PDA

View Full Version : Football 2016 Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Mods, feel free to move if something already exists.

Here's an interesting take from Andrea Adelson, ESPN ACC beat reporter on how Duke can breakthrough to get back to the ACC title game next year. Sounds like lots of challenges at skill positions.

Chasing Clemson: How Duke makes it to ACC title game http://es.pn/1XIup2n

BLPOG
02-22-2016, 02:43 PM

Here's an interesting take from Andrea Adelson, ESPN ACC beat reporter on how Duke can breakthrough to get back to the ACC title game next year. Sounds like lots of challenges at skill positions.

Chasing Clemson: How Duke makes it to ACC title game (http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/91104/chasing-clemson-how-duke-makes-it-to-the-acc-title-game)

nocilla
02-23-2016, 11:30 AM
Latina retiring is now official.

"Duke head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Tuesday the retirement of Assistant Head Coach & Run Game Coordinator John Latina, as well as the promotion of Marcus Johnson to assistant coach."

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-Football-announces-coaching-changes-Johnson-for-Latina-43875325

bleudiable
02-25-2016, 11:13 AM

Isn't it great to have expectations (not just high but ANY expectations) for football? I am confident that this fall's team will be good enough to reach .500 overal and in the ACC and land a decent bowl. If redshirts and recruits pan out at the same rate they have in the past two years, 6-6 is a reasonable floor and nine wins is a reasonable goal. Adelson's analysis is accurate, but it doesn't take the increased talent level in recruiting in the past two years into account.

As it was in our Coastal Championship year, the difference between a good year and a great year will come down to a few key plays in a few key games. It's great to be talking about football in February.

budwom
02-25-2016, 11:20 AM
^ good analysis. Tougher schedule means making the championship game is most unlikely. But if we have another recruiting year or two like
this past year's, talk like that won't be unreasonable.

mbird30
02-25-2016, 12:07 PM
Las time we made the ACC championship game it was totally unexpected, so don't judge this team based on the preseason outlook. We don't need extremely high expectations, but we don't need to concede the Coastal division just yet either.

OldPhiKap
02-25-2016, 12:26 PM
Las time we made the ACC championship game it was totally unexpected, so don't judge this team based on the preseason outlook. We don't need extremely high expectations, but we don't need to concede the Coastal division just yet either.

Exactly.

I concede that we will be the underdogs in a number of conference games.

I do not concede a loss until someone can actually beat us.

#DukeGang

duke blue brewcrew
02-25-2016, 02:02 PM
Exactly.

I concede that we will be the underdogs in a number of conference games.

I do not concede a loss until someone can actually beat us.

#DukeGang

Which is why football games are played on the field instead of on paper. I absolutely believe Duke Football can get it done again this year. Given the increased schedule difficulty, as well as the adjustments the team will need to make at QB, I believe the .500 floor is reasonable, and that the Conf Championship Game is attainable should everything fall into place for the Blue Devils. Love it, and LGD!

Olympic Fan
02-25-2016, 02:16 PM
Last time we made the ACC championship game it was totally unexpected, so don't judge this team based on the preseason outlook. We don't need extremely high expectations, but we don't need to concede the Coastal division just yet either.

Duke was, in fact, picked dead last (7th) in the Coastal Division in the 2013 preseason media poll.

mbird30
02-27-2016, 09:57 AM
There's some interesting stuff about the 2016 team on the 247sports VIP section. I'd suggest subscribing because it has some great articles that are absolutely worth it.

Avvocato
03-03-2016, 05:26 PM
Here's a blog post on espn.com regarding Boehme taking over as quarterback and Duke football in general as spring practice is set to open on Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/91339/duke-moving-forward-with-parker-boehme-at-quarterback

Olympic Fan
03-03-2016, 05:43 PM
Here's a blog post on espn.com regarding Boehme taking over as quarterback and Duke football in general as spring practice is set to open on Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/91339/duke-moving-forward-with-parker-boehme-at-quarterback

Coach Cut had a teleconference this morning to talk about the start of spring practice Saturday. He said the later start (almost a month later than the last two years) was due to two factors: The changes in the coaching staff (four new assistant coaches) required time to work on planning and (2) he wanted to emphasize weight training and this offered an extra month to work in the weight room.

No hard news -- the biggest "scoop" was the Devon Edwards would remain at cornerback, where he finished the year, while Alonzo Saxton (who has been disappointing at corner) will now be a safety.

He said the new coaches will be bringing new ideas and new takes, but expected the basic structure of the team to stay the same. Suggested there could be a lot of shakeup on the defensive front.

Cut was emphatic that Parker Boehme was the No. 1 quarterback going spring, but said it was important to evaluate the two redshirt freshmen (Harris and Jones).

He said the addition of two redshirt TEs -- Helm and Koppenhaver -- would have a big impact on the receiving corps.

The biggest change will be on special teams, where Duke will be breaking in two new kickers. Only punter Austin Parker will be on hand this spring.

Spring practice will close April 9 with a showcase event.

duke blue brewcrew
03-03-2016, 06:06 PM
Coach Cut had a teleconference this morning to talk about the start of spring practice Saturday. He said the later start (almost a month later than the last two years) was due to two factors: The changes in the coaching staff (four new assistant coaches) required time to work on planning and (2) he wanted to emphasize weight training and this offered an extra month to work in the weight room.

No hard news -- the biggest "scoop" was the Devon Edwards would remain at cornerback, where he finished the year, while Alonzo Saxton (who has been disappointing at corner) will now be a safety.

He said the new coaches will be bringing new ideas and new takes, but expected the basic structure of the team to stay the same. Suggested there could be a lot of shakeup on the defensive front.

Cut was emphatic that Parker Boehme was the No. 1 quarterback going spring, but said it was important to evaluate the two redshirt freshmen (Harris and Jones).

He said the addition of two redshirt TEs -- Helm and Koppenhaver -- would have a big impact on the receiving corps.

The biggest change will be on special teams, where Duke will be breaking in two new kickers. Only punter Austin Parker will be on hand this spring.

Spring practice will close April 9 with a showcase event.

Thanks Oly! That's a great nugget about Devon staying at CB. I think it speaks to the level of competition and depth at Safety for Duke. When reading that espn article, I do see where Boehme is the #1 starter, but got more of a "for now" feeling with it than an emphatic one. Was anything mentioned about the depth behind Boehme, regarding who was #2 and #3 between Harris and Jones? I like that Cut addresses the need to fully assess both coming out of successful red-shirt season. It will be interesting to see what happens there for sure!

Bob Green
03-05-2016, 07:44 AM
Here are the practice dates:

MARCH
5, 7, 9, 11, 21, 23, 25, 28, 30

APRIL
1, 2, 6, 8

devildeac
03-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Here are the practice dates:

MARCH
5, 7, 9, 11, 21, 23, 25, 28, 30

APRIL
1, 2, 6, 8

Tailgate for the spring game?

;)

Bob Green
03-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Tailgate for the spring game?

;)

No Spring Game again due to ongoing construction. However, I'm definitely up for tailgate in 2017. :cool:

devildeac
03-05-2016, 10:07 AM
No Spring Game again due to ongoing construction. However, I'm definitely up for tailgate in 2017. :cool:

Wait, not 2016?

;)

Bob Green
03-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Wait, not 2016?

;)

2016 regular season. 2017 Spring Game.

Bob Green
03-06-2016, 06:49 AM
Spring Prospectus:

http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/4575906.pdf

We lost 12 starters, five on offense, five on defense and two on special teams. The five on offense does not include quarterback Thomas Sirk who officially returns but is out with a torn Achilles tendon. His recovery time and return to action is unknown.

Johnathan Lloyd has moved to wide receiver from defensive back. Two true freshmen are early enrollees and participating in Spring Practice, cornerback Mark Gilbert and safety Jacob Morganstern.

GoDuke has a short article on Day One:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210774687&DB_OEM_ID=4200

The Duke offense, under the direction of first-year offensive coordinator Zac Roper, is guided by rising redshirt junior quarterback Parker Boehme.

OldPhiKap
03-06-2016, 08:16 AM
Spring Prospectus:

We lost 12 starters, five on offense, five on defense and two on special teams. The five on offense does not include quarterback Thomas Sirk who officially returns but is out with a torn Achilles tendon. His recovery time and return to action is unknown.

Johnathan Lloyd has moved to wide receiver from defensive back. Two true freshmen are early enrollees and participating in Spring Practice, cornerback Mark Gilbert and safety Jacob Morganstern.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210774687&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Thanks, Bob.

The last four years show what an advantage bowling gives a team. In past years, this would be the first practice or action since around Thanksgiving.

I think Sirk is a great leader and I cannot wait for his return to full health. Having said that, I a comfortable with Parker at the helm. If Thomas' injury had to occur, better that it is early in the offseason so Parker can get reps and get mentally ready, than in the first game where Parker has to come in unexpectedly. At least, that's my effort to make the best of a tough situation.

budwom
03-06-2016, 09:23 AM
Spring Prospectus:

Great, Bob. Some thoughts:

The biggest revelation to me is that Cut is not at all ruling Sirk out....would not have been shocked to learn otherwise. Still no assurance if and when
he can return, but it's nice to know it's a possibility.

Also thrilled about Lloyd at WR (Clemson had offered him yet we haven't found a spot for him yet, trying him at QB, DB and now WR).
Also keen on keeping Edwards at CB, even with Fields coming back.

It'll be interesting to see how new DL coach Albert shuffles the deck on the defensive line....can't wait to see the two deep after Spring practice.

martydoesntfoul
03-06-2016, 10:12 AM
The possibilities are exciting. Forgive me for forgetting that Ross Cockrell and Jamison Crowder were two-star recruits...

Bob Green
03-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Video clip with comments from quarterback Parker Boehme and Offensive Coordinator Zac Roper:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/15483683/

Interesting to hear Coach Roper say they are not ruling out the possibility Thomas Sirk will be back by September.

mbird30
03-08-2016, 10:18 AM
If we go 9-3 this season coach cut will have broken 0.500 since he arrived at Duke. To some this may not mean a lot, but to me this is a monumental achievement that signifies that we have made the complete 180 degree program turnaround.

53n206
03-08-2016, 10:23 AM
If we go 9-3 this season coach cut will have broken 0.500 since he arrived at Duke. To some this may not mean a lot, but to me this is a monumental achievement that signifies that we have made the complete 180 degree program turnaround.

Hear, hear!!!

budwom
03-08-2016, 10:43 AM

I'm excited about this coming season, but 9-3 is going to be really, really really difficult to achieve given the tougher schedule.

brlftz
03-08-2016, 11:14 AM
So is Pierre no longer on the chart as a quarterback? Didn't see him mentioned in any of the articles or discussion.

Dev11
03-08-2016, 11:21 AM
I'm excited about this coming season, but 9-3 is going to be really, really really difficult to achieve given the tougher schedule.

I'll take steady progress towards the even record, 7-6 or 8-5 seems just fine. I expect Coach Cutcliffe to remain at Duke long enough to achieve a winning record when it's over.

OldPhiKap
03-08-2016, 11:32 AM
So is Pierre no longer on the chart as a quarterback? Didn't see him mentioned in any of the articles or discussion.

He was moved to RB last year, and I seem to recall an earlier announcement that he would retain that position. I will defer to others with better memory or information.

duke blue brewcrew
03-08-2016, 12:38 PM
Video clip with comments from quarterback Parker Boehme and Offensive Coordinator Zac Roper:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/15483683/

Interesting to hear Coach Roper say they are not ruling out the possibility Thomas Sirk will be back by September.

It's very interesting in deed! I've heard some comments coming from Cut not long ago, asserting the need to do a full evaluation of all QBs on the roster. Working with the assumption that Sirk is out for the foreseeable future, Boehme was declared the #1 going into Spring Practice. Have there been any clear distinctions made by the staff regarding how Harris and Jones rank behind Boehme?

brlftz
03-08-2016, 01:19 PM
He was moved to RB last year, and I seem to recall an earlier announcement that he would retain that position. I will defer to others with better memory or information.

yeah, it's that last piece that would be news to me - if they decided to make it permanent.

revmel53
03-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Reference was made to difficult schedule this year. Is it out yet?

sagegrouse
03-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Reference was made to difficult schedule this year. Is it out yet?

Here's the GoDuke link (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=22666&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID_COUNT_=2&DB_OEM_ID_1_=4200&DB_OEM_ID=4200&DB_OEM_ID_0_=4200&Q_SEASON=2016). Basically non-conference sked keeps NCCU, Army, and Northwestern (away) and adds Notre Dame instead of Tulane. Conference: the inter-divisional change is we lose BC and gain Louisville. (Wake is a permanent game on the schedule.)

Kindly,
Sage
'Travel tip -- head to Chicago on September 16. Stay eight days and see Duke @ NW and Duke @ND'

devildeac
03-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Here's the GoDuke link (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=22666&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID_COUNT_=2&DB_OEM_ID_1_=4200&DB_OEM_ID=4200&DB_OEM_ID_0_=4200&Q_SEASON=2016). Basically non-conference sked keeps NCCU, Army, and Northwestern (away) and adds Notre Dame instead of Tulane. Conference: the inter-divisional change is we lose BC and gain Louisville. (Wake is a permanent game on the schedule.)

Kindly,
Sage
'Travel tip -- head to Chicago on September 16. Stay eight days and see Duke @ NW and Duke @ND'

Ha! Blocked my office schedule already for Friday 9/16 and all the following week (including both weekends) as we hope to accomplish what you just posted above.

duke blue brewcrew
03-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Ha! Blocked my office schedule already for Friday 9/16 and all the following week (including both weekends) as we hope to accomplish what you just posted above.

What a fun road trip! I would love to see Duke get some revenge against NW! How accessible are the ND tix?

devildeac
03-08-2016, 02:32 PM
What a fun road trip! I would love to see Duke get some revenge against NW! How accessible are the ND tix?

Don't know the answer to that one but I'm working on it ;) .

OZZIE4DUKE
03-08-2016, 02:46 PM

Would love to, but we have a wedding to go to in Atlanta the weekend of the ND game. Before that had come up, I had said I wanted to go to the ND game. But I have been voted down. Next time, I guess in 6 years. I sure hope that our game vs. ND in 2019 is in Durham! :cool:

uh_no
03-08-2016, 02:48 PM
I'll take steady progress towards the even record, 7-6 or 8-5 seems just fine. I expect Coach Cutcliffe to remain at Duke long enough to achieve a winning record when it's over.

That's not too much of a stretch, given we could finish 7-5/8-4 over the next two years

Dev11
03-08-2016, 03:16 PM
That's not too much of a stretch, given we could finish 7-5/8-4 over the next two years

So I'm pretty satisfied with the current trajectory. Fine by me.

To the schedule, I'm disappointed they couldn't figure out how to spread out the NU and ND games. I'm planning to go to that ND game, and probably would have made it to NU in a different year or month.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Another instance of underappreciating Duke! #127 out of 129??

Ranking all 129 college coaches ... as players http://es.pn/1Xa6U1q
-via ESPN

uh_no
03-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Another instance of underappreciating Duke! #127 out of 129??

Ranking all 129 college coaches ... as players http://es.pn/1Xa6U1q
-via ESPN

I bet if you asked cut, he'd be surprised they managed to find 2 guys he beats!

jv001
03-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Our own Scottie Montgomery is #21 on the list of head coaches(ECU Pirates). GoDuke!

uh_no
03-09-2016, 01:12 PM
the real question is, will Peyton be on board as a special assistant!

duke blue brewcrew
03-10-2016, 09:12 AM

Whether it happens in '16 or '17, I could not agree more, it's a monumental achievement! He took a program from being the laughing stock of D1, to "You better tighten up your chin strap, because these boys are here to play!" There isn't one aspect of the program he has not impacted in a dramatically positive way. Facilities, staff, recruiting, culture, results on and off the field, and it's been a blessing for Duke fans who've waited a very long time to enjoy it.

budwom
03-10-2016, 10:38 AM

Pierre has been a running back since the middle of last season.

jimsumner
03-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Pierre has been a running back since the middle of last season.

