PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Streelman on the 2016 PGA Tour

sagegrouse
01-30-2016, 02:03 PM
Just checked in to the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines in San Diego. Discovered that Streels was tied for the lead with K.J. Choi after four holes on in the third round.

Go Kevin! Go Duke!

arnie
01-30-2016, 02:09 PM
Just checked in to the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines in San Diego. Discovered that Streels was tied for the lead with K.J. Choi after four holes on in the third round.

Go Kevin! Go Duke!

Thanks for update, he was 3 back at start. Wes Roach is our other exempt player (missed cut this week) since Ogilvie retired last year.

mkirsh
01-30-2016, 08:10 PM
He was also wearing a Duke shirt as they had a "collegiate day" on Tour today, although it was overshadowed by Jonas Blixt's red and gold Seminole shoes

arnie
01-31-2016, 04:45 PM
2 back and 4th place with lot of golf left. Somebody needs to introduce him to CBS coverage - don't think they know he's playing.

ricks68
01-31-2016, 10:35 PM
2 back and 4th place with lot of golf left. Somebody needs to introduce him to CBS coverage - don't think they know he's playing.
I have been p'od about that also. Only one of the players in the mix that they have been almost totally ignoring.
ricks

sagegrouse
02-01-2016, 09:08 AM
I have been p'od about that also. Only one of the players in the mix that they have been almost totally ignoring.
ricks

Kevin is having a good tournament.

He is tied for fourth at -5 in the final round at Torrey Pines with a birdie putt on 14 staring him in the face. Jimmy Walker is at -7 through 10, leading KJ Choi who is in his threesome at -6. Brant Snedeker is sitting in the clubhouse at -6 after a miracle round in the bad weather.

Today, play resumes at 8AM PST. Lots of sun but lots of wind, which will be out of the northwest at 25-35 MPH (gusts higher). None of the closing holes are downwind.

He got a several-minute interview in the clubhouse with Dottie Peppers during the weather delay. Streels comes across as the nicest guy on the face of the earth. Full logos were flying (Wilson Staff), which is important because players earn money from sponsors when sponsors logos are showing.

Kindly,
Sage
'My dream job is to pore over TV footage of golf tournaments and score which players and logos are on TV for how many seconds and minutes'

sagegrouse
02-02-2016, 12:41 PM
Kevin resumed play yesterday and birdied the last hole to end up alone in third, two shots behind Brandt Snedeker and one shot behind K.J. Choi. Snedeker finished his round on Sunday but never had to leave the practice tee during the Monday completion. Conditions were ugly again on Monday with high winds causing all sorts of problems. For example, Jimmy Walker led the field at the beginning of play yesterday but lost four shots to par over the last eight holes to finish tied for fourth.

Streels in now #19 in the FedEx Cup standings, moving up 31 places with his high finish. Placing third, he more than doubled his season earnings to $713 thousand.

DukieInKansas
02-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Kevin resumed play yesterday and birdied the last hole to end up alone in third, two shots behind Brandt Snedeker and one shot behind K.J. Choi. Snedeker finished his round on Sunday but never had to leave the practice tee during the Monday completion. Conditions were ugly again on Monday with high winds causing all sorts of problems. For example, Jimmy Walker led the field at the beginning of play yesterday but lost four shots to par over the last eight holes to finish tied for fourth.

Streels in now #19 in the FedEx Cup standings, moving up 31 places with his high finish. Placing third, he more than doubled his season earnings to $713 thousand.

Terrific news! Congratulations, Kevin Streelman!

sagegrouse
06-03-2016, 07:19 PM
This is Jack Nicklaus's invitational at Muirfield Village GC in Dublin, Ohio.

Matt Kuchar and Brendan Steele are tied for the lead at -12. Streels is at -9, tied for fifth with three others, including Dustin Johnson.

Go Duke! Go Kevin!

Tripping William
06-03-2016, 08:50 PM
This is Jack Nicklaus's invitational at Muirfield Village GC in Dublin, Ohio.

Matt Kuchar and Brendan Steele are tied for the lead at -12. Streels is at -9, tied for fifth with three others, including Dustin Johnson.

Go Duke! Go Kevin!

Streels will be paired with DJ starting at 1:10 pm Eastern tomorrow. A bunch of big names are at -7. Should be a fascinating Moving Day.

sagegrouse
06-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Streels finished with a 69 today, holing a par putt on the 18th hole that was 12'4" (the internet wouldn't lie, would it?). He is in a three-way tie for 8th, but Kevin only trails the leaders (Kuchar, McGirt and Woodland) by two shots.

rsvman
06-04-2016, 10:55 PM
Excellent. Go Streelman!

