PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. UNC (Feb 17, 2016)

JBDuke
02-17-2016, 11:34 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their 74-73 win over UNC tonight?

mattman91
02-17-2016, 11:35 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their 74-73 win over UNC tonight?

Roy Williams

fisheyes
02-17-2016, 11:37 PM
Just can't pick one!
This was one of the best team efforts ever!

JetpackJesus
02-17-2016, 11:39 PM
I'm giving it to DT for the outstanding defense on the last shot. Defense that was objectively not a foul, Roy.

pamtar
02-17-2016, 11:41 PM
Did Luke miss a shot? Seriously. Did he miss a shot? I honestly don't think he did. Kid was poised for a breakout game. I'm glad we got the win but if I see another ISO drive into traffic with Luke chillin in the corner, ALONE, I'm gonna get kicked out of my house.

DukeDiva
02-17-2016, 11:42 PM
I voted for Allen for his strong drives. Great team effort, they found the heart they had lost during the dark stretch of losses.

BlueHeaven
02-17-2016, 11:44 PM
Did Luke miss a shot? Seriously. Did he miss a shot? I honestly don't think he did. Kid was poised for a breakout game. I'm glad we got the win but if I see another ISO drive into traffic with Luke chillin in the corner, ALONE, I'm gonna get kicked out of my house.

He went 6 for 9. Great game.

kAzE
I'm abstaining . . . impossible to pick one player in this game. Those 5 guys that closed the game out each did their part and made game winning plays every possession. To say they gave their maximum effort would be an understatement.

weezie
Brandon said, "Climb on!"

OZ
MOTM?

Coach K and the whole dang TEAM!!!!!!!

CDu
All of them

MCFinARL
02-17-2016, 11:45 PM
All of them

Agree--can't pick one in this game. Tough, tough kids.

devildeac
02-17-2016, 11:47 PM
I'll go with Allen though this was really a team effort from his 23 points, to Ingram's fabulous second half performance to DT's block on the last shot, MP3 not fouling out and his 11/7 and Luke really, really stepping up with his 15 off the bench. Great coaching job, too, by the GOAT. My legs and hands are still shaking. What a great, great effort by our guys. Still can't believe this one.

elvis14
02-17-2016, 11:48 PM
I'll go with Allen though this was really a team effort from his 23 points, to Ingram's fabulous second half performance to DT's block on the last shot, MP3 not fouling out and his 11/7 and Luke really, really stepping up with his 15 off the bench. Great coaching job, too, by the GOAT. My legs and hands are still shaking. What a great, great effort by our guys. Still can't believe this one.

Well said. I went with Allen as well but this should be one of those polls where the votes get spread around.

FerryFor50
02-17-2016, 11:57 PM
I went with Ingram because of how tough he hit the boards and his overall defense (with some monster blocks) in addition to his offense.

Allen was great, too - and he hit his FTs down the stretch!

moonpie23
02-18-2016, 12:00 AM
sorry, i'm not voting.....i don't see coach K THE GOAT OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL on the list...

ricks68
02-18-2016, 12:06 AM
Roy Williams

I wish I could spork you on this one, so could someone do it for me.:p

ricks

mattman91
02-18-2016, 12:08 AM
I wish I could spork you on this one, so could someone do it for me.:p

ricks

Mountain Devil first nominated him in the post game thread. Spork him if possible :cool:

Saratoga2
02-18-2016, 12:11 AM
I found it hard to pick a MOTM since Brandon and Grayson both were stellar. I chose Brandon since his late scoring, rebounding and defense were so key to the win, but then Grayson's plays were as well.

CameronBornAndBred
02-18-2016, 12:11 AM
So many legit choices. I voted Marshall. Comes in and plays tougher than imaginable for the better part of the second half with 4 fouls. When K brought him back in so early, I rolled my eyes, dreading the soft-playing-off-the-ball liability he'd be. And he played with more toughness and aggression than he had shown before he went out. He was amazing.
The game was amazing.
This team is amazing.

flyingdutchdevil
02-18-2016, 12:13 AM
I hate giving MOTM to a player who isn't the obvious choice. And - fortunately - there isn't one this game. But I went unorthodox - I went with Thornton. Zero turnovers and he helped contain Paige and Berry to 4/22 from the floor. Thornton is just lovely. Happy to make him my next favorite Duke player, following in the footsteps of Redick, Nolan, and Cook.

SupaDave
02-18-2016, 12:17 AM
Maybe the toughest game this season for a man of the match. Thornton stepped up. Kennard was sharp. Grayson was aggressive. Ingram was everywhere. Plumlee protected the rim. Just wow. Just wow. Wow.

ricks68
02-18-2016, 12:37 AM
I decided to be unconventional and vote for Matt because I believe that he provided the inspiration for every player on the floor to send the Holes straight to Hell!:p
(Besides, there was no way I could vote for all the other 5 guys plus Chase.)

ricks

BluDvlsN1
02-18-2016, 12:38 AM
Agree with no MOTM this time.

K made the correct adjustments for the situations.

The team played together and with heart.

It was a Classic DUKE win.

gurufrisbee
02-18-2016, 01:33 AM
Like everyone else is saying, picking one guy is crazy for such an amazing team effort by all of the five of them. I went for Plumlee because when you look at what he did as the only legit post player against a huge team and especially when you look at what he did the last ten minutes with four fouls and what Brice did NOT do those last ten minutes - Wow.

