PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at Louisville (Sat, 12 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
02-19-2016, 07:37 AM
A depleted Duke squad travels to Louisville for another tough road game. ESPN has the broadcast at noon on Saturday.

A tough trip for the Devils. They're coming off an emotionally-draining win over the Heels (still feels good to write that), and they're almost certain to be without captain Matt Jones, which means a squad getting bench contributions from Luke Kennard and a few minutes from Chase Jeter is going to have to step it up, and the minutes load on the starters just got worse.

More to come.

MCFinARL
02-19-2016, 08:35 AM
For what it's worth, Louisville has lost Anas Mahmoud to a sprained ankle. He played 17 minutes in the last Duke Louisville game, with 4 rebounds, 2 points, 1 assist and 3 blocks.

But he was also their 7th guy in terms of minutes played, and they had an 8th guy with almost as many minutes, so it may not really create much of a depth problem for them.

MChambers
02-19-2016, 08:51 AM
For what it's worth, Louisville has lost Anas Mahmoud to a sprained ankle. He played 17 minutes in the last Duke Louisville game, with 4 rebounds, 2 points, 1 assist and 3 blocks.

But he was also their 7th guy in terms of minutes played, and they had an 8th guy with almost as many minutes, so it may not really create much of a depth problem for them.

Louisville has 7 players? What a luxury! I'm still picking our band of brothers, but they're going to be tired. (Can Jason Tatum reclassify, today?)

dukebluesincebirth
02-19-2016, 10:04 AM

But also, how many of their players will be exhausted from partying with hookers on campus Friday night? Advantage Duke.

BD80
02-19-2016, 10:10 AM
But also, how many of their players will be exhausted from partying with hookers on campus Friday night? Advantage Duke.

Pitino has a strict 10 minute curfew

kAzE
02-19-2016, 10:14 AM

Shots fired . . .

Realistically, I don't think we're going to be favored in this one. The game at the Dean Dome was emotionally charged, and our guys had to be going on pure adrenaline towards the end of the 2nd half. Even with Matt going down, he at least gave us SOME minutes. I don't see how we can maintain that level of energy and effort with only 5 guys from the start of the game. It's going to be brutally taxing, especially against that Louisville press.

Hingeknocker
02-19-2016, 10:27 AM
Pitino has a strict 10 minute curfew

I realize there's still 24+ hours until the game, but would anyone be opposed to shutting down this thread after this comment? Not sure where we go from here.

In truth, it's hard to avoid a feeling of "house money" leading up to this game. I'm excited to see our guys go out there to fight and battle together again. The level of defense that we played as a team - Marshall's 13 seconds notwithstanding - to avoid foul trouble was amazing, and I see no reason why it can't continue. I'm sure we'll see stretches of zone, but I've been incredibly encouraged by our man defense in the past two games.

FerryFor50
02-19-2016, 10:33 AM
I know we've had an exciting week or two. Beating Louisville, Virginia on a buzzer beater and UNC on their home floor in spectacularly soul crushing fashion probably has spoiled us and raised our expectation levels a notch or two. Plus, factor in that Louisville's season is meaningless and we should win handily on Saturday, right?

Ehhhhh...

If you watched any of the L'ville/Syracuse appetizer before the Duke/UNC showdown, you saw L'ville's press absolutely crush the spirit of Syracuse. You saw highlight reel dunk after highlight reel dunk. And you saw Onuaku making ridiculous behind the back and alley oop passes. It was essentially Harlem Globetrotters vs Washington Generals.

So, Louisville apparently has *not* gotten the memo that their season is over. They are still playing relentless pressing basketball, and doing it effectively.

When Duke played them last, they had Matt Jones to stymie Damion Lee (who was also nursing a knee issue). Lee shot 3-15 that game and was 0-5 from 3. Now Matt is hurt and out for the foreseeable future and Lee is coming off a 6-14 shooting performance (15 pts) against Syracuse.

Given the lack of depth, Louisville's intense press, and the inevitable drop off from a huge week (as well as the "revenge" factor and being on L'ville's home floor), I don't see Duke winning this one. The only chance is if Louisville goes cold from the floor and both Ingram and Allen play like they did against UNC, with additional help from Kennard and Plumlee. I don't know that the whole team will be able to click like they did last game. Hopefully I'm dead wrong, but I'm definitely tempering my expectations in this one.

CDu
02-19-2016, 10:54 AM

They are also without Mangok Mathiang, who was a starting-caliber big. So now they have only Matz Stockman backing up Onuaku. Stockman is comparable to our backup bigs. They are, of course, deeper than us on the perimeter, by virtue of having even one sub.

They have an 8-9 man rotation even without Mahmoud or Mathiang. Johnson, Adele, and Mitchell provide depth along with Stockman.

I am actually not too concerned with their press though. We have Ingram playing the 4, and his ability to handle the ball like a guard combined with his ability to pass over Louisville's small guards (and pass to another guard at that) really takes the teeth out of the press. Not that pressure can't be a problem. Just that a press against Syracuse (who has just one ballhandler) is going to look a lot better than a press against a team with 4 ballhandlers.

COYS
02-19-2016, 11:12 AM
They are also without Mangok Mathiang, who was a starting-caliber big. So now they have only Matz Stockman backing up Onuaku. Stockman is comparable to our backup bigs. They are, of course, deeper than us on the perimeter, by virtue of having even one sub.

They have an 8-9 man rotation even without Mahmoud or Mathiang. Johnson, Adele, and Mitchell provide depth along with Stockman.

I am actually not too concerned with their press though. We have Ingram playing the 4, and his ability to handle the ball like a guard combined with his ability to pass over Louisville's small guards (and pass to another guard at that) really takes the teeth out of the press. Not that pressure can't be a problem. Just that a press against Syracuse (who has just one ballhandler) is going to look a lot better than a press against a team with 4 ballhandlers.

