PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. NC State ACCT Second Round (3/9, 2:00ish, ESPN)

pfrduke
03-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Let's go Duke!

CameronBlue
03-08-2016, 02:17 PM
Let's go Duke!

It's on like a Chinese wind song!!

LGD!!

lotusland
03-08-2016, 02:20 PM
The key is to stay healthy, stay out of foul trouble and make some shots from here on out.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-08-2016, 02:30 PM
Man, having to beat a team three times in the same season is not easy. I have confidence that our guys can do it. NC State isnt incredibly deep either, and no way Mav is hitting threes like that tomorrow I hope. We always seem to keep him in check.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-08-2016, 02:31 PM
I would like to see us go up early, stay ahead. Not too taxing on our boys, please. Of course, Barber is always dangerous and could lead to a very short stay in DC

SCMatt33
03-08-2016, 02:32 PM
That's a very big "ish" on the 2PM start time. Where do they come up with this? Do they expect the first game to somehow be over in an hour and a half?

jv001
03-08-2016, 02:34 PM
NC State is not to be taken lightly but if we shoot like we did in our tough stretch of our season, we should beat them. This Pack team is pretty big on the frontline, but they are not the quick leapers like Brice, Jackson and Hicks. The toughest assignment for the Pack is how they defend Ingram. They don't have anyone that can guard him if he's on his game and not fatigued. I look for a close game with the Devils coming out on top. GoDuke!

uh_no
03-08-2016, 02:41 PM
That's a very big "ish" on the 2PM start time. Where do they come up with this? Do they expect the first game to somehow be over in an hour and a half?

today's game ended up being at 2:37. expect something similar tomorrow.

ESPN has the time slot until 4:30, which makes sense...I think the goal is to avoid ever having a situation where the game COULD start ahead of its allotted time...because that's just dead airtime for ESPN.

also if you haven't seen it yet...go watch the last play of the WFU game....i hope to god that wasn't the play they drew up....

They ran a play for steph curry, but didn't realize curry doesn't actually play for them.

Saratoga2
03-08-2016, 02:49 PM
NC State has Cat Barber, who is a matchup problem for us and really any team in the ACC. Is Derryck the best choice of defending him? NC State also has the Rowen kid who is about 6'6" and has a quick release. He hit 6 threes today and helped to kill any Wake chances down the stretch. Probably Grayson is best equipped to guard him because of his quickness, athleticism and relentlessness. Another area of concern when playing NC State is their inside presence. They have size and are physical.

On our side we have Grayson who will get his points against anyone they can put on him and we have Brandon a real matchup issue for NC State. Personally, I hope Luke gets the start as his handle, calm demeanor and scoring ability are right up there with our best players. He will also take some pressure off the other two by being a threat. Our guards are good free throw shooters and that is important in closing out the game. Marshall and Chase need to play with enthusiasm and get a reasonable share of the rebounds and we should be okay.

Look forward to the match.

Atldukie79
03-08-2016, 02:53 PM
I seem to recall Thornton holding Cat in check for a half...really made him work.
Thornton and Luke have both been up and down. I expect Thornton will get a shot at controlling Cat, and his minutes will correlate to his success in slowing him down.

lotusland
03-08-2016, 02:58 PM
Yeah Cat will could cause foul trouble for Matt, Luke, Grayson or DT for that matter. DT is going to play whether or not he starts but I think he starts this one.

uh_no
03-08-2016, 03:02 PM
NC State has Cat Barber, who is a matchup problem for us and really any team in the ACC. Is Derryck the best choice of defending him? NC State also has the Rowen kid who is about 6'6" and has a quick release. He hit 6 threes today and helped to kill any Wake chances down the stretch. Probably Grayson is best equipped to guard him because of his quickness, athleticism and relentlessness. Another area of concern when playing NC State is their inside presence. They have size and are physical.

On our side we have Grayson who will get his points against anyone they can put on him and we have Brandon a real matchup issue for NC State. Personally, I hope Luke gets the start as his handle, calm demeanor and scoring ability are right up there with our best players. He will also take some pressure off the other two by being a threat. Our guards are good free throw shooters and that is important in closing out the game. Marshall and Chase need to play with enthusiasm and get a reasonable share of the rebounds and we should be okay.

Look forward to the match.

good analysis.

I think the prime importance is staying as rested as possible. While this is true for Marhsall, I think he has the experience to temper his exertion that the younger guards may not have. Grayson certainly doens't have it, and I'm not sure the frosh really do either....And it's not just for tomorrow, but for 4 days potentially. I would expect to see K trying to keep the guards under 35 minutes...and maybe some chase+marshall, or even obi, if the situation is secure enough.

