PDA

View Full Version : Players You Couldn't Help But Like

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-09-2016, 05:06 PM
In light of all the discussion of hated players, I decided to start a thread on players from other ACC teams you couldn't help but like. I will start with two players from teams that I usually despise, but definitely rooted for when they weren't playing Duke.

Juan Dixon - Maryland. Tough kid, extremely intense competitor. Couldn't stand Maryland teams of that era or Gary Williams, but Dixon was hard to not respect if not enjoy watching.

Marcus Paige. I might get throttled for this one, but his grit and determination has willed the Evil Empire to what seems like dozens of victories in the last few years that they wouldn't have without him on the floor. He fights through injuries and adversity, frequently seems like the only player on UNC that can hit from outside, and loves having the ball in his hands in big game situations. Seems to be a good kid by all accounts.

Please, let's keep this positive, and share the players from other schools that you couldn't help but enjoy watching play.

duke blue brewcrew
02-09-2016, 05:14 PM
In light of all the discussion of hated players, I decided to start a thread on players from other ACC teams you couldn't help but like. I will start with two players from teams that I usually despise, but definitely rooted for when they weren't playing Duke.

Juan Dixon - Maryland. Tough kid, extremely intense competitor. Couldn't stand Maryland teams of that era or Gary Williams, but Dixon was hard to not respect if not enjoy watching.

Marcus Paige. I might get throttled for this one, but his grit and determination has willed the Evil Empire to what seems like dozens of victories in the last few years that they wouldn't have without him on the floor. He fights through injuries and adversity, frequently seems like the only player on UNC that can hit from outside, and loves having the ball in his hands in big game situations. Seems to be a good kid by all accounts.

Please, let's keep this positive, and share the players from other schools that you couldn't help but enjoy watching play.

I'll join in, and share your risk of getting throttled. I enjoyed watching James Worthy when I was a kid, especially his creativity with his dunks. Len Bias - do I need to explain this one? It's a shame he tragically left this earth far too soon, but he was amazing in college and during an era when the Twerps were tolerable, IMO.

Tripping William
02-09-2016, 05:20 PM
Julius Hodge. A lot like Chris Carawell, in my view, only in red-and-white. And Tim Duncan + Randolph Childress. They were the BMOC's when I moved to town, and I have nothing but praise for them (especially what Childress did to Jeff McInnis (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJMsoIptQo)).

weezie
02-09-2016, 05:23 PM
OK, Childress. But this is an icky topic...:cool:
Hhhmmm, Cat Barber?
I quit.

Nugget
02-09-2016, 05:23 PM
Definitely Juan Dixon. Rodney Monroe from N.C. St. Bryant Stith from U.Va. Dennis Scott and Kenny Anderson from Tech. Rodney Rogers, Tim Duncan and Randolph Childress from Wake.

tteettimes
02-09-2016, 05:26 PM
David Thompson

wilson
02-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Randolph Childress is #1 for me. His 1995 ACC Tournament was just silly, and I was able to enjoy it basically with no stakes due to the state of Duke's season at that point.
Also Georgia Tech's Lethal Weapon 3 (Kenny Anderson, Dennis Scott, and Brian Oliver)...having grown up in Atlanta, I fondly remember when the Jackets were near-elite and made ACC basketball actually matter around here. Not for nothing did they call Tech's old arena "The Thriller Dome."
I also jealously watched some really fun ACC football players during our lean years...Calvin Johnson, Matt Ryan, and Philip Rivers come to mind.

burnspbesq
02-09-2016, 05:43 PM
In addition to most of those named above, Bobby Jones, Spud Webb, Jeff Lamp, Tim Mullen (he's from my HS), Craig Neal.

OldPhiKap
02-09-2016, 05:52 PM
Since I started seeing games (original and "plus one" teams ACC only)

Wake -- Randolph Childress, Mugsy Bogues, Rodney Rodgers (shout out to Rusty LaRue, too, although I loved to give him grief)
Maryland -- Len Bias, Juan Dixon, Adrian Branch
Heels -- Antawn Jamison, Marcus Paige
Tech -- about anyone from the '85-'89 classes except Mark Price or Noodles Neal
Virginia -- Malcolm Brogdon, Bryant Stith, Cory Alexander, Junior Burrough
State -- Rodney Monroe, Chris Cochiani, Sidney Lowe, Cat Barber
Clemson -- Horace and Harvey Grant

FSU -- Charlie Ward

Hard to really pick one from the expansion schools.

Tom B.
02-09-2016, 05:54 PM
Didn't like him at first, but he grew on me -- Greivis Vasquez.

Same with Julius Hodge.

Definitely Juan Dixon. And Bias, of course. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KdFhvX8Xaw

Mark Price and John Salley. And Dennis Scott.

Childress. I hated the way he repeatedly gutted us, but I'll always love him for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJMsoIptQo

And this (nice defense, Dante): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgsVItGvRQo

Bryant Stith, definitely. Remember when he broke UVa's career scoring record in Cameron, and Coach K grabbed the PA mike after the game and gave Stith the game ball? (Duke had won the game -- it was the game in which Hurley returned from his foot injury in 1992 -- but I thought it was an incredibly nice gesture by K.)

Greg Buckner. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SmGyTDfNks

RPS
02-09-2016, 05:55 PM
Terry Chili...oh, wait, he played for us.

In light of all the discussion of hated players, I decided to start a thread on players from other ACC teams you couldn't help but like.

Buck Williams. John Lucas. Tom McMillen. Tim Duncan. Rodney Rogers. Randolph Childress. Frank Johnson. David Thompson. T.J. Warren. Rodney Monroe. Larry Nance. Horace Grant. Mark Price. Dennis Scott. Tom Hammonds. Jeff Lamp. Ralph Sampson. Bryant Stith. Wally Walker. Brad Daugherty (had to have one from Carolina).

superdave
02-09-2016, 05:58 PM
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-02-05/sports/1992036023_1_north-carolina-tar-heels-carolina-basketball-team

burnspbesq
02-09-2016, 05:58 PM
Someone mentioned Childress' performance in the1995 ACC Tournament. Let's not forget Billy Langloh, who pretty much won the 1976 ACC Tournament for UVa all by himself. And did nothing else before or after.

