PDA

View Full Version : A radical idea: Retire No. 3 in honor of all three Plumlees

scottdude8
01-25-2016, 08:02 PM
While watching the game tonight I started thinking about the topic of jersey retirement. If we're lucky enough to retain Grayson for four years I think he's the obvious candidate to be the next number raised to the rafters. But I also thought of a fairly unusual idea: what if we retire a number, say No. 3, in honor of Miles, Mason, and Marshall Plumlee, collectively?

To be honest I'm not entirely sure how I feel about my own idea. But I'm curious to hear what people think about it. Here are the things I was thinking about when this idea came to me:
—Having three brothers play for a single school is near unprecedented in the history of collegiate basketball, let alone three brothers who all graduated and were major contributors to successful teams. And all three Plumlees have been model citizens and beloved by the team and the Duke community... I was lucky enough to privately interview all three in my time at The Chronicle and they all came off as kind and thoughtful individuals.
—This would be a great way to not only honor the players themselves, but the great Plumlee family and all they've done for Duke basketball.
—In the one-and-done era, it may be a long time (again, with Grayson being perhaps the only foreseeable possibility) until a player satisfies the so-called "requirements" for jersey retirement. And it's already been the longest gap in the Coach K era between retired jerseys. I think it's nice to have retired numbers from each "era" in Duke basketball, or at least those that have been especially successful. I know as a 2012 grad that I'd be sad to come back to Cameron with my kids in the future and not be able to point to a jersey in the rafters representing my time in Durham, especially being there for a National Title. Which leads to...
—Duke's first three National Title teams all had at least one member get their jersey retired. I think this is an important way to remember those teams in addition to the National Championship banners. But the 2010 and 2015 teams don't (and in all likelihood won't) have a number retired (people made the argument for both Singler and Smith in 2010, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen... and while we all love Quinn, I don't think his entire career merits retirement. Again, Grayson may be the potential answer to half this issue.) Miles and Mason were important bench contributors in 2010, as Marshall was for the 2015 team. (On a side note, I know at least amongst my friends this issue is something that has been especially frustrating with regards to retired numbers, and I believe it has been discussed on the board here as well.)

I'm sure many of you will vehemently and boisterously disagree with my proposal here, which I honestly expect. But I think it's an admittedly unusual, but perhaps interesting, idea to honor not only the players, but the two National Title teams, especially given the way college basketball is evolving. Four year superstar players are fast going out of style, so future jersey retirements may have to go off the beaten path.

Like I said, I'm not even sure how I stand on my admittedly half-baked idea. But I'm curious to see what the board thinks. Lets pull this one out against the Canes!

BigWayne
01-25-2016, 08:31 PM
I don't see this Plumlee thing going anywhere. Recognition in the museum area of the stadium maybe, but not a retired jersey.

If a one and done picks up a national player of the year award and comes back to graduate, I could see them getting retired. Otherwise, it's going to have to be someone like Grayson or Singler that improves over time and gets to all america 1st team status or NPOY in the junior or senior year.

MartyClark
01-25-2016, 08:33 PM
While watching the game tonight I started thinking about the topic of jersey retirement. If we're lucky enough to retain Grayson for four years I think he's the obvious candidate to be the next number raised to the rafters. But I also thought of a fairly unusual idea: what if we retire a number, say No. 3, in honor of Miles, Mason, and Marshall Plumlee, collectively?

To be honest I'm not entirely sure how I feel about my own idea. But I'm curious to hear what people think about it. Here are the things I was thinking about when this idea came to me:
—Having three brothers play for a single school is near unprecedented in the history of collegiate basketball, let alone three brothers who all graduated and were major contributors to successful teams. And all three Plumlees have been model citizens and beloved by the team and the Duke community... I was lucky enough to privately interview all three in my time at The Chronicle and they all came off as kind and thoughtful individuals.
—This would be a great way to not only honor the players themselves, but the great Plumlee family and all they've done for Duke basketball.
—In the one-and-done era, it may be a long time (again, with Grayson being perhaps the only foreseeable possibility) until a player satisfies the so-called "requirements" for jersey retirement. And it's already been the longest gap in the Coach K era between retired jerseys. I think it's nice to have retired numbers from each "era" in Duke basketball, or at least those that have been especially successful. I know as a 2012 grad that I'd be sad to come back to Cameron with my kids in the future and not be able to point to a jersey in the rafters representing my time in Durham, especially being there for a National Title. Which leads to...
—Duke's first three National Title teams all had at least one member get their jersey retired. I think this is an important way to remember those teams in addition to the National Championship banners. But the 2010 and 2015 teams don't (and in all likelihood won't) have a number retired (people made the argument for both Singler and Smith in 2010, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen... and while we all love Quinn, I don't think his entire career merits retirement. Again, Grayson may be the potential answer to half this issue.) Miles and Mason were important bench contributors in 2010, as Marshall was for the 2015 team. (On a side note, I know at least amongst my friends this issue is something that has been especially frustrating with regards to retired numbers, and I believe it has been discussed on the board here as well.)