Nice analysis on Louisville's press. When pressing works, it's because other teams can force the ball out of the best ballhandler's hands and to (preferably) a forward who is uncomfortable bringing the ball up. Not only is Brandon perfectly comfortable bringing the ball up, he's actually good at it. In addition, Marshall has shown total comfort with flashing to the middle of the court, receiving a pass, and quickly getting the ball back to one of the guards. We've actually handled the few presses that we've encountered this season very, very well.

The one thing I would say is that it is imperative that we beat the press by passing. If Grayson, Derryck, Luke, and Brandon are dribbling by defenders every single time down the court, they will definitely be more fatigued by the end of the game. I'd much rather Louisville players tire out running around in the backcourt as we calmly pass over and around their press.

COYS
02-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Louisville would have been a tough test with everyone healthy. With the injuries, it's obviously tougher. But I won't lie. I'm kind of excited to see what happens. I feel like our guys will be able to play loose, without any pressure. I'm sure Luke, while certainly not happy that Matt is injured, has got to be excited knowing that he's going to be on the court all game, tomorrow. Meanwhile, for Brandon, Marshall and Grayson, it's really just business as usual. Not much changes for them. They will get as close to 40 minutes as possible. Derryck and Luke will see their minutes increase, obviously, but there's reason to be at least a little optimistic. Derryck has slowly but surely morphed from an incredibly quick guard who had no idea how to use his quickness on the court into a guard who is a pain the rear for opposing point guards. Luke has been inconsistent on offense, true, but he's also capable of going off for 30. Now, both Derryck and Luke get their chance to shine.

I still wouldn't be shocked to see something totally off the wall like how Reggie Love actually played some meaningful minutes back in 2001 after the Boozer injury. Maybe we'll see K bring in both Obi and Vrank at the 12:30 mark right before the under 12 timeout to give some of our guys a little extra rest, much like how he's been resting important players at that point for years. Maybe we'll see Vrank or Obi come into the game to foul some of Louisville's poor shooting big men if/when Louisville is in the bonus, which would give our starters another chance to rest and put Obi/Vrank alongside Marshall to collect a defensive rebound after the (hopefully) missed free throw. We can then call a time out if possible to get them back out of the game if we need to.

Anyway, while I think we will most likely see our top 5 guys get all they can handle, I would not be surprised to see Coach K and the staff employ some creative tactics to squeeze as many seconds of rest out of the game as humanly possible.

moonpie23
02-19-2016, 11:35 AM
we keep saying that THIS (the next game) is going to be tough for us....well, we still have to play it, and it WILL be tough, especially without matt.

But we were facing the daunting task of beating the holes in chapel hill with matt on the bench, so, the guys have their work cut out for them AGAIN.....

these guys got heart and grit......it am what it am....

kAzE
02-19-2016, 11:54 AM
I'd just like to point out that Louisville is actulaly the highest rated ACC team on Kenpom (#5). We BARELY eked out a victory on the road in Chapel Hill against UNC (#8). This is not a game that I'm going in expecting to win. Obviously, I'm hoping we do, it's just a very daunting task, especially without Matt to slow down Lee. This won't be the same match up that was played in Durham. Matt was a huge part of our defensive game plan.

91devil
02-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Since its unlikely the four "perimeter" players can all go for forty minutes, Marshall and Chase (or Sean or Vrank) will have to be in the game at the same time (our version of the Twin Towers). I think playing zone during the game will help with fatigue, but I think we'll probably have to play MTM when we have two bigs in the game. I'm not sure Chase / Sean / Vrank can effectively play the wing in the 2-3 zone or the 1-3-1 zone (and I certainly wouldn't like any of them on the baseline of the 1-3-1).

Might be interesting to see Chase and his wingspan at the top of the 1-3-1 (Brandon on the baseline?). But I think, in general, when one of the super-subs is in the game, we will be in MTM.

Lar77
02-19-2016, 12:01 PM
Call me an optimist, but in the last 3 games, these guys have shown an unreal ability to pull it together as a team. If there is any team in the country (exclude the NBA) that could have a chance against Louisville this Saturday with injuries to two captains, this is the team. These guys are just fun to watch.

If the refs cooperate, we have a chance.

luburch
02-19-2016, 12:06 PM
I'm probably going to miss this game :(. Traveling to to Bloomington to catch IU/Purdue instead. However, the only other game I missed this season resulted in a Duke win. Hoping to keep that streak alive.

MChambers
02-19-2016, 12:07 PM
I'd just like to point out that Louisville is actulaly the highest rated ACC team on Kenpom (#5). We BARELY eked out a victory on the road in Chapel Hill against UNC (#8). This is not a game that I'm going in expecting to win. Obviously, I'm hoping we do, it's just a very daunting task, especially without Matt to slow down Lee. This won't be the same match up that was played in Durham. Matt was a huge part of our defensive game plan.
UVa is #2 in KenPom, at least when I use Chrome. But I agree with your basic point. Very tough to beat #5 on the road, in the best of circumstances.

kAzE
02-19-2016, 12:09 PM
UVa is #2 in KenPom, at least when I use Chrome. But I agree with your basic point. Very tough to beat #5 on the road, in the best of circumstances.

Wow . . . how did I miss that? I guess my point was that they are better than UNC. It'll be a tough game.

Doria
02-19-2016, 12:20 PM
I certainly have tempered expectations for this one, but I do think we're (relatively) fortunate to have played, and won, against them already. Revenge games can be tough to win, assuming you were on the good side of the earlier result; but for our team to have a sense of how they play, and also know we can win, could be a huge factor with a young team. I hope it is, at least.

CDu
02-19-2016, 12:26 PM
Since its unlikely the four "perimeter" players can all go for forty minutes, Marshall and Chase (or Sean or Vrank) will have to be in the game at the same time (our version of the Twin Towers). I think playing zone during the game will help with fatigue, but I think we'll probably have to play MTM when we have two bigs in the game. I'm not sure Chase / Sean / Vrank can effectively play the wing in the 2-3 zone or the 1-3-1 zone (and I certainly wouldn't like any of them on the baseline of the 1-3-1).

