PDA

View Full Version : DBR Pickup games?

FerryFor50
02-17-2016, 01:59 PM
So I've noticed several people on the forums reference playing ball still. Anyone interested in starting a semi-regular pickup basketball game somewhere local to Raleigh-Durham between DBR members? :)

kAzE
02-17-2016, 02:17 PM
I'd be 100% in, but unfortunately, I now live in Wisconsin :(

Hoping to save up some money to go to the Coach K Academy one day though . . .

pamtar
02-17-2016, 02:20 PM
I'm totally down. I just moved to chapel hill and have been trying to find somewhere to play. Everything is either super early AM or only one day a week after 5pm. Let me know time and place and I'm there!

FerryFor50
02-17-2016, 02:21 PM
I'm totally down. I just moved to chapel hill and have been trying to find somewhere to play. Everything is either super early AM or only one day a week after 5pm. Let me know time and place and I'm there!

Yea, I don't do early mornings. :-P

After 5PM could work, or somewhere on weekends.

Any preference to indoor vs. outdoor? Does it matter?

devildeac
02-17-2016, 02:22 PM
So I've noticed several people on the forums reference playing ball still. Anyone interested in starting a semi-regular pickup basketball game somewhere local to Raleigh-Durham between DBR members? :)

That's probably the only way I could play now :o :rolleyes: .

luburch
02-17-2016, 02:26 PM
I'd be 100% in, but unfortunately, I now live in Wisconsin :(

Hoping to save up some money to go to the Coach K Academy one day though . . .

This applies to me as well, except change Wisconsin to Indiana :(

allenmurray
02-17-2016, 02:38 PM

Will there be both a cardiologist and an orthopedist available? Might not be a bad idea to have a psychiatrist as well.

devildeac
02-17-2016, 02:42 PM
Will there be both a cardiologist and an orthopedist available? Might not be a bad idea to have a psychiatrist as well.

I can bring our office AED...

And a cooler...

FerryFor50
02-17-2016, 02:44 PM
I can bring our office AED...

And a cooler...

I guess I should have made this "pickup shuffleboard games."

left_hook_lacey
02-17-2016, 02:44 PM
I'd be down. I'm not all that local so I wouldn't make it every time, but I go to the triangle quite a bit. Full disclosure, I'm 37, out of shape, and have lost a step or.....well all of them. I've lost all steps. But I can hit a flat-footed set shot like nobody's business.:cool:

Lid
02-17-2016, 02:47 PM
I have a much better half who would be interested - if it's ok to be over 40 and also missing some of the aforementioned steps.

devildeac
02-17-2016, 02:49 PM
I guess I should have made this "pickup board games."

Even better...

:o

FerryFor50
02-17-2016, 02:49 PM
I have a much better half who would be interested - if it's ok to be over 40 and also missing some of the aforementioned steps.

Who isn't missing a step these days?

I'd imagine the average age would be mid-30s or so. And ideally it would be all for fun, with a chance to connect faces to screen names. :)

Kedsy
02-17-2016, 03:07 PM

If you take it on the road to Philadelphia, I'm in. Durham might be a bit of a commute, though.

FerryFor50
02-17-2016, 03:08 PM
If you take it on the road to Philadelphia, I'm in. Durham might be a bit of a commute, though.

Well I'm sure you get down here now and then, right? ;)

Kedsy
02-17-2016, 03:22 PM
Well I'm sure you get down here now and then, right? ;)

If I'm there and you're playing, I'm in.

FerryFor50
02-17-2016, 03:29 PM
If I'm there and you're playing, I'm in.

Sounds great. Just don't start spouting off your pesky facts and stats at me when we're playing. :p

CDu
02-17-2016, 03:34 PM
As a Durhamite, I'd be up for it too. Though my availability is somewhat constrained by my 17-month old son (not quite ready to play himself yet).

