PDA

View Full Version : Miracle Minute, 1/27/01

wilson
01-27-2016, 09:39 AM
Still one of the all-time most amazing things I've ever seen a team pull off. Where did 15 years go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_pPqWfI84

pfrduke
01-27-2016, 09:44 AM
I was watching the game with 15 or so people in my dorm room and to make space for everyone, was watching from my lofted bed. When Jason got the steal and the three to cut it to 5 at the 50 second mark (still a long way to go) I launched myself in the air and slammed my head into the ceiling. Adrenaline took care of the pain for the rest of the game and then in the aftermath I washed down a few Advil with celebratory tequila shots.

Long story short, I miss college.

sagegrouse
01-27-2016, 09:48 AM
Thanks for posting. I watched the entire segment.

DukeFanSince1990
01-27-2016, 09:57 AM
That team had no quit whatsoever. Thanks for that memory. Battier was the player that first made my wife like a Duke player. Which for those of you that did not know she was raised a Cheater fan but saw the light during our first year of marriage.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-27-2016, 09:59 AM
I watch that every 6-8 months or so. Wish there was an HD copy, but the grainy footage is almost even better as it matches my hazy memory.

Sir Stealth
01-27-2016, 10:01 AM
I have thought about this game in every single game where Duke has been down what seems like a hopeless amount toward the end of the game. It changed the way fans feel about the possibility of a late comeback, because anything seems possible after that.

pfrduke
01-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Sportscenter trolled SVP about this game last night:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14656514

moonpie23
01-27-2016, 10:33 AM
Lol....that shane tho....

brevity
01-27-2016, 10:34 AM
Fifteen years later, and Gary Williams still wakes up in a cold sweat when he dreams about that game. Granted, he always wakes up in a cold sweat.

CDu
01-27-2016, 10:56 AM
I was watching that game from my apartment on Central Campus with a bunch of buddies. At some point in the game (I think it was the tying basket) one of my buddies picked me up off the back of the couch in celebration. I banged my knee and elbow hard on the wooden back of the couch, but it was well worth it. What a crazy game. Even crazier that we had the 20+ point comeback against them in the Final Four. What a glorious senior year that was.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-27-2016, 11:41 AM
I still prefer the "Gone in 54 Seconds" name.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-27-2016, 11:44 AM
I have thought about this game in every single game where Duke has been down what seems like a hopeless amount toward the end of the game. It changed the way fans feel about the possibility of a late comeback, because anything seems possible after that.

The same thing happens to me, but then I think player so-and-so is no Jason Williams.

DukieInKansas
01-27-2016, 12:25 PM
Always worth watching again.

and again

and again

:D

gus
01-27-2016, 12:45 PM
"Wanted to ask earlier: Why isn't Jason Williams out of the game? This is why!"

I taped this game, because I was out of town. I got a message from a friend who'd take the role of Maryland fan whenever Duke played them (his brother went there) "you should watch the entire game".

Olympic Fan
01-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Watching the replay for the millionth time (I also have it on VHS) I just noticed an officiating error that helped Duke in that final minute:

At the 48 second mark, during the timeout after Jason Williams' steal and 3-pointer cuts it to 90-85, there is a timeout. During the timeout, Coach K inserts Andre Buckner to give a foul. When the game resumes, Buckner fouls Drew Nichols before the inbounds is made -- with the clock still stopped.

After Nicholas misses the first free throw, there is a horn and a couple of Duke subs come in -- and Buckner leaves. I'm not sure who he was in for (Williams? Duhon?), but the point is, he should not have been able to come out since no time had come off the clock. Not a huge error, but a minor mistake that did help.

So many great memories -- the sound going out in the final 21 seconds ... Williams' heroics -- I've never seen another player who could have a terrible game for 39 or so minutes and then make a winning play at the end. He most have done that 10 times in his career (including the 2001 championship game to some degree) ... I also miss old Cole Field House -- an iconic arena.

Also, the snippet reminded me that Brad Daugherty is (or was) the one UNC player in broadcasting that doesn't make me want to throw my shoe at the screen. He's pretty good -- law key, funny and unbiased (at least on the air).

Appropriate to post this today -- after last night's Wake-Virginia game.

I would think that the three most dramatic last-second comebacks in ACC history are (1) The Gone in 54 Seconds Game at Maryland and UNC's rally against Duke in Carmichael in 1974 (eight points in 16 seconds -- without a 3-point shot) and Virginia's rally last night.

