PDA

View Full Version : Ol' Roy hates the green room

FerryFor50
01-29-2016, 04:30 PM
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article57303618.html

This rant is hilarious, for many reasons.

I think ESPN is (an ACC) partner, and I’ve got to watch on TV where somebody’s college basketball game and they’re talking about the freaking green room? That’s the most ridiculous thing. And that’s one of my partners? That’s half the damn broadcast: ‘Well, so-and-so’s in the green room.’

And then we get the source of the rant:

And this is a great time for me to be saying something about it. Because they ain’t mentioning any of my guys, OK. But God almighty, you’re sitting there, you’re trying to win championships, and here it is, January, and ESPN’s talking about some green room and some Chad Ford or who it is and his (draft projections) – that’s the most ridiculous thing we’re having to put up with in college basketball.

Roy's mad because his guys aren't getting mentioned.

And why would they? Who on his team is green room material right now? He convinced his guys to stick around when they *might* have been first rounders had they left early. Then he failed to develop them properly.

But that's ESPN's fault, right Roy?

MartyClark
01-29-2016, 04:43 PM
It is hilarious. And somewhat consistent with Dan LeBatard's conclusion (I'll paraphrase) that Roy look like the curator of a small town museum who expectantly stares out the window all day, hoping that someone will visit. At the end of the day, he disappointedly puts up the "closed" sign and leaves. (Something like that)

dyedwab
01-29-2016, 04:44 PM
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article57303618.html

This rant is hilarious, for many reasons.

And then we get the source of the rant:

Roy's mad because his guys aren't getting mentioned.

And why would they? Who on his team is green room material right now? He convinced his guys to stick around when they *might* have been first rounders had they left early. Then he failed to develop them properly.

But that's ESPN's fault, right Roy?

I agree that it's easy to mock Roy for this, and he definitely deserves it. However....

I find myself agreeing with the overall point. I find the constant focus on the NBA potential/upside of elite college players to be irritating. I personally don't care all the much about their NBA potential WHILE I'M WATCHING THEM PLAY A COLLEGE GAME. And this isn't the long-time debate over how good one and done is for the game. It's just that when I'm watching LSU or Marquette or Duke or Oklahoma, my first thought about their marquee players is "Man, he's really good at this. I wonder how he's gonna to win this game" rather then, "Boy, that's skill is gonna serve him well next year in Miami". I reserve those thoughts for post-season all star games, and highlight reels.

And, they are either intentionally or unintentionally devaluing one of their products (NCAA basketball) for the future of another product (NBA basketball). Just my opinion, but if you are constantly promoting the "next-level" ability of the key stars of the college game, you are basically saying the games they are currently playing aren't that important. So, eventually, your audience will absorb that message....

El_Diablo
01-29-2016, 04:44 PM
Isn't the "green room" the name of the room in Roy's house that Will Graves stayed in?

DukieInKansas
01-29-2016, 05:11 PM
I agree that it's easy to mock Roy for this, and he definitely deserves it. However...

I find myself agreeing with the overall point. I find the constant focus on the NBA potential/upside of elite college players to be irritating. I personally don't care all the much about their NBA potential WHILE I'M WATCHING THEM PLAY A COLLEGE GAME. And this isn't the long-time debate over how good one and done is for the game. It's just that when I'm watching LSU or Marquette or Duke or Oklahoma, my first thought about their marquee players is "Man, he's really good at this. I wonder how he's gonna to win this game" rather then, "Boy, that's skill is gonna serve him well next year in Miami". I reserve those thoughts for post-season all star games, and highlight reels.

And, they are either intentionally or unintentionally devaluing one of their products (NCAA basketball) for the future of another product (NBA basketball). Just my opinion, but if you are constantly promoting the "next-level" ability of the key stars of the college game, you are basically saying the games they are currently playing aren't that important. So, eventually, your audience will absorb that message...

This!

Roy sounds whiny when he talks about them not mentioning any of his players. If he talked about it as dyedwab just did, he would be applauded even if, deep inside, he just doesn't like it because no unc players are mentioned.

tbyers11
01-29-2016, 05:12 PM
I agree that it's easy to mock Roy for this, and he definitely deserves it. However...

And, they are either intentionally or unintentionally devaluing one of their products (NCAA basketball) for the future of another product (NBA basketball). Just my opinion, but if you are constantly promoting the "next-level" ability of the key stars of the college game, you are basically saying the games they are currently playing aren't that important. So, eventually, your audience will absorb that message...

While it is extremely funny that Roy is whining about the Green Room Guys campaign because none of his guys are listed I do agree with you in strongly disliking the overall campaign for the reasons you mentioned.

The subtext that the NCAA games are simply prelude to getting drafted makes no sense to me either as a marketing strategy.

OldPhiKap
01-29-2016, 05:29 PM
To be fair, Roy, ESPN isn't talking about the huge athletic scandal that went on under your gosh darn nose for a decade either.

So, shut up and call a time out or something.

MCFinARL
01-29-2016, 05:56 PM
This!