ricks68
02-17-2016, 03:55 PM
I can supply the beer if someone would come to AVL to pick it up.:) Also, they could pick me up, too, but that would then raise the average age to somewhere in the 50's!:p

ricks

FerryFor50
02-17-2016, 03:56 PM
I can supply the beer if someone would come to AVL to pick it up.:) Also, they could pick me up, too, but that would then raise the average age to somewhere in the 50's!:p

ricks

Just to be clear, there's no age limit. But we might make you sign a waiver. ;)

left_hook_lacey
02-17-2016, 04:03 PM
I'm getting a little excited to think this might be actually happening. I've been looking for a good group my age to run with every once in a while. I used to play all the time, and could eat and drink whatever I wanted as a result. After moving into the professional side of my industry about 10 years ago, let's just say my age and metabolism have decided to play catch up. I haven't played a serious game in years and this would be a good habit to get back into. I need to move more. The only options where I live are a men's rec league (but those are usually lower 20 somethings) or a league at the local Y(but they haven't had one lately because of lack of participation for my age group).

uh_no
02-17-2016, 04:06 PM
Sounds great. Just don't start spouting off your pesky facts and stats at me when we're playing. :p

I'd keep tempo free and adjusted stats for everyone on DBR, meanwhile telling everyone on the winning team why they actually played a terrible game :D

Dev11
02-17-2016, 04:11 PM
If I lived in the triangle, I'd come for heckling purposes. I'm terrible at basketball.

flyingdutchdevil
02-17-2016, 04:15 PM
Love pick up. In Durham from time to time. Count me kinda in.

dukeENG2003
02-17-2016, 04:47 PM
I'm in. I have a regular game that I typically play in in the mornings, but would love some variety. I'm in Cary. Just a suggestion, we use a free poll website called doodle.com to set a location and time for our games a lot of times and it works pretty well. Easy to set up, people don't have to sign in or anything to use it.

NYBri
02-17-2016, 04:50 PM
Video! We need to see video of these matches!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-17-2016, 04:54 PM
You guys (and girls) are lucky I am out in Asheville. I would rain threes down on you like there was no tomorrow.

I mean, like, until my knees gave out. Which would be maybe two games.

Pghdukie
02-17-2016, 06:12 PM
Cinder block and minutes conversation will start shortly ! Some of us already have blocks for knees !

wilson
02-17-2016, 06:22 PM
I guess I should have made this "pickup board games."

Even better...

:oLet me know when Scrabble gets going. ;)

wilson
02-17-2016, 06:23 PM
I'd keep tempo free and adjusted stats for everyone on DBR, meanwhile telling everyone on the winning team why they actually played a terrible game :DAs a stand-in for my general level of basketball skill, I'm sending a few cinder blocks.

uh_no
02-17-2016, 06:40 PM
As a stand-in for my general level of basketball skill, I'm sending a few cinder blocks.

keep it up, and you'll be uh_no player of the year.

ricks68
02-17-2016, 06:42 PM
Video! We need to see video of these matches!

Maybe we could get Marshall to call it through DukeBluePlanet.

ricks

Dukehky
02-17-2016, 08:03 PM
I'm 27, in phenomenal shape, and was technically a Duke basketball player, and live in the Triangle (NCAA clearinghouse for women's basketball team). Let's rock.

That sounded a lot like an old school AIM chatroom line. a/s/l?

FerryFor50
02-17-2016, 08:21 PM
I'm 27, in phenomenal shape, and was technically a Duke basketball player, and live in the Triangle (NCAA clearinghouse for women's basketball team). Let's rock.

Ok. This guy's on my team. :cool:

weezie
02-17-2016, 08:27 PM
I could pound you guys but since I is a lady I'll referee.

Slicking back my hair in honor of Roger.

devildeac
02-17-2016, 11:21 PM
Ok. This guy's on my team. :cool:

And your team already has 6 fouls.:p

pamtar
02-17-2016, 11:31 PM
Yea, I don't do early mornings. :-P

After 5PM could work, or somewhere on weekends.

Any preference to indoor vs. outdoor? Does it matter?

Indoor would be preferable. I'll call around and see if there are any open gyms in the area. Let's try to keep this front page. This is definitely a high-vis evening but you never know. I think 3 on 3 would be a good start.

coachbob
02-17-2016, 11:48 PM
Don't really post much. Been reading for many years. I'm in the 50+ club, but still play. I live in Durham and would love to join in. I might even be able to arrange a gym from time to time. Go Duke!

FerryFor50
02-17-2016, 11:53 PM
Don't really post much. Been reading for many years. I'm in the 50+ club, but still play. I live in Durham and would love to join in. I might even be able to arrange a gym from time to time. Go Duke!

Sounds great!

