PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. FSU (Feb 25, 2016)

JBDuke
02-25-2016, 09:02 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their 80-65 win over Florida State?

wsb3
02-25-2016, 09:10 PM
Marshall..Double/Double & the energy he brought. Even when he got his second foul & was beating on himself because he knew it was a bad foul.

Nice to watch a senior progress over 5 years the way he has..

I really wanted to vote for Jeter but I had to go with Marshall..

mgtr
02-25-2016, 09:17 PM
Marshall all the way. Man, I would hate to be a recruit in Lt. Plumlee's platoon! He would run me ragged!

SCMatt33
02-25-2016, 09:18 PM
Game of Chase's career (so far). Sometimes when a guy is struggling to get in games and looking disjointed in his few opportunities, it can really snowball on you. It looks like being forced into action over the weekend helped and now he's actually found his rhythm a bit. Chase certainly has a long way to go, but his ability to play 5-10 strong minutes is key. I think Chase's big night really helped Marshall out. With under 5 left in the first, Marshall picked up his second and stayed in. On the ensuing possession, he had a clear shot at the rebound, but backed off, afraid of fouling. FSU made a great save on the baseline and hit a big three. He went to the bench at the four minute timeout. For the rest of the game, I think they told Marshall not to worry about the fouls, because he really played freely after that. Knowing that you have a capable sub behind you is such a confidence boost.

Saratoga2
02-25-2016, 09:23 PM
Game of Chase's career (so far). Sometimes when a guy is struggling to get in games and looking disjointed in his few opportunities, it can really snowball on you. It looks like being forced into action over the weekend helped and now he's actually found his rhythm a bit. Chase certainly has a long way to go, but his ability to play 5-10 strong minutes is key. I think Chase's big night really helped Marshall out. With under 5 left in the first, Marshall picked up his second and stayed in. On the ensuing possession, he had a clear shot at the rebound, but backed off, afraid of fouling. FSU made a great save on the baseline and hit a big three. He went to the bench at the four minute timeout. For the rest of the game, I think they told Marshall not to worry about the fouls, because he really played freely after that. Knowing that you have a capable sub behind you is such a confidence boost.

I voted for Marshall as well since he had good numbers and put out a lot of effort. Jeter did have his best game and perhaps even better in the areas of drawing charges and rebounding than Marshall per minute of play. Great to have two bigs who can contribute as well as they did tonight. With Amile, we will have a deep front court.

mapei
02-25-2016, 09:30 PM
Another vote for Marshall here. Such intensity coupled with effectiveness. Several guys played well, and props to Chase and Grayson, but none was more notable than MP3.

lotusland
02-25-2016, 09:58 PM
I voted for MP3 also because GA and BI are MOM candidates almost every night. Jeter gets consideration for having his best game yet and Matt for coming back and contributing after missing only 1 game with what appeared to be a pretty serious ankle roll. Interesting that BI get's no love at all so far for 16/6/2/2.

duke4ever19
02-25-2016, 10:08 PM
Obviously Grayson Allen gets my vote.

I don't get the votes for Jeter. If it's a pat on the back that's fine, but he clearly wasn't MOTM, or perhaps I don't understand what the title means.

freshmanjs
02-25-2016, 10:09 PM

I don't get the votes for Jeter. If it's a pat on the back that's fine, but he clearly wasn't MOTM, or perhaps I don't understand what the title means.

Hard to vote for him after that trip.

Furniture
02-25-2016, 10:42 PM

Of course GA was excellent but why so emphatically MOTM? Just curious because he did score 2 more than Brandon but he also took several more shots.
Btw I actually voted for Jeter but my next pick would have been Marshall.

mattman91
02-25-2016, 10:51 PM
I heard three different "Jeter" chants. Some of the students making those chants were presumably hot coeds. If that doesn't make you "the man" of the match, I don't know what will.

duke4ever19
02-25-2016, 11:06 PM
Of course GA was excellent but why so emphatically MOTM? Just curious because he did score 2 more than Brandon but he also took several more shots.
Btw I actually voted for Jeter but my next pick would have been Marshall.

"Emphatically" isn't the best word here to describe my post. If you mean't about my use of the word "obviously," then sure, I'll give you that.

Jeter got 12 minutes. Sure he played much better than he has in the recent past, but he had no real statistical impact when compared to Plumlee, Allen and Ingram.

