PDA

View Full Version : Old War Wound

moonpie23
03-07-2016, 08:15 PM
i've got recurring pain from this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os87qJ6gxJk) for the rest of my life...

jdc75
03-07-2016, 08:31 PM
i've got recurring pain from this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os87qJ6gxJk) for the rest of my life...

Worst no call ever.

-jk
03-07-2016, 08:50 PM

I bet you pick scabs, too...

#BoozerWasFouled

-jk

OldPhiKap
03-07-2016, 08:51 PM

Worst no call ever.

Without looking -- is it Boozer hacked at the end of the Indiana game?

Newton_14
03-07-2016, 09:11 PM
In addition to the egregious no call on the mugging of Boozer, the Duhon pick pocket steal that was called a foul that led to the two Indiana FT's for the 4 point lead was gawd awful too. We would have had a 3 on 1 fast break going the other way down 72-70....

Maybe Maryland beats us in the title game anyway but sure would have been nice to play them again. Indiana had a cake walk to the Final Four after that.

jacone21
03-07-2016, 10:57 PM
Bruce Benedict was reffing a game at Georgia Southern earlier this season. I sit directly courtside, and at a quiet moment late in the game, I yelled, "Bruce! Boozer was fouled!" Of course, the GS fans surrounding me had no idea what I was going on about, and Bruce only cut his eyes at me. But he knew. I'm sure of it. It still stings, but yelling at Bruce made me feel at least 0.02% better. :D

Duke79UNLV77
03-07-2016, 11:08 PM
To me, the worst we've ever been screwed by refs in a game. And not just those 2 blown calls. The entire 2nd half was absurd. Benedict should have stuck with being a mediocre catcher.

HK Dukie
03-07-2016, 11:23 PM

I had that on my Tivo for more than a year as I couldn't bear the thought of mentally giving up on that team. It was just so blatantly obvious that I had a tough time reconciling it.

I'm better with missed calls these days, but I know how you feel...

Newton_14
03-07-2016, 11:33 PM
To me, the worst we've ever been screwed by refs in a game. And not just those 2 blown calls. The entire 2nd half was absurd. Benedict should have stuck with being a mediocre catcher.

Sorry, I think UConn in the 2004 Final Four takes the honor of worst screw job by the stripes ever. We had that game in the bag, despite the horrendous officiating, until the final 3 minutes where our guys were mauled with no foul calls. On one possession, JJ drove from the wing into the lane just below the foul line, and when he went up for the mid-range jumper, the defender hammered down across BOTH of his arms, causing the ball to go flying and leading to an easy two points for UConn. We were either up 8 or 6 at that point, not sure. So a 4 point swing. Instead of JJ going to the line to push it back to 8 or up to 10, UConn gets a layup. It was disgusting.

Our first, second, and third string centers all fouled out of the game, despite Shelden sitting large portions due to the foul trouble. Shav played the game of his career until the refs sent him to the bench as well, leaving only Horvath, who also fouled out in like 6 or 7 minutes of game action. Michael Thompson, Michael Thompson... son.... had you only stuck it out the entire season, rather than bailing at Christmas, maybe, just maybe, you are the difference in that game, and K/DUke is sitting on 6 Titles right now. No way GaTech was gonna beat us in the title game.

2002 was bad... but to me 2004 was worse... my two cents... up for debate...

Newt_14

g-money
03-08-2016, 12:23 AM

I agree with this. To me, 2004-06 seemed like the peak of Duke Hate which led (in my eternally cynical and not unbiased opinion) to a lot of whistle-swallowing by the refs.

Remarkably - and thankfully - things all seemed to start getting better in 2008, right around the time that Coach K took over Team USA.

It now feels like we're getting a fair deal, I dare say. Except for Grayson Allen.

weezie
03-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Bruce Benedict was reffing a game at Georgia Southern earlier this season. I sit directly courtside, and at a quiet moment late in the game, I yelled, "Bruce! Boozer was fouled!" Of course, the GS fans surrounding me had no idea what I was going on about, and Bruce only cut his eyes at me. But he knew. I'm sure of it. It still stings, but yelling at Bruce made me feel at least 0.02% better. :D

Bravo jacone! You are my kind of guy!!!

royalblue
03-08-2016, 10:13 AM

It makes me feel better knowing you did that also

madscavenger
03-10-2016, 04:45 AM
Sorry, I think UConn in the 2004 Final Four takes the honor of worst screw job by the stripes ever. We had that game in the bag, despite the horrendous officiating, until the final 3 minutes where our guys were mauled with no foul calls. On one possession, JJ drove from the wing into the lane just below the foul line, and when he went up for the mid-range jumper, the defender hammered down across BOTH of his arms, causing the ball to go flying and leading to an easy two points for UConn. We were either up 8 or 6 at that point, not sure. So a 4 point swing. Instead of JJ going to the line to push it back to 8 or up to 10, UConn gets a layup. It was disgusting.

