PDA

View Full Version : Bilas picks Maryland for the natty

moonpie23
02-12-2016, 10:16 AM
here's his discussion (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14752636)

CDu
02-12-2016, 10:31 AM
It is certainly a reasonable pick. Maryland has very few holes. They have tons of talent inside in Carter and Stone. They have two terrific ballhandlers in Trimble and Sulaimon. They aren't perfect (not a lot of guard depth, not a ton of shooters), but in a field full of imperfections they are just as reasonable a pick as anyone.

Furniture
02-12-2016, 10:41 AM
It is certainly a reasonable pick. Maryland has very few holes. They have tons of talent inside in Carter and Stone. They have two terrific ballhandlers in Trimble and Sulaimon. They aren't perfect (not a lot of guard depth, not a ton of shooters), but in a field full of imperfections they are just as reasonable a pick as anyone.

I also think they are a good pick. Very enjoyable team to watch too.

Indoor66
02-12-2016, 10:48 AM
You take MD and I'll take the field. Let's bet....:p

oldnavy
02-12-2016, 11:14 AM
That's funny, just last week he was saying UNC was the pick....

bluedev_92
02-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Did anyone hear him when he was broadcasting from Allen Field House for a Kansas game recently? He professed on the air that Allen Field house was the best venue in college basketball. It wasn't stated as "it's in the running", it was more of a definite.

I found myself put off by the comment. Didn't feel that he had to go that far, even if he deep down believed it. He could have said that it was at the top of the heap with Cameron, the Palestra, etc... I can't imagine a former Kansas player coming to Cameron & stating that Cameron was a better venue than Allen Field House, even if they believed it!

Just my 2 cents.

budwom
02-12-2016, 11:24 AM
The man is definitely FOS.

I chuckle as we approach the UVA game...(which I concede we could easily lose). Last year
we had to listen (except for those who love the mute button, I heard it afterward) to 38 minutes of
Virginia's Defense Will Strangle You, They are Like a Boa Constrictor, They Take Everything Away...then
Duke scored more points and won. D'oh!

Doria
02-12-2016, 11:40 AM
MD is a very safe pick. I can't believe anyone would credibly dismiss that out of hand. I mean, whom do you pick instead? Sure, MD can--and probably will--lose, but they should be up there with other top picks.

oldnavy
02-12-2016, 11:49 AM
MD is a very safe pick. I can't believe anyone would credibly dismiss that out of hand. I mean, whom do you pick instead? Sure, MD can--and probably will--lose, but they should be up there with other top picks.

They are as good as any of about 15 teams, maybe better than most.

I just find it funny that Jay was saying UNC was the best team in the land when they were voted behind Oklahoma in the polls... he was making the statement in a way that conveyed he thought he was just a tad bit smarter than the AP or Coaches who voted for OK.

Then, UNC drops two and looks awful in a third straight game and suddenly MD is the team to beat??

Why not just wait until the tournament seeds are set before making a prediction? Especially this year when there is no one team that is head and shoulders above the pack.

Seeding/matchups and who is hot will be crucial in who is favored to win it all, as it is most seasons!

Doria
02-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Why not just wait until the tournament seeds are set before making a prediction? Especially this year when there is no one team that is head and shoulders above the pack.

But, oldnavy, then what would he have to talk about for the two hours of a game, in which he MUST fill every second with commentary? I jest (kind of), as I still have considerable goodwill toward him from his time at Duke.

Also, you're really saying no one's head and shoulders above NCSU?!! Bold prediction ;)

killerleft
02-12-2016, 12:07 PM

Picking now is silly. So many teams could grab the title. I'm not convinced Brandon Ingram isn't gonna go all 'Melo' and help lead Duke to the title!

moonpie23
02-12-2016, 12:21 PM
never thought i'd write this, but Suliamon and the terps winning it all over the cheats would be fine with me....

in fact....ANYONE over the cheats is fine with me......even, GASP!! UK

Doria
02-12-2016, 12:26 PM
never thought i'd write this, but Suliamon and the terps winning it all over the cheats would be fine with me...

in fact...ANYONE over the cheats is fine with me...even, GASP!! UK

I think this is the reasonable response. While I generally cheer for ACC teams in the tourney, I always watch UNC hoping to see a loss, no matter who the opponent. If I don't like the opponent, it's basically a no lose proposition!

