PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. the Cheatin' Cretins Over Yonder (Sat, 6:30 pm, ESPN)

JBDuke
03-03-2016, 01:57 PM
That team comes to Cameron this Saturday for the final regular-season game of this season. That means it's Marshall's last game at home, and possibly Brandon's, Grayson's, and Amile's as well. The game will be broadcast at 6:30 pm on ESPN.

Here's the goduke.com preview:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210768795&DB_OEM_ID=4200

mattman91
03-03-2016, 01:59 PM
That team comes to Cameron this Saturday for the final regular-season game of this season. That means it's Marshall's last game at home, and possibly Brandon's, Grayson's, and Amile's as well. The game will be broadcast at 6:30 pm on ESPN.

Here's the goduke.com preview:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210768795&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I liked "morally repugnant bastards" a little more, but this will do.

GTHC!

moonpie23
03-03-2016, 02:05 PM
9F

sweeping the baby blue would be awesome like a hot dog... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyVZ6rGzMtY)

this is our "down year".......and they're already butt-hurt over the loss over at the dump...

GO DUKE!!!!!!

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-03-2016, 02:06 PM
My hot take:

This is going to be a tough game, not sure if we are still favored but at one point we were which seems weird to me. I guess home court accounts for a lot. But in this Rivalry not so much.

If we win we can prevent the Holes from winning a share of the ACC regular season and mess up their seeding for both tourneys, which i don't know if the coaches talk about these things but thats a pretty big deal.

Also we assure ourselves a double bye which would be nice.

Hopefully our guys come out with that in mind, leave it all on the court and rest up until next Thursday. That would do wonders for our chances in DC.

Keys to the game:

Limit Brice Johnson

Limit Three pointers

Rebound, don't allow second and third shots

Brandon Ingram- will he get back to himself and start dominating games again

Can Jeter give us good minutes?

Can Marshall stay out of foul trouble and keep us in the game inside.

If its a close game I like our chances down the stretch. Roy will second guess himself and be thinking about the debacle in chapel hill.

Lets Go Duke

jv001
03-03-2016, 02:08 PM
My hot take:

This is going to be a tough game, not sure if we are still favored but at one point we were which seems weird to me. I guess home court accounts for a lot. But in this Rivalry not so much.

If we win we can prevent the Holes from winning a share of the ACC regular season and mess up their seeding for both tourneys, which i don't know if the coaches talk about these things but thats a pretty big deal.

Hopefully our guys come out with that in mind, leave it all on the court and rest up until next Thursday. That would do wonders for our chances in DC.

Keys to the game:

Limit Brice Johnson

Limit Three pointers

If its a close game I like our chances down the stretch. Roy will second guess himself and be thinking about the debacle in chapel hill.

Lets Go Duke

I bet old roy does not run out of time outs. He'll have some left over for the next game(ACCT). :cool:GoDuke!

Lar77
03-03-2016, 02:14 PM
My hot take:

Keys to the game:

Limit Brice Johnson

Limit Three pointers

Lets Go Duke

Good thoughts AFD.

My concerns about the cheats: Johnson (block him out, deny; MP3 had the right game plan last time and I'm sure they will try to adjust); Hicks (they are using him more and he is responding).

I am confident that our guys will win on the perimeter and Brandon will be strong.

This game will be about heart, and we have more than they do.

devildeac
03-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Good perimeter D WRT shooting %age like we played at the Dump

MP getting a draw on the hand-to-hand combat on the inside.

Mid-season BI.

Luke hitting a few threes and/or FT.

Limit the cheaters in transition.

GA going to the line for a buncha FT, too.

9-effeth.

weezie
03-03-2016, 02:54 PM
I want Duke to shoot the lights out and demolish those tiresome, under-handed, cheatin', ungentlemenly, show-offy, strutting, over-acting donkey-rears.

It's too bad they have to bring their holeian stench into our beautiful Cameron, Temple of Basketball, Castle of Goodness and Light and Much Better Looking Fans.

Crush them.

Lar77
03-03-2016, 02:58 PM
I want Duke to shoot the lights out and demolish those tiresome, under-handed, cheatin', ungentlemenly, show-offy, strutting, over-acting donkey-rears.

