PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Classic alert

Olympic Fan
02-02-2016, 04:31 PM
Short notice, I know, but I just saw that ESPN Classic is going to re-run the 1990 Duke at Georgia Tech game at 5 p.m.

This is one of those great games that rarely gets replayed (I haven't seen it before). A 96-91 win by No. 10 Duke over No. 9 Georgia Tech -- two teams that would both reach the Final Four that season. Bobby Hurley and Christian Laettner for Duke ... Kenny Anderson and Lethel Weapon Three for Tech.

GREAT game ...

DukieInKansas
02-02-2016, 05:40 PM
I wish ESPN Classic was available online. However, checking on that made me realize I could watch something that I haven't seen in a long time so I'm tuning in to watch it. I probably should record it so I could watch a relative more often.

Tom B.
02-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Short notice, I know, but I just saw that ESPN Classic is going to re-run the 1990 Duke at Georgia Tech game at 5 p.m.

This is one of those great games that rarely gets replayed (I haven't seen it before). A 96-91 win by No. 10 Duke over No. 9 Georgia Tech -- two teams that would both reach the Final Four that season. Bobby Hurley and Christian Laettner for Duke ... Kenny Anderson and Lethel Weapon Three for Tech.

GREAT game ...

Plenty of offensive firepower on display in that game. That was the season that Dennis Scott set the ACC single-season scoring record of 970 points, which may never be broken (J.J. Redick came oh-so-close in his senior year, with 964 points). Scott poured in 30 in that 1990 game against Duke, while Duke put all five starters in double figures.

Duke and Georgia Tech had a great series that year. Later in the season, Duke squeaked by Georgia Tech in Cameron, 88-86. Then the teams met for a third time in the ACC Tournament semifinals, and Georgia Tech finally beat Duke (83-72) en route to the ACC championship.

Stray Gator
02-02-2016, 07:20 PM
As indicated by the number of points scored, this game could have been played with a 15-second shot clock there probably wouldn't have been any shot clock violations, at least until Duke started slowing it down to protect the slim lead in the last couple of possessions. When Hurley and Kenny Anderson were running the point, neither team required more than one or two passes to set up a good shot.

Olympic Fan
02-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Plenty of offensive firepower on display in that game. That was the season that Dennis Scott set the ACC single-season scoring record of 970 points, which may never be broken (J.J. Redick came oh-so-close in his senior year, with 964 points). Scott poured in 30 in that 1990 game against Duke, while Duke put all five starters in double figures.

Duke and Georgia Tech had a great series that year. Later in the season, Duke squeaked by Georgia Tech in Cameron, 88-86. Then the teams met for a third time in the ACC Tournament semifinals, and Georgia Tech finally beat Duke (83-72) en route to the ACC championship.

That Georgia Tech win in Charlotte led to one of the great blowups in ACC history -- Phil Henderson's tirade in which he called his teammates "a bunch of babies" ... and sparked Duke all the way to the Final Four (after Laettner's first NCAA miracle shot to beat UConn in the East championship game.

By the way, watching the replay of the 1990 game, I was impressed by he toughness Duke showed - both on the boards and going for loose balls. It also reminded me of what a great defensive player Hurley was -- even as a freshman. Anderson sometimes went over him on the jump shot, but rarely got past him on the drive.

I think it's interesting that Duke and Georgia Tech have twice made the Final Four in the same year. Both times they lost to the same school. In 1990, Georgia Tech lost to UNLV in the semis then UNLV killed Duke in the finals; in 2004 Duke lost to UConn in the semi, then the Huskies beat the Jackets in the finals.

I think in both cases, the team that lost first actually came closer to the title -- Georgia Tech lost by nine to UNLV (and were in control until Kenny Anderson picked up a bogus fourth foul early in the second half), while Vegas routed Duke by 30. In 2004, Duke lost to UConn by one (after series of very strange officiating calls) ... then UConn was in control all the way in a nine-point final against GT.