View Full Version : Sirk ruptures his achilles

FerryFor50
02-09-2016, 11:49 AM
https://twitter.com/laurakeeley/status/697099952435130368

:(

jjasper0729
02-09-2016, 11:50 AM
Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC
Huge blow for Duke football. Starting QB Thomas Sirk ruptured his Achilles' this AM. Surgery forthcoming

Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC
Sirk scheduled for surgery Wednesday AM. Ruptured left Achilles' this AM in team conditioning drills. Missed 2013 with right Achilles tear

nocilla
02-09-2016, 11:51 AM
It's Over...

Just kidding, sad for Sirk, but a great opportunity for Parker Boehme.

duke blue brewcrew
02-09-2016, 11:52 AM

OUCH!!! Get better fast Sirk, I'm sorry to hear this! Clearly this really hurts the QB depth. Now it comes down to can Boehme beat out Jones based on the rumors coming out of practice. Harris, I have to believe, will compete for time as well.

Doria
02-09-2016, 11:57 AM

Hope his surgery goes well, and best wishes for as speedy a recovery as possible. Feel terrible for him :(

DukieInKansas
02-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Rats! Wishing him quick and complete healing.

OldPhiKap
02-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Really hate to hear that. Here's to a full and quick recovery for a guy who has represented us well.

Isn't this the same injury he had three or so years ago?

jjasper0729
02-09-2016, 12:05 PM
Really hate to hear that. Here's to a full and quick recovery for a guy who has represented us well.

Isn't this the same injury he had three or so years ago?

Left achilles this time. Last time was the right

throatybeard
02-09-2016, 12:08 PM
a great opportunity for Parker Boehme.

I'm probably the only person who intentionally mispronounces this guy's name to match Puccini's most well-known work.

I reckon it doesn't amuse others, but there's a quiet solace in making yourself laugh internally.

Olympic Fan
02-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Terrible news for Thomas, who's already been through this before.

He would be eligible to apply for a sixth season as a hardship candidate -- he did voluntarily redshirt one year, but he also missed 2013 with his first Achilles injury. When you miss two years with injury you are usually awarded an extra year.

Not sure what Bruecrew is hearing about Jones. I didn't see or hear much difference between Jones and Harris in preseason (and it's hard to show much in-season, when the focus is on scout-team work). I think Boehme is the clearcut favorite to inherit the job.

I will be curious to see whether Nico Pierre, buried pretty deep on the depth chart at RB, moves back to QB.

Cut hinted on signing day that we may see celebrated WR recruit Scott Bracey running the Wildcat (or the Connette Package) at times.

jimsumner
02-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Ouch. A big, big loss.

One possible glimmer. Inasmuch as Sirk took a medical redshirt for his first Achilles injury, should he miss the entire 2016 season for another injury, the NCAA should look favorably on an application for a sixth year.

Kenny Anunike, Kelby Brown and Braxton Deaver were all granted sixth years. So, Duke should know how the paperwork goes.

But still. Sirk is a great guy who worked extremely hard to overcome this once and become a top-tier ACC quarterback. It's beyond cruel to ask him to do it again.

oldnavy
02-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Uggghhh...

It's always something! First T Sizzle, then Steve Smith Sr, now T. Sirk!! What the heck is up with the Achilles tears and my favorite football players???

Feel bad for Sirk.

Next man up!

jimsumner
02-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Uggghhh...

It's always something! First T Sizzle, then Steve Smith Sr, now T. Sirk!! What the heck is up with the Achilles tears and my favorite football players???

Feel bad for Sirk.

Next man up!

It happens with basketball players, to. An Achilles injury ended Gene Banks' career and turned Christian Laettner from an all-star to a role player. Elton Brand suffered one late in his career.

duke blue brewcrew
02-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Ouch. A big, big loss.

One possible glimmer. Inasmuch as Sirk took a medical redshirt for his first Achilles injury, should he miss the entire 2016 season for another injury, the NCAA should look favorably on an application for a sixth year.