If we want to start this soon, it'd have to be indoor. But March/April, we can definitely take the show outside!

weezie
02-18-2016, 09:27 AM
Sounds great!

If we want to start this soon, it'd have to be indoor. But March/April, we can definitely take the show outside!

That sounds like a barbecue party to me!
Please leave the old short shorts at home though men. I'll be calling unseemly conduct if you don't.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-18-2016, 09:38 AM

Well, if you were "technically a Duke basketball player" then you probably get all the calls, so I want to be on your team too. Also, it blows my mind that there might be something considered "old school" chat rooms. Sheesh, I'm getting old.

nocilla
02-18-2016, 11:54 AM
I don't know how often I could be available with 4 kids and it being a 30+minute drive to Durham but I am intrigued at the thought of it.

Of course short, balding guards that can't jump anymore probably aren't in high demand anyway.

rab79
02-18-2016, 12:24 PM
Coachbob's reply upthread has inspired me to chime in. I am also a long-time reader of DBR, in the 50+ crowd, and still play pick-up 3 days a week. I'm only 30 minutes away from Durham so I would be interested in participating as well.

fuse
02-18-2016, 06:36 PM
Lousy player and out of shape with interest :-)

BoiseDevil
02-18-2016, 08:23 PM
I'll fly in from Idaho.

A few facts:

- Fuqua 2000 grad so yeah I'm mid-forties
- I did make this years K Academy all-star team (Kaze: it's worth every penny)
- coach K gave me a mild compliment (a teammate said he'd been there 13 times and never seen that before)
- I did this through pure fitness & aggression as I have 0 athleticism
- Grayson and Amile are worthy of unlimited praise as awesome human beings
- I refuse to guard anyone 30 or younger!

BoiseDevil

FerryFor50
02-18-2016, 08:31 PM
My, my. This is generating a good amount of interest!

If you have interest, please shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll start a distribution list.

FerryFor50
02-22-2016, 02:52 PM
Bumping to top. Already have a few people PMing with interest. Let's keep it up!

FerryFor50
04-18-2016, 09:49 AM
Just so everyone is aware, I have not forgotten about this. Will be sending emails out in the next week or two, now that weather has been consistently good (unless of course we end up indoors).

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Bless your hearts! If you're selling tickets, I'll take a whole season pass!!!
Love, Ima

Skitzle
04-18-2016, 11:07 AM
Excited to hear about how good FerryFor50 is playing in pickup so we can make sure to add the info into this years minutes prediction thread

FerryFor50
04-18-2016, 11:12 AM
Excited to hear about how good FerryFor50 is playing in pickup so we can make sure to add the info into this years minutes prediction thread

I'm like Nick Horvath - excellent in summer leagues, but starved for regular season minutes.

devildeac
04-18-2016, 11:24 AM

I'm like Nick Horvath - excellent in summer leagues, but starved for regular season minutes.

I wouldn't be too concerned about this as his minutes will be limited by foul trouble as he's starting off the "games" with 3 already. :p

gocanes0506
04-18-2016, 02:23 PM
Too bad I'm in Atlanta. Anyone in the ATL want to meet up?

Atldukie79
04-18-2016, 09:29 PM

Played noon-time basketball at Dunwoody Baptist Church in Atlanta for 25 years...and then the knee surgeries...ah, the memories. I believe that game still happens.

Enjoy hoops while you can. As someone famously said, be kind to your knees, you will miss them when they are gone...so true.

Newton_14
04-18-2016, 09:46 PM
Played noon-time basketball at Dunwoody Baptist Church in Atlanta for 25 years...and then the knee surgeries...ah, the memories. I believe that game still happens.

Enjoy hoops while you can. As someone famously said, be kind to your knees, you will miss them when they are gone...so true.
I feel your pain. Literally. You are lucky. My knees went far too soon. I was forced into retirement from hoops at 34 and softball at 37... It sucked... Still miss them both

-jk
04-18-2016, 09:50 PM
Try biking! My knees went in my 20's... But I can bike 20, 30, 50 miles in a day and not hurt (so long as it's warm enough).

Cherish your knees while you've got 'em!

-jk

Edouble
04-18-2016, 09:56 PM

Anytime. Keep it ITP.

jv001
04-19-2016, 07:32 AM
Try biking! My knees went in my 20's... But I can bike 20, 30, 50 miles in a day and not hurt (so long as it's warm enough).