Bay Area Duke Fan
02-09-2016, 06:01 PM
Billy Cunningham.

duke blue brewcrew
02-09-2016, 06:03 PM
And this (nice defense, Dante): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgsVItGvRQo

That was worse than Roger Dorn playing third base for the Cleveland Indians... (special thanks to RPS for helping me get the reference correct)

RPS
02-09-2016, 06:05 PM
That was worse than Roger Dorn playing shortstop for the Cleveland Indians...

Third base.
https://youtu.be/1X8552DxqOk

DukieInKansas
02-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Greivis Vasquez - because he seemed to enjoy the harassment in Cameron - unfortunately, often too much

Tim Duncan - because he stayed in school like he promised his mother

Muggsy Bogues/Spud Webb - you have to enjoy short guys playing a tall guy game and doing it well. Plus, Muggsy's wife told the story about the kids in the neighborhood ringing the bell to see if Muggsy could come out to play.

For a coach - Lefty Driesell - he was a Duke guy and he enjoyed the Cameron atmosphere.

Kdogg
02-09-2016, 06:26 PM
A lot have been already mentioned but I'll add Matt Harpering. One of my favorite monuments from the ACC tournament was his final game in 1998. GTech was going to lose so Cremins pulled him before the buzzer. The entire Greensboro Coliseums gave him a standing ovulation. The conference was a closer knit community back before expansion started.

COYS
02-09-2016, 06:34 PM
This is a cool idea for a thread.

Greivis Vasquez definitely ranks up there for me. I didn't like him at first because, well, Maryland, but his unorthodox game and playful, competitive fire grew on me. I wasn't even upset about our loss to a Vasquez-led Maryland team in 2010 in the second to last game of the regular season. Vasquez made some really nice plays down the stretch while Jon had his worst game of what was a sensational season. I would even venture to say this particular loss to Maryland is the lease upset I've been about ANY Duke loss since I became a big time fan. I had faith in those guys and knew we'd make a run in the tourney. It wasn't so bad letting Vasquez and Maryland share the regular season crown with us . . . especially since we went on to get the far more valuable ACCT and NCAAT crowns. I figure that any player who actually made me not cringe at the sight of Maryland fans celebrating a victory over Duke must be pretty dang likable.

Maybe it's from growing up in the ATL area, but I also really liked the 2004 GaTech team with Jarret Jack and BJ Elder. Even though it was futile, I was pulling hard for them to beat UCONN in the title game in '04. It wasn't a particularly memorable game, but I doubt I've ever been as upset when a non-Duke college basketball team lost save for Illinois in 2005 and Michigan State in 2009 (I was too young to be upset in '93).

The obvious choice for me would be Duncan, except that I appreciate him more for his NBA career. When the Spurs drafted him, I began following them as my second favorite team behind the Hawks. I still root for Duke guys to do well in the league, obviously, but Duncan is just a really incredible talent, from college all the way 'til now (he's still 2nd in the league in defensive win shares despite being ancient by NBA standards!).

If I had to pick an absolute favorite, though, it would be Julius Hodge. Maybe it's that Duke and State fans can unite in their hatred for UNC (even if it's an uneasy alliance at times), but Hodge was fun to watch on the court and pretty funny off the court, too. He played on some good State teams and as long as they weren't playing Duke, I always wanted State to win games when he was playing.

Wish I had a better memory of some of the legends others are mentioning. It's harder to develop such strong feelings in the current ACC setup, though. 15 teams is a lot. Between the increased rate of early entry and the fact that we only play a lot of teams once per season, I feel like I don't get to know opposing teams' players in quite the same way. I agree with the poster who mentioned Cat Barber, though. He is fun to watch. And I'm glad we got State home and away, just as it should be every season. I know the conference needed to evolve or die, but the round-robins of old were certainly fun. It also made me care more about the games of other ACC teams because with everyone playing each other twice, conference record meant more and you could draw better comparisons between players and teams.

brevity
02-09-2016, 06:44 PM
A lot have been already mentioned but I'll add Matt Harpering. One of my favorite monuments from the ACC tournament was his final game in 1998. GTech was going to lose so Cremins pulled him before the buzzer. The entire Greensboro Coliseums gave him a standing ovulation. The conference was a closer knit community back before expansion started.

Very close, apparently.

Sports medicine is not my area of expertise. How does this work?

Tripping William
02-09-2016, 06:48 PM
Very close, apparently.

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on brevity again.

Now I must clean spewed beer off my iPhone.

DUKIE V(A)
02-09-2016, 06:49 PM
Carolina- Hubert Davis
State- Thurl Bailey
Wake- Childress
Clemson- Dale Davis
Maryland- Walt Williams
Georgia Tech- Dennis Scott
Virginia- Stith

wilson
02-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Very close, apparently.

Sports medicine is not my area of expertise. How does this work?Something like this I think?

gurufrisbee
02-09-2016, 07:42 PM
Jarrett Jack

Dennis Scott

Joe Harris

Shane Larkin

Randolph Childress

Walt Williams

There may be others, but none of them are from Chapel Hill. Some things just never happen.

Edouble
02-09-2016, 07:44 PM
I always liked to watch Ademola Okulaja, but I guess that's because I'm kinda kinky.

royalblue
02-09-2016, 08:34 PM
With out question Lang and Capel leading the 2002 heels to an unforgettable 8-20 season:)

Tripping William
02-09-2016, 08:39 PM
With out question Lang and Capel leading the 2002 heels to an unforgettable 8-20 season:)

To be clear, that's Kris and Jason. I wouldn't want them to be confused with Antonio and Jeff (which is to say, the guys who got to the 1994 title game).

JNort
02-09-2016, 08:44 PM
I'm am honestly surprised by how many people like Greivis. He might be my most hated all time lmao! That list is for another day though and features waaay too many light blue guys.

