PDA

View Full Version : downtown Atlanta dining

aimo
03-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Conference time again. Staying at the Hyatt Regency. Any easy walking distance suggestions for dining?

Channing
03-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Is walking mandatory? You are a short uber drive from Ponce City Market and Krog Street Market, both of which have great dining opportunities are a lot of fun. Paschals is about 1.5 miles from your hotel, and has some fantastic fried chicken (it also happens to be MLK's old hangout, though the restaurant was at a different location at that time). You are also a short uber ride from the Optimist which, while known for its seafood, has one of Atlanta's best burgers (but only for lunch). Unfortunately there aren't a lot of great options right in downtown.

ricks68
03-08-2016, 05:06 PM
Conference time again. Staying at the Hyatt Regency. Any easy walking distance suggestions for dining?

If you can walk to the ACC Tournament from your hotel in Atlanta, getting to any restaurant in the entire state of Georgia should be a breeze.;):confused:

ricks

Edouble
03-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Is walking mandatory? You are a short uber drive from Ponce City Market and Krog Street Market, both of which have great dining opportunities are a lot of fun. Paschals is about 1.5 miles from your hotel, and has some fantastic fried chicken (it also happens to be MLK's old hangout, though the restaurant was at a different location at that time). You are also a short uber ride from the Optimist which, while known for its seafood, has one of Atlanta's best burgers (but only for lunch). Unfortunately there aren't a lot of great options right in downtown.

Good thoughts here. Avoid The Luminary at Krog Street Market. The GC BBQ is excellent and some of the city's finest.

I will add though, that if you are going to bother to Uber, which you should, head over to Boccalupo in Inman Park, which is just one block southeast from Krog Street Market. Best restaurant in the city.

Source: I'm a professional food photographer. I have eaten the food at almost every restaurant in the city. I am also a strict Paleo dieter. Bocca is the only place in the A that I will actually pay to eat gluten. It's that good.

Channing
03-09-2016, 08:31 AM
Good thoughts here. Avoid The Luminary at Krog Street Market. The GC BBQ is excellent and some of the city's finest.

I will add though, that if you are going to bother to Uber, which you should, head over to Boccalupo in Inman Park, which is just one block southeast from Krog Street Market. Best restaurant in the city.

Source: I'm a professional food photographer. I have eaten the food at almost every restaurant in the city. I am also a strict Paleo dieter. Bocca is the only place in the A that I will actually pay to eat gluten. It's that good.

Bruce Logue, the executive chef at BL, is a former neighbor and friend. Their squid ink pasta is incredible.

Edouble
03-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Bruce Logue, the executive chef at BL, is a former neighbor and friend. Their squid ink pasta is incredible.

Can't say enough about Bruce. Nice guy. Great chef. I know him and several of the BL folks on a casual basis, only b/c I am such a big fan of their food. I often see Bruce at the Freedom Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings at the Carter Center picking up fresh ingredients.

My favorite is the octopus and mortadella, but I am usually a fan of everything that comes out of Bruce's kitchen.

BLPOG
03-09-2016, 07:26 PM
I recommend dropping by the lower level of the Hilton and ordering a piņa colada at Trader Vic's. :cool:

aimo
03-10-2016, 12:14 PM
I recommend dropping by the lower level of the Hilton and ordering a piņa colada at Trader Vic's. :cool:

Aaahhhooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Reilly
03-10-2016, 01:26 PM
Aaahhhooooooooooo!!!!!!!

In the long-ago, pre-music-streaming, pre-internet, pre-youtube days, some dorm conversation turned to "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon. It was nearly imperative that we hear it (forget why) and nobody had it handy. So, we called WXDU late at night to make a request for them to play it. There were probably about 6 people listening to WXDU at that moment. True to the "we have to be cooler than you" ethos of college radio stations everywhere, they "honored" the request by playing some obscure, awful, cover version with none of attributes of the original.