PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling upends #13 UNC

Mike Corey
02-11-2016, 06:47 AM
Big time win in Chapel Hill! (http://goduke.us/1otqDOv)

DukieInKansas
02-11-2016, 07:54 AM
Whoo Hoo! Way to go, Blue Devils!

MCFinARL
02-11-2016, 08:32 AM
A win against UNC is always a very good win. A win against ranked UNC is a GREAT win! Thanks for sharing this info.

Tom B.
02-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Big time win in Chapel Hill! (http://goduke.us/1otqDOv)

Kind of ashamed to admit this, but I didn't even realize we still had a wrestling team. I thought they got Title IXed out of existence a while back.

devildeac
02-11-2016, 11:28 AM
Kind of ashamed to admit this, but I didn't even realize we still had a wrestling team. I thought they got Title IXed out of existence a while back.

I think the women's wrestling team gets more scholarships than the men. :rolleyes: ;)

BLPOG
02-11-2016, 11:50 AM
I think the women's wrestling team gets more scholarships than the men. :rolleyes: ;)

You got me thinking about it and after looking it up, it turns out wrestling isn't a NCAA women's (or coeducational) sport. I'm somewhat surprised by that, given that rules are fairly similar in high school wrestling, in which girls mix it up with the boys.

I was terrified of having to wrestle a girl in tournament competition in high school. They knew what they were doing.

Mike Corey
02-11-2016, 11:06 PM

We lack the scholarships to produce great teams year in and out, but we have produced some stellar individual wrestlers the past few seasons. And the program is climbing, for sure.

This year's squad has a two-time all american, hopefully en route to his third such honor. He has finished 5th and 6th at NCAAs.

We have a great coach, IMO, that's made great strides with our program. Last season, we had 5 guys qualify for NCAAs, and 3 made it to the second day of the tournament. That was a program first. As a team, we came in 28th overall, our best finish ever.

The most decorated Duke wrestler of whom I'm aware was Konrad Dudziak, who was national runner-up in 2009.

Bluedog
02-12-2016, 09:33 AM

I realize this is a joke, but my (male) buddy who was on the women's basketball practice squad counted as a female participant in varsity sports when calculating the numbers for Title IX, haha. There was an article about this I read somewhere a while back, pretty humorous. (But he wasn't on scholarship, so didn't count towards scholarship count obviously).

Mike Corey
03-06-2016, 11:45 PM
Quick update: Duke has landed four athletes at NCAAs, led by now 2-time ACC champion, Conner Hartmann. He's ranked 5th nationally, and defeated the sixth-ranked wrestler to take home the conference title.

He is just the 8th Blue Devil in program history to win multiple conference championships.

DukieInKansas
03-07-2016, 03:51 AM
Great news! Congrats to all. Good luck at the NCAAs.

BD80
03-07-2016, 06:37 AM
I realize this is a joke, but my (male) buddy who was on the women's basketball practice squad counted as a female participant in varsity sports when calculating the numbers for Title IX, haha. There was an article about this I read somewhere a while back, pretty humorous. (But he wasn't on scholarship, so didn't count towards scholarship count obviously).

Actually not that humorous. They count a male to justify funds for women's programs while cutting funding to men's programs.

Henderson
03-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Congrats to our guys!

I sometimes wonder why wrestling is not more of a televised spectator sport. It's exciting to watch. Imagine what it would be like if the athletes became (through TV exposure) known names with fierce rivalries. The guys on the mat don't focus just on team performance, because they are just facing the opponents in their weight class. You help the team by kicking the asses of the limited number of guys in your weight class. The mano-a-mano factor is huge. ("We wrestle at Minnesota this weekend; that means it's me and Joe Jones head to head.") UFC has flourished. Why not wrestling? It has the face-to-face matchups with the overlay of team sport and school pride. Should be on TV more. I could get into it.

It's really the ultimate sport if you think about it: speed, strength, technique, and endurance. Plus a ferocious gladiator-type setting.

Maybe I'll start a wrestling book. It's unexplored territory for TV and gambling.

captmojo
03-08-2016, 11:16 AM
I sometimes wonder why wrestling is not more of a televised spectator sport. It's exciting to watch.

I blame 'Haystack' Calhoun and Rick Flair.