PDA

View Full Version : Sylvia Hatchell uNc Suspended 2 games, bump of ref, and yikes! NCAA violation

aswewere
01-29-2016, 05:22 PM
Suspended for 2 games https://twitter.com/ArmstrongABC11

dukebluesincebirth
01-29-2016, 08:27 PM
So this is an immediate NCAA suspension for hatchell for a recent recruiting violation? This is weird...and released on a Friday afternoon along with the suspension for bumping an official? This doesn't sound good for bubba.

MarkD83
01-29-2016, 08:41 PM
I am glad the NCAA acted quickly to suspend Hatchell, but how does this level III recruiting violation get a one game suspension that is immediately applied as a penalty and all of the BS around the NOA etc gets dragged out?

CameronBornAndBred
01-29-2016, 08:49 PM
Not for a recruiting violation, this is for her charging a ref during the Duke game. At the time, she was only Teed up, but she should have been ejected.

MarkD83
01-29-2016, 08:51 PM
I thought the article read that 1 game suspension for bumping the ref and 1 game for a recruiting violation.

CameronBornAndBred
01-29-2016, 08:54 PM
I thought the article read that 1 game suspension for bumping the ref and 1 game for a recruiting violation.

I am glad the NCAA acted quickly to suspend Hatchell, but how does this level III recruiting violation get a one game suspension that is immediately applied as a penalty and all of the BS around the NOA etc gets dragged out?

You're right. And good question.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-s-hatchell-benched-for-two-games/15293621/

Stray Gator
01-29-2016, 08:55 PM

That is correct -- according to reports, she will serve a one-game suspension imposed by UNC for bumping the official at the Duke game, and another one-game suspension imposed by the NCAA for a recruiting violation (simulating a game introduction during a recruit's visit).

OldPhiKap
01-29-2016, 08:59 PM
That is correct -- according to reports, she will serve a one-game suspension imposed by UNC for bumping the official at the Duke game, and another one-game suspension imposed by the NCAA for a recruiting violation (simulating a game introduction during a recruit's visit).

UNC self-impose? Surely, you jest.

devildeac
01-29-2016, 09:03 PM
You're right. And good question.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-s-hatchell-benched-for-two-games/15293621/

She needs at least another 1 game added on to those 2 already for the hideous colored seats behind her in that photo. Blecch.

devildeac
01-29-2016, 09:05 PM

Why not? They're hoping that this magnanimous gesture will constitute their entire penalty :rolleyes: .

Doria
01-29-2016, 10:00 PM
Is UNC able to choose which games she's suspended for? I only ask because of the one-game skip around Louisville, between NCSU and Boston College. I know they are separate penalties, but just wondering about the scheduling. Maybe they're breaking that way since her assistant is apparently suspended for Louisville?

Also, this was hilarious to me: "My actions at Duke were out of character and do not reflect the deep respect for our sport and its officials.”

Juxtaposed with: "After the [Duke] game she described the moment [of getting a technical following the incident with the official] as 'worth it,' according to The Daily Tar Heel, the UNC student newspaper."

weezie
01-29-2016, 10:03 PM
She's a tiresome old bore, too.

What a soup school.

Newton_14
01-29-2016, 11:53 PM
Things long ago moved past comical over at Cheater Hill. Very weird indeed that out of the blue pops a one game suspension for breaking NCAA rules... again. "Simulating recruits having their names called out in the starting line up in the nose dome" lol

Did she even get tossed out of the Duke game for bumping the ref? I thought she just got a tech for that?

BigWayne
01-30-2016, 03:04 AM
Things long ago moved past comical over at Cheater Hill. Very weird indeed that out of the blue pops a one game suspension for breaking NCAA rules... again. "Simulating recruits having their names called out in the starting line up in the nose dome" lol

Did she even get tossed out of the Duke game for bumping the ref? I thought she just got a tech for that?

Ref should have tossed her but didn't.

oldnavy
01-30-2016, 06:12 AM
Can someone explain to me why there is a rule against "mock announcing" of a recruit in the starting line-up?