Our first, second, and third string centers all fouled out of the game, despite Shelden sitting large portions due to the foul trouble. Shav played the game of his career until the refs sent him to the bench as well, leaving only Horvath, who also fouled out in like 6 or 7 minutes of game action. Michael Thompson, Michael Thompson... son... had you only stuck it out the entire season, rather than bailing at Christmas, maybe, just maybe, you are the difference in that game, and K/DUke is sitting on 6 Titles right now. No way GaTech was gonna beat us in the title game.

Newt_14

2004, definitely. And the zebras, painful, much too painful; The game, i don't want to discuss it. My blood is boiling as i type.

But there was adulterated frosting commensurate with the cake. i remember hordes of obnoxious, drunken Michigan State fans (so what else is new - at least they're not prone to hooliganism, like at Maryland). Not fun, but fair enough.

The next morning my wife tried to calm me down by dragging me off to the Dali Museum in St Pete. Her idea was to siphon off some of the anger; subtraction by distraction. Let Freud deal with it. Not wanting to escalate the situation and end up spending the afternoon at a library with a bunch of old farts (i was a mere medium fart at the time), i refrained from playing the Adler card and humored her. Then the meltdown. The Persistence of Memory. That's what happened, the refs had Persistence of Memory. And we lost. And i lost it.

i needed solace, a start anyway, so i took the first steps: (1) Instead of heading back north, we spent Monday night rooting for Tech at the game, (2) promised myself i would never, ever step foot in Florida again, and (3) took an oath that if i ever stole a laptop, i would engrave something like "2004 National Champs" on the bottom and call the NCAA and rat out that SOB holding court in the northeast. A start, i thought. A FALSE START - damn zebras! 2004, definitely.

hsheffield
03-10-2016, 06:30 AM
I've said this before, but a friend (who was an ACC ref. and UNC fan) told me that the crew that called the 2004 game was called on the carpet by whatever organization supervises them. I also kind of remember his telling me 2004 was used in a video given to refs as an example of 'how not to call a game.'
However, I could be making that up....it's been a long time since we talked about it.

I remember being heartbroken by 2002-but I felt like we played a significant part in the loss. In 2004, I was just mad. It seemed like there was nothing we could have done to win that game. We wuz robbed.

DU82
03-10-2016, 06:35 AM
2004, definitely. And the zebras, painful, much too painful; The game, i don't want to discuss it. My blood is boiling as i type.

But there was adulterated frosting commensurate with the cake. i remember hordes of obnoxious, drunken Michigan State fans (so what else is new - at least they're not prone to hooliganism, like at Maryland). Not fun, but fair enough.

The next morning my wife tried to calm me down by dragging me off to the Dali Museum in St Pete. Her idea was to siphon off some of the anger; subtraction by distraction. Let Freud deal with it. Not wanting to escalate the situation and end up spending the afternoon at a library with a bunch of old farts (i was a mere medium fart at the time), i refrained from playing the Adler card and humored her. Then the meltdown. The Persistence of Memory. That's what happened, the refs had Persistence of Memory. And we lost. And i lost it.

i needed solace, a start anyway, so i took the first steps: (1) Instead of heading back north, we spent Monday night rooting for Tech at the game, (2) promised myself i would never, ever step foot in Florida again, and (3) took an oath that if i ever stole a laptop, i would engrave something like "2004 National Champs" on the bottom and call the NCAA and rat out that SOB holding court in the northeast. A start, i thought. A FALSE START - damn zebras! 2004, definitely.

2004 was in San Antonio. Are you remembering 1999 in St. Pete instead?

diablesseblu
03-10-2016, 08:09 AM
I've said this before, but a friend (who was an ACC ref. and UNC fan) told me that the crew that called the 2004 game was called on the carpet by whatever organization supervises them. I also kind of remember his telling me 2004 was used in a video given to refs as an example of 'how not to call a game.'
However, I could be making that up...it's been a long time since we talked about it.

I remember being heartbroken by 2002-but I felt like we played a significant part in the loss. In 2004, I was just mad. It seemed like there was nothing we could have done to win that game. We wuz robbed.

Sure hope it's true that the crew calling that game was reprimanded. I was so agitated, I left my seat before the end of the game. (Thought I might have a heart attack.)

My family was upset with me that I left, but I did have a nice chat with Skip Prosser on the concourse. He said, "guess you couldn't bear to watch that either?"

madscavenger
03-10-2016, 01:25 PM
2004 was in San Antonio. Are you remembering 1999 in St. Pete instead?

i am, in fact, an old fart now (i think), Exhibit A: mixed nightmares your honor.

We attended 7 Final 4's, the 5 Championships and terrible two, '99 and '04.

1999 was the wound, Dali and the Spartans, Disney and the gators and the as yet uncharged coach with a weekend pass.

2004 was the rip off. It ripped off the scab that never healed. Therein a festering ulcer resides, the seedling source of never ending pain. And the laptop? i plead not guilty. i wuzn't there (i think).

2004, definitely. DAM ZEBRAS!!