PDA

View Full Version : Louisville Self Imposes Ban from ACC and NCAA tourney this season!

Trooper
02-05-2016, 01:14 PM
It's been reported by multiple sources at this point. Press conference at 1:30pm to announce!

Quite the opposite way of handling their mess vs. the guys up the road...

jcannon
02-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Looks like trouble has come to a head in Louisville. No postseason this year for what looks like a pretty good basketball team.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14721089/louisville-cardinals-basketball-self-imposes-postseason-ban-2015-16-season

I will say kudos to them for taking the proper steps in this situation, and not trying to cover it up for years like some ACC schools have done recently.

The Gordog
02-05-2016, 01:17 PM
It's been reported by multiple sources at this point. Press conference at 1:30pm to announce!

Could not have happened to a nice bunch. </snark>

Tripping William
02-05-2016, 01:18 PM

Link (http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2016/02/05/sources-u-l-imposing-postseason-hoops-ban/79878760/) to the Louisville Courier-Journal online story.

JNort
02-05-2016, 01:27 PM
Wow.... didn't expect that today...

Troublemaker
02-05-2016, 01:39 PM
Welp, there goes the dream of 10 ACC teams in the NCAA tourney.

Interesting that a 15-team conference might end up going 7 consecutive years (2015-2021) or so placing only 14 teams in its conference tournament. ;)

OldPhiKap
02-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Yet another school that has more integrity than UNC. And that's not really saying a lot here.

tbyers11
02-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Watching the press conference on the link provided by Tripping William above.

Doesn't make sense from the Syracuse model: We suck this year so we will take our medicine now. I don't think Louisville is special this year, but you could make a case for them as one of the 15 or so teams with a realistic shot at winning at all.

Doesn't make sense from the UNC model: Stall, deny, stall, deny, stall. There is no way the NCAA was going to rule on anything this year regarding Louisville

Only way it makes sense to me is if the "extra benefits (we'll keep it clean)" occurred during the 2013 season and Louisville hopes that by self-imposing now shortly after they "found out" about it, they think they can keep the 2013 banner.

DallasDevil
02-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Watching the press conference on the link provided by Tripping William above.

Doesn't make sense from the Syracuse model: We suck this year so we will take our medicine now. I don't think Louisville is special this year, but you could make a case for them as one of the 15 or so teams with a realistic shot at winning at all.

Doesn't make sense from the UNC model: Stall, deny, stall, deny, stall. There is no way the NCAA was going to rule on anything this year regarding Louisvilee

Only way it makes sense to me is if the "extra benefits (we'll keep it clean)" occurred during the 2013 season and Louisville hopes that by self-imposing now shortly after they "found out" about it, they think they can keep the 2013 banner.

Other reason it makes sense is that the players on the roster have no other option for this year, and no reason to leave after this season if this is the only year that they'll have a post-season ban. If the ban was coming next year, could have impacted recruiting and/or led to transfers following this season.

SCMatt33
02-05-2016, 01:46 PM
This is really fast for this. There's always a motive for these sorts of things. I've never seen a program completely fall on the sword without reason. Normally, it would be to build up next year or help recruiting, but this team had a good chance to make a run, and had two grad transfers to boot. Taking the ban this early in the process has the advantage of actually meaning something to the committee. When Cuse did it after the hearing but before the announcement, the committee basically said it had no weight on their decision. On the other hand, you look at USC basketball and how taking a one year ban early got them treated a lot better than ISC football. That leads me to believe (and this is purely a guess on my part) that Louisville is scared of either a) a multi-year ban, b) unrevealed details of the scandal that are worse than what's in the book or c) the 2013 banner is in jeopardy. At this point, my guess would be c among those because it's hard to imagine what's worse than what's already in the book, and multi year bans are normally reserved for repeat violators. We'll see.

Trooper
02-05-2016, 01:50 PM
We are scheduled to play Louisville twice in the next 15 days. It will be very interesting to see if the team rallies around a difficult/unfair situation for them to play extra hard in their last games of the season or if they suffer a major letdown.