I got a bunch I like: Cat Barber, Lorenzo Brown, TJ Warren, CJ Leslie, PJ Hairston, Wayne Ellington, Travis Mckie (sp?), Ish Smith, Jeff Teague, Chris Paul, Joe Harris, Gbinije, CJ Fair, Shane Larkin

Other guys who left the ACC: Tyler Lewis, Rodney Purvis, Ryan Harrow

BobbyFan
02-09-2016, 08:56 PM
Curtis Staples
Walt Williams
George Lynch
Greg Buckner

OldPhiKap
02-09-2016, 09:18 PM
I'm am honestly surprised by how many people like Greivis. He might be my most hated all time lmao! That list is for another day though and features waaay too many light blue guys.

I got a bunch I like: Cat Barber, Lorenzo Brown, TJ Warren, CJ Leslie, PJ Hairston, Wayne Ellington, Travis Mckie (sp?), Ish Smith, Jeff Teague, Chris Paul, Joe Harris, Gbinije, CJ Fair, Shane Larkin

Other guys who left the ACC: Tyler Lewis, Rodney Purvis, Ryan Harrow

I am surprised too, put me in your camp.

Most hated would be -- Tom Sheehey, Makthar N'Diaye, Deron Washington. In that order.

duke blue brewcrew
02-09-2016, 09:31 PM
I am surprised too, put me in your camp.

Most hated would be -- Tom Sheehey, Makthar N'Diaye, Deron Washington. In that order.

I'm with you guys on Greivis and I would say the same about Hodge. Most hated - Easily #1 for me is Psycho T. A close second is Makhtar Ndaiye. Rounding out my Top 3 - Queen Rice.

OldPhiKap
02-09-2016, 09:40 PM
I'm with you guys on Greivis and I would say the same about Hodge. Most hated - Easily #1 for me is Psycho T. A close second is Makhtar Ndaiye. Rounding out my Top 3 - Queen Rice.

I have no problem with a top-three list of most hated being all heels.

JNort
02-09-2016, 09:57 PM

Yeah everyone was saying they like Hodge and my thought was "must be a different one" I didn't hate him but man I didn't like him either

Scorp4me
02-09-2016, 10:19 PM
Hubert Davis. Ironically enough there was an old college basketball video game and if you played as Carolina (which I never did) the player with Hubert Davis's number never missed. From like anywhere! It was kind of like JJ in real life lol.

Tom B.
02-09-2016, 10:25 PM
This (http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jphollow/julius.html) alone made me a Julius Hodge fan.

Mike Corey
02-09-2016, 10:28 PM
I love this thread.

Chris Corchiani, N.C. State
Brandon Wright, UNC
Juan Dixon, Maryland
Tim Duncan, Wake Forest
Malcolm Mackey, Georgia Tech

mapei
02-09-2016, 10:52 PM
Antawn Jamison.

devildeac
02-09-2016, 10:52 PM
A lot have been already mentioned but I'll add Matt Harpering. One of my favorite monuments from the ACC tournament was his final game in 1998. GTech was going to lose so Cremins pulled him before the buzzer. The entire Greensboro Coliseums gave him a standing ovulation . The conference was a closer knit community back before expansion started.

Very close, apparently.

On a hunch, I guessed that someone would be egged on my this great misspelling and it would be fertile ground from its conception.

devildeac
02-09-2016, 10:55 PM

To be clear, that's Kris and Jason. I wouldn't want them to be confused with Antonio and Jeff (which is to say, the guys who got to the 1994 title game).

Jeff was better: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

KandG
02-10-2016, 12:06 AM
Tim Duncan, Randolph Childress, Ralph Sampson, Bryant Stith, George Lynch, James Worthy, Juan Dixon, Rodney Monroe, Chris Corchiani, Toney Douglas, Justin Anderson.

Also, Nik Caner-Medley and Luke Schenscher.

(OK, kidding about the last two)

NSDukeFan
02-10-2016, 05:55 AM
Definitely Juan Dixon. Rodney Monroe from N.C. St. Bryant Stith from U.Va. Dennis Scott and Kenny Anderson from Tech. Rodney Rogers, Tim Duncan and Randolph Childress from Wake.

I agree almost completely with this list. The one guy I haven't seen mentioned yet that I would add is James Forrest from Georgia Tech as he was strong, athletic and I believe hit a buzzer beater in the NCAAT one year.

jv001
02-10-2016, 07:20 AM
I'll go with David Thompson, Fire & Ice, Thurl Bailey and Hodge from NC State, Bobby Jones, Walter Davis, Jeff Lamp, Childress from Wake and Dixon from the Terps. GoDuke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Julius Hodge was a really good player and a refreshing personality. Fun kid who seemed to not take himself too seriously.

Good names, everyone. Thanks for sticking to the spirit of the thread.

Kdogg
02-10-2016, 08:37 AM
Very close, apparently.

Damn auto correct. I'm old and don't think I will ever get use to typing on a phone.

markbdevil
02-10-2016, 08:46 AM
Wally Walker and Marc Ivaroni

flyingdutchdevil
02-10-2016, 08:55 AM
"I like you cus you have talent" - Chris Paul
"I like you cus you are atypical for how I view your program" - Marcus Paige
"I like you cus you played well against Duke" - Grevis Vasquez (sp?)
"I like you cus you made me laugh" - Julius Hodge
"I like you cus I admire your program" - Sean Singleton
"I like you cus I wish you were a Duke player" - Malcolm Brogdon

Edouble
02-10-2016, 09:54 AM
In all seriousness, my list is:

Juan Dixon
Antawn Jamison
Jarrett Jack
Julius Hodge
Randolph Childress
Pat Connaughton

elvis14
02-10-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm sure I'll add to this list but:

UVa - Ralph Sampson, Bryant Stith
UMD - Len Bias, Greivis Vasquez
WF - Tim Duncan, Rodney Rogers, Chris Paul
GT - Kenny Anderson, Dennis Scott, John Sally, Mark Price
NCSU - Chris Corchiani, Julias Hodge, Tom Gugliotta
FSU - Sam Cassell, Bobby Sura
Clemson - Dale Davis, Elden Campbell, Marion Cash
UNCheat -

