PDA

View Full Version : Front Page Article re: Amile Jefferson

freshmanjs
02-11-2016, 10:27 AM
I wonder on what basis Vrancovic appears to be a more intelligent player than Robinson? Interesting observation.

budwom
02-11-2016, 10:34 AM
I wonder on what basis Vrancovic appears to be a more intelligent player than Robinson? Interesting observation.

I don't believe it said that. It said Vranc is intelligent, did not compare the two.

mattman91
02-11-2016, 10:46 AM

His last appearance was the GT game were he played less than a minute, got called for a 3 second violation, then fouled on the defensive end immediately after. Interesting observation indeed.

killerleft
02-11-2016, 11:21 AM
His last appearance was the GT game were he played less than a minute, got called for a 3 second violation, then fouled on the defensive end immediately after. Interesting observation indeed.

He wanted to go sit down beside Robinson. So it was pretty smart. Robinson was so smart he just sat there waiting for his buddy to get back. But the sample size is small.

johnb
02-11-2016, 11:47 AM

I also thought there was implied comparison between the two guys (and perhaps adding the 3rd big guy who isn't playing this year). But I'm confident i wasn't intended.

The bigger point is the silver lining to the injury. A front court of Amile along with the 2 star freshmen would be awesome (the other guys would inevitably play supporting roles). When combined with a seasoned backcourt that adds another PG star, we're looking at a potential NC team. I'm still hoping he gets back, this year, but in some ways, the program might be better off for him to stick around for next year (plus, he'd have the chance to flex his muscles for another year and potentially become our next Lance Thomas in the NBA)

MCFinARL
02-11-2016, 11:54 AM
I also thought there was implied comparison between the two guys (and perhaps adding the 3rd big guy who isn't playing this year). But I'm confident i wasn't intended.

The bigger point is the silver lining to the injury. A front court of Amile along with the 2 star freshmen would be awesome (the other guys would inevitably play supporting roles). When combined with a seasoned backcourt that adds another PG star, we're looking at a potential NC team. I'm still hoping he gets back, this year, but in some ways, the program might be better off for him to stick around for next year (plus, he'd have the chance to flex his muscles for another year and potentially become our next Lance Thomas in the NBA)

It's an interesting idea--but in fairness, the article linked in the front page story offers only speculation about a redshirt, and doesn't offer any evidence whatsoever that it is being considered by Amile or by the Duke program. It's based only on Coach K's Monday night comment that Amile is still feeling some pain. So we really don't know any more about this than we already did.

That being said, we've already been talking about a possible redshirt in other threads, so no reason not to do so here as well.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-11-2016, 12:45 PM
It's an interesting idea--but in fairness, the article linked in the front page story offers only speculation about a redshirt, and doesn't offer any evidence whatsoever that it is being considered by Amile or by the Duke program. It's based only on Coach K's Monday night comment that Amile is still feeling some pain. So we really don't know any more about this than we already did.

That being said, we've already been talking about a possible redshirt in other threads, so no reason not to do so here as well.

Yes, we have talked about it quite a bit on other threads, but is there any evidence that it is being considered in-house? It seems like an absurd idea to me and assumed it was just being kicked around as a "what if," but it clearly has more legs than that.

CDu
02-11-2016, 12:54 PM
Yes, we have talked about it quite a bit on other threads, but is there any evidence that it is being considered in-house? It seems like an absurd idea to me and assumed it was just being kicked around as a "what if," but it clearly has more legs than that.

The article was just someone at the Fayetteville Observer posing the idea. There has been no indication that Duke or Jefferson have even considered it beyond a passing thought.

JetpackJesus
02-11-2016, 01:20 PM
Does a medical redshirt (or any redshirt) need to be declared before the end of the season? I thought Duke and Amile could just proceed with his recovery as if he would play this year. If Amile makes it back, great. If he does not recover enough to play then they can just designate this a medical redshirt season, assuming the <30% of competitions requirement is satisfied.

Is that how it works?

FerryFor50
02-11-2016, 01:43 PM
I liked the "for the first time, someone brought up the idea that he redshirts" line. As if that hasn't been discussed ad nauseum here. :p

Edouble
02-11-2016, 02:11 PM
The article was just someone at the Fayetteville Observer posing the idea. There has been no indication that Duke or Jefferson have even considered it beyond a passing thought.

Yeah, it clearly does not have more legs than that. The writer could have come on here looking for story ideas for all we know.

mattman91
02-11-2016, 02:26 PM
VranKovic

:cool:

MChambers
02-11-2016, 02:32 PM
I liked the "for the first time, someone brought up the idea that he redshirts" line. As if that hasn't been discussed ad nauseum here. :p

Just means that you're not anyone. Don't take it personally. :)

freshmanjs
02-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Yeah, it clearly does not have more legs than that. The writer could have come on here looking for story ideas for all we know.

Seth Davis tweeted a few weeks ago that Jefferson might redshirt. He may have just made that up, but this is certainly not the first time it's been mentioned. And, of course, the staff has considered it. Maybe they've considered and rejected it (either because it doesn't work for Amile or they don't think it's right for the program). It's absurd to think they didn't review the various options here.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-11-2016, 03:56 PM
Seth Davis tweeted a few weeks ago that Jefferson might redshirt. He may have just made that up, but this is certainly not the first time it's been mentioned. And, of course, the staff has considered it. Maybe they've considered and rejected it (either because it doesn't work for Amile or they don't think it's right for the program). It's absurd to think they didn't review the various options here.

I assume that by "review the various options here" you mean staff and Amile reading these boards with our keen insights. :)

Not sure why I find the discussion of red shirting in this instance so distasteful. Seems like it ought to be completely up to Amile, with information provided by staff. It's his education, his career, his health.