Of those three, the Duke-Maryland game has to be No. 1 if for no other reason that the other two involved very good teams rallying to beat bad teams. But the 2001 Terps were a Final Four team and that makes the Miracle Minute that much more remarkable. Duke had another historic comeback against the Terps in the Final Four -- but that was a different kind of comeback (from a huge deficit, but no real last-second drama).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-27-2016, 01:17 PM
I would like to post again on here to mention how happy it makes me to remember this game all day today. It was probably my favorite non-UNC, non-Championship moment of my Duke fandom.

Tom B.
01-27-2016, 01:18 PM
I would think that the three most dramatic last-second comebacks in ACC history are (1) The Gone in 54 Seconds Game at Maryland and UNC's rally against Duke in Carmichael in 1974 (eight points in 16 seconds -- without a 3-point shot) and Virginia's rally last night.

Of those three, the Duke-Maryland game has to be No. 1 if for no other reason that the other two involved very good teams rallying to beat bad teams. But the 2001 Terps were a Final Four team and that makes the Miracle Minute that much more remarkable. Duke had another historic comeback against the Terps in the Final Four -- but that was a different kind of comeback (from a huge deficit, but no real last-second drama).

In the 1995 game against Carolina in Cameron, Duke came back from eight points down with 20 seconds left to tie the game at the end of the first overtime -- with Capel's famous buzzer-beater from 40 feet supplying the last three points of that comeback. But nobody remembers it because Carolina ended up winning the game.

nocilla
01-27-2016, 03:18 PM
The ACCDN shares a perspective from J Williams. I had never heard the part about what Battier told them at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUkiY5E6lPY

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-27-2016, 03:19 PM
In the 1995 game against Carolina in Cameron, Duke came back from eight points down with 20 seconds left to tie the game at the end of the first overtime -- with Capel's famous buzzer-beater from 40 feet supplying the last three points of that comeback. But nobody remembers it because Carolina ended up winning the game.

Well, I see it the other way around - they replay that shot over and over when we play UNC, and no one remembers we ended up losing. Not a bad way to have things play out.

But ugh, Serge Zwikker.

cato
01-27-2016, 03:30 PM

That game is probably the most crushing non-tournament loss I can recall. When you say "nobody remembers it," I sure wish that nobody included me.

This season is brining back lots of bad memories of 94-95, what with all the near miss losses.

CameronBornAndBred
01-27-2016, 03:42 PM
I'm gonna celebrate this memory by setting my neighbor's car on fire.

jv001
01-27-2016, 03:49 PM
Watching the replay for the millionth time (I also have it on VHS) I just noticed an officiating error that helped Duke in that final minute:

At the 48 second mark, during the timeout after Jason Williams' steal and 3-pointer cuts it to 90-85, there is a timeout. During the timeout, Coach K inserts Andre Buckner to give a foul. When the game resumes, Buckner fouls Drew Nichols before the inbounds is made -- with the clock still stopped.

After Nicholas misses the first free throw, there is a horn and a couple of Duke subs come in -- and Buckner leaves. I'm not sure who he was in for (Williams? Duhon?), but the point is, he should not have been able to come out since no time had come off the clock. Not a huge error, but a minor mistake that did help.

So many great memories -- the sound going out in the final 21 seconds ... Williams' heroics -- I've never seen another player who could have a terrible game for 39 or so minutes and then make a winning play at the end. He most have done that 10 times in his career (including the 2001 championship game to some degree) ... I also miss old Cole Field House -- an iconic arena.

Also, the snippet reminded me that Brad Daugherty is (or was) the one UNC player in broadcasting that doesn't make me want to throw my shoe at the screen. He's pretty good -- law key, funny and unbiased (at least on the air).
Appropriate to post this today -- after last night's Wake-Virginia game.

Brad is one of my favorite broadcasters and one of a few unc players that I actually like. Noted that I didn't say uncheat when it comes to Brad. I'm sure this young man from Kings Mountain(I believe) obtained his education by actually going to class. GoDuke!

Olympic Fan
01-27-2016, 03:52 PM
The mention of crushing losses reminded me of what the Duke comeback did to Maryland in 2001.

They had won 13 of 14 coming into that game and were ranked No. 8 nationally.