My first thoguht when I saw this thread was Vasquez because I knew he'd be hated but he played well and mixed it up with the Crazies. I grew up in Virginia and loved watching Sampson. Bias, sigh, what could have been. He was incredible. I loved Kenny Anderson at GT. His ball handling was so much fun to watch. Gugliotta was probably my favorite State player. Loved the way he went from being a nobody to being great by his senior year. Cassell, that little alien played so much better than it looked like he would and Sura was just fun to watch. I went to Grad School at Clemson when those 3 guys were there. UNCheat - I hope every player from UNC misses every shot they take every time in every game they play NCAA, NBA, XBox, playground HORSE, pop-a-shot, throwing trash in the trash can, etc. screw those cheating !%#$s.

rasputin
02-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Buck Williams
Tim Duncan

1999ballboy
02-10-2016, 10:52 AM
I've gotta mention Brice Johnson here. He has some of the best and most underrated post skills I've seen. If I were a Heels fan I'd have been cursing Roy for three years watching him over-rotate Johnson with far less talented big men.

scottdude8
02-10-2016, 10:59 AM
Up until the moment we played them in the final last year, I'd always loved Frank the Tank... and also, whoever the interchangeable 7-foot tall fundamentally sound but athletically challenged center Wisconsin has in a given year, since they almost ALWAYS have one. In general Wisconsin is always my second favorite B10 team after Michigan.

JNort
02-10-2016, 11:19 AM
I've gotta mention Brice Johnson here. He has some of the best and most underrated post skills I've seen. If I were a Heels fan I'd have been cursing Roy for three years watching him over-rotate Johnson with far less talented big men.

Nobody misuses talent like Roy. Bruce yells too much for me though.

wavedukefan70s
02-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Corchiani from state.kenny Anderson from tech.duncan .i really liked eric montross.guy played tough.

kAzE
02-10-2016, 11:57 AM
I can't help but like Brice Johnson. I've always thought of him as a more important (and frankly more talented) player than Paige, and never understood the media love fest for Paige. He's consistently the most overrated player in the country. I believe he was a preseason 1st team AA last year? He's NOT THAT GOOD. The first time I saw Johnson play even as a freshman, I said to myself "Wow, that guy is a monster rebounder, with amazing quickness and offensive skill for his size. If he ever bulks up, he'd be the best big man in the ACC."

Now he's probably the front runner for ACC POY. Good for Brice, bad for us.

sagegrouse
02-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Too busy to build an encyclopedia, but for UNC I would mention not only Antawn Jamison but also Brad Daugherty (he gets major chops for being a NASCAR broadcaster).

jacone21
02-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Very close, apparently.

It's really just a matter of timing.

I liked Dixon and Blake. I don't think we'll ever see sustained back and forth battles like Duke/UMD had from 2000 through 2002 again. Too many guys leave now.

Neals384
02-10-2016, 12:39 PM

Paige was certainly clutch last night, nailing three out of four free throws in the final seconds to ice the comeback against the tough and determined Eagles. :cool:

wsb3
02-10-2016, 12:57 PM
PACK- really enjoyed the back court of Monroe, Corchiani, David Thompson, TJ Warren
Heels- so respected Phil Ford..I also like Paige. Brad Daugherty
WF Childress for sure.. Charlie Davis, Duncan,
UVA Jeff Lamp, Brian Stith,
Clemson, Butch Zatezalo, Larry Nance, Greg Buckner
Terps Bias, Dixon,
GT Price, Dalrymple, Scott.. the Lethal Weapon 3 squad was one of my favorite non Duke teams to watch.

I am sure I left many out..

Albert
02-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Rasheed Sulaimon.

wsb3
02-10-2016, 01:00 PM
I don't think we'll ever see sustained back and forth battles like Duke/UMD had from 2000 through 2002 again. Too many guys leave now.

Those were some great battles. This past summer when I was laid up from ankle surgery I watched a lot of Duke games & watched all the ones Duke won during that period. Great games.

Tripping William
02-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Hope these guys "count":

Dell Curry (VPISU): For obvious familial reasons

Danya Abrams (BC): Because March Madness 1994

MChambers
02-10-2016, 01:29 PM
Worthy, Stith, Duncan, as others have said. Rodney Rogers. And, believe it or not, before I attended Duke, Len Elmore. I don't feel that way about Len any more.

burnspbesq
02-10-2016, 02:05 PM
Interesting that we've made it to page 4 and no one has mentioned John Lucas yet.

Listen to Quants
02-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Interesting that we've made it to page 4 and no one has mentioned John Lucas yet.

Demographics, I'd guess. Fine tennis player. I'm missing the mentions of Phil Ford. Talk about willing to have the ball in his hands at the end of games :) He really did seem to play with joy.

mark34
02-10-2016, 02:59 PM
Dennis Scott... he always enjoyed the Cameron crowd before the game.

wilson
02-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Dennis Scott... he always enjoyed the Cameron crowd before the game....and the Dope Shop cuisine.

devildeac
02-10-2016, 03:16 PM
To name a few:

WFU-Childress, Rogers
NCSU-Monroe, Corchiani Sr, Gugliotta
Clemson-Rollins, Wise
GT-Scott, Price
Md-Dixon
UVa-Lamp, Stith
Cheaters-[redacted]
F$U-I'll get back to you

Not sure there are any with some of the Big East refugees that I've really liked.

Reilly
02-10-2016, 04:06 PM
"I like you cus ....

Lefty did TV color commentary after Maryland and before JMU. A friend liked to imitate how, one time doing a UNC game, he said in his drawl "Ah like dat Chilcutt".

Indoor66
02-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Loved me some Fire & Ice, Stith, Duncan, Bob Bennet over at the Dump, Cunningham, Thompson, Mugsy, Dixon, Dennis Scott.

Actually there are too many to list. We have seen a lot of great players who were likable. I have been fortunate enough to know a number of guys from many schools and most of them are great guys. Our loyalties tend to shade our judgment about these young men. Most are quality people - it's just that some made some poor choices on attending school. :p

Doria
02-10-2016, 04:20 PM
I agree with a lot of the other posts' choices above, and some of them brought back memories I'd all but forgotten.

