PDA

View Full Version : Where would you watch the Pitt game in Durham?

MartyClark
02-27-2016, 05:31 PM
Odd question, I know. Here's the context.

I'm flying into Durham tomorrow in advance of my first ever game at Cameron, Wake Forest on Tuesday. I'll share my excitement about that on a subsequent Wake-Duke thread.

If the airline cooperates, I should get into downtown Durham at about half time of the Pitt game. I'm meeting my son who, like me, didn't go to Duke and doesn't know Durham well.

Is there a sports bar that is Duke friendly? If it's just Carolina people in the bar or neutral observers, I'll watch the second half at my hotel. If there's a bar where I have a chance of joining a positive Duke experience, I'm in.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

weezie
02-27-2016, 06:00 PM
Devine's good tvs and beer, Satisfaction ditto. Some like Tyler's Taproom but I think the tvs are a tad lacking.

uh_no
02-27-2016, 06:08 PM
Devine's good tvs and beer, Satisfaction ditto. Some like Tyler's Taproom but I think the tvs are a tad lacking.

+carolina ale house
+tobacco road
tylers has a great atmosphere for big games, they usually put it up on a projector in the back....and they have a great beer selection.

Furniture
02-27-2016, 06:12 PM
Odd question, I know. Here's the context.

I'm flying into Durham tomorrow in advance of my first ever game at Cameron, Wake Forest on Tuesday. I'll share my excitement about that on a subsequent Wake-Duke thread.

If the airline cooperates, I should get into downtown Durham at about half time of the Pitt game. I'm meeting my son who, like me, didn't go to Duke and doesn't know Durham well.

Is there a sports bar that is Duke friendly? If it's just Carolina people in the bar or neutral observers, I'll watch the second half at my hotel. If there's a bar where I have a chance of joining a positive Duke experience, I'm in.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I would expect most of Durham bars to be Duke friendly.

MartyClark
02-27-2016, 07:01 PM
Thanks all. I haven't been to Durham for 22 years. I used to represent Durham Life Insurance Company when they got sued in Colorado.

I'm looking forward to the town, the campus and, of course, the Wake game.

Tripping William
02-27-2016, 07:03 PM
If all else fails, I'd bet it's on at the Washington Duke Inn (a/k/a the WaDuke).

ThrowItAround
02-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Tobacco Road has a great vies of the DBAP, Tyler's is good, there is also a Buffalo Wild Wings at SouthPoint if you're looking to do some shopping.

hallcity
02-27-2016, 07:35 PM
Tobacco Road

rsvman
02-27-2016, 08:28 PM
I like Satisfaction.

Newton_14
02-27-2016, 09:08 PM
Tobacco Road

I would vote Tobacco Road for food, cost, tv quality

or Washington Duke if you want a smaller, intimate Duke crowd and don't care how much food and drinks cost...

grad_devil
02-27-2016, 09:11 PM
I like Satisfaction.

I once got in a big brawl at that place, and have been banned for life.

So, in actuality, I can't get no Satisfaction.

Olympic Fan
02-27-2016, 09:38 PM
If you are downtown, I would also suggest Tobacco Road (located just beyond the leftfield wall at the DBAP) ...

weezie
02-27-2016, 10:35 PM
I once got in a big brawl at that place, and have been banned for life.

So, in actuality, I can't get no Satisfaction.

Look at you, you crazy grad_devil man!

Also, WaDu has terrible beers last time I checked. I'd go brawling with grad_devil anywhere else.

Native
02-28-2016, 02:35 AM
I would vote Tobacco Road for food, cost, tv quality

or Washington Duke if you want a smaller, intimate Duke crowd and don't care how much food and drinks cost...

Nail, meet head. Head, meet nail.

TR for the best viewing experience. WaDuke for the best "Duke" experience.

arnie
02-28-2016, 08:03 AM

Also, WaDu has terrible beers last time I checked. I'd go brawling with grad_devil anywhere else.

If you're looking for free beer and don't mind the stench, wear a Pitt jersey and drive over to Top of The Hill at 100 Franklin Street.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-28-2016, 08:34 AM
If you're looking for free beer and don't mind the stench, wear a Pitt jersey and drive over to Top of The Hill at 100 Franklin Street.
When we closed on our home in south Durham many years ago, our closing attorney was in chapel hell. We didn't know them from Adam. Just the attorney our agent used. When the closing was complete, they gave us a coupon for a free meal at that dump. I said without hesitating, "Oh, I assumed you were trying to thank us." And walked out.

kcduke75
02-28-2016, 09:08 AM

Oh, my. The WaDu has awesome "beer drinkers" beer now, Durham's own Fullsteam IPA and Red Oak's (Whitsett NC off 85) awesome seasonal - Battlefield Bock. And it is pricey.

I would recommend Devine's - class of '75.

KCDuke75

uh_no
02-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Oh, my. The WaDu has awesome "beer drinkers" beer now, Durham's own Fullsteam IPA and Red Oak's (Whitsett NC off 85) awesome seasonal - Battlefield Bock. And it is pricey.

I would recommend Devine's - class of '75.

KCDuke75

yeah WD turned it around....I prefer their selection to TR...which is extremely vanilla....and it doesn't seem to ever change.

BLPOG
02-28-2016, 09:55 AM
Most of this has already been mentioned, but here are my suggestions and commentary:

- Devine's: Typical sports bar and all around solid choice. Has large TVs near all seating.
- Satisfaction: I have many great memories at this place (including sitting next to about half the '92 team while they shot part of that ESPN documentary a few years back), and it is a good place to watch a game, but it's a mediocre restaurant. It's across the street from Devine's, so if you decide to watch in the Brightleaf area, just go to Devine's.
- Tyler's Taproom: Located downtown in the American Tobacco district. Great restaurant, great beer selection, but usually not the best place to watch games because the TVs are concentrated in the bar area. If you're fine with sitting at the bar, though, Tyler's is a good choice.
- Tobacco Road: A nicer sports bar & restaurant, located near the ballpark (and also fairly close to Tyler's). Lots of TVs, good food, good beer. Downside is it can get a little packed. I usually have to wait for a table.
- Washington Duke: There is a bar and a dining room and you'd obviously be watching at the bar. I love that place and think it has great beer selections these days, but it's expensive and I don't know that it would be my first choice for watching a game.

There's a reason pretty much everyone has mentioned those options - they're good choices. One more option is to watch at the bar at the Loop restaurant in the Bryan Center on West Campus. It used to be the bar of the Armadillo Grill (RIP) and I loved watching games there. My single experience with the Loop bar was less than exemplary, but that's probably just a product of my cynical reaction to the departure of the 'Dillo.

uh_no
02-28-2016, 02:41 PM
I hope you ended up somewhere with a good whiskey selection....I know what I'd be drinking right now....

weezie
02-28-2016, 04:05 PM
Under a rock.

MartyClark
02-28-2016, 09:42 PM
I hope you ended up somewhere with a good whiskey selection...I know what I'd be drinking right now...

Thanks to all who responded. I listened to the second half of the game driving to my hotel, got lost and didn't see any of the game.

On the positive side, downtown Durham is really interesting. My son, his Duke PhD. candidate friend, and I hit Tobacco Road (sat outside in the sun overlooking the ball park), hit DeVine's (very good recommendation) and had dinner at The Pit. I face the pleasant prospect of whiling away a couple of days before the Wake Forest game.

Go Duke.

weezie
02-28-2016, 11:58 PM
Try Dames Chicken and Waffles.