PDA

View Full Version : Curious for reaction from Duke fans: Michigan's Signing of the Stars

scottdude8
02-04-2016, 10:59 AM
So as I've mentioned a ton on this board, while I'm a Blue Devil to the core, I was raised a die-hard Michigan fan in the Big House and am currently back in Ann Arbor working on my PhD... I like to say the only time I'd ever root against Michigan is if they were playing Duke (and I certainly hope I never have to face that choice in football, haha).

That being said, I followed Michigan recruiting very closely given the antics of Jim Harbaugh, and I watched most of his "Signing of the Stars" event yesterday. I'm not sure how closely anyone here followed that or what people heard about it, but I'm curious as to what the reaction to it is from a non-Michigan fan base. Personally, it felt to me like the equivalent of Midnight Madness (or our Countdown to Craziness) but for incoming recruits. I also think it could catch on across the country, especially since there isn't a Midnight Madness type event for football (the Spring Game is big in some areas, but it certainly doesn't approach Midnight Madness in pageantry or importance).

I'm sure some people will bring up the drama surrounding Harbaugh's recruiting antics here, so for the record I think he definitely was wrong in the handling of a couple of cases in which scholarship offers were "unofficially withdrawn" from recruits. However, from what I've read from Michigan insiders it has gotten a bit blown out of proportion, because a lot of the late decommits were from players who had been looking at other schools for a long period, and some others were players who were told explicitly that their scholarship would be honored, but it would be very unlikely they'd ever see significant playing time without major improvement. Others, though, were definitely mishandled and I hope Harbaugh addresses that in future recruiting.

But with that disclaimer out of the way, what was the reaction from the Duke (or other non-Michiganders on this board) fanbase to the Michigan recruit-a-palooza?

Indoor66
02-04-2016, 11:01 AM
So as I've mentioned a ton on this board, while I'm a Blue Devil to the core, I was raised a die-hard Michigan fan in the Big House and am currently back in Ann Arbor working on my PhD... I like to say the only time I'd ever root against Michigan is if they were playing Duke (and I certainly hope I never have to face that choice in football, haha).

That being said, I followed Michigan recruiting very closely given the antics of Jim Harbaugh, and I watched most of his "Signing of the Stars" event yesterday. I'm not sure how closely anyone here followed that or what people heard about it, but I'm curious as to what the reaction to it is from a non-Michigan fan base. Personally, it felt to me like the equivalent of Midnight Madness (or our Countdown to Craziness) but for incoming recruits. I also think it could catch on across the country, especially since there isn't a Midnight Madness type event for football (the Spring Game is big in some areas, but it certainly doesn't approach Midnight Madness in pageantry or importance).

I'm sure some people will bring up the drama surrounding Harbaugh's recruiting antics here, so for the record I think he definitely was wrong in the handling of a couple of cases in which scholarship offers were "unofficially withdrawn" from recruits. However, from what I've read from Michigan insiders it has gotten a bit blown out of proportion, because a lot of the late decommits were from players who had been looking at other schools for a long period, and some others were players who were told explicitly that their scholarship would be honored, but it would be very unlikely they'd ever see significant playing time without major improvement. Others, though, were definitely mishandled and I hope Harbaugh addresses that in future recruiting.

But with that disclaimer out of the way, what was the reaction from the Duke (or other non-Michiganders on this board) fanbase to the Michigan recruit-a-palooza?

I guess my reaction is: so what?

WillJ
02-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Having also been brought up on Michigan football, I think it was beautiful. Very, very tacky, but beautiful.

Also, FWIW, remember some of the teeth-gnashing that arose from Cory Alexander's announcement when he said we was going to play basketball at UVa in 1991. It was over-the-top by the standards of the time, and everyone chalked it up to him being an immature kid. Well, I guess he was, and he's now grown up to be a very thoughtful commentator, IMO.

devildeac
02-04-2016, 11:29 AM
Not our rival: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

Let murland worry about it. :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
02-04-2016, 11:46 AM
I don't have a problem with a college generating enthusiasm for its teams. More power to them, beat the Twerps.

DukieInKansas
02-04-2016, 12:00 PM
I saw a bit of it on Sportscenter last night. I thought it was unique but my main takeaways were "Hmm, I didn't know Derek Jeter went to Michigan" and "Wow! Their spring game would be in Florida?".

FYI - I was raised in a household where "Ohio State" was a bad phrase.