Kenny Anunike, Kelby Brown and Braxton Deaver were all granted sixth years. So, Duke should know how the paperwork goes.

But still. Sirk is a great guy who worked extremely hard to overcome this once and become a top-tier ACC quarterback. It's beyond cruel to ask him to do it again.

Jim, To your point, and given the established depth behind Sirk, in addition to any potential recruits coming in between now and when Sirk would be physically ready to play again (crossing fingers for McCaffrey), what is the most sensible plan for Sirk at this point? Will he play for Duke again IYO?

Also, at the risk of sounding like a Smart-butt, should we add the obligatory FB: to the title of this thread so a basketball only person doesn't think Sirk is an injured BB recruit?

jimsumner
02-09-2016, 12:53 PM
Jim, To your point, and given the established depth behind Sirk, in addition to any potential recruits coming in between now and when Sirk would be physically ready to play again (crossing fingers for McCaffrey), what is the most sensible plan for Sirk at this point? Will he play for Duke again IYO?

Way too soon to tell.

But if Sirk's healthy, I can't imagine a true freshman QB beating out a healthy, sixth-year senior in 2017.

But that's a big if.

Note that Cut has redshirted every freshman QB he's had at Duke.

riverside6
02-09-2016, 12:55 PM
For those talking about Sirk getting another year of eligibilty, its worth noting that Terrel Hunt was recently denied a 6th year (http://www.scacchoops.com/syracuse-terrel-hunts-appeal-for-a-sixth-year-denied-by-ncaa) in a similar scenario. The key difference is Hunt's injury came in the first game of the season instead of the offseason.

CDu
02-09-2016, 12:59 PM
For those talking about Sirk getting another year of eligibilty, its worth noting that Terrel Hunt was recently denied a 6th year (http://www.scacchoops.com/syracuse-terrel-hunts-appeal-for-a-sixth-year-denied-by-ncaa) in a similar scenario. The key difference is Hunt's injury came in the first game of the season instead of the offseason.

It's actually doubly different. Both of Terrel Hunt's injuries came during the season. Sirk's injuries both came in the offseason. The NCAA is much less lenient in awarding extra years for guys who played in the season they were hurt.

CameronBornAndBred
02-09-2016, 01:06 PM
I was very much looking forward to a QB battle between Sirk and Boehme, and although I would have loved to see Boehme win it (I really liked what I saw from him this year, more than Sirk), I don't want to see the battle decided by injury. Regardless of who is on the field, we need a solid backup, and we had that in either QB.
Vibes for a full recovery.

SCMatt33
02-09-2016, 01:09 PM
It happens with basketball players, to. An Achilles injury ended Gene Banks' career and turned Christian Laettner from an all-star to a role player. Elton Brand suffered one late in his career.

It wasn't that late in Elton's career. I don't remember exactly but it was after leading the clippers to the second round in '06 but before signing with the sixers in '08. When the sixers signed him he was a career 20 and 10 guy (the only guy in the league besides Shaq with those numbers at the time). He was clearly never close to that again

MCFinARL
02-09-2016, 01:54 PM
So most of the posts in this thread seem to assume that Sirk will not be able to play next year. I know an Achilles rupture is a serious injury, but I don't know what a typical timeline is. Obviously he will miss spring football and presumably a lot of pre-season practice as well, which will hold him back in any case. But is there no chance he could be ready to play 6 months from now, when the season is starting up?

duke blue brewcrew
02-09-2016, 02:20 PM
So most of the posts in this thread seem to assume that Sirk will not be able to play next year. I know an Achilles rupture is a serious injury, but I don't know what a typical timeline is. Obviously he will miss spring football and presumably a lot of pre-season practice as well, which will hold him back in any case. But is there no chance he could be ready to play 6 months from now, when the season is starting up?