Losing that game obviously set them back. They lost the next time out to Virginia -- by 21 points. After beating a very bad Clemson team, they lost the next three in a row, including a homecourt loss to a 9-21 FSU team (when the team was booed off the court by their "fans"). That's losses in four of five games after the "crushing" Duke loss.

Obviously, that was a very good Maryland team -- one that got it back together and made it to the Final Four. I have to think that the Miracle Minute loss to Duke had to have an impact.

I thought the same with Duke's football "loss" to Miami this season. I honestly believe the losses that followed that game -- especially the Pitt and Virginia losses -- were a product on that crushing "defeat".

I will be interested to see how Wake Forest responds to what happened Tuesday night. The Deacs' next five games start with a trip to Notre Dame, which they probably lose anyway (although if Jackson is still out, that could be a winnable game). Then they get Clemson and Florida State at home, followed by games at Georgia Tech and at NC State. If Wake is playing well, they could win several of those games. But I'll be surprised if they do ...

Tom B.
01-27-2016, 03:54 PM
That game is probably the most crushing non-tournament loss I can recall. When you say "nobody remembers it," I sure wish that nobody included me.

When I said "nobody remembers it," I meant that nobody remembers Duke coming back from eight down in 20 seconds. All they remember is Capel's shot.

It's tough to rank the losses from that season in terms of soul-crushingness. It's like the basketball gods were in a competition to one-up each other with new and brutal ways for Duke to lose.

There was the home game against Virginia, in which Duke led by 21 at halftime (and 23 early in the second half), before losing in double overtime. (This one particularly sucked for me. I was in law school at UVa at the time -- I had tickets to that game in Cameron, then had to drive back to Charlottesville in the dead of night and hear about it from all my friends over the next several days.)

There was the home game against Maryland, in which Joe Smith hung 40 on us -- with points 39 and 40 coming on a game-deciding tip-in that bounced around on the rim while the final horn was sounding, then dropped through.
https://youtu.be/0CoirDbmQhs?t=770

But yeah, I think the Carolina loss beats 'em all. Coming back from double digits down in regulation, coming back from eight down with 20 seconds to go in the first overtime, Capel's shot -- the script was setting up for Duke to pull off a win for the ages, and then...nope. And, it was Carolina.

Reilly
01-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Fifteen years later, and Gary Williams still wakes up in a cold sweat ...

That Maryland game was the night before the Super Bowl, and the Ravens were in it. Gary Williams (a friend of Ravens co-owner Steve Bisciotti) flew down to the Super Bowl and reportedly was morose and no fun the entire day. What could have been a grand weekend for Gary (beat Duke; then go party at the Super Bowl) turned into a nightmare.

... They lost the next time out to Virginia ...

Somebody needs to post the photo of the UVa student holding the sign during warm-ups: "Gone in 54 seconds" I think it said.

gus
01-27-2016, 04:15 PM
When I said "nobody remembers it," I meant that nobody remembers Duke coming back from eight down in 20 seconds. All they remember is Capel's shot.

It's tough to rank the losses from that season in terms of soul-crushingness. It's like the basketball gods were in a competition to one-up each other with new and brutal ways for Duke to lose.

There was the home game against Virginia, in which Duke led by 21 at halftime (and 23 early in the second half), before losing in double overtime. (This one particularly sucked for me. I was in law school at UVa at the time -- I had tickets to that game in Cameron, then had to drive back to Charlottesville in the dead of night and hear about it from all my friends over the next several days.)

There was the home game against Maryland, in which Joe Smith hung 40 on us -- with points 39 and 40 coming on a game-deciding tip-in that bounced around on the rim while the final horn was sounding, then dropped through.

But yeah, I think the Carolina loss beats 'em all. Coming back from double digits down in regulation, coming back from eight down with 20 seconds to go in the first overtime, Capel's shot -- the script was setting up for Duke to pull off a win for the ages, and then...nope. And, it was Carolina.

If I didn't have to "spread some Comments around before commenting on Tom B. again" you might have gotten my first negative feedback. Some memories are best left forgotten :P

Olympic Fan
01-27-2016, 04:29 PM

Personally, I've wiped the entire 1994-95 season from my mind.

weezie
01-27-2016, 04:32 PM
Fifteen years later, and Gary Williams still wakes up in a cold sweat when he dreams about that game. Granted, he always wakes up in a cold sweat.