Might be interesting to see Chase and his wingspan at the top of the 1-3-1 (Brandon on the baseline?). But I think, in general, when one of the super-subs is in the game, we will be in MTM.

Just to be clear, I'm not sure it is true that it is unlikely that our four perimeter guys can all go for 40 minutes. We had 3 of them go for basically all 40 minutes against UNC, who plays at a MUCH faster pace than Louisville. And the fourth played the last 25 minutes or so (whatever was left after Jones went down), and didn't show signs of running out of gas.

It is quite possible that foul trouble could prevent them from being allowed to play all 40 minutes. But unless one gets hurt or gets in foul trouble, I see no reason why they can't (or won't) go all 40 minutes, or VERY close to that.

I'll be surprised if (barring foul trouble or injury or the availability of Jefferson) we see a traditional "two big" look for more than 3-4 minutes of the game.

BD80
02-19-2016, 12:30 PM
Basketball is a five man game. Who has the best 5?

Would anyone rank Lee ahead of Ingram or Allen?

We have more than just a chance, we have a very good chance of winning this game. It is a no-lose situation because nobody expects us to win. We are on a roll, confidence is high, the players are improving as individuals game-by-game (contrast unc players) and most important the TEAM is playing better game-by-game.

This team has been a joy to watch, and tomorrow will be no exception. It might just be the most enjoyable so far.

Ian
02-19-2016, 12:46 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not sure it is true that it is unlikely that our four perimeter guys can all go for 40 minutes. We had 3 of them go for basically all 40 minutes against UNC, who plays at a MUCH faster pace than Louisville. And the fourth played the last 25 minutes or so (whatever was left after Jones went down), and didn't show signs of running out of gas.

It is quite possible that foul trouble could prevent them from being allowed to play all 40 minutes. But unless one gets hurt or gets in foul trouble, I see no reason why they can't (or won't) go all 40 minutes, or VERY close to that.

I'll be surprised if (barring foul trouble or injury or the availability of Jefferson) we see a traditional "two big" look for more than 3-4 minutes of the game.

UNC does not play the kind of physical defense that Louisville plays, we were also coming off a period where we played just 1 game in the previous 8 days and did not travel at all for over 10 days, so we were well rested for the UNC game.
If we try to have 4 players go 40 minutes on the road against arguably the most physical defense in the ACC on just 2 days turn-around from the physically and emotionally draining game we just had, we will get slaughtered.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-19-2016, 12:53 PM
If we try to have 40 players go 40 minutes on the road against arguably the most physical defense in the ACC on just 2 days turn-around from the physically and emotionally draining game we just had, we will get slaughtered.

I disagree vehemently. If we are able to play 40 players 40 minutes against Louisville, I suspect we can pull out the victory.

mgtr
If we try to have 40 players go 40 minutes on the road against arguably the most physical defense in the ACC on just 2 days turn-around from the physically and emotionally draining game we just had, we will get slaughtered.

OK, I assume you mean something other than 40 players, but what alternative do you suggest? Just fail to show up? Clear the bench?

CDu
UNC does not play the kind of physical defense that Louisville plays, we were also coming off a period where we played just 1 game in the previous 8 days and did not travel at all for over 10 days, so we were well rested for the UNC game.

Louisville's defense isn't as physical as, say, UVa. They are certainly more physical defensively than, say, UNC. But by the same token, they don't demand nearly as much as UNC does on the other end of the floor. Basketball is played two ways. Louisville takes a toll on you with their defense, UNC takes a toll on you with their offense. Both take a similar toll. We survived against UNC. We can survive against Louisville.

I completely disagree with your statement that going with 4 guys for 40 minutes will result in a slaughter. These guys can do it. Allen and Ingram have been doing it for weeks now. They'll continue to do it. Kennard is fairly well-rested relatively speaking, having only played 32 minutes the other night. The only question mark would be Thornton, who did go 39 minutes against UNC and 34 against UVa. But again, I don't see any reason why he can't do it physically.

Conversely, I'd argue that going with Jeter or Obi/Vrank for more than 6-8 minutes in this game (and certainly for the 15-20 minutes that some have suggested) probably WOULD be asking to get slaughtered.

Ian
02-19-2016, 01:06 PM
OK, I assume you mean something other than 40 players, but what alternative do you suggest? Just fail to show up? Clear the bench?

I don't see any other choice other than give Jeter 10-15 minutes, strategically spread out throughout the 1st 30 minutes of the game. Also strategical use to time outs to give us a breather now and then. Even with that I have my doubts about this game. I'd give us less than 10% chance to pull it off.

This game was always to me the toughest game on our schedule this season. The one when I looked at our schedule in November I'd point to as the game we're least likely to win. Because it comes at the end of a grueling stretch, on the road, short turnaround. To have to play it with just 5 man is to me asking the impossible. I'd honestly be proud of our guys if we keep the margin within single digits.

luburch
02-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Newish jerseys for the game tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/dukeblueplanet/status/700745202454175744

Doria
02-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Not a fan of the new jerseys as presented in those pics (super close up). Hopefully, they look better from a distance, but I liked the regular away ones better. If anything, I'd rather get new home whites.

CDu
02-19-2016, 01:41 PM
I don't see any other choice other than give Jeter 10-15 minutes, strategically spread out throughout the 1st 30 minutes of the game. Also strategical use to time outs to give us a breather now and then. Even with that I have my doubts about this game. I'd give us less than 10% chance to pull it off.

This game was always to me the toughest game on our schedule this season. The one when I looked at our schedule in November I'd point to as the game we're least likely to win. Because it comes at the end of a grueling stretch, on the road, short turnaround. To have to play it with just 5 man is to me asking the impossible. I'd honestly be proud of our guys if we keep the margin within single digits.

It's not THAT short a turnaround. It's not even close to the shortest turnaround we've had this year, especially considering that we didn't have to travel for the previous game.