I'm basing my assumptions off of Sirk's last bout with a torn Achilles. It happened around a similar time of year, and he missed the entire season that followed. One can only ASSume that it will be a similar time table this time around as well.

camion
02-09-2016, 02:22 PM

It certainly happens. I ruptured my Achilles playing basketball at Duke and that ended my dream of being a power forward in the NBA. That and possibly being 5'7".

I really did rupture my left Achilles tendon playing pick-up basketball when I was in grad school at Duke in 1972. It took me a year to get back to reasonable athletic participation. Here's hoping for the best for Sirk.

uh_no
02-09-2016, 02:24 PM
I'm basing my assumptions off of Sirk's last bout with a torn Achilles. It happened around a similar time of year, and he missed the entire season that followed. One can only ASSume that it will be a similar time table this time around as well.

is it the same leg?

duke blue brewcrew
02-09-2016, 02:27 PM
is it the same leg?

No, he ruptured the other one this time around. So now he'll have two matching scars, one on each Achilles.

uh_no
02-09-2016, 02:30 PM
No, he ruptured the other one this time around. So now he'll have two matching scars, one on each Achilles.

badass.

jimsumner
02-09-2016, 03:02 PM
I wonder what Duke will do with Nico Pierre.

He was more highly regarded than Harris or Jones as a high-school QB.

He came out of last spring training third-team behind Sirk and Boehme and was moved to RB in the fall, after injuries to a bunch of RBs.

It was never clear to me if the move was primarily because of a need at RB or because he just didn't project as an ACC QB.

But the injured guys got healthy and Pierre didn't see the field much.

Duke returns Jela Duncan and Shaun Wilson at RB and both have played at a very high level. Joe Ajeigbe has been a solid special-teams player but hasn't made much of an impression at RB. But Duke brought in two RBs, Brittain Brown and Elijah Deveaux in this class. Brown looks like he could be really good, really quick and Cut has a history of playing true freshmen RBs.

So, it seems like Duke might need Pierre more at QB than RB. Unless, he's simply incapable of playing QB at an ACC level.

But if he's going to move back to QB, it makes sense to make that move this spring.

Acymetric
02-09-2016, 03:10 PM
I think it is much more likely that we keep Nico at RB and roll with either Boehme or Jones at QB (and unless one is vastly superior in the spring I would guess we'll see both get some game action early in the year). Interesting thing would be that our top two healthy QBs would seem to call for very different offensive schemes to suit their skills.

duke blue brewcrew
02-09-2016, 03:15 PM
I wonder what Duke will do with Nico Pierre.

He was more highly regarded than Harris or Jones as a high-school QB.

He came out of last spring training third-team behind Sirk and Boehme and was moved to RB in the fall, after injuries to a bunch of RBs.

It was never clear to me if the move was primarily because of a need at RB or because he just didn't project as an ACC QB.

But the injured guys got healthy and Pierre didn't see the field much.

Duke returns Jela Duncan and Shaun Wilson at RB and both have played at a very high level. Joe Ajeigbe has been a solid special-teams player but hasn't made much of an impression at RB. But Duke brought in two RBs, Brittain Brown and Elijah Deveaux in this class. Brown looks like he could be really good, really quick and Cut has a history of playing true freshmen RBs.

So, it seems like Duke might need Pierre more at QB than RB. Unless, he's simply incapable of playing QB at an ACC level.

But if he's going to move back to QB, it makes sense to make that move this spring.

Very good points Jim. Can you refresh my failing memory, who else was competing at the QB spot in spring ball last year? Jones and Harris had not made it to campus by then, correct? Or did Harris enroll early? Pierre seems to have a wealth of athleticism. I remember Cut having some nice things to say about Nico's efforts in the QB race, but who's to say that's not public coach speak. I'm not privy to what goes on at practice, or anywhere else in the Duke football program for that matter.

jv001
02-09-2016, 03:20 PM

In the case of Adam Wainwright, starting pitcher for my St. Louis Cardinals, it was like 5 or 6 months. But he's a baseball player and not a football player. Big difference in the physicality of the two games, plus Adam could only pitch out of the bullpen. GoDuke!

