PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Virginia (Feb 13, 2016)

JBDuke
02-13-2016, 06:38 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their win over Virginia?

mapei
02-13-2016, 06:40 PM
Brandon. Set us up early so we could win it late. Amazing run by him.

Bob Green
02-13-2016, 06:44 PM
Brandon Ingram!

duke4ever19
02-13-2016, 06:46 PM
No contest.

The man of the match is the guy who gets the buzzer beater when we are down 1.

I would have voted for Grayson if he only had 4 points in the game and 4 turnovers and then hit that.

kAzE
02-13-2016, 06:50 PM
Wow . . . how is Grayson not KILLING this vote? Ingram had a big run, but he only scored 25 points on 22 shots with 4 turnovers. TWENTY TWO SHOTS. Grayson, Matt and Marshall took 20 shots combined and had 34 points on 20 shots.

Grayson had 15 points, 7 boards, 7 assists, 2 steals, with 1 turnover, carried us the entire last 10 minutes and hit the game winner. He should get the MOTM by a landslide. Come on, DBR.

Acymetric
02-13-2016, 06:59 PM
Wow . . . how is Grayson not KILLING this vote? Ingram had a big run, but he only scored 25 points on 22 shots with 4 turnovers. TWENTY TWO SHOTS.

Grayson had 15 points, 7 boards, 7 assists with 1 turnover, carried us the entire last 10 minutes and hit the game winner. He should get the MOTM by a landslide. Come on, DBR.

Yeah, I get wanting to vote for the guy with the most points but you've got to give it to the guy who hits one of the biggest shots in years.

Was Sean Dockery man of the match against VT?

kAzE
02-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I get wanting to vote for the guy with the most points but you've got to give it to the guy who hits one of the biggest shots in years.

Was Sean Dockery man of the match against VT?

Thanks for backing me up, but even that's not even the same at all . . Grayson was actually responsible for more points than Brandon. 7 assists!

dukejim1
02-13-2016, 07:05 PM
Wow . . . how is Grayson not KILLING this vote? Ingram had a big run, but he only scored 25 points on 22 shots with 4 turnovers. TWENTY TWO SHOTS.

Grayson had 15 points, 7 boards, 7 assists with 1 turnover, carried us the entire last 10 minutes and hit the game winner. He should get the MOTM by a landslide. Come on, DBR.

Couldn't vote because team is not an option. Matt great defense and
3's. Derryck good defense and a very solid floor game. Marshall did a great job rebounding.
Brandon was the middle third of the game offense and had some great rebounds down the stretch.
Grayson was called on down the stretch and produced just enough. Made some good decisions on the first half when the drives weren't there. Coach was pretty good as well.

CameronBlue
02-13-2016, 07:05 PM
I'm participating in this conversation for my own benefit. It's important that I prove to myself that I'm not losing my mind though I may be borderline at times.

Brandon Ingram was the MOTM. (Whew, there I feel much better now.)

lotusland
02-13-2016, 07:12 PM
No contest.

The man of the match is the guy who gets the buzzer beater when we are down 1.

I would have voted for Grayson if he only had 4 points in the game and 4 turnovers and then hit that.

Same here. Allen also 7 rebounds, 7 assists and 2 steals and played 40 minutes.

Bob Green
02-13-2016, 07:30 PM
Brandon Ingram kept us from being blown out when the other four players on the court couldn't buy a basket.

kAzE
02-13-2016, 07:33 PM
Brandon Ingram kept us from being blown out when the other four players on the court couldn't buy a basket.

Not trying to belittle Brandon's contribution, but other than a ridiculous stretch where he hit 8 straight shots, he was 2 for 14. We lose this game without that amazing 10 minute stretch, but you can't ignore the fact that he was off for about 75% of the game. He was also not effective in crunch time offensively. Grayson was clearly the man When the game was on the line.

And even forgetting all that, 15, 7, 7 with 2 steals and 1 turnover is just a better stat line than 25, 7, and 1 with no steals or blocks and 4 turnovers.

duke4ever19
02-13-2016, 07:39 PM
This board often reminds me of conversations between so-called analytic and continental philosophers.

CameronBlue
02-13-2016, 07:41 PM
Not trying to belittle Brandon's contribution, but other than a ridiculous stretch where he hit 8 straight shots, he was 2 for 14. He was not effective in crunch time.

It's not your fault, you've been possessed by evil minions sent forth by Bilas.

Don't forget 38 MP, 4 for 9 from three (Grayson dropped an o-fer) and 7 boards. Oh and the shooting streak spanned both halves. That to me is his most vital contribution. Giving the team a boost after halftime to sustain the comeback is of inestimable value.

CameronBlue
02-13-2016, 07:42 PM
This board often reminds me of conversations between so-called analytic and continental philosophers.

Or one schizophrenic in a padded cell.

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-13-2016, 07:43 PM
GRAYSON ALLEN! Please stay four years so we can retire your jersey on your senior night!
Love, Ima

Wander
02-13-2016, 07:44 PM
If Grayson Allen doesn't win this, I officially declare this board NO FUN.

