http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3418935/damond-johnson

martydoesntfoul
02-06-2016, 04:17 PM
4.28 40? Are you kidding me? Wow!

Avvocato
02-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Damond Johnson a wide receiver from Pensacola, FL:

6'1" with a 4.28 40 yard dash? Yes, please.

Bob Green
02-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Damond Johnson Twitter post:

Damond
‏@damond_123
I would like to thank Duke for the offer and the Commitment...It is a Blessing!
#commit
#Go Devils��

OldPhiKap
02-06-2016, 04:40 PM
Damond Johnson Twitter post:

Thanks, Bob!

Come on down, Damond! #DukeGang rolls on.

neuro
02-06-2016, 04:59 PM
I love Duke Football, and follow the games closely. However, the recruiting aspect of things is new to me.

Obviously, this recruit seems to have gotten many people excited. But what about him is exciting? How good is he? I'm not asking for predictions, but just some information which helps me understand how strongly Duke is competing for players. Again, I assume this guy is quite a good grab. How can I find more info?

TruBlu
02-06-2016, 05:03 PM
According to the link (above), he is rated the #2 wide receiver. Is that #2 in Florida or #2 in the nation?

Will be happy with either. Welcome to Duke!

Native
02-06-2016, 05:06 PM
According to the link (above), he is rated the #2 wide receiver. Is that #2 in Florida or #2 in the nation?

To my knowledge, he isn't ranked. Scout doesn't list him as ranked. I believe that's his jersey number.

Still, that size and speed is a welcome addition to the team!

budwom
02-06-2016, 05:06 PM

I'm thinking that he wears number two, and they're telling you that for when you watch the video piece.
Very little info out there on him, because it's so early in the cycle...saw one good database on Rivals which didn't even list him...

devildeac
02-06-2016, 05:32 PM
4.28 40? Are you kidding me? Wow!

6'1" with a 4.28 40 yard dash? Yes, please.

With or without cinder blocks? :rolleyes:

killerleft
02-06-2016, 07:00 PM
With or without cinder blocks? :rolleyes:

Nobody can throw a cinderblock that fast.:)

duke blue brewcrew
02-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Damond Johnson a wide receiver from Pensacola, FL:

Has Damond Johnson already signed aN LOI? On 247, it doesn't say "Verbal" it says "Signed" and in the Timeline is says DAmond Johnso signs Letter Of Intent...if so, WOW! And when you look at his 4.28 40 time, DOUBLE WOW!!

http://247sports.com/player/damond-johnson-88915

jimsumner
02-06-2016, 08:56 PM
Has Damond Johnson already signed aN LOI? On 247, it doesn't say "Verbal" it says "Signed" and in the Timeline is says DAmond Johnso signs Letter Of Intent...if so, WOW! And when you look at his 4.28 40 time, DOUBLE WOW!!

http://247sports.com/player/damond-johnson-88915

He can sign in about 360 days.

I'll believe a 4.28 40 when I see him going stride-for-stride with Usain Bolt.

Doesn't mean he's not a great prospect. But 4.28? Call me a skeptic.

Pghdukie
02-06-2016, 09:56 PM

Agreed. Can he catch,block, or hold on to the ball ?

Mike Corey
02-06-2016, 11:09 PM
That 40 time is likely self-reported, i.e., he's probably not a 4.28.

He's currently under the radar. Won't last long. If Cut wants him, I want him. Great start for the Blue Devils.

Avvocato
02-06-2016, 11:10 PM

Even if his true speed is 4.4 or 4.5, I'll still take it. As mentioned above, metrics don't determine how good a football player you are, but Duke doesn't typically get guys with these skills, especially at at this height.

duke blue brewcrew
02-07-2016, 08:05 AM
Even if his true speed is 4.4 or 4.5, I'll still take it. As mentioned above, metrics don't determine how good a football player you are, but Duke doesn't typically get guys with these skills, especially at at this height.

Agreed. As long as he doesn't have stone hands and is coachable. Even if the speed isn't accurate, if it's anywhere in the neighborhood and along with that height, its a helluva start.

budwom
02-07-2016, 09:01 AM
yeah, the speed is highly unlikely. However, given how early we are in this recruiting cycle, Cut must really like the kid, because
he has to be hoping for another monster class, and he wouldn't waste an offer this early on a kid about whom he had doubts.

OldPhiKap
02-07-2016, 09:32 AM
yeah, the speed is highly unlikely. However, given how early we are in this recruiting cycle, Cut must really like the kid, because
he has to be hoping for another monster class, and he wouldn't waste an offer this early on a kid about whom he had doubts.

Agreed. I wonder if this is what the Florida visit was for in the last week or two, assume so.

If you have a tall blur going deep, defenses have to respect it. And if he has real skill -- and let's face it, Cut has a proven eye for discerning talent -- this is a great get.

Or, as Mike Corey said more succinctly: if Cut wants him, I want him.

nmduke2001
02-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Exciting news. He looked good in the video. I'm also doubtful of the 4.28 speed. That would tie him for fifth all time in official NFL combine times, only .04 seconds out of first. Nonetheless, he did get easy separation in many of the highlights. Btw, that qb throws an effortless deep ball. Is he on our radar? 😈

MrETC
02-07-2016, 10:31 AM
SB Nation did a comparison of HS 40's vs. NFL combine 40's a few years ago, and the overwhelming lower times between HS and NFL clocked times appears to be a recognized part of the recruiting game.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/3/1/4038740/2013-nfl-combine-high-school-40-yard-dash-times

However, I did find a mention in the Pensacola News Journal which named Damond to their First Team Offense for 2015, and the 4.28 is attributed to a Florida camp-

"WR – Damond Johnson, West Florida

The speedster ran a 4.28 40-yard-dash at the University of Florida over the summer and lived up to the hype this season. Johnson snagged 38 passes for 761 yards and 12 TDs this season, leading West Florida into the postseason."

http://www.pnj.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2015/12/24/meet-pnj-area-football-team/77889688/

JBDuke
02-07-2016, 11:24 AM
SB Nation did a comparison of HS 40's vs. NFL combine 40's a few years ago, and the overwhelming lower times between HS and NFL clocked times appears to be a recognized part of the recruiting game.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/3/1/4038740/2013-nfl-combine-high-school-40-yard-dash-times

However, I did find a mention in the Pensacola News Journal which named Damond to their First Team Offense for 2015, and the 4.28 is attributed to a Florida camp-

"WR – Damond Johnson, West Florida

The speedster ran a 4.28 40-yard-dash at the University of Florida over the summer and lived up to the hype this season. Johnson snagged 38 passes for 761 yards and 12 TDs this season, leading West Florida into the postseason."

http://www.pnj.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2015/12/24/meet-pnj-area-football-team/77889688/

Wow - 20 yards per catch and 1 out of 3 turns into a TD?

duke blue brewcrew
02-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Wow - 20 yards per catch and 1 out of 3 turns into a TD?

You make two exceptional observations. Duke has been looking for the next guy who can take the top off the defense. I'm still not believing the 4.28, but even if he's 4.45 he's a blur. The every third catch leads to a TD part is impressive, and I think all Duke fans would love to see that translate to the next level.

devildeac
02-07-2016, 02:26 PM
You make two exceptional observations. Duke has been looking for the next guy who can take the top off the defense. I'm still not believing the 4.28, but even if he's 4.45 he's a blur. The every third catch leads to a TD part is impressive, and I think all Duke fans would love to see that translate to the next level.

Now, if we can adjust the accuracy of that long ball...

;)

budwom
02-07-2016, 02:58 PM

Rahming is an absolute blur, and if I had to bet, I'd bet Rahming is every bit as fast as this guy. But he needs to gain some more strength, run butter
routes. We're starting to add the speed at WR we lacked last season...(Bracey, a more mature Rahming..)

mbird30
02-07-2016, 03:39 PM
If I'm honest I'm not sold on this guy yet. His highlight tape is reminiscent of Anthony Nash, and so is his recruiting interest (meaning not much outside of Duke). Unless his recruiting really picks up I think I'll put him in the back of my mind for what should hopefully (but doesn't yet look or sound like) be another monster of a class for duke.

On another note does anyone know how big this class is supposed to be because I think it should be small which means we can be really selective with who we bring in?

duke blue brewcrew
02-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Rahming is an absolute blur, and if I had to bet, I'd bet Rahming is every bit as fast as this guy. But he needs to gain some more strength, run butter
routes. We're starting to add the speed at WR we lacked last season...(Bracey, a more mature Rahming..)

You're absolutely right, Rahming and Bracey* (yet to play in college as we all know) fit that bill. IMO Rahming needs more strength to take his on the field results to the next level. That will come with time and maturity, and I think he's going to be a great player. Bracey should have the size to go with the speed, combined with what seems to be great talent that should lead to what I hope is great success at the college level.

OZ
02-07-2016, 04:20 PM

To be fair with these guys, we can have (and or recruit) all the "blurs" in the world, but without someone to CONSISTENTLY get the ball to them, they bring little to the team. It really doesn't matter how fast they can run the 40, if we have no one, who can accurately throw the ball deep. While I am thrilled with this class and Duke's rise, we are not going to that "next level," until we get the quarterback to take us there..

budwom
02-07-2016, 04:47 PM
To be fair with these guys, we can have (and or recruit) all the "blurs" in the world, but without someone to CONSISTENTLY get the ball to them, they bring little to the team. It really doesn't matter how fast they can run the 40, if we have no one, who can accurately throw the ball deep. While I am thrilled with this class and Duke's rise, we are not going to that "next level," until we get the quarterback to take us there..

Yeah, I think that's pretty obvious, Oz. I mean, you don't avoid recruiting good wide receivers just because your QB has issues. Gotta have a QB, gotta have WRs. Hopefully Cut improves Sirk's long ball accuracy (woeful right now).

Bob Green
02-07-2016, 05:06 PM
On another note does anyone know how big this class is supposed to be because I think it should be small which means we can be really selective with who we bring in?

There are 16 scholarship seniors and redshirt seniors on the roster so that is the starting number. Looking at the redshirt juniors, there are four or five who have work to do to earn a fifth year, plus a football team normally loses one or two players to attrition, so I expect the 2017 class will be around 22 players.

devildeac
02-07-2016, 09:40 PM

"Run butter routes?

You're certainly leaving him no margarine for error.

OldPhiKap
02-07-2016, 09:54 PM
"Run butter routes?

You'll get creamed if you run sloppy routes, and then curd your luck.

devildeac
02-07-2016, 10:40 PM
You'll get creamed if you run sloppy routes, and then curd your luck.

Spreading yourself pretty thin with posting like that.

OldPhiKap
02-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Spreading yourself pretty thin with posting like that.

That cheap shot dairy calls for a response. Pretty cheesy, frankly.

But I am done with these puns and odd fake-butter-related cultural references. "Promise."

budwom
02-08-2016, 08:10 AM
"Run butter routes?

Butter routes as in smooth as butter...I shouldn't expect a geriatric case to comprehend modern language!

devildeac
02-08-2016, 09:50 AM
Butter routes as in smooth as butter...I shouldn't expect a geriatric case to comprehend modern language!

Ahh, butter routes. Could have been read as "better routes," too, you must admit.

You deserve a pat on the back for that. Now I can roll with what you're trying to convey.

Indoor66
02-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Ahh, butter routes. Could have been read as "better routes," too, you must admit.

You deserve a pat on the back for that. Now I can roll with what you're trying to convey.

Maybe he was talking about the sizzle and got lost looking for the chedder.

gumbomoop
02-08-2016, 10:58 AM
Butter routes as in smooth as butter...