He was actually moved to RB in August, when Duke had a rash of injured running backs.

Didn't play much.

At the signing day press conference last month Cut stated that he always wanted four QBs. Which he had at the time.

Now he doesn't. Will he in August? Will Sirk be cleared by then?

If not, is he comfortable with three? Or does he move one of Pierre, Lloyd or Chambers back to QB?

Pierre was the most highly regarded of those three QBs in high school.

But this isn't high school.

As an aside, Duke does have a lot of running backs without Pierre. But that's counting two incoming freshmen who aren't on campus now.

So, lots of variables.

Avvocato
03-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Great piece from ESPN.com on how Cutcliffe develops young coaches that are helping Duke sustain its success.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/91541/a-coaching-farm-system-sustains-dukes-improbable-turnaround

TruBlu
03-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Is the Spring Showcase open to the general public?

duke79
03-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Whether it happens in '16 or '17, I could not agree more, it's a monumental achievement! He took a program from being the laughing stock of D1, to "You better tighten up your chin strap, because these boys are here to play!" There isn't one aspect of the program he has not impacted in a dramatically positive way. Facilities, staff, recruiting, culture, results on and off the field, and it's been a blessing for Duke fans who've waited a very long time to enjoy it.

Yea, I think Coach Cut should be the next Pope, even if he isn't Catholic.

budwom
03-16-2016, 03:00 PM
He was actually moved to RB in August, when Duke had a rash of injured running backs.

Didn't play much.

At the signing day press conference last month Cut stated that he always wanted four QBs. Which he had at the time.

Now he doesn't. Will he in August? Will Sirk be cleared by then?

If not, is he comfortable with three? Or does he move one of Pierre, Lloyd or Chambers back to QB?

Pierre was the most highly regarded of those three QBs in high school.

But this isn't high school.

As an aside, Duke does have a lot of running backs without Pierre. But that's counting two incoming freshmen who aren't on campus now.

So, lots of variables.

I think Pierre has demonstrated he really can't throw very well. But sure, maybe he goes back...

p.s. Cut IS Catholic so I wouldn't rule him for Pope altogether...

duke79
03-16-2016, 03:02 PM
I think Pierre has demonstrated he really can't throw very well. But sure, maybe he goes back...

p.s. Cut IS Catholic so I wouldn't rule him for Pope altogether...

Sorry, didn't know he was Catholic (I would have assumed Baptist or Methodist). So he at least qualifies on that point but his marriage and kids may pose a problem for the hierarchy at Vatican City.

hallcity
03-16-2016, 03:07 PM
Sorry, didn't know he was Catholic (I would have assumed Baptist or Methodist). So he at least qualifies on that point but his marriage and kids may pose a problem for the hierarchy at Vatican City.

Cut has talked about the difficulty of growing up Catholic in the Deep South.

budwom
03-16-2016, 03:18 PM

Technically (I only know because I've heard this before) you don't have to be Catholic to be elected Pope, but you'd have to convert right away if you get the nod.
Something to think about, ya never know!

duke79
03-16-2016, 03:39 PM
Technically (I only know because I've heard this before) you don't have to be Catholic to be elected Pope, but you'd have to convert right away if you get the nod.
Something to think about, ya never know!

I AM Catholic.......but I can safely say I will NEVER be getting the call from the Vatican !!

BandAlum83
03-16-2016, 04:26 PM
the real question is, will Peyton be on board as a special assistant!

You may have meant this as a joke, but given the relationship, it wouldn't surprise me.

nocilla
03-23-2016, 09:45 AM
A couple departures;

Johnell Barnes is transferring to Kentucky Wesleyan. I assume this is partly due to the problems he had off the field last year.

http://www.kwcpanthers.com/news/2015/12/21/FB_1221152906.aspx

And per Adam Rowe (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair/status/711733276780716032?s=04), Redshirt Junior DB Evrett Edwards is transferring from Duke after graduating this May. I really don't know but could this be for playing time concerns?

OldPhiKap
03-23-2016, 09:53 AM
A couple departures;

Johnell Barnes is transferring to Kentucky Wesleyan. I assume this is partly due to the problems he had off the field last year.

And per Adam Rowe (https://twitter.com/BlueDevilLair/status/711733276780716032?s=04), Redshirt Junior DB Evrett Edwards is transferring from Duke after graduating this May. I really don't know but could this be for playing time concerns?

Good luck to Johnell, I hope he has a great finish there. Lots of raw talent, I hope he finds the right situation for him and his future.

Also best of luck to Evrett. He was behind Deondre Singleton last year, I do not know if playing time is the issue or not. I hate to see anyone go, but if he is getting pushed for playing spots I guess that's a good thing for the program. Evrett did contribute during his time here though and I thank him for being part of #DukeGang.

Where are we on the spring practice calendar? I wonder if these announcements now are the result of pre-season meetings with the coaches about what the expectations for playing time are this year. I know we pushed practice back; are we in a coaches' planning stage right now before practice actually begins? (Sorry to ask a dumb question, I should know the answer to this).

Avvocato
03-23-2016, 09:53 AM
A couple departures;

In response to Adam Rowe's tweet about Evrett Edwards, interesting tweet from Ross Martin, who I will assume is our Ross Martin:

Ross Martin ‏@Boss_Martin247 Mar 20 North Carolina, USA
@BlueDevilLair

Respect the clarity of that tweet

budwom
03-23-2016, 10:02 AM
Edwards wasn't slated for much playing time this year given the talent on the roster, including freshmen (e.g. Singleton II) and redshirt freshmen who will play this year (barring injury).
Glad he's getting his degree. Barnes, of course had been dismissed from the team.

grad_devil
03-23-2016, 10:05 AM
In response to Adam Rowe's tweet about Evrett Edwards, interesting tweet from Ross Martin, who I will assume is our Ross Martin:

Not our Ross Martin. From his Twitter bio:

Cover UNC basketball, football, and recruiting for 247Sports. Opinions are my own. Story ideas/questions: rossmmartin@gmail.com

OldPhiKap
03-23-2016, 10:09 AM
Not our Ross Martin. From his Twitter bio:

Ah, the evil twin. Probably has a goatee.

Olympic Fan
03-23-2016, 07:21 PM
Alert: Ellis Brooks, the No. 4 ranked middle LB in the country according to Scout, is going to announce his college choice Thursday at 12:30 p.m.

Duke is 100 percent on the Crystal Ball at 247.

Brooks played at Richmond Benedictine High. He has offers from almost all the ACC and such schools as Michigan and Notre Dame.

He would be a HUGE get for the Blue Devils.

OldPhiKap
03-23-2016, 08:04 PM
Alert: Ellis Brooks, the No. 4 ranked middle LB in the country according to Scout, is going to announce his college choice Thursday at 12:30 p.m.

Brooks played at Richmond Benedictine High. He has offers from almost all the ACC and such schools as Michigan and Notre Dame.

Wow, thanks Oly! That would rock.

devildeac
03-23-2016, 10:15 PM
Wow, thanks Oly! That would rock.

And roll...

duke blue brewcrew
03-24-2016, 08:17 AM

This has the potential to be a really BIG day for Duke in two sports, Brooks could be the catalyst the Blue Devils need for recruiting momentum in the '17 class! LGD! #DukeGang

duke blue brewcrew
03-24-2016, 09:09 AM

FWIW - Duke's Crystal Ball continues to trend in the right direction for Blue Devil fans. Duke is picking up new CB votes for Brooks, and remains at 100%. Lunchtime can't get here fast enough!

Mike Corey
03-24-2016, 09:16 AM
Ellis is good at football (http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2824932/ellis-brooks).

duke blue brewcrew
03-24-2016, 09:30 AM
Ellis is good at football (http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2824932/ellis-brooks).

Great feet, really good pursuit speed, and hits like a Mack truck. I love how he runs through his target and de-cleats most of his opponents.

duke blue brewcrew
03-24-2016, 12:42 PM
Duke Football just landed stud ILB Ellis Brooks!!! Welcome aboard big fella!

https://twitter.com/mitchcarrtv/status/713042675428102144

Mike Corey
03-24-2016, 12:46 PM
Wow.

What a phenomenal pick-up for Cut and Co.

CameronBlue
03-24-2016, 12:54 PM
Follow the tweet trail and you get to this gem:

Mitch Carr ‏@mitchcarrtv 16m16 minutes ago

Benedictine HC Greg Lilly on Brooks: "We were going to put him on JV, and then we saw him hit people. We couldn't do that to 9th graders."

duke blue brewcrew
03-24-2016, 01:06 PM
Follow the tweet trail and you get to this gem:

Mitch Carr ‏@mitchcarrtv 16m16 minutes ago

Benedictine HC Greg Lilly on Brooks: "We were going to put him on JV, and then we saw him hit people. We couldn't do that to 9th graders."

Great catch! Here's the link, it wouldn't let me embed it

https://twitter.com/mitchcarrtv/status/713042045728858113

devildeac
03-24-2016, 01:20 PM

Duke Football just landed stud ILB Ellis Brooks!!! Welcome aboard big fella!

https://twitter.com/mitchcarrtv/status/713042675428102144

Wow.

What a phenomenal pick-up for Cut and Co.

This does indeed look/sound huge. What a great pick-up!

OldPhiKap
03-24-2016, 01:26 PM
Welcome Ellis!

#BangBang #DukeGang

nocilla
03-24-2016, 01:40 PM
New DL coach in action;

https://twitter.com/dukecoachdj/status/713026691078168576

duke blue brewcrew
03-24-2016, 01:45 PM
New DL coach in action;

https://twitter.com/dukecoachdj/status/713026691078168576

Love that, great share!

jimsumner
03-24-2016, 01:56 PM
FYI

https://n.rivals.com/news/blue-devils-land-rivals250-lb-brooks

devildeac
03-24-2016, 01:58 PM
FYI

Summary, please. That link appears to be only to subscribe to Rivals. Thanks.

RepoMan
03-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Great news. Hopefully, this opens the floodgates!

jimsumner
03-24-2016, 02:21 PM
Summary, please. That link appears to be only to subscribe to Rivals. Thanks.

Curious. It shows up on the free page for me and at the end readers are invited to share the link on Facebook and/or Twitter.

So, I'm pretty sure I'm not sharing proprietary info.

Here's the cut and paste version.

"Duke, traditionally a basketball-first school, is viewed as a football program on the rise. The Blue Devils have posted some impressive numbers over the past few years and their recruiting classes have improved dramatically. Rivals250 linebacker Ellis Brooks hopes to continue that momentum after issuing a verbal commitment to David Cutcliffe and the Blue Devils.

“The driving forces behind my commitment were I feel like it’s a great academic school,” said the 6-foot-2, 240-pound Brooks. “I’m trying to make a 40 year decision, not a four year decision. That was a big thing. It’s also close to home. My family can come see me play. My dad, Keith Brooks, is going to try to come to all my games and I want to make sure he doesn’t have to travel too far.

“I felt the most comfortable there,” he said. “It feels like a family. I’ve known these coaches for a while and it seems like the right now. That’s where god wanted me to be and where my family wanted me to be.”

Duke got their highest rated prospect ever in the 2015 class when Rivals100 wide receiver Scott Bracey signed his National Letter of Intent. Bracey, Brooks’ teammate at Richmond (Va.) Benedictine School, really helped the Blue Devils land Brooks’ commitment.

“I look at Scott like a brother,” Brooks said. “I shadowed him at Benedictine when I was in eighth grade when I was checking out the school. I’ve known Scott the longest out of everyone at Benedictine. Seeing how well Duke treated Scott, seeing how they interacted with him, seeing how much he loved it, and what his reasons were behind committing to them was definitely a big factor in my decision.”

Duke running backs coach Ra’quan Boyette was the main recruiter for Bracey and Brooks. He’s seemingly been able to lock down Benedictine for the Blue Devils.

“Coach Boyette has always been my recruiter and we have a great bond,” he said. “I talk to him almost every single week. When we get on the phone, he’s one of the few people I can talk to for a long time. I’ve really grown my relationship with coach Knowles and it’s been a great experience.”

Brooks wants to study business and minor in communications."

devildeac
03-24-2016, 02:25 PM
Curious. It shows up on the free page for me and at the end readers are invited to share the link on Facebook and/or Twitter.

So, I'm pretty sure I'm not sharing proprietary info.

Here's the cut and paste version.

"Duke, traditionally a basketball-first school, is viewed as a football program on the rise. The Blue Devils have posted some impressive numbers over the past few years and their recruiting classes have improved dramatically. Rivals250 linebacker Ellis Brooks hopes to continue that momentum after issuing a verbal commitment to David Cutcliffe and the Blue Devils.

“The driving forces behind my commitment were I feel like it’s a great academic school,” said the 6-foot-2, 240-pound Brooks. “I’m trying to make a 40 year decision, not a four year decision. That was a big thing. It’s also close to home. My family can come see me play. My dad, Keith Brooks, is going to try to come to all my games and I want to make sure he doesn’t have to travel too far.

“I felt the most comfortable there,” he said. “It feels like a family. I’ve known these coaches for a while and it seems like the right now. That’s where god wanted me to be and where my family wanted me to be.”

Duke got their highest rated prospect ever in the 2015 class when Rivals100 wide receiver Scott Bracey signed his National Letter of Intent. Bracey, Brooks’ teammate at Richmond (Va.) Benedictine School, really helped the Blue Devils land Brooks’ commitment.

“I look at Scott like a brother,” Brooks said. “I shadowed him at Benedictine when I was in eighth grade when I was checking out the school. I’ve known Scott the longest out of everyone at Benedictine. Seeing how well Duke treated Scott, seeing how they interacted with him, seeing how much he loved it, and what his reasons were behind committing to them was definitely a big factor in my decision.”

Duke running backs coach Ra’quan Boyette was the main recruiter for Bracey and Brooks. He’s seemingly been able to lock down Benedictine for the Blue Devils.

“Coach Boyette has always been my recruiter and we have a great bond,” he said. “I talk to him almost every single week. When we get on the phone, he’s one of the few people I can talk to for a long time. I’ve really grown my relationship with coach Knowles and it’s been a great experience.”

Brooks wants to study business and minor in communications."

Very helpful. Thanks, Jim.

We gotta love this: recruits recruiting recruits. Great plan.

6' 2" and 240 lbs. Hmmm, Cut may try to turn him into a DE...

Avvocato
03-24-2016, 02:31 PM
”Brooks wants to study business and minor in communications."

Unless something has changed, don't tell him there's no business/communications major (coming from an Economics/Cable 13 alum).

That aside, amazing get by Cut and the team. Huge momentum for the 2017 class.

budwom
03-24-2016, 03:45 PM
FYI

Ha, he lost ten pounds between the headline and the article. :)

Bob Green
03-29-2016, 03:50 PM
Duke Spring Football Notebook No. 3 (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210839404&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

Article with comments on tight ends, running backs, redshirt players and potential team leaders including this positive observation from Coach Cutcliffe on the two redshirt freshmen quarterbacks Quentin Harris and Daniel Jones:

“I certainly am excited about what some of our redshirts are displaying and that includes both quarterbacks – without a doubt,” Cutcliffe commented. “Both are playing at a high level.”