I'm sure many of you will vehemently and boisterously disagree with my proposal here, which I honestly expect. But I think it's an admittedly unusual, but perhaps interesting, idea to honor not only the players, but the two National Title teams, especially given the way college basketball is evolving. Four year superstar players are fast going out of style, so future jersey retirements may have to go off the beaten path.

Like I said, I'm not even sure how I stand on my admittedly half-baked idea. But I'm curious to see what the board thinks. Lets pull this one out against the Canes!

I appreciate half-baked ideas and have floated a few of them also. As a Duke fan, I greatly appreciate the Plumlee family. I think that, collectively, they are unique in Duke basketball history.

I have to give you a thumbs down on this. Respectfully not vehemently or boisterously. In this case, I don't think the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. MPII was the best bur individually, in my opinion, he doesn't qualify for jersey retirement. With so many great Duke players, I think you'd be hard pressed to retire MPII's jersey.

Good idea for a thread.

scottdude8
01-25-2016, 08:42 PM
Yeah, to be clear I don't honestly think it would ever happen... but thought it might lead to an interesting discussion about both the Plumlees and jersey retirement.

eddiehaskell
01-25-2016, 09:06 PM
I say no. None of the Plumlees have been top 10-15 Duke players all time. I say individuals earn having their number retired.

brevity
01-25-2016, 10:24 PM
We should honor the Plumlee brothers, but not with a retired jersey. Here's what we do:

Take a photo of them together, grinning and clenching their fists to show off their championship rings. Enlarge that image to a massive poster that is the size of a banner, and then hang it from the rafters... of the Dean Dome.

The tweet has since been deleted, but a few sites (and this DBR thread (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?35828-Plumlee-Brothers-NCAA-Titles)) have preserved it:

Kendall Marshall ‏@KButter5

every Plumlee brother has a ring. now I'm pissed

8:57 PM - 6 Apr 2015

Never forget.

OldPhiKap
01-26-2016, 07:22 AM
I'll give you big props for such an original idea. Just not feeling it though.

Maybe more like an eternal flame outside, for "the eternal Plumlee" -- are we going on a decade now?

devildeac
01-26-2016, 07:31 AM
I'll give you big props for such an original idea. Just not feeling it though.

Maybe more like an eternal flame outside, for "the eternal Plumlee" -- are we going on a decade now?

Wonder if she can dunk:

http://www.und.com/sports/w-volley/mtt/maddie_plumlee_892753.html

Oh, wait, wrong sport:o .

fuse
01-26-2016, 08:47 AM
A three headed jersey retirement is an interesting idea.
My preference would be to see them in the Hall of Honour.

uh_no
01-26-2016, 09:12 AM
A three headed jersey retirement is an interesting idea.
My preference would be to see them in the Hall of Honour.

my preference would be to see them all have 7' tall sons that play for us in 20 years or so.

Indoor66
01-26-2016, 09:37 AM
The fact that all three are National Champions is deserving of an honoring in Cameron. Retirement, not so much.

Another question. Is there another instance of three brothers being National Champions - and - at the same University?

Ichabod Drain
01-26-2016, 10:25 AM
The fact that all three are National Champions is deserving of an honoring in Cameron. Retirement, not so much.

Another question. Is there another instance of three brothers being National Champions - and - at the same University?

I highly doubt it.

UCLA has three brothers committed over the next four years. Lonzo, Liangelo, and Lamelo, aka the brothers Ball. Here's an amusing box score from one of their AAU games. (Games are 32 minutes long)

TKG
01-26-2016, 10:54 AM

Never forget.

Each Plumlee will leave with a degree as well. Although Kendall Marshall is probably less bothered by that fact.

duke74
01-26-2016, 11:23 AM
I'm in the minority here. This is an incredible achievement (and contribution) by a wonderful family. I support a symbolic jersey retirement, regardless of the totality "criteria" so often discussed here. (Perhaps the mean of their uniform numbers? Oops, that would be 22...5, 21, 40)

If not that, then, some sort of recognition is no doubt warranted for their contributions individually, and in the aggregate, and on and off the court, as others have suggested.

We were/are fortunate to have them in our extended family.

Olympic Fan
01-26-2016, 04:40 PM
I'm not in favor of a retired jersey, but I think Duke should do something to honor the Plumlees. I like brevity's suggestion of a photo with the three brothers, their fists thrust at the cameras, showing off their championship rings. Take the photo, blow it up and hang it prominently on the concourse.

I can't think of three brothers who all played on national title teams (although we do have two Kellys with rings)

The ACC tracks brother scoring combos. Right now, the three Plumlees have combined for 2,326 points. That's the sixth best total in ACC history -- and just eight points short of passing the 2,333 that Jon and Drew Barry scored at Georgia Tech.