Channing
02-12-2016, 12:35 PM
sure, I have some lingering disdain for UMD, but they are nowhere near UNC in my mind. In fact, UMD was so futile for so many years in the ACC that they really receded back to the VT/FSU/NCSU level for me. Now, while I would still pick a random team like Iowa or Villanova over UMD, I would certainly choose UMD over UNC (and probably over UK as well), and I wouldn't even have to think about it.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-12-2016, 12:35 PM
I think this is the reasonable response. While I generally cheer for ACC teams in the tourney, I always watch UNC hoping to see a loss, no matter who the opponent. If I don't like the opponent, it's basically a no lose proposition!

Again, Doria, I like the cut of your jib.

Surprised there's not more Bilas hater on this thread, as every time he states a positivr opinion about other teams/gyms/coaches, people act like he blasphemed.

superdave
02-12-2016, 12:50 PM
I'd describe the national picture are 10-12 teams that ought to be in the discussion for the Final Four. Duke is certainly one of them assuming we get Jefferson back. But there is no team out there dominating other teams. Teams have won some big games and dropped other games.

Last year, Kentucky, Wisconsin and Duke were elite. Below that was Arizona, Villanova, Kansas were really good. This year, I would not put a single team in the elite category and I dont think any teams are good enough to run off 20 straight wins and move into that category.

So picking Maryland at this point does not make sense. They are one of a dozen. But there's also no downside to picking them because Espn never holds their analysts to their picks. They all shuffle their picks as the tournament rolls on with no mention of hindsight.

szstark
02-12-2016, 01:22 PM

When did Suliamon become a terrific ballhandler? Most of us used to cringe when he had the ball in his hands. His head down drives into a crowd were pretty ugly.

sagegrouse
02-12-2016, 01:27 PM
So picking Maryland at this point does not make sense. They are one of a dozen. But there's also no downside to picking them because Espn never holds their analysts to their picks. They all shuffle their picks as the tournament rolls on with no mention of hindsight.

But, truthfully, does NOT picking Maryland make more sense?

MCFinARL
02-12-2016, 01:46 PM
Did anyone hear him when he was broadcasting from Allen Field House for a Kansas game recently? He professed on the air that Allen Field house was the best venue in college basketball. It wasn't stated as "it's in the running", it was more of a definite.

I found myself put off by the comment. Didn't feel that he had to go that far, even if he deep down believed it. He could have said that it was at the top of the heap with Cameron, the Palestra, etc... I can't imagine a former Kansas player coming to Cameron & stating that Cameron was a better venue than Allen Field House, even if they believed it!

Just my 2 cents.

For what it's worth, Bilas has been saying that Allen Field House is the best college hoops venue for at least a few years now. And to be fair, while we can disagree with him, I don't think it's really reasonable to expect a basketball commentator who is employed by a network rather than a specific team to refrain from expressing his opinion on the best venue just because he is a former Duke player.

It's easy to criticize some of the things Bilas says, and it is easy to think that he sometimes bends over backwards to promote UNC (although not, apparently, in the case mentioned in this thread) as a way of showing he is not biased toward Duke. But there is a point at which we have to remember that when he is a commentator, he is supposed to be neutral towards Duke. It's worth noting that, when asked about the program or Coach K, as opposed to the prospects for or play of a particular Duke team, Bilas is unfailingly complimentary; in that context, where it is more appropriate, his loyalty is clear.