Coach Cutcliffe also praised the physicality being displayed by Trevon McSwain (defensive end) and Zach Morris (defensive tackle). Overall a good article well worth taking time to read and comment on. Let's get some football discussion going, folks!

jv001
03-29-2016, 04:24 PM
Duke Spring Football Notebook No. 3 (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210839404&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

Article with comments on tight ends, running backs, redshirt players and potential team leaders including this positive observation from Coach Cutcliffe on the two redshirt freshmen quarterbacks Quentin Harris and Daniel Jones:

Coach Cutcliffe also praised the physicality being displayed by Trevon McSwain (defensive end) and Zach Morris (defensive tackle). Overall a good article well worth taking time to read and comment on. Let's get some football discussion going, folks!

Thanks for the link, Bob. Good information on our tight ends: Beilinson, Schneider, Helms and Koppenhaver from QB Boehme. Helms (Soph) the transfer from Tennessee is especially athletic according to Boehme. The QB also said Koppenhaver (Soph) has put on mass by working in the weight room. Good things regarding our tight ends. I also saw that Max McCaffrey ran a 4.36-40 and had a 36" vertical in his Duke pro-day. Looking good for another Duke FB player to be playing in the NFL. GoDuke!

devildeac
03-29-2016, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the link, Bob. Good information on our tight ends: Beilinson, Schneider, Helms and Koppenhaver from QB Boehme. Helms (Soph) the transfer from Tennessee is especially athletic according to Boehme. The QB also said Koppenhaver (Soph) has put on mass by working in the weight room. Good things regarding our tight ends. I also saw that Max McCaffrey ran a 4.36-40 and had a 36" vertical in his Duke pro-day. Looking good for another Duke FB player to be playing in the NFL. GoDuke!

Nice/encouraging to read. Thank you, gentlemen.

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 09:29 PM
Glad to hear that Nico Pierre is working into the rotation.

Any news on the D line? We have lots of talent at many spots, but a big step forward in the pass rush from the front would rock.

duke blue brewcrew
03-29-2016, 09:44 PM
Any news on the D line? We have lots of talent at many spots, but a big step forward in the pass rush from the front would rock.

The one Cutcliffe comment that I saw regarding the DLine in that article was, "“It’s good to see Zach Morris and Trevon McSwain be physical." The other thing that I've seen lately is more recruiting trail related. Albert has been cranking through talent evaluations, and making a few offers to some bigtime recruits.

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 09:47 PM
The one Cutcliffe comment that I saw regarding the DLine in that article was, "“It’s good to see Zach Morris and Trevon McSwain be physical."

Is the front line our thinnest corps?

Olympic Fan
03-29-2016, 09:56 PM

Not inside, where we have Wolf, Ramsey, Cerenord, Ferguson and Boyce, who have all seen considerable action. That doesn't count Zach Morris, a redshirt with a lot of promise.

Things are a lot more dicey at DE, where we have a number of redshirts with promise (McSwain being a prime example), but only Marquise Price has played any significant game action .. well, Allen Jackson is a redshirt senior who has played a handful of snaps.

Last year, we looked thin at DE and Cut filled the gap by moving some LBs to DE. That may happen again.

I would say that DE is our most unproven position (unless you think it's QB with Sirk out). We have a bunch of redshirt freshmen and incoming true freshmen who are rated higher than anything we've had there for a few years, but who knows how well they play next season.

PS That's regular position. Both our kickers will be total novices.

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 10:01 PM
Not inside, where we have Wolf, Ramsey, Cerenord, Ferguson and Boyce, who have all seen considerable action. That doesn't count Zach Morris, a redshirt with a lot of promise.

Things are a lot more dicey at DE, where we have a number of redshirts with promise (McSwain being a prime example), but only Marquise Price has played any significant game action .. well, Allen Jackson is a redshirt senior who has played a handful of snaps.

Last year, we looked thin at DE and Cut filled the gap by moving some LBs to DE. That may happen again.

I would say that DE is our most unproven position (unless you think it's QB with Sirk out). We have a bunch of redshirt freshmen and incoming true freshmen who are rated higher than anything we've had there for a few years, but who knows how well they play next season.

PS That's regular position. Both our kickers will be total novices.

Thanks Oly.

Agree on the kickers, and do not mean to sell that short given how crazy solid we have been with punting and place kicking. You are correct that I meant normal positions, and not QB either.

duke blue brewcrew
03-29-2016, 10:02 PM

Personally, I don't think so. That may be a Jim Sumner question though :)

Bob Green
03-31-2016, 07:57 PM
Video clip with Defensive Line Coach Ben Albert and Senior A.J. Wolf:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=5230799

duke blue brewcrew
03-31-2016, 08:08 PM

That was awesome, thanks Bob!

OldPhiKap
03-31-2016, 08:20 PM

Nice, thanks!

Bob Green
04-04-2016, 04:31 PM
Duke Spring Football Notebook #4:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210860765&DB_OEM_ID=4200

The Duke ground attack was paced by Boden’s 44 yards on five carries while Nicodem Pierre picked up 20 yards on five attempts.

Makes me wonder if Jela Duncan and Shaun Wilson participated in Saturday's 90 play scrimmage.

Quarterback Parker Boehme completed 12-of-18 passes for 121 yards and one touchdown with the scoring toss covering 23 yards to Boden.

It is good to read Boehme completed 66 percent of his passes but 6.7 yards per pass attempt isn't awe inspiring.

OldPhiKap
04-04-2016, 06:09 PM

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210860765&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Makes me wonder if Jela Duncan and Shaun Wilson participated in Saturday's 90 play scrimmage.

It is good to read Boehme completed 66 percent of his passes but 6.7 yards per pass attempt isn't awe inspiring.

You gotta get the bubble passes out of your system early.

CameronBornAndBred
04-04-2016, 07:19 PM

Is that more on him or more on play calling?

Bob Green
04-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC · 6h6 hours ago  Durham, NC

When assessing Duke QBs, David Cutcliffe reminds that "Thomas (Sirk) may be ready, just so everybody knows."

Coach Cutcliffe Spring Football press conference:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ID=5260720

duke blue brewcrew
04-07-2016, 04:19 PM

Awesome press conference, tons of info...thanks for sharing Bob! Very interesting comment about Sirk!

OldPhiKap
04-07-2016, 09:36 PM

A ton of changes this season, on the field and on the sidelines. And a much more challenging schedule.

Less than five months until first kick-off.

Bring it on.

CameronBornAndBred
04-09-2016, 10:04 AM
Spring game is on ESPN3 now. (10:00 am)

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id/2777050/duke-football-spring-game

OldPhiKap
04-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Spring game is on ESPN3 now. (10:00 am)

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id/2777050/duke-football-spring-game

This is worth watching, just to listen to Cut. Thanks for the heads-up.

OldPhiKap
04-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Coch Ben Albert is real deal. A strong D-line could really move us forward.vvand what he did at BC was very impressive.

CameronBornAndBred
04-09-2016, 10:45 AM
Sirk sounds very optimistic about his rehab progress.

Faison1
04-09-2016, 11:32 AM
The new press box looks pretty sweet...as does the stadium:

CameronBornAndBred
04-09-2016, 11:45 AM
Daniel Jones is showing that having Sirk healthy sooner than later is important. :(

Quentin Harris now in showing what he can do. Hopefully more than Jones.

CameronBornAndBred
04-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Daniel Jones is showing that having Sirk healthy sooner than later is important. :(

Nope, turnover city. Heal quick, Thomas! Parker needs you!

TruBlu
04-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Yep. Parker needs to stay healthy. Thomas needs to get healthy.

Only 4 linebackers?!?!? They need to stay healthy also. Are any true freshmen linebackers going to be in the mix?

The refs were terrible, especially when they awarded a touchdown to Miami (after the tv coverage ended) to win the scrimmage for Miami. Let's start a petition to overturn the results.:mad:

Bob Green
04-09-2016, 12:20 PM
I caught the last 45 minutes of the scrimmage. Redshirt freshman linebacker Joe Giles-Harris (#44) looked good. He picked off a Quentin Harris (#18) pass in the middle of the field and returned it for touchdown. Redshirt freshman defensive end Twazanga Mugala (#94) was very active.

Redshirt sophomores Trevon Lee (#84) and Chris Taylor (#82) looked good at wide receiver.

Bob Green
04-09-2016, 12:30 PM
Only 4 linebackers?!?!? They need to stay healthy also. Are any true freshmen linebackers going to be in the mix?

No idea if they will be in the mix, but the incoming freshman class includes three linebackers, four star Brandon Hill and two with three stars.

duke blue brewcrew
04-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Yep. Parker needs to stay healthy. Thomas needs to get healthy.

I agree and am hoping like crazy that Sirk finds a way to get healthy in time to play this season. That said, I do like the opportunities others are getting to develop and gain experience. While it's true that Duke has four LBs to work with this off season, there are 3 to 4 studs on their way in the door this season that I have to imagine can contribute immediately. Hill, Quansah, and Gagnon were recruited and listed as LBs. Morgenstern is listed as an ATH, but played some LB in HS IIRC.

duke blue brewcrew
04-09-2016, 12:57 PM
No idea if they will be in the mix, but the incoming freshman class includes three linebackers, four star Brandon Hill and two with three stars.

Speaking of stud LBs, I loved the Ben Humphreys timing blitz there late in the show case. He looks confident and instinctual. I can't wait to see his progression heading into this season.

Bob Green
04-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Another small observation worth mentioning is punt return duties. While there were no live punts/punt returns in today's scrimmage, punting did take place with a returner back fielding the punt and initiating a return against no defenders...

...several different players rotated in the punt returner role including Shaun Wilson (#29).

After his 98 yard kick-off return for a touchdown, in the Pinstripe Bowl, perhaps the staff is looking at punt return duties as another option to get Wilson the ball in open space to take advantage of his speed and elusive running style.

OldPhiKap
04-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Another small observation worth mentioning is punt return duties. While there were no live punts/punt returns in today's scrimmage, punting did take place with a returner back fielding the punt and initiating a return against no defenders...

...several different players rotated in the punt returner role including Shaun Wilson (#29).

After his 98 yard kick-off return for a touchdown, in the Pinstripe Bowl, perhaps the staff is looking at punt return duties as another option to get Wilson the ball in open space to take advantage of his speed and elusive running style.

During kickoff returns, Cut was in the booth. Cut said that Wilson told DeVon "the return job is mine." Looks like they are pushing each other, which is great.

mbird30
04-09-2016, 03:43 PM

I think Daniel Jones played great he only threw 2 bad passes and one of them was caught. The other was likely a result of the atrocious conditions. He had 4 guys drop passes (all of which were on the money) and one of them was picked off because of a drop (would have been a td if caught).

Olympic Fan
04-09-2016, 06:05 PM
A few observations:

-- Defense was pretty dominant in the scrimmage. The D-line was especially dominant.

-- The O-line has been bothered by injuries this spring. That might be the reason, but it was clearly outclassed today. Thursday, Cut said a true freshman might play at O-line next fall (something that's never happened in his regime). I take that as a bad sign for the O-line development.

-- The conditions -- the wind and the leaky O-line -- made it tough for the quarterbacks. I don't agree with mbird30 that Jones played "great" but I don't think his poor showing was necessarily evidence that he's not ready to play. But he was NOT sharp. Neither was Harris. And Boehme was so-so.

-- Despite the problems with the passing game, I thought some receivers showed something, including Chris Taylor (who was getting raves going into last season, then got hurt and never did anything) and Trevon Lee (who was so highly touted, but was TERRIBLE last fall). I also liked the idea that Keyston Fuller (a redshirt that I thought looked good in preseason scrimmages last year) won a most-improved player award for spring. Also, Dan Beilinson, a highly touted TE who has been hurt most of his Duke career, made a really tough catch. Disappointed I didn't get to see anything from Daniel Helm.

-- Not too worried about LB depth. We have a couple of freshmen coming in who could play right away (as Carmichael and Humphrey did the last two years). In addition, Duke has had a lot of luck moving safeties to LV (Dwayne Norman). We have a LOT of good safeties. I was impressed by Giles-Harris -- not only his interception, but also he had two more deflections on passes. Our LBs have struggled a bit in coverage over the last three years -- he might provide an answer.

-- The new press box tower looked GREAT! Can't wait until September.

Pghdukie
04-09-2016, 06:19 PM
A question to Mr. Green. In your opinion, which looks better - O-Line or D-Line ?

CameronBornAndBred
04-09-2016, 07:20 PM
Also, Dan Beilinson, a highly touted TE who has been hurt most of his Duke career, made a really tough catch.
I loved that catch. Really hope he is able to see the field this season, especially since he is from down the road in Cary. It's always nice to show a success story to in state recruits.

Bob Green
04-09-2016, 07:54 PM
A question to Mr. Green. In your opinion, which looks better - O-Line or D-Line ?

Based on the 45 minutes of scrimmage I saw today, the D-line.

Avvocato
04-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Here's a story on the Duke defensive line from ESPN.com's ACC blog. Doesn't really say much other than that we need to develop a pass rush and we're working on it, but still something to read.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/91863/developing-the-pass-rush-is-dukes-biggest-offseason-focus

duke blue brewcrew
04-13-2016, 09:11 AM
Here's a story on the Duke defensive line from ESPN.com's ACC blog. Doesn't really say much other than that we need to develop a pass rush and we're working on it, but still something to read.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/91863/developing-the-pass-rush-is-dukes-biggest-offseason-focus

My favorite take away from this article. Something Duke Football desperately needs to do on a consistent basis -

They talked about getting to the QB at all costs. No longer would this be a defense that played for the run and adjusted to the pass, Knowles said. Duke wanted to put the QB on the ground on every snap.

OldPhiKap
04-13-2016, 11:05 AM
My favorite take away from this article. Something Duke Football desperately needs to do on a consistent basis -

Amen.

Already looking forward to the season!

Bob Green
04-19-2016, 08:08 PM
The $64K question is which two:

Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC · 4h4 hours ago  North Carolina, USA

Duke has lost 2 young offensive linemen to career-ending injuries. Depth at the position is lacking

The offensive line has been a consistent strength in the Coach Cutcliffe era. All indications were it would be again in 2016, but injuries have dealt depth a blow.

OldPhiKap
04-19-2016, 08:21 PM

The offensive line has been a consistent strength in the Coach Cutcliffe era. All indications were it would be again in 2016, but injuries have dealt depth a blow.

That is a big bummer.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-19-2016, 10:49 PM

Kameron Schroder was injured during the 2015 season. Jake Sanders was injured this spring.
http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/injuries-sap-duke-s-offensive-line-depth/article_5b70b8a6-0669-11e6-9eb1-5fff74420a53.html

Olympic Fan
04-19-2016, 11:52 PM
Kameron Schroder was injured during the 2015 season. Jake Sanders was injured this spring.
http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/injuries-sap-duke-s-offensive-line-depth/article_5b70b8a6-0669-11e6-9eb1-5fff74420a53.html

Schroeder is old news ... he's already been replaced by an extra OL signee in the incoming class.

Jake Sanders and Tanner Stone were both hurt this past spring -- and that really hurt the Duke offensive line in the spring game. Both were in line to start (especially Stone, one of the most experienced guys coming back).

Do we know that their injuries are serious, even career-ending? Usually Duke sends out a release when a player suffers that kind of injury. So far, nothing on any long-term OL losses (not since Schroeder).

I'll try to follow up on this ... and find out how bad the injuries to Sanders and Stone are ... or if there is another player lost from the OL.

Bob Green
04-20-2016, 04:38 PM
I'll try to follow up on this ... and find out how bad the injuries to Sanders and Stone are ... or if there is another player lost from the OL.

Another Steve Wiseman tweet:

Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC · 3h3 hours ago

Per Duke, starting LG Tanner Stone had back surgery last Thursday. Again Cutcliffe is hopeful he'll be ready for the season

Olympic Fan
04-20-2016, 05:14 PM
Cutcliffe talked about his offensive line problems on today's ACC spring football teleconference.