I give us WAY more than a 10% chance of winning this game. I would agree that we are not favored. But I think we are more likely to win by riding our starters for 190+ total minutes than we are by giving Jeter (or others) 15 mpg off the bench. Unless the "others" include Amile Jefferson.

NSDukeFan
02-19-2016, 01:44 PM
It's not THAT short a turnaround. It's not even close to the shortest turnaround we've had this year, especially considering that we didn't have to travel for the previous game.

I give us WAY more than a 10% chance of winning this game. I would agree that we are not favored. But I think we are more likely to win by riding our starters for 190+ total minutes than we are by giving Jeter (or others) 15 mpg off the bench. Unless the "others" include Amile Jefferson.

That would be an awesome others.

Olympic Fan
02-19-2016, 01:50 PM

Pomeroy has us at a 32 percent chance of winning. It's the only remaining game where Duke is not better than 50 percent.

Not sure if his number factors in the absence of Jones.

One comment about the Louisville press ... I think the Cards press, not so much to turn Duke over, but to force Duke to expend energy to break the press. Yeah, Duke can beat it ... but it denies a guy like Ingram a chance to rest even for a few seconds while Derryck walks the ball up the court (or Derryck a chance to catch his breath while Brandon brings it up). In the short term, that's no big deal, but over the course of 40 minutes -- with several Duke players likely to play 40 minutes -- that could be a huge factor.

CDu
02-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Pomeroy has us at a 32 percent chance of winning. It's the only remaining game where Duke is not better than 50 percent.

One comment about the Louisville press ... I think the Cards press, not so much to turn Duke over, but to force Duke to expend energy to break the press. Yeah, Duke can beat it ... but it denies a guy like Ingram a chance to rest even for a few seconds while Derryck walks the ball up the court (or Derryck a chance to catch his breath while Brandon brings it up). In the short term, that's no big deal, but over the course of 40 minutes -- with several Duke players likely to play 40 minutes -- that could be a huge factor.

I think the key will be to have those guys take turns as the press breaker. Sometimes it will be Allen and Thornton. Sometimes it will be Allen and Ingram. Sometimes Ingram and Thornton. Sometimes Ingram and Kennard. Sometimes Allen and Kennard. Sometimes Thornton and Kennard. I agree that if we burden Ingram and Thornton with that responsibility all game, that's a bad idea. In fact, Thornton is one guy I'd prefer to get a lighter amount of the duty. He seems to be the most susceptible to a lapse in judgement with the ball against the press.

And yeah, a 30% chance sounds about right.

freshmanjs
02-19-2016, 02:06 PM

Think it really depends on our defense. Our Pomeroy math is based on our current defensive efficiency, but that's a blend of some terrible games and some great games. If we play great D again, I think our chances are materially higher than 30%. (that may be hard to do without Matt, but we've played great D against 3 good teams in a row now).

NYBri
02-19-2016, 02:11 PM
I have lowered expectations about this game...after my lowered expectations for the UVA game...after my lower expectations for L'ville at home game...after my lowered expectations about making the NCAA...

:cool:

MChambers
02-19-2016, 02:22 PM
I'm fairly certain Pomeroy doesn't take injuries into account.

uh_no
02-19-2016, 02:55 PM
I'm fairly certain Pomeroy doesn't take injuries into account.

you can try BPI...though I doubt they can adjust without any no-MJ data....maybe they try to? not sure.

BandAlum83
02-19-2016, 03:17 PM
5 Guys - Buckets and Drives

I'm thinking 5 Guys - Stops and Boards

Olympic Fan
02-19-2016, 03:22 PM
Just checking some numbers.

I see Duke is up to No. 9 in the RPI, but more importantly, up to 3-4 vs the RPI top 25. That's with Louisville at No. 25.

The good news is that even if Duke losses Saturday, it solidifies Louisville as a top 25 win (well, we'd be 3-5 against the top 25).

N.C. State has gotten back into the top 100 -- precisely at No. 100. If for no other reason, pull hard for the Wolfpack Saturday home against Clemson -- that's two top 100 wins right there.

We should also be pulling for VCU (No. 55) and Yale (No. 56) to win and climb into the top 50. Also, I was surprised to see Buffalo at No. 102.

As it is, we have 12 top 100 wins at the moment (and all six losses to top 100 teams).

Funny, but a few weeks ago, there was talk nationally that Duke might become a bubble team ... now the Devils are not only close to a lock, but are vying for a very good seed -- even in the 2-3 range with a strong finish.

Louisville is going to be tough Saturday, but after Wednesday night nothing could make me count these guys out!

wgl1228
02-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Anyone else think if Jefferson can't return by tomorrow he should go ahead and red shirt. I mean unless he just is prepared to play in the tournament and then trying to become a pro, it seems like red shirting is the best thing to do.

Bob Green
02-19-2016, 03:27 PM

I agree and expect Allen, Ingram, Thornton and Kennard to play very close to 40 minutes each.

kAzE
02-19-2016, 03:31 PM

Ground & Pound?

Run & Gun?

Drive & Kick?

-jk
02-19-2016, 04:25 PM
I think the key will be to have those guys take turns as the press breaker. Sometimes it will be Allen and Thornton. Sometimes it will be Allen and Ingram. Sometimes Ingram and Thornton. Sometimes Ingram and Kennard. Sometimes Allen and Kennard. Sometimes Thornton and Kennard. I agree that if we burden Ingram and Thornton with that responsibility all game, that's a bad idea. In fact, Thornton is one guy I'd prefer to get a lighter amount of the duty. He seems to be the most susceptible to a lapse in judgement with the ball against the press.

Very few teams break a press with a single guy. Usually it involves passing. Planning for it is key.

Ryan Kelly was really good at receiving the inbounds and passing back out to break a press. He didn't dribble much...