-jk

Amen, I never in a million years thought that I would have a knee replacement, but on September 30, 2015 I had my right knee replaced. The new knee is really good to continue playing golf but not for other sports. Cherish you knees is correct. GoDuke!

devil84
04-19-2016, 10:01 AM

-jk

And cherish your back and hips, too. My knees are fine, hips and lower back, not so much.

Cycling is awesome. Twenty to fifty miles is a great workout that doesn't feel like a workout. It feels like fun, like flying. I can cycle for hours, but my body feels beat up after 30-45 minutes of running.

Not to mention that lots of breweries organize group rides. Leave from the brewery with a group of really nice people, ride for several hours, then socialize and re-hydrate with the brewery's products (in moderation, of course)...that's a great way to spend some time.

-jk, if you've got a road bike, bring it down on a trip into the Triangle. We'll go for a spin. Maybe we'll need a DBR cycling group thread?

-jk
04-19-2016, 10:27 AM
And cherish your back and hips, too. My knees are fine, hips and lower back, not so much.

Cycling is awesome. Twenty to fifty miles is a great workout that doesn't feel like a workout. It feels like fun, like flying. I can cycle for hours, but my body feels beat up after 30-45 minutes of running.

Not to mention that lots of breweries organize group rides. Leave from the brewery with a group of really nice people, ride for several hours, then socialize and re-hydrate with the brewery's products (in moderation, of course)...that's a great way to spend some time.

-jk, if you've got a road bike, bring it down on a trip into the Triangle. We'll go for a spin. Maybe we'll need a DBR cycling group thread?

I don't have a road bike; I much prefer dodging trees to cars. Trees are more predictable!

Not that I don't ride my mountain bike on the road now and again, but I can't hang with the roadies.

-jk

devil84
04-19-2016, 11:13 AM
I don't have a road bike; I much prefer dodging trees to cars. Trees are more predictable!

Not that I don't ride my mountain bike on the road now and again, but I can't hang with the roadies.

-jk

Aw, darn. Was hoping you were a roadie. Most mountain bike riders like hills...not me. I hear ya on trees being far more predictable than cars! There are two trails around here that accommodate both roadies and mountain bikes, the American Tobacco Trail and the Neuse River trail. I've not tried the Neuse (want to), and the ATT is really, really nice. Not a lot of hills, but nice, wide trails that work for nearly all kinds of bikes.

Atldukie79
04-19-2016, 11:38 AM

-jk

I discovered the joys of road bikes and ride 20-30 miles at a time...rails to trails paths are the best (Silver Comet in Atlanta). Dodging cars in Atlanta is iffy. Good for the knees, not so good for the under-carriage :)

BandAlum83
04-19-2016, 12:01 PM
I discovered the joys of road bikes and ride 20-30 miles at a time...rails to trails paths are the best (Silver Comet in Atlanta). Dodging cars in Atlanta is iffy. Good for the knees, not so good for the under-carriage :)

The Beltline in Atlanta is great for leisurely rides through some great neighborhoods and a stop in Piedmont Park.

Edouble
04-19-2016, 12:47 PM
The Beltline in Atlanta is great for leisurely rides through some great neighborhoods and a stop in Piedmont Park.

Funny, my neighborhood didn't used to be great...

The Beltline is great for magically increasing my cost of living. :mad:

BandAlum83
04-19-2016, 12:51 PM
Funny, my neighborhood didn't used to be great...

The Beltline is great for magically increasing my cost of living. :mad:

Hmm, be happy if you own, not so much if you rent!

I do believe that it is a significantly positive contribution to quality of life for in-town living.

And I do enjoy your neighborhood. Carroll Street Cafe is a gem!

mcwp98
04-19-2016, 01:20 PM
Long-time lurker here.

Just moved away from Atlanta. Lot's of great development going on; the city is changing so rapidly. They just really need to address public transportation - I can't imagine the gridlock once all the current/planned development projects finish and people move in.

Anyway, in the spirit of this thread, I'd love to join if there is a group that wants to play pick-up in NYC. It is impossibly nice outside right now.