Roy sounds whiny when he talks about them not mentioning any of his players. If he talked about it as dyedwab just did, he would be applauded even if, deep inside, he just doesn't like it because no unc players are mentioned.

It's interesting, though, he seems to be saying that he is freer to complain about this than other coaches might be because they aren't talking about his players. I.e., he is suggesting it might seem weird or inappropriate for, say, Coach K to complain about green room talk when Brandon Ingram and green room are often mentioned together.

I'm not sure the logic holds up, though, since green room talk is probably even more distracting from the goal of winning college games when your players are the subject of it than when they are not.

DukieTiger
01-29-2016, 06:30 PM
More than an indicative of the college hoops landscape, I just think the green room is a dumb concept and more indicative of ESPN's descent into hokeyness and trying too hard to come up with talking points.

Even if the college game is dominated by talking about pro-potential and getting guys to the league as fast as they can, can't they just talk about Brandon Ingram in those terms, rather than trying to prop up your color guys with these stupid themes?

All that said, Roy: haha.

uh_no
01-29-2016, 06:52 PM
blasphemy. the green room is one of the best dives in Durham. 100 different bottles of beer? great atmosphere?

DukieInKansas
01-29-2016, 07:04 PM
blasphemy. the green room is one of the best dives in Durham. 100 different bottles of beer? great atmosphere?

Are they on the wall? Do you take one down and pass it around?

:D

Indoor66
01-29-2016, 07:31 PM
Roy's problem is he wants to know what's behind The Green Door (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZJSD9O5V_4)!

(Turn up the sound and enjoy!)

jacone21
01-29-2016, 07:42 PM
This is the second time I have agreed with Ol' Roy.

jipops
01-29-2016, 07:43 PM
Last time I checked, ESPN has a contract with the NBA. Also, last time I checked, ESPN is in the sports and entertainment business. Much of the success of this business depends on promotion. Kind of like how you have promoted your program to hundreds of potential recruits over the years. Get over it Roy. The 80's and 90's are long freakin' gone. If you have such a problem with it, go coach a mid-major or div II school.

DukieTiger
01-29-2016, 07:58 PM
Last time I checked, ESPN has a contract with the NBA. Also, last time I checked, ESPN is in the sports and entertainment business. Much of the success of this business depends on promotion. Kind of like how you have promoted your program to hundreds of potential recruits over the years. Get over it Roy. The 80's and 90's are long freakin' gone. If you have such a problem with it, go coach a mid-major or div II school.

I hear ya, but even as a promotion one can argue it's dumb. Don't think Roy should whine about it, but it feels like poor marketing to me. So I kind of understand his comments on it being stupid.

OldPhiKap
01-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Don't worry Roy -- when the NCAA finally rules, you won't be on ESPN for a year or two.

jipops
01-29-2016, 08:04 PM
I hear ya, but even as a promotion one can argue it's dumb. Don't think Roy should whine about it, but it feels like poor marketing to me. So I kind of understand his comments on it being stupid.

I would agree that it hovers over toward the stupid zone. But Roy is on an outright soap box about it. He doesn't just think it's stupid, it's actually causing him grief. Such a fragile state of mind for such an accomplished coach.

MarkD83
01-29-2016, 08:34 PM
The thread is now closed, but marketing like this may be a contributing factor to a decrease in attendance at NCAA games.

Why go to a game if none of the green room guys is playing or maybe wait until they play in the NBA.

That being said, Roy's comments like most of what he says are self serving. I am surprised he didn't use the 3rd person to describe how much the green room guys are hurting his program.

MCFinARL
01-29-2016, 08:43 PM
Roy's problem is he wants to know what's behind The Green Door (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZJSD9O5V_4)!

OMG--great pop culture reference for us oldsters! Who says the 50s weren't fabulous!

BigWayne
01-29-2016, 08:56 PM

Marilyn Chambers is behind the green door if I recall correctly.

devildeac
01-29-2016, 08:58 PM

Shoot, I said I know it's only rock 'n roll but I like it, but I thought you were providing a link to what is really Behind the Green Door :o .

(Well, give Big Wayne 2 minutes extra credit for posting that reference as I was typing/researching mine :o .)

norduck
01-29-2016, 09:16 PM
I would agree that it hovers over toward the stupid zone. But Roy is on an outright soap box about it. He doesn't just think it's stupid, it's actually causing him grief. Such a fragile state of mind for such an accomplished coach.

Agree, kind of a "fishy" state of mind.

Doria
01-29-2016, 09:42 PM
This is the second time I have agreed with Ol' Roy.

I have to agree more strongly with the following: "Damn, I was looking around, I saw Michigan State wearing some ugly green uniforms the other day." I think we can all come to a consensus on this point. Those uniforms are terrible! And unlike Roy's apparently, my TV gets more than one channel, and I still don't think I've ever seen such horrible colors.

weezie
01-29-2016, 10:02 PM
Yawn...any ol'huck observations, asides or chortles are windy echos of ancient gas eruptions.

What the huck is he ever talking about anyway? Gawd what a sack....