-jk

matts83
02-19-2016, 05:07 PM
Last year going into this game I was worried after just losing 2 games before that. I know it was a different team and such, but one thing is the same. Coach K and his assistants. This year has been up and down, but all and all they have surprised a lot of people that thought they were out (media and UNC fans) Yes this game isn’t the same but after what they have done so far this year, I would give them more than 30% chance to win this. This team is only getting better and Kennard is due for another 30 point game, and Chase is also due to break out of his shell and show us why he was highly recruited. Keep it close and hit some 3's and drive it... Didn’t think we would be 3-0 on this hard stretch of games, but why not make it 4-0. Should be a fun game to watch! Go Duke! :cool:

jipops
02-19-2016, 06:10 PM
Just checking some numbers.

I see Duke is up to No. 9 in the RPI, but more importantly, up to 3-4 vs the RPI top 25. That's with Louisville at No. 25.

The good news is that even if Duke losses Saturday, it solidifies Louisville as a top 25 win (well, we'd be 3-5 against the top 25).

N.C. State has gotten back into the top 100 -- precisely at No. 100. If for no other reason, pull hard for the Wolfpack Saturday home against Clemson -- that's two top 100 wins right there.

We should also be pulling for VCU (No. 55) and Yale (No. 56) to win and climb into the top 50. Also, I was surprised to see Buffalo at No. 102.

As it is, we have 12 top 100 wins at the moment (and all six losses to top 100 teams).

Funny, but a few weeks ago, there was talk nationally that Duke might become a bubble team ... now the Devils are not only close to a lock, but are vying for a very good seed -- even in the 2-3 range with a strong finish.

Louisville is going to be tough Saturday, but after Wednesday night nothing could make me count these guys out!

I'd say Duke is as much of a lock to make the tournament as anyone else not currently ranked in the top 10. Even if Duke wins only one more ACC game then the conference finish is 10-8. I have to think that gets us in with wins over UL, UVA, and the cheats. And I feel like we should win at least 2 more games anyways, so probably 11-7 at worst (losing to either Wake or FSU would be bad losses).

The cards seem stacked against us in this one. (Sorry, couldn't resist) Even though 2 full days rest is beneficial, I don't know if that gives us enough time to prepare for UL without Jones. Emotional fatigue is still going to be a factor, more than the physical. But dropping this one is not even remotely close to the end of the world. Just need to get Matt back healthy, hopefully for FSU which is 6 days away.

NSDukeFan
02-19-2016, 06:22 PM
Anyone else think if Jefferson can't return by tomorrow he should go ahead and red shirt. I mean unless he just is prepared to play in the tournament and then trying to become a pro, it seems like red shirting is the best thing to do.

Count me in the definitely not category. Coach K is down to his last 15 years and has a puncher's chance at a final four this year. I believe you have to go for it anytime you have any kind of chance since no one knows what the future holds. What an amazing week and a half this had been. I nominate Newton to do every phase report if he can produce these kind of results.

Olympic Fan
02-19-2016, 06:23 PM

Frankly, I don't understand this kind of thinking.

Look, Amile might have to redshirt (I don't think so, but it's possible), but what amazes me are the number of fans whop seem to WANT him to redshirt.

Why?

With Amile -- and with a healthy Matt Jones -- Duke has as good a chance as anybody to make a run for the 2016 national title. Duke has matured and developed in his absence. Return him to the rotation and it's a much better team than the one that just beat three top 25 teams (two of them top 10) teams in a row.

There shouldn't be any trouble re-orienting the team to his return. Past Duke players returning from a broken foot have had a positive impact from day one -- Ryan Kelly has the best game of his career on his return after missing two months. Elton Brand was a monster immediately after his return. Carlos Boozer dominated Maryland in the post just after his return from a broken foot. Hurley returned and was in top form immediately after his broken foot.

This team NEEDs Amile to make a title run. Next year's team -- while it could always use an experienced post man -- will have plenty of big man options (for one, I can almost guarantee Duke doesn't get Bolden if Jefferson returns ... not that his departure guarantees that we do get Bolden). But we're going to have much better balance next year -- an older, stronger Jeter us very, VERY likely.

I'm still pulling for Amile's return -- whether its tomorrow at Louisville, next week or even for the UNC finale. It's certainly best for the program and I think it's best for him (coming back for a fifth year won't improve his NBA chances)

Wander
02-19-2016, 06:35 PM

Look, Amile might have to redshirt (I don't think so, but it's possible), but what amazes me are the number of fans whop seem to WANT him to redshirt.

Why?

With Amile -- and with a healthy Matt Jones -- Duke has as good a chance as anybody to make a run for the 2016 national title. Duke has matured and developed in his absence. Return him to the rotation and it's a much better team than the one that just beat three top 25 teams (two of them top 10) teams in a row.

There shouldn't be any trouble re-orienting the team to his return. Past Duke players returning from a broken foot have had a positive impact from day one -- Ryan Kelly has the best game of his career on his return after missing two months. Elton Brand was a monster immediately after his return. Carlos Boozer dominated Maryland in the post just after his return from a broken foot. Hurley returned and was in top form immediately after his broken foot.

If you could guarantee that when Amile returns he would be 100% healthy and in shape and ready to go, yes, I agree, it makes sense to bring him back for this year, especially given that we're now competing for a high seed with the recent wins. I think the fear is that maybe he could play by the end but not at full strength, and then we end up just sort of "wasting" his last year without getting a big March result out of it.

DukeDevil
02-19-2016, 06:47 PM
Ryan Kelly has the best game of his career on his return after missing two months. Elton Brand was a monster immediately after his return. Carlos Boozer dominated Maryland in the post just after his return from a broken foot. Hurley returned and was in top form immediately after his broken foot.

Your post further convinces me that we need someone at Duke doing nothing but foot and ankle strengthening for the team. Maybe injecting some adamantium in there.

Indoor66
02-19-2016, 06:48 PM
If you could guarantee that when Amile returns he would be 100% healthy and in shape and ready to go, yes, I agree, it makes sense to bring him back for this year, especially given that we're now competing for a high seed with the recent wins. I think the fear is that maybe he could play by the end but not at full strength, and then we end up just sort of "wasting" his last year without getting a big March result out of it.