He confirmed that Kameron Schroeder and Jake Sanders were the two players with career ending injuries.

He also said that Tanner Stone is undergoing back surgery -- and while he THINKS that Stone will be ready to go in August, there is no guarantee with back surgery. Plus, it almost certainly means that Stone will miss months of off-season lifting and conditioning (and before anyone asks, Stone missed the 2012 season with a voluntary redshirt, then missed the entire 2013 season with an injury. He played in 2014 and 2015 -- that means he would be eligible for a medical hardship sixth year if he can't play this coming season).

The loss of Schoeder is a long-term blow -- he was a very good prospect, but he never played at Duke. Without the injury, he'd probably be looking to win a backup role this year. Sanders is more serious -- he was a second-team guard last season as a redshirt freshman and was slated to contend for a starting job this fall as a redshirt soph. He was a VERY good prospect and his loss leaves a big hole in the depth chart.

If Stone can't play, that leaves an even bigger hole -- he was the most experienced offensive lineman on the roster.

Where does that leave Duke's offensive line next fall? The short answer is -- very short of depth.

Wednesday, during the ACC teleconference, Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson was asked about his offensive line and he said that these days, NOBODY is two deep on the offensive line. Instead, he said, coaches want "two centers, three guards and three tackles."

I'm not sure Duke can count on that. Duke is okay at tackle -- returning starters Casey Blaser and Gabe Brandner are back and redshirt junior Sterling Korona is a solid third tackle.

At center, Duke also has options -- redshirt junior Austin Davis has been lined up to replace Matt Skura for two years and redshirt soph Zack Harmon is a strong backup.

But the situation at guard is scary, especially if Stone can't return. Zack Baker is a redshirt freshman who started this spring. Normally, he'd be a backup this year. Either Harmon or Davis might end up starting (if Stone is out) -- which would mean that instead of five players to cover the center/guard spots, we'd to do it with three guys. Korona has worked some at guard, so he might help too, but, of course, that would limit the depth at tackle.

Any additional depth would have to come from some young guys who will have to show a lot more than they've showed so far -- redshirt sophs OT Christian Harris and/or OG Trip McNeill. There is also redshirt freshman OT Reno Rosene -- a fantastic physical specimen who has not been impressive so far.

Beyond that, there are four true freshmen in the incoming class (Robert Kraeling, Jaylen Miller, Liam Smith and Julian Santos), who collectively rank higher than any OL group that Duke has recruited. But no true freshman has played on the OL for Cutcliffe ... it would be desperation time if that happened this fall.

Understand that Duke has had a very stable OL situation since 2012. That's four straight solid offensive lines in a row. The unit would lose 1-2 guys every year, but there would be battle-tested backups in line to fill the gaps. That was supposed to be the case this year with starters Blaser, Brandner and Stone returning; with Davis well-prepared to replace Skura; and with Sanders ready to replace Lucas Patrick. But the injuries to Sanders and (maybe) Stone have shot that plan to hell.

That's going to be something to watch as the season approaches -- pray for Stone's surgery to go well and for him to make a rapid recovery. That would go a LONG way toward solving Duke's OL concerns. A big off-season jump by Harris and/or McNeill would help too.

Other Cutcliffe comments Wednesday:

-- This is still as skilled and as athletic a team as Cut has had at Duke ... but this offseason has presented the greatest among of change as he's had to deal with in his nine years at Duke.
-- "This is the most talented defensive front we've had -- especially inside". He also said some nice things about the ends -- especially Marquies Price and redshirt freshman Trevor McSwain.
-- Bryon Fields, who missed last season with a knee injury, is expected back full speed in August. He didn't take part on contract drills this spring, but moved very well in non-contact drills. Before his injury, he was Duke's best cover corner.
-- "Our secondary may be the strongest part of our team."

jimsumner
04-20-2016, 05:57 PM
Cutcliffe talked about his offensive line problems on today's ACC spring football teleconference.

He confirmed that Kameron Schroeder and Jake Sanders were the two players with career ending injuries.

He also said that Tanner Stone is undergoing back surgery -- and while he THINKS that Stone will be ready to go in August, there is no guarantee with back surgery. Plus, it almost certainly means that Stone will miss months of off-season lifting and conditioning (and before anyone asks, Stone missed the 2012 season with a voluntary redshirt, then missed the entire 2013 season with an injury. He played in 2014 and 2015 -- that means he would be eligible for a medical hardship sixth year if he can't play this coming season).

The loss of Schoeder is a long-term blow -- he was a very good prospect, but he never played at Duke. Without the injury, he'd probably be looking to win a backup role this year. Sanders is more serious -- he was a second-team guard last season as a redshirt freshman and was slated to contend for a starting job this fall as a redshirt soph. He was a VERY good prospect and his loss leaves a big hole in the depth chart.

If Stone can't play, that leaves an even bigger hole -- he was the most experienced offensive lineman on the roster.

Where does that leave Duke's offensive line next fall? The short answer is -- very short of depth.

Wednesday, during the ACC teleconference, Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson was asked about his offensive line and he said that these days, NOBODY is two deep on the offensive line. Instead, he said, coaches want "two centers, three guards and three tackles."

I'm not sure Duke can count on that. Duke is okay at tackle -- returning starters Casey Blaser and Gabe Brandner are back and redshirt junior Sterling Korona is a solid third tackle.

At center, Duke also has options -- redshirt junior Austin Davis has been lined up to replace Matt Skura for two years and redshirt soph Zack Harmon is a strong backup.

But the situation at guard is scary, especially if Stone can't return. Zack Baker is a redshirt freshman who started this spring. Normally, he'd be a backup this year. Either Harmon or Davis might end up starting (if Stone is out) -- which would mean that instead of five players to cover the center/guard spots, we'd to do it with three guys. Korona has worked some at guard, so he might help too, but, of course, that would limit the depth at tackle.

Any additional depth would have to come from some young guys who will have to show a lot more than they've showed so far -- redshirt sophs OT Christian Harris and/or OG Trip McNeill. There is also redshirt freshman OT Reno Rosene -- a fantastic physical specimen who has not been impressive so far.

Beyond that, there are four true freshmen in the incoming class (Robert Kraeling, Jaylen Miller, Liam Smith and Julian Santos), who collectively rank higher than any OL group that Duke has recruited. But no true freshman has played on the OL for Cutcliffe ... it would be desperation time if that happened this fall.

Understand that Duke has had a very stable OL situation since 2012. That's four straight solid offensive lines in a row. The unit would lose 1-2 guys every year, but there would be battle-tested backups in line to fill the gaps. That was supposed to be the case this year with starters Blaser, Brandner and Stone returning; with Davis well-prepared to replace Skura; and with Sanders ready to replace Lucas Patrick. But the injuries to Sanders and (maybe) Stone have shot that plan to hell.

That's going to be something to watch as the season approaches -- pray for Stone's surgery to go well and for him to make a rapid recovery. That would go a LONG way toward solving Duke's OL concerns. A big off-season jump by Harris and/or McNeill would help too.

Other Cutcliffe comments Wednesday:

-- This is still as skilled and as athletic a team as Cut has had at Duke ... but this offseason has presented the greatest among of change as he's had to deal with in his nine years at Duke.
-- "This is the most talented defensive front we've had -- especially inside". He also said some nice things about the ends -- especially Marquies Price and redshirt freshman Trevor McSwain.
-- Bryon Fields, who missed last season with a knee injury, is expected back full speed in August. He didn't take part on contract drills this spring, but moved very well in non-contact drills. Before his injury, he was Duke's best cover corner.
-- "Our secondary may be the strongest part of our team."

Korona played some guard earlier in his career. Practiced at guard might be more like it. Wouldn't be surprised to see him move back if Stone's recovery is slow.

Bob Green
04-21-2016, 04:50 AM

He also said that Tanner Stone is undergoing back surgery -- and while he THINKS that Stone will be ready to go in August, there is no guarantee with back surgery.

Korona played some guard earlier in his career. Practiced at guard might be more like it. Wouldn't be surprised to see him move back if Stone's recovery is slow.

Thank you both very much for the detailed update on the injury situation!

johnb
05-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Evrett Edwards announced he'll do his postgrad year at Iowa State. I have no idea of the actual back story, but on the surface, it underlines how good we've become, that one of our guys would get more pt at a Big 12 school.

He apparently graduated in 3 years... Smart guy aside from the transfer detail...

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/football/2016/05/02/college-football-recruiting-duke-graduate-transfer-evrett-edwards-picks-iowa-state/83849710/

Avvocato
05-03-2016, 12:17 PM
From ESPN.com's ACC blog, they ranked the quarterback situation at each school. Not surprisingly, we ranked 8th out of 14. They note that Boehme has some experience, that there is no experience behind him, and that there is some hope that Sirk can return. I personally think it's a fair ranking for the moment. I seem to be higher on Boehme than others here, though I also seem to be lower on Sirk than others. Is it football season yet? Three months until camp.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92112/post-spring-position-rankings-quarterback

CDu
05-03-2016, 09:42 PM
Just got my parking pass to go along with my season tickets. Only a few months to go!

budwom
05-04-2016, 08:51 AM
Just got my parking pass to go along with my season tickets. Only a few months to go!

for the second year in a row, the Iron Dukes bungled my parking pass....my e-mail (telling me it was my turn to select) is
one of hundreds "stuck in a server" whatever that may mean. Plus ca change.

60sDukie
05-04-2016, 09:16 AM
for the second year in a row, the Iron Dukes bungled my parking pass...my e-mail (telling me it was my turn to select) is

Me too! I checked my email almost hourly (I like to be on top of these things...) only to find out a day late that the email had arrived - stuck in my junk folder. Was lucky to get in B7. Needless to say a tad upset.

devildeac
05-04-2016, 09:55 AM
for the second year in a row, the Iron Dukes bungled my parking pass...my e-mail (telling me it was my turn to select) is

Me too! I checked my email almost hourly (I like to be on top of these things...) only to find out a day late that the email had arrived - stuck in my junk folder. Was lucky to get in B7. Needless to say a tad upset.

We must have been lucky last PM as we took just a few minutes and got our parking pass in the Chem lot without much hassle.

I'm still talking to you, budwom ;). Y'all need to drive down to NC and spend a couple (quiet, uncrowded, warm-but-not-hot) weeks at Topsail this fall that coincide with home FB and/or MBB games. If you do, I'd still like to reserve a small section of your vehicle for half a case of Heady and/or some Hill Farmstead beverages ;) .

Dev11
05-04-2016, 10:01 AM
Here's this week sign of the times.

As a former equipment manager, I used to get season passes to all the home games, a perk that all of the former players received. I just received my annual letter from Dr. White this week informing me about my passes, but this year they are only available for homecoming, and former players now have to pay for their seats, although at a discounted rate. I guess they can't afford to give away all of those seats anymore, but I can't complain about success.

devildeac
05-04-2016, 10:06 AM

As a former equipment manager, I used to get season passes to all the home games, a perk that all of the former players received. I just received my annual letter from Dr. White this week informing me about my passes, but this year they are only available for homecoming, and former players now have to pay for their seats, although at a discounted rate. I guess they can't afford to give away all of those seats anymore, but I can't complain about success.

Whoa! My younger son-in-law and his wife will not be pleased. Tough being a football school now :o .

duke79
05-04-2016, 10:49 AM

Ugh....with the stadium (at best) only half full for most of the home games, they can't give former players and others (including equipment managers) free tickets to the games to at least TRY to make it look a little more full and to give the current players and coaches some more "fan support"?? I find this incredible (and not very smart marketing). I think they need to be as creative as possible in getting fans in the seats for the home games. The "visual" when the games are televised is truly terrible. It has to hurt recruiting. I think they should be giving away more free tickets and have all sorts of give-aways during the games to entice more students and more people from Durham to attend. Let's face reality, Duke is not Alabama or Ohio State, when it comes to supporting the football team (and I don't think we ever will be) but the athletic department SHOULD be aiming to get at least 25,000 to 30,000 fans in the stadium by whatever means necessary!

IsInTheDetails
05-04-2016, 11:13 AM
From ESPN.com's ACC blog, they ranked the quarterback situation at each school. Not surprisingly, we ranked 8th out of 14. They note that Boehme has some experience, that there is no experience behind him, and that there is some hope that Sirk can return. I personally think it's a fair ranking for the moment. I seem to be higher on Boehme than others here, though I also seem to be lower on Sirk than others. Is it football season yet? Three months until camp.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92112/post-spring-position-rankings-quarterback

ESPN's blog is back, this time with a ranking of ACC teams by the running back position. While I basically agreed with their ranking Duke #8 of 14 at the QB position, especially given Sirk's health and lack of proven depth after Boehme, I feel like #10 of 14 for RB is a bit low.

Jela Duncan and Shaun Wilson have both shown (very different) flashes of excellence at the position, and it's easy to imagine one or both of them having a huge season for Duke, if we can cobble together enough depth on the O-line. I agree that we need to develop depth beyond those guys, but there's a good stable of potential with Pierre, Ajeigbe, Bolden, and freshmen Brown and Deveaux.

The top half of the rankings feature a lot of individual 1,000-yard rushers, which is something Duke hasn't boasted since Chris Douglas in 2003. Given the RB-by-committee approach we've taken under Cutcliffe, it's hard to imagine that'll change anytime soon.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92137/acc-post-spring-position-rankings-running-back

Dev11
05-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Ugh...with the stadium (at best) only half full for most of the home games, they can't give former players and others (including equipment managers) free tickets to the games to at least TRY to make it look a little more full and to give the current players and coaches some more "fan support"?? I find this incredible (and not very smart marketing). I think they need to be as creative as possible in getting fans in the seats for the home games. The "visual" when the games are televised is truly terrible. It has to hurt recruiting. I think they should be giving away more free tickets and have all sorts of give-aways during the games to entice more students and more people from Durham to attend. Let's face reality, Duke is not Alabama or Ohio State, when it comes to supporting the football team (and I don't think we ever will be) but the athletic department SHOULD be aiming to get at least 25,000 to 30,000 fans in the stadium by whatever means necessary!

Well, the former players are told to sit in the GA area and the alumni box, so the visual doesn't add much, but it is a little annoying.

DD, your son-in-law SHOULD be resourceful enough to get into the stadium without a ticket, but sometimes I worry about him.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Well, the former players are told to sit in the GA area and the alumni box, so the visual doesn't add much, but it is a little annoying.

DD, your son-in-law SHOULD be resourceful enough to get into the stadium without a ticket, but sometimes I worry about him.
Hasn't the Alumni Box been removed as part of the renovations?

jv001
05-04-2016, 12:57 PM
ESPN's blog is back, this time with a ranking of ACC teams by the running back position. While I basically agreed with their ranking Duke #8 of 14 at the QB position, especially given Sirk's health and lack of proven depth after Boehme, I feel like #10 of 14 for RB is a bit low.

Jela Duncan and Shaun Wilson have both shown (very different) flashes of excellence at the position, and it's easy to imagine one or both of them having a huge season for Duke, if we can cobble together enough depth on the O-line. I agree that we need to develop depth beyond those guys, but there's a good stable of potential with Pierre, Ajeigbe, Bolden, and freshmen Brown and Deveaux.

The top half of the rankings feature a lot of individual 1,000-yard rushers, which is something Duke hasn't boasted since Chris Douglas in 2003. Given the RB-by-committee approach we've taken under Cutcliffe, it's hard to imagine that'll change anytime soon.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92137/acc-post-spring-position-rankings-running-back

I guess Mr. Bolden plays a mean game of football before he get's on Coach K Court. :cool: Oh, wait a minute that's a different Bolden. GoDuke!

IsInTheDetails
05-04-2016, 01:08 PM
I guess Mr. Bolden plays a mean game of football before he get's on Coach K Court. :cool: Oh, wait a minute that's a different Bolden. GoDuke!

