PDA

View Full Version : Checking in on our favorite Dukies coaching elsewhere

JasonEvans
02-16-2016, 12:45 PM
Wojo - Marquette has had an OK season, but nothing special. They are 16-10, but only 5-8 in the Big East and their RPI is 114. They've got some decent wins over Wisconsin and Providence and their only bad loss is to DePaul (146 in the RPI), but they would have to get insanely hot to make the dance. Their remaining games are (Opponent RPI in parenthesis): Depaul (146), Creighton (83), Villanova (3), Georgetown 79), and Butler (64). I think NIT seems likely.

Collins - CC can still pull off the impossible. He can still lead NWestern to the NCAA tourney for the first time in history, but it is a real longshot. Right now, NW is 17-9 (5-8 in B!g Ten) with an RPI of 105. They really don't have any bad losses (Penn St and Ohio St are the worst teams they have lost to), but they don't have any good wins. The best team they have beaten is Wisconsin. After that, it is probably Va Tech. That says something about their resume. Still, I think they have a shot but it takes a cleam sweep of the following games: @Purdue (20), @Michigan (51), Rutgers (251, what are they doing in a major conference?!?!?!), Penn St (117), and Nebraska (150). Obviously, Purdue is the mountain they need to climb. Even if they sweep those 5 games, they likely need to win at least 1 game in the B!G tourney. The truth is that the moment they lost Vic Law, their season was probably toast. He seemed primed to have a big soph campaign. Oh well... I'm sure Collins is going to get the Wildcats there... some day. They're almost certainly headed to the NIT.

Hurley - The Sun Devils have an RPI of 80, but are another longshot to make to NCAA tourney. Their record is 14-12 and they are just 4-9 in the Pac whatever. They've got nice wins over Texas A&M (24) and USC (22), but they have a really bad loss from back in November to Sacramento St (261). Regardless, with just a 4-9 conference record, even if they win out it will be hard for them to make the dance. They close with: @Az (25), @Utah (17), @Colorado (27), and then Stanford (73), and Cal (23) at home. The only game they will be favored in is the Stanford one. Hurley will have to wait until season two to make the Dance... and we should all be rooting for him to pull off a big recruiting coup by getting Thon Maker!

JD - I love Johnny, but the Cardinal are just 11-11 this season (RPI #73) and just 5-7 in the Pac whatever. Unlike the other Dukies, he is not in a new job, Johnny has been steering the ship in Stanford for 8 seasons now and they have only made the big dance one time. Yikes! He got an undisclosed contract extension after the wonderful run Stanford had to the Sweet 16 in 2014 and they did win the NIT last season ("we're #69!!!) but one has to wonder if this season is the end of the road for Johnny in Stanford. They do close with largely winnable games that could give him a boost: @ Wash St (175), @ Wash (60), USC (22), UCLA (63), @Az St (80), @ Az (25). Plus, the recruiting has been pretty bad lately. Stanford only has 1 recruit signed for 2016, 3-star center Trevor Stanback, the 12th best player in the state of California. The future does not look good for JD... that's just the reality at the moment.

-Jason "did I miss anything?" Evans

FerryFor50
02-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Wojo - Marquette has had an OK season, but nothing special. They are 16-10, but only 5-8 in the Big East and their RPI is 114. They've got some decent wins over Wisconsin and Providence and their only bad loss is to DePaul (146 in the RPI), but they would have to get insanely hot to make the dance. Their remaining games are (Opponent RPI in parenthesis): Depaul (146), Creighton (83), Villanova (3), Georgetown 79), and Butler (64). I think NIT seems likely.

Collins - CC can still pull off the impossible. He can still lead NWestern to the NCAA tourney for the first time in history, but it is a real longshot. Right now, NW is 17-9 (5-8 in B!g Ten) with an RPI of 105. They really don't have any bad losses (Penn St and Ohio St are the worst teams they have lost to), but they don't have any good wins. The best team they have beaten is Wisconsin. After that, it is probably Va Tech. That says something about their resume. Still, I think they have a shot but it takes a cleam sweep of the following games: @Purdue (20), @Michigan (51), Rutgers (251, what are they doing in a major conference?!?!?!), Penn St (117), and Nebraska (150). Obviously, Purdue is the mountain they need to climb. Even if they sweep those 5 games, they likely need to win at least 1 game in the B!G tourney. The truth is that the moment they lost Vic Law, their season was probably toast. He seemed primed to have a big soph campaign. Oh well... I'm sure Collins is going to get the Wildcats there... some day. They're almost certainly headed to the NIT.