Olympic Fan
02-09-2016, 03:30 PM
I think it is much more likely that we keep Nico at RB and roll with either Boehme or Jones at QB (and unless one is vastly superior in the spring I would guess we'll see both get some game action early in the year). Interesting thing would be that our top two healthy QBs would seem to call for very different offensive schemes to suit their skills.

I repeat, I don't know where the love for Jones -- a recruited walk-on who was only awarded a scholarship at the last moment -- is coming from. He did some nice things in preseason, but so did Harris, who is MUCH more mobile -- a factor that Cut obviously prizes.

If you are going to talk about competition this spring, it starts with Boehme, then comes down to Harris and Jones (in that order) ... and maybe Pierre.

Don't know why you dismiss the Pierre move, Acymetric? I think Jim framed the question right -- did Pierre move because we needed immediate help at RB (we did) and he was unlikely to play at QB last season (true) or was the hidden reason for the move based on the staff's decision after his redshirt year that he was never going to be an effective QB? If the former, I very much expect him to return to QB ... if they latter, I would expect him to stay at RB.

PS This is a huge blow. I totally disagree with CameronBornandBread -- Sirk was significantly more talented and dangerous than Boehme. Injury aside, there was very little chance of Boeheme overtaking Sirk in preseason.

And as for the 2017 depth chart, I think even a stud like McCaffery would redshirt. As Jim noted, Cut almost always redshirts his freshman QB's (Brandon Connette was the exception -- he was needed for his running skills). He even redshirted Eli Manning at Ole Miss. He redshirted Sean Renfree.

The 2017 depth chart should start with 6th year senior Thomas Sirk, fifth-year senior Parker Boehme and third-year sophomores Quentin Harris and Daniel Jones ... and maybe fourth-year junior Nico Pierre. Hard to believe that even a four or five star QB would beat out that list as a true freshman.

Mike Corey
02-09-2016, 03:31 PM
Frustrating to hear this news for Sirk. He has represented Duke well, and achieved more on the field than we give him credit for. I hope surgery is a success, and that he is on the road to a full recovery soon. Really hate this for him.

As for the less important consideration of filling his shoes, I think this opens the door for a very interesting competition between Boehme and the guy who's been knocking everyone's socks off, Daniel Jones. This is obviously not the way either of them would like to inherit the position of starter, but big-time programs with great coaching absorb injuries to star players, year in and year out. Cut's managed that before, and his program will manage that again.

duke blue brewcrew
02-09-2016, 03:45 PM
I repeat, I don't know where the love for Jones -- a recruited walk-on who was only awarded a scholarship at the last moment -- is coming from. He did some nice things in preseason, but so did Harris, who is MUCH more mobile -- a factor that Cut obviously prizes.

If you are going to talk about competition this spring, it starts with Boehme, then comes down to Harris and Jones (in that order) ... and maybe Pierre.

Don't know why you dismiss the Pierre move, Acymetric? I think Jim framed the question right -- did Pierre move because we needed immediate help at RB (we did) and he was unlikely to play at QB last season (true) or was the hidden reason for the move based on the staff's decision after his redshirt year that he was never going to be an effective QB? If the former, I very much expect him to return to QB ... if they latter, I would expect him to stay at RB.

PS This is a huge blow. I totally disagree with CameronBornandBread -- Sirk was significantly more talented and dangerous than Boehme. Injury aside, there was very little chance of Boeheme overtaking Sirk in preseason.

And as for the 2017 depth chart, I think even a stud like McCaffery would redshirt. As Jim noted, Cut almost always redshirts his freshman QB's (Brandon Connette was the exception -- he was needed for his running skills). He even redshirted Eli Manning at Ole Miss. He redshirted Sean Renfree.