I find this thinking to be incredible. Life is an ephemeral experience. Amile must do what is best for Amile. If he does that, it will be what is best for Duke. I can only pray that I wake up tomorrow. I wish you well, too.

jipops
02-19-2016, 07:04 PM

Why?

This team NEEDs Amile to make a title run. Next year's team -- while it could always use an experienced post man -- will have plenty of big man options (for one, I can almost guarantee Duke doesn't get Bolden if Jefferson returns ... not that his departure guarantees that we do get Bolden). But we're going to have much better balance next year -- an older, stronger Jeter us very, VERY likely.

I'm still pulling for Amile's return -- whether its tomorrow at Louisville, next week or even for the UNC finale. It's certainly best for the program and I think it's best for him (coming back for a fifth year won't improve his NBA chances)

I can't agree with all the examples you cite. Kelly had one epic game but was very pedestrian after that. Elton, though effective, had no lift. He was not the same player. I would hardly call Carlos dominant after coming back. He was also effective but had the benefit of playing with 3 NBA lottery picks. Hurley, yea he returned to form.

The point is - let's say Amile returns by the end of the regular season, or even with just a couple games left. The chances of this team realizing its full potential as if he had never been out is extremely remote.

I do think you make a good argument though. However, I think people having giddy thoughts of a front court rotation of Giles, Tatum, and Jefferson is understandable as well. Even if it may not be realistic.

brevity
02-19-2016, 07:35 PM
Your post further convinces me that we need someone at Duke doing nothing but foot and ankle strengthening for the team. Maybe injecting some adamantium in there.

Adamantium? Sounds like something they would use at Michigan.

Speaking of strength and conditioning, I have to say this Louisville game scares me, for one big reason:

Come Saturday at noon, Ray Ganong (http://www.gocards.com/coaches.aspx?rc=16&path=mbball) is already on his ninth cup of coffee.

Wander
02-19-2016, 07:40 PM
I find this thinking to be incredible. Life is an ephemeral experience. Amile must do what is best for Amile. If he does that, it will be what is best for Duke. I can only pray that I wake up tomorrow. I wish you well, too.

Come on. We don't need to put a caveat of "___ should do what's best for themselves" on every single post about injuries or recruits or transfers, do we? Yes, of course he should do what he wants. It's still an interesting discussion on what would be best for Duke's season and next season, and maybe he'll be thinking about that factor too.

freshmanjs
02-19-2016, 07:43 PM

When one of our coaches was asked about the redshirt possibility, he said "many factors go into that decision." -- So, I guess the staff has "incredible" thinking as well. Someone should let them know.

FerryFor50
02-19-2016, 07:56 PM

Why?

I also don't get the "we need to redshirt him NOW" mentality.

Is there some sort of secret deadline where you have to redshirt a player or not? And honestly, simply saying "we're redshirting you" isn't enough. First of all, Amile has to be on board with it. Secondly, the NCAA has to approve it.

And as Oly said... Amile makes way more sense on this season's team than next season. This season, he's a necessity. Next season, he's a luxury, and one that might not see much playing time if the incoming guys are top notch.

uh_no
02-19-2016, 10:37 PM
5 Guys - Buckets and Drives

I'm thinking 5 Guys - Stops and Boards

doesn't rhyme with burgers and fries though

Olympic Fan
02-19-2016, 11:24 PM
I can't agree with all the examples you cite. Kelly had one epic game but was very pedestrian after that. Elton, though effective, had no lift. He was not the same player. I would hardly call Carlos dominant after coming back. He was also effective but had the benefit of playing with 3 NBA lottery picks. Hurley, yea he returned to form.

The point is - let's say Amile returns by the end of the regular season, or even with just a couple games left. The chances of this team realizing its full potential as if he had never been out is extremely remote.

I do think you make a good argument though. However, I think people having giddy thoughts of a front court rotation of Giles, Tatum, and Jefferson is understandable as well. Even if it may not be realistic.

Well, we have to disagree about Kelly, Brand and Boozer.

Start with Boozer ... I'm not sure what playing with three lottery picks has to do with anything --- 29 days after he broke his foot, he played 25 minutes in the national semifinals against Maryland and scored 19 points, while fouling Maryland's Lonnie Baxter Out. Two nights later, he had 12 points and 12 rebounds as Duke edged Arizona. That's a pretty strong comeback.

With Brand, his first game after nearly three months came on Feb. 22 against No. 12 UCLA. Coming off the bench he had 14 points and seven rebounds in 16 minutes of action. A week later, he played 27 minutes and had 16 points and five rebounds against No. 3 UNC -- including 12 points in a row to spark our second half comeback. He had his ups and downs the rest of the way (he had his ups and downs before his injury too -- he was just a freshman), but he did help Duke reach the Elite Eight ...

As for Kelly, throw out his 36 point game in his comeback against No. 5 Miami (on Mar. 2). In his next four games he wasn't as good, but he averaged 10.5 points and 5.3 rebounds -- pretty close to his season averages. He helped Duke beat Michigan State in the Sweet 16 and reach the Elite Eight.

My point stands -- in most cases, when our injured players return, they play at a high level very quickly. And the Kyrie Irving instance aside, the team seems to re-absorb them with little trouble.

I don't agree with your point that it's extremely remote that this team realizes its potential if Amile returns late ... with just a couple of games left in the regulars season. Kelly returned in March and made a big difference. Boozer returned in late March and made a big difference. If Jefferson can come back by the ACC Tourney at least, he makes a big difference.

This team needs Jefferson to make a deep NCAA run. He doesn't have to be the double-double machine he was before he was hurt (although historical evidence suggests he'll be close to that), but if he could provide a solid 15-20 minutes with his typical good defense and 6-7 rebounds as Duke's seventh man, it makes this team considerably stronger -- strong enough to win the national title in a year when there is not another great team.

jipops
02-20-2016, 12:29 AM
Well, we have to disagree about Kelly, Brand and Boozer.

