PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Miami (Jan 25, 2016)

JBDuke
01-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their 80-69 loss to Miami tonight?

FerryFor50
01-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Gotta be Ingram. He fought through a lot of contact to earn his points and rebounds.

jv001
01-25-2016, 09:44 PM
Gotta be Ingram. He fought through a lot of contact to earn his points and rebounds.

My vote for Brandon as well and I agree about fighting through contact. Both Brandon and Grayson were bounced around like a pinball tonight. GoDuke!

OZZIE4DUKE
01-25-2016, 11:24 PM
I was at the game. I choose to abstain from voting. I saw lots of individual "I've got to drive this ball to the bucket" from four different players, very little team oriented passing and a surprising reluctance to put up the three from everyone. I was not happy with how we played tonight. We played like a very mediocre team. I think we're better than that. So no one gets my vote tonight.

Troublemaker
01-26-2016, 12:05 AM
I was at the game. I choose to abstain from voting. I saw lots of individual "I've got to drive this ball to the bucket" from four different players, very little team oriented passing and a surprising reluctance to put up the three from everyone. I was not happy with how we played tonight. We played like a very mediocre team. I think we're better than that. So no one gets my vote tonight.

If you watch Coach K's postgame presser, he was proud of Duke's effort tonight. I wasn't at the game like you but from my sofa, this looked like a case of an opponent that's better (at least right now) who also happened to submit an A+ performance. Miami was lights out. I was even impressed when we were trying to sneak back into the game at the end, that Miami didn't make any mistakes and just shut the door on us. Many opponents would've allowed us to get closer and have an anxious final minute.

jv001
01-26-2016, 09:52 AM
Looking at Neal's +/- thread I see that Plumlee and Thornton did well and Jones and Kennard didn't did not. I picked Brandon because of the 19 points and 10 rebounds. He also played well in the zone defenses we used. Other players were caught flat footed and also got caught not watching man-ball. Part of that I believe is the fatigue factor. GoDuke!

Jeffrey
01-26-2016, 10:03 AM
I saw lots of individual "I've got to drive this ball to the bucket" from four different players, very little team oriented passing and a surprising reluctance to put up the three from everyone. I was not happy with how we played tonight. We played like a very mediocre team. I think we're better than that.

IMO, our recent in-game adjustments (Cuse and Miami) have been weak. We should have adjusted, when we could not hit a three and Cuse extended their zone, and played the Cuse zone the way you're describing. IMO, we played Cuse, at home, like a very mediocre team. I think we're better than that.

elvis14
01-26-2016, 10:04 AM

Looking at the extremely low number of votes cast after last night's debacle, I'd say that Ozzie isn't alone in his abstinence or in his opinion on the play of the game.

left_hook_lacey
01-26-2016, 10:56 AM
I voted for Brandon because without him, it's blowout city. Like, ugly, look away blowout city.

His scoring was key, but there were also times when he was the one only that could consistently get in the lane and make something happen. He also seemed to be the only one causing any sort of disruption for Miami in our zones.

I get that it's hard to pick a "MOTM" in a tough loss, but it's quite clear Brandon carried his weight and then some in this one.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-26-2016, 11:06 AM
I gave it to Thornton, as I mentioned in my post game write up, having been there and seeing the contrast in him vs the Miami guards and how he held his own really was the main positive from this game. By no means did he have a spectacular game, but he had a solid game in a difficult situation. He is becoming a reliable option, and that is great news.

jv001
01-26-2016, 01:48 PM
I gave it to Thornton, as I mentioned in my post game write up, having been there and seeing the contrast in him vs the Miami guards and how he held his own really was the main positive from this game. By no means did he have a spectacular game, but he had a solid game in a difficult situation. He is becoming a reliable option, and that is great news.

For sure, Thornton is the only Duke defender that can come close to staying in front of his man. I think he will be one of the bench players that will only get better. I just hope it's soon. GoDuke!