Newton_14
02-25-2016, 11:14 PM

You don't want to vote for him for MOTM, that's cool. Other's choose to vote for him based on how well he played, which is their right. He played well enough tonight to earn MOTM votes as did others. Vote your conscience and let others be to do the same. Folks that did vote for him need not be chastised for doing so.

freshmanjs
02-25-2016, 11:15 PM
You don't want to vote for him for MOTM, that's cool. Other's choose to vote for him based on how well he played, which is their right. He played well enough tonight to earn MOTM votes as did others. Vote your conscience and let others be to do the same. Folks that did vote for him need not be chastised for doing so.

You seem to be the only one doing any chastising here...

OZZIE4DUKE
02-25-2016, 11:15 PM
MP3. I hope today was Chase Jeter's first breakout game.

Solid win for the team!

Newton_14
02-25-2016, 11:19 PM
You seem to be the only one doing any chastising here...
Not true. You are flipping back and forth between post game and MOTM trying to bring up the trip as often as possible, then suggest to someone they should not vote for him. My point was they can vote for whomever they choose same as you.

freshmanjs
02-25-2016, 11:20 PM
Not true. You are flipping back and forth between post game and MOTM trying to bring up the trip as often as possible, then suggest to someone they should not vote for him. My point was they can vote for whomever they choose same as you.

I never suggested who anyone else should vote for at all. Where are you getting that? "Flipping back and forth?" -- no clue what you are talking about.

DRC
02-25-2016, 11:22 PM
I hope this isn't becoming a pattern for Grayson. It's one thing to play smart and tough, but quite another to play with intent to do harm.

wilson
02-25-2016, 11:46 PM
I like that different people's interpretations of the meaning of "Man of the Match" lead to different conclusions.
To me, MOTM means, "Who had the performance most worthy of celebrating?" If we borrow Coach K's classic idea that "every player runs his own race," then who ran the best lap of his individual race tonight? For me, this discussion encompasses statistical production, intelligent play, and embodiment of K's program principles...leadership, hustle, perseverance, selflessness.
So I voted for Chase...to me, his performance was tonight's best fulfillment of the above Duke values.

Furniture
02-25-2016, 11:53 PM
"Emphatically" isn't the best word here to describe my post. If you mean't about my use of the word "obviously," then sure, I'll give you that.

Jeter got 12 minutes. Sure he played much better than he has in the recent past, but he had no real statistical impact when compared to Plumlee, Allen and Ingram.

So why Grayson over plumlee or Brandon. What was so obvious. Just wondering.

Newton_14
02-25-2016, 11:56 PM
I like that different people's interpretations of the meaning of "Man of the Match" lead to different conclusions.
To me, MOTM means, "Who had the performance most worthy of celebrating?" If we borrow Coach K's classic idea that "every player runs his own race," then who ran the best lap of his individual race tonight? For me, this discussion encompasses statistical production, intelligent play, and embodiment of K's program principles...leadership, hustle, perseverance, selflessness.
So I voted for Chase...to me, his performance was tonight's best fulfillment of the above Duke values.

For me, MOTM means which player contributed the most in carrying us to the victory. That said, there are rare times when a player who did not necessarily lead us to victory per se, but made extraordinary contributions by coming out of a shell, overcoming adversity of some sort, etc, and I will vote for them. I am not at all a fan of "lets give every one a participation medal".

Tonight I went with MP3. Did not have the most points, but did have a double double and did have a very big impact on the game.

I totally understand the votes for Chase and really did not have a problem with them.

duke4ever19
02-26-2016, 12:17 AM
So why Grayson over plumlee or Brandon. What was so obvious. Just wondering.

He had a big influence on the court both offensively and defensively. He had good stats.

But most importantly, his hair was on point, he shook my hand that one time, and he's so darn cute.

What were your reasons for voting for Chase?

Bob Green
02-26-2016, 04:56 AM
On top of 18 points, Grayson Allen had five assists and three steals. He scored the teams first eight points when it seemed like neither team could buy a basket. Allen is my MOTM.

Runner up: Brandon Ingram. 16 and six with two assists and two steals. Ingram is so dangerous with the ball in his hands. I really like him in the point forward role beating the press and moving the basketball. Ball movement is so important to offensive flow.