I can't believe it's not better.

duke blue brewcrew
02-08-2016, 11:18 AM
You would have to believe that Bracey is working on Class of '17 LB from his HS Alma Mater, Benedictine, 4* Ellis Brooks. That would be a nice way to keep the momentum going in the new class!

http://247sports.com/Player/Ellis-Brooks-78046

Avvocato
02-08-2016, 06:19 PM
A little post signing day analysis of the Duke roster by espn.com. Nothing earth shattering, and as the comment by a poster at the end points out, no mention of Bracey.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/90892/taking-stock-of-dukes-post-signing-day-roster

sagegrouse
02-08-2016, 06:27 PM
A little post signing day analysis of the Duke roster by espn.com. Nothing earth shattering, and as the comment by a poster at the end points out, no mention of Bracey.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/90892/taking-stock-of-dukes-post-signing-day-roster

Interesting quote:
Duke signed the best class in school history last week... I might have said, "Duke signed its best class since the advent of recruiting ratings..."

duke blue brewcrew
02-09-2016, 09:02 AM
4* DE Ryan Johnson is on a road-trip checking out lots of schools. According to his Twitter feed, Johnson hit the CHeaters earlier yesterday, then went to Duke where he took in the game last night. He met with his recruiter, Coach Jones, his potential future position coach, Coach Albert, and a former HS teammate, Zavier Carmichael. Apparently Ryan is sticking around this morning to meet Coach Cut. I like that among other details, he posts his GPA on his Twitter account, a 3.96. Ryan is getting recruited by some big time schools, and IMO has the chops to be a Duke kid. What a great get he would be for Duke Football! I hope he's impressed by what he experiences during his visit. LGD!

Follow

Ryan Johnson 4⃣ 4⃣
‏@ryanjohnson_50
Just arrived at the prestigious Duke University�� #DukeGang

mbird30
02-09-2016, 09:12 AM
4* DE Ryan Johnson is on a road-trip checking out lots of schools. According to his Twitter feed, Johnson hit the CHeaters earlier yesterday, then went to Duke where he took in the game last night. He met with his recruiter, Coach Jones, his potential future position coach, Coach Albert, and a former HS teammate, Zavier Carmichael. Apparently Ryan is sticking around this morning to meet Coach Cut. I like that among other details, he posts his GPA on his Twitter account, a 3.96. Ryan is getting recruited by some big time schools, and IMO has the chops to be a Duke kid. What a great get he would be for Duke Football! I hope he's impressed by what he experiences during his visit. LGD!

Follow

Ryan Johnson 4⃣ 4⃣
‏@ryanjohnson_50
Just arrived at the prestigious Duke University�� #DukeGang

I hate when I get interested in a guy we don't have committed yet, but he seems like a good fit from this.

Bob Green
02-13-2016, 07:35 PM
Something is happening:

David Cutcliffe Verified account 
‏@DavidCutcliffe
Sound the Alarm!! Bang Bang DukeGang!!!

Acymetric
02-13-2016, 07:37 PM
Marvin Hubbard, RB out if GA...supposedly with 4.25 level speed (again).

Bob Green
02-13-2016, 07:38 PM
Marvin Hubbard:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3807668/marvin-hubbard

Bob Green
02-13-2016, 07:41 PM

ESPN profile says 4.42 which is excellent, excellent speed:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/210082/marvin-hubbard

BD80
02-13-2016, 07:51 PM

I could jump off a 300 ft cliff and not go 40 yards in 4.25 seconds.

Hmm. Might make 40 feet in 4.25 seconds. If a bear were chasing me.

Acymetric
02-13-2016, 08:03 PM
Not sure if he's really that fast (why I included the "supposedly") but watch the hudl highlights Bob posted...dude can fly!

Wonder if he was visiting/at the game today?

CameronBlue
02-13-2016, 08:08 PM
ESPN profile says 4.42 which is excellent, excellent speed:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/210082/marvin-hubbard

To steal from Richard Jeni "That's the I'm Ted Kennedy and the liquor store is closing in 5 minutes kind of fast"

OldPhiKap
02-13-2016, 09:47 PM
Welcome to #DukeGang, Marvin!

mbird30
02-13-2016, 11:20 PM
I heard that the 4.42 number was laser verified

OldPhiKap
02-13-2016, 11:22 PM
I heard that the 4.42 number was laser verified

Better than verification by ill-tempered sea bass.

mbird30
02-13-2016, 11:30 PM
I trust our scouting, but I like to brag about our recruiting classes too, and getting players that just may be diamonds in the rough are harder to brag about than "blue chip" (4-5star) players.

Bob Green
02-14-2016, 06:50 AM
Check out his acceleration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3psv7NTkmfM&feature=player_embedded

OldPhiKap
02-14-2016, 07:51 AM
Check out his acceleration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3psv7NTkmfM&feature=player_embedded

He can sure pick 'em up and throw 'em down quickly. Thanks for the link!

IsInTheDetails
02-14-2016, 08:30 AM
I trust our scouting, but I like to brag about our recruiting classes too, and getting players that just may be diamonds in the rough are harder to brag about than "blue chip" (4-5star) players.

I basically understand this sentiment, especially given that our two '17 commits so far are both un-starred prospects, and given how far the program and its recruiting have come.

But my question for those more knowledgeable about football recruiting is this --- Are we just too early in the '17 recruiting cycle for a lot of these guys to have ratings/rankings? i.e., Is it reasonable to assume that come summertime, with football camps and whatnot, that a lot of these 'un-starred' guys will get their stars?

Thanks to Bob Green for posting the video of Hubbard. I don't need laser confirmation to know that the dude can fly. Wow. I wonder if he projects as a running back in college, or perhaps a receiver in the Crowder/Rahming mold. His size would suggest the latter, though Shaun Wilson has at times shown us how dangerous speed can be out of the backfield, even without much size.

I understand that Duke had a number of prospects in this weekend for a "junior day" . . . perhaps another BangBang DukeGang to come?

bedeviled
02-14-2016, 08:55 AM
Am I correct in thinking this is the same Marvin Hubbard who appears in a YouTube clip winning the 2015 Junior Olympic's 100m dash (15-16yo boys) (https://youtu.be/QV9FqVz0yUI)? It appears this individual runs out of the Star Track TC (http://www.startracktc.com/) in Atlanta.
Aside from the rise of our football team, can our track program draw such athletes now?

mbird30
02-14-2016, 09:04 AM
I basically understand this sentiment, especially given that our two '17 commits so far are both un-starred prospects, and given how far the program and its recruiting have come.

But my question for those more knowledgeable about football recruiting is this --- Are we just too early in the '17 recruiting cycle for a lot of these guys to have ratings/rankings? i.e., Is it reasonable to assume that come summertime, with football camps and whatnot, that a lot of these 'un-starred' guys will get their stars?

Thanks to Bob Green for posting the video of Hubbard. I don't need laser confirmation to know that the dude can fly. Wow. I wonder if he projects as a running back in college, or perhaps a receiver in the Crowder/Rahming mold. His size would suggest the latter, though Shaun Wilson has at times shown us how dangerous speed can be out of the backfield, even without much size.

I understand that Duke had a number of prospects in this weekend for a "junior day" . . . perhaps another BangBang DukeGang to come?

I like his prospects of being a Darren Sproles styled running back because he possesses decent size for his 5'9" frame. Listed at around 180 lbs

budwom
02-14-2016, 09:48 AM

Perfectly good question. Yes, it's early...but given this guy's speed and the area in which he plays, I have to say I'm surprised he doesn't have
a more impressive offer list right now....hopefully Cut is sure about this guy.

BD80
02-14-2016, 10:09 AM
... 5'9" frame. Listed at around 180 lbs

As a junior in high school?

Must be carrying a cinder block or two.

Olympic Fan
02-14-2016, 12:20 PM

That is exactly the case -- an unstarred player has not been rated at this point. It's too early in the process for this to happen. There are rated prospects, but even those that do have stars will change ... in fact, I checked the ESPN top 100 recently and as of yet they had NO five-star recruits. That will change.

I have no idea where Duke's two early commitments will rank, but I'd be willing to bet that both will be AT LEAST three stars when they are evaluated. And the fact that they are such early targets almost guarantees that they are major targets for the staff.

duke blue brewcrew
02-14-2016, 03:27 PM
It would appear that speed is the focus of this year's recruiting efforts to date. Marvin Hubbard looks crazy fast. I get the "I wish we had this year's Scott Bracey in the boat already" sentiment. That said, I trust that Coach Cut & Co have done their homework, and the players they are bringing in will be assets to the program. I'm excited to see Marvin on the field for Duke, he sounds like one heck of a weapon. The results of the inevitable "Who's the fastest on the team race" between Marvin, Damon Johnson, and Shaun Wilson should be interesting, and I hope we get to hear who wins. Welcome to Duke Marvin Hubbard! LGD!

budwom
02-14-2016, 03:37 PM
That is exactly the case -- an unstarred player has not been rated at this point. It's too early in the process for this to happen. There are rated prospects, but even those that do have stars will change ... in fact, I checked the ESPN top 100 recently and as of yet they had NO five-star recruits. That will change.

I have no idea where Duke's two early commitments will rank, but I'd be willing to bet that both will be AT LEAST three stars when they are evaluated. And the fact that they are such early targets almost guarantees that they are major targets for the staff.

FWIW, Rivals already has him as a three star.

OldPhiKap
02-14-2016, 03:52 PM

"Duke bounce"

Mike Corey
02-15-2016, 09:56 PM
Duke's top QB prospect, Dylan McCaffrey, is under the spell of Jim Harbaugh and will take his formidable talents to Michigan (https://twitter.com/dcaf20/status/699402930307207172) where he can torment me as both a Buckeye and Blue Devil fan.

duke blue brewcrew
02-15-2016, 10:56 PM
Duke's top QB prospect, Dylan McCaffrey, is under the spell of Jim Harbaugh and will take his formidable talents to Michigan (https://twitter.com/dcaf20/status/699402930307207172) where he can torment me as both a Buckeye and Blue Devil fan.

Just saw that, so bummed, and probably not completely unexpected

martydoesntfoul
02-15-2016, 11:54 PM

For some reason, immediately after reading this, the pliers scene from early in Stir Crazy (1980) popped into my mind. Over the top? Too much? Or just about right?

Olympic Fan
02-16-2016, 12:28 AM
Disappointed to see McCaffrey3 drink the Harbaugh cool-aid.

But I'm glad he acted this quickly and didn't string things out. Duke must get a QB in this class and better to move on now while there is still time.

PS Don't know what Cut will do 10 months from now when Harbaugh gets a better QB and decides to pull the offer from McCaffrey (who is, after all, ONLY a four-star).

BD80
02-16-2016, 08:37 AM

Interesting. I read that captain khaki pants was just this month referring to a recently signed kid from the Indy area as his "next Andrew Luck."

That won't leave much PT for Dylan. Wonder if harbaugh told Dylan the same things about his "next Andrew Luck?"

mbird30
02-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Interesting. I read that captain khaki pants was just this month referring to a recently signed kid from the Indy area as his "next Andrew Luck."

That won't leave much PT for Dylan. Wonder if harbaugh told Dylan the same things about his "next Andrew Luck?"

So what we've learned from this is that Jim Harbaugh is just as sleazy as ever

duke blue brewcrew
02-16-2016, 11:44 AM
Werner seems to be a talented player, and would be a good fit in the Duke program. He likes Duke who is in his Top 4, however he LOVES Stanford. It's the only school in his Top 4 that he doesn't have an offer from. That said, it sounds like he would pull the trigger on Stanford immediately, if the offer comes. They are currently evaluating his transcripts and tape.