Start with Boozer ... I'm not sure what playing with three lottery picks has to do with anything --- 29 days after he broke his foot, he played 25 minutes in the national semifinals against Maryland and scored 19 points, while fouling Maryland's Lonnie Baxter Out. Two nights later, he had 12 points and 12 rebounds as Duke edged Arizona. That's a pretty strong comeback.

With Brand, his first game after nearly three months came on Feb. 22 against No. 12 UCLA. Coming off the bench he had 14 points and seven rebounds in 16 minutes of action. A week later, he played 27 minutes and had 16 points and five rebounds against No. 3 UNC -- including 12 points in a row to spark our second half comeback. He had his ups and downs the rest of the way (he had his ups and downs before his injury too -- he was just a freshman), but he did help Duke reach the Elite Eight ...

As for Kelly, throw out his 36 point game in his comeback against No. 5 Miami (on Mar. 2). In his next four games he wasn't as good, but he averaged 10.5 points and 5.3 rebounds -- pretty close to his season averages. He helped Duke beat Michigan State in the Sweet 16 and reach the Elite Eight.

My point stands -- in most cases, when our injured players return, they play at a high level very quickly. And the Kyrie Irving instance aside, the team seems to re-absorb them with little trouble.

I don't agree with your point that it's extremely remote that this team realizes its potential if Amile returns late ... with just a couple of games left in the regulars season. Kelly returned in March and made a big difference. Boozer returned in late March and made a big difference. If Jefferson can come back by the ACC Tourney at least, he makes a big difference.

This team needs Jefferson to make a deep NCAA run. He doesn't have to be the double-double machine he was before he was hurt (although historical evidence suggests he'll be close to that), but if he could provide a solid 15-20 minutes with his typical good defense and 6-7 rebounds as Duke's seventh man, it makes this team considerably stronger -- strong enough to win the national title in a year when there is not another great team.

It is important to note that those guys were out of commission over a shorter time period than Amile. Brand was out for 6 weeks. Kelly was out for less than 2 months - significant but less than Amile. Boozer (yes I did understate his impact but just a little) was out for basically a few weeks as well as Hurley. Amile has not been in a game since December 5th. The team has molded itself into something completely different (Successfully!) and will then have to re-mold itself in March if/when Amile comes back. I don't think one can assume it's going to be a seamless process. And it's very difficult to see this team getting to where it's as if he was never out.

Newton_14
02-20-2016, 01:36 AM
Newish jerseys for the game tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/dukeblueplanet/status/700745202454175744

Thanks! So The Ville, has replaced Mary Land as our annual Nike vs Under Armour "Battle of The Uni's" game. Nice.

P.S. You can purchase the jersey part of these slick uni's for the low low price of $120 at your local Duke Store! Yay! They will throw in the slick shorts for the low low price of $75!!

szstark
02-20-2016, 07:26 AM

Why do people believe this topic has to be discussed in virtually every thread? It is not productive. How is it any different from speculating about who is going to transfer, and that is banned?

freshmanjs
02-20-2016, 08:39 AM
Why do people believe this topic has to be discussed in virtually every thread? It is not productive. How is it any different from speculating about who is going to transfer, and that is banned?

It's different because the coaches and media have discussed it and also because playing for Duke next year is very different from transferring. Surprised that you would be indifferent between the 2.

dukebballcamper90-91
02-20-2016, 09:04 AM
Let's Go Duke!!!!!

lotusland
02-20-2016, 10:01 AM
Don't thing today in the yum center is the place for duke's last stand. The cards can't shoot straight. Play 3/2 zone with BI up top and jeter and Plumlee down low. Rotate the guards in and out, pack it in down low and roll the dice on the open shots outside 15 feet.

OldPhiKap
02-20-2016, 10:02 AM
Go Devils!

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-20-2016, 10:12 AM
We are a team full of roaches. You can't beat us. You'll just have to kill us. Good luck with that.
Love, Ima

jv001
02-20-2016, 10:16 AM
We are a team full of roaches. You can't beat us. You'll just have to kill us. Good luck with that.
Love, Ima

I thought we were vampires, :cool: Hard to beat no matter the name. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
02-20-2016, 10:33 AM
I thought we were vampires, :cool: Hard to beat no matter the name. GoDuke!

As long as we do not become Zombie Nation!

gotoguy
02-20-2016, 10:40 AM
Per the article on RaleighCo we are terminators

let's terminate this stretch with an implausible win. Go Devils!

Dukemomof2
02-20-2016, 10:58 AM
I just saw this on Twitter that Matt might be able to play. https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC/status/701069503422078976 Keep your fingers crossed. Even if he only comes in for a few minutes to give people a respite, that would be a big help.

Rich
02-20-2016, 10:59 AM
Thanks! So The Ville, has replaced Mary Land as our annual Nike vs Under Armour "Battle of The Uni's" game. Nice.

P.S. You can purchase the jersey part of these slick uni's for the low low price of $120 at your local Duke Store! Yay! They will throw in the slick shorts for the low low price of $75!!

Well, the good news for us fans is that there should be extras. They only had to make 5 of these for the team. :rolleyes:

Dukemomof2
02-20-2016, 11:03 AM
Wiseman posted this video of Matt practicing before the game. https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC/status/701065063986139136

Furniture
02-20-2016, 11:05 AM
Yes they just said on ESPN. He is warming up
Also informed tha Amile is not in a uniform and still the boot....

devildeac
02-20-2016, 11:20 AM
Another Wiseman twitter link:

https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC

Ahh, the magic healing powers of DUMC and the Duke trainers.

-jk
02-20-2016, 11:33 AM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

riverside6
02-20-2016, 11:47 AM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Louisville, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-louisville-basketball-live-stats-02202016

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Matt jones is warming up!!!

kAzE
02-20-2016, 12:29 PM
A. Matt jones is okay!!
B. Wow that Spalding kid is really good
C. How do we keep getting Dickie V?

wavedukefan70s
02-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Very physical game so far.

