PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Cash is getting some buzz at senior bowl

oldnavy
01-30-2016, 06:40 AM
I was perusing my second favorite sports site this am and stumbled across this...

SS Jeremy Cash, Duke
6-foot-2, 212 pounds, Draft projection = second round
Cash is listed as a strong safety, and ranked as one of the best, but he has the skills and look that resemble more of a small linebacker than a true safety. For the Blue Devils, he lined up mostly as an outside linebacker (4-3 defense) and slot cornerback. His coverage skills are a question mark, so it wasn’t a surprise to see him struggle when he was used as a free safety on Day 2 and gave up a touchdown. But he is excellent in the box, which was already evident by his 100-plus tackles for three straight years at Duke. He’s a tackling machine and very strong against the run. The ACC's Defensive Player of the Year also flashed his pass-rush skills during Senior Bowl practices, consistently winning reps over oncoming blockers. Cash has been compared to Arizona's Deone Bucannon, who can shift between strong safety and linebacker for the Cardinals.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Scouting-The-Senior-Bowl-2016-Defensive-Backs/a685b819-4318-4dcc-82b8-8a2e869c199b

Nice to see Jeremy getting some love at the next level...

Bob Green
01-30-2016, 08:30 AM
Cash is listed as a strong safety, and ranked as one of the best, but he has the skills and look that resemble more of a small linebacker than a true safety.

Cash is going to be successful in the NFL but he is going to have to overcome being a bit of a tweener, too small to play linebacker with questionable coverage skills for safety.

CDu
01-30-2016, 08:34 AM
Cash is going to be successful in the NFL but he is going to have to overcome being a bit of a tweener, too small to play linebacker with questionable coverage skills for safety.

He will probably have to play more of a box safety like Polamalu.

budwom
01-30-2016, 08:51 AM

Yes, I've been firmly of this opinion for some time. He simply isn't fast enough to be a classic NFL safety...but there does seem to be a new trend towards some smaller, more mobile
linebackers, and he can be great in that role...definitely an in the box kind of guy

Dukehky
01-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Have you guys seen that Buchanon guy for the Cardinals? Cash could totally be that guy. Additionally, you cannot tell me that Cash would not be better for the Panthers after maybe 5 games than Roman Harper is.

Cash is going to be just fine. I'm mad that he's projected to go that high, because I want the Cats to get him.

Best Duke football player ever.

jv001
01-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Have you guys seen that Buchanon guy for the Cardinals? Cash could totally be that guy. Additionally, you cannot tell me that Cash would not be better for the Panthers after maybe 5 games than Roman Harper is.

Cash is going to be just fine. I'm mad that he's projected to go that high, because I want the Cats to get him.

Best Duke football player ever.

Ever heard of Mike Curtis or Sonny Jurgenson? GoDuke!

sagegrouse
01-30-2016, 07:12 PM

Plus old-timers and NFL HOF members Ace Parker and George McAfee.

westwall
01-30-2016, 07:39 PM
Plus old-timers and NFL HOF members Ace Parker and George McAfee.

Plus (among other greats), a former neighbor in DC scored six TDs for Duke -- in one game!

FerryFor50
01-30-2016, 08:42 PM
FWIW, Thomas Davis used to play safety in college and he turned out ok at LB.

BD80
01-31-2016, 09:23 AM
He will probably have to play more of a box safety like Polamalu.

He would look good in a Steeler uniform, but can he grow his hair out like that? (Head & Shoulders on line 1)

Teams like the Steelers or the Cards (Steelers West) could use Cash - playing him in the secondary on running downs and in the box on passing downs. Covering mobile tight ends will earn him a spot on the field.

ricks68
01-31-2016, 10:43 PM

Or Bob Matheson. Oh wait, he had no name.

ricks

jv001
02-01-2016, 06:51 AM

ricks

#53. Is that right? The 53 Defense the Dolphins ran. GoDuke!

ricks68
02-01-2016, 09:52 AM
#53. Is that right? The 53 Defense the Dolphins ran. GoDuke!

That is correct. It was more popularly called the "No Name Defense".

ricks

OldPhiKap
02-01-2016, 10:34 AM

ricks

I was going to say, I've been through the desert on a horse with no name -- but never a Dolphin.

IIRC, one of Nick Buoniconti's sons played at Duke in the 1990's (+/-). One of his other sons played at the Citadel, and was paralyzed in a game. I think Nick's Duke son may have given up football.

All of that is subject to the many more knowledgeable folks here giving the more correct details.

devildeac
02-01-2016, 10:45 AM
I was going to say, I've been through the desert on a horse with no name -- but never a Dolphin.

IIRC, one of Nick Buoniconti's sons played at Duke in the 1990's (+/-). One of his other sons played at the Citadel, and was paralyzed in a game. I think Nick's Duke son may have given up football.

All of that is subject to the many more knowledgeable folks here giving the more correct details.

Ain't that America...