Doria
02-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I remember him wearing his Duke blue sneakers in the NCAAT coverage last year. :D

Edouble
02-12-2016, 02:31 PM
For what it's worth, Bilas has been saying that Allen Field House is the best college hoops venue for at least a few years now. And to be fair, while we can disagree with him, I don't think it's really reasonable to expect a basketball commentator who is employed by a network rather than a specific team to refrain from expressing his opinion on the best venue just because he is a former Duke player.

When did the whole Allen Field House thing start anyway? When I was in college, every broadcaster, pretty much across the board, said that Cameron was head-and-shoulders the best. It seems like KU hired some PR people or something like in the past 3 years or so.

75Crazie
02-12-2016, 02:54 PM
It's easy to criticize some of the things Bilas says, and it is easy to think that he sometimes bends over backwards to promote UNC (although not, apparently, in the case mentioned in this thread) as a way of showing he is not biased toward Duke. But there is a point at which we have to remember that when he is a commentator, he is supposed to be neutral towards Duke.
I am fine with the sentiment of that second sentence, in fact I would prefer that he bend a little the other way to avoid the appearance of favorability to Duke. But his statements as referenced in that first sentence are unforgiveable to me. I don't care what his motivation is (network pressure, focus on NCAA bashing, preservation of the image of the Duke/UNC rivalry) ... his continued defense of Carolina and Roy, in the face of significant evidence of malfeasance, makes him appear to me as little more than a toady to that tarnished image.

English
02-12-2016, 03:23 PM
It's easy to criticize some of the things Bilas says...

It certainly is.

He has his strengths in basketball knowledge, intellect, and eloquence, and if he stuck to those strengths, he would be a premier commentator and media personality (as far as I'm concerned). He would likely get less attention and controversy, so in today's media landscape, he'd be a fringe player I suppose. Instead, he chooses to exert his sizeable presence in other ways (which now dwarf his actual basketball knowledge).

I've found that this is a bit of a sensitive subject for the mods, so in the spirit of maintaining my standing on the boards, I'll abstain for elaborating further.

MCFinARL
02-12-2016, 03:30 PM
I am fine with the sentiment of that second sentence, in fact I would prefer that he bend a little the other way to avoid the appearance of favorability to Duke. But his statements as referenced in that first sentence are unforgiveable to me. I don't care what his motivation is (network pressure, focus on NCAA bashing, preservation of the image of the Duke/UNC rivalry) ... his continued defense of Carolina and Roy, in the face of significant evidence of malfeasance, makes him appear to me as little more than a toady to that tarnished image.

That's fair.

diablesseblu
02-12-2016, 04:24 PM

ESPN's financials are hurting Disney's (their parent company) bottom line. Have heard that John Skipper, ESPN president and UNC alum, may be a sacrificial lamb.

Have always been suspect about ESPN's on air talent and how much they "kiss up" to their boss re: UNC. They certainly, except for Bob Ley, have pretty much ignored Carolina's academic/athletic scandal.

Have chalked up Jay's support of Roy et al (and, to a lesser extent his criticisms of the NCAA) to his being a brown-noser.

budwom
02-12-2016, 04:37 PM
^ and it is completely inexcusable that he continues to factually misstate the notice of infractions, "men's basketball wasn't named."
It clearly was...and it's pathetic to claim otherwise.

weezie
02-12-2016, 05:02 PM
Oy, the Bilas issue again?

But, as to the original up thread topic:

When did Suliamon become a terrific ballhandler? Most of us used to cringe when he had the ball in his hands. His head down drives into a crowd were pretty ugly.

It would appear Suliamon finally got the ball-hog-itis that he contracted while at Duke. Getting a few chips blasted off his shoulders definitely helped.

It's Melo's team and I'm sure that was made perfectly clear to Rasheed.

But md for the natty?! Oh ugh. Just barf.

weezie
02-12-2016, 05:03 PM

It would appear Suliamon finally got over the ball-hog-itis that he contracted while at Duke. Getting a few chips blasted off his shoulders definitely helped.

sagegrouse
02-12-2016, 06:40 PM
It certainly is.