Winning/losing those two games will make an enormous difference in Duke's ultimate seed in the NCAA and ACC tournaments. I've generally been concerned about us going 0-2 vs. Louisville with Amile likely to miss the home game and it being tough to get a road win in the Yum center even with a great team. This could turn that equation on its head.

What do other people think?

luburch
02-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Yet Pitino is still free to coach for the time being..

OZ
02-05-2016, 02:15 PM
Doesn't make sense from the UNC model: Stall, deny, stall, deny, stall.

"Pitino repeatedly has denied any knowledge of the parties"

Well, it does look as if Pitino is making use of the "Old Roy" model.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2016, 02:16 PM
Yet Pitino is still free to coach for the time being..

According to Pitino, he is as surprised as the rest of us. He had no knowledge, of course, and is just as much a victim as these players. How could he not be free to coach?

[EYE ROLL]

I am really tired of the plausible deniability defense from coaches. If you knew, you should twist in the breeze. If you didn't know, you should have known, and should also be subject to punishment.

Kudos to UL for taking their medicine, but shame on Rick for taking a play from the Ol Roy book on ignorance.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2016, 02:17 PM
"Pitino repeatedly has denied any knowledge of the parties"

Well, it does look as if Pitino is making use of the "Old Roy" model.

Ha. I see we are on the same page here.

FerryFor50
02-05-2016, 02:17 PM
According to Pitino, he is as surprised as the rest of us. He had no knowledge, of course, and is just as much a victim as these players. How could he not be free to coach?

[EYE ROLL]

I am really tired of the plausible deniability defense from coaches. If you knew, you should twist in the breeze. If you didn't know, you should have known, and should also be subject to punishment.

Kudos to UL for taking their medicine, but shame on Rick for taking a play from the Ol Roy book on ignorance.

To be fair, he was probably at some Italian restaurant somewhere when this all was taking place... (too soon?)

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/805611/rick-pitino-admits-to-consensual-restaurant-sex-abortion-money-but-denies-rape-claim

tbyers11
02-05-2016, 02:20 PM
To be fair, he was probably at some Italian restaurant somewhere when this all was taking place... (too soon?)

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/805611/rick-pitino-admits-to-consensual-restaurant-sex-abortion-money-but-denies-rape-claim

That wouldn't have kept him from finding out for very long ;)

dukelifer
02-05-2016, 02:28 PM

Interesting- they would greatly benefit from having more teams make the NCAA tourney given the revenue sharing. Just saying...

Pghdukie
02-05-2016, 02:36 PM
That wouldn't have kept him from finding out for very long ;)

At a quiet table for 2, taking care of his business!

JNort
02-05-2016, 02:43 PM

[EYE ROLL]

I think many people feel this way but I don't see how. How could you expect any coach to know what his guys are doing? It doesn't make sense. If your kids don't want you to know somthing it isn't that hard for them to keep it from you.

Why would Russ Smith ever go up and be like "hey coach I was underage drinking, paying for *ahem* special privileges and just all around making decisions you wouldn't approve of". He wouldn't and most people wouldn't.

Reilly
02-05-2016, 02:45 PM

Is the bolded phrase a direct quote from the coach?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2016, 02:48 PM
I think many people feel this way but I don't see how. How could you expect any coach to know what his guys are doing? It doesn't make sense. If your kids don't want you to know somthing it isn't that hard for them to keep it from you.

Why would Russ Smith ever go up and be like "hey coach I was underage drinking, paying for *ahem* special privileges and just all around making decisions you wouldn't approve of". He wouldn't and most people wouldn't.

Because it is your job to know. And to keep things on the level. It is literally your job.

If, as a parent, your children were engaging in illegal behavior in your house under your nose, can you get away from judgment by saying "I had no idea they were throwing wild parties when I was gone!"

NBA coaches are responsible for wins. NCAA coaches are responsible for their entire program.

luburch
02-05-2016, 02:49 PM

1. It's not as if Pitino is managing a company with 40,000 people. He has 14 players on his team, he also has assistants.