Good catch! (Argghh.) "Boden," of course. I suppose it's obvious what's on my mind, as far as Duke sports are concerned. . .

Anyhow, Bolden would be no good in the backfield. He's too indecisive.

budwom
05-04-2016, 01:11 PM
We must have been lucky last PM as we took just a few minutes and got our parking pass in the Chem lot without much hassle.

I'm still talking to you, budwom ;). Y'all need to drive down to NC and spend a couple (quiet, uncrowded, warm-but-not-hot) weeks at Topsail this fall that coincide with home FB and/or MBB games. If you do, I'd still like to reserve a small section of your vehicle for half a case of Heady and/or some Hill Farmstead beverages ;) .

Chem Lot is on the wrong side of the stadium for us as we sit on the exotic Upper East Side. I should have been in line for at least
the B-7, but the email intended for me never made it out of the Duke server because of some excuse.

We are coming down in the Fall, via aeroplane, TSA not keen on heady topper carry on (and as I type this, my marvelous wife is procuring our
allotment of two more four packs. Inventory.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-04-2016, 01:15 PM
Here's a link to another back story about one of our football players who's quietly dealt with health issues... what strength and perseverance!
http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-TE-Davis-Koppenhaver-beats-cancer-to-stay-on-the-field-45169471

budwom
05-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Here's a link to another back story about one of our football players who's quietly dealt with health issues... what strength and perseverance!
http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-TE-Davis-Koppenhaver-beats-cancer-to-stay-on-the-field-45169471

Good story..I had wondered about him...for several years we seemed to have, on paper, an abundance of tight ends, but they kept
disappearing into some black hole in the Yoh building...Beilenson was highly touted, but has had injuries and played fewer than 100 snaps in his career...Deaver had a great year,
then an ACL injury, then last year's highly disappointing year...Schneider, now a RS-Sr, has seven receptions in three years...now we know why Koppenhaver disappeared...

I just hope Daniel Helm is half as good as he's been cracked up to be...

devildeac
05-04-2016, 03:02 PM

Good story..I had wondered about him...for several years we seemed to have, on paper, an abundance of tight ends, but they kept
disappearing into some black hole in the Yoh building...Beilenson was highly touted, but has had injuries and played fewer than 100 snaps in his career...Deaver had a great year,
then an ACL injury, then last year's highly disappointing year...Schneider, now a RS-Sr, has seven receptions in three years...now we know why Koppenhaver disappeared...

I just hope Daniel Helm is half as good as he's been cracked up to be...

Wow, even if this young man never plays another snap for Duke, I'm going to root like crazy for him as he walks along life's journey. If he does play this and/or next year, I'll be one of the louder fans for him in the stands.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-04-2016, 04:25 PM
"This is a picture of me exactly one year ago," Koppenhaver's post begins. "I was 192 pounds while recovering from back to back surgeries on my shoulder and tonsils plus a surprise recurrence of a cancer I first had when I was 10."
Good for him and welcome back, whether or not you play football!

I'd love to get down to 192 pounds, but I don't want to get cancer to do it. No way, no how! :cool:

Budwom, last year I was stuck in the B-7 lot. Not so bad walking to the Card Gym Lot for our tailgate in Blue Devil Alley. This year, my choices this morning were Chem Lot, DU Road lot 1 and lot 2 (where we are stuck for bball). We chose Chem Lot.

CameronBornAndBred
05-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Chem Lot is on the wrong side of the stadium for us as we sit on the exotic Upper East Side. I should have been in line for at least
the B-7, but the email intended for me never made it out of the Duke server because of some excuse.

We are coming down in the Fall, via aeroplane, TSA not keen on heady topper carry on (and as I type this, my marvelous wife is procuring our
allotment of two more four packs. Inventory.
Doesn't matter where you sit, it matters where you tailgate! (And chem lot is on the correct side of the stadium for the best of all tailgates.)

Avvocato
05-04-2016, 06:14 PM
And here's ESPN's ranking of the ACC teams based on their wide receivers/tight ends:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92142/post-spring-position-rankings-wide-receiverstight-ends

We once again ranked 8th out of 14.

Bob Green
05-04-2016, 07:13 PM
We once again ranked 8th out of 14.

So we are 8 of 14 for receivers, but 10 of 14 for running backs. Sounds to me like ESPN needs to provide a urine sample because they are smoking something and it isn't good old North Carolina tobacco.

Jela Duncan and Shaun Wilson plus one of the true freshmen are going to be a team strength.

Avvocato
05-05-2016, 09:42 AM
And ESPN's ranking of the ACC's front 7 on defense:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92158/post-spring-position-rankings-front-seven

We are ranked 12th out of 14.

Olympic Fan
05-05-2016, 01:16 PM
And ESPN's ranking of the ACC's front 7 on defense:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92158/post-spring-position-rankings-front-seven

We are ranked 12th out of 14.

I think that's fair ... although I think and hope we'll be better than that. I believe our interior is deep, experienced and reasonably talented. Our first three LBs are very solid, but depth will have to come from some young guys -- redshirt freshmen Giles-Harris looked very good in spring and couple of the true freshmen are studs.

But DE is a big question mark. The position basically depends on freshmen and redshirt freshmen. They have talent I doubt that anybody has less experience at DE than Duke.

So far, I think Andrea's rankings have been fair. The only one I disagree with is RB. I think the numbers are a bit skewed there because Sirk was so much of our running game last year that it reduced the production of our RBs. Without Sirk this yea (or with Sirk back, but coming of an injury) our RBs will get a lot more work. I love the Duncan-Wilson duo, I love the potential of Pierre and I'm very excited about the two newcomers. Ajeigbe and Boden are both serviceable ballcarriers. I love our depth there.

Note: Interesting that ESPN rates the "Front Seven" - when Duke plays a Front Six

devildeac
05-05-2016, 01:29 PM
I think that's fair ... although I think and hope we'll be better than that. I believe our interior is deep, experienced and reasonably talented. Our first three LBs are very solid, but depth will have to come from some young guys -- redshirt freshmen Giles-Harris looked very good in spring and couple of the true freshmen are studs.

But DE is a big question mark. The position basically depends on freshmen and redshirt freshmen. They have talent I doubt that anybody has less experience at DE than Duke.

So far, I think Andrea's rankings have been fair. The only one I disagree with is RB. I think the numbers are a bit skewed there because Sirk was so much of our running game last year that it reduced the production of our RBs. Without Sirk this yea (or with Sirk back, but coming of an injury) our RBs will get a lot more work. I love the Duncan-Wilson duo, I love the potential of Pierre and I'm very excited about the two newcomers. Ajeigbe and Boden are both serviceable ballcarriers. I love our depth there.

Note: Interesting that ESPN rates the "Front Seven" - when Duke plays a Front Six

<insert snide remark here about unc-espn math> :o:rolleyes:

Avvocato
05-05-2016, 02:17 PM
And here is ESPN's ranking of the ACC offensive lines:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92169/post-spring-position-rankings-offensive-line

We are once again 8th out of 14.

CameronBornAndBred
05-06-2016, 09:11 AM
We are once again 8th out of 14.
All of these 8/14 votes is lining us up perfectly to be chosen to finish 12th. :rolleyes:

IsInTheDetails
05-06-2016, 09:43 AM
All of these 8/14 votes is lining us up perfectly to be chosen to finish 12th. :rolleyes:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92174/post-spring-position-rankings-secondary

ESPN ranks Duke's secondary. . .wait for it. . .#8 of 14.

Fields, Edwards, and Singleton give us experience and talent. Cash is gone. Singleton The Second (Dylan) could be ready to contribute as a freshman. Which of the Cheetahs is ready to step up?

TruBlu
05-06-2016, 10:07 AM

Well, Campus Insiders has us at 13th out of 14, ahead of only Virginia. :confused:

Some people are going to be eating crow at the end of the season.

(I would link, but the only thing I'm worse at than linking is arguing with my wife.:eek:)

johnb
05-06-2016, 11:32 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92174/post-spring-position-rankings-secondary

ESPN ranks Duke's secondary. . .wait for it. . .#8 of 14.

Fields, Edwards, and Singleton give us experience and talent. Cash is gone. Singleton The Second (Dylan) could be ready to contribute as a freshman. Which of the Cheetahs is ready to step up?

I agree that the cheetahs will be a strength, but Edwards will be providing his talent and experience to Iowa State in 2017...
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/football/2016/05/02/college-football-recruiting-duke-graduate-transfer-evrett-edwards-picks-iowa-state/83849710/

IsInTheDetails
05-06-2016, 11:39 AM
I agree that the cheetahs will be a strength, but Edwards will be providing his talent and experience to Iowa State in 2017...

DeVon, thankfully, has one more year to go as a Blue Devil, though he'll of course be at cornerback this year, not safety.

OldPhiKap
05-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Well, Campus Insiders has us at 13th out of 14, ahead of only Virginia. :confused:

Some people are going to be eating crow at the end of the season.

(I would link, but the only thing I'm worse at than linking is arguing with my wife.:eek:)

There are two ways to argue with your wife.

Neither one works.

Bob Green
05-06-2016, 12:05 PM
DeVon, thankfully, has one more year to go as a Blue Devil, though he'll of course be at cornerback this year, not safety.

Safety is a question mark due to the requirement to replace two of three starters. Cash has graduated and DeVon Edwards has moved to cornerback leaving Deondre Singleton as the lone returning starter. Corbin McCarthy has played lots of snaps so he should be in line to move up and start, but he will have to compete with a lot of folks such as Phillip Carter, Jake Kite, Alonzo Saxton, Jordan Hayes, Brandon Feamster, Jacob Morganstern and Dylan Singleton. There is much unproven talent at safety on the roster.

Speaking of unproven talent, I see that as the difference between our running backs and wide receivers. Running backs Jela Duncan and Shaun Wilson have proven they are talented with strong on field performances, while the majority of our wide receivers still have to prove they have the talent to compete. There is a lot of recruited receiver talent on the roster but it remains to be seen if that talent can perform at the FBS level. T.J. Rahming being the exception.

Olympic Fan
05-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Safety is a question mark due to the requirement to replace two of three starters. Cash has graduated and DeVon Edwards has moved to cornerback leaving Deondre Singleton as the lone returning starter. Corbin McCarthy has played lots of snaps so he should be in line to move up and start, but he will have to compete with a lot of folks such as Phillip Carter, Jake Kite, Alonzo Saxton, Jordan Hayes, Brandon Feamster, Jacob Morganstern and Dylan Singleton. There is much unproven talent at safety on the roster.

I understand why saying that Duke loses two of three starting safeties sounds like a problem, but in reality, Duke only loses one safety -- Cash, who was a very, VERY good one.

DeVon Edwards, who has started at safety for two and a half years, is moving to cornerback. But I very much doubt that Cut makes that move if he had any concerns at safety. Indeed, the move was made because we have so much depth of talent at safety. At corner, we have Borders and hopefully a healthy Fields (who was our best cover guy in 2014), plus Jeremy McDuffie, who struggled as a true freshman, but has some very solid skills. That's not bad, but we have a lot more depth and potential at safety than at CB.

I've mostly agreed with Andrea's rankings (a slight quibble with RBs at No. 10), but I think she is way off the mark on this one.

Of course, unless our pass rush improves, our secondary will continue to struggle, but with a reasonable rush, we can have one of the best secondaries in the ACC.

Bob Green
05-06-2016, 01:12 PM
I understand why saying that Duke loses two of three starting safeties sounds like a problem, but in reality, Duke only loses one safety -- Cash, who was a very, VERY good one.

I believe we are saying the same thing as I didn't say the safety position was a problem, I said it was a question. Bottom line is I agree with you 100 percent on the pass rush. Our secondary's performance will be directly linked to the ability to generate a pass rush.

budwom
05-06-2016, 02:34 PM
Cut seems to have mentioned pass rush as an area begging for improvement for about five or six years now (at least) yet we just haven't had the horses to pull it off.

I think we may now have the horses on the roster, but I'm not sure they're experienced enough at this point.
I do think the new DL coach may be of considerable help, if his work at BC is any indication.

Avvocato
05-06-2016, 05:10 PM

DeVon Edwards, who has started at safety for two and a half years, is moving to cornerback. But I very much doubt that Cut makes that move if he had any concerns at safety. Indeed, the move was made because we have so much depth of talent at safety. At corner, we have Borders and hopefully a healthy Fields (who was our best cover guy in 2014), plus Jeremy McDuffie, who struggled as a true freshman, but has some very solid skills. That's not bad, but we have a lot more depth and potential at safety than at CB.

I've mostly agreed with Andrea's rankings (a slight quibble with RBs at No. 10), but I think she is way off the mark on this one.

Of course, unless our pass rush improves, our secondary will continue to struggle, but with a reasonable rush, we can have one of the best secondaries in the ACC.

I think this is spot on. I actually like McDuffie. He definitely struggled as a freshman getting beat on passes and missing some tackles. I know from the boards many disagree, but I like him. He always seemed to be in position to make plays. Hopefully with a year under his belt and more confidence, he'll be finishing off those plays. Also, without a pass rush, the secondary doesn't have a chance. We don't even need sacks as much as forcing throws before the QB wants, disrupting his timing, getting in his face, putting him on the ground, making him throw it away, etc. I'll take sacks, too. Just saying. In any case, I'm really anxious to see what Ben Albert does with the line. We have a pretty good secondary. It just needs help from the rest of the defense by keeping the opposing offenses to second and third and long situations and more of a pass rush.

mbird30
05-08-2016, 10:28 AM
I think this is spot on. I actually like McDuffie. He definitely struggled as a freshman getting beat on passes and missing some tackles. I know from the boards many disagree, but I like him. He always seemed to be in position to make plays. Hopefully with a year under his belt and more confidence, he'll be finishing off those plays.

I totally agree about McDuffie. I actually think he turns into a great player by the time he graduates. His problems last year are what Ross Cockrell called "growing pains", and he turned into one hell of a CB

Bob Green
05-11-2016, 06:16 AM
From The Devils Den (Scout site):

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story/1668859-depth-chart-notes-post-spring-practice

I don't believe this 2 Deep Chart means a whole lot but it could generate some discussion so I am linking it. Injured players Thomas Sirk and Tanner Stone are listed as starters. Is this optimism? Or is it denial? Walk on Danny Doyle is listed as a starter at defensive end and Chris Taylor is above T.J. Rahming at receiver. Erich Schneider is above Dan Helm at TE.

Quay Chambers being listed as the starting slot receiver is interesting. Chambers has great size at 6'3" 220 and Coach Cutcliffe commented on his explosiveness during his true freshman season when Chambers was given a shot at playing quarterback. If Chambers' receiver skills have developed, he could have a breakout season in the slot.

Several true freshmen will compete to move into the 2 Deep rotation so lots of change will occur prior to kick off on September 3rd, but this chart will give us something to talk about in the interim.

OldPhiKap
05-11-2016, 06:56 AM
From The Devils Den (Scout site):

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story/1668859-depth-chart-notes-post-spring-practice

I don't believe this 2 Deep Chart means a whole lot but it could generate some discussion so I am linking it. Injured players Thomas Sirk and Tanner Stone are listed as starters. Is this optimism? Or is it denial? Walk on Danny Doyle is listed as a starter at defensive end and Chris Taylor is above T.J. Rahming at receiver. Erich Schneider is above Dan Helm at TE.

Quay Chambers being listed as the starting slot receiver is interesting. Chambers has great size at 6'3" 220 and Coach Cutcliffe commented on his explosiveness during his true freshman season when Chambers was given a shot at playing quarterback. If Chambers' receiver skills have developed, he could have a breakout season in the slot.