Hurley - The Sun Devils have an RPI of 80, but are another longshot to make to NCAA tourney. Their record is 14-12 and they are just 4-9 in the Pac whatever. They've got nice wins over Texas A&M (24) and USC (22), but they have a really bad loss from back in November to Sacramento St (261). Regardless, with just a 4-9 conference record, even if they win out it will be hard for them to make the dance. They close with: @Az (25), @Utah (17), @Colorado (27), and then Stanford (73), and Cal (23) at home. The only game they will be favored in is the Stanford one. Hurley will have to wait until season two to make the Dance... and we should all be rooting for him to pull off a big recruiting coup by getting Thon Maker!

JD - I love Johnny, but the Cardinal are just 11-11 this season (RPI #73) and just 5-7 in the Pac whatever. Unlike the other Dukies, he is not in a new job, Johnny has been steering the ship in Stanford for 8 seasons now and they have only made the big dance one time. Yikes! He got an undisclosed contract extension after the wonderful run Stanford had to the Sweet 16 in 2014 and they did win the NIT last season ("we're #69!!!) but one has to wonder if this season is the end of the road for Johnny in Stanford. They do close with largely winnable games that could give him a boost: @ Wash St (175), @ Wash (60), USC (22), UCLA (63), @Az St (80), @ Az (25). Plus, the recruiting has been pretty bad lately. Stanford only has 1 recruit signed for 2016, 3-star center Trevor Stanback, the 12th best player in the state of California. The future does not look good for JD... that's just the reality at the moment.

Is this strictly coaches that have played for K?

If not, you missed Mike Brey. If so, you missed Quinn Snyder.

As for Wojo, I worry a little about his situation. Henry Ellenson is no lock to stick around another year. If he leaves, that cupboard might be pretty bare.

JasonEvans
02-16-2016, 12:57 PM
Is this strictly coaches that have played for K?

If not, you missed Mike Brey. If so, you missed Quinn Snyder.

As for Wojo, I worry a little about his situation. Henry Ellenson is no lock to stick around another year. If he leaves, that cupboard might be pretty bare.

Brey didn't play at Duke. Plus, we all know how Notre Dame is doing this year. Quin is in the NBA and I was focused on college guys and their NCAA tourney chances. Still, Quin is having a nice year in Utah with them in the #8 spot in the tough Western Conference. He's not the front-runner, but he may get some votes for NBA coach of the year. Folks did not expect this young Utah roster to be quite this good, I suspect.

I'm not worried about Wojo. Yes, he will likely lose Ellenson, but he's laying a nice foundation there. He has 2 top 100 recruits coming in and his entire roster (other than Ellenson) will return. They have 1 senior and he has only played 10 minutes all season. Marquette will likely be a trendy pick to challenge the top of the Big East next season.

-Jason "I feel like Wojo and Hurley are both in really good situations... less sure about Collins because of NWestern's lousy history" Evans

summerwind03
02-16-2016, 01:11 PM
Tommy Amaker.

CY_devil
02-16-2016, 01:13 PM
Jason - how could you forget about Capel??? :p

Capel - had a great season so far with a win percentage of 100! This comes on the heels of impressive recruiting coups in the last few years. The future does look great for Capel...

Kedsy
02-16-2016, 01:16 PM

Does Tommy Amaker not count, for some reason? I guess Harvard isn't doing very well this season.

But I have to say I get a kick out of the fact that K and his mentees cover Duke, Harvard, Stanford, Northwestern and Notre Dame. I don't think it's a coincidence that high-profile, top academic schools go for a Duke connection.

burnspbesq
02-16-2016, 01:35 PM
Kevin Cassese, Taylor Wray, Mike Murphy, Kristen Waagbo.

MCFinARL
02-16-2016, 09:46 PM
There was an interesting John Feinstein column about Northwestern and Coach Collins in the Washington Post yesterday. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/at-northwestern-ncaa-tournament-hopes-havent-had-much-of-a-shot/2016/02/14/fd07d2b2-d0e0-11e5-b2bc-988409ee911b_story.html