Tripping William
06-05-2016, 07:28 AM
My handy-dandy PGA Tour app tells me they are probably anticipating bad weather at Muirfield again, as they are sending threesomes out on both sides this morning. Streelman is in a group with Robert Streb and Webb Simpson at 10:00 Eastern. The co-leaders tee off at 10:30. Almost anybody's tourney, at this point.

4Gen
06-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Streels birdies 1 and 3 and is now one back of Woodland in Jack's tourney

sagegrouse
06-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Streels birdies 1 and 3 and is now one back of Woodland in Jack's tourney

Not apparently gonna happen for Kevin today. He made bogeys on 8, 10, and 12 to drop back to T13.

sagegrouse
06-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Tied for eighth, three strokes off the lead. Kevin's second top-ten finish of the season. Total winnings for the season (which started last October) are around $1 million

53n206
06-06-2016, 10:51 AM
Kevin is having a really good year. Congratulations to him. Tough business.
In a player making around million dollars per year in golf I wonder what percentage of his winnings goes to expenses- travel, lodging, meals on the road, caddy fees etc. Must be pretty high..

duke79
06-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Kevin is having a really good year. Congratulations to him. Tough business.
In a player making around million dollars per year in golf I wonder what percentage of his winnings goes to expenses- travel, lodging, meals on the road, caddy fees etc. Must be pretty high..

I've seen some numbers thrown around (which I now forget) but the annual expenses of a pro golfer can be quite high. I think it partly depends if you're traveling by private jet, which many of the more successful players now do. But even if you don't, the expenses add up fast - transportation to all the tournaments, hotels, meals, misc. expenses. I believe most pro caddies get paid some sort of base salary and then usually get 10% of the player's winnings (not sure if the base salary is included in this 10%?). I don't know if most players pay for their caddie's travel and living expenses, also. I assume most of the expenses would be tax-deductible business expenses, so that helps some on an after-tax basis. But my guess is that they don't net out as much (after tax, and their tax returns must be a nightmare because they would have to file state tax returns in every state in which they competed and won money) as you might think.

sagegrouse
06-16-2016, 09:15 AM
Streels off to a good start -- -2 after six holes and tied for the lead. Oakmont is so tough that last time at the US Open Angel Cabrera won at +5, and there were only a few rounds under par.

Go Kevin! Go Duke!

sagegrouse
06-16-2016, 06:12 PM
Play for day one has ended. Three weather delays kept one-half the field from even teeing off. Our man Streels, however, is doing great. Tied for fourth at -1 after 16 holes (finishing on 8 and 9).

jimsumner
06-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Play for day one has ended. Three weather delays kept one-half the field from even teeing off. Our man Streels, however, is doing great. Tied for fourth at -1 after 16 holes (finishing on 8 and 9).

Maybe if he stays in the top five for the rest of the tournament, he can get 30 seconds on television.

grossbus
06-16-2016, 08:41 PM
They did show one birdie putt.

diablesseblu
06-16-2016, 08:55 PM
Maybe if he stays in the top five for the rest of the tournament, he can get 30 seconds on television.

My favorite re: Kevin and TV was his win at Hartford. He was just burning up the back nine on Sunday, and they were still ignoring him. Someone "in the truck" had to work double time to package highlights when it was clear he was lapping the field and might win.

sagegrouse
06-19-2016, 07:07 AM
Streelman has shot 69-74-69 for the first three rounds. He stands at +2, tied for 12th.

It will get interesting today. Ireland''s Shane Lowry leads at -5, but hasn't finished round three. Dustin Johnson is T-3 at -2.

westwall
06-19-2016, 05:43 PM
Kevin is playing solid par golf today with the exception of a bogey on the 10th. He stands at 3 over, but has several birdie opportunities (as shown by his past rounds) in the remaining holes. If he could finish at +1, he likely could finish in the top ten.

But why is he wearing that pale shade of blue??

westwall
06-19-2016, 09:17 PM
The birdies didn't come, and bogeys on 17 and 18 hurt, but Kevin nevertheless takes home 1/10th of what Dustin Johnson does.

Bob Green
06-22-2016, 04:50 PM
It is the Quicken Loans National this weekend, at Congressional CC in Bethesda, with Kevin Streelman teeing off at 1 pm on Thursday afternoon.

sagegrouse
06-26-2016, 08:42 AM
It is the Quicken Loans National this weekend, at Congressional CC in Bethesda, with Kevin Streelman teeing off at 1 pm on Thursday afternoon.

