PDA

View Full Version : Phase V - 2015-2016 Season (Louisville through Unc #2)

superdave
02-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Here’s the link to Phase IV. We went 4-0 during this Phase. Who saw that coming?

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?37262-Phase-IV-2015-16-Season

Here’s a quick preview of the matchups in Phase V before we get into the details:

- The Louisville re-match, this time on the road, will certainly be a tough one. There’s potential for a letdown after this depleted roster left it all on the court vs Unc.
- FSU at home. They could really use an upset win if they have any prayer of playing their way onto the bubble.
- Pitt is squarely on the bubble and has not been playing well of late. But conference road games are always tough.
- Wake Forest is always tough because we never seem to be able to guard Devin Thomas.
- The Unc re-match will be a tough one. Here’s hoping Amile is back to guard Johnson. Senior night for Amile and Marshall.

Health

We need to catch a break here. Oooops, bad choice of words. We need the basketball gods to smile upon us and send their healing rays down to Amile and Matt’s lower extremities. This really kinda sucks because we are so talented and the NCAA field is wiiiiiiide open this year without a single dominant team.

The immediate concern is how long we will have a Matt Jones Ankle Vigil thread up. The long-term concern is when and if we ever get Amile back. We are past the two month point. This is kinda nauseating. Without Jones, Jeter is going to have to play a few more minutes. But you can expect the five starters to be playing 35+ minutes for the duration. That is a lot to ask.

When Amile does come back, how will he be re-integrated? Does he claim a starting spot and 30+ minutes? Do we play a lot less of Brandon at the 4? I think Amile should come off the bench in recognition of the fact that the chemistry is good and things are clicking. History shows that Coach K will throw an established starter right back into the starting lineup (Irving, Kelly).

Dare I mention Coach K’s health too? He missed the GT game and Jeff Capel filled in admirably. Let’s just move on….

Defensive Schemes

Man-to-man D has improved a lot the last month. Derryck Thornton is a big reason for that. DT will get his own section below, but he deserves a mountain of praise. You know Coach K so you know this is a his go-to. We kept working on the man even when zone appeared to be the more attractive option after Amile went down. That work is paying off.

Zone is a curveball and necessary to protect against foul trouble. We may see more of the 2-3 if Matt is out a few games. We may get the 1-3-1 back if we ever get Amile back. That was a good look for us with Brandon up top putting his incredible wing span to good use.

I always like the wrinkles Coach K comes up with for one-off use. We face-guarded Cat Barber 90 feet from the basket and it screwed up State’s rhythm to start the game. I bet we see some adjustment in the next Carolina game to throw a blanket on Brice Johnson.

Defensive Rebounding

For ACC only games, we are -1.5 in rebounding margin and 13th in the conference in defensive rebounding percentage (65.6%). With Amile out, this is not a surprise. He was averaging a double double. The boards are where we miss him most. But Brandon is rebounding well on the defensive end. He is doing everything you could want a skinny freshman to do at the 4 position. Marshall is a pretty good rim protector, but not a great defensive rebounder. But I swear he has a knack for stepping it up down the stretch of games. You cannot ask much more of either guy.

Anyone have rebounding % stats for those two they can share? I cannot imagine they are great, but I feel like these two are close to maxing out their rebounding potential.

The Rotation and Endurance

Given our health and thin bench, and don’t forget about our relative youth, our rotation is going to log heavy minutes this Phase. Chase Jeter barely got on the court in the second half vs Unc, and probably only did because of Marshall’s four fouls. Until Matt comes back (assuming he misses a game or two?), there is no rest for the weary and no margin for error. Does anyone hit a wall? Can we keep winning close games? A close finish can be exhausting.

Derryck’s Improvement

This is the story of last Phase. Derryck moved into the starting lineup after the loss to Miami. The last five games he is averaging 31 minutes and we are 5-0. The prior five games he averaged 19.8 minutes and we lost 4 of those 5. He was playing too fast on the offensive end, taking bad shots and looking like a freshman.