2. All, I suppose I should say most, college players drink and party, etc., that's not he issue at hand. It's not like the players were going to a strip club on their own. An assistant, that Pitino is in charge of, was hiring strippers/prostitutes to come to a dorm for recruiting visits. I find it hard to believe he had no idea that was happening.

Tripping William
02-05-2016, 02:57 PM
And, naturally, Commissioner Swofford (http://www.theacc.com/news/comment-from-acc-commissioner-john-swofford-2-05-2016) "fully supports" Louisville's decision as both "proactive" and "significant." :rolleyes:

andyw715
02-05-2016, 03:00 PM
We are scheduled to play Louisville twice in the next 15 days. It will be very interesting to see if the team rallies around a difficult/unfair situation for them to play extra hard in their last games of the season or if they suffer a major letdown.

Winning/losing those two games will make an enormous difference in Duke's ultimate seed in the NCAA and ACC tournaments. I've generally been concerned about us going 0-2 vs. Louisville with Amile likely to miss the home game and it being tough to get a road win in the Yum center even with a great team. This could turn that equation on its head.

Well their 2 grad-student transfers (Lee and Lewis) must feel totally bamboozled.

It's been 4 months since story broke. Compare that with the Cuse timeline (2010 self-report, 2015 self ban after it was clear the hammer was to be dropped).
NCAA must have some big news to drop soon; for L'ville to accelerate the timeline as they did.

dukelifer
02-05-2016, 03:38 PM
1. It's not as if Pitino is managing a company with 40,000 people. He has 14 players on his team, he also has assistants.

2. All, I suppose I should say most, college players drink and party, etc., that's not he issue at hand. It's not like the players were going to a strip club on their own. An assistant, that Pitino is in charge of, was hiring strippers/prostitutes to come to a dorm for recruiting visits. I find it hard to believe he had no idea that was happening.

The poor guy only makes 4MM - he may being taking on an odd job or two and that may be making it difficult to keep track of everything.

PackMan97
02-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Fascinating.

U of L has more integrity than Carolina..

SCMatt33
02-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Fascinating.

U of L has more integrity than Carolina..

I guess in relative terms but that's like saying Ted Valentine is a better ref than Karl Hess. I mean, we're still talking about a program that recruited two guys to be there for one year, presumably with the promise of a shot at the postseason, sent them to media days without the coach to get bombarded with scandal questions, and then pull the rug out from under their postseason dreams when they had the team in clear position to make a decent run. They most likely did this in an attempt to protect the legacy of those players who were recruited under those nepharious circumstances in the first place. If that's what qualifies as integrity nowadays, the world has gone mad!

Owen Meany
02-05-2016, 04:29 PM

negatives - Louisville will likely play with a chip on its shoulder. Duke games will be the team's best chance to "make a statement" - particularly the game at the YUM Center, which also happens to be their last home game of the year. I expect this to be their ACC/NCAA Tournament.

This significantly increases UNC's odds of winning the ACC, getting the #1 seed in the tournament.

positives - Duke moves up 1 seed in the ACC Tournament, which increases the chances of a bye.

Olympic Fan
02-05-2016, 04:41 PM
I think the comparison of the situations at Louisville, Syracuse and UNC Cheat is fascinating.

-- Syracuse stalls and stalls until deep into a season where it is likely they don't make the tournament, then they self-impose an immediate one-year ban. If they had not self-imposed, they would have been nailed anyway, but the ban most likely would have been for 2015-16 -- when they expected to be better (and they are).

-- Louisville could have stalled this out until after this season, but they also would have most likely been nailed and have lost the 2016-17 postseason. Yes, they would have been in the tourney this year if they stalled, but it would have hurt the program for several years to have missed NEXT year, when Louisville expects to be good again. They can put the issue behind them and move forward.

-- UNC has stalled, stalled, stalled to make sure they get to see how this year's UNC team can do. They could have self-penalized last summer when they got the NOA and put the issue behind them going forward -- at the cost of penalizing a potential Final Four team (and a football team that played for the ACC championship). Instead, they elected to wait get hammered going forward. Either they honestly believe they will not get punished for 5 level one LOIC violations or they understand that they face a difficult immediate future and want to get this season in under the wire.