He has his strengths in basketball knowledge, intellect, and eloquence, and if he stuck to those strengths, he would be a premier commentator and media personality (as far as I'm concerned). He would likely get less attention and controversy, so in today's media landscape, he'd be a fringe player I suppose. Instead, he chooses to exert his sizeable presence in other ways (which now dwarf his actual basketball knowledge).

I've found that this is a bit of a sensitive subject for the mods, so in the spirit of maintaining my standing on the boards, I'll abstain for elaborating further.

Jay Bilas is the lead basketball analyst for ESPN. Why does that make him a fringe player? Sounds pretty good to me.

I've got no problem with Bilas except maybe to say, "Lighten up, Francis!" I happen to disagree with his preferred interpretation of NCAA rules and regs, but he's entitled to an opinion as an analyst.

Of course, I am also amused by the reaction to Bilas by some on this Board, who seem to go bonkers with every little thing he says that directly or indirectly references Duke.

Kindly,
Sage
'The best over-reaction was a bit of hysteria that his book Toughness was somehow anti-Duke, when, as it turns out, Coach K wrote the preface!'

BandAlum83
02-12-2016, 06:52 PM
sure, I have some lingering disdain for UMD, but they are nowhere near UNC in my mind. In fact, UMD was so futile for so many years in the ACC that they really receded back to the VT/FSU/NCSU level for me. Now, while I would still pick a random team like Iowa or Villanova over UMD, I would certainly choose UMD over UNC (and probably over UK as well), and I wouldn't even have to think about it.

To UMD: "You are not our rivals!"

gurufrisbee
02-12-2016, 07:23 PM
Maryland and NC were both super overrated going into the season.

Nothing has changed that to this point.

Pghdukie
02-12-2016, 08:48 PM
If the DUMP on the HUMP plays the TWERPS for a natty, My beverage of chose will be thrown thru my tv. I will then be obligated to buy my wife a 2,000,000 diamond ring for penance.

fidel
02-12-2016, 10:55 PM

It would appear Suliamon finally got over the ball-hog-itis that he contracted while at Duke. Getting a few chips blasted off his shoulders definitely helped.

This was worth reading twice :)

MaxAMillion
02-12-2016, 11:17 PM
ESPN's financials are hurting Disney's (their parent company) bottom line. Have heard that John Skipper, ESPN president and UNC alum, may be a sacrificial lamb.

Have always been suspect about ESPN's on air talent and how much they "kiss up" to their boss re: UNC. They certainly, except for Bob Ley, have pretty much ignored Carolina's academic/athletic scandal.

Have chalked up Jay's support of Roy et al (and, to a lesser extent his criticisms of the NCAA) to his being a brown-noser.

Most members of the media (certainly TV) ignore commenting on NCAA violations unless it is to support the coach. TV personalities meet with coaches before games and develop relationships. None of them call out coaches. The only people who seem to be bothered by Bilas are Duke fans. Most everything I hear and read about Bilas is positive from other fan bases and on talk radio.

I think Bilas is a better color analyst than almost anyone else that does college basketball. As for his Maryland pick, I guess he has to pick someone. I know plenty of people picked Maryland for the final four before the season started. I think they are currently number two in the country so they are probably as good a pick as any.

Indoor66
02-13-2016, 07:49 AM
Most members of the media (certainly TV) ignore commenting on NCAA violations unless it is to support the coach. TV personalities meet with coaches before games and develop relationships. None of them call out coaches. The only people who seem to be bothered by Bilas are Duke fans. Most everything I hear and read about Bilas is positive from other fan bases and on talk radio.

I think Bilas is a better color analyst than almost anyone else that does college basketball. As for his Maryland pick, I guess he has to pick someone. I know plenty of people picked Maryland for the final four before the season started. I think they are currently number two in the country so they are probably as good a pick as any.

