PDA

View Full Version : The birth of Skynet

JasonEvans
02-25-2016, 02:41 PM
So, when robots do become our overlords, I will look back upon this video as the first evidence that we should have seen it come. Check out how agile this robot is and how well it adapts to different, difficult terrain conditions. Scary... and really cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY

Here is the article (http://www.wired.com/2016/02/boston-dynamics-new-robot-wicked-good-getting-bullied/?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email)about this very cool robot, which includes the following amusing line.

This version of the bot is 5’9″ and weighs 180 pounds. It’s battery powered, and navigates using Lidar and stereo sensors in its head. Sensors in its limbs keep it from tipping over. All that gadgetry lets it navigate snowy terrain, pick up boxes, and stand up after being shoved to the floor. Some of those sensors even appear to recognize QR-like codes on boxes and doors. I reached out to Boston Dynamics to confirm and extrapolate on these specs, but nobody answered the phone. I can only assume this is because robots have slaughtered everybody there.

elvis14
02-25-2016, 03:31 PM
That's pretty amazing. I was waiting for the robot to slap the guy with the hockey stick!

brevity
02-25-2016, 04:52 PM
This raises a number of questions that are probably not appropriate for the Off-Topic Forum.

1. Can these robots play basketball, or are they only programmed for hockey?

2. The video shows a robot picking up boxes marked as weighing 10 pounds. Can we see how it picks up cinderblocks?

3. The stamp says "Boston Dynamics". Any chance Tommy Amaker or Stephen Pagliuca can get a closer look?

4. The linked article lists the robot from the video as 5'9" and weighing 180 pounds. What's its wingspan?

5. Does it run on electricity, plutonium, or Sam Adams?

6. Will the NCAA allow Coach K to recruit these robots?
a) If so, do they count toward the scholarship total?
b) If not, can he at least borrow a robotic foot for Amile Jefferson?

DukieInKansas
02-25-2016, 05:41 PM
This raises a number of questions that are probably not appropriate for the Off-Topic Forum.

2. The video shows a robot picking up boxes marked as weighing 10 pounds. Can we see how it picks up cinderblocks?

3. The stamp says "Boston Dynamics". Any chance Tommy Amaker or Stephen Pagliuca can get a closer look?

4. The linked article lists the robot from the video as 5'9" and weighing 180 pounds. What's its wingspan?

Excellent questions!

I kept waiting for him to smack the hockey stick away. I think he was angry when he left the room - basically, I'm not going to stick around here if you are going to mess with my boxes and knock me over.

YmoBeThere
02-25-2016, 09:35 PM
His BMI is: 26.6 which is in the Overweight = 25–29.9 category.

No discount on health insurance for him.

Olympic Fan
02-26-2016, 02:25 AM
You guys laugh, but some pretty bright guys think this stuff is a serious threat to the human race.

Like Stephen Hawking;

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540

Elon Musk (and four others):

http://time.com/3614349/artificial-intelligence-singularity-stephen-hawking-elon-musk/

CameronBornAndBred
02-26-2016, 09:20 AM
I enjoy watching the BD videos (even though they are scary), but they also make me wonder. What's the most efficient design for a robot? The idea of a robot in human form has tickled our imaginations forever and a day, so it makes sense that we strive to make one truly work, but is it the best form for a useful robot to have? Having two legs and two arms works well for us humans, but we have limitations, which is why we use tools and machines. (And robots.)

-jk
02-26-2016, 09:27 AM
I enjoy watching the BD videos (even though they are scary), but they also make me wonder. What's the most efficient design for a robot? The idea of a robot in human form has tickled our imaginations forever and a day, so it makes sense that we strive to make one truly work, but is it the best form for a useful robot to have? Having two legs and two arms works well for us humans, but we have limitations, which is why we use tools and machines. (And robots.)

I think that part of it is we've engineered a large part of our everyday environment around the human form, so designing a robot in a vaguely human form to exist in that environment makes some sense.

We have designed any number of robotic devices for specialized environments, we just call them "manufacturing automation", "drones", "submersibles", and the like.

-jk

Jeffrey
02-26-2016, 01:29 PM
We have designed any number of robotic devices for specialized environments, we just call them "manufacturing automation", "drones", "submersibles", and the like.

-jk

In your opinion, what robotic device company is best?

Reisen
02-26-2016, 02:08 PM

If you look early on, you'll see a number of other BD robots, many of which are quadrupeds. I would argue though, that the general idea of legs for locomotion, and arms for utility, is a proven winner. I bet we'll see a robot than can walk / run on all 4 legs for distances, but then transition to 2 (and the other two function as arms) for height / dexterity. Either that, or a robot that always moves on 4 legs (or 6/8!) but also has arms.

Lar77
02-26-2016, 02:15 PM
So, when robots do become our overlords, I will look back upon this video as the first evidence that we should have seen it come. Check out how agile this robot is and how well it adapts to different, difficult terrain conditions. Scary... and really cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY

Here is the article (http://www.wired.com/2016/02/boston-dynamics-new-robot-wicked-good-getting-bullied/?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email)about this very cool robot, which includes the following amusing line.

Thanks Jason. This was cool to watch. I was waiting for the robot to drop his gloves and pummel the guy with the hockey stick.:)

Seriously, this is amazing and scary at the same time.

Jeffrey
02-26-2016, 02:28 PM
I was waiting for the robot to drop his gloves and pummel the guy with the hockey stick.:)

Given his trepidation, so was the guy with the hockey stick.

JasonEvans
02-26-2016, 02:44 PM
So, what is the most amazing thing in the video?

