PDA

View Full Version : TV Blu Ray HTMI Questions

SoCalDukeFan
03-01-2016, 06:33 PM
The old 42 inch TV bit the dust and I got a 65 inch Samsung 4K.

Love the 4K picture.

However my old dvd player will not properly connect. I get black and white picture, no sound. So I need a Blu Ray player.
Now I have Apple TV. The TV has apps. I really do not need a Smart Blu Ray player.

Also I get an infrequent drop off off sound. It is minor. Have been told by Samsung and others that the problem probably is in the html connection and I need better cables.

Any suggestions or advice regarding the blu ray and the cables.

Thanks
SoCal

Jim3k
03-01-2016, 07:06 PM
A Sony Blu-Ray DVD player can be had cheaply at Best Buy. ($60 range.) It should come with an HDMI cable. Connect it to one of the HDMI ports on the back of your TV set. Voila! Problem solved.

Most (all?) of them now come with smart TV capability, so it's not a big deal. They are still inexpensive. You can access a number of streaming sites (e.g., Netflix) and if you already have an account, it can be accessed there or through whatever you currently use. (Your new TV can probably do it, too; if so, you can ignore the streaming capability of the Blu-Ray DVD player.)

Your old DVD player has been junk for a while, now.

-jk
03-01-2016, 08:21 PM
A Sony Blu-Ray DVD player can be had cheaply at Best Buy. ($60 range.) It should come with an HDMI cable. Connect it to one of the HDMI ports on the back of your TV set. Voila! Problem solved.

Most (all?) of them now come with smart TV capability, so it's not a big deal. They are still inexpensive. You can access a number of streaming sites (e.g., Netflix) and if you already have an account, it can be accessed there or through whatever you currently use. (Your new TV can probably do it, too; if so, you can ignore the streaming capability of the Blu-Ray DVD player.)

Your old DVD player has been junk for a while, now.

I agree with all of that except the old DVD is still sending valid signals to the TV and the TV isn't adequately decoded them. That's weird, and probably on the TV side...

(And, yes, the easy solution is get a basic, modern blu-ray box and you'll be fine. Even if a Samsung TV is usually solid kit.)

-jk

fuse
03-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Monoprice is your friend for good, inexpensive HDMI cables.