PDA

View Full Version : K's Health and Olympic Story

Billy Dat
02-18-2016, 09:51 AM
I don't like the sound of this:

Health concerns could knock Coach K from Olympics
Colangelo mulls possible replacement if Duke coach pulls out
POSTED: Feb 17, 2016 8:54 PM ET

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/02/17/colangelo-mulls-possible-alternatives-if-coach-k-cant-make-olympics/index.html?cid=nbacomsocial_tw_sf21099208

""I'm always concerned about people I love, and I love Coach K," Colangelo told NBA TV. "You've heard my expression, 'We're joined at the hip and have been ever since we joined together back in '05.' I am concerned about his health. I told him on the phone (recently) nothing is more important than his health. Not Duke basketball. Not USA Basketball. I hope and I pray that he can take care of his situations, whatever they may be, and that he's healthy and ready to go."

Colangelo said he has "not really" had conversations with Krzyzewski about possibly stepping aside before the Olympics and that "We're not at that stage at all. I do know that his intention is the day after his Duke season is over is to have his knee replaced. It's killing him right now. But that's just one facet of his health circumstances. We'll cross that bridge. Certainly in the back of my mind I'm thinking about what ifs. But it would be, I think, inappropriate and out of place to even discuss it.""

Atlanta Duke
02-18-2016, 09:57 AM

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/02/17/colangelo-mulls-possible-alternatives-if-coach-k-cant-make-olympics/index.html?cid=nbacomsocial_tw_sf21099208

""I'm always concerned about people I love, and I love Coach K," Colangelo told NBA TV. "You've heard my expression, 'We're joined at the hip and have been ever since we joined together back in '05.' I am concerned about his health. I told him on the phone (recently) nothing is more important than his health. Not Duke basketball. Not USA Basketball. I hope and I pray that he can take care of his situations, whatever they may be, and that he's healthy and ready to go."

Colangelo said he has "not really" had conversations with Krzyzewski about possibly stepping aside before the Olympics and that "We're not at that stage at all. I do know that his intention is the day after his Duke season is over is to have his knee replaced. It's killing him right now. But that's just one facet of his health circumstances. We'll cross that bridge. Certainly in the back of my mind I'm thinking about what ifs. But it would be, I think, inappropriate and out of place to even discuss it.""

Odd story

It would be inappropriate and out of place to discuss it yet Jerry Colangelo discusses it?

Even assuming this was just a cold call by the NBA.com writer I am surprised Colangelo was so forthcoming

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-18-2016, 10:02 AM

Oof, that's some cold water on a happy morning. Quite an odd off-handed comment to make. I can only hope it's a casual reference to the game missed earlier this month, but it really doesn't sound like it. Perhaps he means the knee replacement is just one facet of his health, as all of us would say that our knees are just one facet of our health?

/straws, I'm grasping at them

sagegrouse
02-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Odd story

It would be inappropriate and out of place to discuss it yet Jerry Colangelo discusses it?

Even assuming this was just a cold call by the NBA.com writer I am surprised Colangelo was so forthcoming

Isn't this just about his knee surgery in April? (Surely not in March!)

fgb
02-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Oof, that's some cold water on a happy morning. Quite an odd off-handed comment to make. I can only hope it's a casual reference to the game missed earlier this month, but it really doesn't sound like it. Perhaps he means the knee replacement is just one facet of his health, as all of us would say that our knees are just one facet of our health?

/straws, I'm grasping at them

could easily be the knee replacement, and the recovery time associated with it.

could also be coming to terms with age, and the toll that coaching year round being greater on him than it was 4 years ago. k may simply need the summer months to recharge now, in a way that he didn't only a few years ago.

Atlanta Duke
02-18-2016, 11:08 AM
Isn't this just about his knee surgery in April? (Surely not in March!)

As noted by other posters, the hook to the story arguably is "[b]ut that's just one facet of his health circumstances."

Making statements like that is going to raise questions - since I doubt NBA.com writers are in the habit of expecting responses to cold calls about the possibility of the Team USA coach stepping down for health reasons this just looks unusual - elected officials are not the only ones capable of using reporters to put something in play

jv001
02-18-2016, 11:14 AM
I just had knee replacement surgery in September, 2015 and I'm quite happy with the progress I've made. The key is how you do therapy. Do it the correct way and you should be fine. I'm sure Coach will come away with far less pain than he's in now. I'm just waiting for the weather to get better so I can hit the golf course. :cool: GoDuke!

Owen Meany
02-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Odd story

First and foremost, I hope, and believe, everything is well with Coach K.

Agree that this was odd for Coangelo to discuss this. If Coach K wanted to make comments about his health, I believe he would make them himself. I'm sure there will be coaches who will try to use this on the recruiting trail. Not sure what Coangelo was thinking.