I imagine that's why his wife split. Ugh.

devildeac
01-27-2016, 04:46 PM
The ACCDN shares a perspective from J Williams. I had never heard the part about what Battier told them at the end.

Pretty amazing. No celebrating/jersey-popping/throat-slashing/shoving opponents after the whistle/yapping at the refs ;) :rolleyes: .

JonnyWonder
01-27-2016, 05:00 PM
I remember watching it in my dorm in the basement of House C with my roommate and some friends. After we won, we were so pumped we ran out to the quad, not really sure what we expected to find. At about the same time other students started streaming out of other dorms with the same instinct to go celebrate on the quad. I can't remember if we actually burned benches or just hollered and jumped around, but it was a great bit of serendipitous joy and celebration at a time when UNC was struggling and those post-game celebrations were a bit more...regulated.

One of the greatest sports memories of my life!

DukeandMdFan
01-27-2016, 05:12 PM
At the 48 second mark, during the timeout after Jason Williams' steal and 3-pointer cuts it to 90-85, there is a timeout. During the timeout, Coach K inserts Andre Buckner to give a foul. When the game resumes, Buckner fouls Drew Nichols before the inbounds is made -- with the clock still stopped..

Minor point...

My Maryland friends will tell you that a lot of calls went against MD when they played Duke in 2001...

However, I don't think this is one of them - so you can enjoy the comeback guilt-free - unless the rule has changed since then.

By rule, players are required to "sit a tick" before they re-enter, but they can be taken out of the game before they "play a tick".

Per the current NCAA Rule Book, free to download here http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4397-2015-2016-and-2016-2017-ncaa-mens-basketball-rules-and-interpretations.aspx

Rule 3; Section 6. Article 1. j "A player who has been withdrawn or replaced by a substitute may re-enter the game at the next opportunity to substitute, provided that the game clock has been properly started after the withdrawal or replacement."

Rule 3; Section 6. Article 1. k "A player who legally enters the game during a dead ball may leave the game during that same dead-ball period without penalty."

(Additionally, the ball became "live" when it was at the disposal of the free throw shooter, even though the clock didn't start.)

Perhaps, this is what Coach K was asking the official about. I couldn't tell who was replacing who. If Buckner substituted for Dunleavy and then Duhon substituted for Buckner, it would have been legal.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-27-2016, 05:14 PM
Brad is one of my favorite broadcasters and one of a few unc players that I actually like. Noted that I didn't say uncheat when it comes to Brad. I'm sure this young man from Kings Mountain(I believe) obtained his education by actually going to class. GoDuke!

Living in Asheville I run into him from time to time. Nice fellow.

Saw the Evil Capel doing broadcast the other night. Didn't listen long enough to get a feel, but one hopes he might be "fair and balanced."

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-27-2016, 05:16 PM

Can't spork you, but would if I could. Would be double sweet as my neighbor is a Hole.

Indoor66
01-27-2016, 05:27 PM
Is there a reason I have seen no reference to the comeback in the final four in '01. That one was pretty dramatic as well.

Bostondevil
01-27-2016, 05:31 PM
15 years ago, I was watching the game with my 8 year old son, now a senior at Duke. We were both very upset when the hubby said, and I quote, "Eh, there's still a minute left. A lot can happen in a minute."

kAzE
01-27-2016, 05:49 PM
I always love reliving that moment. Thanks for posting it!

kmspeaks
01-27-2016, 06:13 PM

Awesome, thanks for posting! My high school softball team did the same thing. Our goal was a state championship so we decided we wouldn't celebrate on the field after a win until we accomplished that goal. After every game we'd sprint to line up, shake hands, then sprint off the field, people thought we were crazy because there were some awesome games and great comebacks during the 3 seasons it took us to finally win one but they never got a reaction from us. They even wrote about it in the local newspaper. Glad to see somebody else, especially a Duke guy, and especially Shane, agree with us.

devildeac
01-27-2016, 06:39 PM

Can't spork you, but would if I could. Would be double sweet as my neighbor is a Hole.

Alas, despite 5888, I too was unable to spork this hilarious response as I've been overly promiscuous the last 24 hours and need to find another recipient beside CB&B.

Tripping William
01-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Personally, I've wiped the entire 1994-95 season from my mind.

I sooooo wish it was that easy for me.

Anyway, I'm just posting so my signature shows up in this thread. We're all so damn lucky..... :)

brevity
01-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Even crazier that we had the 20+ point comeback against them in the Final Four.