To that end, it's important to put this one away as early as possible....obviously you always try to do that, but the earlier the lead is "safe" the more conservatively we can start playing. I expect to see posessions milked for all their worth as well...another thing you have the luxury of doing when you're up a few.

I'm pumped. Time to see how these frosh handle the big lights.

jv001
03-08-2016, 03:03 PM
I seem to recall Thornton holding Cat in check for a half...really made him work.
Thornton and Luke have both been up and down. I expect Thornton will get a shot at controlling Cat, and his minutes will correlate to his success in slowing him down.

Thornton did hold Cat in check the first half of that game. Derryck is best equipped to guard him man2man and probably the only Duke player that can half way stay in front of him. I just hope Derryck defers to Grayson, Brandon and Luke on offense. His shot is just inconsistent right now. GoDuke!

sagegrouse
03-08-2016, 03:06 PM

You mean, like in the old days before TV timeouts? It wasn't a really long night to watch both the freshman and varsity games overs the course of an evening

moonpie23
03-08-2016, 03:19 PM
i would rather it had been wake......no biggie....we are gonna play whoever is on the court... play smart.....don't get injured...

GO DUKE!!!

Troublemaker
03-08-2016, 03:46 PM
NC State also has the Rowen kid who is about 6'6" and has a quick release. He hit 6 threes today and helped to kill any Wake chances down the stretch. Probably Grayson is best equipped to guard him because of his quickness, athleticism and relentlessness.

A dangerous shooter that likes to come off screens? I think we know the player Coach K will assign to that as the primary defender. It's not Grayson. (Although, as always, Duke switches a lot so everyone will get a taste of Rowan at some point).

oldnavy
03-08-2016, 04:26 PM
NCSU played 7 players today, Cat played the full 40... for what that's worth.

devil84
03-08-2016, 04:29 PM
I'm pumped. Time to see how these frosh handle the big lights in an empty stadium.

FIFY. :)

Looking at the crowd, I'm not seeing many behinds in the seats. While it's two Big 4 teams playing, how many people will be there -- for any team -- on a Wednesday afternoon? I know the first day of the expanded tournament doesn't draw many people, how many fans will be there? How will that impact each team? NCSU has a game of experience where their sneaker squeaks echo. The last game Duke played was in a stadium so loud, one's ears rung for a while after the game.

At least there are a lot of Duke fans that live in the DC area. Hope they're taking Wednesday afternoon off from work!

PackMan97
03-08-2016, 05:02 PM
Slow Cat down. Win game. That's all you guys need to do.

State on the other hand, needs everyone to play great. At least there will be no complaints from either team about the other team beating them with bench depth. :eek:

jseelke
03-08-2016, 05:40 PM
I will be one of those Duke alumni who will be taking a half day to make it down to the Verizon Center...Tickets are super cheap on stub hub - $6 each for some upper level seats! Hoping that some other alumni will join me!

It really makes NO SENSE to have this tournament in the Washington DC area (or even the Barclays Center for the next two years)...It should be kept in the NC area...I watched the 30-for-30 on the big east tournament in Madison Square Garden - the ACC should have some type of continuity like that

Looking at the crowd, I'm not seeing many behinds in the seats. While it's two Big 4 teams playing, how many people will be there -- for any team -- on a Wednesday afternoon? I know the first day of the expanded tournament doesn't draw many people, how many fans will be there? How will that impact each team? NCSU has a game of experience where their sneaker squeaks echo. The last game Duke played was in a stadium so loud, one's ears rung for a while after the game.

At least there are a lot of Duke fans that live in the DC area. Hope they're taking Wednesday afternoon off from work!

Reisen
03-08-2016, 05:41 PM

I will be there, along with my dad, who flew in from Seattle for the tournament. I picked up great tickets (club level, behind the bench, second row) for less than face value on Stubhub ($35 each for $55 tickets).

Unfortunately, I can't do it 2 days in a row, as if they win, Duke will play again Thursday afternoon. But if they win that, I'll be headed to the game Friday night.

weezie
03-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Hey Reisen, does your dad need a date for Thursday? :)

CDu
03-08-2016, 06:45 PM
If Brandon Ingram can stay out of foul trouble, we should win. If he can't, it will be a battle. State has nobody to guard Ingram, and Ingram allows us to switch freely on screens outside while also being a good rebounder.

jv001
03-08-2016, 06:51 PM
A dangerous shooter that likes to come off screens? I think we know the player Coach K will assign to that as the primary defender. It's not Grayson. (Although, as always, Duke switches a lot so everyone will get a taste of Rowan at some point).