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Stanford-leads-for-No-2-recruit-in-Indiana-43734549

duke blue brewcrew
02-16-2016, 12:28 PM

247 now has Hubbard evaluated as a 3* also. ESPN and Scout still lag behind. Johnson is still unranked on all sites that I have checked. While I was digging around, I took a few minutes to watch their high-lite reels again. Johnson frequently takes the top off of the coverage on Go routes, and consistently had to slow down and wait for the pass to get there. That said, I'm not sure he looks as fast as Hubbard on tape. I don't know what 4.28 speed looks like however. Has anyone else noticed this as well?

Bob Green
02-16-2016, 03:53 PM
Duke must get a QB in this class and better to move on now while there is still time.

So the $64K question is: who does Coach Cutcliffe pursue? Which QBs are on the staff's radar? I agree with Olympic Fan that Duke must get a QB in this class, but I have no idea who is being looked at as possibilities. The only dialogue I've seen on the various message boards (not exactly a prime source) has been about Dylan McCaffrey.

duke blue brewcrew
02-16-2016, 04:22 PM
So the $64K question is: who does Coach Cutcliffe pursue? Which QBs are on the staff's radar? I agree with Olympic Fan that Duke must get a QB in this class, but I have no idea who is being looked at as possibilities. The only dialogue I've seen on the various message boards (not exactly a prime source) has been about Dylan McCaffrey.

Jake Bentley is a big time prospect that I know Duke has offered. He's a Pro Style which doesn't seem to fit Cut's M.O. these days. Additionally, he doesn't seem to be favoring Duke at all. Lindell Stone is another I've seen mentioned on other sites. I'm not sure if he's been offered yet by the Blue Devils, and he's also a PRO style QB, with a nice offer sheet. So who knows what will happen.

Nugget
02-16-2016, 04:25 PM
247 now has Hubbard evaluated as a 3* also. ESPN and Scout still lag behind. Johnson is still unranked on all sites that I have checked. While I was digging around, I took a few minutes to watch their high-lite reels again. Johnson frequently takes the top off of the coverage on Go routes, and consistently had to slow down and wait for the pass to get there. That said, I'm not sure he looks as fast as Hubbard on tape. I don't know what 4.28 speed looks like however. Has anyone else noticed this as well?

4.28 pretty much "looks like" a unicorn. According to the link below, only 3 guys have ever gone fast than that (officially) at the NFL combine (although other places on the internet will tell you Bo Jackson, Deion Sander and Darrell Green did, too, back in the day before electronic timing).

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/11-fastest-40-yard-dashes-in-nfl-history.html/?a=viewall

I'd expect both of the guys we got commitments from are really in the 4.4-4.5 range -- still extremely fast, as reflected by both of them repeatedly running away from the defenses in pretty high level Georgia and Florida high school competition.

Bob Green
02-16-2016, 05:28 PM
OT Jacob Rimmer from Milan, TN has verbally committed to Duke!

duke blue brewcrew
02-16-2016, 05:32 PM
OT Jacob Rimmer from Milan, TN has verbally committed to Duke!

It's nice to see and hopefully creates some momentum for the '17 class. Big kid, 6'7" 270. 3* rated at an 84.96 according to 247.

http://duke.247sports.com/Article/Three-Star-2017-OT-Jacob-Rimmer-commits-to-Duke-43723018

OldPhiKap
02-16-2016, 06:54 PM
Welcome, Jacob!

Avvocato
02-22-2016, 01:32 PM
I didn't know if the below was worth a new thread so I decided to post it here. Attached is a link to the espn.com blog. It's about ACC teams and what they need to do to get to the ACC Championship Game and Challenge Clemson. This one is about Duke. I personally think she gives a little too much credit to Sirk and his play at the end of the year, but that's just me. In any case, I thought I would pass it along.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/91104/chasing-clemson-how-duke-makes-it-to-the-acc-title-game

rhynelander
03-30-2016, 02:41 AM
Don't know if I missed this in another thread, so feel free to delete it mods. But Duke just received its fourth recruit in 2017, who happens to be the 4th highest recruit we've received all time. He played at the same school as Scott Bracey and at 6'2" and 233 seems like a perfect fit for Duke's linebacking core. Great news with all the rumors floating around our bball team and with the Tar Holes still dancing.

http://duke.247sports.com/Article/Four-Star-2017-LB-Ellis-Brooks-commits-to-Duke-44441636

duke blue brewcrew
03-31-2016, 08:33 AM
Don't know if I missed this in another thread, so feel free to delete it mods. But Duke just received its fourth recruit in 2017, who happens to be the 4th highest recruit we've received all time. He played at the same school as Scott Bracey and at 6'2" and 233 seems like a perfect fit for Duke's linebacking core. Great news with all the rumors floating around our bball team and with the Tar Heels still dancing.

http://duke.247sports.com/Article/Four-Star-2017-LB-Ellis-Brooks-commits-to-Duke-44441636

It was mistakenly posted in the Football 2016 day of by me. Thanks for getting it in the correct thread.

IsInTheDetails
03-31-2016, 03:58 PM
http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/BREAKING-Nations-No-9-TE-commits-to-Duke-44571924

Ranked the 9th best Tight End in class of 2017, per 247Sports, with an offer sheet to match that ranking.

OldPhiKap
03-31-2016, 04:02 PM
http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/BREAKING-Nations-No-9-TE-commits-to-Duke-44571924

Ranked the 9th best Tight End in class of 2017, per 247Sports, with an offer sheet to match that ranking.

Welcome to #DukeGang, all!

This class is really shaping up nicely.

Bob Green
03-31-2016, 04:08 PM
Not rated at ESPN but a long and distinguished offer sheet:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/211532/jake-marwede

6'5" 235 with 4.82 speed. Coach Cutcliffe adds another brick to building the program.

bedeviled
03-31-2016, 04:11 PM
Looking for clips, it seemed like Jake Marwede was playing as a wildcat QB. Sure enough. Here are some comments his coach made to the Chicago Tribune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-1208-prep-fb-recruiting-notebook-20151207-story.html) in December:

"(Jake's) 6-5 and 220 pounds with a frame that can get a lot bigger," Holecek said. "He's verified with a 4.8 40 time at a Nike Combine. That's a legit combine 40. He will get faster and better as he grows more. He has just scratched his potential since he was a quarterback (before) and hasn't really hit the weights hard.

"In the next two years, he's going to be a 250-pound crazy athlete. The catches he made in the state game, catching a ball off the ground practically, you don't see that in high school."

A quarterback until switching to tight end in June, Marwede still wears a jersey number (No. 14) befitting his former position. Marwede, who has taken snaps as Loyola's Wildcat quarterback this season, calls his decision to switch to tight end a pivotal moment

devildeac
03-31-2016, 04:27 PM
Not rated at ESPN but a long and distinguished offer sheet:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/211532/jake-marwede

6'5" 235 with 4.82 speed. Coach Cutcliffe adds another brick to building the program.

Looks/sounds more like a cinder block to me. ;)

duke blue brewcrew
03-31-2016, 05:13 PM
Looking for clips, it seemed like Jake Marwede was playing as a wildcat QB. Sure enough. Here are some comments his coach made to the Chicago Tribune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-1208-prep-fb-recruiting-notebook-20151207-story.html) in December:

Here is what 247 has on him. He's ranked by 3 of the 4 ranking services as a 3* .8596. His offer list is a Who's Who of College Blue Blood programs. He's a big kid who appears to have great hands, good speed and leaping ability. He did see some Wildcat formation stuff for his HS team and is very Sirk'esque around the goal line.

Bob Green
04-02-2016, 12:56 PM
4* Safety Damani Neal, who is #226 on the ESPN300 list, will announce his college destination at 7 pm tonight:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/205244/damani-neal

Duke is one of six schools under consideration along with Virginia, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Northwestern and Iowa.

Bob Green
04-02-2016, 02:19 PM
According to the Twitterverse, Charlotte Latin cornerback Melvin Rouse has committed to Duke. He is not rated and it appears Duke is his only offer.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/196870/melvin-rouse-ii

Gargoyle
04-02-2016, 02:23 PM
According to the Twitterverse, Charlotte Latin cornerback Melvin Rouse has committed to Duke. He is not rated and it appears Duke is his only offer.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/196870/melvin-rouse-ii

Here is the link to his junior highlights:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2929985/highlights/313483485

jimsumner
04-02-2016, 02:40 PM

Cutcliffe has done pretty well with Charlotte-area private schools. He knows the territory.

Bob Green
04-02-2016, 02:49 PM
Cutcliffe has done pretty well with Charlotte-area private schools. He knows the territory.

Yep, Charlotte Latin is the same high school Ross Cockrell attended.

jimsumner
04-02-2016, 03:50 PM
Might be of interest.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-0401-prep-fb-recruiting-jarvis-marwede-20160331-story.html

CameronBornAndBred
04-02-2016, 04:01 PM
Might be of interest.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-0401-prep-fb-recruiting-jarvis-marwede-20160331-story.html
Sweet!

Marwede, ranked No. 9, held offers from eight Big Ten schools including Illinois, Northwestern and Ohio State, plus Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee.

JasonEvans
04-02-2016, 04:12 PM

Though he did not have any other offers, he had gotten a lot of interest from UNC, Oregon, Northwestern, and several other big time programs including Clemson. Don't let the lack of offers fool you, this is yet another significant recruiting coup for Coach Cut!

-Jason "in Cut we trust. Scary to think of what he can do with top 25 recruiting classes -- our recent success has been with guys who were often barely 2-star recruits" Evans

Old man
04-02-2016, 07:44 PM
D. Neal to Duke.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-02-2016, 07:51 PM
D. Neal to Duke.
Woohoo! Welcome to Duke! GTHc!!

BD80
04-02-2016, 08:06 PM
4* Safety Damani Neal, who is #226 on the ESPN300 list, will announce his college destination at 7 pm tonight:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/205244/damani-neal

Duke is one of six schools under consideration along with Virginia, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Northwestern and Iowa.

There was a time not to long ago when I would look at a list like that and think that we had no chance, that we didn't really belong with the other teams.

Now, I think the other teams don't belong on a list with us.

Welcome Damani!

OldPhiKap
04-02-2016, 10:15 PM
Wow, this class is shaping up to be another Cut coup. Welcome all to #DukeGang!!!!

budwom
04-02-2016, 10:47 PM
The Rouse "commitment" seems to have hit a snag......I'd put it down in pencil for now, not indelible ink.
I'd say more, but rules are rules.

The Neal, Marwede and Brooks commitments are all extra big time....

RepoMan
04-03-2016, 10:24 AM
It's great to receive such good football recruiting news when we are suffering through UNC hoops success. Let's hope the good news keeps coming!

duke blue brewcrew
04-04-2016, 09:50 AM
The Rouse "commitment" seems to have hit a snag...I'd put it down in pencil for now, not indelible ink.
I'd say more, but rules are rules.

The Neal, Marwede and Brooks commitments are all extra big time...

Agreed across the board. The Rouse commitment could still happen, but is on pause for now. It sounds like he needs to get all of his ducks in a row, before things can become official. I'm wondering if that leaves the door open for other recruits at his position who do already have everything as it needs to be?

Olympic Fan
04-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Agreed across the board. The Rouse commitment could still happen, but is on pause for now. It sounds like he needs to get all of his ducks in a row, before things can become official. I'm wondering if that leaves the door open for other recruits at his position who do already have everything as it needs to be?

Been trying to nail down what's going on with the Rouse commitment -- again, it seems that it's on hold, rather than anything stronger.