The 2017 depth chart should start with 6th year senior Thomas Sirk, fifth-year senior Parker Boehme and third-year sophomores Quentin Harris and Daniel Jones ... and maybe fourth-year junior Nico Pierre. Hard to believe that even a four or five star QB would beat out that list as a true freshman.

I mostly agree with everything you're saying. Sirk is a dangerous weapon, he's highly underrated for what he did on the field, and I would take him over Boehme any day of the week. I will say I find absolutes dangerous, especially when that absolute is scheduled to take place following a full season of football yet to be played. We don't know what will happen next season. A candidate could reveal himself to be more suitable than Sirk coming into '17, we don't know that yet. Time will tell, and until then we as fans get to speculate for pages and pages on this board. I would expect Sirk to come back chomping at the bit, and ready to earn his starting spot back. I hate he's having to take the toughest of roads, but once he's healed and ready to compete, it should be fun to see what unfolds.

budwom
02-09-2016, 03:47 PM
^ I agree with Olympic that for some reason a lot of fans are hyping the prospects of Jones. I think Harris is the better prospect.
I'm also guessing based on various reports that Pierre just doesn't have the accuracy to be a good QB. Perhaps that will be reassessed
given Sirk's injury, but I kind of doubt he'll end up at QB. (Having said that, we should be ok at running back given our two
fine recent signees, but the way the injury bug has been known to bite us, he might end up anywhere). Should be an interesting Spring practice.

jimsumner
02-09-2016, 03:51 PM
I think part of the fascination with Jones is that he looks like the prototype QB we all thought Cut would be bringing in by the boatload, a 6-5, strong-armed, drop-back guy. Not one of these dual-threat guys.

And he could be a real, under-the-radar find.

But Cut is bringing in these dual-threat guys because he wants them, because he thinks the college game is trending that way. I very much suspect that Jones is behind Harris in the current depth chart and well behind Boehme.

Bob Green
02-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Ouch! This is not the news I was hoping to read when I opened up DBR this afternoon. A completely frustrating turn of events, first and foremost for Thomas Sirk. I believe Nico Pierre will be back in the mix for the back-up QB role behind Parker Boehme resulting in a Spring Practice depth chart:

Parker Boehme (Redshirt Junior)
Nico Pierre (Redshirt Sophomore)
Quentin Harris (Redshirt Freshman)
Daniel Jones (Redshirt Freshman)

Boehme needs a lot of improvement over the spring and summer. He showed flashes of being able to accurately pass the ball, but his performance in 31-13 loss to Pitt was not awe inspiring. He was sacked four times and threw an interception. Our offense totally stalled in the 2nd half.

weezie
02-09-2016, 05:04 PM
My sympathies to young Sirk! What a shame. I hope he can keep his heart/head positive and rebound as soon as possible.

budwom
02-09-2016, 05:20 PM
I think part of the fascination with Jones is that he looks like the prototype QB we all thought Cut would be bringing in by the boatload, a 6-5, strong-armed, drop-back guy. Not one of these dual-threat guys.

And he could be a real, under-the-radar find.

But Cut is bringing in these dual-threat guys because he wants them, because he thinks the college game is trending that way. I very much suspect that Jones is behind Harris in the current depth chart and well behind Boehme.

Speaking of which, I happened to be flying down to Derm last year for a football game and sat next to a woman whose son is a Division I starting QB and was interested
in transferring to Duke (he also visited UNC and was appalled by the players he got to hang with, ha ha. Really liked the Duke guys). Cut told her son quite clearly that he was
only interested in dual threat QBs. (Her son is more a drop back kind of guy).....maybe Cut just didn't want him (frankly I don't think he's good enough for Cut to want),
but I think Cut's a pretty straightforward guy and truly meant what he said, he's going dual threat.

Probably doesn't mean Cut wouldn't grab a really great dropback passer, though. Let's see who he goes after this year, he really needs to grab a QB or two this next class.

