PDA

View Full Version : Duke and UNC are mirrors (on the court)

freshmanjs
01-26-2016, 02:06 PM
There are many examples of this, but it strikes me that:

In 2010, UNC was coming off its 2nd national championship in 5 years. It seemed the recruiting momentum was all with Roy. Barnes chose UNC. Everything for Duke was looking bleak. Williams left. Henderson left. Duke had a team of talented returning players (not lottery picks) that had not gotten beyond the sweet 16. Duke wins NC and Carolina struggles badly.

In 2016, with Duke coming off its 2nd NC in 6 years and all the recruiting momentum, UNC has a team of talented returning players (not lottery picks) that had not gotten beyond the sweet 16 and the cloud of scandal hanging over it. . Duke struggles. UNC looks very good. We'll see how it ends.

Such a fascinating rivalry.

Billy Dat
01-26-2016, 02:28 PM
It is an interesting comparison, although UNC was #1 or #2 preseason in the polls and expected to contend for a title this year. In 2009-10, we were ranked closer to the bottom of the top 10 to start the year. Another major difference is our lack of a major academic scandal threatening to permanently stain our integrity and ability to draw talent ending with an eventual transition to NAIA.

I also hope the outcomes are different - for the love of all that is sacred!

Olympic Fan
01-26-2016, 03:26 PM
It is an interesting comparison, although UNC was #1 or #2 preseason in the polls and expected to contend for a title this year. In 2009-10, we were ranked closer to the bottom of the top 10 to start the year. Another major difference is our lack of a major academic scandal threatening to permanently stain our integrity and ability to draw talent ending with an eventual transition to NAIA.

Going into the 2009-10 season, UNC was preseason No. 6 ... Duke was preseason No. 9

Going into the 2015-16 season, UNC was preseason No. 1, Duke was preseason No. 5

So make of that what you will ... I will add one similarity. In the fall of 2009, UNC crushed a lot of Duke hopes by signing the No. 1 player in the class (Harrison Barnes) ... in the fall of 2015, Duke landed the No. 1 player in the class (Harry Giles). I don't think they had the same expectation for Giles that we had for Barnes, but it's still an in-state guy that UNC should have owned.

Now, if we end up playing in the NIT ... I'll concede the mirror theory.

Billy Dat
01-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Going into the 2009-10 season, UNC was preseason No. 6 ... Duke was preseason No. 9

Going into the 2015-16 season, UNC was preseason No. 1, Duke was preseason No. 5

So make of that what you will ... I will add one similarity. In the fall of 2009, UNC crushed a lot of Duke hopes by signing the No. 1 player in the class (Harrison Barnes) ... in the fall of 2015, Duke landed the No. 1 player in the class (Harry Giles). I don't think they had the same expectation for Giles that we had for Barnes, but it's still an in-state guy that UNC should have owned.

Now, if we end up playing in the NIT ... I'll concede the mirror theory.

I'd venture Ingram was more akin to Barnes - UNC had the Stackhouse connection and the fact that BI was leaning UNC all the way until the academic scandal gave him pause (I may be painting with broad strokes). Despite UNC's success thus far this season, it's worked out for Brandon's 1-and-done aspirations as he's been dazzlingly showcased and has people questioning whether or not he should be #1 over Ben Simmons this June (not a lot of people, but the fact that the story even exists says something).

jv001
01-26-2016, 09:00 PM
The Uncheat fans used to say that Coach K held his players back from early entry to the NBA. Now it's the Duke fans saying old cheat roy holds back his players from early entry to the NBA. I say there is very little comparison to the cheats down the road. Duke does things the right way and the Cheats, well they just cheat their way to success. GoDuke!

FerryFor50
01-26-2016, 09:16 PM
I'd suggest that this season, Duke and UVA are mirrors of each other.

UVA just barely beat Wake (well, Wake helped a lot by collapsing) and has had numerous other close calls in games. Difference is, they've hit big shots down the stretch and gotten key stops. Flip the script (and get a few bounce to go the other way) and you're looking at UVA falling out of the top 25 and everyone asking "what happened to UVA?"

Wheat/"/"/"
01-26-2016, 09:24 PM
I'd venture Ingram was more akin to Barnes - UNC had the Stackhouse connection and the fact that BI was leaning UNC all the way until the academic scandal gave him pause (I may be painting with broad strokes). Despite UNC's success thus far this season, it's worked out for Brandon's 1-and-done aspirations as he's been dazzlingly showcased and has people questioning whether or not he should be #1 over Ben Simmons this June (not a lot of people, but the fact that the story even exists says something).

Duke was the right fit for Ingram. Maximum PT available for a great coach that wants him as a wing.

At UNC, he would not be getting the same amount of exposure on a deep team for a coach that will play deep into his bench. And he knew that. After seeing him play, he probably would have beat out Jackson for the starting spot by now, but he wouldn't have started early in the season at UNC like he did for Duke.

He knew he was one and done...so why not play his year for the defending champs and be a team focus player...for the USA basketball coach with the latest and greatest NBA connections?

Smart kid, I'd say.

subzero02
01-26-2016, 10:37 PM

I salute the clarity of your thoughts but there is no need to pollute the NAIA with the likes of ewe in sea.

grad_devil
01-27-2016, 08:49 AM
Duke was the right fit for Ingram. Maximum PT available for a great coach that wants him as a wing.

At UNC, he would not be getting the same amount of exposure on a deep team for a coach that will play deep into his bench. And he knew that. After seeing him play, he probably would have beat out Jackson for the starting spot by now, but he wouldn't have started early in the season at UNC like he did for Duke.

He knew he was one and done...so why not play his year for the defending champs and be a team focus player...for the USA basketball coach with the latest and greatest NBA connections?

Smart kid, I'd say. [emphasis mine]

I must say, Wheat - this is the most positive post I've ever seen you type about Duke without the obligatory backhanded compliments/digs*.

It's not much, but I'll take it. Kudos to you, sir.

*Of course, I may just be too dim to see the slight - I'll take it anyway!

RepoMan
01-27-2016, 09:39 AM
*Of course, I may just be too dim to see the slight - I'll take it anyway!

The slight is the suggestion that K gets an unfair recruiting advantage through his exposure as Team USA coach. You just have to look closer next time!