BoiseDevil
02-18-2016, 02:21 AM
I vote "team D" in last 5 minutes of the game for MEN of the match

OZZIE4DUKE
02-18-2016, 05:41 AM
With over 5 minutes left in the game, I said "MP3 is the MOTM", so I voted for him. But truly a terrific, magnificent team win! And yeah, Ol'Roy deserves some votes too! GTHc!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-18-2016, 07:11 AM
Mountain Devil first nominated him in the post game thread. Spork him if possible :cool:

Thanks for the credit!

My MOTM goes to Ingram who had his first "refuse to lose" look that I have seen. I so wish we would get to see him in Chapel Hill again, but nice was to make your mark.

duke blue brewcrew
02-18-2016, 07:26 AM

I 110% agree with this, well said. I went with Allen as well, but truly a team effort. Ingram was a beast in the 2nd half, Lt. MP3 playing with foul trouble, Kennard shined, and Thornton's great defense, especially on that last shot of the game. I chose Allen because of his ability to score throughout the game, his gritty drives, and for making the FTs this time when Duke really needed them. Coach K made some outstanding halftime and in-game adjustments, and deserves his own vote for MOTM for coaching circles around Ole Roy. What a turnaround by this team from the mid-season struggles! The maturation process has been painful at times, but I do believe the catepillar has blossomed into the butterfly before our very eyes. Get better fast Matt Jones! LGD!!!

camion
02-18-2016, 07:34 AM
I'm voting for everyone this time.

This was an inspiring team win.

Furniture
02-18-2016, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the credit!

My MOTM goes to Ingram who had his first "refuse to lose" look that I have seen. I so wish we would get to see him in Chapel Hill again, but nice was to make your mark.

Props for the 'refuse to lose' look description. I had been struggling to find a word to describe that. Anyway, I thought I saw it on Saturday too if not before!

jmck214
02-18-2016, 08:16 AM
I'll go Grayson but Thornton went 39 minutes with no turnovers, 2 steals, 1 block and some big defensive stops down the stretch

Chillduck
02-18-2016, 08:38 AM
This is the one game where they all deserve it!!! GTHC! GTH!

jipops
02-18-2016, 08:53 AM
Yea, I really struggle to pick just one guy here. 5 guys played pivotal roles last night.

But just to single out one, I'm actually going to go with Plumlee. To play like he did with 4 fouls for the majority of the 2nd half was unbelievable. Inexplicably, his defense was actually better playing with 4 fouls. And his boards in the 2nd half were just enormous, exactly what we needed.

It is incredible how much this kid has improved at Duke. I know he came in to Duke as a McDonald's All-American but you would have been hard pressed to find any one skill that actually stood out. He didn't exactly come to Duke with any sort of foot work or touch around the basket. Yet he has molded himself into a very effective player at this level. It was especially sweet to see him go 5-5 up against Kennedy Meeks, who poked fun at him a few years back here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT3Yc6-wSLQ&feature=player_embedded).

Bob Green
02-18-2016, 09:07 AM
I voted for Brandon Ingram. Why? From the game recap article at GoDuke:

He [Ingram] became the second Duke player after Jeff Mullins in February 1962 to record at least 20 points and 10 rebounds in his first career game against North Carolina...

Being in company with Jeff Mullins is a huge accomplishment.

elvis14
02-18-2016, 09:52 AM
I voted for Brandon Ingram. Why? From the game recap article at GoDuke:

Being in company with Jeff Mullins is a huge accomplishment.

I thought the coolest thing about Brandon last night was how well he recovered. He came out too hyped or something and he didn't play well on either end of the court. He missed shots we are not used to seeing him miss. But, he didn't get down or check out or anything like that. He got focussed and got after it and played a GREAT second half. For a freshman to respond that way not in the next game but later in the same game is special.

Albert
02-18-2016, 10:11 AM
With over 5 minutes left in the game, I said "MP3 is the MOTM", so I voted for him. But truly a terrific, magnificent team win! And yeah, Ol'Roy deserves some votes too! GTHc!

Agreed. There was one point where Marshall was standing under the basket on defense with Brandon right next to him. He more or less threw Brandon in the direction of the perimeter / top of the key and set up shop with his arms out. I maybe noticed it because Bilas had just been saying something about leadership from a military perspective. Marshall was channeling Amile at the point, providing us with what we were missing in terms of defensive leadership without Amile, and I think that's what won us the game. His play in the last ten minutes, to me, was the most remarkable thing that happened last night.

GGLC
02-18-2016, 10:16 AM
So many legit choices. I voted Marshall. Comes in and plays tougher than imaginable for the better part of the second half with 4 fouls. When K brought him back in so early, I rolled my eyes, dreading the soft-playing-off-the-ball liability he'd be. And he played with more toughness and aggression than he had shown before he went out. He was amazing.
The game was amazing.
This team is amazing.

Exactly this. Imagine where we'd have been if Marshall had fouled out. We'd have had no chance at the win.

He's my MOTM for sure.

flyingdutchdevil
02-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Exactly this. Imagine where we'd have been if Marshall had fouled out. We'd have had no chance at the win.

He's my MOTM for sure.

Without any of the five second half starters, we lose this game, plain and simple. Each player played extremely well. Any five are legitimate choices for MOTM

mgtr
02-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Tough choice! I closed my eyes and voted for Ingram, but hard to say that in doing that I voted against anybody. Shocked that DT has only 6 votes.

GGLC
02-18-2016, 10:42 AM
Without any of the five second half starters, we lose this game, plain and simple. Each player played extremely well. Any five are legitimate choices for MOTM

Definitely agree with that.

jv001
02-18-2016, 10:48 AM
I voted for Brandon but would be satisfied if anyone of our five winded players win the MOTM vote. GoDuke!