PDA

View Full Version : Tony Moore passes

JasonEvans
02-18-2016, 03:31 PM
A friend just alerted me to this... Kenny Blakeney is trying to raise money to pay funeral costs for Tony Moore.

https://www.gofundme.com/k3pjrsfe

There was a $100 pledge from Debbie Krzyzewski just under an hour ago. Also $100 from Robert Brickey. Blakeney got it started with a $250 pledge.

I wonder what had happened in Tony's life that he would not have an estate capable of paying to move his body. Very sad...

-Jason

Love_Duke
02-18-2016, 04:02 PM
A friend just alerted me to this... Kenny Blakeney is trying to raise money to pay funeral costs for Tony Moore.

https://www.gofundme.com/k3pjrsfe

There was a $100 pledge from Debbie Krzyzewski just under an hour ago. Also $100 from Robert Brickey. Blakeney got it started with a $250 pledge.

I wonder what had happened in Tony's life that he would not have an estate capable of paying to move his body. Very sad...

-Jason

He had been ill and needed a heart transplant and just ran out of time.

CrazyNotCrazie
02-18-2016, 04:51 PM
Sad to hear he passed so young. I always wondered what he was doing post-Duke.

1999ballboy
02-18-2016, 09:49 PM
Kenny Dennard, Ron Burt, and former Duke football players Tijan Redmon and Orlando Adwaters have also made contributions. It's always sad to hear about someone passing so young. Hope he found some peace in his life after Duke - at the very least, it does appear that many members of the Duke family had his back, and that has to count for something.

davekay1971
02-18-2016, 10:50 PM
I am crushed to hear this.

Tony went to Newport Prep in Kensington, Maryland. He was a freshman there when I was a senior. It was a tiny school, just about 80 kids in the entire high school. We were on the basketball team together, although Tony, as a freshman, was a prodigious talent, while I was the last guy off the bench, and did not play my senior year because of an ACL injury. Still, with such a small school, and being on the basketball team, we knew each other.

Tony was one of the nicest, friendliest kids around. He seemed to always smile, I can't remember ever seeing him angry or unhappy, and he was just a fun kid to be around. At 14, he was goofy, in the best possible way. By the time he was a freshman at Duke, on the team, and I was a senior, most definitely not on the team, he was the same sweet, nice, pleasant kid, just bigger.

I never kept in touch with Tony after that. I knew him from high school and liked him, but our lives diverged. This news comes a shock to me. I am truly sad to hear this. Tony was just a great kid. I'll always remember him that way.

Rest in peace with God, Tony. For the time I knew you, you were a joy to know.

jipops
02-19-2016, 08:39 AM
This is very, very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.

Love_Duke
02-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Here's a link to a nice article on Tony

http://www.thesentinel.com/mont/columns/sporting-view/item/3142-remembering-one-of-the-best-local-prep-athletes

Love_Duke
02-19-2016, 01:32 PM
Here's a link to a nice article on Tony

http://www.thesentinel.com/mont/columns/sporting-view/item/3142-remembering-one-of-the-best-local-prep-athletes

As posted on the GoFundMe page:

There will be a funeral held in ATLANTA on Monday Feb 22 @ first iconium Baptist church @ 12:00 there will be a viewing at the same location at 10am....The address is 542 MORELAND AVE ATLANTA GA 30316...The family would love to see u there....

Indoor66
02-19-2016, 02:03 PM
Have your peace, young man. I remember you well and it was good.

BLPOG
02-19-2016, 08:37 PM
I just went to the page to contribute and, fortunately, it looks like they've reached their goal. There are many famous Duke names in the list of contributors. I've been critical of Jay Bilas these past few months, but seeing his name on the list for something important like this puts things in perspective. It's great to see that the Duke community (and others) were so fast in responding to the fundraiser.

Love_Duke
02-24-2016, 12:51 PM
The Memorial service for Antonio Moore will be held at The New Dawn Baptist Church
5909 Riggs Rd.
Hyattsville, MD.
Friday, February 26, 2016
Viewing 10 - 11 am
Service 11am- 1:00 pm

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to the GoFundMe page that helped make this celebration of his life possible.

RIP Tony.