But something has clicked with him. He is dialed in on defense. Since joining the starting lineup he has 9 steals and two blocks (including getting a hand on Joel Berry’s game winning shot attempt vs Unc). The previous five games, he had two steals and no blocks. He’s aggressive on D and it makes our man-to-man look pretty darn good. We held teams to 70 points per game the last five games, but gave up 77 over the rough five game stretch including 95 to ND.

He is also dialed in on the offensive end. Coming off the bench for the rough five game stretch his assist turnover ratio was 7:6, the last five games it is 13:8. He is initiating the offense well, but also keeping things balanced by getting out of Ingram and Allen’s way when necessary (which is often). He seems to have lost the urge to over-point-guard things, if that makes sense.

Derryck does have further to go. We could use a few more buckets out of him. He’s only scored in double figure once in conference play. He is 10-33 from 3-land in ACC play (30%). We don need a whole lot of points from him, but through good shot selection his shooting % should rise.

Are We an Elite Team?

We just beat #13 Louisville, #7 Virginia and #5 Carolina. In a row. That’s far removed from losing 4 of 5 games in January and dropping out of the polls. That is the level of competition you can expect to see in regional final matchups and we won them all.

There is not a team in the country that scares me. Last year, Duke, Kentucky and Wisconsin were elite. This year the top teams are below the elite level that last year's tiop tier were in. I like Kansas’s two wins over Oklahoma, but how good is Oklahoma? Villanova is #1 for now but got handled by Oklahoma and Virginia. Guessing they are not going to steamroll the field in March. Maryland has a nice win vs Iowa but lost to Sparty and Unc and got embarrassed on their home court vs Wisconsin. I could go on, but you get the picture. We’re all flawed.

We have elite talent that is producing at a high level. Our offensive rating on kenpom.com is #2 (behind Notre Dame only). Our defensive rating has gone from the 150 range to the 90s the last couple of weeks. Coach K is putting the house in order. The defense has been stellar closing out the last two games against two Elite 8 levels squads. We still can get better, but we are on a big upswing and will hopefully have Amile back and a healthy 7-man rotation by the end of this Phase. As I mentioned previously, the NCAA tournament is going to be wide open and we will have as good a chance as anyone if the health thing gets fixed.

Go Duke!

May The Force be with you, young Blue Devils!

FerryFor50
02-18-2016, 04:29 PM
I fully expect, after the wringer of...

- Beating a strangely inspired L'ville in Cameron
- Beating a tough UVA team at the buzzer
- Beating UNC on their home floor by 1

... that Duke might get beaten pretty badly at L'ville. No Matt Jones to lock down Damion Lee. Short(er) bench. Maybe we get Amile back, but likely not.

L'ville looked great against Syracuse and are not taking the season off, despite it meaning nothing.

But 3-1 in this brutal stretch? I'll take it.

Kedsy
02-18-2016, 06:12 PM
Anyone have rebounding % stats for those two they can share? I cannot imagine they are great, but I feel like these two are close to maxing out their rebounding potential.

Nice phase post, Dave.

For the season, Marshall has a 12.5% offensive rebounding percentage (a little worse than his career average) and a 17.8% defensive rebounding percentage (his career high by a decent amount). In conference play, those go to 14.2% OR% (better than his career average) and 16.2% DR% (still a career high, but kind of poor for a 7' center).

For the season, Brandon has a 6.3% OR% and a 16.2% DR%, although early in the year he played a fair amount of SF, so those are hybrid numbers. In ACC play, his numbers are 5.3% OR% and 18.3% DR%, which is decent for a PF but not spectacular (Brice Johnson's DR%, for example, is 30.7%, which is spectacular).

superdave
02-18-2016, 06:18 PM
Nice phase post, Dave.

For the season, Marshall has a 12.5% offensive rebounding percentage (a little worse than his career average) and a 17.8% defensive rebounding percentage (his career high by a decent amount). In conference play, those go to 14.2% OR% (better than his career average) and 16.2% DR% (still a career high, but kind of poor for a 7' center).