Avvocato
02-09-2016, 07:02 PM
Speaking of which, I happened to be flying down to Derm last year for a football game and sat next to a woman whose son is a Division I starting QB and was interested
in transferring to Duke (he also visited UNC and was appalled by the players he got to hang with, ha ha. Really liked the Duke guys). Cut told her son quite clearly that he was
only interested in dual threat QBs. (Her son is more a drop back kind of guy)...maybe Cut just didn't want him (frankly I don't think he's good enough for Cut to want),
but I think Cut's a pretty straightforward guy and truly meant what he said, he's going dual threat.

Probably doesn't mean Cut wouldn't grab a really great dropback passer, though. Let's see who he goes after this year, he really needs to grab a QB or two this next class.

Dylan McCaffery is listed as a pocket passer. I'm pretty sure Cut will make an exception in his case.

BigWayne
02-09-2016, 08:13 PM
Dylan McCaffery is listed as a pocket passer. I'm pretty sure Cut will make an exception in his case.

That's what ESPN says. Each and every website out there seems to classify him differently.

Avvocato
02-09-2016, 08:21 PM
That's what ESPN says. Each and every website out there seems to classify him differently.

For what it's worth, the ESPN scouting report on his states, "Does not have enough speed to be a dual threat." I don't care either way. We just need to add a solid QB recruit next year.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/205043/dylan-mccaffrey

nocilla
02-10-2016, 08:17 AM
Ouch! This is not the news I was hoping to read when I opened up DBR this afternoon. A completely frustrating turn of events, first and foremost for Thomas Sirk. I believe Nico Pierre will be back in the mix for the back-up QB role behind Parker Boehme resulting in a Spring Practice depth chart:

Parker Boehme (Redshirt Junior)
Nico Pierre (Redshirt Sophomore)
Quentin Harris (Redshirt Freshman)
Daniel Jones (Redshirt Freshman)

Boehme needs a lot of improvement over the spring and summer. He showed flashes of being able to accurately pass the ball, but his performance in 31-13 loss to Pitt was not awe inspiring. He was sacked four times and threw an interception. Our offense totally stalled in the 2nd half.

Let's not forget how Cut likes to use the Connette package. And that role seems to always go to the backup QB, even when it doesn't seem to make sense, i.e. Sirk and Boehme last year. Pierre seems to be a good choice for that role since Boehme, I assume, will be the starter. This lines up with the depth chart that Bob has posted above. But I don't know much about Harris or Jones. Do either of them project to be a better option than Pierre in the Connette package?

budwom
02-10-2016, 08:30 AM
as much as I share the skepticism about Jones with others here, people who claim to be in the know insist he's
our top QB right now. I remain skeptical....but I'm hearing from enough places to make me wonder...

dukebluesincebirth
02-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Let's not forget how Cut likes to use the Connette package. And that role seems to always go to the backup QB, even when it doesn't seem to make sense, i.e. Sirk and Boehme last year. Pierre seems to be a good choice for that role since Boehme, I assume, will be the starter. This lines up with the depth chart that Bob has posted above. But I don't know much about Harris or Jones. Do either of them project to be a better option than Pierre in the Connette package?

After watching video of Scott Bracey, I like him in the Connette package... I don't know anything about the level of his competition in high school, but he definitely showed some arm strength.

budwom
02-10-2016, 09:15 AM
It's just that Bracey is also going to be our best wide receiver.....Cut said he did expect him to run the ball occasionally, but we need to find
a solid starting QB other than Bracey. Pierre and Lloyd just didn't look good when they were given a chance in practice, so I really don't think
Pierre is going to be in the mix.

duke blue brewcrew
02-10-2016, 10:23 AM
It's just that Bracey is also going to be our best wide receiver....Cut said he did expect him to run the ball occasionally, but we need to find
a solid starting QB other than Bracey. Pierre and Lloyd just didn't look good when they were given a chance in practice, so I really don't think
Pierre is going to be in the mix.