But in the course of my investigation, I did learn that Duke is NOT his only offer (as several web sites suggest). He also has an offer from Oregon. As noted before, Clemson, UNC and several other ACC programs are very interested and have had him on campus, but have not formally offered.

I hope Duke and Rouse can work things out. But whatever happens in that situation, the last week -- with Brooks, Marwede and Neal -- has been terrific for the program.

budwom
04-04-2016, 02:32 PM
Been trying to nail down what's going on with the Rouse commitment -- again, it seems that it's on hold, rather than anything stronger.

But in the course of my investigation, I did learn that Duke is NOT his only offer (as several web sites suggest). He also has an offer from Oregon. As noted before, Clemson, UNC and several other ACC programs are very interested and have had him on campus, but have not formally offered.

I hope Duke and Rouse can work things out. But whatever happens in that situation, the last week -- with Brooks, Marwede and Neal -- has been terrific for the program.

Yup, it's weird...are you sure about the Oregon offer, Olympic? I've seen that disputed...

sagegrouse
04-04-2016, 03:19 PM
Is this the correct list for 2017?

Damond Johnson, WR
Marvin Hubbard, RB
Jacob Rimmer, OT
Ellis Brooks, LB
Jake Marwede, TE
Damani Neal, S

Also, some noise about a commitment from Marvin Rouse.

Bob Green
04-04-2016, 04:21 PM

Yes, Duke has six confirmed verbal commits to date.

duke blue brewcrew
04-04-2016, 09:31 PM

Damond Johnson, WR
Marvin Hubbard, RB
Jacob Rimmer, OT
Ellis Brooks, LB
Jake Marwede, TE
Damani Neal, S

Also, some noise about a commitment from Marvin Rouse.

I do believe Marvin has a couple of I's to dot and T's to cross before he can make his commitment official

duke blue brewcrew
04-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Duke has been very methodical in their approach to offering the next tier of QBs after their initial offers to their top tier players came up empty. Jack Sears, a highly rated 3* QB out of San Clemente, CA, who values the academic piece of the equation received an offer from Duke during an unofficial visit to campus this week. IMHO, Sears must really be the favorite here of that next tier, because Duke is breaking from their pattern with the offer. Of the four QBs being evaluated, (Sears, Free, Grabers, Ulrich) each were invited to come visit the campus and get to know the staff. Once that happens, the staff wanted to hit the road and go visit each QB and watch them throw before extending an offer according to all that I have read on the issue leading up to now. From comments that I'm seeing regarding Sears, he's looking to make a decision by this summer. I'm hoping for Bang Bang #DukeGang on this one!

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-offers-Three-Star-2017-QB-Jack-Sears-44675188

johnb
04-07-2016, 08:37 AM
Duke has been very methodical in their approach to offering the next tier of QBs after their initial offers to their top tier players came up empty. Jack Sears, a highly rated 3* QB out of San Clemente, CA, who values the academic piece of the equation received an offer from Duke during an unofficial visit to campus this week. IMHO, Sears must really be the favorite here of that next tier, because Duke is breaking from their pattern with the offer. Of the four QBs being evaluated, (Sears, Free, Grabers, Ulrich) each were invited to come visit the campus and get to know the staff. Once that happens, the staff wanted to hit the road and go visit each QB and watch them throw before extending an offer according to all that I have read on the issue leading up to now. From comments that I'm seeing regarding Sears, he's looking to make a decision by this summer. I'm hoping for Bang Bang #DukeGang on this one!

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-offers-Three-Star-2017-QB-Jack-Sears-44675188

Sears happens to be from the adopted hometown of Duke's most famous alumnus. Not sure if that helps or hurts.

sagegrouse
04-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Sears happens to be from the adopted hometown of Duke's most infamous alumnus. Not sure if that helps or hurts.

FIFY

Now I have to tell a story. I was at my Duke reunion two years ago, and at the end of the Sunday AM breakfast, I was looking around for any classmates I hadn't talked with. What should happen but I see a tall, slightly bent guy who was the spittin' image of Richard Nixon. You know, the Kennedy's all sorta looked alike and so do the Bushes, but this guy was a dead ringer for Tricky himself. The only difference was in height. I made my way over to him and checked his name tag -- not to see if he was related to the former Pres., but to see if he was an alumnus. Yep. Ed Nixon, Duke Class of 1952. When I greeted him, he said, "There is a family resemblance, isn't there?" I spoke with him for a few minutes. He was the youngest of the five Nixon brothers and lived in Seattle IIRC. Richard was way older, graduating from Duke Law in 1937.

BD80
04-07-2016, 08:54 AM

Jack Sears: that just sounds like a quarterback!

I trust Coach Cut with all football decisions (hell, I'd trust his taste in room décor), but I particularly trust his evaluation of quarterback potential.

Frankly, I feel the mental side of the equation is too often overlooked. Tom Brady is certainly not the most physically gifted passer in the world, but he is probably the best decision maker. Much of that comes from his willingness to prepare, but his ability to prepare - to analyze film and understand what offense to utilize in each situation - and the ability to implement offensive schemes within the flow of a game truly sets him apart. (That's as much as I can say complimenting a Patriot!).

Even Peyton Manning, once a gifted thrower, demonstrated that decision-making was the most important quality a quarterback can have while leading the Broncos to the Championship this year.

So throw (hah) the rating system out the window when considering our qb recruits. I'm all for the guy that Cut wants!

Bob Green
04-23-2016, 03:44 PM
Jim Knowles ‏@CoachJimKnowles · 4m4 minutes ago

Bang Bang #DukeGang17

Another player joining DukeGang!

Bob Green
04-23-2016, 05:54 PM
The verbal is OL Rakavius Chambers:

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Rakavius-Chambers-commits-to-Duke-44977021

Offers from Georgia Tech, Minnesota, Memphis, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Southern Mississippi and others...

OldPhiKap
04-23-2016, 06:32 PM

Offers from Georgia Tech, Minnesota, Memphis, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Southern Mississippi and others...

Woot!! Welcome!

Olympic Fan
04-23-2016, 06:44 PM

When we lost Schroeder unexpectedly last fall, the staff had time to add an extra OL prospect in the Class of 2016.

With the recent unexpected loss of Jake Sanders, we are going to need an extra OL prospect in the newest class too.

This looks like a very good pickup.

mbird30
04-23-2016, 08:35 PM
Bang Bang
http://247sports.com/Player/Rakavius-Chambers-89869

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-23-2016, 09:44 PM
This newest recruit was reeled in by our new OL line coach, Marcus Johnson... his first official recruit.;)

Bob Green
04-24-2016, 08:08 AM
This is a very interesting article on the newest Blue Devil:

http://m.oanow.com/sports/high_school/_football/with-offers-from-duke-memphis-and-others-the-question-is/article_4aa4c5bc-d9dc-11e5-b0f0-2315c0d0af90.html?mode=jqm

Meet RaKavius Chambers, the Opelika junior who no one has a negative thing to say about (seriously, we asked around).

>> He’s a singer, dancer and member of the school’s show choir.

>> He plays saxophone for the school band.

>> He is class president. He is the Spanish club president. He takes AP classes and is an honor-roll student.

>> He wants to be a cardiothoracic surgeon after observing a live heart surgery, live heart transplant and live lung transplant during a medical camp at Duke this past summer.

OldPhiKap
04-24-2016, 08:16 AM
This is a very interesting article on the newest Blue Devil:

http://m.oanow.com/sports/high_school/_football/with-offers-from-duke-memphis-and-others-the-question-is/article_4aa4c5bc-d9dc-11e5-b0f0-2315c0d0af90.html?mode=jqm

Well, someone needs to follow Shane after his terms as President expire.

arnie
04-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Sears happens to be from the adopted hometown of Duke's most famous alumnus. Not sure if that helps or hurts.

Elvis thinks it helps.

sammy3469
04-28-2016, 04:23 PM
Cutcliffe just tweeted that someone else committed.

https://twitter.com/DavidCutcliffe/status/725781310950744069

PDDuke85
04-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Will Taylor, 3 star OL

Avvocato
04-28-2016, 05:23 PM
Awesome news. Most importantly, according to the below link, he's rated the #5 center in country, though the link states he's slated to play center or guard.

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-lands-commitment-from-Three-Star-2017-OL-Will-Taylor-45060660?Referer=CBSSPORTS

OldPhiKap
04-28-2016, 05:26 PM
Will Taylor, 3 star OL

Welcome Mr. Taylor!

sagegrouse
04-28-2016, 05:29 PM
Awesome news. Most importantly, according to the below link, he's rated the #5 center in country, though the link states he's slated to play center or guard.

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-lands-commitment-from-Three-Star-2017-OL-Will-Taylor-45060660?Referer=CBSSPORTS

Money quote:

Taylor, a 6'4", 280-pound interior lineman plays Center for Grayson High School [in Georgia] and is expected to play either center or guard when he gets to Duke. He chose the Blue Devils over offers from North Carolina, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Wake Forest and more. He is the second interior lineman to commit to Duke in the last week, joining Rakavius Chambers who committed on Saturday.

Grayson HS? It's in Loganville, Georgia, 20 or so miles east of Atlanta.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Marcus Johnson is on the job! I certainly miss John Latina who was one of my faves, but it's clear that Marcus hit the ground running.;)

IsInTheDetails
05-20-2016, 10:41 AM
Ellis Brooks, our top recruit so far in the class of 2017, has decommitted per Adam Rowe/247. Link (http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Four-Star-2017-LB-Ellis-Brooks-decommits-from-Duke-45415769).

budwom
05-20-2016, 01:21 PM
^bad news for sure. The only silver lining is that we have a true bumper crop of LBs coming in this Fall, so we should be OK
at that position, but you hate to lose a four star. Solid class thus far but not at the level of the previous (incoming) class.

Bob Green
05-20-2016, 03:48 PM
This is disappointing news. As Budwom states, we have a couple of potential jewels in the 2016 class plus so the cupboard is not bare at linebacker. It still hurts to lose a 4 Star recruit.

TruBlu
05-21-2016, 09:45 AM
We could emulate the cheaters down the road and say we didn't want him anyway.

Nah, we don't want to be like them in any way.

jimsumner
05-21-2016, 11:24 AM
The only good thing about the de-commitment is that it came early enough for Duke to pursue other targets. None of this changing-my-mind-on-January-30 stuff.

Faison1
05-21-2016, 11:56 AM
Wow! What a bummer. When I opened the thread this morning, I really though it was going to be more good news on an incoming recruit.......PSYCHE!!!

Any word on where he is going?

Please don't tell me Cheater Hill

Mike Corey
05-21-2016, 12:47 PM
This is the world of big-time football recruiting. With so much good comes a little bad.

jimsumner
05-21-2016, 01:53 PM
This is the world of big-time football recruiting. With so much good comes a little bad.

True. It's not like folks wanted to poach Duke recruits back in 2004.

RepoMan
05-26-2016, 12:43 PM
With Briles out at Baylor, look for a decommit here: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/208176/kellen-mond

Looks like we offered him previously. Would love to see him in Durham.

IsInTheDetails
05-26-2016, 05:41 PM
Per 247Sports, Jay Urich (http://247sports.com/Player/Jay-Urich-68709), a three-star, dual-threat QB from Piedmont, SC will decide tomorrow between South Carolina and Duke.

Urich just picked up his Duke offer very recently, and only one "Crystal Ball" predictor has him choosing the Blue Devils. . .but that would be from Adam Rowe, who just switched his prediction today.