Bob Green
02-13-2016, 07:44 PM
Not trying to belittle Brandon's contribution, but other than a ridiculous stretch where he hit 8 straight shots, he was 2 for 14. We lose this game without that amazing 10 minute stretch, but you can't ignore the fact that he was off for about 75% of the game. He was also not effective in crunch time offensively. Grayson was clearly the man down the stretch.

And even forgetting all that, 15, 7, 7 with 2 steals and 1 turnover is just a better stat line than 25, 7, and 1 with no steals or blocks and 4 turnovers.

I acknowledge and respect your opinion, but that doesn't stop me from disagreeing with you so I agree to disagree.

Newton_14
02-13-2016, 07:47 PM
I know Grayson made the winning shot, but Brandon was my Man Of The Match today! He brought us back from 11 down almost by himself.

Just a huge game from him today. He easily got my vote.

Indoor66
02-13-2016, 07:52 PM
Grayson is THE man on this team.:cool:

kAzE
02-13-2016, 08:00 PM
The vote was 22 for Brandon and 6 for Grayson before I made my case :)

Newton_14
02-13-2016, 08:01 PM

Not trying to belittle Brandon's contribution, but other than a ridiculous stretch where he hit 8 straight shots, he was 2 for 14. We lose this game without that amazing 10 minute stretch, but you can't ignore the fact that he was off for about 75% of the game. He was also not effective in crunch time offensively. Grayson was clearly the man When the game was on the line.

It's not your fault, you've been possessed by evil minions sent forth by Bilas.

Don't forget 38 MP, 4 for 9 from three (Grayson dropped an o-fer) and 7 boards. Oh and the shooting streak spanned both halves. That to me is his most vital contribution. Giving the team a boost after halftime to sustain the comeback is of inestimable value.

If Grayson Allen doesn't win this, I officially declare this board NO FUN.

I acknowledge and respect your opinion, but that doesn't stop me from disagreeing with you so I agree to disagree.

I know Grayson made the winning shot, but Brandon was my Man Of The Match today! He brought us back from 11 down almost by himself.

Just a huge game from him today. He easily got my vote.

Grayson is THE man on this team.:cool:

Isn't it wonderful that we have both of these guys on our team? Two guys that may very well be 2 of the top 5 players in all of College Basketball? :) I mean, otherwise, we could not have debates like this. Maybe they deserve "Co-Men Of The Match" after today.

And on top of that, we have another guy, who despite a quiet day today, can drop 30 on you in any given game, and also plays great defense?? If only we had 1 or 2 more solid supporting role guys of various height's, to allow proper rest for everyone, this team might very well just come out and roll everybody they face...

We are blessed. (Oh, and none of you guys or myself, are wrong in the debate roaring in this thread! We are all correct in my view).

Carry on!

CameronBlue
02-13-2016, 08:05 PM

We are blessed. (Oh, and none of you guys or myself, are wrong in the debate roaring in this thread! We are all correct in my view).

Carry on!

Thank you. Someone finally explained the Duality of Man in terms I can understand.

Wander
02-13-2016, 08:06 PM
This board would vote for Wedge as MVP of the Battle of Yavin because he destroyed more TIE fighters than Luke. Don't do this DBR!

Acymetric
02-13-2016, 08:06 PM
The vote was 22 for Brandon and 6 for Grayson before I made my case :)

Fight the good fight brother!

(I expected a split between the two but did not expect Grayson to get blown out the way be was)

Acymetric
02-13-2016, 08:08 PM
This board would vote for Wedge as MVP of the Battle of Yavin because he destroyed more TIE fighters than Luke. Don't do this DBR!

QFT!

Ggallagher
02-13-2016, 08:09 PM
Grayson - but not without struggling with a pick really hard.

Brandon was just a beast for a while and had to be driving Virginia crazy.

Marshall was strong on the boards and denied Virginia a lot of opportunities with his rebounding.

And if Grayson had hit a few more free throws, then there wouldn't be a need for any heroics.
But on the other hand, if you blow the free throws (and he was bound to be really fatigued), then decide.. "Well, I better doing something heroic..."
Then I have to vote for him.

I hope it keeps being this hard to sort out the outstanding contributions.

FerryFor50
02-13-2016, 08:11 PM
I voted Ingram because he carried Duke when they needed him to. Allen was close, but hitting the game winner is offset by the fact that he missed 4 huge FTs that put them into that position anyway.

Acymetric
02-13-2016, 08:15 PM
I voted Ingram because he carried Duke when they needed him to. Allen was close, but hitting the game winner is offset by the fact that he missed 4 huge FTs that put them into that position anyway.

Ingram 1-3 from the line, Allen 7-11. I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin'.

DukeFanSince1990
02-13-2016, 08:17 PM

That's some rock solid logic. You won me over.