I know this ks well-covered territory, if just feels... off to discuss it from a team efficiency standpoint, when it is the body, schooling, and career of a young man.

freshmanjs
02-11-2016, 04:02 PM
I assume that by "review the various options here" you mean staff and Amile reading these boards with our keen insights. :)

Not sure why I find the discussion of red shirting in this instance so distasteful. Seems like it ought to be completely up to Amile, with information provided by staff. It's his education, his career, his health.

I know this ks well-covered territory, if just feels... off to discuss it from a team efficiency standpoint, when it is the body, schooling, and career of a young man.

Of course it's up to him with input from the staff. I don't think anyone said otherwise. The staff will have looked at the options regarding redshirting and Amile will consider what he wants to be doing next year and how he can best pursue his individual and team goals. I don't think it's distasteful at all. Just like a discussion of whether Derryck Thornton should come to Duke in Fall of 2015 or Fall of 2016 was not distasteful.

English
02-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Of course it's up to him with input from the staff. I don't think anyone said otherwise. The staff will have looked at the options regarding redshirting and Amile will consider what he wants to be doing next year and how he can best pursue his individual and team goals. I don't think it's distasteful at all. Just like a discussion of whether Derryck Thornton should come to Duke in Fall of 2015 or Fall of 2016 was not distasteful.

I'm having some trouble grasping what is distasteful in the discussion, as well. The medical redshirt in this instance would be, essentially, the same as it is in every instance...a contingency if things don't work out this season for Amile's recovery. This isn't like 'sweep the leg' or a middle school football dad holding his kid back and giving him HGH so he's bigger than everyone when he hits HS. Amile will determine, as far as is medically possible and with input from the coaching staff, what he would like to do this season and beyond. If he's not 100% healed, it's likely he won't play until he is. The intrigue, and perhaps where the distasteful nature of the discussion peeks out, is if Amile is 80% ready by the ACCT and the question presents itself: do Amile and the staff feel comfortable trotting out 80% Amile for 2-10 games or preserve his (potential) eligibility for another season, should he want to return. I've seen comments to that effect, but not lately.

Chatting about the possibility of a medical redshirt seems as harmless and fruitless as everything else we discuss here. The team docs and the team staff aren't going to glean their course of action from these posts anymore than Marques Bolden will from the 2016 recruiting thread. It's a matter of discourse about what it would mean if Amile's foot hasn't healed in time to allow him to contribute to this season's team.

walras
02-11-2016, 04:23 PM
It's not "speculation". Scheyer talked about this at a lunch with alums/supporters more than a week ago. He said exactly what is being reported -- that Amile has pain, doctors cannot really do anything more, and a medical redshirt is a possibility (it would have to be requested) if Amile wants to go that route.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-11-2016, 04:35 PM
It's not "speculation". Scheyer talked about this at a lunch with alums/supporters more than a week ago. He said exactly what is being reported -- that Amile has pain, doctors cannot really do anything more, and a medical redshirt is a possibility (it would have to be requested) if Amile wants to go that route.

I am clearly in the minority with my take on it.

Scheyer's mention is the first I have heard from an official source. Interesting.

CDu
02-11-2016, 04:38 PM

As I said in my post, there has been no indication that the staff or Jefferson has considered it as more than a passing thought. That's not to say that (a) they haven't considered it at all, or that (b) they aren't seriously considering it. Just that there has been literally nothing from a reliable source to indicate that it has been given any consideration.

I'd be shocked if it hasn't been mentioned between Jefferson and the staff. But neither Seth Davis's comments nor the Fayetteville Observer article are any more evidence to me than the average poster on DBR talking about it.

MChambers
02-11-2016, 05:09 PM
I am clearly in the minority with my take on it.

Scheyer's mention is the first I have heard from an official source. Interesting.

Count me in that minority. Seems like a very personal thing. I think what has bothered me is the assumption that Amile would want to come back next year.

freshmanjs
02-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Count me in that minority. Seems like a very personal thing. I think what has bothered me is the assumption that Amile would want to come back next year.

Who is assuming that? If I say that Grayson Allen might enter the NBA draft this spring, that doesn't mean I am assuming he wants to do that. I have no idea if he wants to or not. But, it is an option that is potentially available to him. Same thing.

BD80
02-11-2016, 07:06 PM
... That being said, we've already been talking about a possible redshirt in other threads, so no reason not to do so here as well.

The topic has been beaten to death, and flayed 'till the flesh has disappeared. A molecular sieve would be required to generate new material.

SOP

cato
02-11-2016, 08:10 PM
The topic has been beaten to death, and flayed 'till the flesh has disappeared. A molecular sieve would be required to generate new material.

SOP

How many molecules of broken bone would justify a medical redshirt? Do they have to balance on a pin?

Newton_14
02-11-2016, 08:22 PM
As I said in my post, there has been no indication that the staff or Jefferson has considered it as more than a passing thought. That's not to say that (a) they haven't considered it at all, or that (b) they aren't seriously considering it. Just that there has been literally nothing from a reliable source to indicate that it has been given any consideration.

I'd be shocked if it hasn't been mentioned between Jefferson and the staff. But neither Seth Davis's comments nor the Fayetteville Observer article are any more evidence to me than the average poster on DBR talking about it.

See post 18 above yours.

MChambers
02-11-2016, 09:04 PM
Who is assuming that? If I say that Grayson Allen might enter the NBA draft this spring, that doesn't mean I am assuming he wants to do that. I have no idea if he wants to or not. But, it is an option that is potentially available to him. Same thing.
No one expressly assumed it, but it was implicit in some of the posts, or so I thought.