For me, of particular note (though not with particular organization):

UNC: Worthy, Warren Martin (not a good player, but I really liked him for some reason)
NCSU: Monroe, TJ Warren
Wake: Childress, Bogues, Duncan
GT: Dennis Scott (also had a great historical nickname)
MD: Bias
UVA: Sampson
FSU: Sam Cassell (gets the nod solely for the original "wine and cheese crowd" assessment of the Dean Dome)
Clemson: Uh... I'm sure they've had players I've liked and/or respected, but man, none of coming to mind for me this afternoon.

Fun topic!

Mike Corey
02-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Good call on Dennis Scott (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSKT452u_GI).

Indoor66
02-10-2016, 04:28 PM

A fine memory rekindled. Thanks for posting.

brevity
02-10-2016, 04:55 PM

A fine memory rekindled. Thanks for posting.

Karl Brown sighting! Later he tried out for a pro career... with the Denver Broncos.

I've been thinking a lot about that 1989-1990 Georgia Tech team (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/georgia-tech/1990.html) ever since Amile Jefferson got injured. They got to the Final Four with six players on their roster (including two freshmen and two junior college transfers) getting 93% of the minutes. Granted, three of those six players averaged over 20 points a game each, and together they scored almost 78% of their team's points. But still, Six was Enough.

Bonus article here (http://articles.dailypress.com/1990-03-31/sports/9003300430_1_johnny-mcneil-yellow-jackets-georgia-tech) about the non-lethal three of Brown, Malcolm Mackey, and Johnny McNeil, written just before their 9-point semifinal loss (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1990-03-31-georgia-tech.html) to UNLV. Maybe a game that needs to be discussed more, considering how its outcome wildly affected Duke history.

MChambers
02-10-2016, 05:12 PM
How could you not like David Thompson (if you were a hoops fan when he played)? I should have listed him earlier. Loved it when State beat UCLA.

TruBlu
02-10-2016, 06:55 PM
I agree with a lot of the other posts' choices above, and some of them brought back memories I'd all but forgotten.

For me, of particular note (though not with particular organization):

UNC: Worthy, Warren Martin (not a good player, but I really liked him for some reason)

Fun topic!

Mr. Martin held the (unofficial) title for most un-called walks in all of college basketball, until the record was shattered by Hanstravel.

His travels prompted the Crazies to repeatedly chant "Watch Warren walk! Watch Warren walk!" at the refs during his visits to Cameron.

dukejim1
02-10-2016, 07:07 PM
My all UNC team:

Jamison
Jones
Lynch
Scott
Phelps

I always felt this group would have been good blue devils.

uh_no
02-10-2016, 07:16 PM
gary,
record

kmspeaks
02-10-2016, 08:38 PM
I've always appreciated these 2 points from Tyler Zeller (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXjfhjlYmVQ)

akg4y
02-10-2016, 09:19 PM
Man that 1990 GA Tech team was fun to watch... I was in middle school in Atlanta at the time and had to keep up with half of the games on the radio because games werent so prevalent on TV at the time. They had so many comebacks and their Final 4 run was just unbelievable. Scott, Anderson & Oliver.

burnspbesq
02-10-2016, 11:15 PM
Mike O'Koren, the Jerseyest Jersey Guy in ACC history. Hurley and Spanarkel together weren't that Jersey.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-10-2016, 11:36 PM
My List:

GT's Lethal Weapon 3
State's Fire & Ice
Wake in the 90's with Rodgers/Childress/Duncan

Currently, though, I will say I do enjoy watching Cat Barber. Dude gives MAXIMUM effort every play.

fuse
02-11-2016, 07:39 AM
Without repeating a lot of the above (I'll admit to being surprised by a few inclusions), Horace and Harvey Grant at Clemson.

I'm drawing a blank on the name (Chris Hobbs, I think?) that was a kid in Chapel Hill Duke recruited who had some knee issues, ended up at Clemson. Always played like a beast against Duke.

Great thread.

sagegrouse
02-11-2016, 08:43 AM
Karl Brown sighting! Later he tried out for a pro career... with the Denver Broncos.

I've been thinking a lot about that 1989-1990 Georgia Tech team (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/georgia-tech/1990.html) ever since Amile Jefferson got injured. They got to the Final Four with six players on their roster (including two freshmen and two junior college transfers) getting 93% of the minutes. Granted, three of those six players averaged over 20 points a game each, and together they scored almost 78% of their team's points. But still, Six was Enough.

Bonus article here (http://articles.dailypress.com/1990-03-31/sports/9003300430_1_johnny-mcneil-yellow-jackets-georgia-tech) about the non-lethal three of Brown, Malcolm Mackey, and Johnny McNeil, written just before their 9-point semifinal loss (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1990-03-31-georgia-tech.html) to UNLV. Maybe a game that needs to be discussed more, considering how its outcome wildly affected Duke history.

I stayed in the hotel with the Georgia Tech team in Denver for the Final Four that year. The fans were really nice and were pulling for Duke against Arkansas and UNLV.

MCFinARL
02-11-2016, 08:48 AM
Buck Williams
Tim Duncan

Glad to see Buck Williams here--that was the one I was planning to add. I also liked Greg Manning on that Md. team, though he wasn't as good a player, for sure.

Agree with many of the players mentioned so far. I have personal soft spots especially for Juan Dixon and Muggsy Bogues, and more recently I like Marcus Paige (can't help it, he really does seem like a good guy) and Cat Barber, who is just fun to watch.

David Thompson was, of course, an all-time great, but I want to throw in his sidekick, Monte Towe. A role model for the height-challenged!

Tom B.
02-11-2016, 11:00 AM

Better quality video here. (https://youtu.be/vLgeRVj10VM?t=264)

That 1989-90 Georgia Tech team was just impossible not to like. They were fun to watch, and how could anyone not like Cremins?

Tom B.
02-11-2016, 11:03 AM
The one guy I haven't seen mentioned yet that I would add is James Forrest from Georgia Tech as he was strong, athletic and I believe hit a buzzer beater in the NCAAT one year.