Several true freshmen will compete to move into the 2 Deep rotation so lots of change will occur prior to kick off on September 3rd, but this chart will give us something to talk about in the interim.

What is a "Mike linebacker" and a "Will linebacker"?

Reilly
05-11-2016, 07:28 AM
What is a "Mike linebacker" and a "Will linebacker"?

I think Mike = middle linebacker and Will = weakside (non-TE?) linebacker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linebacker

OZZIE4DUKE
05-11-2016, 12:19 PM
I think Mike = middle linebacker and Will = weakside (non-TE?) linebacker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linebacker
Yes. And the Sam linebacker is the strong side linebacker. Not knowing how to spell severely limits the carolina defensive schemes! ;) LGD GTHc!

RepoMan
05-11-2016, 03:34 PM
Cut sounds optimistic about return. I never thought that would happen after I heard about the injury: http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92236/david-cutcliffe-hopeful-qb-thomas-sirk-will-be-ready-for-opener

hackysack123
05-11-2016, 03:40 PM
Great news about Sirk. So excited for the season to start.

BigWayne
05-11-2016, 05:54 PM
Cut sounds optimistic about return. I never thought that would happen after I heard about the injury: http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92236/david-cutcliffe-hopeful-qb-thomas-sirk-will-be-ready-for-opener

Article is confusing about which foot is damaged. This year is his left achilles. 2013 it was his right achilles. Presumably, he and the staff learned from the first go round on how to rehab it and they are using that knowledge to make progress on the rehab faster this time.

Olympic Fan
05-11-2016, 07:55 PM

Wow, this is great news. If Sirk can play -- at a level close to last season -- then my optimism for next season is through the roof.

gumbomoop
05-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Duke-Miami game and new ACC video replay command center.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15520446/acc-first-conference-use-replay-command-center

Avvocato
05-12-2016, 05:42 PM
Wow, this is great news. If Sirk can play -- at a level close to last season -- then my optimism for next season is through the roof.

I seem to be one of the few on these Boards that is more critical of Sirk's play. I think Sirk was not very good last year. I don't think he's great at reading the passing game situations/defense, anticipating throws, he checks down to the backs too quickly and is not accurate (especially on deep balls). The combination of the above leads to not only scoring less than we should have, but to killing drives, which puts more pressure on a defense that needs pressure taken off of it. The defense played great the first half of last season but wore down by the end (also attributed to playing a harder schedule in the second half last year). I am not convinced that Sirk is the guy to lead us to where we want to go. I hope I'm wrong. To be fair to him, he has all of the tools to be an excellent quarterback. He has the size, speed, arm strength, etc. His best asset is that he plays his best ball in late game situations. It's probably the best compliment you can give to a quarterback, and I appreciate and respect that about him. I'm also not ignoring the good plays he made, because he obviously made some. I just don't think that compensates for all of the other issues. Of course I'm rooting for Sirk, when healthy, to play great football. I hope that last year he got tons of experience so that when he does return this season, he takes his game to another level. I'm just not confident that he's the type of player that will make that leap. Normally, you see a guy develop over the course of a season. Sirk pretty much was what he was most of last season. Against good teams, he didn't play well. Against bad teams, he played well. He's a great, thumping, hard as nails runner as a quarterback, but that can't be the key to our offense. We need a quarterback who can make the right reads, deliver the ball to players who are open, and not miss every open deep receiver (we can't give up easy, gimme touchdowns). We need someone who can throw the ball not just down field, but hit the intermediate passes. An efficient passing game will also open up the running game, move the chains, and take pressure off the defense (oh and score points). I know many blame Sirk's performance last year on the play calling or will say the receivers didn't get open. There's some truth to that, but I don't think those are the reasons for Sirk's overall performance last season (in my eyes). Again, I'm rooting like heck for Sirk and everyone else who lines up under center (or in the shotgun) next season, and will be rooting with everything I've got for Sirk if he's the one playing. I just personally think some are overrating his performance last season. I was (and am) looking forward to seeing what Boehme can do with an opportunity. But if Sirk is healthy and given the keys, let's go Sirk and let's go Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
05-12-2016, 06:10 PM
I seem to be one of the few on these Boards that is more critical of Sirk's play. I think Sirk was not very good last year. I don't think he's great at reading the passing game situations/defense, anticipating throws, he checks down to the backs too quickly and is not accurate (especially on deep balls).e.
But you aren't alone, and I worry about a less than amazing QB stepping into the starting slot without a full Spring/Summer to help him improve. Plus, I really liked a lot that I saw from Boehme last year. I DO like having two QBs with field experience ready to play, because it was obvious during the Spring game that the guys waiting in the wings aren't ready yet. If it's Parker on the field first, I won't complain; let's see what he does.

Bob Green
05-12-2016, 06:41 PM
I seem to be one of the few on these Boards that is more critical of Sirk's play. I think Sirk was not very good last year. I don't think he's great at reading the passing game situations/defense, anticipating throws, he checks down to the backs too quickly and is not accurate (especially on deep balls).

I agree Sirk needs to improve his deep ball accuracy but I disagree on your other points. My observations are Sirk throws the ball to open receivers so he is reading the passing game situations/defense correctly and I have not observed him checking down too quickly. In fact, on at least a couple of occasions he checked down a second too late.

Sirk needs to improve his accuracy on deep throws but he brings a lot of positives onto the field: leadership, tenacity, tough as nails runner with superb straight line speed. I'm with Olympic Fan on this one, a healthy Sirk fuels my optimism. If Sirk can't play, I like what I've seen from Parker Boehme, but I'll be much happier with both Sirk and Boehme healthy, dressed and ready for action on September 3rd.

IsInTheDetails
05-13-2016, 10:20 AM
I agree Sirk needs to improve his deep ball accuracy but I disagree on your other points. My observations are Sirk throws the ball to open receivers so he is reading the passing game situations/defense correctly and I have not observed him checking down too quickly. In fact, on at least a couple of occasions he checked down a second too late.

Sirk needs to improve his accuracy on deep throws but he brings a lot of positives onto the field: leadership, tenacity, tough as nails runner with superb straight line speed. I'm with Olympic Fan on this one, a healthy Sirk fuels my optimism. If Sirk can't play, I like what I've seen from Parker Boehme, but I'll be much happier with both Sirk and Boehme healthy, dressed and ready for action on September 3rd.

I agree that Sirk brings lots of positives to the field, not least of all that in tight late game situations, he seems to be at his best. That competitive drive can't be learned. I also think his decision-making is decent most of the time. On the other hand, he clearly has room to improve in accuracy, especially down the field.

I do wonder how much of Sirk's apparent struggles throwing the ball last year were related to the fact that outside of McCaffrey we didn't have any really consistent producers at WR or TE, much less game-changing producers. Would Sirk's issues have seemed that bad if he'd had a Crowder or a Vernon making tough catches, adjusting to the ball in flight, and/or turning short gains into big ones? His stats certainly would have been better, and they weren't terrible in any case.

Some might argue that we'd be better with Boehme at #1, and from what we saw last year, I don't think he's much of a downgrade from Sirk. But there's no question that if we have a healthy Boehme and a near-healthy Sirk by September, we'll be a stronger team for it. If they can both get some game reps before we see Northwestern and Notre Dame back to back, I'll be a happy fan.

Honestly, the bigger questions in my mind on the offensive side of the ball will be (a) who is out there catching the ball, and (b) how will the offensive line hold up. We have a lot of unproven talent at WR, TE, and O-line. How those guys go, the QB will go. Football is the ultimate team sport that way.

AustinDevil
05-13-2016, 11:53 AM
I agree that Sirk brings lots of positives to the field, not least of all that in tight late game situations, he seems to be at his best. That competitive drive can't be learned. I also think his decision-making is decent most of the time. On the other hand, he clearly has room to improve in accuracy, especially down the field.

I do wonder how much of Sirk's apparent struggles throwing the ball last year were related to the fact that outside of McCaffrey we didn't have any really consistent producers at WR or TE, much less game-changing producers. Would Sirk's issues have seemed that bad if he'd had a Crowder or a Vernon making tough catches, adjusting to the ball in flight, and/or turning short gains into big ones? His stats certainly would have been better, and they weren't terrible in any case.

Some might argue that we'd be better with Boehme at #1, and from what we saw last year, I don't think he's much of a downgrade from Sirk. But there's no question that if we have a healthy Boehme and a near-healthy Sirk by September, we'll be a stronger team for it. If they can both get some game reps before we see Northwestern and Notre Dame back to back, I'll be a happy fan.

Honestly, the bigger questions in my mind on the offensive side of the ball will be (a) who is out there catching the ball, and (b) how will the offensive line hold up. We have a lot of unproven talent at WR, TE, and O-line. How those guys go, the QB will go. Football is the ultimate team sport that way.

I love Thomas Sirk's passion and toughness and he can be great when running. But the notion in a few recent posts that he was inaccurate mainly on long throws, or the true-but-overly-charitable-to-Sirk comment in this one that he just didn't have game-changing producers in the receiver corps, really glosses over what I saw last year. Sirk was inaccurate short, left, right, and mid-range, in addition to deep. The single worst example was the first drive at UVa, where their defense bit hard on the fake run and all that was between Duke and a 7-0 lead in a key road game was a gently lofted pass to a receiver who had ten yards on the nearest defender. Sirk, under no pressure, overthrew McCaffrey by about 10 yards.

jimsumner
05-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Sirk completed 58.8 percent of his passes last season, hardly elite but hardly reflective of what some of his critics seem to feel.

He does have one obvious flaw, a tendency to throw off his back foot when under duress, which causes the ball to sail.

I was hoping that Duke could iron out this flaw during the past spring.

Obviously, that didn't happen. So, even a healthy Sirk this fall-a much desired outcome, IMO--is still a healthy Sirk who couldn't refine his game in the last spring practice available to him.

That said, Parker Boehme had a lower completion percentage, albeit in a smaller sample size.

OldPhiKap
05-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Thomas showed strong leadership abilities, leading the team down the field at crunch time in several games.

Boone's career percentage completion was 58.5% ( http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=204969470 ). So, while not great, Sirk's 58.8% completion rate in his first year as a starter was not a drop off. (Note I am not saying that is going to get us back to a bowl this year, given our tougher schedule, nor am I suggesting the Boon's passing was above adequate).

Bottom line for me is, you don't lose your starting spot due to injuries. If Parker can beat him out for the job in practice, so be it. But having Thomas out there is a good thing in my book.

Avvocato
05-13-2016, 02:55 PM
Sirk completed 58.8 percent of his passes last season, hardly elite but hardly reflective of what some of his critics seem to feel.

I don't want to belabor the point, but I believe much of Sirk's completions were within a few yards of the line of scrimmage (also attributing to his low yards per attempt figure). I'm not basing my view on Sirk solely by his numbers (though his yards per attempt, especially against the better teams, is not a great statistic when judging his play). In any case, like others, happy to have both QBs healthy and ready to play. I also agree with Old Phi Kap that Sirk is and will be the starter, if healthy. Regardless of what I think, Cut is very loyal to Sirk and I don't see him losing his starter's job due to injury. The only reason I see for a change in status would be if Parker started the season (with Sirk still not ready) and just exploded, forcing Cut to make a decision (I still think Cut would start Sirk, IMO). Otherwise, I think Sirk would have to lose the job on the field, and Boehme would have to win it.

On a side note, there's a piece on Bryon Fields and Duke's secondary on ESPN's ACC blog:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92277/return-of-bryon-fields-could-be-huge-for-dukes-d

IsInTheDetails
05-13-2016, 03:00 PM
One of our most talented players never saw the field last season, of course. Bryon Fields would have been an important piece of the defense as a lockdown corner, and he'll certainly be a key part of the secondary this year.

Good article (http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92277/return-of-bryon-fields-could-be-huge-for-dukes-d) today on ESPN by David Hale. One interesting question raised here (by Coach Knowles) is where Fields will be slotted back in. I'd assumed he'd be back at corner, but it seems there's a possibility he'll move to safety. Heck, he and DeVon Edwards could probably line up anywhere in the secondary at times, and maybe that's part of the plan. That's a lot for opposing QBs to keep track of!

BigWayne
05-18-2016, 05:05 PM
Duke-Miami game and new ACC video replay command center.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15520446/acc-first-conference-use-replay-command-center

SEC is jumping on the bandwagon now also. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15581330/sec-officials-headquarters-assist-instant-replay-calls)

OldPhiKap
05-18-2016, 06:54 PM
Cut tweeting about a new commit -- any news?

BigWayne
05-18-2016, 07:18 PM

Maybe this one:

http://247sports.com/player/chris-rumph-ii-80955

Bob Green
05-18-2016, 07:18 PM

Coach Jones' tweet makes it sound like a defensive lineman has verbally committed:

Derek Jones ‏@dukecoachdj · 42m42 minutes ago

Sound the Alarm!!! #DukeGang just got better. A RushMen is a Cheetahs best friend!!! @CoachJimBridge @coachbenalbert

Bob Green
05-18-2016, 07:24 PM
3* DE/OLB Chris Rumph:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Three-Star-2017-DE-Chris-Rumph-II-commits-to-Duke-45391692

His father is the defensive line coach at Florida.

OldPhiKap
05-19-2016, 10:44 PM
3* DE/OLB Chris Rumph:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Three-Star-2017-DE-Chris-Rumph-II-commits-to-Duke-45391692

His father is the defensive line coach at Florida.

Welcome, Chris!

Olympic Fan
05-22-2016, 12:15 AM
I know this happened on Friday the 13th, but ESPN just posted the video of Cut's first pitch at Yankee Stadium:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92398/david-cutcliffe-throws-junk-during-his-ceremonial-first-pitch-at-yankee-stadium

Not a bad pitch for a ceremonial toss.

Avvocato
05-24-2016, 06:38 PM
Nice story posted on espn.com with video of Duke surprising walk-on DE Danny Doyle with a scholarship.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92448/duke-surprises-walk-on-de-danny-doyle-with-scholarship

oldnavy
05-25-2016, 08:25 AM
I don't want to belabor the point, but I believe much of Sirk's completions were within a few yards of the line of scrimmage (also attributing to his low yards per attempt figure). I'm not basing my view on Sirk solely by his numbers (though his yards per attempt, especially against the better teams, is not a great statistic when judging his play). In any case, like others, happy to have both QBs healthy and ready to play. I also agree with Old Phi Kap that Sirk is and will be the starter, if healthy. Regardless of what I think, Cut is very loyal to Sirk and I don't see him losing his starter's job due to injury. The only reason I see for a change in status would be if Parker started the season (with Sirk still not ready) and just exploded, forcing Cut to make a decision (I still think Cut would start Sirk, IMO). Otherwise, I think Sirk would have to lose the job on the field, and Boehme would have to win it.

On a side note, there's a piece on Bryon Fields and Duke's secondary on ESPN's ACC blog:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92277/return-of-bryon-fields-could-be-huge-for-dukes-d

I tend to agree with you. IMO, Sirk was not very good throwing the deep ball. I can remember several times he overthrew his receivers on deep balls. You need good arm strength, but you also need touch on the ball as well and that is where I think Sirk was lacking. Like Jim and others, I was hoping a good spring practice would fix this issue. But, I still think that it is an issue he can fix during the lead up to the season if he is able to practice at all. His accuracy needs work, no doubt but this is fixable, he has the tools (size, speed, smarts)... he just has less time now to work on the problem areas.

Maybe he will have a jump like we see in the BB program, and epiphany of sorts and it will all "click" for him. I'm getting a little silly now, but imagine Sirk taking a Grayson Allen like jump.... Sirk would be the first player drafted next May. So, even if he has a decent bump, he will be pretty good. His feet make him really dangerous, so if he can improve his deep ball.... watch out!!