Duke had another historic comeback against the Terps in the Final Four -- but that was a different kind of comeback (from a huge deficit, but no real last-second drama).

Is there a reason I have seen no reference to the comeback in the final four in '01. That one was pretty dramatic as well.

Sometimes the discussion on DBR falls short. This is not one of those times.

Doria
01-27-2016, 07:55 PM

Did it for you. Ha ha ha...

I watched that '95 loss to UNC while recovering from open heart surgery. That was a rough period in my life, but oddly, I am still fond of that team, which never seemed to quit, even when they weren't ostensibly playing for anything but pride.

But that MD video made my day, too. Hadn't thought about that game in a long time.

FerryFor50
01-27-2016, 11:25 PM
ESPN sprung a surprise on Scott Van Pelt and made him relive it:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14656514&ex_cid=sportscenterSVP&sf19859732=1

Worth watching to see him squirm.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-28-2016, 12:26 AM
Did it for you. Ha ha ha...

You burned my neighbor's car?

I will cover for you.

jacone21
01-28-2016, 12:35 AM
I watched that '95 loss to UNC while recovering from open heart surgery.

Wow! That's like getting the engine rebuilt in your Porsche, then redlining it for 3 hours at the track on the first day out of the shop. Hope you gave the ticker a little bit of a break in period before that game!

As for the "gone in 54 seconds" game, no retelling is complete without mentioning badass Nate calmly knocking down those free throws.

Bluedevil114
01-28-2016, 06:16 AM
I was there. Cole Field House in College Park sitting opposite end behind the basket 20 rows up. I always had tickets to the Duke Maryland game in a College Park and yes I was called every name in the book. This was the only game ever there that I actually felt uncomfortable after the game. I quickly got out of the building. I really felt a riot was brewing later to find out Carlos Boozer's mom got hit with a bottle. This game from start to the last minute was all Maryland. I sat on my hands most of the game as it seemed as if Duke had no chance. Then I could not believe what I had just seen. The most epic basketball comebacks ever. Then I hurried to my car with the biggest smile. Go Duke.

grad_devil
01-28-2016, 10:56 AM

I believe it wasn't Kings Mountain, but Black Mountain/Swannanoa - he went to Owen High School (as did former NFL QB Brad Johnson).

Picking nits, but isn't that what message boards are for? :)

Doria
01-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Wow! That's like getting the engine rebuilt in your Porsche, then redlining it for 3 hours at the track on the first day out of the shop. Hope you gave the ticker a little bit of a break in period before that game!

As for the "gone in 54 seconds" game, no retelling is complete without mentioning badass Nate calmly knocking down those free throws.

Ha ha, yeah, my memory is very spotty from that period, but it seems like half their losses were just within reach. But that one is very clear in memory. Looking back, it was probably just as well that was the 95 season. Because of the health issue, I wasn't really able to get as worked up as usual (at the time, it just didn't seem worth it, comparatively).

I feel like Nate James knocked down a lot of badass last/key shots and free throws for us, in general. But that was a highlight, no doubt.

Stray Gator
01-28-2016, 01:19 PM
. . . I feel like Nate James knocked down a lot of badass last/key shots and free throws for us, in general. But that was a highlight, no doubt.

Nate had yet an even better kill shot in store for the Terps at the 2001 ACC Tourney, where his tip-in basket with 2.0 seconds left in the game enabled Duke to survive and advance to the championship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA-GiUc20DM

grad_devil
01-28-2016, 01:45 PM
Nate had yet an even better kill shot in store for the Terps at the 2001 ACC Tourney, where his tip-in basket with 2.0 seconds left in the game enabled Duke to survive and advance to the championship:

And if you don't want to watch the entire video, I have a screen grab to dispute the notion that Nate fouled Terrance Morris - looks the other way around to me.

Tom B.
01-28-2016, 02:03 PM

That tip-in was extra sweet because it not only downed Maryland, but it also sent us to the finals where we handed Carolina an epic beatdown. Duke led 23-20 with 9:00 left in the first half, then we hit Carolina with a run and the Carolina team visibly quit on Doh. We led 50-30 at halftime, then put it in cruise control the rest of the way and coasted to a 79-53 win.

You can watch that game at the ACC vault. (http://vault.theacc.com/) Just click on the drop-down menu on the left to search games by team, then click on "Duke" and scroll to the link for the 2001 ACC championship game.