I think Bilas talks too much. Not complaining about knowledge or content at all; he just doesn't shut up and I find it quite distracting. Much in the same way as Vitale never shuts up, except that Vitale is mostly off topic. That is why there is a mute button (or is that moot:rolleyes:). :cool:

weezie
02-13-2016, 07:49 AM
If the DUMP on the HUMP plays the TWERPS for a natty... I will then be obligated to buy my wife a 2,000,000 diamond ring for penance.

I'm all for that!

Indoor66
02-13-2016, 07:57 AM
I'm all for that!

Now the truth is out. Give her a diamond and she will follow you anywhere. You must be really named Marilyn (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL7ETLLkQTY).

Happy St. Valentine's Day.

superdave
02-13-2016, 07:59 AM
'The best over-reaction was a bit of hysteria that his book Toughness was somehow anti-Duke, when, as it turns out, Coach K wrote the preface!'

Does this make Coach K anti-Duke? We may need to form a committee.

elvis14
02-13-2016, 08:55 AM
Of course, I am also amused by the reaction to Bilas by some on this Board, who seem to go bonkers with every little thing he says that directly or indirectly references Duke.

I am amused by the Bilas apologists. He's a very smart, knowledgeable, well spoken man but he does three things that bother me:

He is overly negative towards Duke basketball. The assumption here is that he tries too hard to not appear as a homer. I'd just prefer that he's not the announcer for Duke games.
He refuses to properly address the UNCheating scandal. There's two things going on here. First ESPN loves UNCheat and he works for ESPN. Secondly, he hates the NCAA and I think giving credence to the punishments that the NCAA needs to hand down to UNCheat is more than he's willing to discuss.
He's always on his soap box about the NCAA. We get it, you think they suck for lots of reasons. As far as I can tell nobody cares (well maybe UNCheat people if they think discrediting the NCAA will disallow punishment???)

I don't go 'Bonkers', just roll my eyes and shake my head. A guy that could be such a positive voice for Duke chooses instead to be a positive voice for UNCheat.

bedeviled
02-13-2016, 09:34 AM
He is overly negative towards Duke basketball. The assumption here is that he tries too hard to not appear as a homer
Perhaps he isn't negative towards Duke, but just not as kind as he is toward other programs. For the most part, sports entertainment personalities tend to be overly complimentary and forgiving toward their subjects (ie their bread and butter). When they do question something that could be considered negative, they tend to do it with lack of pressure, presence of escapes, and ready-made canned excuses.

When Chris Spatola asked Jay for advice (http://beta.dukechronicle.com/articles/2013/02/28/chris-spatolas-journey-duke-basketball-operations-administration-broadcasting/print) on how to cover Duke as a member of the media, “I told him the advice that his father-in-law gave me when I first started: Don’t ever pull any punches when it comes to Duke,” Bilas said. “[Krzyzewski’s] thing was, if you want people to believe what you say, tell the truth.”
Soooo, it might not be that Jay is not seeking out ways to attack Duke, per se, but is, rather, simply not holding back punches as he would typically do for other players/coaches/schools.

He refuses to properly address the UNCheating scandal...[SNIP]...the punishments that the NCAA needs to hand down to UNCheat is more than he's willing to discussHe HAS addressed the scandal on a number of occasions. He has explicitly stated that it is NOT an NCAA issue, so I think you can take that as a discussion of the punishments as well ;) If you want to see his arguments, you can search through his Twitter history or check out Bradley Bethel's documentary, in which Bilas is interviewed (reportedly saying that it is an academic issue and not an athletic issue).

DukeFanSince1990
02-13-2016, 09:42 AM
I'm all for that!

I would just pull for Maryland, hard.

weezie
02-13-2016, 03:04 PM
I would just pull for Maryland, hard.

It's all so disgusting.

But how about Jay getting the Hall o' Fame Curt Gowdy award?!
Way to go JAY!