NSDukeFan
04-19-2016, 04:36 PM

I feel your pain. Literally. You are lucky. My knees went far too soon. I was forced into retirement from hoops at 34 and softball at 37... It sucked... Still miss them both

-jk

Amen, I never in a million years thought that I would have a knee replacement, but on September 30, 2015 I had my right knee replaced. The new knee is really good to continue playing golf but not for other sports. Cherish you knees is correct. GoDuke!

To further derail this thread, since I value many people 's opinions on this board, I am seeking knee advice. I have torn the meniscus on my knee twice, but no ligaments and have osteoarthritis of that right knee. I contemplated retirement from basketball at 42 after last season ended, and have at least semi-retired from soccer, but my knees have felt better the last year (maybe from consistently training my legs, once or twice a week?). I got through another season mostly pain free this year, though may take a month or two off again now. I am also debating training for a marathon. For those who have had knees replaced, or knee issues, if you were in my situation, would you keep playing sports while you could or stop and try to do less impacting sports?
Thanks

devildeac
04-19-2016, 05:10 PM
To further derail this thread, since I value many people 's opinions on this board, I am seeking knee advice. I have torn the meniscus on my knee twice, but no ligaments and have osteoarthritis of that right knee. I contemplated retirement from basketball at 42 after last season ended, and have at least semi-retired from soccer, but my knees have felt better the last year (maybe from consistently training my legs, once or twice a week?). I got through another season mostly pain free this year, though may take a month or two off again now. I am also debating training for a marathon. For those who have had knees replaced, or knee issues, if you were in my situation, would you keep playing sports while you could or stop and try to do less impacting sports?
Thanks

I am not billy, an orthopaedic (see what I did there ;)) surgeon who posts here occasionally, but from my experience of one (my wife), she had a partial meniscectomy 6.5 years ago (along with a little "arthritis" debridement intraop) and gave up running at that time. She is still able to average 60 minutes/day walking vigorously, in addition to a 60 minute low impact aerobics class weekly and a couple ballroom dance classes/lessons/practice sessions each week and only has occasional "twinges" and no recurrent swelling or periods of limited activity. She has a residual deficit of about 10-15 degrees of flexion in that knee compared to her "good" knee. And I have no plans of any kind to trade her in on a younger/newer model ;) .

elvis14
04-19-2016, 05:49 PM
And I have no plans of any kind to trade her in on a younger/newer model ;) .

That's probably the smartest thing I've ever seen you post on DBR...and you post ALOT! :)

devildeac
04-19-2016, 06:14 PM
That's probably the smartest thing I've ever seen you post on DBR...and you post ALOT! :)

I rarely have been accused of intelligent posting (if ever) :o .

Thank you. Thank you very much. (typed in my best Elvis impersonation)

Devilwin
04-19-2016, 06:53 PM
Past my playing days, but can still shoot like nobody's business. Always win games of "horse" with my son and his buds. He can take my place, 6'2", 255 pounds and a good three point shooter..

Atldukie79
04-19-2016, 08:46 PM
If I had a "do over", would I have stopped playing hoops 3 times a week at age 45 instead of 55?

After meniscus surgery on both knees, arthritis, and an ortho surgeon who promised me I would be back for knee replacement in 7 years...now I would say I should have stopped sooner....BUT, there is no way I would have listened to that advice back in the day. And I really enjoyed it.

Older me says stop sooner...Younger me says, hoop it up!

Now I redirect to doubles tennis, biking and hiking.

luburch
04-20-2016, 07:27 AM
Thanks

I tore my ACL and had surgery on it five years ago and just had surgery on a torn meniscus (that occurred when I was training for a half-marathon) in December. Training for a marathon, unless you're doing low mileage and high cross training would likely be quite strenuous on your knees. I've found that other sports (basketball and soccer primarily) don't seem to bother mine as much. Either way I would just go by how you feel. If something starts to hurt, back off, ice and take some rest. No need to play through and injury at this stage. Hope that helps.

NSDukeFan
04-20-2016, 12:54 PM
If I had a "do over", would I have stopped playing hoops 3 times a week at age 45 instead of 55?

After meniscus surgery on both knees, arthritis, and an ortho surgeon who promised me I would be back for knee replacement in 7 years...now I would say I should have stopped sooner...BUT, there is no way I would have listened to that advice back in the day. And I really enjoyed it.

Older me says stop sooner...Younger me says, hoop it up!

Now I redirect to doubles tennis, biking and hiking.