Streels is having another good tournament, tied for 13th going into Sunday's final at Bethesda. He stands at -5, trailing the leader by a bunch but can make the top-10 with a good round today. He is 56th in FedEx cup points, a qualifying position for the money-rich tournament at the end of the season. He ranks 98th in the world.*

Here are Kevin's stats (http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.27214.html)for the season. Interesting, he is 17th on the PGA Tour in greens-in-regulation (percent of holes in which the player is on the green with two putts for par). He is 140th in putting, however, although doing much better the last few weeks.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
*Somehow the world golf organization has come up with a way to rank players (http://www.owgr.com/about) across the many different tours -- Alps Tour Golf, Asian Development Tour, Asian Tour, EuroPro Tour, European Challenge Tour, Japan Golf Tour, Korean Golf Tour, MENA Golf Tour, Nordic Golf League, OneAsia, PGA European Tour, PGA Tour, PGA Tour Canada, PGA Tour China, PGA Tour Latinoamérica, PGA Tour of Australasia, ProGolf Tour, Sunshine Tour and Web.com Tour. No doubt Kedsy is offering constructive advice.

BD80
06-26-2016, 08:49 AM
... Here are Kevin's stats (http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.27214.html)for the season. Interesting, he is 14th in greens-in-regulation (percent of holes in which the player is on the green with two putts for par). He is 140th in putting, however, although doing much better the last few weeks. ...[/U]

I found a way to mess with those metrics. I throw a chip in between putts. Sometimes a sand wedge, and an occasional half wedge. Rarely more than a full wedge.

Some say I am too "aggressive" with my first putt, and my second, and third ... but "never up, never in!"

Pghdukie
06-26-2016, 10:06 AM
So you have played Oakmont !

BD80
06-26-2016, 10:43 AM
So you have played Oakmont !

I actually did play it years ago during an Open year when they were letting the rough grow to "Open" length and had the first and second cuts growing in. The greens were ungodly fast but even still had not been cut or rolled to Open condition.

Don't think I hit a drive that stayed in the fairway, but hit many into the second cut or the rough that plunged the hole into crisis management. What is tough to tell from the TV coverage is just how difficult it is to judge distance or landing spots due to the terrain. The few times I felt I had hit a good shot I would arrive at the green to find that ball had escaped the putting surface. It got to the point where I would get a feeling of dread if I hit the ball the way I wanted, expecting the worst. I remember being foolish enough to try to hit a 6 iron out of the rough.

I never expect to putt well or even score well, but that course was demoralizing. The only bright spot for me was the sand, is was tremendous and consistent. Of course I get lots and lots of practice on my sand shots - sometimes between putts.

arnie
06-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Streels is having another good tournament, tied for 13th going into Sunday's final at Bethesda. He stands at -5, trailing the leader by a bunch but can make the top-10 with a good round today. He is 56th in FedEx cup points, a qualifying position for the money-rich tournament at the end of the season. He ranks 98th in the world.*

Here are Kevin's stats (http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.27214.html)for the season. Interesting, he is 17th on the PGA Tour in greens-in-regulation (percent of holes in which the player is on the green with two putts for par). He is 140th in putting, however, although doing much better the last few weeks.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
*Somehow the world golf organization has come up with a way to rank players (http://www.owgr.com/about) across the many different tours -- Alps Tour Golf, Asian Development Tour, Asian Tour, EuroPro Tour, European Challenge Tour, Japan Golf Tour, Korean Golf Tour, MENA Golf Tour, Nordic Golf League, OneAsia, PGA European Tour, PGA Tour, PGA Tour Canada, PGA Tour China, PGA Tour Latinoamérica, PGA Tour of Australasia, ProGolf Tour, Sunshine Tour and Web.com Tour. No doubt Kedsy is offering constructive advice.
And Wes Roach in 10th place. The other Dukie with exempt status this year, Wes needs a couple of high finishes to make top 125 and maintain status for next season. A top 5 today would be a huge help.

sagegrouse
06-26-2016, 07:30 PM
Kevin finished in T-12 and Wes in T-29 at the Quicken Loans tournament at Congressional CC.

jv001
06-29-2016, 08:29 AM
I actually did play it years ago during an Open year when they were letting the rough grow to "Open" length and had the first and second cuts growing in. The greens were ungodly fast but even still had not been cut or rolled to Open condition.

Don't think I hit a drive that stayed in the fairway, but hit many into the second cut or the rough that plunged the hole into crisis management. What is tough to tell from the TV coverage is just how difficult it is to judge distance or landing spots due to the terrain. The few times I felt I had hit a good shot I would arrive at the green to find that ball had escaped the putting surface. It got to the point where I would get a feeling of dread if I hit the ball the way I wanted, expecting the worst. I remember being foolish enough to try to hit a 6 iron out of the rough.

I never expect to putt well or even score well, but that course was demoralizing. The only bright spot for me was the sand, is was tremendous and consistent. Of course I get lots and lots of practice on my sand shots - sometimes between putts.

Your last sentence was funny. Driving the ball and putting used to be the best part of my game. But lately that's changed. The senior tees help more than anything. GoDuke!