Newton_14
01-29-2016, 11:42 PM

I'll be the first to admit I hated it the minute I saw it. The part about not mentioning his players is funny and fair game (and I will rip the unc-cheat guys about it Monday since they ripped me all week over the Duke losses), but I agree with him on ESPN creating the stupid green room crapola. How bout talking about how the phenom is going to help his college team win games?

Let's just end college basketball entirely. Put all the High School games on TV and start having early entry/one and done after their freshman year in High School... Then we can end high school hoops and televise all the middle school games and talk about the Green Room 5th graders who will forego their final 3 yrs there to go to the NBA... That 11 yr old with Curry the other night had a serious handle... surely he is ready to start in the backcourt with Curry next season with the Warriors, right?

Ok rant over.. and I now need a shower for agreeing with Ol Roy on something! :) But hey Sylvia just broke another NCAA rule and has to sit so the Carolina Way is alive and well in Cheater Hill...

oldnavy
01-30-2016, 06:23 AM
Roy's seems to be pretty upset about the ESPN Green Room promo.... see front page for article and link....

While I agree in principle, and I have made my views on ESPN's production of college BB games clear in the past (watching a game on ESPN is really more like watching an ESPN commercial for the next ESPN show) I think Roy is more ticked off that none of his players are included in the Green Room skit.

He had to mention a couple of times that "they aren't talking about my guys..." in the context that since his guys weren't featured he could have a righteous rant on the subject, but those of us who have been watching Roy over the last decade or so know that it is ALWAYS about Roy... ALWAYS.

devildeac
01-30-2016, 07:48 AM
I thought about starting another thread for this as it's a different subject but that would make two on the front page about ol' roy so I figured we could simply pile on him extra with this article:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article57356618.html

Money/funny/honey-can-you-believe-he-really-said-this quote:

“I can’t remember our schedule, guys,” Williams said at one point early in his press conference on Friday, trying to remember the day he addressed his players about the team’s shooting woes. “This schedule has been so ridiculous I can’t even remember what the crap day it is.”

Sounds like the poor fella needs a probation, err, vacation ;) .

arnie
01-30-2016, 07:59 AM
Roy's seems to be pretty upset about the ESPN Green Room promo... see front page for article and link...

While I agree in principle, and I have made my views on ESPN's production of college BB games clear in the past (watching a game on ESPN is really more like watching an ESPN commercial for the next ESPN show) I think Roy is more ticked off that none of his players are included in the Green Room skit.

He had to mention a couple of times that "they aren't talking about my guys..." in the context that since his guys weren't featured he could have a righteous rant on the subject, but those of us who have been watching Roy over the last decade or so know that it is ALWAYS about Roy... ALWAYS.
Maybe Roy's rants against ESPN will waken Bilas and others at ESPN to UNC cheating scandal? Payback would be fun to watch.

wsb3
01-30-2016, 08:46 AM
To be fair, Roy, ESPN isn't talking about the huge athletic scandal that went on under your gosh darn nose for a decade either.

So, shut up and call a time out or something.

Well said, Sir.

uh_no
01-30-2016, 08:52 AM

http://www.greenroomdurham.com/Beer_Selection.html

oldnavy
01-30-2016, 10:07 AM
I thought about starting another thread for this as it's a different subject but that would make two on the front page about ol' roy so I figured we could simply pile on him extra with this article:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article57356618.html

Money/funny/honey-can-you-believe-he-really-said-this quote:

“I can’t remember our schedule, guys,” Williams said at one point early in his press conference on Friday, trying to remember the day he addressed his players about the team’s shooting woes. “This schedule has been so ridiculous I can’t even remember what the crap day it is.”

Sounds like the poor fella needs a probation, err, vacation ;) .

Once again Roy is playing the "stupid card". He often plays it when he doesn't want to be responsible or is trying to be charming and self effacing. I personally like his other charterer, "Mountain Man"... where he challenges foes to B.B. gun battles or wrestling matches when he feels he has been wronged or slighted.

It is also fascinating to watch him flip from being the most involved, in touch coach in the world, to the I can't keep up with the basketball schedule, or the how am I to know what classes my players take coach....

Neals384
01-30-2016, 11:27 AM

And if one of those bottles should happen to fall...

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
01-31-2016, 01:23 PM
I know everyone on this board makes fun of Roy all the time, but I absolutely agreed with him regarding the schedule. I find back to back away games over a two day weekend to be stupid. On top of that Duke had to fly to Miami after a Saturday afternoon game for an early Monday night game. Even if we were at full strength that would be hard. I'm definitely old school but the conference needs to quit sacrificing its history and more importantly the kids well being for the almighty dollar. So this weekend we have no football games of consequence, and yet Duke is idle. Maybe I'm just mad this weekend because I don't get to watch my Devils, and I'm in some sort of withdraw, but I agree with Roy on this one.

Pghdukie
01-31-2016, 04:16 PM
The "GREEN ROOM" has been open for 15+ yrs on the Hill. It's called AFAM !