PDA

View Full Version : Survive and Advance

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-08-2016, 09:12 PM
I am sure I am late to the party, but just watched the 30 for 30 on Valvano and 1983. Great watch for this time of year if you can catch it. Hard to not tear up.

Newton_14
03-08-2016, 09:28 PM
I am sure I am late to the party, but just watched the 30 for 30 on Valvano and 1983. Great watch for this time of year if you can catch it. Hard to not tear up.

It was a magical season and run. One thing that gets lost on people I think, is that NC State team was actually a darn good basketball team. If they don't lose Whitenburg to the broken foot (suffered against Sampson and UVA in what was a thriller of a game) then they don't come close to losing 10 games that season. They were a Cinderella, yes, but deceivingly so. They did come periously close to losing to Pepperdine in double OT in game one, and they had to come from behind and use the fouling ploy in several games, but man they beat some top notch teams over the course of that run, including unc with Jordan & Perkins, UVA with Sampson (twice), a great UNLV team with Armon Gilliam, and of course the great Houston team.

Just an amazing run. Thanks for starting the thread. We should always pay homage to that Coach and that team each season. "Whitenburg for 3, that's a long wayyyyy, they did it! they did it! Lorenzo Charles dunks it and the Wolfpack have won the National Championship"! Probably not the exact call, but it was something to that effect.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-08-2016, 09:54 PM
It was a magical season and run. One thing that gets lost on people I think, is that NC State team was actually a darn good basketball team. If they don't lose Whitenburg to the broken foot (suffered against Sampson and UVA in what was a thriller of a game) then they don't come close to losing 10 games that season. They were a Cinderella, yes, but deceivingly so. They did come periously close to losing to Pepperdine in double OT in game one, and they had to come from behind and use the fouling ploy in several games, but man they beat some top notch teams over the course of that run, including unc with Jordan & Perkins, UVA with Sampson (twice), a great UNLV team with Armon Gilliam, and of course the great Houston team.

Just an amazing run. Thanks for starting the thread. We should always pay homage to that Coach and that team each season. "Whitenburg for 3, that's a long wayyyyy, they did it! they did it! Lorenzo Charles dunks it and the Wolfpack have won the National Championship"! Probably not the exact call, but it was something to that effect.

Well, there was no "three," so...

Very moving episode. The real emotion and camradarie of the players is palpable.

Newton_14
03-08-2016, 10:11 PM
Well, there was no "three," so...

Very moving episode. The real emotion and camradarie of the players is palpable.

There was absolutely a 3 in the Regular Season and I believe ACC Tourney, but you are right, they did not use it in the NCAA. I will have to look up a video of that sequence. Its funny, I've heard it 100+ times of the years. "That's a long way" is the one thing that was ingrained in memory I guess.

Edit: From Youtube: "Whitenburg... oh that's a long way... they won it!!! On the dunk!"

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ICZ8HO8c9bw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-08-2016, 11:40 PM
There was absolutely a 3 in the Regular Season and I believe ACC Tourney, but you are right, they did not use it in the NCAA. I will have to look up a video of that sequence. Its funny, I've heard it 100+ times of the years. "That's a long way" is the one thing that was ingrained in memory I guess.

Edit: From Youtube: "Whitenburg... oh that's a long way... they won it!!! On the dunk!"

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ICZ8HO8c9bw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imagine such a crazy rule differential these days in the tourney. Egads.

Doria
03-09-2016, 12:13 AM

I'd randomly caught the end of that one when I was in NC at Christmas, visiting my parents (I think they were marathoning the 30 for 30's). But after watching the NCSU-WF game this morning, it was great to see it from the start. That title game is one of those memories where I can totally remember where I was and with whom I watched it; I don't recall a lot of the rest of the season, but I'm sure I watched the games that were on TV with my folks.

I'm really looking forward to the 30 for 30 Sunday night. My mother's birthday was in February, and I gave her the 30 for 30 Blu-ray box set (now, of course, I need to buy it for myself). I love all of the ones I've caught.

BandAlum83
03-10-2016, 01:01 AM
I'd randomly caught the end of that one when I was in NC at Christmas, visiting my parents (I think they were marathoning the 30 for 30's). But after watching the NCSU-WF game this morning, it was great to see it from the start. That title game is one of those memories where I can totally remember where I was and with whom I watched it; I don't recall a lot of the rest of the season, but I'm sure I watched the games that were on TV with my folks.

I'm really looking forward to the 30 for 30 Sunday night. My mother's birthday was in February, and I gave her the 30 for 30 Blu-ray box set (now, of course, I need to buy it for myself). I love all of the ones I've caught.

I watched that game in the House CC commons room. Man o man, were we excited. A bunch of us took a road trip to the brick yard that night. That was a great night...

Doria
03-10-2016, 02:18 AM
I watched that game in the House CC commons room. Man o man, were we excited. A bunch of us took a road trip to the brick yard that night. That was a great night...

My mom taught at State for many years, and I spent a lot of time on the campus, growing up. So all the places had so much nostalgia for me. The brick yard was great!

I miss Reynolds a lot. To be fair, I've not been to the PNC, so it's probably really nice, but it isn't the same (insert old people cliches here).

duke blue brewcrew
03-10-2016, 08:48 AM

If you don't get emotional watching that one, IMHO there's something the matter with ya. It's a great watch. I remember that season reasonably well given how long ago it was. I also remember where I was when I heard Jimmy V give that speech. It's just one of those moments you never forget, kind of like the Christian Leattner shot against K-Y in '92 :)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-28-2016, 11:49 AM
Nice recognition for the 1983 Pack.

1983 North Carolina State title team to meet president May 9 http://es.pn/1YVCQY9