I would not cringe if Parker started the season, so I think we will be OK either way.

But more that the QB position, my main concern with the offense last year was how limited we were with play calling. God Bless Scotty Montgomery, and I wish him nothing but success at my second favorite North Carolina school ECU, but he wasn't the most imaginative play caller the world has ever seen.

Sirk got a lot, A LOT of his completions on swing patterns and bubble screens. Maybe this was because Sirk was so inaccurate down field, but I could go all of this year and not see a swing pass or bubble screen and be very happy.

So... Sirk is the man until proven otherwise, I would love to see him healthy and starting come the NCCU game, but if not I think Parker is more than adequate to take over....

BUT my biggest hope is that our offense opens up this year and we become a little less predictable and more explosive!

budwom
05-25-2016, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I sure hope Sirk comes back. I don't want to unduly criticize him, because he showed GREAT leadership skills last year, great running ability.
However, having seen all the games (one way or another), I have to agree with those who say he didn't throw well last year. He missed a LOT of wide
open receivers, and a lot of them were wide open deep down the field. It was truly a consistent problem. It shouldn't be understated.

Also, if you look at some of the QB ratings, I think you'll find Sirk at the very bottom of the ACC QB ratings, as well as fewest yards per attempt.
Yeah, I know we rely on a short passing game, but those stats do tell a story. Hopefully he comes back, and Cut somehow works
on some mechanical issues.

With this year's tougher schedule, we're going to need more QB accuracy. (yes, it's true our receivers weren't great last year, but
Sirk did manage to miss a whole bunch of wide open ones)....the addition of Bracey and Helm should help this year.

oldnavy
05-25-2016, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I sure hope Sirk comes back. I don't want to unduly criticize him, because he showed GREAT leadership skills last year, great running ability.
However, having seen all the games (one way or another), I have to agree with those who say he didn't throw well last year. He missed a LOT of wide
open receivers, and a lot of them were wide open deep down the field. It was truly a consistent problem. It shouldn't be understated.

Also, if you look at some of the QB ratings, I think you'll find Sirk at the very bottom of the ACC QB ratings, as well as fewest yards per attempt.
Yeah, I know we rely on a short passing game, but those stats do tell a story. Hopefully he comes back, and Cut somehow works

With this year's tougher schedule, we're going to need more QB accuracy. (yes, it's true our receivers weren't great last year, but
Sirk did manage to miss a whole bunch of wide open ones)...the addition of Bracey and Helm should help this year.

There is a stat for dropped passes in the NFL (there is a stat for everything in the NFL), but it would be interesting to compare our receivers drops to others, because that has to factor in on a QB's accuracy discussion. I don't think most of Sirk's down the field throws were drops, in fact none come to mind right off, but there were a number of overthrows.

Olympic Fan
05-25-2016, 12:55 PM

Sirk did manage to miss a whole bunch of wide open ones)...the addition of Bracey and Helm should help this year.

Yeah, Sirk was awful -- he "only" completed 58.8 percent of his passes -- the 11th best single season in Duke history.

I know a lot of those were short passes, but I thought his inaccuracy was ONLY with the deep ball. I don't remember him missing open receivers in the short and intermediate range (unless he showed good judgment and threw the ball away when nothing was open). For the record, he did pass for 2,625 yards in his 12 games -- the 12th best figure in Duke history. Add that to his running and he averaged 285.7 yards a game -- third best in Duke history (behind Steve Slaydon in 1987 and Anthony Dilweg in 1989). His interception rate was among the lowest in Duke history. He was almost never sacked (unlike Boehme, who was very sack-prone).

More importantly, you could argue that with Sirk at the controls, Duke had one of the most productive offenses in school history -- in his 12 starts, Duke averaged 33.1 ppg -- the second highest total in Duke history (and scored just 13 in the one game he missed), Duke averaged 445 yards a game with Sirk at QB -- the fourth highest average in school history. Sirk didn't do all of that, but he did it with an so-so crop of receivers, good but not great runners (Duke didn't have a skill player make All-ACC) and a good, but not great offensive line (not as good as the 2014 and 20-15 line with Tomlinson and Cofield).

He also directed the team to eight wins -- really nine, since the Miami game (which he won with TD drives of 75 and 80 yards in the final six minutes) was stolen by the refs. He made dramatic plays late in the wins over Virginia Tech, Indiana ... and Miami.

The lack of respect for Sirk shown on this thread is astonishing. No, he didn't throw well deep -- but he still had one of the great QB seasons in Duke history. If he ever starts hitting the deep pass, he's a college-level Cam Newton.

Parker Boehme has a lot of potential, but he's an unproven quality. To suggest that he can step in and be as productive as Sirk was last year is taking a huge leap of faith. Of course, expecting Sirk to come back after his injury and match last year's all-around game, might also be asking a lot.

I respect what Thomas Sirk did last year -- his overall game -- I wish more Duke fans understood just how good he was in 2015.

CameronBornAndBred
05-25-2016, 05:30 PM
Yeah, Sirk was awful -- he "only" completed 58.8 percent of his passes -- the 11th best single season in Duke history.

No offense, but it's not like he has had an Alabamaesque portfolio to compare against. The criticisms I have seen of Sirk have been more than legitimate. Hopefully what we see this coming season is even better...maybe he cracks the top 10. I would love to see it happen.

Olympic Fan
05-25-2016, 06:12 PM
No offense, but it's not like he has had an Alabamaesque portfolio to compare against. The criticisms I have seen of Sirk have been more than legitimate. Hopefully what we see this coming season is even better...maybe he cracks the top 10. I would love to see it happen.

Amazing ... you're really willing to trash Duke's strong tradition of QBs in order to diminish Sirk's achievements?

Yeah, Duke's portfolio "only" includes 12 QBs who played in the pros (including one Hall of Famer), 14 All-ACC seasons at QB, four of the top 11 career passers in ACC history. Not much to compare with ... (rolls eyes).

The fact is that even if Sirk didn't blow you away with his passing accuracy -- although it was better than Thad Lewis or Ben Bennett in their first year as a starter -- the combination of Sirk's passing and running led to a more productive offense than any of those celebrated QBs ever achieved ... better than Sean Renfree's best year ... better than Dave Brown's best year. Better than Leo Hart's best year. Better than Sonny Jurgenson's best year (obviously, it was a different game back then, but the future Hall of Famer completed 53.6 percent of his passes in his best year at Duke and directed an offense that averaged just over 22 ppg ... although to be fair, Jurgenson also had to play defense).

You can nitpick all you want, but I have a hard time finding a Duke QB who was more productive in a season ... maybe Anthony Dilweg in 1988 (although his offense didn't average as many points per game as Sirk's did).

And FWIW, Sirk was 25th nationally in total offense -- third in the ACC behind DeShaun Watson and Marquise Williams (both had a lot more weapons). Duke was third in the ACC in total offense. Duke was fifth in scoring offense -- but third if you count just the 12 games that Sirk played. Pretty good for an offense that included just one All-ACC player (center Matt Skura).

I repeat, Sirk had one of the great QB seasons in Duke history and many of you are refusing to hive him the credit he deserves.

CameronBornAndBred
05-25-2016, 06:24 PM
Amazing ... you're really willing to trash Duke's strong tradition of QBs in order to diminish Sirk's achievements?
Where in my very short post did I trash Sirk or Duke's past QBs?
If someone tells me that a painting of mine could be better, I don't take that as them telling me I suck as an artist. As I said, the criticisms I have seen of Sirk have been valid.

Top eleven out of an approximately 110 year tradition of football means 1 very good QB per decade. Happily, we have seen more of them recently.

CameronBornAndBred
05-25-2016, 06:34 PM
Top eleven out of an approximately 110 year tradition of football means 1 very good QB per decade. Happily, we have seen more of them recently.
PS...This decade (meaning last 10 years) I would easily put Renfree and Lewis far above Sirk. No idea where their numbers stack up in your list.

-jk
05-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Gently, please, folks! It's summer, and we all get a bit bored and snarky...

-jk

Olympic Fan
05-25-2016, 07:39 PM
Where in my very short post did I trash Sirk or Duke's past QBs?
If someone tells me that a painting of mine could be better, I don't take that as them telling me I suck as an artist. As I said, the criticisms I have seen of Sirk have been valid.

Sorry, but when I read:

No offense, but it's not like he has had an Alabamaesque portfolio to compare against

That does sound to me like you are suggesting that Duke doesn't have a strong tradition of QB to compare to. In fact, Duke does have a very strong tradition of successful passing quarterbacks. Is the "11th most accurate passer in Duke history" all that impressive? No, but it's hardly discouraging or embarrassing either. It doesn't suggest that Sirk has a problem with his overall accuracy.

And cherry picking QB accuracy as the only number you focus on its misleading too. He did not have one of the 2 or three most productive seasons because of his accuracy ... maybe you can argue that he had it despite his accuracy. But the fact is that NO QB in Duke history directed a more potent offense -- the only Duke offense to average more points a game was in 1943, when Duke played the single wing.

You suggest you would "easily" put Renfree and Lewis ahead of Sirk.

Well, Renfree was the most accurate passer in Duke history. But in his best season, he averaged 257.0 yards a game and directed an offense that averaged 381.3 yards and 25.2 points a game -- both significantly lower than Sirk's 285.7 yards a game total offense ... and his direction of a Duke offense that averaged 445.9 yards and 33.1 points per game.

I'll take Sirk's production over Renfree's

As for Thad Lewis, he was below Sirk's accuracy in his first two seasons ... above it in his last two. In his best year, Lewis did compile almost as many total yards a game as Sirk -- 281.5. He directed an offense that averaged 368.5 yards a game and 25.17 points a game -- again, both inferior to Sirk's production.

Now, Renfree and Lewis directed inferior teams in many ways -- neither played with a great running back and Sirk's offensive line was better. But I would argue that they did have superior receivers -- Connor Vernon, Donovan Vernon and (for Renfree) Jamison Crowder and Cooper Helfet.

The point is, it's easy to be bedazzled by passing stats, but when you look at overall production -- meaning total yards gained (both individually and team) and total points generated, neither Renfree nor Lewis was as productive as Thomas Sirk.

jimsumner
05-25-2016, 09:49 PM
I agree with Olympic Fan that Sirk has been undervalued by portions of the Duke fan base.

I think a big variable is how much weight we give to his running abilities.

If we just look at him as a passer, then, yes, Lewis and Renfree trump him.

And his long ball does sometimes leave something to be desired. I still wince when I think of Schneider wide open in the Pinstripe Bowl and Sirk not even coming close.

Still, even the great ones misfire.

But, if we factor in rushing, it's a different kettle of corn. We evaluated Mike Dunn on his entire body of work and it was pretty solid. Sirk had a Dunn-level season last year.

But we weren't expecting Mike Dunn.

Cutcliffe came to Duke with a reputation as a quarterback guru and I think we all had visions of Manning-level QBs, one after another after another.

And Renfree seemed to fit the bill. A strong-armed, 6-5, classic pocket passer.

But then Cutcliffe started bringing in dual-threat QBs. He thought the game was changing and QB mobility was crucial. So, instead of Renfree, v.2, we got Boone, Connette, Sirk, Boeheme, Harris, guys like Chambers, Lloyd and Pierre, who were given shots at QB and moved to other positions.

Daniel Jones may be the closest thing to Renfree and he was a two-star afterthought, although he may turn out to be better than that, perhaps much better.TBD.

Perhaps Sirk is better than we expected, just not in the ways we expected.

juise
05-25-2016, 10:41 PM
Nice story posted on espn.com with video of Duke surprising walk-on DE Danny Doyle with a scholarship.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92448/duke-surprises-walk-on-de-danny-doyle-with-scholarship

Beat me to it. It was a really nice moment.

Olympic Fan
05-30-2016, 05:45 PM
Apparently, the Vegas over/under lines for 2016 are out:

https://accsports.com/acc-news/acc-buzz/vegas-releases-win-total-overunder-fbs-teams/

Duke's number is 5.5 wins ...

FWIW, the Duke "over" has been a winner for four straight seasons.

IsInTheDetails
05-30-2016, 06:10 PM
Apparently, the Vegas over/under lines for 2016 are out:

https://accsports.com/acc-news/acc-buzz/vegas-releases-win-total-overunder-fbs-teams/

Duke's number is 5.5 wins ...

FWIW, the Duke "over" has been a winner for four straight seasons.

I'm not a betting man, seeing as how I don't need clever ways to lose money, but if I were I'd take the over.

That said, it's a tough schedule to predict, both because of the competition and because of the unknowns on our own roster (see exh. 1 "Sirk health").

I see three likely wins in Central, Wake, and Army. And then I see nine other games. Could we lose to UVA? Yep. Could we beat the Irish? Maybe.

I think 9-3 is more likely than 3-9, but neither is out of the question. I suppose that's part of what makes college football (preseason, especially!) so much fun.

Avvocato
05-31-2016, 02:23 PM
Attached is a link to a Duke football preview from collegefootballnews.com: http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/duke-blue-devils-preview-2016.

It's a pretty solid preview. I have made no secret of my criticisms of Sirk in this thread (if I have time I may respond to a few prior comments), but this preview is very supportive of Sirk (though it mentions Cutcliffe feeling Sirk will improve as a passer). Anyway, this is not a Sirk post but an FYI for those looking for any Duke football reading. Also look out for the links at the top regarding 10 Duke players you need to know, the video discussing their prediction, among some other stuff. The written preview states that it will be a successful season if Duke goes 7-5 and wins a bowl game. However, the video preview states Duke will win a few upsets but should finish 6-6, mainly due to the brutal second half schedule.

johnb
06-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Here's an unusually thorough preview.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/3/11827452/duke-football-2016-preview-schedule-roster

One pertinent comment:

"That Sirk is Duke’s most talented—and valuable—player is beyond debate."

IsInTheDetails
06-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Here's an unusually thorough preview.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/3/11827452/duke-football-2016-preview-schedule-roster

One pertinent comment:

"That Sirk is Duke’s most talented—and valuable—player is beyond debate."

This was a very good and thorough read, thanks for linking.

The author's bottom-line take rings true to my own, less data-driven conclusion a few posts upthread: "Based on the schedule, though, this season could break in a lot of different ways. They're given between a 41 and 67 percent chance of winning in six games, with two to three likely wins and four likely losses. That's six games projected within 7.5 points; if the good close-game fortune continues, so will Duke's bowl streak."

Bob Green
06-10-2016, 03:10 PM
I was directed to this article by an Airowe tweet:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/mailbag-freshman-qb-star-johnny-manziel-texas-longhorns-best-sec-games-houston-cougars-061016

At Duke, Thomas Sirk is coming off a torn Achilles. I'm told his rehab is ahead of schedule. But remember the name Daniel Jones. He's a former walk-on from a private school in North Carolina. He grew three inches in his senior year and is now about 6-4, 210 and his arm has created a lot of buzz among the Duke staff.

Jones (and Quentin Harris) will be behind Sirk and Parker Boehme in the rotation but it is comforting to know the staff is excited about the young quarterback.

OldPhiKap
06-10-2016, 03:14 PM
I was directed to this article by an Airowe tweet:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/mailbag-freshman-qb-star-johnny-manziel-texas-longhorns-best-sec-games-houston-cougars-061016

Jones (and Quentin Harris) will be behind Sirk and Parker Boehme in the rotation but it is comforting to know the staff is excited about the young quarterback.

Thanks for the link.

Season kicks off 12 weeks from tomorrow. For perspective, the Bowl was about 24 weeks ago. Getting there!

