PDA

View Full Version : Academic All-ACC Football

Olympic Fan
02-10-2016, 02:26 PM
For the seventh straight year, Duke led the ACC in Academic All-ACC Football selections -- this time by a WIDE margin.

Duke had 13 of the 55 players selected.

Second-place Virginia had six ... nobody else had more than four (and other neighbors from UNC Cheat had two).

The players selected:

Ross Martin and Will Monday were picked for the fourth consecutive year.

Devon Edwards and Shaq Powell made it for the third straight year.

Thomas Sirk and Max McCaffrey made it for the second straight year.

First-time selections were: Tinasha Bere, Ben Humphries, Gabe Brandner, Xavier Carmichael, Alonzo Saxton, Tanner Stone and AJ Wolf.

Wolf was a first-team Academic All-American this season, while Edwards and Martin were second-team Academic All-Americans.

This used to be something we could look at with pride while our team floundered. But to continue to dominate the All-ACC Academic team while averaging nine wins a year is a pretty significant achievement.

DukieInKansas
02-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Congratulations to all 55 selected athletes. An extra, special congratulations to the Duke players, their parents/families for raising such great young men, and to the coaching staff for recruiting them.!

Listen to Quants
02-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Thanks for posting this. Simply great.

Dev11
02-10-2016, 05:24 PM
How exactly do they select the academic teams?

duke blue brewcrew
02-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the post Oly, great info!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-10-2016, 05:53 PM

Start with the entire roster of all ACC teams. Then delete all Tar Heels...

Olympic Fan
02-10-2016, 06:52 PM

From the Duke release:

To be eligible for consideration, a student-athlete must have earned a 3.00 grade point average for the previous semester and maintained a 3.00 cumulative average during his academic career. The league has selected an Academic All-ACC Football team every year since 1954.

Sir Stealth
02-11-2016, 04:37 PM
From the Duke release:

To be eligible for consideration, a student-athlete must have earned a 3.00 grade point average for the previous semester and maintained a 3.00 cumulative average during his academic career. The league has selected an Academic All-ACC Football team every year since 1954.

Any idea how it's selected among those who are eligible? Recent events have demonstrated more than ever that not all 3.0 GPAs are created equal.

Dev11
02-11-2016, 05:45 PM
From the Duke release:

So it includes every guy who fits those criteria, and therefore the size of the team varies year to year? Are there really only 13 Duke players sporting 3.0 GPAs, and that's the highest in the conference? There must be some additional consideration.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-11-2016, 06:19 PM
So it includes every guy who fits those criteria, and therefore the size of the team varies year to year? Are there really only 13 Duke players sporting 3.0 GPAs, and that's the highest in the conference? There must be some additional consideration.

Sounds to me like the 3.0 is the starting point for the selection criteria.

Dev11
02-11-2016, 07:36 PM
Sounds to me like the 3.0 is the starting point for the selection criteria.

Right, that's what I'm trying to figure out. It's not that I don't want to celebrate the accomplishments of our guys, but I do want to know what they accomplished. I hope it's not coming off inappropriately.