I'm hoping if it's Matt, he's 100%. He has looked slow ever since he sprained that ankle. I don't know if he can handle Rowan. GoDuke!

CDu
03-08-2016, 07:01 PM
I'm hoping if it's Matt, he's 100%. He has looked slow ever since he sprained that ankle. I don't know if he can handle Rowan. GoDuke!

He actually has sprained both ankles. But he definitely has looked slower since each.

gofurman
03-08-2016, 08:08 PM
NCSU played 7 players today, Cat played the full 40... for what that's worth.

I like that. Noticed the same. Most players on state played 30+ minutes. And it was a v close game so no psychological rest. This helps Duke. State guys are not rested. Now I am not sure that really helps Duke until late in second half. Most guys can play the next day for a half or so before fatigue sets in. Actually may help State to be in playing mode for the first few minutes of our game. They are in go mode already. But after we get over any jitters I expect Duke to win

fuse
03-08-2016, 09:12 PM
While I would like to see Duke win, we are up against the dreaded hard to win against the same team three times in one season.

Wondering if any ACC tournament outcome beyond a championship results in a seed outside the 4-6 range. An ACC tournament championship gets Duke a 2 seed I think.

One pundit had Duke as a 5-12 matchup with Monmouth.
Can't tell you how much I don't want anything to do with Monmouth or Queen Rice.

Furniture
03-08-2016, 09:53 PM
It's the DVR for me. I have set it only for tomorrow. I don't want to jinx us!!!

Newton_14
03-08-2016, 10:06 PM
I would like to see us go up early, stay ahead. Not too taxing on our boys, please. Of course, Barber is always dangerous and could lead to a very short stay in DC

Yes please. We really need a cruiser type game tomorrow in the worst way. We can only go 7 deep no matter what the score is, so having a comfortable lead throughout is the only way for our guys to get any semblance of extra "rest".

I have no grand illusions here. It will take a monumental effort to cut the nets down Saturday Night. The 4 game run against Louisville/UVA/uncheat/Louisville gives me a sliver of hope that we can pull it off, but 4 games in 4 days would take a serious toll on our guys...

Doria
03-09-2016, 12:58 AM

I've watched a fair amount of State this season, and while Rowan is definitely coming on (i.e., his shot is more consistent, and he's showing better judgment), he isn't super fast, either. I don't think quickness or speed is really the issue for guarding him. That said, he has the potential to be extremely dangerous, especially if the outside jumper is falling for Martin, as well.

We really don't want to let State spread the defense if we can help it, since that has the potential to result in flirting with good games from both Abu and Barber. We should be okay against them. I don't put a ton of stock in their having played one game already being some big advantage for us, though. But they certainly are one team that our depth is a less glaring problem, since it's one they share.

I'm cautiously optimistic for tomorrow, and darn it, I really want another chance to beat Notre Dame. Didn't like that loss at all; and while I've taken some solace in the fact that we aren't the only team who's been Bonzie'd, I really want a game where he doesn't have a career night against us.

dukebluesincebirth
03-09-2016, 09:03 AM
This thread has fallen too far down the list, tipoff in 5 hours! It's tourney time! The 2:30 start time is killing me, as I'll be at work and not focused on the game:(
I hope the boys can gut this one out so I can fake a sickness tomorrow afternoon and watch the ND game! I have a feeling this one is going to be tough...Cat is always a problem and can go off at any moment. The key player for Duke for me today, and pretty much for the rest of the season is Derryck Thornton Jr. We have to have a point guard who can at least run some offense without turning it over, and play good D against the opposing guards. Derryck has shown ability to do these things at times this season, but nowhere near consistently. We need him in March. Lets go Devils!!!

CameronDuke
03-09-2016, 09:57 AM
Barber will get his. He is the real deal. The key is to make him earn his points. Making him take lots of shots, and forcing him to make plays in the halfcourt is key. Trying to limit his transition game will be paramount for Duke. If he gets 20 points on 18-20 shots, so be it. He's a good player.

I don't think Rowan will have near the day today as he did yesterday. People get hot from 3 in tournaments but you have to start wondering about his legs after a while. By the second half today, he may be gassed.

