PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. NC State (Sat, Feb 6, 2 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
02-05-2016, 07:53 AM
Duke hosts NC State this Saturday afternoon in Cameron. More to come...

moonpie23
02-05-2016, 08:02 AM
they are gonna want some pay-back......team needs to be focused......

would love to see a balanced effort win...

go duke!

Troublemaker
02-05-2016, 08:26 AM
Obviously a must-win game for Duke. NCSU has some talent, but they are a bottom-5 (or third division) ACC team that Duke has already dispatched on the road. At home, we need to get the W to generate some momentum (2 wins in a row!) and confidence heading into the tough part of the schedule.

I would think Duke will test the waters some with m2m defense in this game. We probably will also play some 2-3 zone, but NCSU is going to be better prepared for it the second time around, and even towards the end of the previous game against them, NCSU was figuring it out a bit. Zone at certain points to rest and avoid fouls, and M2M to win. Derryck vs Cat will be fun to watch.

devildeac
02-05-2016, 08:37 AM
It'll be interesting to watch the reffing in this game considering Gottfried's recent comments to the media and his invitation to the head of NCAA officials to watch some early season games with him along with some recent ones. I'm fine if Cat goes to the FT line 10-12 times but I want the same damn calls when Brandon, Grayson, Luke and Derryck drive the lane and get pushed/shoved/grabbed and hammered.

CDu
02-05-2016, 09:52 AM
Same as the last time we played them. State can't shoot, but has lots of size and some quality inside. If we can limit Cat Barber, we stand a good chance of winning. State is a very "zoneable" team. We'll probably see a fair amount of the zone in this one with an emphasis on limiting Barber's easy driving opportunities. I'm willing to let State try to beat us with Rowan and Martin jacking up 3s.

We'll need to keep Abu from getting easy alleyoop chances and we'll need to limit State on the glass. If we can reasonably contain Barber and if we can keep State from dominating the glass, we should win. That's not easy, but that's the gameplan.

Rich
02-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Same as the last time we played them. State can't shoot, but has lots of size and some quality inside. If we can limit Cat Barber, we stand a good chance of winning. State is a very "zoneable" team. We'll probably see a fair amount of the zone in this one with an emphasis on limiting Barber's easy driving opportunities. I'm willing to let State try to beat us with Rowan and Martin jacking up 3s.

We'll need to keep Abu from getting easy alleyoop chances and we'll need to limit State on the glass. If we can reasonably contain Barber and if we can keep State from dominating the glass, we should win. That's not easy, but that's the gameplan.

Where's the guarantee?

CDu
02-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Where's the guarantee?

That's uh_oh's realm. I live in a world of uncertainty.

Saratoga2
02-05-2016, 04:53 PM
Clearly Brandon, Grayson and Marshall will start and play big minutes. I expect Matt and Derryck to start as well with Luke coming off the bench. If will be interesting to see how PT is apportioned among those three. Also, Chase looked a little better at GT. Hope he can build on that game as it would help Marshall. Maybe even Vrank will also get a few minutes with NC State bigs being one of their strengths.

uh_no
02-05-2016, 04:58 PM
That's uh_oh's realm. I live in a world of uncertainty.

I do not guarantee a win in this game. I am only very confident that we will win.

Will not bet the retirement, only the house.

Olympic Fan
02-05-2016, 07:38 PM
Scary game ... NC State has played well on the road. They routed Pitt at Pitt (won by 17 and led by double digits almost the whole game) and they played well in their most recent road trip -- a close loss at FSU. They hung close to UNC for a long time in Chapel Hill (tied at the half).

We did a good job against their big men in Raleigh, plus Mav Rowan, a notoriously streaky 3-point shooter, hot a couple of 3s in the first half, then went ice cold in the second. Finally, there was Cat Barber, who had 19 points with 11 minutes to play, then bumped knees with a Duke player and didn't score at all down the stretch.

Not saying Duke won't win -- if we play well, we should. Just saying, don't dismiss the Pack because we beat them in Raleigh. They haven't won in Durham since 1995 ... they haven't beaten Coach K in Durham since 1988. But there have been some close calls during that span.

And Duke has lost two in a row at home -- that hasn't happened since 2007. Duke last lost three straight home games since 1995 (when Duke lost four straight at home). Coach K hasn't been on the bench for three straight home losses since 1984.

I don't want to see that happen Saturday.

weezie
02-05-2016, 10:33 PM
It'll be interesting to watch the reffing in this game...

That's a nice way of putting it.

I'm a mysterious soothsaying witch and I say to you that the reffing will be maddeningly inconsistent yet irrefutable.
In my next life I will be born a ref and my whole family will bow down before my absolute correctness.

jipops
02-05-2016, 11:31 PM
Agree that this is another must-win. The 4 game stretch after tomorrow is pretty brutal. It would be wonderful if we could take 2 of the next 3 (State, UL, UVA). That would put is in pretty good position heading in to the final stretch of the season.