Urich is big and mobile. The running plays from his highlight reel are rather Sirk-esque, but oddly enough, the highlight reel doesn't feature overthrows on the long ball. (Just a joke everyone. . .I'm a big Sirk fan.)

johnb
05-26-2016, 07:15 PM
Per 247Sports, Jay Urich (http://247sports.com/Player/Jay-Urich-68709), a three-star, dual-threat QB from Piedmont, SC will decide tomorrow between South Carolina and Duke.

Urich just picked up his Duke offer very recently, and only one "Crystal Ball" predictor has him choosing the Blue Devils. . .but that would be from Adam Rowe, who just switched his prediction today.

Urich is big and mobile. The running plays from his highlight reel are rather Sirk-esque, but oddly enough, the highlight reel doesn't feature overthrows on the long ball. (Just a joke everyone. . .I'm a big Sirk fan.)

USC is slated to have 3 Four star underclass qb's waiting for Urich, who's a 3 star.

Ratings are imprecise, but they mean something.

My hunch is that the Roper brother at SC talked to the Roper brother at Duke, and that Mr Urich--who also got an offer from Harvard--will be coming to Durham.

Since I'd never heard of this recruit until 10 minutes ago, however, my confidence in this is limited...

sagegrouse
05-26-2016, 07:39 PM
Since I'd never heard of this recruit until 10 minutes ago, however, my confidence in this is limited...
On the other hand, I find your snap judgments to be excellent and maybe even better than your considered opinions. ;)

johnb
05-27-2016, 06:24 AM
On the other hand, I find your snap judgments to be excellent and maybe even better than your considered opinions. ;)

I totally agree. I can get pretty thoughtless when I think too much.

nmduke2001
05-27-2016, 03:39 PM
Jay Urich chose South Carolina.

FerryFor50
05-27-2016, 04:08 PM
Jay Urich chose South Carolina.

Well, hope he likes sitting behind 2 other guys.

I can't imagine all 3 stick around South Carolina. One will likely transfer when the starting spots get solidified.

rhynelander
05-28-2016, 02:04 AM
Well a little good news for Duke after missing out on the QB and having the talented LB open his recruitment back up, a 3 star safety committed! Also has a pretty incredible name to go with his skills, Lummie Young.

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-lands-commitment-from-Three-Star-2017-Safety-Lummie-Young--45530971

IsInTheDetails
05-28-2016, 07:55 AM
Well a little good news for Duke after missing out on the QB and having the talented LB open his recruitment back up, a 3 star safety committed! Also has a pretty incredible name to go with his skills, Lummie Young.

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-lands-commitment-from-Three-Star-2017-Safety-Lummie-Young--45530971

Nice to get a good bit of recruiting news for DukeGang after those two letdowns. We've got a solid group of nine commits right now in the the class of 2017, but there are a lot of spots still to fill yet.

In that 247 article, Lummie offers a nice shout-out to Coach Derek Jones. I'm only a casual observer of football recruiting, but something evident even to me is that Coach Jones is a dynamic personality and an excellent recruiter for Duke.

johnb
05-28-2016, 08:06 PM
Well, hope he likes sitting behind 2 other guys.

I can't imagine all 3 stick around South Carolina. One will likely transfer when the starting spots get solidified.

I thought the same thing last year when 2, 4 star qb's signed with Carolina (including the guy who'd verbaled with us).

I have a different perspective on basketball, partly because I like for us to have more high school all Americans than starting position, but it's also because there is a lot more PT fluidity in hoops, while there's generally one qb, preferably for years.

Otoh, I like the guys we have.

chrishoke
05-29-2016, 10:05 PM
BangbangDukegang!

Olympic Fan
05-30-2016, 12:44 AM
Welcome Joshua Blackwell, a 5-10, 170 pound running back from Buford, Ga.

Great offer list -- Michigan State, Penn State, UNC, Louisville, Georgia Tech ...

Looks like a very solid pickup.

IsInTheDetails
05-30-2016, 09:02 AM
Welcome Joshua Blackwell, a 5-10, 170 pound running back from Buford, Ga.

Great offer list -- Michigan State, Penn State, UNC, Louisville, Georgia Tech ...

Looks like a very solid pickup.

As I've learned from others on this board, offer lists are a decent (perhaps the best?) indicator of a recruit's relative potential, and in this case that suggests a very good pickup indeed.

I'm curious to know what position(s) we recruited him for, as he's listed as "ATH," "RB," and "CB" in various places, and his highlight reel (http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4658116/josh-blackwell) on Hudl is a fun mashup of special teams (returner and coverage), offense (running back and receiver), and defense (cornerback).

Without the aid of cinder blocks to calibrate, he looks like he's got good height and a solid frame, and while he doesn't appear to have blazing straight-line speed, he's certainly got explosive quickness in small space.

We're now roughly halfway through the class of 2017, having 10 commits in the truck (even with Brooks' recent de-commitment). There are spots to fill across positions, but I'd have to guess that priorities now are QB, D-line, and CB. Anyone have a more informed view than that? Any specific names on the near-term radar?

richmclean
05-30-2016, 11:31 AM
As I've learned from others on this board, offer lists are a decent (perhaps the best?) indicator of a recruit's relative potential, and in this case that suggests a very good pickup indeed.

I'm curious to know what position(s) we recruited him for, as he's listed as "ATH," "RB," and "CB" in various places, and his highlight reel (http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4658116/josh-blackwell) on Hudl is a fun mashup of special teams (returner and coverage), offense (running back and receiver), and defense (cornerback).

Without the aid of cinder blocks to calibrate, he looks like he's got good height and a solid frame, and while he doesn't appear to have blazing straight-line speed, he's certainly got explosive quickness in small space.

We're now roughly halfway through the class of 2017, having 10 commits in the truck (even with Brooks' recent de-commitment). There are spots to fill across positions, but I'd have to guess that priorities now are QB, D-line, and CB. Anyone have a more informed view than that? Any specific names on the near-term radar?

The offer list is impressive and includes:
Cincinnati
Georgia Tech
Indiana
Iowa State
Louisville
Michigan State
Missouri
North Carolina
Northwestern
Penn State
Vanderbilt
West Virginia

That's 3 ACC, 4 Big 10, 2 SEC, 2 Big 12 and 1 AAC plus other assorted smaller conferences with many teams being conference leaders. Very nice pickup!

Olympic Fan
05-30-2016, 11:43 AM

Although Blackwell is listed on many sites as an athlete, he was recruited at Duke as a running back. That doesn't mean he won't also see action as a return man (he looks very suited for that role) or he could be moved to CB or WR.

As for Duke's remaining top targets, it's still a little early to decipher who is at the top of the list. Duke is still recruiting a bunch of guys.

I do think that the top-rated quarterback that Duke is in the picture for is Jack Sears, a 6-3, 205-pounder from San Clemente, Calif. I'm not sure if he's actually Cut's top target, but he is rated higher than our other remaining QB targets. Right now, most seem to think that Cal is the favorite, but UCLA, Tennessee and Duke are in the picture.

The best bet at QB might be Alex Faniel, a huge (6-6, 230-pound) dual threat QB from a small town in Virginia. Duke is strong, with UNC, NC State, Georgia and others in the picture.

Both Sears and Faniel are consensus three-star prospects.

We're still involved for several four-star players, but none are QBs.

Note: None of this is premium stuff, so take it for what it's worth.

IsInTheDetails
05-30-2016, 04:24 PM
Duke picked up its third recruit of the long weekend (http://247sports.com/Article/Duke-Blue-Devils-football-Top25-recruiting-class-45558553) in Gavin Holmes, a speedy wide receiver out of north Texas.

The linked article by Steve Wiltfong of 247Sports includes "really good hands" in its description of Holmes, which is music to my ears. Now we just need to find the right guy to get him the ball. . .

BangBang DukeGang!

Skitzle
05-30-2016, 04:46 PM
Duke picked up its third recruit of the long weekend (http://247sports.com/Article/Duke-Blue-Devils-football-Top25-recruiting-class-45558553) in Gavin Holmes, a speedy wide receiver out of north Texas.

The linked article by Steve Wiltfong of 247Sports includes "really good hands" in its description of Holmes, which is music to my ears. Now we just need to find the right guy to get him the ball. . .

BangBang DukeGang!

Is his 40 better than 4.3 seconds. Otherwise, we have speedier :)

Olympic Fan
05-30-2016, 05:34 PM
I got Holmes with a confirmed 4.43 time in the 40, which may not be the fastest in the class, but it's pretty good. He's also listed as 5-11, 178.

A three-star prospects with long offer list -- the best offers seem to be from Wisconsin, Iowa, Utah, BYU and Boise ... he also has a Harvard offer, so I assume his academics are solid.

Bob Green
05-31-2016, 07:24 AM
I've been off the grid all weekend so I am catching up on sports news. It is great to see we had a busy and successful weekend with football recruits. It appears the newest additions have good size and speed.

johnb
05-31-2016, 09:06 AM
I got Holmes with a confirmed 4.43 time in the 40, which may not be the fastest in the class, but it's pretty good. He's also listed as 5-11, 178.

A three-star prospects with long offer list -- the best offers seem to be from Wisconsin, Iowa, Utah, BYU and Boise ... he also has a Harvard offer, so I assume his academics are solid.

Holmes is an interesting recruit. He played for a 1-9 high school team and is turning down offers from Harvard, Penn, and Cornell.

In the same 247 article, it appears that Fresno State has offered scholarships to 5 different defensive backs who play at DeSoto. Adding in Bolden and Matt Jones, it seems that DeSoto has a pretty decent sports program.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Even-more-prospects-emerging-in-Texas-45357097

airowe
05-31-2016, 03:12 PM
Although Blackwell is listed on many sites as an athlete, he was recruited at Duke as a running back.

Blackwell was recruited to play cornerback at Duke actually. Still just one running back in the class -- Marvin Hubbard.

Olympic Fan
05-31-2016, 04:24 PM
Blackwell was recruited to play cornerback at Duke actually. Still just one running back in the class -- Marvin Hubbard.

Sorry, I was basing my statement on John Watson's story on Scout, which claims Blackwell was recruited as a running back:

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story/1673697-blue-devils-land-highly-sought-ga-athlete

airowe
06-01-2016, 09:21 AM
Sorry, I was basing my statement on John Watson's story on Scout, which claims Blackwell was recruited as a running back:

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story/1673697-blue-devils-land-highly-sought-ga-athlete

No worries. Just didn't want there to be any confusion for running back recruits that are looking at Duke to think their spot might be taken. Duke's taking two, at most, in this class.

duke blue brewcrew
06-02-2016, 07:39 AM
I am so ready for this Duke Football SNL event to take place. It would be REALLY encouraging to continue the late May momentum, and get some big commitments coming out of this camp. Despite the lack of shiny 4* recruits in this class to date, Duke is putting together a solid class. I'm still hopeful for some WOW pieces to be added coming down the stretch.

Bob Green
06-02-2016, 07:52 AM
Summer Football Camps are this month:

David Cutcliffe QB College - June 16 & 17
General Football Camp - June 5 & 18
Specialist Camp - June 14 & 15
Big Man Camp - June 12 & 13

Duke Football ‏@Duke_FB · 23h23 hours ago

Camps start this month. Don't miss out - http://goduke.us/FBCamps

Increased recruiting activity is the norm during these events.

nmduke2001
06-02-2016, 10:24 AM
With Briles out at Baylor, look for a decommit here: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/208176/kellen-mond

Looks like we offered him previously. Would love to see him in Durham.