Any UNC suspension is a good suspension IMO, but I can't come up with a good reason why play acting introductions would be a recruiting violation.... is there something obvious here that I am missing this early morning???

DukieInKansas
01-30-2016, 08:23 AM
Can someone explain to me why there is a rule against "mock announcing" of a recruit in the starting line-up?

Any UNC suspension is a good suspension IMO, but I can't come up with a good reason why play acting introductions would be a recruiting violation... is there something obvious here that I am missing this early morning???

Because the NCAA has some weird rules?

wsb3
01-30-2016, 08:42 AM
Also, this was hilarious to me: "My actions at Duke were out of character and do not reflect the deep respect for our sport and its officials.”

Juxtaposed with: "After the [Duke] game she described the moment [of getting a technical following the incident with the official] as 'worth it,' according to The Daily Tar Heel, the UNC student newspaper."

Good point. Maybe it was worth it till she got punished?? When you have got away with cheating for decades with no penalties I guess you get use to it. THE CAROLINA WAY IN ACTION

sagegrouse
01-30-2016, 08:45 AM

Well, we have to remember, the self-imposed penalty keeps Sylvia Hatchell off the sideline. I am sure the Heels would be happy to make it permanent if the other stuff would just go away.

budwom
01-30-2016, 08:55 AM
The conspiratorial side of me is assuming that the unc hierarchy was behind all this as it very nicely fits their narrative that
Sylvia's program was the only real evil doer during the 23 years of (non) cheating. Roy and The Hat are just innocent bystanders, buffeted by
her illicit wake.

oldnavy
01-30-2016, 09:52 AM
Because the NCAA has some weird rules?

I bet you are right... just because someone somewhere thought that it made sense.... SMH.

Why don't people (especially policy makers) stop and think about what they are doing anymore?

School: "What is the thinking behind the ban on announcing recruits as if they were starting a game to a mostly empty gym?"
NCAA: "Because, it's against the rules."
School: "Oh"

I fear critical thinking by policy makers is a dying art...

Neals384
01-30-2016, 11:17 AM

Any UNC suspension is a good suspension IMO, but I can't come up with a good reason why play acting introductions would be a recruiting violation... is there something obvious here that I am missing this early morning???

Perhaps because it implies a promise the recruit will be a starter?

ChillinDuke
01-30-2016, 01:37 PM
Perhaps because it implies a promise the recruit will be a starter?

Or also could have been thought to start an arms race. School #1 announces recruits name. School #2 adds fireworks. School #3 adds cheerleaders. School #4 adds naked cheerleaders (kidding, kidding).

I don't really like the rule but possible they were trying to guard against escalation and level playing field.

- Chillin

OldPhiKap
01-30-2016, 01:39 PM
Or also could have been thought to start an arms race. School #1 announces recruits name. School #2 adds fireworks. School #3 adds cheerleaders. School #4 adds naked cheerleaders (kidding, kidding).

I don't really like the rule but possible they were trying to guard against escalation and level playing field.

- Chillin

You mean Louisville could do more than they have been? Yikes.

sagegrouse
01-30-2016, 02:28 PM

- Chillin

This is an "inside baseball" story. It seems like the coaches and AD's just said we won't do this -- that is, close down the gym, chase out the IM guys, turn off the lights, find someone to run the spotlight, trot out the PA announcer and then pretend to introduce a recruit as a starting player. It just inconveniences everyone. It may seem picayune, but it is reasonable to have detailed rules and clear lines.

And remember, this isn't about NCAA bureaucrats. The NCAA is an entity created by the colleges to enforce the rules that are enacted by the colleges.

chrishoke
01-30-2016, 04:37 PM
It makes you wonder how the NCAA knew ab out the violation?

devildeac
01-30-2016, 04:40 PM
It makes you wonder how the NCAA knew ab out the violation?

Self-reporting? (lol)

More likely, Bubba and ol' roy let them know...