I should point out that they made the same choice in their last mixup with the NCAA, back in 2011. Facing several lessor charges (Failure to Monitor is much less lethal than Lack of Institutional Control), UNC self-imposed some minor penalties, but refused to self-impose a postseason ban. UNC officials were positive that they would escape a postseason ban.

So in 2011, their 7-5 football team got to make a trip to the Independence Bowl, where they were clobbered by Missouri.

That piece of postseason heaven cost them a far better postseason experience in 2012. The NCAA -- contrary to UNC's statements and beliefs -- DID impose a one-year postseason ban, but since UNC ducked the penalty in 2011, it applied to their much better (8-4) 2012 team. UNC's misjudgment cost that team a Coastal Division title (it would have been their first ACC title of any kind in 30 years), a spot in the ACC title game and a decent bowl trip (certainly better than a trip to Shereveport).

We'll see how the delay game works for UNC this time.

PS Louisville's decision does have one potential benefit for Duke. It takes a team out of the mix from the ACC's top four -- the teams that get a bye into the ACC Tournament semifinals. Now, instead of finishing in the top four, Duke only needs to be in the top 5 (assuming Louisville -- currently 7-2 in the ACC -- finishes ahead of us). As of this moment, we're one game in the loss column out of a tie for third. Frankly, I think UNC, Virginia and Louisville are uncatchable, but I think Duke can potentially catch Clemson, Pitt and Miami (plus Notre Dame, which is tied with us at four losses). Not saying it will be easy (we lose head-to-head tiebreakers with Miami, Clemson and Notre Dame), but taking Louisville out of the picture changes the equation from nearly impossible to a fighting chance.

Indoor66
02-05-2016, 05:17 PM
There was a terrific post over at PackPride. I don't want to steal the thunder from over there, so here is a link:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&up=The%20Phantom

it was posted at 5:08 P.M., Friday, Feb 5. When you click the link it is the top post (as of this posting).

I got a laugh on both Louisville and unCheat.

grad_devil
02-05-2016, 05:36 PM
There was a terrific post over at PackPride. I don't want to steal the thunder from over there, so here is a link:

it was posted at 5:08 P.M., Friday, Feb 5. When you click the link it is the top post (as of this posting).

Maybe check the link? It just tries to take me to the profile page for "The Phantom".

DukieInKansas
02-05-2016, 05:39 PM

FYI - it appears to be on their premium site - the link takes you to a log in screen.

Dukehky
02-05-2016, 05:41 PM
John Skipper Alert

On PTI, Tony made a funny joke about a post season ban Final Four with Louisville-Pitino, Syracuse- Boeheim, SMU- Larry Brown; and instead of saying the most obvious answer, Carolina and Roy Williams, he went with a UK jab at Calipari who will probably get people in trouble.

I like the Cal jab, but Carolina deserved a shot there.

wsb3
02-05-2016, 06:05 PM
John Skipper Alert

On PTI, Tony made a funny joke about a post season ban Final Four with Louisville-Pitino, Syracuse- Boeheim, SMU- Larry Brown; and instead of saying the most obvious answer, Carolina and Roy Williams, he went with a UK jab at Calipari who will probably get people in trouble.

I like the Cal jab, but Carolina deserved a shot there.

Yes, I heard & held my breath waiting for them to say something about the Cheats. :rolleyes:

Jeffrey
02-05-2016, 06:20 PM

Absolutely! Highly paid CEO's should be held accountable and responsible for what occurs under their watch (or, lack thereof)!

But, trust me, it's not just coaches who pull this B.S. My former main competitor, a former President/CEO of a former financial institution lived large with 3 corporate jets, high dollar boxes at two NBA and two NFL stadiums, etc., etc. When the walls came crumbling down, he was asked under oath various questions about his understanding of finance. He emphatically denied being an expert (which, now, seems totally accurate) but went on to say, he knew very little and understood very little. He was in the meetings, saw all the documents, was aware of criminal activity, etc., so, now his defense is he was too stupid to understand anything he was told or saw. And, trust me, he will get away with it!