I tore my ACL and had surgery on it five years ago and just had surgery on a torn meniscus (that occurred when I was training for a half-marathon) in December. Training for a marathon, unless you're doing low mileage and high cross training would likely be quite strenuous on your knees. I've found that other sports (basketball and soccer primarily) don't seem to bother mine as much. Either way I would just go by how you feel. If something starts to hurt, back off, ice and take some rest. No need to play through and injury at this stage. Hope that helps.

Thanks for your thoughts. Tough decisions between known benefits now vs. unknown harm in the future.

left_hook_lacey
04-20-2016, 02:24 PM
I may be jumping the gun here, but does anyone have a good place in mind to play these games?

luburch
04-20-2016, 02:28 PM
I may be jumping the gun here, but does anyone have a good place in mind to play these games?

Cameron Indoor

Newton_14
04-21-2016, 10:46 PM
Thanks
I would kill to play again. My advice is to play until you just cant do it anymore. I tore my meniscus twice. First at 23. Had surgery and felt fine playing softball heavily on travel teams for 6 more seasons before blowing my throwing shoulder out. Played basketball during the winters while also working out and training for softball each season. Continued to play softball on league teams during the week until 37. Playing hoops made it swell up and hurt so had to stop that at 34. Tore the meniscus again at 37. Had surgery again. Bad decision. Hurt worse after that surgery than it did prior. Went in for a special surgery to put cadaver cartiliage in. They abandoned that surgery shortly after opening me up as they found major cartiliage damage on the inside of my knee and the arthritis coverage had doubled between the 2nd meniscus surgery 5 months prior to the attempted final surgery along with other issues. Thus ended my sports career other than golf. Been in the pain management clinic every since.

So play play play until you just cant do it anymore. If you are like me, you wont regret it. Looking back I wish I had not had the 2nd surgery and tried playing thru the pain until I just couldn't. I think I could have had 2 to 3 more years in that scenario and been no worse off than I am now honestly.

My two cents. your call. Its your body.

FerryFor50
04-22-2016, 06:45 AM

A few people have pm'd about indoor places. I know of a ton of outdoor places that are rarely in use, too.

Honestly, if after 5 or on weekends and outdoors, we should try rtp. Practically deserted.

There are also pay options where we can pool our $$.

Or, if someone has a duke hookup, maybe a gym on campus? ;)

BandAlum83
04-23-2016, 05:35 PM
Atlanta belt line crazy crowded today. I think I'll stick to weekdays.

Keep weekends for silver comet.

FerryFor50
05-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Ok, we're getting closer to the inaugural game. (yea, I'm slow)

I compiled a list of people who expressed interest here. All I need are email addresses for a few of them (noted below).

If anyone else is interested, let me know!

Looking to play either this weekend or next. If that doesn't work, we can figure it out.

Expressed interest, have emails:
coachbob
rab79
nocilla
GLTBD

Expressed interest, no email addresses/phone numbers:
CDu
flyingdutchdevil
dukeENG2003
Dukehky
pamtar
left_hook_lacey

Someone mentioned using doodle.com to organize. We could also use google docs. Will start looking into it.

Maybe the mods can sticky this thread? :)

Edouble
05-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Ok, we're getting closer to the inaugural game. (yea, I'm slow)

I compiled a list of people who expressed interest here. All I need are email addresses for a few of them (noted below).

If anyone else is interested, let me know!

Looking to play either this weekend or next. If that doesn't work, we can figure it out.

Expressed interest, have emails:
coachbob
rab79
nocilla
GLTBD

Expressed interest, no email addresses/phone numbers:
CDu
flyingdutchdevil
dukeENG2003
Dukehky
pamtar
left_hook_lacey

Someone mentioned using doodle.com to organize. We could also use google docs. Will start looking into it.

Maybe the mods can sticky this thread? :)

Will the game be streamed for those not in Durham?

dchen09
05-03-2016, 06:17 PM
A few people have pm'd about indoor places. I know of a ton of outdoor places that are rarely in use, too.

Honestly, if after 5 or on weekends and outdoors, we should try rtp. Practically deserted.

There are also pay options where we can pool our $$.

Or, if someone has a duke hookup, maybe a gym on campus? ;)

For alums, you can get a free alumni card that lets you in the Duke gyms for free 5 times a year.

Edit: https://alumni.duke.edu/benefits/alumni-benefits