Official last night. Looks like Auburn is the leader...
http://usatodayhss.com/2016/star-qb-recruit-kellen-mond-decommits-from-baylor

Also sounds like 7 kids did not show up for summer practice/school this week and are looking to be released.
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/baylor-bears-2016-recruiting-class-release-from-scholarships-art-briles-060116

NSDukeFan
06-02-2016, 11:34 AM
Summer Football Camps are this month:

David Cutcliffe QB College - June 16 & 17
General Football Camp - June 5 & 18
Specialist Camp - June 14 & 15
Big Man Camp - June 12 & 13

Increased recruiting activity is the norm during these events.

Is Wojo coming back for the June 12, 13th camp? ��

Bob Green
06-06-2016, 04:04 PM
Here is an article on QB Jack Sears:

http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/QB-Jack-Sears-headed-to-the-Elite-11-finals-and-The-Opening-45665071

Sears has become the "it" name this spring, since a stellar performance at the U.S. Army All-American Underclassmen Combine in San Antonio, Texas, in January. Since that showing, Duke, Tennessee, UCLA, USC, Cal, North Carolina, Texas A&M and many othres have extended scholarship offers.

There will be stiff competition for this guys services.

OldPhiKap
06-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Is Wojo coming back for the June 12, 13th camp? ��

NSDukeFan with the post of the week. If not longer.

IsInTheDetails
06-08-2016, 11:30 PM
. . .and a heck of a lot taller.

Latest commit is from Patrick Leitten (http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-lands-talented-offensive-tackle-45713472), a 6'7" (or 6'8", depending on source) offensive tackle that was just offered by Cut over the weekend. Leitten also held offers from Vandy and Wake, but it seems his stock was very much on the rise, drawing attention from some big name programs.

This guy puts an extra cinder in our blocks up front.

RepoMan
06-09-2016, 10:23 AM
. . .and a heck of a lot taller.

Latest commit is from Patrick Leitten (http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-lands-talented-offensive-tackle-45713472), a 6'7" (or 6'8", depending on source) offensive tackle that was just offered by Cut over the weekend. Leitten also held offers from Vandy and Wake, but it seems his stock was very much on the rise, drawing attention from some big name programs.

This guy puts an extra cinder in our blocks up front.

Love that size! Now, he just needs weight -- clearly he has the frame.

OldPhiKap
06-09-2016, 10:48 AM
Vandy, Wake and Duke -- he needs to get out of the library, and over to the Krispy Kreme!

Welcome to #DukeGang, sir!

chrishoke
06-09-2016, 11:31 AM
According to Rivals Patrick is our highest rated commit in this class.

Bob Green
06-09-2016, 04:12 PM
These big offensive linemen are the foundation of future success. Patrick Leitten is from Brentwood, TN the same city that gave us Lucas Patrick.

Bob Green
06-13-2016, 07:15 PM
TE Noah Gray (6'5" 225) is the newest Blue Devil. He reportedly ran a 4.7 40. That's great speed for a guy that big. Lots of possibilities.

David Cutcliffe
‏@DavidCutcliffe
Ring the Bell!! SOUND ALL ALARMS!!! It's beyond hot!! It's nuclear now!! DUKE FOOTBALL BANG💥BANG💥 DukeGang17

OldPhiKap
06-13-2016, 10:48 PM
TE Noah Gray (6'5" 225) is the newest Blue Devil. He reportedly ran a 4.7 40. That's great speed for a guy that big. Lots of possibilities.

Welcome Noah!

IsInTheDetails
06-13-2016, 11:02 PM

Along with Jake Marwede, Noah Gray gives us two really strong 2017 prospects at the TE position. 247Sports has them rated as our top two prospects in the class, in fact.

We've also picked up a handful of O-lineman, two receivers, and a running back. Presumably we're still looking for a QB and another RB on that side of the ball?

Here's hoping the truck starts to fill up on the defensive side, as well. We've got some a few nice prospects for the secondary, but I see only one commit in the front six (assuming our 4-2-5 lineup) in OLB Chris Rumph.

djp10
06-16-2016, 02:56 PM
what's the opposite of bang bang? hopefully it all turns out for the best for everyone.

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story/1679059-gavin-holmes-decommits-from-duke

CameronBornAndBred
06-16-2016, 03:22 PM
what's the opposite of bang bang? hopefully it all turns out for the best for everyone.

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story/1679059-gavin-holmes-decommits-from-duke
iPhones discourage use of capital "I"s.

Avvocato
06-16-2016, 03:47 PM

I might flip my view on satellite camps now (just kidding ... sort of). Of course, part of the big boy game of college football recruiting when you start recruiting better talent. Too bad though.

chrishoke
06-19-2016, 08:26 AM
BangBangDukeGang

Duke football received a huge commitment last night from a FOUR STAR defensive end from Georgia who excels at pass rush. Happy Father's Day Duke Football fans!

Faison1
06-19-2016, 11:22 AM
BangBangDukeGang

Duke football received a huge commitment last night from a FOUR STAR defensive end from Georgia who excels at pass rush. Happy Father's Day Duke Football fans!

That is awesome!!! Nice way to stop the bleeding!!!

Happy Father's Day, fellow Football Fans!!!

johnb
06-19-2016, 01:14 PM
Welcome, Drew Jordan. It can be tough to follow football recruiting. more players. Fewer national stages. More decommitments. Nevertheless, Uncle Drew + Mr Jordan has the skills to be a difference maker, especially with our cheetahs, who need qb pressure in order to shine. Huge pick up!

Btw, I don't know about "the bleeding." An occasional decommitment is to be expected and is nbd.

This particular guy is positioned to anchor the defense, head to the nfl, and be a productive adult afterward. Happy to have you aboard, Mr Drew.

OldPhiKap
06-19-2016, 01:33 PM
Welcome Drew!

Bob Green
06-19-2016, 02:37 PM
Happy Father's Day Duke Football fans!

Thanks for the great news! An ESPN300 4 Star recruit is definitely exciting.

Great pickup at a position of need ...

Drew Jordan, a 6-2, 236-pound DE from Georgia. Confirmed 40 time: 4.65

His offer sheet included Michigan State, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, UNC, Nebraska, BC and a bunch of others. He was also being recruited by Alabama, Notre Dame and Clemson (but had not been offered yet by those three).

He's 3-star on rivals, but not only is he an ESPN 4-star, he makes their top 300.

His offer sheet is impressive.

peloton
06-19-2016, 02:39 PM
Younger posters may not get the (cinematic) reference but all I have to say is, "here comes Mr. Jordan"! (No, I was not born in the 40's...I'm not that long in the tooth :).) Welcome aboard, Drew! The fans, coaches, and your future teammates all look forward to seeing you wreak havoc in the opponents' backfield.

Faison1
06-20-2016, 09:28 PM
Btw, I don't know about "the bleeding." An occasional decommitment is to be expected and is nbd

Losing a 4-Star Linebacker, followed by a 3-Star wide receiver in a relatively short time period is somewhat unexpected in Cut's tenure.

Having said that, yes, you're right..."bleeding" is rather strong. I use that term when I've lost 4 games in a row during a tennis match. I should have said, "stem the tide".

jimsumner
06-20-2016, 10:45 PM
Losing a 4-Star Linebacker, followed by a 3-Star wide receiver in a relatively short time period is somewhat unexpected in Cut's tenure.

Having said that, yes, you're right..."bleeding" is rather strong. I use that term when I've lost 4 games in a row during a tennis match. I should have said, "stem the tide".

Duke lost 4-star tight end Tyler Petite and 3-star wide receiver Flynn Nagel in a matter of days right before signing day a couple of years back.

At least Duke has time to replace Brooks and Holmes.

Losing Brooks does hurt. No question.

Bob Green
07-01-2016, 04:57 AM
A nice Tweet to see bright and early in the morning:

David Cutcliffe ‏@DavidCutcliffe 7h7 hours ago
I'm Hearing an Explosion down south!!! There it is!!! BANG BANG DUKEGANG!!! Big Loud and FAST!! DukeGang17!!!

Defensive back Leonard Johnson.

EDIT: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2623848/leonard-johnson

6'3" 185 with a 4.55 40 yard dash

OldPhiKap
07-01-2016, 07:34 AM

Welcome Mr. Johnson!!

devildeac
07-01-2016, 09:01 AM

Interesting. All of his highlights from that link are basketball :rolleyes: .

At 6-3 and 185, Cut'll probably turn him into a DE. Or maybe a LB. :o

Thanks for finding, Bob.

Welcome.

chrishoke
07-01-2016, 09:54 AM
Size and speed - what's not to like. Welcome to the Duke football family!

Bob Green
07-01-2016, 03:03 PM
Interesting. All of his highlights from that link are basketball :rolleyes:

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2623848/5721d4b819a53e2a187690c3

devildeac
07-01-2016, 04:11 PM
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2623848/5721d4b819a53e2a187690c3

Excellent. Thanks.

IsInTheDetails
07-04-2016, 10:51 PM
BangBang.

Duke picked up a commitment today (http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-landed-commitment-from-Three-Star-2017-S-Michael-Carter-II-46094265) from three-star safety, Michael Carter II. Scout link here (http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story/1683660-duke-lands-georgia-safety-michael-carter-ii).

Carter had offers from Clemson, North Carolina, Ole Miss, Vandy, Wake, and West Virginia, among others. Sounds like he's a high-character, well-rounded young man. Perfect fit for DukeGang.

Welcome, Michael.

Bob Green
07-05-2016, 04:57 AM
Duke continues to achieve success recruiting in Georgia. Welcome to Duke! This is verbal #15 so the number of available scholarships is quickly shrinking. The actual number available is an unknown but my guestimate is there are only three to five left depending upon attrition. What positions are the priority?

IsInTheDetails
07-05-2016, 11:11 AM
Duke continues to achieve success recruiting in Georgia. Welcome to Duke! This is verbal #15 so the number of available scholarships is quickly shrinking. The actual number available is an unknown but my guestimate is there are only three to five left depending upon attrition. What positions are the priority?

I've been wondering the same thing myself, Bob. Simply assuming a "typical" recruiting class of 20, we've got five spots to fill. Our 15 existing commits break down by position group as follows:

QB - 0
RB - 1
WR - 1
TE - 2
O-Line - 4
D-Line - 1
LB - 1
Secondary - 5

I can't imagine we'd take any more on the O-Line, and the secondary is looking pretty full, too. We don't need a kicker or punter in this class. From my armchair coaching position, I'd want one each of QB, RB, WR, D-Line, and LB to round out the class.

It's hard to believe we already know the majority of this DukeGang17 class. Does the staff get more selective at this point, hoping for some elite recruits later in the cycle? That doesn't seem like our typical approach, and all else equal, I'd rather not play much of the recruiting roulette that seems to unfold around bowl season.

Bob Green
07-05-2016, 12:31 PM
From my armchair coaching position, I'd want one each of QB, RB, WR, D-Line, and LB to round out the class.

One challenge in attempting to figure out position priorities is the fact players switch positions. RB, WR and DB are somewhat interchangeable. The same goes for DE and LB and to a smaller degree OL and DL.

We did not sign a QB in 2016 so I have to believe signing one in 2017 is a priority. After QB, the scholarships available numbers might be at a spot where the staff is looking at most talented football players available rather than specific positions. Who knows?

IsInTheDetails
07-11-2016, 11:47 PM
DukeGang17 picked up a commitment from Ben Frye (http://247sports.com/Player/Ben-Frye-91983), a defensive end out of Ohio. Frye has good size at 6'3", 240 lbs. He chose Duke over offers from Boston College, Wake, and Navy, among others.

That puts Duke's 2017 class at 16 members.

Welcome, Ben.

Bob Green
07-12-2016, 05:03 AM
Frye has good size at 6'3", 240 lbs.