53n206
06-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Your last sentence was funny. Driving the ball and putting used to be the best part of my game. But lately that's changed. The senior tees help more than anything. GoDuke!
Agree. In my younger days my story was--on in 2, off in 3, back on in 4 and 2 putt.

sagegrouse
07-11-2016, 02:15 AM
"The Open" is at Troon in Scotland. Kevin is not in the field, but is the second alternate, and deciding whether to take the journey per this tweet (https://twitter.com/Streels54).

He also sent a tweet congratulating Brittany.

Furniture
07-28-2016, 08:36 PM
http://www.dukechronicle.com/blog/blue-zone/2016/07/former-duke-golfer-kevin-streelman-reveals-new-wedge-named-after-j-j-redick-ahead-of-pga-championship

Pghdukie
08-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Streels at even par,along with Bubba,Spieth,McIlroy. Reed and Laird leading at -5 after 1st round of the Barclay at Bethpage.

sagegrouse
08-25-2016, 07:55 PM
Streels at even par,along with Bubba,Spieth,McIlroy. Reed and Laird leading at -5 after 1st round of the Barclay at Bethpage.

The Barclay's at Bethpage Black is the first event of the four-tournament FedEx Cup, culminating in the Tour Championship at East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta on September 22-25. The four tournaments feature, in turn, the top 125, 100, 70 and 30 players based on FedEx Cup points. Streelman began the Barclay's in 73rd position; he is now tied for 33rd in the Barclay's after one round.

Bob Green
08-27-2016, 04:39 PM
Streelman shot a 67 today and is tied for 4th place at -5. Rickie Fowler is the leader at -8 through 12 holes.

sagegrouse
09-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Kevin's in the field of 70 for the BMW Championship at Crooked Stick GC in Carmel, IN. He needs a top-five (maybe top-three) finish to advance to the Tour Championship in Atlanta. He's off to a rocky start at the BMW, with two double bogies in the first four holes. Fortunately, this is a "no-cut" tournament, so he has four days to scramble back into contention.

sagegrouse
09-08-2016, 10:13 PM
Kevin's in the field of 70 for the BMW Championship at Crooked Stick GC in Carmel, IN. He needs a top-five (maybe top-three) finish to advance to the Tour Championship in Atlanta. He's off to a rocky start at the BMW, with two double bogies in the first four holes. Fortunately, this is a "no-cut" tournament, so he has four days to scramble back into contention.

Streels fought his way back to even par -- good finish.

JasonEvans
09-09-2016, 09:51 AM
Kevin's in the field of 70 for the BMW Championship at Crooked Stick GC in Carmel, IN. He needs a top-five (maybe top-three) finish to advance to the Tour Championship in Atlanta.

It is probably going to take right around 1600 FedEx Cup points to make the Tour Championship field. Kevin came into this tournament with 918. First place is worth 2000 points, second is worth 1200. So, either of those would easily get him into the top 30. Third place is worth 760, which would also get him there, but if he is tied for third, he probably won't make it because even a 2-way tie for 3rd would only be worth 650 points (3rd 760 + 4th 540 divided by 2 = 650). Similarly, a 5-way tie for 2nd would also probably leave him a little bit short of what he needs, though a 5-way tie for 2nd is pretty unlikely.

Bottom line, he needs to at least finish 3rd, maybe 2nd, to advance. That's a lot to ask from a guy who has only one top-3 finish all year.

-Jason "other than a phenomenal 2-month hot streak in spring of 2013, Kevin's career has been to be a guy who is consistently among the top 70 guys on tour, but not among the top 30... which is still pretty darn amazing" Evans

BD80
09-09-2016, 03:48 PM
... -Jason "other than a phenomenal 2-month hot streak in spring of 2013, Kevin's career has been to be a guy who is consistently among the top 70 guys on tour, but not among the top 30... " Evans

Not bad work, and he doesn't have to work most weekends ...

Rich
09-12-2016, 08:10 PM
According to Yahoo Sports, nothing to sneeze at:

2016 Earnings: $1,601,177

Career Earnings: $14,430,103

sagegrouse
09-12-2016, 11:39 PM
According to Yahoo Sports, nothing to sneeze at:

2016 Earnings: $1,601,177

Career Earnings: $14,430,103

Several things about Streels. He seems to be one of the nicest guys ever -- always smiling, very family-oriented, including giving his parents and in-laws his $1 million bonus from a few years ago.

His stats are revealing (http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.27214.kevin-streelman.html/statistics):

Streels is #63 on the money list (59 in FedEx, 103 in world rankings).

He is #18 in "greens in regulation," a heckuva fine showing that measures how well and consistently a player strikes the ball.

But #169 in putting and #182 in sand save percentage.

The short game, Kevin; it's not that hard!