JNort
02-05-2016, 06:24 PM
Because it is your job to know. And to keep things on the level. It is literally your job.

If, as a parent, your children were engaging in illegal behavior in your house under your nose, can you get away from judgment by saying "I had no idea they were throwing wild parties when I was gone!"

NBA coaches are responsible for wins. NCAA coaches are responsible for their entire program.

Couldn't disagree more. You're child gets caught doing drugs you pay no penalty other than being upset at their actions. You also could not stop them even if you knew they were doing it.

I also don't think it's a coaches job to babysit these kids. I expect a coach to do just that, coach and give advice if a kid needs it. I haven't seen evidence yet that Pitino did anything different than every other coach. He probably gives the same messages as K and tries to make sure the guys behave but when it comes down to it it's up to the players themselves.

Atlanta Duke
02-05-2016, 06:27 PM
Well their 2 grad-student transfers (Lee and Lewis) must feel totally bamboozled.

True that

"It was certainly in the best interest of our university and program," Ramsey added and, in fairness, he's absolutely right about that, if only because the earlier a punishment starts, the earlier a punishment ends, and that's clearly better for the university and program in the sense that it should help alleviate some possible hurdles with future recruiting.

But it stinks for Trey Lewis.

And it stinks for Damion Lee.

Those two fifth-year players graduated last Spring, from Cleveland State and Drexel, and had lots of great opportunities presented to them. Lewis could've gone to Xavier or Ohio State while Lee could've gone to Maryland, Gonzaga or Arizona, just to name a few. Instead, they both picked Louisville

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25474650/louisville-selfishly-punishes-seniors-with-late-postseason-ban

But tough luck - Maybe Pitino should have told Lewis & Lee what Otter told Flounder in Animal House - "You f***ed up - you trusted us"

Indoor66
02-05-2016, 06:33 PM
Maybe check the link? It just tries to take me to the profile page for "The Phantom".

And a click on the post I described above said to click on the post listed there on 2/5. Anyway, at the risk of being sanction for posting a full post from another board (the post has 4 lines), here it is:

The Phantom (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&up=The%20Phantom)
http://media.scout.com/media/forums/scout2/subscriberbadge.gif
6th Man
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
3987 posts this site
Ignore this Member (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=14505939&p=1&iu=The%20Phantom&stm=180565046&sto=MS_180565046)
Send Private Message (http://mbd.scout.com/themes/scout2/pm.aspx?s=178&to=The%20Phantom)

http://media.scout.com/media/avatars/3/6/The%20Phantom.jpg

Nominate (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=14505939&p=1&jmid=180565046&jmv=6&stm=180565046&sto=MS_180565046) | Report (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=14505939&p=1&jmid=180565046&jmv=0&stm=180565046&sto=MS_180565046) Posted: Today 5:08 PM
Re: UNCheat Scandal-Fake LD Diagnoses & Drugs vs. Fake Class http://media.scout.com/media/forums/scout2/star_45.gif (10 votes)UNC and Louisville kids both got impermissable benefits. .

Carolina athletes got Double A's

Louisville athletes got Double D's

Both were fake.

Jeffrey
02-05-2016, 06:53 PM
I also don't think it's a coaches job to babysit these kids. I expect a coach to do just that, coach and give advice if a kid needs it. I haven't seen evidence yet that Pitino did anything different than every other coach. He probably gives the same messages as K and tries to make sure the guys behave but when it comes down to it it's up to the players themselves.

Yes, there's trust involved, however, there must also be verification. Open and honest channels of communication supply valuable information. Strong and equitable discipline minimize recurrence.

gumbomoop
02-05-2016, 08:19 PM
PS Louisville's decision does have one potential benefit for Duke. It takes a team out of the mix from the ACC's top four -- the teams that get a bye into the ACC Tournament semifinals.