CoachJ10
02-13-2016, 08:44 PM
After watching the Twerps get completely outplayed on their home court by a very average Wisconsin team...wonder if Jay sees a diffferent Maryland team. I dont see good leadership on this team. Talented yes, but I dont see the leadership necessary for a Natty and that includes Melo.

moonpie23
02-13-2016, 09:20 PM
well, first he was all "unc is the front runner", then......not so much.....then MD....now....not so much...

he'll be back on kansas soon...

gep
02-13-2016, 10:22 PM
As long as he doesn't pick Duke... we'll be just fine :cool:

westwall
02-13-2016, 10:38 PM
After watching the Twerps get completely outplayed on their home court by a very average Wisconsin team...wonder if Jay sees a diffferent Maryland team. I dont see good leadership on this team. Talented yes, but I dont see the leadership necessary for a Natty and that includes Melo.

And, after watching the replay several times, I don't understand why Diamond Stone did not get a Flagrant I or II for the mugging and out of bounds head slamming of the Wisconsin player. Different refs than we had in the L'ville game??

Olympic Fan
02-13-2016, 10:49 PM
As long as he doesn't pick Duke... we'll be just fine :cool:

Jay pick Duke? That's a laugh.

El_Diablo
02-13-2016, 11:17 PM
There are some things to criticize Bilas for, but picking Maryland as most likely to win the championship is not one of them. Especially at this stage. He does come across as kind of toolbag in the video ("I picked Maryland in the preseason, so I may end up looking like Nostradamus again...."), but the pick is defensible.

devildeac
02-14-2016, 12:13 AM
well, first he was all "unc is the front runner", then...not so much....then MD...now...not so much...

he'll be back on kansas soon...

Why not? They have the best arena/crowd/whatever :rolleyes: .

devildeac
02-14-2016, 12:14 AM
And, after watching the replay several times, I don't understand why Diamond Stone did not get a Flagrant I or II for the mugging and out of bounds head slamming of the Wisconsin player. Different refs than we had in the L'ville game??

Cue up the next Dana O'Neil article/Gottlieb POS :mad: . :rolleyes:

hsheffield
02-14-2016, 08:06 AM
1. re: Gottlieb showing video of Grayson's 'trip' beside Diamond Stone's dribbling Vito Brown's head:

the difference is alarmingly significant.

the 'trip' may or may not have been intentional, but unlikely to cause life changing trauma

dribbling someone's head on the floor can lead to subdural hematoma, subarachnoid hemorrhage or diffuse axonal injury-any of which can land you in the ICU or worse.

2. Bilas' assertion that the cheaters' issues are purely academic:

faulty logic on his part

if individuals weren't doing the work of a student at UNC, how could they be eligible to do the work of a student-athlete and play for their basketball team?

weezie
02-14-2016, 09:50 AM
Watched the NBC local sports (DC) last night and I was stunned, they didn't even mention the ejection? I'm sure a DCMDVA person will correct me if I am wrong but could I have actually seen them suppress the flagrant in their reporting?

DukeandMdFan
02-15-2016, 10:57 PM
Watched the NBC local sports (DC) last night and I was stunned, they didn't even mention the ejection? I'm sure a DCMDVA person will correct me if I am wrong but could I have actually seen them suppress the flagrant in their reporting?

Maryland suspends Diamond Stone for one game, Thursday night @ Minnesota

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cbk/story.asp?i=20160215175536544048308

Ian
02-16-2016, 12:14 AM
He HAS addressed the scandal on a number of occasions. He has explicitly stated that it is NOT an NCAA issue, so I think you can take that as a discussion of the punishments as well ;) If you want to see his arguments, you can search through his Twitter history or check out Bradley Bethel's documentary, in which Bilas is interviewed (reportedly saying that it is an academic issue and not an athletic issue).

Which means he's parroting the UNC PR. Which is that in front of SACS they argue it's an athletic issue so SACS shouldn't punish them, and in front of the NCAA they argue it's an academic issue and that the NCAA shouldn't punish them.