Honorable Mention: Marshall Plumlee. Big men who average a double-double do not grow on trees so I understand why so many folks voted for MPIII.

Furniture
02-26-2016, 06:46 AM
He had a big influence on the court both offensively and defensively. He had good stats.

But most importantly, his hair was on point, he shook my hand that one time, and he's so darn cute.

What were your reasons for voting for Chase?

Fair enough. I didn't vote for the usual suspects because I have voted for them several times this season and they have won several times.
I like to share the love and recognize all the guys and maybe Chases's performance was not up to the standard of others but for him it was outstanding.
His hair is also very nice….

Cheers.

MCFinARL
02-26-2016, 08:08 AM
Fair enough. I didn't vote for the usual suspects because I have voted for them several times this season and they have won several times.
I like to share the love and recognize all the guys and maybe Chases's performance was not up to the standard of others but for him it was outstanding.
His hair is also very nice….

Cheers.

I also voted for Chase, for similar reasons (not so much because of the hair, though). I think when a player contributes by reaching a new level in his own game, that is worthy of recognition even if it is not, objectively, the most important performance in the game. If one of the usual suspects had been clearly much better than the others, I might have chosen differently.

I also want to mention Matt Jones, though--a player we may sometimes take for granted. He came back smoothly from what, thankfully, turned out to be a relatively minor injury, scored 11 points on 50% shooting, had 5 assists, and played solid defense.

CameronBornAndBred
02-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Grayson took MOTM easily for me, but I LOVED seeing Chase finally have his night. This is a great quote. (From an article also claiming Allen as MOTM.)

HIGHLIGHT

Chase Jeter came up with the best 4-minute run of his Duke career, by far. In that span the lightly tested freshman drew a charge, grabbed four rebounds, threw down a dunk and had the Cameron Crazies chanting his last name. "That's everybody's dream, to be in Cameron and hear the fans chanting your name," Jeter said.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/allen-leads-no-15-duke-past-florida-state-80-65/15428138/#ukKzjxh3LJIw2Ofp.99

superdave
02-26-2016, 11:38 AM
I voted for Chase because his string of big plays established the lead for us. We never looked back.

Lar77
02-26-2016, 03:02 PM
I went with MP3, but this was a true team effort. We had 5 guys in double figures and Thornton might have gotten there too if he didn't have foul issues (some phantom).

MP3 was awesome at the line. That was my deciding factor. Who made more free throws? Who had a better shooting percentage than Luke or Grayson from the stripe? Why does Marshall shoot so much better than his brothers?

I hope that this is the one that we've been waiting for with Chase. We did not miss a beat with Plumlee sitting. And Chase actually drew a charge!

Most amazing play was Brandon rebounding his own air ball (partial block by Boris Badenov). He is very quick.

kAzE
02-26-2016, 03:17 PM
For me, MOTM means which player contributed the most in carrying us to the victory. That said, there are rare times when a player who did not necessarily lead us to victory per se, but made extraordinary contributions by coming out of a shell, overcoming adversity of some sort, etc, and I will vote for them. I am not at all a fan of "lets give every one a participation medal".

Tonight I went with MP3. Did not have the most points, but did have a double double and did have a very big impact on the game.

I totally understand the votes for Chase and really did not have a problem with them.

Agree 100%. Marshall had the biggest contribution in this one. Both with the eye test and on the stat sheet: 13 points, 10 boards, 2 assists, 2 steals and a block in just 29 minutes. Grayson has by far gotten the majority of my MOTM votes this year, but this was not a vintage performance from him. 7 for 20 from the field, acknowledging there were a bunch of fouls on him that weren't called, but Marshall was getting mauled on all night too.

I went with MP3, but this was a true team effort. We had 5 guys in double figures and Thornton might have gotten there too if he didn't have foul issues (some phantom).

MP3 was awesome at the line. That was my deciding factor. Who made more free throws? Who had a better shooting percentage than Luke or Grayson from the stripe? Why does Marshall shoot so much better than his brothers?

I hope that this is the one that we've been waiting for with Chase. We did not miss a beat with Plumlee sitting. And Chase actually drew a charge!

Most amazing play was Brandon rebounding his own air ball (partial block by Boris Badenov). He is very quick.

He drew 2 charges.