PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Sports Movie Poll #3 (semi-finals, multiple-choice)

JasonEvans
10-02-2007, 01:17 PM
I think this is the weakest of the semi-final groupings. Some good movies, some really good movies, but I don't see any that are a threat to win it all.

--Jason "as always consult this thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=47268) if you are not clear on what we are doing and how it all works" Evans

wilson
10-02-2007, 01:55 PM
I really like Tin Cup, but I've always considered it to be somewhat of a guilty pleasure. I'm surprised it has made it this far (I didn't vote for it). It's certainly no Mighty Ducks.;)
Also, while I know it's sort of integral to the character, every time I watch it, I wish he'd flippin' lay up already!

g_olaf
10-02-2007, 02:01 PM
I think this is the weakest of the semi-final groupings. Some good movies, some really good movies, but I don't see any that are a threat to win it all.

Which I find rather disturbing, being that Raging Bull is the only movie in this contest that made the AFI top 100 movies of all time list...

but what the hey, it's not nearly as good as Bad News Bears!

DevilAlumna
10-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Only one movie gets my vote -- Bull Durham.

Tin Cup, while an entertaining movie (and very quotable!) is just a poor man's Bull Durham on a golf course. (Kind of like how Days of Thunder is Top Gun on a track.)

mpj96
10-02-2007, 04:47 PM
I know that we are all fans of the Durham Bulls having gone through Duke and all, but c'mon Caddyshack vs. Bull Durham. . . really? I mean is that even a close call?

YmoBeThere
10-02-2007, 06:43 PM
(Kind of like how Days of Thunder is Top Gun on a track.)

:p Top Gun had volleyball...Days of Thunder didn't. I don't see how they are even close. Both had Tom Cruise without a shirt on???? Does that change anything? Nope! :p

From another thread, that is the dork in me coming out. Wish it would stay in some times.

mph
10-02-2007, 11:49 PM
I voted for Raging Bull (a great movie), Eight Men Out (an underrated movie), and Caddyshack (the greatest sports comedy I've ever seen).

Weks
10-03-2007, 01:05 AM
Raging bull is a phenomenal movie - if for no other reason than to watch Pesci play a character who's not a clown to amuse you

dukemomLA
10-03-2007, 03:28 AM
I agree with the above posts in most regards. I love "Tin Cup" but didn't vote for it in this poll. Great characters, actors I enjoy, fun action, but....IMO NOT a great sports film. If I'm channel surfing, and it's on, I'll keep watching, enjoying every minute, and the same goes for (the original) "Bad News Bears."

I guess I enjoy comedy and interesting banter in the films I don't turn off.

Jfrosh
10-03-2007, 09:26 AM
I know that we are all fans of the Durham Bulls having gone through Duke and all, but c'mon Caddyshack vs. Bull Durham. . . really? I mean is that even a close call?

I also only voted for Bull Durham. Although I love Caddyshack and is one of my all time favorites and quote it often, I have never really considered it a sports movie. This is definitely the weakest semi final group yet.

JasonEvans
10-03-2007, 11:35 AM
This poll is all done. We are high enough in votes after one day to close it. Bull Durham and Caddyshack move on. Raging Bull did not get enough votes to make the wildcard race.

-Jason