Adding another defensive lineman to the class is good news. Welcome to Duke, Ben Frye!

OldPhiKap
07-12-2016, 07:40 AM
Really nice class coming together. Congrats to the staff,cand welcome to Duke guys!

Bob Green
07-15-2016, 08:17 PM
Here is a nice article on QB target Jack Sears:

http://www.sanclementetimes.com/all-eyes-on-jack-sears-following-elite-11/

It has come down to Duke, UCLA, USC and Utah.

Those are the four colleges San Clemente High School’s soon-to-be senior quarterback Jack Sears is looking at the closest, in no particular order. His decision on where he will attend and play college ball is coming soon.

Another player to keep an eye on is RB Deon Jackson of Pace Academy in Atlanta.

Olympic Fan
07-15-2016, 09:33 PM
FWIW, there are three predictions for Sears on 247 -- two for UCLA, one for Southern Cal and none for Duke (or Utah).

It would be a HUGE upset if Duke lands Sears.

Watching his film, he reminds me of Ben Bennett, another Southern Cal guy, with a good arm, great accuracy and good vision. The stat I like best -- 37 TDs and just two interceptions last season. Unlike most of Cut's QB recruits, Sears is a classic dropback passer and not a dual threat guy (I know he ran for 862 yards last year, but he won't do that in college, although he does have good mobility).

I hope he knows that San Clemente's most famous resident attended Duke (albeit just the Law School).

IsInTheDetails
07-20-2016, 10:57 PM
FWIW, there are three predictions for Sears on 247 -- two for UCLA, one for Southern Cal and none for Duke (or Utah).

It would be a HUGE upset if Duke lands Sears.

It would definitely be an upset for Duke to earn a commitment from Sears over the likes of UCLA and Southern Cal. So. . .while I won't get my hopes up just yet. . .Duke did just pick up its first prediction in the 247 Crystal Ball. There are still just three votes, one each for Duke, UCLA, and Southern Cal.

Jim3k
07-21-2016, 12:53 AM
Watching his film, he reminds me of Ben Bennett, another Southern Cal guy, with a good arm, great accuracy and good vision.
I hope he knows that San Clemente's most famous resident attended Duke (albeit just the Law School).

Not to put too fine a point on it, Ben was from Sunnyvale in the Bay Area next to Santa Clara, not San Clemente on the way to San Diego.

johnb
07-21-2016, 07:15 AM
It would definitely be an upset for Duke to earn a commitment from Sears over the likes of UCLA and Southern Cal. So. . .while I won't get my hopes up just yet. . .Duke did just pick up its first prediction in the 247 Crystal Ball. There are still just three votes, one each for Duke, UCLA, and Southern Cal.

Duke now has 2 votes in the Sears 247 sweepstakes (Adam Rowe and a Notre Dame guy). This puts us in the hypothetical lead.

wolfpackdevil
07-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Duke now has 2 votes in the Sears 247 sweepstakes (Adam Rowe and a Notre Dame guy). This puts us in the hypothetical lead.

Both Rowe and "the Notre Dame guy" have very high accuracy when it comes to these predictions.

In my opinion, Sears would be the most important Duke football recruit ever. According to 247, he would be the third highest-ranked recruit ever behind Oghobaase and Bracey. With our QB1 and QB2 both being seniors, Sears would most likely be our QB1 in 2017 as a true freshman if he ends up at Duke. Not to put too much on one guy, but his decision could drastically change the success of our team over the next four years.

jimsumner
07-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Both Rowe and "the Notre Dame guy" have very high accuracy when it comes to these predictions.

In my opinion, Sears would be the most important Duke football recruit ever. According to 247, he would be the third highest-ranked recruit ever behind Oghobaase and Bracey. With our QB1 and QB2 both being seniors, Sears would most likely be our QB1 in 2017 as a true freshman if he ends up at Duke. Not to put too much on one guy, but his decision could drastically change the success of our team over the next four years.

Sirk is a redshirt senior. Boehme is a redshirt junior and has two years of eligibility remaining. Boehme is the presumptive 2017 starter.

wolfpackdevil
07-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Sirk is a redshirt senior. Boehme is a redshirt junior and has two years of eligibility remaining. Boehme is the presumptive 2017 starter.

My apologies. But with what we've seen from Parker, I would imagine there would be an open competition if Sears ends up at Duke. Unless there is a drastic change in his ability in the pocket, I would be shocked to see Cut give him the job without a lengthy look at other options.

IsInTheDetails
07-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Coach Cut offered a 'bang bang dukegang' on Twitter an hour ago, hinting at the defensive side of the ball. Anyone know who?

jimsumner
07-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Coach Cut offered a 'bang bang dukegang' on Twitter an hour ago, hinting at the defensive side of the ball. Anyone know who?

Derrick Tangelo, defensive tackle from Maryland. Described as a late blooming sleeper.

IsInTheDetails
07-21-2016, 02:12 PM
Derrick Tangelo, defensive tackle from Maryland. Described as a late blooming sleeper.

Thanks, Jim. At 6'1", 278, he could certainly bloom into a run stopper up the middle.

One thing I'm especially keen to watch is development of our D-line play under Coach Albert over the next few years.

Bob Green
07-21-2016, 04:19 PM
DT Derrick Tangelo is verbal commit number 17. How many more slots are available? Three? Four? Maybe five? I see the class at 20 - 22 tops. At what point does the staff become very selective? Are they already there?

It is going to be intriguing watching the young defensive linemen develop under new coach Ben Albert. It is going to be intriguing watching the 2-Deep defensive linemen develop under Ben Albert.

Avvocato
07-21-2016, 06:39 PM
DT Derrick Tangelo is verbal commit number 17. How many more slots are available? Three? Four? Maybe five? I see the class at 20 - 22 tops. At what point does the staff become very selective? Are they already there?

It is going to be intriguing watching the young defensive linemen develop under new coach Ben Albert. It is going to be intriguing watching the 2-Deep defensive linemen develop under Ben Albert.

I have to admit, I've never been this excited to see a college defensive line coach do his thing (just saying). I'm really curious to see his impact on the team. From a recruiting standpoint, I don't know the science to it, but I would imagine that Duke should hold a spot for Sears/quarterback, if there's another prize they think they are in the mix for, okay, but otherwise, just keep accumulating talent. I think we just keep accumulating talent (other than real needs) and figure out where to play them. That and a nickel won't even get you a cup of coffee any more, but that would be my philosophy.

OldPhiKap
07-21-2016, 06:59 PM

I have to admit, I've never been this excited to see a college defensive line coach do his thing (just saying). I'm really curious to see his impact on the team. From a recruiting standpoint, I don't know the science to it, but I would imagine that Duke should hold a spot for Sears/quarterback, if there's another prize they think they are in the mix for, okay, but otherwise, just keep accumulating talent. I think we just keep accumulating talent (other than real needs) and figure out where to play them. That and a nickel won't even get you a cup of coffee any more, but that would be my philosophy.

If Ben Albert can replicate the results he got at BC, we're gonna be stout.

IsInTheDetails
07-22-2016, 05:44 PM

The 247 Crystal Ball now reads Duke 3, Southern Cal 1. All three Duke-pickers have strong accuracy records, including our Duke insider, Adam Rowe.

My Ouija board, on the other hand, just keeps spelling a bunch of gibberish when I ask about football recruiting.

bob blue devil
07-26-2016, 05:56 AM
here's an article (http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1689325-scout-150-qb-closing-in-on-a-decision) with a bit of a recruiting update on sears

Bob Green
07-26-2016, 11:30 AM
here's an article (http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1689325-scout-150-qb-closing-in-on-a-decision) with a bit of a recruiting update on sears

Money quote:

One thing we gathered is the Duke Blue Devils, once thought to be more of a darkhorse candidate, is now a serious player. Sears had two very good visits to Durham and he has a strong comfort level with the coaches, players and the offense.

OldPhiKap
07-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Money quote:

Thanks, that is good to hear.

If I was a QB, playing for Cut would certainly be on my immediate short list.

duke79
07-26-2016, 02:16 PM

This would be a HUGE get for Duke and Coach Cut.......if it happens. I'm surprised he's not considering Stanford, as a West Coast kid?

kcduke75
07-26-2016, 03:27 PM
This would be a HUGE get for Duke and Coach Cut...if it happens. I'm surprised he's not considering Stanford, as a West Coast kid?

Sears could open the floodgates for Cut like Dawkins and Banks did for Duke.

Come on down!!!

Olympic Fan
07-26-2016, 04:52 PM
Sears could open the floodgates for Cut like Dawkins and Banks did for Duke.

Come on down!!!

I'm not a recruiting guru, but Stanford landed the nation's No. 3 pro-style QB prospect last year ... maybe Sears doesn't want to be in the class behind him. I think that had something to do with the youngest McCaffrey brother -- a four-star QB in this year's class -- passing on Stanford.

Bob Green
07-26-2016, 08:18 PM
I'm not a recruiting guru, but Stanford landed the nation's No. 3 pro-style QB prospect last year ... maybe Sears doesn't want to be in the class behind him. I think that had something to do with the youngest McCaffrey brother -- a four-star QB in this year's class -- passing on Stanford.

From what I'm reading, a key factor for Sears to Duke is the possibility of immediate playing time.

Avvocato
07-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned already (my apologies if it has), but ESPN now has Duke's recruiting class at #22 in its class rankings for the 2017 class. We had been out of the rankings for most of this recruiting season. I have no idea if we'll stay in the rankings. Still a lot to be decided. But a nice bit of news regarding our class. For those who are ESPN insiders, the link is here: http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/classrankings.

English
07-29-2016, 02:35 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned already (my apologies if it has), but ESPN now has Duke's recruiting class at #22 in its class rankings for the 2017 class. We had been out of the rankings for most of this recruiting season. I have no idea if we'll stay in the rankings. Still a lot to be decided. But a nice bit of news regarding our class. For those who are ESPN insiders, the link is here: http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/classrankings.

Just got a bit of good news...Bang Bang Duke Gang '17! Apparently Duke landed the #33 RB nationally (according to 247) Deon Jackson out of Pace in Atlanta. I caught wind through the Blue Devil Lair email service, so those guys continue to do good work.

According to the 247 article cited below, this speedster had a distinguished list of offers.

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-lands-Three-Star-2017-RB-Deon-Jackson-46488152?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=160729_131238_Duke%20Blue%20Devils&utm_content=Link

Bob Green
07-29-2016, 02:41 PM
Just got a bit of good news...Bang Bang Duke Gang '17! Apparently Duke landed the #33 RB nationally (according to 247) Deon Jackson out of Pace in Atlanta.

This is a big deal. Deon Jackson is a coveted recruit.

OldPhiKap
07-29-2016, 02:45 PM
Just got a bit of good news...Bang Bang Duke Gang '17! Apparently Duke landed the #33 RB nationally (according to 247) Deon Jackson out of Pace in Atlanta. I caught wind through the Blue Devil Lair email service, so those guys continue to do good work.

According to the 247 article cited below, this speedster had a distinguished list of offers.

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-lands-Three-Star-2017-RB-Deon-Jackson-46488152?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=160729_131238_Duke%20Blue%20Devils&utm_content=Link

Welcome, Deon!

Another great get by the Cut and crew. Keep moving forward.

Avvocato
07-29-2016, 03:08 PM

Great get and nice find. Here's a video by him describing his recruitment and making his announcement that he's picking Duke. Welcome Deon. Another great weapon. I hope Jack Sears is watching.

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1690428-watch-deon-jackson-commits-to

JasonEvans
07-29-2016, 03:53 PM

I wonder if he is friends with any of the fellow elite athletes at Pace Academy... like, perhaps, a certain 6-10 PF who has led Pace to back-to-back state titles in hoops.