Yep, he hit a buzzer-beater in the second round of the 1992 Tournament to upset George Raveling's Southern Cal team with Harold Miner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9coEYtnDeA

Dukehky
02-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Sean Singletary is my favorite non-Duke ACC player of all time.

I really like this Buddy Hield kid too. He's hard to root against.

1999ballboy
02-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Sean Singletary is my favorite non-Duke ACC player of all time.

I liked Singletary too, but not as much as I liked watching Sean Dockery shut him down on defense. Singletary was great, but Dock always seemed to give him trouble.

Tom B.
02-11-2016, 12:02 PM
I liked Singletary too, but not as much as I liked watching Sean Dockery shut him down on defense. Singletary was great, but Dock always seemed to give him trouble.

Sean Singletary hit a ridiculous, one-handed, falling-down-backwards shot to beat Duke in 2007. Nothing you can do after that but tip your cap to the man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo4tgWYRpPg

Devilwin
02-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Wally Walker and Barry Parkhill of UVA. Vasco Emptimov and Kevin Salvadori of UNC.
Met all these boys at one time or another and they were all good fellas. Still see Vasco frequently, he's on my Fedex Route in King.

camion
05-09-2021, 10:13 AM
I hadn't heard this story before. Muggsy wrestling J.R. Reid (https://youtu.be/3VtdVPrjAIE?t=614).

You know who won. :)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-09-2021, 11:07 AM
Nice to see this thread pop back up again! Anyone in the last five years really grab anyone's attention/interest?

chrishoke
05-09-2021, 11:26 AM
I hadn't heard this story before. Muggsy wrestling J.R. Reid (https://youtu.be/3VtdVPrjAIE?t=614).

You know who won. :)

Terrific. I love Mugsy.

camion
05-09-2021, 11:41 AM
Nice to see this thread pop back up again! Anyone in the last five years really grab anyone's attention/interest?

This guy (https://ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-baskbl/roster/season/2020-21/jose-alvarado/) got my attention more than any other opposing player in the league last year. I detested him when we played Georgia Tech and I loved to watch what he did to other teams when Tech was playing someone else.

Do I really have to name him explicitly? Don't you know?

BlueDevilTommy
05-09-2021, 12:24 PM

Coby White. Anyone who wanted to play for Duke but didn't get an offer, I tend to like.

jimmymax
05-09-2021, 11:02 PM
UNC or MD guys? That's a "no" from me, dog. I am on board with Bobby Sura, Corchiani & Monroe, Julius Hodge, Mark Price & Dennis Scott, Bryant Stith, Mugsy & Rodney. Can't recall any faves from Clemson...

roywhite
05-09-2021, 11:40 PM

Malcolm Brogdon and DeAndre Hunter of UVa were good players and seemed like good guys.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-09-2021, 11:49 PM
Malcolm Brogdon and DeAndre Hunter of UVa were good players and seemed like good guys.

Agreed. I just read an article in a recent issue of Sports Illustrated (yes, I still read Sports Illustrated in print) about Brogdon and he seems like a really good guy. And I enjoyed watching him play at UVA.

heyman25
05-09-2021, 11:59 PM
A few from decades ago. David Thompson was best individual player I saw at Cameron. 6'4 from Shelby, NC. Game winning block of Bill Walton in NCAA game in Greensboro. I was impressed by Skip Wise from Clemson. Bob Sura from Florida State.Tim Duncan and Randolph Childress from Wake Forest. Bobby Jones from Charlotte may be one of the few from UNC that got my respect. As a kid seeing the Art Heyman senior team,I also thought Billy the Kid Cunningham was a great player.Respected John Lucas but thought he was kind of a jerk at Maryland. Played doubles against him in a Durham High/Hillside High tennis match.Tom McMillen of Maryland SI cover High School lived up to his hype.John Roche from South Carolina put on quite a show with Tom Owens against Duke who had DeVenzio and Randy Denton.Frank McGuire got a lot of boos.

heyman25
05-10-2021, 12:12 AM
Wally Walker and Barry Parkhill of UVA. Vasco Emptimov and Kevin Salvadori of UNC.
Met all these boys at one time or another and they were all good fellas. Still see Vasco frequently, he's on my Fedex Route in King.

I would add Wally Walker and Barry Parkhill to my earlier post. Saw them at either Duke Indoor Stadium or renamed Cameron. I did meet Tommy LeGarde and Mitch Kupchak working at The Record Bar in South Square. They were polite customers. Kupchak must be happy that Hornets may be making the Playoffs. Miles Bridges and LaMelo Ball may be a great foundation for Charlotte.

gep
05-10-2021, 01:10 AM
I liked Juan Dixon...

jv001
05-10-2021, 08:02 AM
Ok, I liked Jeff Lamp, Wally Walker, Randolph Childress(you know why), David Thompson, Fire & Ice, and Bobby Cremins. As for uncheat players, I have to admit I liked/respected; Walter Davis, Bobby Jones, Billy Cunningham and York Larese.

GoDuke!

wsb3
05-10-2021, 08:28 AM
Neat thread. Lamp, Parkhill, Fire & Ice, GT Lethal weapon 3, Juan Dixon, (lot of respect for him) I remember pulling for Tim Duncan not to go pro. Childress as well. Charlie Davis old wake days.. Butch Zatezalo Clemson. Bobby Cremins..

elvis14
05-10-2021, 10:13 AM

In the NBA, I really like watching Brogdon and Joe Harris. Nice to see some of the UVa stuff translate.

I know he's not obscure (he's about as mainstream as you can get) but he's not a Duke player....Steph Curry is just fun to watch. I love that he's taken his game to another level this year even though the GSW have no chance of winning (roster wasn't good enough and then they had injuries). I know he's hate here because of his mouth/antics but I like Draymond Green as well....despite his personality his game is just great (defense and passing). Luka, Jokic, Giannis are worth the price of admission - great scoring, passing, court awareness, etc. I'm really impressed with the way Julius Randle has gotten himself in great shape and improved his game by a lot this season! Ja Morant is fun to watch too!