This was likely an off hand comment, given the fact that Coach K is 70 years old, needs knee surgery (and he did miss the GT game). You have NBA players, in their prime, who choose to skip the Olympics, World Championships, etc because they need to rest and recover during the summer. Coach K has a tremendous amount on his plate, both during the season and after. So Coangelo is likely being cautious, and reminding Coach K and the public that he has to take care of himself first. This is the exact same thing Coach K needed to do in 1995 - but it did not signal the end of his career. If Coach K needs to take the summer off post knee surgery then he has an out. But Coach K has certainly done nothing to suggest that this is something he is considering.

I've got to believe that if there were an issue of significance that Coangelo would absolutely not make reference to it to a reporter. Particularly considering they are close friends.

FWIW, for anyone here who has not seen Coach K in person recently - he definitely appears to be in remarkable shape for a man his age, or a decade younger.

Billy Dat
02-18-2016, 11:36 AM
FWIW, for anyone here who has not seen Coach K in person recently - he definitely appears to be in remarkable shape for a man his age, or a decade younger.

Not to pivot here to an easy target, but Roy looks like hell. Did you catch his really bad limping as he tried to run up the sideline at a critical moment last night. With the vertigo and whatever is happening with his knees or hips or whatever is making him hobble, he looks terrible.

Back to K, considering that this news did not break big, I suspect Colangelo made a mistake and has his minions threatening every media outlet to kill the story.

devildeac
02-18-2016, 12:25 PM
Makes complete sense. I'd guess that either K himself and/or Mickie and/or his ortho surgeon might "shut him(self) down" for 2-3 months after the surgery for R&R&R (rest, relaxation and rehab), considering the 1995 story.

Atlanta Duke
02-18-2016, 08:06 PM
Back to K, considering that this news did not break big, I suspect Colangelo made a mistake and has his minions threatening every media outlet to kill the story.

The story was picked up by other outlets, but K has responded emphatically and, as you predicted, Colangelo walked his comments back this afternoon

Mike Krzyzewski says surgery won't keep him from coaching Olympics

Duke coach Mike Mike Krzyzewski, who will have knee surgery following the college basketball season, released a statement Thursday saying he expects to coach the United States national team in Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 Olympics Games...

"Immediately after the Duke basketball season is completed, I will undergo replacement surgery on my left knee," Krzyzewski said in the statement. "I have every intention of coaching the United States national team in Rio at the 2016 Olympics."

Colangelo clarified his original comments on Thursday in a statement, saying that "at no time" have he and Krzyzewski discussed him not coaching this summer.

"I remain 100 percent convinced that there is no better coach to lead the U.S. as it looks to successfully defend its Olympic gold medal in Rio and represent the United States in a manner all Americans will be proud of," Colangelo said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2016/02/18/duke-mike-krzyzewski-surgery-health-coaching-olympics/80579000/

Glad this appears to be nothing more than Colangelo speculating about possibilities without thinking how his comments might be perceived

crdaul
02-18-2016, 08:36 PM
First and foremost, I hope, and believe, everything is well with Coach K.

Agree that this was odd for Coangelo to discuss this. If Coach K wanted to make comments about his health, I believe he would make them himself. I'm sure there will be coaches who will try to use this on the recruiting trail. Not sure what Coangelo was thinking.

This was likely an off hand comment, given the fact that Coach K is 70 years old, needs knee surgery (and he did miss the GT game). You have NBA players, in their prime, who choose to skip the Olympics, World Championships, etc because they need to rest and recover during the summer. Coach K has a tremendous amount on his plate, both during the season and after. So Coangelo is likely being cautious, and reminding Coach K and the public that he has to take care of himself first. This is the exact same thing Coach K needed to do in 1995 - but it did not signal the end of his career. If Coach K needs to take the summer off post knee surgery then he has an out. But Coach K has certainly done nothing to suggest that this is something he is considering.

I've got to believe that if there were an issue of significance that Coangelo would absolutely not make reference to it to a reporter. Particularly considering they are close friends.

Agree,..but he's only 69....

Indoor66
02-18-2016, 09:32 PM
Agree,..but he's only 69...

Believe me (and some others on the board), that is very young.:cool:

dukelifer
02-18-2016, 10:38 PM
Not to pivot here to an easy target, but Roy looks like hell. Did you catch his really bad limping as he tried to run up the sideline at a critical moment last night. With the vertigo and whatever is happening with his knees or hips or whatever is making him hobble, he looks terrible.

Roy had surgery on his knee - torn meniscus- over the summer. Looks like he may need more repair. Old guys - like myself- don't always heal that fast or well.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article59593926.html

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-19-2016, 02:50 AM
Update:
http://espn.go.com/chicago/olympics/story/_/id/14802186/mike-krzyzewski-duke-blue-devils-remains-committed-coach-2016-rio-games

53n206
02-19-2016, 09:17 AM

Indeed I did notice Roy was in obvious pain. He also looked bad during after game press conference. Old,tired,and discouraged.