Friendly amendment -- quarterfinals. Top 4 get double-bye. Next 6 (this year) get first-day bye.

Atlanta Duke
02-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Roy no doubt heartily endorses the second paragraph of this proposal from Seth Davis in response to Louisville falling on its sword this afternoon

To be sure, when a program breaks rules, it should face serious outcomes. It’s likely that Louisville will face other penalties as this case is brought to a resolution, from a potential suspension for head coach Rick Pitino to limiting recruiting travel to reducing the number of scholarships. Yet, nothing has the sting of postseason bans. They are an effective weapon, and they aren’t going anywhere.

The next step, then, is to establish a matrix for timing. Anytime a school or the Committee on Infractions imposes a postseason ban, it should not go into effect until the players who are in the program have had a chance to complete their current seasons. It’s not that complicated.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/02/05/louisville-cardinals-postseason-ban-rick-pitino-escort-allegations

arnie
02-05-2016, 09:47 PM
And, naturally, Commissioner Swofford (http://www.theacc.com/news/comment-from-acc-commissioner-john-swofford-2-05-2016) "fully supports" Louisville's decision as both "proactive" and "significant." :rolleyes:

Rest assured Swofford will not be uttering similar words about UNC. Heels don't think they've done anything wrong and the commish right with em.

weezie
02-05-2016, 09:53 PM
And a click on the post I described above said to click on the post listed there on 2/5. Anyway, at the risk of being sanction for posting a full post from another board (the post has 4 lines), here it is:

The Phantom (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&up=The%20Phantom)
http://media.scout.com/media/forums/scout2/subscriberbadge.gif
6th Man
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
3987 posts this site
Ignore this Member (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=14505939&p=1&iu=The%20Phantom&stm=180565046&sto=MS_180565046)
Send Private Message (http://mbd.scout.com/themes/scout2/pm.aspx?s=178&to=The%20Phantom)

http://media.scout.com/media/avatars/3/6/The%20Phantom.jpg

Nominate (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=14505939&p=1&jmid=180565046&jmv=6&stm=180565046&sto=MS_180565046) | Report (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=14505939&p=1&jmid=180565046&jmv=0&stm=180565046&sto=MS_180565046) Posted: Today 5:08 PM
Re: UNCheat Scandal-Fake LD Diagnoses & Drugs vs. Fake Class http://media.scout.com/media/forums/scout2/star_45.gif (10 votes)UNC and Louisville kids both got impermissable benefits. .

Carolina athletes got Double A's

Louisville athletes got Double D's

Both were fake.

Absolutely perfect. Cymbal crash. But I do, too, feel sorry for the duped players.

DukieInKansas
02-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Couldn't disagree more. You're child gets caught doing drugs you pay no penalty other than being upset at their actions. You also could not stop them even if you knew they were doing it.

But weren't the kids involved on a recruiting trip to Louisville? I think that he is responsible for watching over high school kids that are on a recruiting trip to his program.

SoCalDukeFan
02-06-2016, 11:31 AM

The analogy to a child on drugs is bad.

The escorts were hired by an assistant coach who worked for Pitano. The players were on recruiting trips. Pitano was recruiting the players. The team has 14 players and only a few recruits sign each year.

These are recruits not players. I will grant you that the head coach can not control every minute of every players life. But these were recruiting trips, much different situation.

SoCal

hudlow
02-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Absolutely perfect. Cymbal crash. But I do, too, feel sorry for the duped players.

I'm still trying to decide which is the worst way to be duped...

wsb3
02-06-2016, 04:32 PM
I heard Dickie V say during the game that Rick took a lie detector & it showed he knew nothing about what transpired? Thoughts?

uh_no
02-06-2016, 04:35 PM
I heard Dickie V say during the game that Rick took a lie detector & it showed he knew nothing about what transpired? Thoughts?

at what point did we start listening to what dicky v says?

and even if it did happen... so what? it's still a violation.... unless you're can Newton of course...