I really mostly follow Duke guys in the NBA. Great to see Grayson have a good season. Hope JJ can get healthy and finish strong with the Mavs. Zion has been worth watching every time I see him (he is truly special), etc. etc. (you all know who they are). One good thing about the One and Done model is how many guys we have on NBA rosters to follow (I'd still like the One and Done to go away but at least there's ONE positive thing about it).

FerryFor50
05-10-2021, 10:19 AM
I actually liked Antawn Jamison... such great touch around the basket and just went about his business.

elvis14
05-10-2021, 10:30 AM
I actually liked Antawn Jamison... such great touch around the basket and just went about his business.

I respected his game but I can't go as far as 'liked' with any UNCheat player.

TinkandGman
05-10-2021, 01:19 PM
Pretty much that whole 1983 Cardiac Pack.

Charles Shackleford because he was amphibious.

Hawkeye Whitney.

Harold Deane.

Exree Hipp.

Albert King.

mailman2927
05-10-2021, 02:12 PM
Kyle Guy. Was a poor man's J.J.

MCFinARL
05-10-2021, 10:44 PM
I liked Juan Dixon...

I loved Juan Dixon, and Lonnie Baxter too.

Going back to earlier times, I went to a game in Cole Field House in 1979 where Albert King, Buck Williams, Greg Manning et al. edged the Gminski/Spanarkel/Banks/Dennard Duke team in a thriller. That was early days for me as a Duke fan, and while I liked that Duke team, I loved the Maryland team, and especially Buck Williams. A real blue collar, hard working basketball player.

EDIT: Wow, just looked over the older part of this thread and realized I am repeating things I said 5 years ago....not sure how to react to that.

CameronBornAndBred
05-11-2021, 12:00 AM
EDIT: Wow, just looked over the older part of this thread and realized I am repeating things I said 5 years ago...not sure how to react to that.

I tuned in merely because I never noticed how impressive it is when Mtn. Devil starts a thread.

Started by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15, 02-09-2016 05:06 PM More numbers than letters. Nice!

CameronBornAndBred
05-11-2021, 12:11 AM
He wore the wrong shade of blue, but I was always floored by Jerry Stackhouse.

Even more admirable is knowing that he came out of Kinston, which is a very hard town for an AA kid to grow up in, even more so back in the 80s/90s. And while we all jump all over the cheaters for being cheaters, he did follow up and get his degree in '99 after leaving with only 2 years under his belt in '95.

I still can't shake that windmill dunk in Cameron.

CameronDuke
05-11-2021, 06:26 AM
Joe Harris

Malcolm Brogdon

Jose Alvarado

wsb3
05-11-2021, 07:42 AM
Len Bias...

bundabergdevil
05-11-2021, 07:44 AM
I liked Juan Dixon...

He’s coaching now at Coppin State in Baltimore. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up on the Terps bench one day.

flyingdutchdevil
05-11-2021, 08:21 AM
Joe Harris

Malcolm Brogdon

Jose Alvarado

Seconded.

I actually like nearly anyone of the players from UVa. Hard working, patient, defense-minded...

OldPhiKap
05-11-2021, 08:42 AM
Len Bias...

A one-man wrecking crew. His last game in Cameron is one I will never forget.

Rich
05-11-2021, 08:52 AM
Len Bias...

A one-man wrecking crew. His last game in Cameron is one I will never forget.

In case the young 'uns need a refresher

https://youtu.be/7vTBhW2bVe4

Rich
05-11-2021, 09:05 AM

Is it me or is that video starting to look like the footage of the Brooklyn Dodgers that my dad used to make me watch?

OldPhiKap
05-11-2021, 09:07 AM

And we had one of the top defenses in the country that year.

Down the stretch of the season, he single-handedly beat UNC to pull them back to where we could win the regular season by beating the Heels on Senior Day (Dawkins. Alarie, Bilas, Hendu)

Bias defined Beast Mode to me.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-11-2021, 09:18 AM
I tuned in merely because I never noticed how impressive it is when Mtn. Devil starts a thread.

More numbers than letters. Nice!

Well golly. Thanks. I try to start positive threads in the offseason.

Also, I'm eager add even more numbers, ASAP.

roywhite
05-11-2021, 11:33 AM

Bias scored 41 in that one, and the final score was Duke 80 -- Maryland 68. Bias was extremely strong and fast, yet also had a great shooting touch (better than 86% FT).
On the season, Keith Gatlin was the only other Maryland player who averaged double figures in scoring.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/maryland/1986.html

FerryFor50
05-11-2021, 12:42 PM
Joe Harris

Malcolm Brogdon

Jose Alvarado

Really hated Alvarado. Also hated Vazquez, and really, any player that constantly woofed at other players. Sure they played hard, but they also constantly yapped.

CameronDuke
05-11-2021, 12:57 PM
Really hated Alvarado. Also hated Vazquez, and really, any player that constantly woofed at other players. Sure they played hard, but they also constantly yapped.

Makes sense, you must have hated JJ and Laettner too, then :)

I didn’t care for Vasquez but that was more of a Maryland thing. Alvarado was entertaining to me, played with a bravado and swagger from Brooklyn that I think served himself and his team well. I’m fine with the yapping if you can back it up and he did. It doesn’t bother me that much. I didn’t think he crossed the line very much where I would consider him a poor sport like many considered Grayson and Laettner.

FerryFor50
05-11-2021, 01:04 PM
Makes sense, you must have hated JJ and Laettner too, then :)

I didn’t care for Vasquez but that was more of a Maryland thing. Alvarado was entertaining to me, played with a bravado and swagger from Brooklyn that I think served himself and his team well. I’m fine with the yapping if you can back it up and he did. It doesn’t bother me that much. I didn’t think he crossed the line very much where I would consider him a poor sport like many considered Grayson and Laettner.

Didn't hate JJ and Laettner (since they were Duke players), but they weren't my favorites either. :)

CameronDuke
05-11-2021, 01:04 PM
I see some UVa guys mentioned on here. I mentioned Harris and Brogdon and some others mentioned Guy.