For the season, Brandon has a 6.3% OR% and a 16.2% DR%, although early in the year he played a fair amount of SF, so those are hybrid numbers. In ACC play, his numbers are 5.3% OR% and 18.3% DR%, which is decent for a PF but not spectacular (Brice Johnson's DR%, for example, is 30.7%, which is spectacular).

Thanks Kedsy. This very well may come back to haunt us. But we are winning even while losing the rebounding battle ( -15 vs Unc, -4 vs Louisville, -9 vs State).

Amile's return would solve so many issues.....

gocanes0506
02-18-2016, 10:38 PM
With Jones and Amile out for most if not all of this phase, I'd be surprised if we go better than 2-3. I know they are young but playing all those minutes will take its toll. 3 games in 6 days will be brutal.

Doria
02-19-2016, 01:32 PM
UL... We'll play it however we best can.

I'm pretty worried about FSU and Pitt. They're psychologically easy to overlook, but these aren't terrible teams and will have their backs against the wall. We absolutely should beat them, but we cannot let up against them, thinking they're easy outs. Maybe they will be, and I'll be more than happy to say I was wrong. Fortunately, Coach K will also be reminding them not to sleep on these games.

Kedsy
02-19-2016, 03:27 PM
UL... We'll play it however we best can.

I'm pretty worried about FSU and Pitt. They're psychologically easy to overlook, but these aren't terrible teams and will have their backs against the wall. We absolutely should beat them, but we cannot let up against them, thinking they're easy outs. Maybe they will be, and I'll be more than happy to say I was wrong. Fortunately, Coach K will also be reminding them not to sleep on these games.

Also, and this may sound weird, but the fact that we're so shorthanded can (psychologically) work in our favor, since the Duke players will probably feel the lack of Matt and Amile and realize they can't let up. Even if/when Matt and Amile return, the excitement of seeing them on the court again would help keep the players from feeling lackadaisical. Maybe.

westwall
02-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Also, and this may sound weird, but the fact that we're so shorthanded can (psychologically) work in our favor, since the Duke players will probably feel the lack of Matt and Amile and realize they can't let up. Even if/when Matt and Amile return, the excitement of seeing them on the court again would help keep the players from feeling lackadaisical. Maybe.

Wishful thinking? Maybe, but I like it!

superdave
02-29-2016, 11:55 AM
The last three games we a 1-2 and Thornton has 2 assists, 6 turnovers and 9 fouls combined. I thought he was the key to the February turnaround, so maybe he will be the key to our March performance.

CDu
02-29-2016, 11:59 AM
The last three games we a 1-2 and Thornton has 2 assists, 6 turnovers and 9 fouls combined. I thought he was the key to the February turnaround, so maybe he will be the key to our March performance.

It definitely hasn't been a strong set of games for Thornton of late. He got outplayed by Lewis and Robinson (two tough seniors) in our losses and struggled in the win over FSU.

Frankly, most of the team was mediocre/bad yesterday, so Thornton is not alone. But progress isn't always linear or even step-wise, so hopefully this is just an ebb in advance of improvement down the stretch.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-29-2016, 12:35 PM
It definitely hasn't been a strong set of games for Thornton of late. He got outplayed by Lewis and Robinson (two tough seniors) in our losses and struggled in the win over FSU.

Frankly, most of the team was mediocre/bad yesterday, so Thornton is not alone. But progress isn't always linear or even step-wise, so hopefully this is just an ebb in advance of improvement down the stretch.

Hopefully these last few games give the coaches some quality tape to show him, and he learns from his mistakes. He will be very important over the next month for us.

superdave
03-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Duke finished up the final regular season phase with a 2-3 record. They seem to be running out of gas.

I thought they had turned the corner in February and were playing pretty good defense. But we got out-rebounded every game this phase including margins of -19 vs Pitt and -35 vs Unc. Thornton regressed a little too, with only 6 assists against 8 turnovers over 5 games. The team has shot right at 37% each of the last three games as well.

With the news that Amile Jefferson is not coming back, is there any way Duke can beat tough competition on back to back days? It's a pretty tall order for a team that is tired.