The first spot is out of reach -- the four Mahaffey brothers scored 3,555 points in 12 combined seasons at Clemson in the 1960s.

Jay and Tom McMillen scored 3,107 in six combined seasons at Maryland in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

But none of the players mentioned ever won a national title ring ...

duke74
01-26-2016, 04:56 PM
I'm not in favor of a retired jersey, but I think Duke should do something to honor the Plumlees. I like brevity's suggestion of a photo with the three brothers, their fists thrust at the cameras, showing off their championship rings. Take the photo, blow it up and hang it prominently on the concourse.

I can't think of three brothers who all played on national title teams (although we do have two Kellys with rings)

The ACC tracks brother scoring combos. Right now, the three Plumlees have combined for 2,326 points. That's the sixth best total in ACC history -- and just eight points short of passing the 2,333 that Jon and Drew Barry scored at Georgia Tech.

The first spot is out of reach -- the four Mahaffey brothers scored 3,555 points in 12 combined seasons at Clemson in the 1960s.

Jay and Tom McMillen scored 3,107 in six combined seasons at Maryland in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

But none of the players mentioned ever won a national title ring ...
Interesting stats. The Barrys were good, but were any of the combos dominated by one who happened to have a brother or two who also played (like the Hank and Tommy Aaron trivia question, I think, from MLB).

I don't have the stats, but I would think that the three MPs might have more similar stats than others (at least MP1 and 2 vs 3).

cspan37421
01-26-2016, 07:15 PM
"three-headed jersey retirement" - made me think of Monty Python and the Holy Grail ...

and that box score of the brothers Ball reminded me of the Dan Jenkins book, You Gotta Play Hurt, in which there were twin athletes whose names were pronounced o-RON-gelo and le-MON-gelo.

Thanks for the smiles!

(no retirement, but recognition - I love the poster idea with the fists and championship rings).

OldPhiKap
01-26-2016, 07:21 PM
Two words -- "Plumlee Pavillion"

Pghdukie
01-26-2016, 07:42 PM
What's the chances of having MP3 honored at Sr Night. Give him his due. Then have MP's 1 and 2 join him and the parents and give the family a very heart-felt THANK YOU.

Indoor66
01-26-2016, 08:02 PM
What's the chances of having MP3 honored at Sr Night. Give him his due. Then have MP's 1 and 2 join him and the parents and give the family a very heart-felt THANK YOU.

That would be wonderful.

Tripping William
01-26-2016, 08:26 PM

If the Crazies don't chant, "One more kid!" it will be a missed opportunity.

Olympic Fan
01-26-2016, 09:40 PM
Interesting stats. The Barrys were good, but were any of the combos dominated by one who happened to have a brother or two who also played (like the Hank and Tommy Aaron trivia question, I think, from MLB).

I don't have the stats, but I would think that the three MPs might have more similar stats than others (at least MP1 and 2 vs 3).

I've always loved the Hank and Tommie Aaron trivia question ... but there is not anything like that on the ACC list ... well, not at the top -- Greg Buckner of Clemson and Andre Buckner of Duke combined for 1,809 points -- 55 for Andre and 1,754 for Greg (good for 11th place).

The top ones are fairly balanced.

1. 1,171 for Randy Mahaffey, 1,019 for Richie, 728 for Tom and 637 for Donnie
2. 1,807 for Tom McMillen, 1,324 for Jay
3. 1,601 for Jeff Capel of Duke, 1,447 for Jason Capel of UNC,
4. 1,725 for Trevor Booker, 1,154 for Devin Booker
5. 1,253 for Drew Barry, 1,080 for Jon Barry
6. 1,384 for Mason Plumlee, 650 for Miles, 299 (and counting) for Marshall

uh_no
01-26-2016, 10:23 PM
If the Crazies don't chant, "One more kid!" it will be a missed opportunity.

they already have.

and isn't the plumlee pavilion the one over on 501 in chapel hill?

the plumlees are 3-0 as seniors there!

gep
01-27-2016, 12:01 AM

That would be wonderful.

I think this just HAS TO HAPPEN. Yes, Marshall DESERVES his "senior moment" (no, not the "senior, over age 65 kind") but after he's done, when he's thanking everyone including his family (I would guess), Duke should honor the entire family. What a great opportunity :cool:

wavedukefan70s
01-27-2016, 05:59 AM
We should honor the Plumlee brothers, but not with a retired jersey. Here's what we do:

Take a photo of them together, grinning and clenching their fists to show off their championship rings. Enlarge that image to a massive poster that is the size of a banner, and then hang it from the rafters... of the Dean Dome.

The tweet has since been deleted, but a few sites (and this DBR thread (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?35828-Plumlee-Brothers-NCAA-Titles)) have preserved it:

Never forget.

Ah 0600 .that was good .it definitely changed the trajectory of my morning.