Avvocato
06-13-2016, 07:29 PM
From ESPN.com's ACC Blog, here is a post on the best case/worst case scenario for Duke this season. Basically, they state the best case scenario is that Sirk is available for the opener, we start the season 3-1, and earn enough wins to get back to a bowl game. Worst case scenario, well, we don't make a bowl. Worst case scenario states that even with Sirk, the inconsistent offense is a problem and too many big plays on defense again. Basically, pretty much what many of us might think. Still something to read while we count the days to training camp, let alone the start of the season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92701/best-caseworst-case-duke-blue-devils

Faison1
06-13-2016, 10:26 PM
From ESPN.com's ACC Blog, here is a post on the best case/worst case scenario for Duke this season. Basically, they state the best case scenario is that Sirk is available for the opener, we start the season 3-1, and earn enough wins to get back to a bowl game. Worst case scenario, well, we don't make a bowl. Worst case scenario states that even with Sirk, the inconsistent offense is a problem and too many big plays on defense again. Basically, pretty much what many of us might think. Still something to read while we count the days to training camp, let alone the start of the season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92701/best-caseworst-case-duke-blue-devils

Sorry if this has been covered before, but WOW!! That schedule! It's possible Duke comes out of this season with 3 wins.

I count NC Central, Wake, and Army...ouch.

How is the rest of the Coastal Division looking? UVA, Pitt, VPI? I am assuming UNC and Miami are going to be good.

The scary thing is, we don't have Clemson or FSU on the schedule.

The ACC is starting to look pretty formidable.

Bob Green
06-14-2016, 05:02 AM
How is the rest of the Coastal Division looking? UVA, Pitt, VPI? I am assuming UNC and Miami are going to be good.

Preview magazines are hitting the stands now that it is June and Duke is predicted to finish 6th in the Coastal. No surprise there. We have beat the preseason predictions for the past several years. Virginia, Virginia Tech and Miami all have new coaches. The new guys are considered an upgrade for at least two of three but growing pains could exists the first season or two.

Road games at Northwestern (Sep. 17) and Georgia Tech (Oct. 29) will be critical as will the home bouts against Virginia (Oct. 1) and Virginia Tech (Nov. 5). Victories will probably be needed in three of those four games to ensure a fifth straight bowl appearance.

That is how I see the situation in June but I retain the right to change my opinion (multiple times) moving forward.

Bob Green
06-14-2016, 08:32 PM
Good article:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211012887

So Duke heads into the summer with a lot of question marks.

“That is kind of the theme,” Cutcliffe said. “But, all in all, I’m very pleased. We have a very skilled, athletic football team.”

IsInTheDetails
06-18-2016, 05:57 PM
Keyston Fuller out "indefinitely (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211022194)" following knee surgery.

We've yet to see Fuller in a game, but the redshirt freshman is (was?) one of several vying for PT at receiver.

Here's wishing the young man a speedy, full(er) recovery.

Olympic Fan
06-18-2016, 09:07 PM
Keyston Fuller out "indefinitely (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211022194)" following knee surgery.

We've yet to see Fuller in a game, but the redshirt freshman is (was?) one of several vying for PT at receiver.

Here's wishing the young man a speedy, full(er) recovery.

Tough blow.

Fuller redshirted last year, but I've seen in him several scrimmages and he looked VERY good. He was also voted the co-most improved player in spring practice.

WR is really a question mark for us. Nash and Rahming are the only two returning WRs with any kind of track record. Incoming freshman Scott Bracey has a lot of promise. But we need more than that. I thought Fuller had a real chance to be in the rotation. Now, we have to hope that Tevon Lee and/or Chris Taylor -- two so-far undistinguished redshirt sophs -- can step up or that Quay Chambers, a prep QB who has been moved to WR, can blossom. There is also Ryan Smith, who has been a decent punt returner, but done little as a WR.

Bob Green
06-19-2016, 06:43 AM
Fuller redshirted last year, but I've seen in him several scrimmages and he looked VERY good. He was also voted the co-most improved player in spring practice.

Injuries are a way of life in football, next man up! But it sure sucks when they happen to your team. Hopefully, Keyston Fuller has a quick and full recovery.

jimsumner
06-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Yep. Wide receiver is getting to be a bit iffy.

Scott Bracey is the top recruit of Cut's tenure.

But he's the only freshman WR.

And Duke dismissed Barnes and Alls late last season. McCaffrey graduated and Nash has had a hard time staying healthy.

A good opportunity for someone like Taylor, Lee, Chambers, Loyd or Young to take a giant step forward.

Lots of possibilities from that group. Now, Duke needs some production.

IsInTheDetails
06-19-2016, 10:44 AM
Wide receiver is getting to be a bit iffy.

Scott Bracey is the top recruit of Cut's tenure.

But he's the only freshman WR.

And Duke dismissed Barnes and Alls late last season. McCaffrey graduated and Nash has had a hard time staying healthy.

A good opportunity for someone like Chambers, Loyd or Young to take a giant step forward.

Also a good opportunity for our tight ends to become a bigger part of the passing game. I'm especially excited to see Daniel Helm, who was a top tier recruit in his original class.

jimsumner
06-19-2016, 11:28 AM
Also a good opportunity for our tight ends to become a bigger part of the passing game. I'm especially excited to see Daniel Helm, who was a top tier recruit in his original class.

I agree.

And Shaun Wilson is a very effective receiver out of the backfield.

Duke has flirted with using Wilson in the slot some. Hasn't gotten much traction. Wonder if Duke will revisit the idea.

budwom
06-19-2016, 12:28 PM
I trust (or at least hope) that our new offensive coordinator, Mr. Roper, will try a number of new things this year.
Getting one of our best guys (Wilson) the ball in open space seems a good one...

Olympic Fan
06-19-2016, 12:39 PM
I agree.

And Shaun Wilson is a very effective receiver out of the backfield.

Duke has flirted with using Wilson in the slot some. Hasn't gotten much traction. Wonder if Duke will revisit the idea.

That was supposed to be an idea that Duke was looking at going into last season, but a preseason injury to Duncan forced Wilson to stay in the backfield.

I guess we could see it this year, but I think it depends on how well guys like Nico Pierre and freshmen Brittain Brown and Elijah Deveaux. If they (at least 2 of them) look good in preseason, then Wilson may get more burn in the slot.

Olympic Fan
06-19-2016, 12:50 PM
Great pickup at a position of need ...

Drew Jordan, a 6-2, 236-pound DE from Georgia. Confirmed 40 time: 4.65

His offer sheet included Michigan State, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, UNC, Nebraska, BC and a bunch of others. He was also being recruited by Alabama, Notre Dame and Clemson (but had not been offered yet by those three).

He's 3-star on rivals, but not only is he an ESPN 4-star, he makes their top 300.

chrishoke
06-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Great pickup at a position of need ...

Drew Jordan, a 6-2, 236-pound DE from Georgia. Confirmed 40 time: 4.65

His offer sheet included Michigan State, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, UNC, Nebraska, BC and a bunch of others. He was also being recruited by Alabama, Notre Dame and Clemson (but had not been offered yet by those three).

He's 3-star on rivals, but not only is he an ESPN 4-star, he makes their top 300.

Actually, Drew is a four star on Rivals. Scout has him as a three star.

Bob Green
06-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Thomas Sirk's remarkable recovery continues:

Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC 29m 29 minutes ago Charlotte, NC
Four months after tearing Achilles. Duke QB Thomas Sirk told me he's throwing to receivers. An amazing recovery.

OldPhiKap
06-25-2016, 03:33 PM
Thomas Sirk's remarkable recovery continues:

Great news!

Bob Green
07-01-2016, 03:25 PM
This is not 2016 news, but it isn't worthy of a new thread so I'm sticking it here. Duke has added four more games with Northwestern to the schedule:

2021: 9/18 Northwestern
2022: 9/10 @ Northwestern
2023: 9/9 Northwestern
2024: 9/7 @ Northwestern

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/acc/duke-blue-devils.php

Duke is also in negotiations with Kansas for games in 2021 and 2022. IMO, Kevin White and David Cutcliffe continue to do a solid job with the schedule.

OldPhiKap
07-01-2016, 03:35 PM
This is not 2016 news, but it isn't worthy of a new thread so I'm sticking it here. Duke has added four more games with Northwestern to the schedule:

Duke is also in negotiations with Kansas for games in 2021 and 2022. IMO, Kevin White and David Cutcliffe continue to do a solid job with the schedule.

I second that praise.

devilish
07-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Is anyone else concerned that Wade may not be ready in time for the season? I was on campus this week and I have a hard time believing everything is going to be ready, especially the new tower.

The parking deck looks good, though. How many spaces does that add?

Bob Green
07-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Is anyone else concerned that Wade may not be ready in time for the season?

Nope. Wallace Wade Stadium will be ready.

The parking deck looks good, though. How many spaces does that add?

The new 751 Parking Deck is not scheduled to be completed before football season.

Pghdukie
07-01-2016, 09:17 PM

The new 751 Parking Deck is not scheduled to be completed before football season.

Mr. Green, Thanks for all of your insite into Duke Football. Your knowledge and view points are greatly appreciated.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-01-2016, 09:18 PM

I'm hoping the new deck will be ready for bball season so I can get back to the Chem lot and closer than the D U Rd. #2 lot. Hate that walk on cold rainy nights. Especially back to the car.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-01-2016, 10:19 PM
Staff change: Cody Robinson posted this on Facebook earlier today.

Excited to announce that I have joined the Duke Football Staff as an offensive operations assistant. I'm thankful for the opportunity to work with the best coaching staff in the country!

AustinDevil
07-02-2016, 09:05 AM

I will third the praise along with OldPhiKap. And Baylor picked a perfect time to implode. There will still be plenty of talent on the Bears team that visits Durham in 2017 and hosts the Devils in Waco in 2018, but not what there would have been if the school had complied with Title IX and, you know, adopted and followed a plan for protecting victims of sexual assault. Incidentally, Charlie Strong is one lucky guy:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/three-ex-baylor-signees-released-from-nlis-are-headed-to-texas/

devilish
07-03-2016, 06:35 AM

I hope you are right. There seems to be a lot left to do, but I'm no expert. We will find out soon enough. Kickoff is 2 months from today!

PDDuke85
07-04-2016, 09:26 AM
I hope you are right. There seems to be a lot left to do, but I'm no expert. We will find out soon enough. Kickoff is 2 months from today!
I get the sense the concourse is getting some final prep work prior to resurfacing. Can't speak as to the inside status of the tower but 2 months before kick off, I'm more concerned of the status of the pass rush and our ability to hit the long pass. Go Duke!

Avvocato
07-05-2016, 11:14 AM
Nice article on DeVon Edwards from espn.com.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/16716843/meet-duke-blue-devils-star-devon-edwards-smoothie-king-acc

Bob Green
07-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Thomas Sirk update:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/127578/injured-duke-qb-thomas-sirk-targets-return-for-fall-practice

With one month to go before the start of fall practice, nearly all those goals have been checked off. Among the most recent: Sirk has begun dropping back, and started doing jogging sprints on the field within the last week.

Next on the list: running full speed, cutting and building back the muscle and definition in his calf. Then taking the field with his teammates when practice begins Aug. 8.

IsInTheDetails
07-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Thomas Sirk update:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/127578/injured-duke-qb-thomas-sirk-targets-return-for-fall-practice

Wow, what a remarkable recovery. At the time of the injury, I simply assumed we'd not see Sirk during the 2016 season, and now there's a real shot he'll be under center for the opener? Stunning.

Sirk's dedication to his recovery and to getting back on the field with his teammates should be commended. Another great representative of DukeGang.

OldPhiKap
07-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Wow, what a remarkable recovery. At the time of the injury, I simply assumed we'd not see Sirk during the 2016 season, and now there's a real shot he'll be under center for the opener? Stunning.

Sirk's dedication to his recovery and to getting back on the field with his teammates should be commended. Another great representative of DukeGang.

Preach. Thomas is one tough hombre.

Bob Green
07-13-2016, 04:17 PM
The roster has been updated with jersey numbers, heights and weights on the incoming freshmen at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22667&DB_OEM_ID=4200

2 Javon Jackson DB 5-11 180 Fr. Tyrone, Ga. (Sandy Creek)
4 Myles Hudzick DB 5-10 165 Fr. Reston, Va. (Bishop O'Connell)
11 Scott Bracey WR 6-2 200 Fr. Richmond, Va. (Benedictine)
16 Dylan Singleton DB 5-11 190 Fr. Dacula, Ga. (Archer)
22 Brittain Brown RB 6-1 195 Fr. Canton, Ga. (Cherokee)
28 Mark Gilbert CB 6-2 170 Fr. Fayetteville, N.C. (Terry Sanford)
32 Brandon Hill LB 6-3 220 Fr. Orangeburg, S.C. (Heathwood Hall Episcopal )
36 Elijah Deveaux RB 6-0 225 Fr. Waxhaw, N.C. (Charlotte Christian)
40 Jacob Morgenstern S 6-4 215 Fr. Lagrange, N.Y. (St. Luke's School [Conn.])
48 AJ Reed K 5-11 175 Fr. Prattville, Ala. (Prattville)
49 Koby Quansah LB 6-1 220 Fr. Manchester, Conn. (Kingswood Oxford)
59 James Hornbuckle DL 6-4 235 Fr. Murray, Ky. (Murray)
66 Jaylen Miller OL 6-3 315 Fr. Jacksonville, Fla. (Providence)
75 Liam Smith OL 6-4 270 Fr. Little Silver, N.J. (Red Bank Catholic)
77 Robert Kraeling OL 6-7 270 Fr. Bishop, Ga. (Prince Avenue Christian)
89 Mark Birmingham TE 6-4 235 Fr. Ashburn, Va. (Briar Woods)
90 Terrell Lucas DL 6-3 230 Fr. Hollywood, Fla. (Miramar)
98 Chidi Okonya DL 6-6 220 Fr. Riverdale, Ga. (Riverdale)
Xander Gagnon LB 6-3 225 Fr. Charlotte, N.C. (Charlotte Catholic)

IsInTheDetails
07-18-2016, 11:29 AM
Football season is nearly upon us, and Coach Cut is gearing up. Nice interview (http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=5503898&db_oem_id=4200) on GoDuke with Dave Harding. If I had any athletic ability whatsoever and was 20 years younger, gosh I'd like to play for that man.

Anyone else getting impatient for the season to start? I know I am.

Mike Corey
07-18-2016, 11:39 AM
Football season is nearly upon us, and Coach Cut is gearing up. Nice interview (http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=5503898&db_oem_id=4200) on GoDuke with Dave Harding. If I had any athletic ability whatsoever and was 20 years younger, gosh I'd like to play for that man.

Anyone else getting impatient for the season to start? I know I am.

Absolutely.

I say this every year, but I'm not sure I've ever anticipated the start of a season more.

Olympic Fan
07-18-2016, 01:12 PM
Thursday is the start of ACC Football Kickoff in Charlotte.

They are going to do the Coastal Division -- which means Duke -- on Thursday and the Atlantic Division on Friday.

So expect to see a lot of ACC football in the news later this week.

Duke is bringing Devon Edwards and Thomas Sirk to represent them. To me, the inclusion of Sirk is a very good sign -- I doubt they bring him unless they THINK he is going to be healthy enough to play a major role this season.

Personally, I think the health issues facing Sirk and OG Tanner Stone are the two biggest question marks hanging over this Duke team heading into preseason camp -- ahead of questions about the young DEs and the young kickers.

Bob Green
07-18-2016, 01:28 PM
To me, the inclusion of Sirk is a very good sign -- I doubt they bring him unless they THINK he is going to be healthy enough to play a major role this season.

The Cutcliffe quote below (courtesy Steve Wiseman via Twitter) confirms your suspicion.

Stephen Wiseman
‏@stevewisemanNC
Cutcliffe: "I'm going into this planning on @tsirk_1 being ready to go."

OldPhiKap
07-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Bring the season!! Let's go DUKE!!!!