It's too bad they have to bring their holeian stench into our beautiful Cameron, Temple of Basketball, Castle of Goodness and Light and Much Better Looking Fans.

Crush them.

A repeat of 2010 would be acceptable.:)

9F9F9F

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2016, 02:59 PM
9F

sweeping the baby blue would be awesome like a hot dog... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyVZ6rGzMtY)

this is our "down year"....and they're already butt-hurt over the loss over at the dump...

GO DUKE!!!!!!

What does 'butt hurt' mean? I like that phrase. Definitely going to start using it despite not fully understanding the meaning.

devildeac
03-03-2016, 02:59 PM

Crush them.

Wisely spoken from the heights of Mt. Hatemore.

devildeac
03-03-2016, 03:02 PM
What does 'butt hurt' mean? I like that phrase. Definitely going to start using it despite not fully understanding the meaning.

At your service:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ButtHurt

Kedsy
03-03-2016, 03:12 PM
This is the 23rd time since Coach K got to Duke that this game has occurred while one of the teams is in the top 10 and the other is ranked but outside the top 10. The better ranked team has won 16 and lost 6 of the previous 22 contests (72.7%). Of the six wins by the lesser ranked team, two have come at home, three have come on the road, and one was in the ACC tournament.

Interestingly enough, of those 22 games only one happened with the better-ranked rival in the lower half of the top 10 (UNC is currently #8 in the AP). In 2007, #14 Duke played at #8 UNC (we lost that game). So, in a way, this game is relatively uncharted territory. In the eight games out of the 22 in which the better-ranked rival was outside the nation's top 3, the better ranked team has won 5 and lost 3 (62.5%).

JNort
03-03-2016, 04:21 PM
My .02 on the game

1) We are Duke
2) They are UNC
3) We got K
4) They got Roy
5) O wait that's it. We obviously win.

O and 9F

devildeac
03-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Somebody mention cheatin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtGM6WBcsX0

Selover
03-03-2016, 04:47 PM

I laughed out loud at this :)

Wahoo2000
03-03-2016, 04:51 PM
FWIW, Kenpom has you guys as a 1 pt favorite at home over the Heels. At this point, with loads of data, he's usually very close to exactly where the line will be. I'd expect (if it hasn't hit already) you guys to open as about a 1.5 point favorite.

Should be a wild one - I'll be watching your game (and Miami-VT) closely on Saturday leading up to our primetime game with Louisville.... hopefully with the conference crown still on the line.

devilseven
03-03-2016, 04:56 PM
Somebody mention cheatin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtGM6WBcsX0

Now if we could only get the band and the crazies and crusties to serenade them with this!

superdave
03-03-2016, 05:01 PM
This is the 23rd time since Coach K got to Duke that this game has occurred while one of the teams is in the top 10 and the other is ranked but outside the top 10. The better ranked team has won 16 and lost 6 of the previous 22 contests (72.7%). Of the six wins by the lesser ranked team, two have come at home, three have come on the road, and one was in the ACC tournament.

Interestingly enough, of those 22 games only one happened with the better-ranked rival in the lower half of the top 10 (UNC is currently #8 in the AP). In 2007, #14 Duke played at #8 UNC (we lost that game). So, in a way, this game is relatively uncharted territory. In the eight games out of the 22 in which the better-ranked rival was outside the nation's top 3, the better ranked team has won 5 and lost 3 (62.5%).

This Unc team is a bit of a weak #8 though. They are 3-3 in games vs ranked opponents this season. Their best wins were early vs Maryland and a recent shellacking of Miami. I think this team is deep, but Roy does not use the depth as well as he should, sitting star players too many minutes. I think this team is talented, but not as talented as we are, and certainly a few of those guys are under-achievers.

I like the recipe of hanging close, staying out of foul trouble, attacking the defensive glass, then pouncing late. We are thin but we will have the two best players on the floor.

jv001
03-03-2016, 05:17 PM

Crush them.

Mike O'Korn, All ACC Ugly. I guess you could say he's a fan now. I'll never forget the Crazies holding up that sign. Let's take two or maybe three from them this year. A year when they were suppose to be the Number 1 team in the land. GoDuke!

BlueDevilBrowns
03-03-2016, 05:49 PM
The key to me is taking the CHeats best punch and staying in the game.

These games are less about strategy and more about emotion, especially when played at CIS.

The Cheats are going to come out trying to blitz us, build a big lead, and keep a working margin between us and them.

If Duke can absorb that initial burst of energy from them and keep it close, the Heels will start to feel game pressure and fold as they are mentally soft and emotionally fragile.

moonpie23
03-03-2016, 06:01 PM

An inappropriately strong negative emotional response from a perceived personal insult. Characterized by strong feelings of shame. Frequently associated with a cessation of communication and overt hostility towards the "aggressor."

DU82
03-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Mike O'Korn, All ACC Ugly. I guess you could say he's a fan now. I'll never forget the Crazies holding up that sign. Let's take two or maybe three from them this year. A year when they were suppose to be the Number 1 team in the land. GoDuke!

Mike O'Koren is a "special assistant" for the Rutgers men's basketball team. He was an assistant last year, but for some reason (didn't like recruiting?) is no longer a coach. Means he sits next to Eddie Jordan during games, and adds steps to his fitbit during the rest of the time. And, he'll likely be out of a job in a week or so when Eddie gets fired for being Rutgers version of Sidney Lowe.

timmy c
03-03-2016, 07:55 PM
Mike O'Koren is a "special assistant" for the Rutgers men's basketball team. He was an assistant last year, but for some reason (didn't like recruiting?) is no longer a coach. Means he sits next to Eddie Jordan during games, and adds steps to his fitbit during the rest of the time. And, he'll likely be out of a job in a week or so when Eddie gets fired for being Rutgers version of Sidney Lowe.

This is an insult to Sidney Lowe. At least Lowe brought in D-1 talent.

NM Duke Fan
03-03-2016, 08:00 PM
I will be away from a TV. Does anybody know for sure if this will also be shown on the ACC website, as was the recent wake forest game? Looking at that website it is uncelar to me whether or not it will be available there, as well as ESPN. Or is it the case if a game is on ESPN then the ACC network online can not show it as well? Thanks for any info.

ncexnyc
03-03-2016, 08:12 PM
It will be interesting to see if Ol' Roy starts the same five he did in the first game or if he uses the five that demolished Miami.
While their large line-up hurts us on the boards we were able to take advantage of their bigs with our superior mobility.

It seems like the first time around he tried to protect Johnson by having Hicks chase Ingram and Luke around and both players were able to abuse Hicks. Does he roll the dice and put the more mobile Johnson on Ingram and hope that his kid can stay out of foul trouble?

We'll need contributions from all of our players, just like in the first game. We can't afford another stinker from Luke and Derryck. When both of these kids contribute it makes life alot easier for both Grayson and Brandon.

Newton_14
03-03-2016, 08:38 PM
It will be interesting to see if Ol' Roy starts the same five he did in the first game or if he uses the five that demolished Miami.
While their large line-up hurts us on the boards we were able to take advantage of their bigs with our superior mobility.

It seems like the first time around he tried to protect Johnson by having Hicks chase Ingram and Luke around and both players were able to abuse Hicks. Does he roll the dice and put the more mobile Johnson on Ingram and hope that his kid can stay out of foul trouble?

We'll need contributions from all of our players, just like in the first game. We can't afford another stinker from Luke and Derryck. When both of these kids contribute it makes life alot easier for both Grayson and Brandon.
Agreed and it will be interesting to see how K plays it on the other end. Last time we started Brandon on Johnson and MP3 on Meeks, but down the stretch put MP3 on Johnson and Brandon on Meeks. That worked much better. Meeks has been in the doghouse though, with Hicks and even Maye getting more minutes. (gosh roy please please please play Maye lots of minutes)

The key to the game is our shooting on offense, and rebounding on defense. We have to limit the volleyball game the cheats can turn it into easily. When shots go up we cant rim watch. We have to turn and look for guys trying to fly in for stickbacks/dunks, and put a butt hurt on them boxing out. Make them score legitimately in the halfcourt on the first shot or not at all.

We absolutely though cannot shoot the ball like we did against Pitt and Wake. Somebody has to help Grayson. He is going to get his. He needs help from others.

Pghdukie
03-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Can - NO - WILL the Crazies be up to the challenge? I'm serious. It will take a total team effort to succeed. Every coach,player,student, fan, usher, whatever, must bring their "A" game.
GTHCTH

JBDuke
03-03-2016, 11:45 PM
I will be away from a TV. Does anybody know for sure if this will also be shown on the ACC website, as was the recent wake forest game? Looking at that website it is uncelar to me whether or not it will be available there, as well as ESPN. Or is it the case if a game is on ESPN then the ACC network online can not show it as well? Thanks for any info.

This is an ESPN-only game - no ACC network. However, you should be able to watch it via WatchESPN, if I'm interpreting this link correctly:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/upcoming/startDate/20160305/sport/basketball/

Henderson
03-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Any word on what recruits, other than Kevin Knox, are expected to be at the game?

moonpie23
03-04-2016, 09:16 AM
ol Roy in mike and mike talking about all the blood that's been shed by holes in the rivalry. brought up montross and the clean block by Henderson.

BluDvlsN1
03-04-2016, 11:44 AM
9F

this is our "down year"...and they're already butt-hurt over the loss over at the dump...

GO DUKE!!!!!!

And this is their up year and a sweep this year would be back to back sweeps.

Nothing would be finer than a Meltdown at IC!

killerleft
03-04-2016, 12:22 PM
ol Roy in mike and mike talking about all the blood that's been shed by holes in the rivalry. brought up montross and the clean block by Henderson.

There'd have been more if that chickin-chip Matt Doherty hadn't back-pedaled with such aplomb to evade Andre Buckner!:p

NM Duke Fan
03-04-2016, 12:40 PM
This is an ESPN-only game - no ACC network. However, you should be able to watch it via WatchESPN, if I'm interpreting this link correctly:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/upcoming/startDate/20160305/sport/basketball/

Thanks for the responise. One has to have ESPN on their home cable package, and I do not. It it were on ESPN3 then I could see it. Looks like I will miss the game, unless I can get back to a town with a bar from out in the mountains. We will see ...

grad_devil
03-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Too bad we can't be the Cheats so bad on Saturday that it will count as 2 losses.

Unless that's the case, the Cheats will avoid their first double-digit loss season since 2011-2012, since they currently only have 6 losses. At maximum, they'll end the season with 9 losses.

'Tis a shame, really. Hopefully we can look forward to that streak beginning anew next year, with no end in sight.

Billy Dat
03-04-2016, 03:54 PM
I was listening to the most recent CBS Eye on College Basketball podcast and Gary Parrish was comparing this game to the second game in 2012 due to the parallelism of Duke winning the first game in shocking and unexpected fashion against a favored home UNC team only to have UNC come into Cameron and beat Duke soundly. As an aside, Parrish actually picked Duke to win Saturday, and the pod also has a nice discussion of Jim Larranaga and Miami (this is the 10 year anniversary of the George Mason FF run) and a talk about how badly most conferences do in selecting "Coach of the Year" each year (with more commentary about how K has done a great job this year and what a joke it is that he's only won ACC COY 5 times in 36 years)...but I digress...

I, too, considered 2012, especially how embarrassing that loss was for UNC, but I don't think this UNC is as good as that year and I think we have a different level of toughness. Win or lose, I don't want to hit these boards afterwards and have myself, and many others, saying "We're exhausted!" By that, I hope we fight like heck the whole time and don't look tired, even if we are.

UNC has been pretty mercurial, 5-4 since the start of February. I've seen Vegas lines with Duke as a 1 point favorite. Their offensive efficiency has crept above ours in KenPom (3 vs 4), their defense is KenPom 40 to our 94.

-Can we limit their offensive rebounding and second chance points?
-Will we shoot well?
-Can we get to the line against their size?
-Will their guards stink up the joint again, especially down the stretch? The ghost of Marcus Paige haunts - surely he won't remain a ghost until he graduates?
-As other have said, can Derryck and Luke give us some offensive punch
-Will Roy make up for past mistakes and keep trying to get Johnson paint touches until his hands are raw?

I am glad we don't have to wait until 9, and I bet the players are too. If we're so tired, the earlier we start the better. ;^)

GTHC GTHC 9F 9F 9mofoF!!!!!!!!!!!!

luvdahops
03-04-2016, 04:00 PM
I, too, considered 2012, especially how embarrassing that loss was for UNC, but I don't think this UNC is as good as that year and I think we have a different level of toughness. Win or lose, I don't want to hit these boards afterwards and have myself, and many others, saying "We're exhausted!" By that, I hope we fight like heck the whole time and don't look tired, even if we are.

That UNC team featured 7 future NBA players - the starting 5 of Zeller, Henson, Barnes, Bullock and Marshall plus PJ Hairston and JMM. I doubt this UNC team has more than 1 (Johnson).

And we definitely have a different level of toughness this year, not to mention much better chemistry.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-05-2016, 08:49 AM
This is one of the shorter pre-game threads of the season, it seems. Probably because of all the activity on the 9F thread, the scandal thread, the "will he/won't he" Amile thread, and the Grayson threads that all touch on parts of tonight's game.

I love our chances tonight. The separation between our teams is minimal, we have a much better coach, we are playing at home, and it is senior night.

Predictions, apropos of nothing:

NCAA CHAMPION AJ starts and plays a few minutes, gets deserved standing ovation. Sends all teams scouting Duke back to the drawing board.

NCAA CHAMPION MP3 gets himself a double-double, ending the illustrious Plumlee dynasty at Duke

NCAA CHAMPION Grayson Allen gets fouled often and hard on his way to 30 points. Announces post-game his intentions to return next year

NCAA CHAMPION Nate James locks down Justin Jackson and drops 4 three pointers on the Tar Heels

Ingram has a quiet 16 points, deferring to the veterans.

To avoid potential post-game criticism, Roy Williams uses all his time outs before the 16 minute mark of the first half.

After the game, Marcus Paige releases a moving, well-writted essay about how much each Duke/UNC game has meant to him personally, closing the fifteen page report with the admission that he truly wishes he had played for Coach K.

Final score, Duke 101, UNC 16.

MChambers
03-05-2016, 09:45 AM
This is one of the shorter pre-game threads of the season, it seems. Probably because of all the activity on the 9F thread, the scandal thread, the "will he/won't he" Amile thread, and the Grayson threads that all touch on parts of tonight's game.

I love our chances tonight. The separation between our teams is minimal, we have a much better coach, we are playing at home, and it is senior night.

NCAA CHAMPION AJ starts and plays a few minutes, gets deserved standing ovation. Sends all teams scouting Duke back to the drawing board.

NCAA CHAMPION MP3 gets himself a double-double, ending the illustrious Plumlee dynasty at Duke

NCAA CHAMPION Grayson Allen gets fouled often and hard on his way to 30 points. Announces post-game his intentions to return next year

NCAA CHAMPION Nate James locks down Justin Jackson and drops 4 three pointers on the Tar Heels

To avoid potential post-game criticism, Roy Williams uses all his time outs before the 16 minute mark of the first half.

After the game, Marcus Paige releases a moving, well-writted essay about how much each Duke/UNC game has meant to him personally, closing the fifteen page report with the admission that he truly wishes he had played for Coach K.

Pretty much how I see it, too. Good excuse to bump this back to the top.

Henderson
03-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Duke opened as a 1 point favorite in Vegas, but this morning Duke is a 1 to 1.5 point underdog. I can't remember the last time Duke was a home underdog.

And FWIW, Amile is listed as "out".

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Duke opened as a 1 point favorite in Vegas, but this morning Duke is a 1 to 1.5 point underdog. I can't remember the last time Duke was a home underdog.

That just makes it a bigger surprise!

Indoor66
03-05-2016, 10:07 AM

They got 16? Where the hell was the defense? It's over!

jv001
03-05-2016, 10:48 AM

Duke now a 2.5 point underdog. Did the bookies think that Amile was going to play and now have learned he's out? GoDuke!

Henderson
03-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Duke now a 2.5 point underdog. Did the bookies think that Amile was going to play and now have learned he's out? GoDuke!

For those of you who like to follow this stuff, here's an aggregation link for the various Vegas lines, which vary a bit from book to book: http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/.

They're updated in real time, more or less.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-05-2016, 10:57 AM

By the way, if Amile is the only one of my predictions that is wrong, I can handle that.

jmck214
03-05-2016, 10:59 AM
Jay will can't take UNC on gameday right? I know my head might explode if I see him rocking a UNC jersey in Cameron. Both he and Bilas seem to go out of their way to not show any Duke bias when picking games but that would be sacrilegious. Unlike Hubert Davis picking UNC over Duke on senior day 2010 when everyone knew that game wasn't going to be close

CoSprings
03-05-2016, 12:16 PM

Outside of all the time spent gathering these stats, none of them has any bearing whatsoever on this game tonight. K has always said the past has zero impact on the current game. So, regardless of streaks or rankings or where the game is played, what matters is what actually happens on the court tonight. What matters is can we block out Johnson, can Paige continue his shooting struggles and can we hit 3's. That is what matters tonight. Not all these meaningless stats.

DukieInKansas
03-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Outside of all the time spent gathering these stats, none of them has any bearing whatsoever on this game tonight. K has always said the past has zero impact on the current game. So, regardless of streaks or rankings or where the game is played, what matters is what actually happens on the court tonight. What matters is can we block out Johnson, can Paige continue his shooting struggles and can we hit 3's. That is what matters tonight. Not all these meaningless stats.

This is all true but we have to do something while waiting for the tip off. I bet the poster only had to wade through records three cinder blocks high to compile the data. :D

Troublemaker
03-05-2016, 12:48 PM

Nope. Just lots and lots of wagers on UNC. Not surprising, imo. Even among Duke fans I know, the prevailing mood is that this one will be tough. I think everyone thinks we've got dead legs, and they may be right.

Hopefully our team can surprise everyone again.

Newton_14
03-05-2016, 01:22 PM

People thought we needed a bunch of 3's in game one to beat them and that turned out to not be the case. Agree we need to shoot well, but we don't need to rely on 3 pointers to beat them.

Their Interior is superior to ours and our perimeter is superior to theirs. So we have to beat their perimeter guys by a larger margin than they beat our interior guys to win.

Last time they could not stop our penetration without fouling.

If we make shots at a good %, and limit their 2nd chance points we will win. Otherwise we will lose. Agree with Vegas that the game is basically a toss up.

timmy c
03-05-2016, 01:34 PM

I just checked and Duke is now 2.5 point dog. Lots of money taking UNC to win. Go Duke!

oops looks like jvoo1 beat me to it.

Saratoga2
03-05-2016, 02:25 PM

Have we learned by this point in the season that we need to put a body on someone to keep them from a free path to the rebound. We did a terrible job on Johnson in the first game and they scored 52 points in the paint. If we can limit their rebounds and shoot well we have a decent chance.

jipops
03-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Just keep it close, stay healthy, and get to the ACCT well rested. That's all I'm asking for. A win today would be gravy.

Since the 2nd Louisville game we've looked like a tired team out there. I think that helps explain the low fg% and dip in defense. Hopefully our guys' legs have a little more life to them today.

sbroc012
03-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Just out of curiosity, anyone know the prospects of landing a ticket outside CIS for this game, if I were to decide to go last minute?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Have we learned by this point in the season that we need to put a body on someone to keep them from a free path to the rebound. We did a terrible job on Johnson in the first game and they scored 52 points in the paint. If we can limit their rebounds and shoot well we have a decent chance.

As a reminder, my pregame thoughts last game were:

- gotta hit threes (we didn't)
- gotta keep MP3 out of fouls (we didn't)
- gotta crash the boards (we didn't)
- gotta stay healthy (nope)

Still not sure how we came out on top. It's true, stats and figures rarely tell the story of this game.

Sixthman
03-05-2016, 02:57 PM
Nope. Just lots and lots of wagers on UNC. Not surprising, imo. Even among Duke fans I know, the prevailing mood is that this one will be tough. I think everyone thinks we've got dead legs, and they may be right.

Hopefully our team can surprise everyone again.

I think there is a Duke fan base consensus that all of the freshman in the rotation other than Thornton have hit the freshman wall. That's half the team. They look mentally tired as well as physically. However, we know this is a tough group with a lot of heart. I'm betting win or lose we are going to feel good about the guys today.

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-05-2016, 03:02 PM
With Notre Dame win over State, it appears that a win tonite is needed to secure the double bye next week.

DukieInBrasil
03-05-2016, 03:56 PM
I think there is a Duke fan base consensus that all of the freshman in the rotation other than Thornton have hit the freshman wall. That's half the team. They look mentally tired as well as physically. However, we know this is a tough group with a lot of heart. I'm betting win or lose we are going to feel good about the guys today.

From the eyeball test (at least the ones connected to my head), Thornton has played just as if not more poorly recently, compared to his peak performances a month or so ago, as the other Fr. compared to their peaks. Thornton's shot selection has been bad, he has lots more turns than assists lately. OTOH, his D has continued to be solid and his balhandling prowess has not wavered. Perhaps it's focus, perhaps it's legs, perhaps it's "the Fr. Wall", but whatever it is, it's been affecting Derryck just as much or more than the other Fr.

Would love to see Duke sneak out another soul crushing defeat on the Cheats!

peace
Aaron

Coballs
03-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Jay will can't take UNC on gameday right? I know my head might explode if I see him rocking a UNC jersey in Cameron. Both he and Bilas seem to go out of their way to not show any Duke bias when picking games but that would be sacrilegious. Unlike Hubert Davis picking UNC over Duke on senior day 2010 when everyone knew that game wasn't going to be close

Unfortunately he did. He tried to be funny about it and organized a silly skit with some fans, but he did wear a Carolina shirt in Cameron. Meh. Hopefully the boys prove him very wrong today.

Doria
03-05-2016, 04:43 PM
NCAA CHAMPION Nate James locks down Justin Jackson and drops 4 three pointers on the Tar Heels.

This would be awesome! I love Nate James!

superdave
03-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Just keep it close, stay healthy, and get to the ACCT well rested. That's all I'm asking for. A win today would be gravy.

Since the 2nd Louisville game we've looked like a tired team out there. I think that helps explain the low fg% and dip in defense. Hopefully our guys' legs have a little more life to them today.

No way! Win tonight then rest up for the NCAAT!

Bob Green
03-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Keys to the Game:

1. Neutralize Marcus Paige
2. Block out Brice Johnson to keep him off the offensive glass
3. Make 3s, make lots of 3s
4. Stay out of foul trouble

DukeFanSince1990
03-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Keys to the Game:

1. Neutralize Marcus Paige
2. Block out Brice Johnson to keep him off the offensive glass
3. Make 3s, make lots of 3s
4. Stay out of foul trouble

Just that alone would be tremendous. But the others are correct too.

-jk
03-05-2016, 05:41 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

riverside6
03-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/UNC, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/unc-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-03052016

rocketeli
03-05-2016, 06:22 PM
omg those trousers!

Karl Beem
03-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Horrendous shooting. Not just missing, but missing badly.

jipops
03-05-2016, 06:52 PM
This is painful to watch. We're already playing like we're tired.

duke blue brewcrew
03-05-2016, 07:19 PM
One that maybe covers team rebounding and boxing out.

6th Man
03-05-2016, 07:21 PM
Rebounding disparity is unreal. Feels like Duke should be down by much more than 8. Ingram should be fresh for the second half. He's going to have to board like a mad man.

Tripping William
03-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Hangin' 'round. Seems familiar.

Kfanarmy
03-05-2016, 07:45 PM
Team has lost it on offense...can't start every half this woeful.

gurufrisbee
03-05-2016, 07:56 PM
I love that you know this team is going to battle you.

DUKEinFW
03-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Grayson Allen for president

Lulu
03-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Felt like we had a lot better chance to win this one than the last one. Really disappointed. Saved the best effort for the very end... and of course the holes couldn't miss a free throw.