IMO Duke has three very viable, and inexperienced options for QB this coming season with Boehme, Harris, and Jones. Barring a Baylor-esque injury riddled season, they should be just fine with that. Nico I would believe is the 4th option, given that he was the 3rd string coming into last year before being moved to RB. Trick plays and the Connette package are only one small piece of the offense. Boehme has some work to do before he's ready to be the everyday starter, but he certainly is the most experienced of any candidate Duke has. I think he enters the Spring/Summer as the favorite until one of the other two unseat him. How likely that is, I'm not sure. Depending on who you listen to, great things are being whispered about Jones and Harris. One thing is clear, the Blue Devils need to hit the recruiting trail for more quality QBs for the '17 class, but that's a conversation for a different thread.

hackysack123
03-31-2016, 01:17 PM
Any update on Sirk and how he's recovering?

Olympic Fan
03-31-2016, 01:28 PM
Any update on Sirk and how he's recovering?

Nothing solid, but I have heard hints that Sirk MIGHT be available at some point next season ... probably not from day one, then that raises the question of whether to hold him out and get a hardship year or use him late in the season and expend his eligibility when he might be less than 100 percent.

Tough call.

One additional note ... reading some of the old comments in this thread, I should note that despite speculation that he moves back to QB, Nico Pierre is staying at running back in spring practice so far.

hackysack123
03-31-2016, 01:34 PM
Thanks! Who would be the primary backup behind Parker Boehme? Is that TBD?

Olympic Fan
03-31-2016, 01:37 PM
Thanks! Who would be the primary backup behind Parker Boehme? Is that TBD?

Either redshirt freshman Quentin Harris or redshirt freshman Daniel Jones -- both have drawn very positive comments from Cut through the first few weeks of spring practice.

OldPhiKap
03-31-2016, 01:40 PM
Nothing solid, but I have heard hints that Sirk MIGHT be available at some point next season ... probably not from day one, then that raises the question of whether to hold him out and get a hardship year or use him late in the season and expend his eligibility when he might be less than 100 percent.

Would that application process be identical to Amile's? Because Sirk already took a redshirt year.

devildeac
03-31-2016, 02:07 PM
Would that application process be identical to Amile's? Because Sirk already took a redshirt year.

IIRC, his prior redshirt was for his Achilles injury so, if he's out all year 2016, then another medical hardship might be applied for, much as Anunike and Kelby Brown did. If Sirk missed a year because he was "young," then I don't think the 6th year would apply. But, I have trouble keeping up with what year a lot of the FB players are and I'll bet Jim or OF could do better than I've done 'splaining this :o .

jimsumner
03-31-2016, 02:12 PM
IIRC, his prior redshirt was for his Achilles injury so, if he's out all year 2016, then another medical hardship might be applied for, much as Anunike and Kelby Brown did. If Sirk missed a year because he was "young," then I don't think the 6th year would apply. But, I have trouble keeping up with what year a lot of the FB players are and I'll bet Jim or OF could do better than I've done 'splaining this :o .

Sirk has actually redshirted twice. He sat out his true freshman season because he was young. He sat out his redshirt freshman season due to his first Achilles injury. So, he would be applying for a sixth year of eligibility to play his third season. He would get two medical redshirts but not an extra year for his non-medical redshirt and would not be able to play four seasons.

Does that make sense?

devildeac
03-31-2016, 02:17 PM
Sirk has actually redshirted twice. He sat out his true freshman season because he was young. He sat out his redshirt freshman season due to his first Achilles injury. So, he would be applying for a sixth year of eligibility to play his third season. He would get two medical redshirts but not an extra year for his non-medical redshirt and would not be able to play four seasons.

Does that make sense?

It most certainly does. Thanks. I knew someone could 'splain it better than me. I had forgotten he'd taken 2 redshirt years already.

OldPhiKap
03-31-2016, 02:17 PM

Does that make sense?

So he has one more year; either this or next but not both. Right?

jimsumner
03-31-2016, 02:51 PM
So he has one more year; either this or next but not both. Right?

Correct.