When the truth of the matter is that it's both an athletic and academic scandal and they should be punished by both.

Honestly it hasn't bothered me that much that he's rarely objective when it comes to Duke. Because honestly what do I care what some announcer thinks about Duke any way. I don't care what Pat Forde thinks, or what Doug Goetlieb thinks, and I care as much what Jay Bilas thinks.

But his stance on the UNCheat scandal shows a total lack of integrity, to defend in anyway what they have done is a complete disgrace.

TKG
02-16-2016, 10:54 AM
Which means he's parroting the UNC PR. Which is that in front of SACS they argue it's an athletic issue so SACS shouldn't punish them, and in front of the NCAA they argue it's an academic issue and that the NCAA shouldn't punish them.

When the truth of the matter is that it's both an athletic and academic scandal and they should be punished by both.

Honestly it hasn't bothered me that much that he's rarely objective when it comes to Duke. Because honestly what do I care what some announcer thinks about Duke any way. I don't care what Pat Forde thinks, or what Doug Goetlieb thinks, and I care as much what Jay Bilas thinks.

But his stance on the UNCheat scandal shows a total lack of integrity, to defend in anyway what they have done is a complete disgrace.

He lives in Charlotte ( Chapel Hill West) and he works for John Skipper. There is no down side, either personally or professionally, in Bilas taking any/all pro-UNC positions.

Ian
02-16-2016, 11:02 AM
He lives in Charlotte ( Chapel Hill West) and he works for John Skipper. There is no down side, either personally or professionally, in Bilas taking any/all pro-UNC positions.

The downside is that he's now a man who sold his integrity for a paycheck.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-17-2016, 11:41 PM
Bilas just put up his #1 seeds and MD wasn't one of them. Should have been a Chicago politician.

TexHawk
02-18-2016, 09:21 AM
When did the whole Allen Field House thing start anyway? When I was in college, every broadcaster, pretty much across the board, said that Cameron was head-and-shoulders the best. It seems like KU hired some PR people or something like in the past 3 years or so.

When I was at KU in the mid-to-late 90s, I recall every broadcaster calling AFH the best. Funny how that works. ;) And Bilas has been calling AFH the "St Andrews of Basketball" for at least 10 years.

I mean, the data doesn't really lie over the last 15 years or so. Bill Self has won 204 of the 213 games he has coached there. And given his (relative to peers) slightly substandard NCAAT record, I could make the case that AFH has hidden some flawed teams.

That isn't meant to dis CIS. My sister (Duke grad) is convinced I'm wrong. Btw, I visited campus to see her in the early 90s. Got to walk on the floor and take a 3. A skinny 13 year-old Kansas kid banked in his one and only attempt (not called unfortunately). So it obviously can't be that daunting of a place. ;)

MChambers
02-18-2016, 01:25 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/02/18/maryland-vs-duke-in-the-ncaa-tournament-yes-please/

Quite a bit of terping by Gary Williams in this article about the 2001 semifinal. Funny, I don't remember the refereeing favoring Duke, to put it mildly.

And as far as Maryland fans wanting Duke, all you had to do was stay in the ACC.

Doria
02-18-2016, 02:08 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/02/18/maryland-vs-duke-in-the-ncaa-tournament-yes-please/

Quite a bit of terping by Gary Williams in this article about the 2001 semifinal. Funny, I don't remember the refereeing favoring Duke, to put it mildly.

And as far as Maryland fans wanting Duke, all you had to do was stay in the ACC.

Man, Gary Williams should take over at UNC when Roy retires, to keep it in the family. Can't even imagine being a grown man and whining that much.

Indoor66
02-18-2016, 03:44 PM
Man, Gary Williams should take over at UNC when Roy retires, to keep it in the family. Can't even imagine being a grown man and whining that much.

...and if he went over to the dump on the hump he could get some cheese with that whine.:cool: