PDA

View Full Version : K 1:10PM press conference?

Billy Dat
03-03-2016, 01:14 PM
I went to GoDuke to see the "Scheyer explains the transition offense" video and see that there is a K press conference at 1:10PM...I am trying to join it now...anyone know what it's about? An Amile announcement maybe?

Billy Dat
03-03-2016, 01:20 PM
I guess it's just pre UNC presser...sorry for the drama

Tom B.
03-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Nothing about Amile yet. Saying some really nice things about Marshall, though.

"He's probably been our most important player this year."

Billy Dat
03-03-2016, 01:45 PM
Fun to listen to K express Steph Curry AWE!

Tom B.
03-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Here's a video of Coach K's press conference:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=5111798&db_oem_id=4200

kAzE
03-03-2016, 04:25 PM
I wonder if Coach K is gonna let Steph shoot those same shots that he has routinely taken this season as a team USA player this summer. Team USA shouldn't need those, as we can probably get just about any shot we want, but if Steph is wide open in transition, he's gotta have the green light from at least 28 feet and in, right?

MCFinARL
03-03-2016, 04:29 PM
I wonder if Coach K is gonna let Steph shoot those same shots that he has routinely taken this season as a team USA player this summer. Team USA shouldn't need those, as we can probably get just about any shot we want, but if Steph is wide open in transition, he's gotta have the green light from at least 28 feet and in, right?

On my team, Steph would have the green light from the locker room.

Indoor66
03-03-2016, 04:43 PM
On my team, Steph would have the green light from the locker room.

What you talkin about? How about the parking lot! Steph is unbelievable. I watched him take apart the Heat and hit one from 35' as if it was a layup.

Olympic Fan
03-03-2016, 05:12 PM
The only hard news I heard was that Matt's ankle -- which he tweaked late in the Wake game -- is okay. Interesting that it was the "other" ankle, not the one that sidelined him against Louisville.

I liked his take about the double bye -- the only reason K is interested in winning the double bye is that it means that Duke would have beaten UNC Saturday: "If we win Saturday, I don't care if we play Tuesday."

A very powerful and emotional defense of Grayson ... impossible to summarize, but I'd strongly suggest you listen to the presser (it's 28 minutes long).

chrishoke
03-03-2016, 05:47 PM
That press conference was a pure joy!

weezie
03-03-2016, 06:07 PM

I think K will allow Steph to sit up front and turn on the siren if Steph so chooses. K deserves to lean back and enjoy the show.

Indoor66
03-03-2016, 06:24 PM
I think K will allow Steph to sit up front and turn on the siren if Steph so chooses. K deserves to lean back and enjoy the show.

I'll bet he will even get to pick the restaurant. :cool:

Pghdukie
03-03-2016, 07:12 PM
Best line I thought was " who's your favorite Plumlee ?" and K responds " the Mother! And the father's not to bad either!"

Newton_14
03-03-2016, 08:55 PM
That press conference was a pure joy!
Indeed it was. I watched the entire thing. It is such a joy to watch that man talk. I have said it many times but it bears repeating... I can watch a presser with almost any coach in the land and when asked a question, I can predict 80% or more of what their reply to the question will be. With K, I never know how he will answer, and I always always learn something new, or look at something from a totally different angle than I would have based on his answer. He just sees things normal coaches do not see... in the simple things and the complex.

The way he handled the two discussions on Grayson (Phase 1- Is Grayson's personality similar to Redick & Laettner? >Laura Keeley) (Phase 2- Question on trip gate), was remarkable. I loved one thing he shared in the presser that he said to Grayson after the Pitt game. K told him "You were not you in the Pitt game. You had zero fouls. That is not you. Don't let other people steal you from you" K also said "We are not going to allow people to define who Grayson is by those two things.". K also pointed out something that a lot of us had pointed out as well, that being the ref in the FSU game saw in its entirety what transpired between Grayson and XMR, and with that, called nothing, and spoke to XMR (but also to Grayson). Basically a "Cut it out guys. Game is over anyway" type talking to.

Finally, K also said that trip gate distracted not only Grayson, but his teammates and the staff, mainly because they were all collectively incredulous over how much attention it got on "media" and it absolutely impacted the performance at Pitt. He brought up Grayson getting elbowed in the mouth at Louisville and asked the reporters how many people across the land even know the name of the kid that hit Grayson.

Lots of other good stuff as well, including describing the similarities between Redick/Laettner/Grayson, and his commentary on Curry.

Well worth the 28 minutes...

Henderson
03-04-2016, 10:58 AM
Indeed it was. I watched the entire thing. It is such a joy to watch that man talk. I have said it many times but it bears repeating... I can watch a presser with almost any coach in the land and when asked a question, I can predict 80% or more of what their reply to the question will be. With K, I never know how he will answer, and I always always learn something new, or look at something from a totally different angle than I would have based on his answer. He just sees things normal coaches do not see... in the simple things and the complex.

The way he handled the two discussions on Grayson (Phase 1- Is Grayson's personality similar to Redick & Laettner? >Laura Keeley) (Phase 2- Question on trip gate), was remarkable. I loved one thing he shared in the presser that he said to Grayson after the Pitt game. K told him "You were not you in the Pitt game. You had zero fouls. That is not you. Don't let other people steal you from you" K also said "We are not going to allow people to define who Grayson is by those two things.". K also pointed out something that a lot of us had pointed out as well, that being the ref in the FSU game saw in its entirety what transpired between Grayson and XMR, and with that, called nothing, and spoke to XMR (but also to Grayson). Basically a "Cut it out guys. Game is over anyway" type talking to.

Finally, K also said that trip gate distracted not only Grayson, but his teammates and the staff, mainly because they were all collectively incredulous over how much attention it got on "media" and it absolutely impacted the performance at Pitt. He brought up Grayson getting elbowed in the mouth at Louisville and asked the reporters how many people across the land even know the name of the kid that hit Grayson.

Lots of other good stuff as well, including describing the similarities between Redick/Laettner/Grayson, and his commentary on Curry.

Well worth the 28 minutes...

Agreed -- worth the time. In addition to the above, K made some really nice comments about MP3's contribution to the team and his impact/conditioning. His discussion about setting up the program before he retires was pretty interesting.

When Coach K is riffing like he did in this presser, it must be tough on reporters looking for quotes. Sometimes he speaks like James Joyce wrote. It's all good stuff, but it's gotta be hard to write up quotes without brackets and ellipses.