PDA

View Full Version : Metal detectors at men's basketball games

summerwind03
01-29-2016, 12:33 PM
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/01/duke-to-begin-metal-detector-screening-at-mens-basketball-games

DukeDevil
01-29-2016, 01:36 PM
"The court will no longer be open to the public following games"
...wow...that sucks.

TruBlu
01-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Well, if 'Pat Downs" are around the corner, I will have to give up my season tickets . . . unless the cheerleaders are placed on the security force.

In which case I will up my donation.

mattman91
01-29-2016, 02:16 PM
The two games I went to this year I thought security was pretty weak. I walked in, the "security" looked at me and said I was good and waved me through. I'm a CCW holder and could have easily brought in my Glock, not that I would care to, but it would have been very easy.

I agree with the poster above me, pat downs would be ridiculous.

aimo
01-29-2016, 02:24 PM
Where we enter, we have to open our jackets and they pat down our jacket pockets. I keep threatening to lift my shirt, but I'm afraid the old guy that works the door might have a coronary. Yes, I am female.

BLPOG
01-29-2016, 02:29 PM
Well, if 'Pat Downs" are around the corner, I will have to give up my season tickets . . . unless the cheerleaders are placed on the security force.

In which case I will up my donation.

Different lines based on level of athletics support. Visiting fans get patted down by convicts doing community service. Season ticket holders get the cheerleader treatment.

Big donors get to pat down the cheerleaders.

Okay, I better leave now before things get out of hand.

uh_no
01-29-2016, 06:48 PM
plus it will be run by staff one... which means it will of course operate flawlessly!

WakeDevil
01-29-2016, 07:38 PM
I officiated a middle school game that had two police officers in uniform in case the Islamic State appeared. Let's rename this country the Land of the Unfree and the Home of the Petrified.

-jk
01-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Folks, please don't make this a public policy debate.

-jk

wavedukefan70s
01-29-2016, 10:47 PM
Doesn't surprise me.we played Providence high in Charlotte .they had metal detectors and such.
We played a school near orangeburg sc.
We literally had to call the police to leave. people had the street blocked wouldnt let us leave.
Incidents like that make everyone suffer.

MCFinARL
01-29-2016, 11:19 PM
So, um, I understand that more people come to men's basketball games than come to women's games, but--screening only for men's games? Do we not care what happens to the women and their fans, or is the assumption that dangerous people are only drawn to bigger crowds? I'm not convinced that is the case. I suppose an argument could be made that the TV coverage might make a difference.

I'm probably verging way into PP territory here so maybe I should resume the jokes about patting down cheerleaders.

msdukie
01-30-2016, 12:03 AM
So, um, I understand that more people come to men's basketball games than come to women's games, but--screening only for men's games? Do we not care what happens to the women and their fans, or is the assumption that dangerous people are only drawn to bigger crowds? I'm not convinced that is the case. I suppose an argument could be made that the TV coverage might make a difference.

I'm probably verging way into PP territory here so maybe I should resume the jokes about patting down cheerleaders.

Original article says this is a pilot program starting with men's games. I think that the eventual intent is to extend it to WBB, football, and perhaps other sports down the road, though there is pretty much no security for fans entering games other than the three revenue sports.

ricks68
01-30-2016, 01:07 AM
"The court will no longer be open to the public following games"
...wow...that sucks.

I noticed that the court closure after games was listed last, and kinda snuck in there almost as an afterthought. That is the worst thing that is going to happen. People come from all over the country to get on the court after games for pictures, etc. Hundreds of fans per game who have never attended a Duke game before, will now be cut off from one of the great things that makes being a Duke fan such a personal experience, and result in a negative effect on our future fan base. We always hang around on the floor after games, usually talking to the parents of the players we have met over the years. The Scheyers, Plumlees and Jeffersons, to just name a few, have been very gracious to us over the years, resulting in friendships that are still present today. IMHO, this will be a big blow to the Duke "family" atmosphere, and obviously affect monetary contributions along with stifling the growth of our fan base. Might as well enclose the court in glass to keep any fan contact away. Why should I drive for about 4 hours each way to feel shut out from participation with my "family"? I could just as well watch it at home and turn up the volume to simulate the atmosphere that we will be left with.:mad::mad::mad:

I will definitely be contacting the Iron Dukes office to express my displeasure, and may be reducing my annual contribution if something is not done about this.

ricks