1) Walking through the snow and being able to manage slippery, uncertain terrain without falling down
2) Identifying the location of various object (even ones being moved), being able to pick them up, and then place them in different and potentially awkward positions
3) Standing up after being knocked over
4) Walking through one of those heavy doors that wants to close on you and knock you over the moment you swing it open

-Jason "or 5) Not beating the @$&@&^ out of the guy with the hockey stick... cause you know that robot wanted to open a can of whup !@#% on him" Evans

Jeffrey
02-26-2016, 03:15 PM
So, what is the most amazing thing in the video?

1) Walking through the snow and being able to manage slippery, uncertain terrain without falling down
2) Identifying the location of various object (even ones being moved), being able to pick them up, and then place them in different and potentially awkward positions
3) Standing up after being knocked over
4) Walking through one of those heavy doors that wants to close on you and knock you over the moment you swing it open

IMO, the better question is what percentage of UNC grads. can do all the above?

snowdenscold
02-26-2016, 04:04 PM
I think that part of it is we've engineered a large part of our everyday environment around the human form, so designing a robot in a vaguely human form to exist in that environment makes some sense.

-jk

If you look early on, you'll see a number of other BD robots, many of which are quadrupeds. I would argue though, that the general idea of legs for locomotion, and arms for utility, is a proven winner. I bet we'll see a robot than can walk / run on all 4 legs for distances, but then transition to 2 (and the other two function as arms) for height / dexterity. Either that, or a robot that always moves on 4 legs (or 6/8!) but also has arms.

I personally would find it extremely useful if we had 4 arms instead of 2.
Ever tried to open a door with your hands full? Ever tried to hold a plate and drink, and use a fork, all while standing up at a social event? Ever tried to wrestle an octopus?

Reisen
02-26-2016, 05:23 PM
I personally would find it extremely useful if we had 4 arms instead of 2...Ever tried to wrestle an octopus?

I feel like there's a dirty joke in here somewhere.

Jeffrey
02-26-2016, 05:50 PM
Ever tried to wrestle an octopus?

No, that's Ringo's job!

devildeac
02-26-2016, 07:03 PM
I'd have at least tripped the dude with the hockey stick and maybe kicked the SOB who knocked me down from behind. :p

devildeac
02-26-2016, 07:05 PM
No, that's Ringo's job!

Or Roger Moore's.

brevity
02-26-2016, 07:33 PM
Ever tried to wrestle an octopus?

Usually the game is to provide a caption when presented with a picture. But I guess we can do this in reverse:

cspan37421
02-26-2016, 09:53 PM
I propose a revision to the Turing Test:

Could Grayson Allen trip the robot?

DukieInKansas
02-27-2016, 02:00 AM
I propose a revision to the Turing Test:

Could Grayson Allen trip the robot?

Would Daniel Ewing get the T if he did?

bjornolf
02-27-2016, 07:08 AM

I was thinking a centaur design, but having the front set of "legs" ending in usable "hands" or at least a clamp/vise type appendage that when splayed out straight formed a foot-like platform for stability. Not a fully functional hand, but a useful tool for holding and carrying things.

ricks68
02-27-2016, 12:24 PM

Obviously, it belongs on the OT Forum. See above. Now, if there was a mention of BBQ, then it would be inappropriate.;)

ricks

wavedukefan70s
02-27-2016, 03:28 PM

-jk

I was thinking the same thing.we develop robots to do human jobs and other jobs.
My question is once robots do everything .what happens to the humans?
Makes you wonder if we are developing to make no need for humans at some point.

CameronBornAndBred
02-27-2016, 04:22 PM
I personally would find it extremely useful if we had 4 arms instead of 2.

Pretty good for killing Jedi, too.

Grievous also had multiple ways of locomotion.

devildeac
02-27-2016, 04:58 PM
One of those 'bots needs a #3 jersey...

cspan37421
03-02-2016, 12:20 PM
One of those 'bots needs a #3 jersey...

That one's getting a lot of use and abuse this year. How about #21 instead? Just until he gets back, of course.

Blue in the Face
03-02-2016, 03:45 PM
Usually the game is to provide a caption when presented with a picture. But I guess we can do this in reverse:

So, complete non-sequitur. For fans of that move, this oral history from the avclub (http://www.avclub.com/article/surely-you-cant-be-serious-oral-history-airplane-218043) is pretty interesting. One of my favorite parts is Peter Graves' initial distaste for that part of his role.

Hays: Peter said they sent it to him and he threw it down and said, “What kind of crap is this? What the hell is this crap?” And his agent said, “Look, this thing has got a lot of buzz going on about it. They say it’s gonna be very funny and really good. You ought to look at it again.” So he looked at it again, and he said, “I don’t get this crap. What the hell is this?” And his agent said, “Look, just go on in and meet them with them.” So he met with the guys, and he said, “Well, I don’t know. Maybe. It looks like it might be kind of funny. They seem like pretty funny guys.” [Laughs.] And the next thing you know, there he is, just absolutely perfect.

Ashmore: Peter had a really hard time with all of that gladiator, Turkish prison, and Scraps stuff. [Laughs.] He had a real hard time getting through that. But he did, and he did it absolutely right on the money. No tongue in the cheek whatsoever. He was just dead-on serious, and he was funnier than hell.

pfrduke
03-02-2016, 10:56 PM
So, complete non-sequitur. For fans of that move, this oral history from the avclub (http://www.avclub.com/article/surely-you-cant-be-serious-oral-history-airplane-218043) is pretty interesting. One of my favorite parts is Peter Graves' initial distaste for that part of his role.

That's a great oral history. Thanks for posting it. Makes me want to watch the movie again.

-jk
03-02-2016, 11:05 PM
That's a great oral history. Thanks for posting it. Makes me want to watch the movie again.

Airplane is perhaps only second to Princess Bride.

For quotes, anyway...

-jk