Mike Corey
02-04-2016, 12:01 PM
I think it's a good idea executed about as well as Michigan could execute it.

But if the recruits are interested in what Ric Flair has to say, more power to Coach Harbaugh, who will win a lot of games at Michigan. The man is the best football coach in America without a championship to his name.

Full disclosure: I am an Ohio State fan and alum.

:)

chrishoke
02-04-2016, 12:18 PM
My brother coaches at Michigan State so screw him and his team!

Duke95
02-04-2016, 12:51 PM
I could not name a single person affiliated with Michigan football other than Harbaugh.

johnb
02-04-2016, 01:30 PM
I could not name a single person affiliated with Michigan football other than Harbaugh.

I could only think of Gerald Ford, which led me to review his football career. I hadn't known that his Michigan teams of 1932 and 33 were undefeated NC's, but his senior year, they won only one game. I guess that's one reason for Harbaugh to over-recruit and then ditch the bottom tier of recruits at the last minute. I hope we never get that "successful."

Mike Corey
02-04-2016, 01:40 PM

What about this famous punter?
https://media.giphy.com/media/n1U5e3npvrB4Y/giphy.gif

burnspbesq
02-04-2016, 01:54 PM
What about this famous punter?
https://media.giphy.com/media/n1U5e3npvrB4Y/giphy.gif

Didn't Mark Harmon's dad play there?

DukieInKansas
02-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Michigan QB - Elvis Grbac. He was also in the movie Air Force One. He played himself.

BD80
02-04-2016, 03:35 PM
Never been a fan of Harbaugh (either one).

Jim is an egomaniac, and is now surrounded by enablers. Kinda like throwing a fat kid into a candy store, a policeman into a doughnut shop, an Irishman into a bar, a tarheel into a rental car ...

He has made UM relevant again, and he did it quickly.

But he's a whiner and a crybaby. I'll only root for him when they play OSU - or unc.

Bob Green
02-04-2016, 03:37 PM
As long as no rules are broken, I've no issue with Coach Harbaugh and Michigan's Signing of the Stars celebration.

Devilwin
02-04-2016, 03:42 PM
Not surprised, they usually get studs there. I am more geeked up about our class at Duke, 28th in the nation, fourth in the ACC!:cool:

Ranidad
02-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Similar background, raised in midwest and am a 3rd generation Michigan alum (MBA'89), Duke '85. Figured that I had a football school and a basketball school. Then craziness while I was in Ann Arbor in 1989 with Duke going to a bowl game and Michigan winning it all on the hardwood. btw while in Minneapolis in 1992 it became apparent that head-to-head it is definitely Duke.

As for he Harbaugh show, he continues to keep Michigan in the news and I'm sure that last night will help with recruiting for next year. That said, my first comment was "OK how does he top this next year. Is this sustainable?" It clearly upsets D'Antonio so now we need to translate that into wins against Sparty on the field too.

In response to some earlier comment, yes Mark Harmon's father, Tom Harmon, played at Michigan and won the Heisman in 1940.

weezie
02-04-2016, 05:41 PM
... "Hmm, I didn't know Derek Jeter went to Michigan"...

Yeah, for about three weeks and then he realized he was going to become the Great "Jetahhh" I do think his sister went there, though.

Also a Michigeek but absolutely no emotional involvement with them wolvies. Grad-i-ated from HS and ran to the warm south. Although I do recall general tooth-gnashing amongst those families of friends who would sweat out the nd vs um games.

Selover
02-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Being from Ohio... I don't give a damn 'bout the whole state of Michigan!

scottdude8
02-04-2016, 05:58 PM
I saw a bit of it on Sportscenter last night. I thought it was unique but my main takeaways were "Hmm, I didn't know Derek Jeter went to Michigan" and "Wow! Their spring game would be in Florida?".

FYI - I was raised in a household where "Ohio State" was a bad phrase.

Jeter never played for Michigan I believe, but he was committed to the team before going pro... he's also from Kalamazoo so has always been a Michigan fan.

Sounds like the reaction here is about what I'd expect... as is some of the Harbaugh hate, haha. I will say that I can totally see how from an outsiders perspective his antics would be extremely grating. But I also think there aren't many coaches I'd take over him, baggage and all (Cutcliffe would be on that list though).

weezie
02-04-2016, 09:20 PM
...there aren't many coaches I'd take over him, baggage [KHAKIS] and all...

Get it? Khakis in the baggage? Hardy har har....