Neals384
02-06-2016, 04:31 AM
Will Coach K be back in the saddle?

Channing
02-06-2016, 06:05 AM
My TV guide in Atlanta is telling me that college game day is on ESPN at 6 and I don't see the game listed on any ancillary ESPN channels. Anyone have an idea? Is it on espn3?

Bob Green
02-06-2016, 06:07 AM
My TV guide in Atlanta is telling me that college game day is on ESPN at 6 and I don't see the game listed on any ancillary ESPN channels. Anyone have an idea? Is it on espn3?

The game is on ESPN at 2 pm.

superdave
02-06-2016, 08:41 AM
So we play State twice before playing Carolina the first time. That is some real fancy scheduling, Swofford. I dont like this. We should be playing the teams in order, and not trying to shoehorn into Espn's favored tv schedule. (at least I assume the schedule is made for tv at their request)

I also dont like the turnaround to a quick Monday follow-up game. Saturday-Wednesday works much better.

Humbug!!!!

State's win over Miami shows you what they are capable of. But I dont think this team has the consistency to do that more than once in a row.

arnie
02-06-2016, 08:50 AM
So we play State twice before playing Carolina the first time. That is some real fancy scheduling, Swofford. I dont like this. We should be playing the teams in order, and not trying to shoehorn into Espn's favored tv schedule. (at least I assume the schedule is made for tv at their request)

I also dont like the turnaround to a quick Monday follow-up game. Saturday-Wednesday works much better.

Humbug!!!!

State's win over Miami shows you what they are capable of. But I dont think this team has the consistency to do that more than once in a row.

State lost to FSU after beating Miami. But I agree, doubt they can play great 2 out of 3.

Bob Green
02-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Duke is favored by 11 points in Vegas with the over/under set at 152. Duke 82, State 70.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

Furniture
02-06-2016, 11:06 AM
I have a hunch Jeter will continue his progression and he gets a few more minutes. Why not?

Bob Green
02-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Why not?

Because he only gets five fouls. Against State's big interior players, Jeter will have a hard time playing defense.

devildeac
02-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Because he only gets five fouls. Against State's big interior players, Jeter will have a hard time playing defense.

Well, five fouls should give at least 4 minutes of PT :rolleyes: .

(kidding; mostly)

-jk
02-06-2016, 01:17 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Furniture
02-06-2016, 01:27 PM

I knew I should have posted this on the optimist thread!

DU82
02-06-2016, 01:39 PM

I believe the original schedule had the game at 7pm est. That's what I had downloaded to my calendar and had to double check as well.

Troublemaker
02-06-2016, 01:41 PM
No Amile today:

Powell Latimer ‏@PowellLatimerNR (https://twitter.com/PowellLatimerNR) 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/PowellLatimerNR/status/696040193074323456)
Amile Jefferson going understated professorial with a blue cardigan, khakis and the dope brown wingtip/walking boot combo.

riverside6
02-06-2016, 01:47 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/NC State, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/nc-state-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-02062016

mapei
02-06-2016, 02:20 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

The link is taking me to the smilies page rather than to chat.

-jk
02-06-2016, 02:22 PM
It's working for lot of folks...

-jk

DavidBenAkiva
02-06-2016, 02:40 PM
I can't believe the other freshmen right now. Thornton is shutting down Barber, Kennard is hitting shots, and Jeter doesn't look completely lost.

DavidBenAkiva
02-06-2016, 02:41 PM
9 assists on 11 made field goals at the moment. I like it.

mapei
02-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Nice first half, especially from the 3-point line. We let them close the gap towards the end of the half, though . . .

gumbomoop
02-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Matt does not have PG skills. For drives with dish option, Grayson and Luke. For drives with pull-up option, Brandon and Luke.

mapei
02-06-2016, 03:10 PM
Agree re Matt. Concerned about Brandon's foul trouble.

mapei
02-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Getting nervous up 3 with under 5 to go. We can't quite put them away.

jipops
02-06-2016, 03:51 PM
What a terrible call!!! I despise this freedom of motion garbage.

gurufrisbee
02-06-2016, 03:51 PM
That's why this team isn't going to be a final four team.

Barber drives the entire court for a lay up and no one challenges him.

We respond by wildly throwing away the in bounds pass with no pressure at all on anyone.

I love so much about this team, but seeing that, oh man.

Have really loved Kennard's shooting and Thornton's defense today

gumbomoop
02-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Might have to play last 2-3 minutes with both Chase and Marshall on the floor. Neither Derryck nor Matt can handle Cat, and now each has 4 fouls. Put either Grayson or Luke on him.

Update -- yes, Grayson on him last time.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Love love the success from the line.

jipops
02-06-2016, 04:02 PM
That looked like a charge on Grayson. But we'll take it.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Ooch - hope Barber's okay. Can't not like that kid.