanarmy
03-10-2016, 02:23 PM
I'm ready for this one:

How did you catch that facial expression?

uh_no
03-10-2016, 02:25 PM
How did you catch that facial expression?

easy. i just took a picture of roy. the expression comes for free :D

subzero02
03-10-2016, 03:11 PM
Obi with some nice minutes... plumlee just needs to keep his arms straight up when defending the post.

dukelion
03-10-2016, 03:20 PM
WOW

Obi looks more than competent but Jeter.......dare I say a force inside?

aimo
Is it just me, or does ND's Matt Ryan look like a young Andre the Giant?

CDu
Great first half from Jeter and Obi, when we absolutely needed it. 9 points and 7 rebounds off the bench.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Great first half from Jeter and Obi, when we absolutely needed it. 9 points and 7 rebounds off the bench.

What a game changer.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Maybe Amile wanted to come back next year for a *third* ring?

CDu
03-10-2016, 03:30 PM
If you had told me that Ingram and Kennard would be a combined 2-11 with 9 points, that Plumlee would have more fouls than points and rebounds combined, and only one of our top six players would have more than 5 points and that we'd be leading by 8, I'd have laughed in your face. If you'd added that Notre Dame would be shooting 50+% from the field and we'd STILL have an 8 point lead, I'd continue to laugh.

Hopefully Ingram and/or Kennard get going, Plumlee doesn't foul again, and we are able to hang on to this lead.

Billy Dat
03-10-2016, 03:34 PM
If you had told me that Ingram and Kennard would be a combined 2-11 with 9 points, that Plumlee would have more fouls than points and rebounds combined, and only one of our top six players would have more than 5 points and that we'd be leading by 8, I'd have laughed in your face. If you'd added that Notre Dame would be shooting 50+% from the field and we'd STILL have an 8 point lead, I'd continue to laugh.

Hopefully Ingram and/or Kennard get going, Plumlee doesn't foul again, and we are able to hang on to this lead.

Yeah, we should be in good shape, but who knows. A good start to the half is needed, as always. Zones have kind of taken BI out of it the last two games. I wish he had hit one of those first two shots he took in the middle to get him going.

CameronBlue
03-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Obi's court awareness has just skyrocketed. Jeter is playing the game up high and not bringing the ball down for 2nd chance pts. I think the zone probably suits both well. The zone was porous early. ND had been flashing Auguste and Colson in from the corner for some easy baskets. But Jeter and Obi have helped plug with holes with their combination of bulk and length. Expect ND to be more aggressive attacking the interior of the zone in the 2nd half.

CDu
03-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Yeah, we should be in good shape, but who knows. A good start to the half is needed, as always. Zones have kind of taken BI out of it the last two games. I wish he had hit one of those first two shots he took in the middle to get him going.

Good start to the half? Check. Let's keep it rolling.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-10-2016, 03:54 PM
Loving our activity on the boards. Would love to pay some of them forward to a potential game tomorrow.

CDu
03-10-2016, 04:01 PM
Loving our activity on the boards. Would love to pay some of them forward to a potential game tomorrow.

At least, if we do happen to win today, Plumlee and Ingram will be well-rested for tomorrow.

InSpades
03-10-2016, 04:28 PM
It kills me that no one in college goes for the 2 for 1 possession at the end of games. 50 seconds on the shot clock and Duke waits 10 to make a move. It just makes no sense.

And then ND gives Duke 4 seconds for no apparent reason...

subzero02
03-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Use the glass Luke

gumbomoop
03-10-2016, 04:37 PM
It kills me that no one in college goes for the 2 for 1 possession at the end of games. 50 seconds on the shot clock and Duke waits 10 to make a move. It just makes no sense.

And then ND gives Duke 4 seconds for no apparent reason...

More surprising to me is that K always does go 2 for 1. Duke ball at 1:04. Shoot it at around 42 seconds.

downeastdad
03-10-2016, 04:40 PM
In Sicily trying to watch on Gametracker. What happened to 13 point lead? Not looking good. Go Duke.
ded

InSpades
03-10-2016, 04:42 PM
On the upside we don't get to lose to UNC again...

CDu
03-10-2016, 04:43 PM
We stopped making shots, and Notre Dame started.

dukelion
03-10-2016, 04:45 PM
Just ran out of gas....if it didn't happen today it would've been worse tomorrow against UNC.

Best part is that they get some solid rest and more importantly it looks like Jeter is finally areal asset.

Actually like our chances for a decent run depending on the draw.