PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Allen named second-team Academic All-American

Tom B.
03-03-2016, 12:17 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=210767887

Marcus Paige from UNC is on the first team. No other ACC representatives.

elvis14
03-03-2016, 03:02 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=210767887

Marcus Paige from UNC is on the first team. No other ACC representatives.

Did the voters get confused and think that this was Marcus' sophomore season? What the heck?

dukelifer
03-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Did the voters get confused and think that this was Marcus' sophomore season? What the heck?

Isn't Paige the first basketball player to survive UNC's new academic standard for athletes of actually having to take classes? That has to count for something.

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2016, 03:11 PM

What is first vs second vs third? GPA? Bball results? Reputation? Name out of a hat?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-03-2016, 03:18 PM

Did you miss the "academic" part of the headline? By all account, Paige is a very studious kid.

elvis14
03-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Did you miss the "academic" part of the headline? By all account, Paige is a very studious kid.

I understand that but if Grayson's academics are good enough to land him on the second team I just don't see any way you put Marcus (2 fer 12) Paige ahead of Grayson.

MCFinARL
03-03-2016, 04:28 PM
I understand that but if Grayson's academics are good enough to land him on the second team I just don't see any way you put Marcus (2 fer 12) Paige ahead of Grayson.

Since it's done by voting and detailed criteria, if any, are behind a CoSida membership firewall, there's no way to know, but it's at least possible that Paige outranks Allen on the academic side of the honor and that is why he is first team. Also possible that, since award eligibility is based on cumulative GPA, seniors who qualify earn more weight for that than sophomores.

Of course, it's also possible that the voting members are doing the athletic part of their voting based on reputation rather than current year results, leading to this outcome. I suspect people who have been paying attention would agree that Grayson's play this year has been more productive than Marcus's; we just don't know how big a role that plays in these selections.

TruBlu
03-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Since it's done by voting and detailed criteria, if any, are behind a CoSida membership firewall, there's no way to know, but it's at least possible that Paige outranks Allen on the academic side of the honor and that is why he is first team. Also possible that, since award eligibility is based on cumulative GPA, seniors who qualify earn more weight for that than sophomores.

Of course, it's also possible that the voting members are doing the athletic part of their voting based on reputation rather than current year results, leading to this outcome. I suspect people who have been paying attention would agree that Grayson's play this year has been more productive than Marcus's; we just don't know how big a role that plays in these selections.

Or, perhaps Helms Bakery is in charge of the criteria.

Just kidding. Congrats to both.

mattman91
03-03-2016, 04:45 PM

Too bad his degree will not be worth a roll of Charmin.

MCFinARL
03-03-2016, 04:56 PM
Too bad his degree will not be worth a roll of Charmin.

Which, in Paige's case, really is a shame, since by all accounts he is both smart and studious. That is the hidden cost of the scandal--it will cast a shadow of doubt on the degrees of some who have earned them fair and square.

Furniture
03-03-2016, 09:04 PM
Looking over the ACC basketball site I noticed a link to Marcos Paige speech on his senior night. I took a look out of curiosity. What a smashing kid.
Impressive.