Bob Green
02-06-2016, 04:45 PM

Vitale is an embarrassment to college basketball. I just wish ESPN's sponsors knew how many fans hit the mute button as soon as they see Vitale. Yep, I'm not hearing that advertisement you are paying good money for because I muted my TV as soon as Vitale's face showed up.

53n206
02-06-2016, 04:46 PM
I guess that one would expect a head coach to tell his assistants: number 1: Do not tell me anything that would relate to improper recruiting. If so I will report you immediately and you will be fired. Number 2: Make sure you get as many really great recruits as possible, otherwise you will be fired

wsb3
02-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Okay...To be clear I am not fan of Vitale, or Rick Pittino, nor do I think this makes L'Ville less guilty of anything. Rick should have known & we all know Dickie V is going to take up for about every coach who ever lived.

I just thought the comment that he stated as fact & I can't recall if he mentioned former FBI but he even said who administered the lie detector was interesting.

I remember the day the news came out & Rick P held the press conference & I remember thinking this man is a great liar or he is telling the truth. I still don't know.

Indoor66
02-06-2016, 05:56 PM
Lie detector evidence is not admissible in court for a very good reason: it is not reliable. Enough said.

MarkD83
02-06-2016, 06:06 PM
Leadership is taking responsibility for the actions of those who you lead even if you are unaware of all of their actions.

Kudos to the L'ville president for taking responsibility. The ban hurts everyone at L'ville and some people are innocent bystanders.

On the other hand the void in leadership at UNC is now approaching a quarter of a century.

brevity
02-06-2016, 06:31 PM

Lie detector evidence is not admissible in court for a very good reason: it is not reliable. Enough said.

Yes, but the Federal Rules of Evidence allow for an excited utterance exception to hearsay. So everything Dick Vitale says is admissible in court.

Indoor66
02-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Yes, but the Federal Rules of Evidence allow for an excited utterance exception to hearsay. So everything Dick Vitale says is admissible in court.

One could get a sanity charge to the jury to be conidered when weighing the probity of his utterances.:mad:

Dukehky
02-06-2016, 07:53 PM

and even if it did happen... so what? it's still a violation... unless you're can Newton of course...

Dude... Don't go there. Cam is the greatest athlete on the planet, Cecil is a saint (ha), and Auburn didn't pay him a dime. Cam didn't cheat. UNC did. Simple as that.

Saratoga2
02-06-2016, 07:59 PM
Okay...To be clear I am not fan of Vitale, or Rick Pittino, nor do I think this makes L'Ville less guilty of anything. Rick should have known & we all know Dickie V is going to take up for about every coach who ever lived.

I just thought the comment that he stated as fact & I can't recall if he mentioned former FBI but he even said who administered the lie detector was interesting.

I remember the day the news came out & Rick P held the press conference & I remember thinking this man is a great liar or he is telling the truth. I still don't know.

The president of their college did the correct thing by pulling them out of tournaments. Clearly the recruiting incidents occurred on Pitino's watch and if he didn't know he should have known. Tough on the current players but it was tough on Penn St. players as well. There has to be penalties associated with such egregious acts or else the whole concept of college sports wouldn't be viable. As for Vitale, my view is that he is a big mouth and I mute him more often than not.

hudlow
02-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Two losses in a row...is it time for the cheats to self impose...? :)

Indoor66
02-07-2016, 08:20 AM
Two losses in a row...is it time for the cheats to self impose...? :)

By losing two in a row they probably think that they have already paid a sufficient penalty and it should all be over. So Sad.... :confused:

camion
02-07-2016, 08:37 AM
Louisville has self-banned for the post season.

What of the regular season championship?

Is it mythical or real? Is it self-banned or not?

devildeac
02-07-2016, 08:38 AM
Louisville has self-banned for the post season.

What of the regular season championship?

Is it mythical or real? Is it self-banned or not?

If they win the regular season, Pitino might buy them rings...

Indoor66
02-07-2016, 08:59 AM
If they win the regular season, Pitino might buy them rings...