Just wondering...

Olympic Fan
07-29-2016, 04:25 PM
Interesting difference on web sites ...

At 247, Jackson is listed at 4.34 in the 40, which is phenomenal

On ESPN, he's listed at 4.64, which is good, but nothing special for a P5 running back. Scout also has him listed at 4.64. Rivals doesn't offer a 40 time on its free site.

No big deal ... such listed times are notoriously unreliable. I just thought it interesting.

More meaningful is the fact that Jackson has 15 verified P5 offers. That's pretty solid.

Very happy to get him.

devildeac
07-29-2016, 04:26 PM

Oooh, that's the guy you've been (safely) rumoring about on other sites not named DBR. Nice job, Mr. Green!

airowe
07-29-2016, 04:34 PM

On ESPN, he's listed at 4.64, which is good, but nothing special for a P5 running back. Scout also has him listed at 4.64. Rivals doesn't offer a 40 time on its free site.

No big deal ... such listed times are notoriously unreliable. I just thought it interesting.

More meaningful is the fact that Jackson has 15 verified P5 offers. That's pretty solid.

Very happy to get him.

He ran a 4.37 (hand-timed) at Duke during his private workout there this summer.

Bob Green
07-29-2016, 04:39 PM
Oooh, that's the guy you've been (safely) rumoring about on other sites not named DBR. Nice job, Mr. Green!

Thank you! I would have rumored about it here, but then I would have had to give myself a rumor mongering infraction. :cool:

Avvocato
07-29-2016, 04:40 PM

Very happy to get him.

I noticed that as well. If you read the ESPN scouting report, they mention that he doesn't have elite speed in their analysis. I know I have no idea. If his speed is somewhere in the middle, we're still in great shape. Great pick up by Cut and crew.

Bob Green
07-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Noah Igbinoghene ‏@Noah_Igbo9 1h1 hour ago
Top 5 Schools!! God Is Good!!

On Twitter, the wide receiver stated Duke and Notre Dame are co-leaders followed by Virginia Tech, Missouri and Maryland in no particular order.

devildeac
07-29-2016, 05:10 PM
On Twitter, the wide receiver stated Duke and Notre Dame are co-leaders followed by Virginia Tech, Missouri and Maryland in no particular order.

Jack Sears, c'mon down!

Bob Green
07-29-2016, 06:04 PM
Deon Jackson junior season highlight video:

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2883718/5721e9249a90ec5540af2574

budwom
07-30-2016, 08:42 AM
He ran a 4.37 (hand-timed) at Duke during his private workout there this summer.

I've noticed that the Duke hand timed times have been notoriously optimistic.
At the 2016 NFL combine, only ONE running back achieved a forty time of 4.40 or faster....

Regardless of that, Jackson's a fine recruit with a great offer sheet, that's what matters.

Bob Green
07-31-2016, 10:21 AM
Marquis Waters a 3* Safety from Florida will be announcing his decision today:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoqHsBpWEAAMbIB.jpg

He will be choosing from Duke, Iowa State, Maryland, Virginia Tech and West Virginia.

devildeac
07-31-2016, 11:20 AM
Marquis Waters a 3* Safety from Florida will be announcing his decision today:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoqHsBpWEAAMbIB.jpg

He will be choosing from Duke, Iowa State, Maryland, Virginia Tech and West Virginia.

We've got to be nearing our quota by now. How many schollies still available? (figuring they'll be one waiting for Sears when he announces, hopefully sometime soon :D)

Bob Green
07-31-2016, 12:03 PM
Marquis Waters has announced his verbal commitment to Duke!

OldPhiKap
07-31-2016, 12:04 PM
Marquis Waters has announced his verbal commitment to Duke!

Welcome Mr. Waters!

johnb
07-31-2016, 12:51 PM
I noticed that as well. If you read the ESPN scouting report, they mention that he doesn't have elite speed in their analysis. I know I have no idea. If his speed is somewhere in the middle, we're still in great shape. Great pick up by Cut and crew.

If he regularly gets run down after 40 yard runs, I'd mostly remember the regular 40 yard runs.

And congrats on the new commit--another terrific recruiting season.

devildeac
07-31-2016, 12:53 PM
If he regularly gets run down after 40 yard runs, I'd mostly remember the regular 40 yard runs.

And congrats on the new commit--another terrific recruiting season.

Nah, some of us would complain that he didn't have breakaway speed :rolleyes: :o .

Olympic Fan
07-31-2016, 02:01 PM
We've got to be nearing our quota by now. How many schollies still available? (figuring they'll be one waiting for Sears when he announces, hopefully sometime soon :D)

Not many left -- in fact, we're going to need some attrition (which always happens).

Duke has 84 players on scholarships going into this season -- one under the limit.

Of that number, three are true seniors (Breon Borders, Deondre Singleton and Ryan Smith) and 13 are redshirt seniors. Unless one of the three true seniors is hurt and needs a redshirt year, that means we technically have 17 openings in the next class.

Right now, we have 19 commitments (counting Mr. Waters).

But that doesn't mean we have a problem. A number of other scholarships can and will open up.

-- Every year, there are a number of redshirt juniors who are minor contributors who graduate with their class. Of the 12 redshirt juniors on this rosters, several are major contributors -- right now, DT Mike Ramsey, S Phillip Carter, C Austin Davis, OT Gabe Brandner are listed as starters. CB Byron Fields is a two-year starter trying to come back from injury. OG Sterling Korona is fighting for a starting job. QB Parker Boehme is the No. 2 at his position. S Jake Kite and DE Dom McDonald are definitely slated for playing time. That leaves RB Joe Ajeigbe, RB Quay Mann and WR Quay Chambers. This year will be important in determining whether any of those guys return for a fifth year or graduate on time. For instance, McDonald has been a minor contributor (88 snaps in three years), but he had a real chance to step up this year. If he does, he returns ... if he doesn't, he probably graduates. Same for Mann and Chambers. Ajeigbe is a special case. He's not much of a contributor as a running back, but he's a VERY important player on special teams (especially as a lead blocker on kickoff returns).

-- Every year, there are a number of career-ending injuries. Impossible to predict and certainly not something to hope for. But they happen.

-- There could also be dismissals. A year ago, three players were kicked off the team for various transgressions, including a couple of top flight receivers. Again, not something you hope for or even count on, but it's a strong possibility.

-- Then there's DE Danny Doyle. He's a walk-on who was given a scholarship at the end of spring. Honestly, I don't know the circumstances of that award. Was it like what happens in basketball most years -- when K has an extra scholarship, he rewards a deserving walk-on with a one-year scholarship -- with the understanding that if he needs it the next year, the scholarship is lifted? I know that Doyle is currently listed as a starter at DE. If he plays a significant role this season, there is no question he keeps his scholarship. If he disappears, we'll have to see.

The point is that there is no way we can know the exact number of openings we'll have in this class. I suspect its 20-22, but it could be more (I doubt it's less).

We have room for Sears and maybe one or two other mega-recruits. But not much more than that.

devildeac
07-31-2016, 02:27 PM
Not many left -- in fact, we're going to need some attrition (which always happens).

Duke has 84 players on scholarships going into this season -- one under the limit.

Of that number, three are true seniors (Breon Borders, Deondre Singleton and Ryan Smith) and 13 are redshirt seniors. Unless one of the three true seniors is hurt and needs a redshirt year, that means we technically have 17 openings in the next class.

Right now, we have 19 commitments (counting Mr. Waters).

But that doesn't mean we have a problem. A number of other scholarships can and will open up.

-- Every year, there are a number of redshirt juniors who are minor contributors who graduate with their class. Of the 12 redshirt juniors on this rosters, several are major contributors -- right now, DT Mike Ramsey, S Phillip Carter, C Austin Davis, OT Gabe Brandner are listed as starters. CB Byron Fields is a two-year starter trying to come back from injury. OG Sterling Korona is fighting for a starting job. QB Parker Boehme is the No. 2 at his position. S Jake Kite and DE Dom McDonald are definitely slated for playing time. That leaves RB Joe Ajeigbe, RB Quay Mann and WR Quay Chambers. This year will be important in determining whether any of those guys return for a fifth year or graduate on time. For instance, McDonald has been a minor contributor (88 snaps in three years), but he had a real chance to step up this year. If he does, he returns ... if he doesn't, he probably graduates. Same for Mann and Chambers. Ajeigbe is a special case. He's not much of a contributor as a running back, but he's a VERY important player on special teams (especially as a lead blocker on kickoff returns).

-- Every year, there are a number of career-ending injuries. Impossible to predict and certainly not something to hope for. But they happen.

-- There could also be dismissals. A year ago, three players were kicked off the team for various transgressions, including a couple of top flight receivers. Again, not something you hope for or even count on, but it's a strong possibility.

-- Then there's DE Danny Doyle. He's a walk-on who was given a scholarship at the end of spring. Honestly, I don't know the circumstances of that award. Was it like what happens in basketball most years -- when K has an extra scholarship, he rewards a deserving walk-on with a one-year scholarship -- with the understanding that if he needs it the next year, the scholarship is lifted? I know that Doyle is currently listed as a starter at DE. If he plays a significant role this season, there is no question he keeps his scholarship. If he disappears, we'll have to see.

The point is that there is no way we can know the exact number of openings we'll have in this class. I suspect its 20-22, but it could be more (I doubt it's less).

We have room for Sears and maybe one or two other mega-recruits. But not much more than that.

Very helpful. Thanks. Bob Green replied in a PM earlier today and this certainly expounds on his kind and informative response to my query.

-jk
07-31-2016, 05:42 PM
And even though Cut hates it, some players take other offers after a verbal.

-jk

nmduke2001
08-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Any news on Sears? Last update I saw, he wanted to make his decision by the end of July. That obviously didn't happen. He would be a great get.

johnb
08-05-2016, 11:26 AM
Any news on Sears? Last update I saw, he wanted to make his decision by the end of July. That obviously didn't happen. He would be a great get.

None of these guys has ever been recruited like this before, so I take timetables with a salt pill--incidentally, salt pills were part of preseason football in Dallas in August. I just looked it up, and gatorade was invented in 1965, when i was 6.

But I digress.

Adam Rowe has an interesting reference over on 247 (http://247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-extends-official-scholarship-offers-to-2017-recruits-46561202).

Aside from offering scholarships to the committed guys, Duke has officially offered scholarships to 4 guys:

Four-Star QB Jack Sears

Four-Star DE Ryan Johnson

Three-Star DT Matthew Butler

Three-Star DT Axel Nyembwe

As Adam points out, the staff is looking for a great qb and strong DL help.

devildeac
08-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Our younger son-in-law just texted me:

Jack Sears!!!!!!!

I'll try to get his source. Hang on...

devildeac
08-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Our younger son-in-law just texted me:

Jack Sears!!!!!!!

I'll try to get his source. Hang on...

Here ya go:

http://duke.247sports.com/Article/BREAKING-QB-Jack-Sears-commits-to-Duke--46645318

Hope I got the whole link.

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-08-2016, 09:26 AM
Here ya go:

http://duke.247sports.com/Article/BREAKING-QB-Jack-Sears-commits-to-Duke--46645318

Hope I got the whole link.

native just texted me this great news! He's over the top!
Love, Ima

devildeac
08-08-2016, 09:36 AM
native just texted me this great news! He's over the top!
Love, Ima

Native=slow

He was faster/better-informed when he was living in a tent. ;):rolleyes:

(LOL)

GGLC
08-08-2016, 09:39 AM
Wow!!!