Ballboy1998
02-20-2016, 12:42 PM
I get really tired of watching Louisville mug people 80 ft from the basket every game and the refs never wanting to call the fouls. Pitino's press is 100% built on the concept that refs will not call all the fouls in the backcourt.

Andre Buckner Fan
02-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Plumlee is a rebound machine.

wavedukefan70s
02-20-2016, 12:45 PM
They have no problem calling them on us.i see k getting a technical in this one.the stripes
Are insane.

Ballboy1998
02-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Very nice first half other than some tedious foul situations, and some turnovers (a number of which were predicated on uncalled physicality from Louisville). Grayson has been lights out, Plumlee is working very hard on the glass. Thornton has been very solid and confident against the press. Nice to get some decent minutes from Jeter as well. I wonder if we will see any of Jones in the second half?

wilson
02-20-2016, 12:51 PM
Chase's rebound and put-back 6 or 8 minutes in was quite possibly his single best play as a Blue Devil. He pulled down another nice board late in the half after Kennard went to the bench with 3. Very encouraging.

InSpades
02-20-2016, 12:52 PM
19 points on 7 shots. I'd say that's pretty good for the efficiency numbers.

Great to see Matt warming up but let's keep him on the pine. This is a marathon not a sprint.

Jeter already w/ a few good plays out there... twin towers anyone?!

Let's finish this out Devils!

pamtar
02-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Thought the game started at 1 so missed the first 16 min. Can somebody give me a quick recap? Jeter do ok? Did he play with MP3 or sub for him? Kennard with 3 fouls, anybody else in foul trouble?

gurufrisbee
02-20-2016, 12:53 PM
I wonder if we will see any of Jones in the second half?

Three factors:

Kennard - 3 fouls, Allen - 2 fouls. Foul trouble with our backcourt guys could definitely influence that.

8 point lead - If the game isn't close either way (which seems unlikely), no way does K use him unnecessarily.

And mostly, what does the training staff and Jones say about how he is feeling.

kmspeaks
02-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Thought the game started at 1 so missed the first 16 min. Can somebody give me a quick recap? Jeter do ok? Did he play with MP3 or sub for him? Kennard with 3 fouls, anybody else in foul trouble?

A little bit of both, he was in there on his own and with Plumlee while Luke sat for a few. Grayson has 2 fouls but I think he's the only one.

Ballboy1998
02-20-2016, 12:58 PM

I thought Jeter played about as well as he has this year. Had a solid offensive rebound + put back three point play. Played both with and without Plumlee, though it seemed like he played more with Plumlee than without. I think it helped him to have Plumlee to rely on behind him on defense.

Other than that, very good shooting first half, especially from Grayson and Brandon. Kennard is the only one with 3 fouls, but Grayson has 2 and things could definitely get dangerous early in the second half, especially after the refs do what refs always seem to do -- realize they let it be too physical and overcompensate for the first 5 minutes of the second half.

CDu
02-20-2016, 12:59 PM
Solid first half. Ingram had several hiccups against the press, and Kennard picked up 3 fouls. But everything else went fairly well. Hopefully we can keep it up in the second half.

wavedukefan70s
02-20-2016, 01:03 PM
We are shooting 50 pct.they are hitting 52 .
We have made as many 3 balls as they have attempted.

jv001
02-20-2016, 01:03 PM
Coach K shows why he's the best. He get's a timeout and Grayson hits a three. Got it to the man who's hot. Too bad old roy can't figure that out. :cool:
GoDuke!

AtlBluRew
02-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Why isn't Johnson already off the court?

wavedukefan70s
02-20-2016, 01:23 PM
He should be ejected.

gurufrisbee
02-20-2016, 01:23 PM
He should be ejected.

Absolutely. Look liked that felon thug Hansbrough

wavedukefan70s
02-20-2016, 01:25 PM
He was throwing blows while being pulled away.

wilson
02-20-2016, 01:38 PM
Looks like a separated shoulder for Thornton. Good grief.

DukeDevil
02-20-2016, 01:41 PM
Looks like a separated shoulder for Thornton. Good grief.

That was my thought too. Ugh.

kAzE
02-20-2016, 01:41 PM
Whyyyyyyyyyyyy?!?!

91devil
02-20-2016, 01:42 PM
Hang in there, Duke!

Potato
02-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Those refs were garbage

AtlBluRew
This is the last game against Louisville this year, but I sure hope we get brutal revenge next year. They're playing as rough as the refs let them, which is smart, but I want to see revenge. Proud of our guys for fighting back.

gurufrisbee
Seriously? Coach K gets T'd up for correctly telling the refs what a horrible job they are doing and Johnson, who should be ejected, follows that up by hitting a jumper. What a perfectly appropriate sequence for describing what crap this game is.

kAzE
02-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Well, on the bright side, at least Grayson is safe from the injury bug for the rest of the game. Sigh.

InSpades
02-20-2016, 01:57 PM
You're right Grayson, it was bullcrap.

See you in the tournament Louisville... oh, wait.

Lulu
02-20-2016, 01:59 PM
Ok, who is that official?

g-money
02-20-2016, 01:59 PM
This game is making a mockery of the "freedom of motion" rules that were (supposedly) put in before the season.

Credit to Duke for fighting to the end, regardless of the circumstances.

brevity
02-20-2016, 02:05 PM
i see k getting a technical in this one.

So did that official.

Lulu
02-20-2016, 02:06 PM
Well I never expected to win this game. Duke did nothing wrong today. I haven't been this angry at officiating in years.

CoachJ10
02-20-2016, 02:07 PM
These refs should never ref another acc game.

tbyers11
02-20-2016, 02:08 PM
Grayson can't lose his cool, but I can't blame him. Those 4th and 5th calls were some the worst BS I've ever seen. That being said, if Derryck doesn't get hurt I still think we win.

Really, really bad job by the refs.

Great fight by the Devils