PDA

View Full Version : Today's Football press conference

jimsumner
10-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Random notes:

Injury situtation. Not good on Chestnutt. Don't expect to see him on the field soon. Bell, Ringfield, Woods, somebody has to step up. TR emphasized Chestnutt's contributions on special teams.

Ryan Radloff still out. Taking longer than expected.

Place-kicking? TR pleased with Maggio, who "attacked the ball" Saturday. Duke would have tried a field goal with NM on Saturday at 17-14 if Duke had gone a little further down the line. When asked if the kicking situtation had stablized, TR laughed "It's still day-to-day, maybe hour-to-hour."

Wake Forest? The expected words of praise. TR resisted calling Wake the model for what Duke is trying to accomplish.

Extended road trip? Not all bad. Fewer distractions. Plane, bus, hotel, game, bus, plane. Chance to focus on football. TR cited improvements but cautioned not to confuse improvement with satisfaction. Not happy with close.

Lots of talk about last-year's close loss to Wake. When asked if it was his toughest loss, TR said "all loses are bad. I've never experienced a good loss." But he did concede that it would take "shock therapy" to get that loss out of his mind.

A win over Wake would be a good win but any win is a good win. "But just one win." Duke may be getting a tad touchy on the Wake-Duke comparisons.

High praise for Cliff Harris, who has worked as scout team QB, worked at DB, switched from TB to fullback. ""Just wants to get his uniform dirty. Will do anything to help the team, anything to get on the field. Great attitude."

Running game coming along but pass protection still a problem.

As is 4th quarter production. Duke perplexed by 4th quarter problems and continues to emphasize making plays with the game on the line. "Got to grow up and find a way to get the job done."

Boyette and Glen Williams were also interviewed. Silly questions about last year's Duke-Wake game. "Where were you and how did you feel when Duke missed the kick?" Guess what? They were on the sidelines and they felt bad.

Williams feels that the Wake game last year lingered the rest of the season, Boyette a bit more guarded. Boyette talked at length about the long road trip, growing together, maturing. Team anxious to show home fans how much they've improved since UConn.

Duke students on fall break. Student attendance might drop from sparse to sub-sparse.

devilirium
10-02-2007, 04:41 PM
^great update. Not having Raphael is a pretty big loss. I think Bell and Kelly can fill in for him on the offensive end, but you can't underestimate special teams.

dukemomLA
10-03-2007, 03:19 AM
Perhaps the problem (hopefully to be rectified soon) is that Duke is not yet as deep as other teams. That takes its toll on players who play minute after minute with no acceptable relief in sight.

Highlander
10-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Perhaps the problem (hopefully to be rectified soon) is that Duke is not yet as deep as other teams. That takes its toll on players who play minute after minute with no acceptable relief in sight.

The fact that we're actually redshirting Freshman now should help with our depth. To me, that is one of the most encouraging signs of our changing football philosophy. I looked online but unfortunately couldn't find any statistics to back me up. Does anyone know how many true/redshirt freshman we've had over the past 2-3 seasons? Only # I could find was from 2002-03 (13/22 redshirt/true).

Bluedawg
10-03-2007, 02:55 PM
The fact that we're actually redshirting Freshman now should help with our depth. To me, that is one of the most encouraging signs of our changing football philosophy. I looked online but unfortunately couldn't find any statistics to back me up. Does anyone know how many true/redshirt freshman we've had over the past 2-3 seasons? Only # I could find was from 2002-03 (13/22 redshirt/true).

I read and interview with TR last year where he said that it is customary to have your starters play 40-45 downs per game but his were having to play 70-75.

SilkyJ
10-03-2007, 03:41 PM
I read and interview with TR last year where he said that it is customary to have your starters play 40-45 downs per game but his were having to play 70-75.

I recall the same interview. Specifically I think he was talking about our defensive (and maybe offensive) linemen. You often hear about defenses getting tired late in games, and no one gets more tired then the guys in the trenches...