It leads me to ask, has UVa under Tony Bennett really had anyone that people hated or was simply unlikable, for any reason such as on court behavior, poor sportsmanship (tripping other players, whining to ref, fighting, trash talking, etc.)? I can’t think of any. They are about as clean in terms of player likability as you’ll find to me. Maybe Ty Jerome whined to the ref too much for some people? Maybe London Perrantes held his follow through on made jump shots too long? Those are probably a bit of a stretch and not egregious reasons to dislike someone. They have really had some good dudes over the years. In addition to the aforementioned Brogdon, Harris, Hunter, and Guy, other good guys I enjoyed watching were Justin Anderson, Devon Hall, Anthony Gill, Isaiah Wilkins, Jack Salt, Jay Huff, etc.

FerryFor50
05-11-2021, 01:10 PM
I see some UVa guys mentioned on here. I mentioned Harris and Brogdon and some others mentioned Guy.

It leads me to ask, has UVa under Tony Bennett really had anyone that people hated or was simply unlikable, for any reason such as on court behavior, poor sportsmanship (tripping other players, whining to ref, fighting, trash talking, etc.)? I can’t think of any. They are about as clean in terms of player likability as you’ll find to me. Maybe Ty Jerome whined to the ref too much for some people? Maybe London Perrantes held his follow through on made jump shots too long? Those are probably a bit of a stretch and not egregious reasons to dislike someone. They have really had some good dudes over the years. In addition to the aforementioned Brogdon, Harris, Hunter, and Guy, other good guys I enjoyed watching were Justin Anderson, Devon Hall, Anthony Gill, Isaiah Wilkins, Jack Salt, Jay Huff, etc.

Ty Jerome, for sure.

Also didn't like Jay Huff because he woofed, hung on the rim after dunks, and was borderline dirty at times.

Didn't like Jack Salt because he got away with illegal screens constantly, but that's less his fault than the refs.

CameronDuke
05-11-2021, 01:14 PM
Ty Jerome, for sure.

Also didn't like Jay Huff because he woofed, hung on the rim after dunks, and was borderline dirty at times.

Didn't like Jack Salt because he got away with illegal screens constantly, but that's less his fault than the refs.

Yea, I could see the Jerome disdain. I personally thought he was a bit cocky and he flailed his arms at the ref too much for my taste when whistled for a foul. I wouldn’t say I disliked everything about his game and him but didn’t care for those behaviors. I liked Huff a lot for his skill set and versatility but he did talk trash from time to time after dunks. I think he dunked on Zion in 2019 at Cameron and then Zion returned the favor. Salt got away with a lot of illegal screens like you mentioned, I’ll admit that. They are a pesky bunch for sure defensively and the moving screens offensively kind of rub people the wrong way too.

mailman2927
05-11-2021, 01:44 PM
Bob Sura
Joe Smith
Tim Duncan
Mark Price

weezie
05-11-2021, 01:57 PM
I think this thread is too long.

I'm liking fewer and fewer other team players as it goes along.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-11-2021, 02:00 PM
Going back to my glory days in the mid-90s, I always kind of liked Rusty LaRue of Wake. He played significant minutes on the basketball team, QB on the football team and I think he briefly played baseball. And he seemed like a good guy.

jv001
05-11-2021, 05:18 PM
I really like Mr. Arnold Palmer, Wake Forest. Oh, wait he didn't play college basketball. :cool::cool:

GoDuke!

wilson
05-11-2021, 05:30 PM
UNC or MD guys? That's a "no" from me, dog. I am on board with Bobby Sura, Corchiani & Monroe, Julius Hodge, Mark Price & Dennis Scott, Bryant Stith, Mugsy & Rodney. Can't recall any faves from Clemson...I’d add Will Solomon to the list as a Clemson representative. Hell of a scorer on bad but entertaining and pesky Clemson teams.

Daddylawman
05-11-2021, 06:31 PM

I got to talk to him earlier that day (I was working in the athletic department) the guy was just amazing physically. Sad that this was only 5 months before he passed. I still believe he was the best college player Duke faced in my time there (yes, over Jordan). There's no way to be sure, but I'm betting that had he played in the NBA he'd be in the GOAT discussion.

On a separate note - I HATED Mark Price. Stole rookie of the year in 82-83 from Johnny D thanks to a 3 point arc that went inside the top of the key.

Skydog
05-11-2021, 07:09 PM
I got to talk to him earlier that day (I was working in the athletic department) the guy was just amazing physically. Sad that this was only 5 months before he passed. I still believe he was the best college player Duke faced in my time there (yes, over Jordan). There's no way to be sure, but I'm betting that had he played in the NBA he'd be in the GOAT discussion.

On a separate note - I HATED Mark Price. Stole rookie of the year in 82-83 from Johnny D thanks to a 3 point arc that went inside the top of the key.
I remember the moment they mentioned his passing like it was yesterday.* So sad.

*Probably better - since I don’t remember yesterday.

OldPhiKap
05-11-2021, 07:42 PM

Lenny Wirtz.

Triggered.

heyman25
05-11-2021, 08:58 PM

You did not see David Thompson the original sky walker. Bias was possibly as great,but Thompson was only 6'4. I agree it was tragic loss. I wanted to add Charlie Davis of Wake Forest to my list as well as Walter Davis. Hate Carolina but there were a lot of great players in the Dean era. I did like Burleson Tim Stoddard and Monte Towe on that championship team. Wish NC State could get back to their glory days.

heyman25
05-12-2021, 02:42 AM
More NC State players I remember liking.State -- Rodney Monroe, Chris Corchiani, Sidney Lowe, the late Thurl Bailey, Julius Hodge
Coaches #1 Lefty Driesell vaguely remember his Davidson stars. This guy would have gone to Duke if Bill Bradley and his Dad did not screw Vic Bubas, Fred Hetzel.Mike Malloy was another Davidson star. Coaches#2 Jim Valvano his violations were so minor compared to Gottfried or Sean Miller @ Arizona.
Bruce Buckley I believe was Clay Buckley's brother,so I give him a pass.
Photo of Jay and Clay
http://www.bruceedwardsfoundation.org/images/2008%20Photos/album/slides/IMG_0775.html