If he won't, unCheat will!:mad::cool:

MarkD83
02-07-2016, 09:54 AM
If he won't, unCheat will!:mad::cool:
The real question is if L'ville finishes first in the regular season and UNC second, will Roy have his team cut down the nets when they clinch "2nd place"?

arnie
02-07-2016, 11:11 AM
The real question is if L'ville finishes first in the regular season and UNC second, will Roy have his team cut down the nets when they clinch "2nd place"?

Since I'm sure they hung a 2015 Coastal Division tourney championship banner (ND not in a football division), would think the ACC regular season banner is already ordered.

53n206
02-07-2016, 11:38 AM
This thread has had several comments about Dick Vitale and muting him. It would be a great idea to start a new thread taking a poll asking how many people mute Dick Vitale. He such an icon that I don't believe results of a poll like this would affect his employability. I like him, but he talks too much, and he doesn't talk enough about the game in progress.

Tom B.
02-07-2016, 02:51 PM
This thread has had several comments about Dick Vitale and muting him. It would be a great idea to start a new thread taking a poll asking how many people mute Dick Vitale. He such an icon that I don't believe results of a poll like this would affect his employability. I like him, but he talks too much, and he doesn't talk enough about the game in progress.

I almost threw a shoe through my TV yesterday when Vitale started ranting about Louisville and blathering on about how the university "sold those kids out" by self-imposing a postseason ban this year in the hopes of getting a lighter penalty from the NCAA going forward. So he basically endorsed the Carolina approach -- delay and drag your feet so the scandal doesn't screw up this year's postseason.

I also liked how, in literally the same sentence, Vitale managed to say that coaches are responsible for knowing what goes on in their programs, then exonerate Pitino because...he didn't know what was going on in his program. Dick must have some kind of super power, because that's the only way I think any human could keep that volume of cognitive dissonance from making his own head explode.

aimo
02-07-2016, 02:55 PM
I almost threw a shoe through my TV yesterday when Vitale started ranting about Louisville and blathering on about how the university "sold those kids out" by self-imposing a postseason ban this year in the hopes of getting a lighter penalty from the NCAA going forward. So he basically endorsed the Carolina approach -- delay and drag your feet so the scandal doesn't screw up this year's postseason.

I also liked how, in literally the same sentence, Vitale managed to say that coaches are responsible for knowing what goes on in their programs, then exonerate Pitino because...he didn't know what was going on in program. Dick must have some kind of super power, because that's the only way I think any human could keep that volume of cognitive dissonance from making his own head explode.

Ditto. I was also a muter yesterday. Because of his rants about L'ville and football, I preferred silent watching.

Indoor66
02-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Ditto. I was also a muter yesterday. Because of his rants about L'ville and football, I preferred silent watching.

I've muted Dickie for years. Now I also tend to mute Bilas. He has also become insufferable.

Furniture
02-07-2016, 04:26 PM

I have no issue with him.

Rudy
02-07-2016, 10:25 PM

FTW!

westwall
02-09-2016, 09:59 PM
Check out this week's AP and Coaches' polls. AP has Louisville at number 13 (before Monday night's game, of course), but the Coaches Poll has Louisville entirely out of the top 25, and apparently no higher than 33rd.

Does this represent some form of "Coaches sanction"??

(in previous weeks, the Coaches had L'ville ranked higher than the AP)

tbyers11
02-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Check out this week's AP and Coaches' polls. AP has Louisville at number 13 (before Monday night's game, of course), but the Coaches Poll has Louisville entirely out of the top 25, and apparently no higher than 33rd.

Does this represent some form of "Coaches sanction"??

(in previous weeks, the Coaches had L'ville ranked higher than the AP)

Yes, teams that are not eligible for the NCAA tournament are not ranked in the coaches poll

throatybeard
02-09-2016, 10:15 PM
I'm banning myself from dating Kaley Cuoco, at least this season. A hard decision, but the right one.

BD80
02-10-2016, 08:27 AM
I'm banning myself from dating Kaley Cuoco, at least this season. A hard decision, but the right one.

Wow! That increases my chances! Thanks!