FerryFor50
02-13-2016, 08:17 PM

Ingram didn't miss them down the stretch like Allen. He also didn't get to the line as much, though I think he certainly could have been at the line for a few of his misses.

Particularly the one where he got called for an offensive foul on an incidental hand to Gill's face on an offensive rebound.

CameronBlue
02-13-2016, 08:18 PM

Misleading. Two of Grayson's misses were the front ends of one-and-ones. Not fair to say then he was 7-13 but both those misses were in crunch time.

Acymetric
02-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Ingram didn't miss them down the stretch like Allen. He also didn't get to the line as much, though I think he certainly could have been at the line for a few of his misses.

Particularly the one where he got called for an offensive foul on an incidental hand to Gill's face on an offensive rebound.

Right, Ingram just missed shots in general down the stretch :p

Obviously room to disagree here and both had big games for different reasons, but fun to have a little back and forth after a win!

kAzE
02-13-2016, 08:20 PM

I believe this is the best post I've ever seen on this board.

FerryFor50
02-13-2016, 08:22 PM
Right, Ingram just missed shots in general down the stretch :p

Obviously room to disagree here and both had big games for different reasons, but fun to have a little back and forth after a win!

Ingram did miss shots down the stretch. Everyone did.

Honestly, I'd call it a tie between Allen and Ingram. But I'm projecting my anger at Allen missing FTs. :D

Pghdukie
02-13-2016, 08:32 PM
Ingram did miss shots down the stretch. Everyone did.

Honestly, I'd call it a tie between Allen and Ingram. But I'm projecting my anger at Allen missing FTs. :D

I agree with a tie vote. Great win !

BluDvlsN1
02-13-2016, 09:34 PM
Brandon is a terrific talent and without him, were not in the game.

It"s no secret that I've been on the Grayson train, but not the reason
I voted for him today.

The team was fatigued in general and Grayson in particular, as evidenced
by his late game free throws.

Champions find a way to dig down, today, Grayson did that.

As always it was a team win.

brevity
02-13-2016, 09:57 PM

Wedge fouled out and ran back to the locker room before Luke took the final shot. R2 with the assist, Han with the help side defense.

gep
02-13-2016, 10:56 PM
Offense is one thing... and for the "match", I think Derryck's DEFENSE on Perrantes through the essentially the entire game, to me, was huge. Perrantes was a killer with the 3-point shot the last few games. This game, as far as I know... not even 1 attempt. Can't make a 3-point shot if you never take one:cool:

ncexnyc
02-14-2016, 12:05 AM
No love for Matt?

I guess I shouldn't be that surprised. Tyler never got much love from the fans on this forum either.

elvis14
02-14-2016, 12:11 AM
No love for Matt?

I guess I shouldn't be that surprised. Tyler never got much love from the fans on this forum either.

Matt played great but this is a MOTM thread, not a guy who played really good tonight thread. This thread is about Grayson Allen!

BoiseDevil
02-14-2016, 12:31 AM
Man of the Match

Grayson - when brogdon was guarding Ingram
Brandon - when brogdon was guarding Allen

jv001
02-14-2016, 12:34 AM
Both were huge and both had ups and downs against a terrific Virginia team. Grayson with 15 pts, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 turnover, 2 steals and 7/11 FTs. He also played all 40 minutes(maybe reason for missed FTs). Brandon had 25 pts, 7 rebounds, 1 assists, 4 turnovers. 0 blocks, 0 steals, 1-3 FTs. He played 38 minutes.

Looks like pretty even to me. I went with Grayson for his comeback winner after missing the FTs. GoDuke!

DukieInKansas
02-14-2016, 01:46 AM
I was all for Brandon until the last shot - Grayson got my vote for the winning shot. (I didn't deduct points for his getting away with a travel - didn't add them either. :D )

CameronBornAndBred
02-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Exactly! And while Grayson atoned for his foul line sins when the game was on the line...he committed those sins that needed atoning. ;)

Brandon got my vote, he kept us alive when nobody else was in the game.

fidel
02-14-2016, 08:52 AM
Went with Grayson. Ingram did great things, but Grayson played energizer bunny. Great stat line for both, had to choose one.

And, the other three (MP3, Matt, Derryck) all had great moments as well. This was an all-around pleasure to watch, with both teams working hard.

duke blue brewcrew
02-15-2016, 12:55 PM
I'm late to this party, I was hung up by being heavily involved in my best friend's wedding this past weekend. I finally got a chance to watch the game Sunday afternoon. Ingram was a beast. I know he did a lot of his damage in the first half, but there were moments where he was simply unstoppable. I know Grayson hit the game winner (thanks to the refs not being able to find their whistles), and put up some solid stats, but Ingram gets my vote.

Doria
02-15-2016, 01:03 PM
I actually cast my vote by mistake via the iPad... Anyway, I don't really regret it, as I wanted to vote for our defense and Thornton/Jones came up really big for us. But I can't quibble with anyone voting for Allen or Ingram. I wish there were a team option for this game, though.