We have to keep Anya and Abu off the boards and keep Plumlee and Ingram out of foul trouble. I'd like to see the man to man defense featured with a little 1-3-1 wrinkle to buy time.

If Allen and Kennard bring it from 3, and Jones can lock down Rowan while Thornton pesters Barber, I like Duke in this one 79-71.

Go Duke.

CameronDuke
03-09-2016, 10:05 AM
Also, for what it's worth, the line in this one was Duke -8.5 the last time I checked. Seems like Vegas thinks the Wolfpack will take an exit from the ACC Tournament this afternoon.

Bob Green
03-09-2016, 10:23 AM
FWIW, Grayson Allen dominated MOTM voting for both games against N.C. State this season:

January 23, 2016: Allen - 96 votes, Brandon Ingram 8 votes
February 6, 2016: Allen - 47 votes, Luke Kennard 19 votes

Allen's stat line:

January 23, 2016: 28 points, 7 assists, 7 rebounds
February 6, 2016: 28 points, 4 assists, 1 rebound

I'm thinking a strong performance from Grayson Allen would be nice. Obviously, one can say that for every game seeing as Allen is our leading scorer. I just find it ironic that posters on data centric DBR rarely reference past MOTM voting when discussing a team we previously played, or in this case, have played twice. Besides tip-off is still four hours away so we have to talk about something.

Billy Dat
03-09-2016, 10:40 AM
When I think of State and the ACC tournament, the 2 first round losses in 1997 and 2007 always jump out at me. Aside from being happy that this isn't another 10 year anniversary, to make myself feel better I quickly went back through my post-grad years to see when we played State in the ACC tournament and was relieved to see an overwhelmingly positive trend:

95 - we win despite having a really bad conference year
97 - loss
99 - win
01 - win
02 - win for title
03 - win for title
05 - win
07 - loss
14 - win

So, despite those two painful first round Ls, history is squarely on our side. I still am nervous, but hopefully it's the good nervous. I get that the past is the past, but I am just trying to calm myself before blowing off several hours of work later today.

BeachBlueDevil
03-09-2016, 11:00 AM
Lot of talk about Barber getting his and deservedly so. However, after Rowan's performance yesterday I hope Duke has an answer for him. Rowan has always been able to shoot and as a freshmen it might becoming together at the right time for him and State. We shall see what happens late today, I don't want to jinx anything but an extended layoff might be good for Duke, just not a one and done in the conference tournament.

Billy Dat
03-09-2016, 11:57 AM
Nothing like Gottfried and NC State getting implicated in a little scandal the day we play them...can't hurt right?

"Foreign Trade: Is there a link between booking tours and landing recruits?"
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/03/09/foreign-tours-recruiting-canarias-academy-minnesota-seton-hall

-jk
03-09-2016, 02:00 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

BandAlum83
03-09-2016, 02:33 PM
So...should I watch on ESPN or the ACC network? Who is doing the play by play on espn?

riverside6
03-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/NC State, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/tbd-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-392016-2-pm

cato
03-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Luke wins the start. Interesting

Doria
03-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Does anyone know who's refereeing our game?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Does anyone know who's refereeing our game?

Come join us in the chat universe

gumbomoop
03-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Very not smart rhythm dribble by Marshall. Two missed free throws.

Kfanarmy
03-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Helloooo D; time to get off the bus, it's half time.

Doria
03-09-2016, 03:32 PM
Come join us in the chat universe

I would, but I'm watching with my roommate and friends, so I think it'd be a little rude.

Nice to see us getting the lid off the basket on offense, but would also be nice to play a little more effective defense (though, some of the shots State made were reasonably well defended; if State had played like this all season, they probably wouldn't have had quite so many losses).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2016, 03:37 PM
I would, but I'm watching with my roommate and friends, so I think it'd be a little rude.

Nice to see us getting the lid off the basket on offense, but would also be nice to play a little more effective defense (though, some of the shots State made were reasonably well defended; if State had played like this all season, they probably wouldn't have had quite so many losses).

That makes sense. Thought you were watching at work like the 45 of us in the chat room.

If State doesn't cool off (I think they will) then we are done. But I suspect K is using some very colorful language in the locker room to wake our boys up. I want to see some toughness on D.

Saratoga2
03-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Question:
How do you score 50 points in a half and still find yourself 3 points down at the half?

a) The other team shoots out of their mind
b) The defense you play is ineffective
c) Both of a and b above

Cmon guys. Tighten up and Grayson, get it going too.

rsvman
03-09-2016, 04:24 PM
that last shot from Grayson was ill advised.